Sunday, March 16, 2014

KU basketball earns No. 2 seed in South region for NCAA Tournament

Jayhawks to tip off NCAA Tournament run at 3:10 p.m. Friday

Kansas guard Wayne Selden gets pumped after a Jayhawk dunk against Oklahoma State during the first half on Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Kansas University men's basketball team earned a No. 2 seed in the 2014 NCAA Tournament and will open its run at 3:10 p.m. CDT on Friday in St. Louis against 15th-seeded Eastern Kentucky. The game will be broadcast on TBS.

The Jayhawks (24-9), who won their 10th straight Big 12 regular season title earlier this season, were put into the South regional, where Florida sits as the No. 1 seed.

Game time set for 3:10 p.m. Friday

The 2nd-seeded Jayhawks and 15th-seeded Colonels will square off at 3:10 p.m. CDT on Friday.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self reacts to NCAA Tournament bracket

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self reacts to the NCAA Tournament bracket on Sunday evening, addressing KU's first opponent, Eastern Kentucky, as well as a potential rematch with New Mexico, and the tough ticket in St. Louis, Mo., where Kansas will play Friday at the same site as Wichita State, Kentucky ...

Download podcast

Bill Self press conference

Check out Benton Smith's "Smithology" blog for a quick blow-by-blow recap of Self's reaction to Sunday's NCAA Tournament draw for the Jayhawks.

Bill Self reacts to NCAA Tourney draw

Also, here's a quick look back at KU's seeds and how the Jayhawks fared during Self's first 10 seasons at Kansas.

KU's seed history under Self

Reader poll

Which team from the South bracket should No. 2 seed Kansas be most worried about in its quest to reach the Final Four?

• No. 1 Florida 46% 1258 votes
  • No. 11 Dayton 0% 1 vote
  • No. 12 Stephen F. Austin 0% 9 votes
  • No. 13 Tulsa 0% 9 votes
  • No. 14 Western Michigan 0% 7 votes
  • No. 15 Eastern Kentucky 14% 402 votes

2712 total votes.

A win on Friday would advance the Jayhawks to the third round, where they would face the winner of the No. 7-No. 10 match-up between New Mexico and Stanford on Sunday, March 23.

The Jayhawks played 7th-seeded New Mexico earlier this season at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., and won 80-63 behind 18 points, 6 rebounds and 4 blocks from Joel Embiid and 21 points and 9 rebounds from Perry Ellis.

Should the Jayhawks advance, fourth- and fifth-round games in Memphis would be played Thursday and Saturday of the following week.

Stay tuned in to KUsports.com throughout the evening for more on the Jayhawks' draw, including reaction from KU coach Bill Self and the players.

EASTERN KENTUCKY AT A GLANCE:

Record: 24-9

Conference: Ohio Valley

Mascot: Colonels

Last 12 games: 10-2

High-profile opponents: at North Carolina State (75-56 L); at Wisconsin (86-61 L); at VCU (71-68 L, OT).

Double digit scorers: 6-foot guard Glenn Cosey (18.8); 6-2 guard Corey Walden (14.1)

Top rebounders: 6-8 forward Eric Stutz (4.7); 6-2 guard Corey Walden (4.2); 6-5 guard Tarius Johnson (3.6).

All-Conference honorees: Walden, OVC defensive player of the year; Cosey, all-OVC first team.

Quick bio: Led by nine-year head coach Jeff Neubauer, the Colonels finished second in the Eastern Division of the OVC regular season with an 11-5 record. The Colonels have six seniors on the roster, compared to their counterpart Jayhawks, and are led by veteran duo Glenn Cosey and Corey Walden. Cosey, a senior guard, sets the tone with 18.8 points per game, while Walden, the OVC Defensive Player of the Year, joins him in the back court and scores 14.4 per contest. The two power the Colonels to a 14.7 assist average. Although KU will have the advantage on the glass, averaging 38.1 boards per game compared to 26.2 for EKU, a small and quick Colonel lineup swipes an impressive 8.8 steals per game.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 1 week ago

So now it begins. StL and Memphis, which hopefully will be a nice homecoming for Black. I still have that game tape vs UF and plan to review the dynamic posting we had after that game.

Hope we get Embiid back soon!

Walter Bridges 6 months, 1 week ago

Not sure that we "earned" a 2 seed as much as we lost a 1 seed. Still better than what I was expecting.

Tyson Ailshie 6 months, 1 week ago

That possible third round match up versus UNM would concern me without Embiid. Let's hope we can get by them and face Syracuse in the Sweet 16 with Embiid back in our front court.

