Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Jayhawks not counting on another McMiracle vs. ISU

The fieldhouse watches as Kansas guard Ben McLemore puts up the game-tying three over Iowa State guard Tyrus McGee with three seconds left in regulation on Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2013. McLemore's three sent the game into overtime where the Jayhawks defeated the Cyclones 97-89.

It’s been a year and 20 days since Kansas University wing Ben McLemore banked in a buzzer-beating three-point shot to force overtime against Iowa State in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It still pains me,” fourth-year ISU coach Fred Hoiberg said of the straight-on 22-footer that tied the game at 79 and forced an extra five-minute session. KU went on to win, 97-89.

“When it went off his hand, it looked like it’s three feet to the left. I usually can judge if the ball is going to go in. From my angle it looked so far left. It banked and went in. It was a hard one to handle,” added former ISU star Hoiberg, who had a 4-5 record versus KU as a player and takes a 1-7 mark as a head coach versus the Jayhawks into today’s 8 p.m. rematch in Allen.

“My message to the guys after that game was, ‘If we can play with that type of intensity and give ourselves a chance to win in that arena, we’ll have a pretty successful year.’ That’s exactly what our guys did (in finishing fourth in Big 12 and winning a game in 2013 NCAAs).”

KU, which went 3-0 against Iowa State last season and has defeated the Cyclones once this year — 77-70 on Jan. 13 in Ames — had all the momentum after McLemore’s improbable bank shot. KU scored the first 11 points of overtime and rode McLemore’s 33 points to victory.

“Last year as a team we felt we played the complete game,” said ISU sophomore forward Georges Niang, who missed 16 of 20 shots and went 0-for-9 from three in ISU’s loss to KU 16 days ago. “We guarded their stuff well. We made 14 threes. When he hit that banked three to win the game, it was sort of like, ‘How did that happen?’ Credit to them. They do a great job of winning in their home arena, so we’re going to have our hands full.”

KU coach Bill Self, who has directed KU to a 169-9 record in Allen in 11 seasons, was mighty happy McLemore gave KU an opportunity for overtime.

“Well, I knew it had a chance because it was plenty hard enough. There was no way it was going to be short because he banked it in,” Self said. “When we play Iowa State, it usually is a fun game for fans, kind of stressful for coaches probably.

“We were so lucky last year. Our guys are totally aware of how dangerous a team that can score as easily as Iowa State is. We need to guard them and do a good job on the glass (KU won the board battle on Jan. 13, 53-36). I’m sure Fred is telling his guys the same thing about us. We’ve scored quite a few points in our games as well. I hope it’s not a 100-95 game like last year,” added Self, whose Jayhawks rolled 108-96 in OT in Ames a year ago behind Elijah Johnson’s 39 points. “Certainly when they make shots, you’ve got to be able to put up points.”

KU’s returning players, of course, have fond memories of McLemore’s heroics. He’s now a rookie with the Sacramento Kings.

“Yes, that’s Ben McLemore, that’s my boy,” Tharpe said with a smile, asked if he thought the bank shot would drop through the hoop. Tharpe, by the way, burned ISU for a career-high 23 points on Jan. 13.

“Toward the end of that game, I didn’t know if we were going to come back and win,” noted red-shirt freshman center Landen Lucas. “When Ben hit that shot, I knew we were going to win in overtime. There was too much momentum. That was a big-time shot, definitely one to remember.”

Playing in the fieldhouse was an eye-opening experience for Iowa State’s Niang. It was his first Big 12 game.

“I don’t think any KU fan likes any opposing team that comes in and plays their Jayhawks,” Niang said. “There’s a lot of anger and it’s very loud in there.”

Freshman guard Monte Morris, who had seven points and four assists against KU in Hilton this season, remembers battling some KU fans on the Internet a year ago.