Steve Jacob 6 months, 1 week ago

Watch out for Stanford. That team is OLD.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 1 week ago

At least it is not the toughest region. We should get to the Sweet 16. If we get Joel back by then who knows.

WSU is going to either show they can play tough competition or they will be going home early...

Mike Riches 6 months, 1 week ago

Seriously! New Mexico is a tough 2nd round (3rd round) draw, but I'd much rather have them in the first weekend than Kentucky! That's a monster region...

Andrew Washington 6 months, 1 week ago

What are they trying to do to Wichita State? It is ridiculous..Kentucky an 8 seed? They have played Florida pretty well the past two meetings and have the sheer talent for a number 1 spot. Louisville a 4 seed? They're one team that is actually playing like a number 1 right now. Oh yeah then you have Duke and Michigan in the bracket as well.. both of those teams were arguments for a number 1 just a few hours ago. Nice. giving them 4 teams that were in discussion for a 1 seed at some point in the season. Hey at least they got St. Louis region.

Shane Johnston 6 months, 1 week ago

Ridiculous draw for Wichita State. I love it. Nobody top seed wants to see either Louisville and Kentucky. Based on how they had been playing, both were going to be underseeded a bit, especially relative to where they started the year.

I never considered UL in the discussion for a 1, though, and Kentucky was looking really uneven in the middle of the conference season.

Andrew Washington 6 months, 1 week ago

Possible teams that WSU could face on the path to the championship.

Kentucky Louisville Michigan Arizona Florida

Absurd-but they'll definitely have a chance to live up to their name

Aaron Levine 6 months, 1 week ago

Could replace Duke with Michigan...

Robert Brown 6 months, 1 week ago

Don't understand the hate for WSU. To me, they are a great story. I could see the. Beating either UK or KSU in the 3rd round. They are experienced and would have a chip on its shoulder.

Shane Johnston 6 months, 1 week ago

I just don't like the fact that they haven't played a single team this year that was ranked when the game was played. Three wins against the RPI top 50... I don't think WSU should even have a one seed. They benefit from a weaker than expected year at the top of college basketball. If they don't make the final four last year, do you think they are a one seed this year? I don't.

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 1 week ago

Hey, Shane, please go through the past 25 years of the NCAA's and show me an undefeated team that did not rate as a #1 seed.

They DID make the Final Four last year, and they're supposed to be better than last year. As much a KU fan as I am, and would root for KU in the match up, the fact that you're critical of a state team is weird to me.

Shane Johnston 6 months, 1 week ago

In the last 25 years there are probably just as many undefeated NON-1 seeds as there are 1 seeds with zero wins against ranked opponents.

Also, it's not like Wichita State is the only state team. There is another one I enjoy being critical of every once and awhile. How can I resist when I hear references to "power towels", "Octogons of Doom" and creative signs like "That just happened"? ?

Rodney Crain 6 months, 1 week ago

I agree with Shane.

I hope WSU has an early exit.

Jack Jones 6 months, 1 week ago

Hate is a very unbecoming and unattractive attitude for Kansas University fans. In fact, outright ugly personality trait.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 1 week ago

Rodney, why do you want to see WSU exit early? They deserved a number one seeding and it appears to me that the NCAA is punishing them for forcing the committee to use up one of their valuable top seeds

Bryan Mohr 6 months, 1 week ago

The selection committee got it right, and maintained political correctness while doing so. Despite the official seedings, UL is the Midwest #1 seed, WSU #4, UK #5, and Saint Louis #8... pretty clever committee.

Shane Johnston 6 months, 1 week ago

Interesting. That would make KSU collateral damage.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 1 week ago

Total BS for the Shockers. I think the selection committee is punishing Wichita State for forcing them to give up one of their precious 1 seeds.

I'm not sure I remember a 1 seed getting such a tough matchup so early in the tournament.

Rich Hetherington 6 months, 1 week ago

What I really have a problem with is Kentucky, not onty being an 8, but being an 8 in the St. Louis opening games. If they are trying to protect the #'s 1's at all, they wouldn't pit them against a team that frankly could have been a 6, in a site that's about the exact distance from the #1's campus... and we know how UK's fans travel well. I expect it to be a very strong UK crowd against WSU if they get past KSU, which I think they will, but hope that they don't.

Even having KSU there is a little harsh for the state of Kansas. No matter how the dice are thrown, we can't get our 3 teams into the Sweet 16! Oh well, there's only 1 I really route for, and that will continue. I do like it when KSU is decent though as it makes our rivalry a little more interesting.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 1 week ago

Several good points Rich. I think the selection committee deserves a black eye.

Aaron Levine 6 months, 1 week ago

I think they are hoping for an early exit for KU with New Mexico as a 7 seed. They are number 12 in the RPI, should have been on the 5 line at worst.

Andrew Washington 6 months, 1 week ago

Don't you get it they are hoping for an early exit for KU, KSU and WSU

Bryce Landon 6 months, 1 week ago

My thoughts on the NCAA Tournament bracket:

1) Given that Kansas has 9 losses, didn't make the Big 12 finals, and is 2-3 in its last 5 games, I think KU is seeded too high at #2. I'd have given them a #3.

2) Can't believe the prospect of a rematch with New Mexico! Beat them by 17 in December. If we face them again, I think we can beat them again, though not by as much.

3) I'd love the chance to rematch with Florida and avenge that beatdown in Gainesville.

4) Mizzou doesn't have to worry about getting Norfolked this year because THEY DIDN'T MAKE IT! How's that Frank Haith hire working out for them? :D

5) Sucks to see Colorado and Nebraska in the Tournament. I hate seeing Big 12 backstabbers having any success.

6) Speaking of Nebraska, how about a rematch with a former Big 12 school in Baylor? I hope Baylor crushes the Nubbers and sends them to 0-7 all-time in the NCAAs.

7) How about having three Big 12 teams in one region! (Baylor, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in the West). If OU and OSU handle their business in the first weekend, we'll get a special NCAA Tournament edition of the Bedlam rivalry.

8) Not that I think OSU deserved to be in. They finished below .500 in the Big 12, lost 7 straight at one point, underachieved in not winning the Big 12, and didn't make it past the Big 12 quarterfinals. They should not be in this year's tourney.

9) How about that battle of the Wildcats in the Midwest - #8 Kentucky vs. #9 Kansas State!

10) We could see an all-Sunflower State battle in the Round of 32 - Wichita State vs. Kansas State! Now who do we root for if that happens?

11) Here's hoping Danny Manning's Tulsa team upsets UCLA!

12) How I'd love it if Iowa State got bounced by NC Central! It'd be like the time they got Hamptoned in 2001. Hilarious.

13) No team was less deserving of an NCAA bid than Tennessee. Got a bid that Southern Methodist should have had.

Andrew Washington 6 months, 1 week ago

Not to mention the KSU vs UK matchup is a rematch of the 1951 title game.

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

RE: Number 10. No-brainer. Wichita State.

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 1 week ago

Thanks for doing this obvious job for me.

Titus Canby 6 months, 1 week ago

10) Tougher question - who do you root for in Kentucky vs K-State?

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

I root for KSU everytime in that matchup.

Now, the real dilemma for me is uky vs missou. Logically I have determined that it's best to root for ky in a blowout and hope that the win is later vacated due to violations. However, if I caught part of the game while flipping channels I can't rule out that I may be secretly (maybe even subconsciously) rooting for missou.

Kerby Rice 6 months, 1 week ago

Barring a disaster against E Ky, maybe we will get to see that zone defense many of us have been longing for against the size of New Mexico

Aaron Levine 6 months, 1 week ago

I hope so! We will not handle 6-9 and 7-0 well without Embiid. Make them play D as a TEAM!

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 1 week ago

Stanford nearly beat New Mexico, a team that has a horrible past in the NCAA's. I just assumed that Stanford would be the next opponent.

Brandon Mahon 6 months, 1 week ago

I really hope Self is playing Embiids injury close to the chest. All the news is that Embiid is doing so much better. Say he isn't going to play then on sunday roll out the red carpet for his return.

Brianna Zaleski 6 months, 1 week ago

I think/ am optimistic that we will see hm Sun. Especially if he I needed.

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 1 week ago

Where's the news source? I wanna believe.

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

Kansas is getting no respect from ESPN. Some are picking NM over Kansas in the first weekend of the tournament. I don't know if those prognostications are right or wrong, but Kansas has certainly given justification to concerns. We're going to need a lot of luck...

Bryce Landon 6 months, 1 week ago

Considering we have lost 3 of our last 5 and looked god-awful on defense in those losses, I'm guessing we'll have to re-earn that respect.

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 1 week ago

Hey Joe, (sounds like an old song), how is UNM favored over Stanford?

Rodney Crain 6 months, 1 week ago

Joe lets look at this another way, when everyone is touting how great we are in previous years and that we are a lock for the final four, we fall flat on our faces... So to me we have them right where we want them, telling a young team that no one has any respect for them, nor how they are playing right now, nor their schedule.

Will it help who knows but we will need luck, outside motivation, and a chip on our shoulder so we come out with some energy each game. At least till we get Joel back.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 1 week ago

Bilas stated that he thought we were still the fifth best team in the country, of course Dickie V was saying we were overrated and picks New Mexico over Kansas:

Rodney Crain 6 months, 1 week ago

Dickie V is overrated lol. He needs to stay in FL and retire. He has never had any respect for KU. The only reason he picks us to win our conference is he was wrong about us like 3 times in 5 years and said you have to just pick KU every year till they prove they cannot win it. Retire Dickie V

Walter Bridges 6 months, 1 week ago

I looked at him more as a clown/entertainer than a sports analysis. His act was old 10 years ago.

Andrew Washington 6 months, 1 week ago

I don't think that we got that bad of a draw actually.. we've got experience vs NM and Florida not to mention i'd like another shot at the Gators. Syracuse is on the down and Virginia is beatable should they make it that far.

Mike Riches 6 months, 1 week ago

I agree...there are a bunch of teams on the right that I wouldn't want to play...I just hope we get to face one of them!

Edward Katz 6 months, 1 week ago

We should be in pretty good shape to the Sweet 16 because Dick Vitale has guaranteed New Mexico will beat us!

John White 6 months, 1 week ago

And in a total shocker, Dick Vitale declared absolutely nothing can stop Duke from getting to the Sweet 16.

Shane Johnston 6 months, 1 week ago

Well he's right about Duke. I'd feel confident too with UMass lurking...

William Weissbeck 6 months, 1 week ago

Yes Duke got its usual clear path. But they manage to blow it somehow. They are much like ISU, but even less height. If they aren't hitting 3's against a low T/O team, they are dead. I only wish Self would take some lessons from Coach K about how to take an inferior team and make them play in your face defense.

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 1 week ago

KU's team D percentage over the years leads me to believe that Self should be the one giving the lessons, not receiving them.

William Weissbeck 6 months, 1 week ago

Normally, I'd agree with stats, but it's Big 12 competition. A lot of the other conferences have Marcus Smarts on every team. This is one year when the Big 12 probably has the superior guards, but then look at our defense.

Erich Hartmann 6 months, 1 week ago

William, come on man, where does this thought come from? We might suck at defense this year, but you honestly think Self needs "lessons" in coaching defense from anybody? Brand new team this year, and only Wiggins, Selden, and Embiid get it defensively. Scary that frosh are better than returning Ellis and Naa. But it isnt because the coach isnt trying. He's probably sounding like a broken record now in practice. Only thing left is to bench guys.

Mike Riches 6 months, 1 week ago

The first weekend makes me nervous. We should handle EKU pretty well...UNM is a really good team, they just beat San Diego State for the MWC championship. They have size...is there any way we can get Embiid back for that game?? We beat them by 17, but it was a one point game at the half. Man, if we can make it to the Elite 8, I would love to see a rematch against UF! (I think our guys would love to play that rematch as well!)

Brandon Mahon 6 months, 1 week ago

Good news guys the last time KU was a #2 seed.... We played in the national championship game... I think if Wiggins keeps attacking, Embiid comes back sunday or the next week, Tharpe plays like he needs to and we have seen, and with some scoring and D from Ellis and help from Selden we could be there again. I know a lot of what ifs, but I think Bill should have these guys ready. They already lost one tourney this year.. no way they want to lose another one

Gerry Butler 6 months, 1 week ago

I don't know guys, but just my opinion, call it a hunch, a gut feeling. I think there is a good possibility that MAYBE just MAYBE jo jo plays Sunday if we win and would be ready against New Mexico all I'm sayin is don't be shocked if that happens, but THEN AGAIN don't be shocked if he doesn't SOOOO bottom line is I got nothing lol. I think if we play likw we can with or without jo jo its possible to get thru the 1st weekend anyways. and OF COURSE the espn boys are all talkin smack on KU so lets just feed it back to them the only one that is giving us any props at all is jay bilas . and on another note WSU against Kentucky? OMG that region is LOADED we will see pretty tough draw GO HAWKS

Mark Lindrud 6 months, 1 week ago

I'm with you in Joel playing Sunday. I don't mind our region. The Midwest is BRUTAL. Shockers can't make it out of there because come round 32 there's land mines. This will be fun

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

Wichita State potentially faces Kentucky, Louisville, AND Duke/Michigan. It's a gauntlet that can not be successfully run.

Andrew Washington 6 months, 1 week ago

Yeah like I was saying they have 4 other teams in their region that were considered to be number 1 seeds at some point this past season and some just earlier today (Michigan, Louisville, Duke) not to mention UL is the defending champion and is now playing like it.UK was the champion before that and has a ton of talent-they could make it theoretically. Just earlier today ESPN was making a case for Michigan or Duke for a number one seed. You have 4 potential number one seeds either based on wins or talent which happens to include the past two NCAA champions. Even if Wichita makes it through the first FOUR games they could STILL face Arizona or Wisconsin and then Florida in the title game. I'd say that series of games would be impossible for anyone including KU in 08 and UL last year..

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 1 week ago

And the tourney head jockey says that the committee didn't punish WSU's strength of schedule. Immediately, I'm smelling methane.

William Weissbeck 6 months, 1 week ago

Don't call it strength of schedule - call it CBS/NCAA doesn't want small market teams hanging around. Years ago they should have capped the number eligible from each conference. THE MVC always got hosed if the regular season conference champion lost in the tournament. Face it, in the Midwest we know that schools don't get to form major conferences. They are where they are much based on history and geography. It was only a few desperate years back that KU and KSU were going to be on the outside looking in when everyone was bolting to the super conferences. SMU got hosed this year.

Bryce Landon 6 months, 1 week ago

In the Not Invited Tournament where they belong. I guess that move to the SEC and Frank Haith's coaching is starting to take its toll on the program.

Brian Conrad 6 months, 1 week ago

first matchup against New Mexico , earlier this year, Ellis had huge game.. 21 Embiid also with 18 . Embiid did not play much because of 2 quick fouls. Wiggins is 10 times better than he was back first of season when we played NM. New Mexico played Great beating SDSU.. but think we will be fine. Black only played 2 minutes.. no foul trouble.. was more Self wanting to develop young players.. think Tarik can have big game, NM will be concerned with Ellis , after Ellis put 21 on them last game. best part is Digger and Vitale do not pick us in Final Four .. but Jay Bilas did... Bilas hundred times better than ACC Vitale and Digger could be the worst ever...

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 1 week ago

KU got about as good of a draw as they could have. UNM has a habit of not winning their first game along with KU already beating them this year, Stanford has dropped 4 out of 7, Syracuse has a history of not making it past the weekend roughly 50% of the time, and KU has owned OSU over the past few years. Nothing's guaranteed obviously, but KU got about as friendly a draw as possible this year to get to the Elite 8.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 1 week ago

I believe Syracuse was the first 2 seed to lose in their opening round. Fairly certain that it was Richmond that pulled the upset.

William Weissbeck 6 months, 1 week ago

KU got the draw that WSU deserved. I will say, I don't like playing Stanford either. The PAC 12 is just weird. They have talent but play a style that seems like the old (very old) Big 8. AZ is the exception - reminds me a lot of KU in '97. They all just seem to know where their team mates are at all times. Very smooth team. Keep your eye on Louisville and UF's defenses. Patino and Donovan teach something that Self needs to pick up. They are doing lock down defense without NBA talent. And without a terminator at the rim.

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

I know, right? KU's road as a two seed is much less "dangerous" than Wichita State's is as a 1. Now I'm no fan of the Shockers, but now are currently suffering from the mishaps of the Selection Committee like so many others have done so before them. I myself doubted how deserving WSU was about mid-season, but going undefeated in the regular season (including your conference tournament) warrants special consideration.

Erich Hartmann 6 months, 1 week ago

Have you kept your eye on KU the previous 9 years: Self has a habit of his teams playing lockdown defense when they have to, except this year, with not only 5 new starters, but also the 2 key returners suffer the worst defense...The frosh are better defenders (Embiid, Wiggins, Selden, Mason, Frankamp) than 2 returning starters. When has that ever happened. Treat this team's defensive woes like the aberration that it is.

Mike Riches 6 months, 1 week ago

I really hope Gregg Marshall gets his wish and we get to play them this year! :)

David Williams 6 months, 1 week ago

I hope Tarik Black can channel his inner Alonzo Jamison and be a superhero over the next three weeks...we need him to really play to his potential.

Scott Smetana 6 months, 1 week ago

Love our path until a potential against Florida. We'd be such a heavy underdog that I'm hoping we'd come out loose and hot. Great season anyway if we can make it that far. I initially wanted the Midwest, but heck no, that bracket is BRUTAL.

I'm REALLY hoping OSU can knock Arizona off their weak Pac12 pedestal.

ISU / N. Carolina is a great offensive matchup. I think ISU has a great path to the Final 4.

I've never seen a 1-2nd round venue that will be so rockin' than St. Louis next weekend!

Andrew Washington 6 months, 1 week ago

yummm me feel like some Gator bring em on!

Scott MacWilliams 6 months, 1 week ago

Everybody got your seat belts on??? I think we're in for a wild ride, kind of like the Zipper attached to a monster rollercoaster!! YEEEOOUUWW!!!

Andrew W, let's not get ahead of ourselves, Gators are nasty. That's a good way to get your kneecaps removed. Let's just win one game at a time, move on and keep Rock Jayhawkin' the chalk!

Jojo, keep healing at warp speed, everybody else step up a notch, hyperfocus to your maximum abilities and have FUN!!! You can do this thing because we believe in you!! March Madness is finally here!!

Rock Chalk!!!

Bryan Mohr 6 months, 1 week ago

I'd take UNM or Stanford over playing Pitt. Can see Florida getting upset by #9 Pitt. Almost looks more favorable to be a #2 seed over a #1 in all the regions this year.

Sam Constance 6 months, 1 week ago

I honestly have no complaints about our draw. Playing against a 3-seed that we'd already beaten twice who is a tough matchup for us because of their personnel and had a bit of a chip on t

Sam Constance 6 months, 1 week ago

Stupid iPad...

...their shoulders with regards to beating KU is wholly different than Eastern Kentucky and Stanford/New Mexico.

So take the abomination that was the ISU game and forget about it. While we certainly got our less-than-stellar defense exposed against WVU and ISU sans Embiid, keep in mind that those are top 25 offensive teams. Something that none of the three teams we could face this weekend can claim to be. We also showed that we can defend and compete against an elite caliber team in Okie St, even without Joel.

I, like others have already suggested, would not be surprised to see Joel suit up for Sunday should we take care of business against EKU. Especially after his dad's recent comments. But it doesn't look like we absolutely need him to make it to the second weekend. If we face New Mexico, I'm not worried. Yes, they are big, but so are we, even without Embiid. And UNM doesn't have anyone as versatile as Niang. Plus, as Coach Self has pointed out, we do best against teams that play two bigs--we are geared for that style of play.

And if we get to the Sweet 16 and Embid returns as he is projected to, I like the fact that these last few weeks have really cooled the enthusiasm for the Jayhawks capability on a national scale. Dickie V and Seth Davis could barely contain their eagerness to pick UNM over KU in the round of 32, and only Bilas had us in the Final 4. Honestly, the game that scares me the most in our region (assuming no upsets) is Syracuse, because they play an active zone and zone has flummoxed us at times this year. But I'd gladly take a rematch with UF on a neutral court. As good as they've been, they've shown a surprising tendency--especially as such an experienced team--to leave the door cracked open for opponents at the end of games. UK totally could have taken the SEC tourney title today and blew it. I think we can get them in a revenge game. What are the odds we have another TO stretch as bad as we had in the first game?

I think we definitely have the opportunity to make some noise, especially now that we can fly under the radar a bit. A 2-seed was the perfect line for this team IMHO. High enough to still have an easier road, but not so high that they get satisfied with themselves.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

"What are the odds we have another TO stretch as bad as we had in the first game?"

Considering this team's track record for TOs this season (especially outside of AFH) I'd say that the odds would be pretty good for that happening again.

Sam Constance 6 months, 1 week ago

True, but that stretch was awful even by our standards. That's more what I was getting at. That was probably our worst stretch of basketball all season.

In a 13 minute span, we had the following sequence:

missed shot

missed shot

missed shot

missed shot

missed shot

missed shot

missed shot

missed shot

made shot

made shot

made shot

1/2 FTs

TO

Totalling that up, that's 26 possessions. I'm counting each opportunity to take a shot as a possession, so if we got an offensive rebound, that trip would have counted as two possessions.

Out of 26 possessions, we had 14 TOs (54%) compared to 11 shots (42%) and one chance at the line, where we made one of two.

I'm just skeptical that we would repeat a sequence that bad, especially when we would be playing in Memphis instead of Gainesville this time around. Heck, Memphis is a pretty good regional final draw for us. It's no further than Indianapolis.