“I think I tweeted about it, saying when I get there hopefully it’ll be a different outcome,” Morris said. “I got a lot of tweets of, ‘Wait until you come here.’ KU fans got on me saying they can’t wait to chant some stuff,” he added, smiling. “This is a year ago. I don’t know if they are going to do that. They remember, so it should be fun.”

“It’s fun for a lot of people, it’s not fun for the coaches,” Hoiberg stated of playing in Allen. “It’s a cool place, a great atmosphere. Obviously has a lot of history. I think the two loudest arenas, if you ask anybody in the league, it’s Kansas and Iowa State.

“We put ourselves in a position to win there last year. It’s not something that’s easy to do. Obviously we didn’t finish it off. This time if we go down there and have the same confidence and again knock down shots, we will have a chance. It’s going to be rocking, we know that. It’s an important game for both teams.”

Noted ISU’s Morris: “It’s not a better feeling going somewhere and stunning their crowd. We have been talking about that all week, the feeling if we win at Kansas we can walk off the court and silence all their fans and the critics saying we can’t beat Kansas.”

No. 16-ranked ISU enters 3-3 in the league and 15-3 overall; No. 6 KU is 6-0 and 15-4. Senior forward Melvin Ejim (15 points vs. KU in Ames) leads the Big 12 in scoring at 17.9 points per game. Senior guard DeAndre Kane, who had 21 vs. the Jayhawks, is next in scoring for ISU at 16.3 ppg. Niang, who had 11 in Ames, averages 15.4 points.

“Great. We held him to 21 or 23 with a bad ankle?” Self joked when asked of KU’s defense on Kane in Ames. “Look at his stats and look at Niang and his stats and (one could) say we did a great job guarding him. I don’t think that was the case at all. He (Niang) missed some looks. There’s a lot of things we can do better defending them.”

Questionable: KU senior forward Tarik Black remains questionable for today’s game, Self said after Tuesday’s practice. Black did not practice 100 percent of the time Tuesday. “He’s made progress but not great,” Self said of the player who sprained his ankle in the Baylor game on Jan. 20.

Welcome back, Doc: Former KU director of basketball operations, Doc Sadler, is a first-year assistant on Hoiberg’s ISU staff.

Wiggins a winner: KU freshman guard Andrew Wiggins was named winner of the Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Week award Tuesday, the U.S. Basketball Writers Association announced. Wiggins was selected by CBSSports.com’s Jeff Borzello, in partnership with the USBWA.

This, that: KU leads the all-time series, 174-59, dating to 1908. KU has won four straight and 17 of the last 18 meetings. ISU’s last win was 72-64 on Jan. 28, 2012, in Ames. KU is 48-9 vs. ISU in Allen. KU has won eight straight over ISU in Allen. ISU’s last win was 63-61 in overtime on Feb. 19, 2005. Self is 20-3 all-time versus Iowa State, including 19-3 while at KU.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

I tried in vain to watch the SOTU speech last night but became bored with the all too predictable rhetoric, legislators that should be in jail, and comparing the ties worn by Obama, Biden and Boehner.

To lift my spirits, I re-watched the last ISU very strange game in Ames. We were able to steal a game nobody wanted to win. The Hawks made the most ridiculous turnovers and the senseless fouls. Ellis, much like the TCU game, missed a ton of shots (8 actually) at the rim. That game pointed out that ISU has no answer for Embiid or Wiggins. I’m really looking forward to see how we handle ISU when they double the post again. If we are hitting the 3s, FTs, limit turnovers to a dozen, and playing reasonable D….we will win by 25.

Marcus Smart would have fit right in with those guys and could collectively go by “the floppers.” I saw the recent poll that stated CBB enjoyed only a 3 percent popularity. To improve CBB they could start by discouraging flopping, cutting down the clock time (even the women only need 30 seconds), and limiting those mind-numbing monitor reviews.

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

I think that many have become bored with your continued political posts on a KU Sports discussion board. NO ONE CARES what you think about the criminals in the House of Representatives.

As far as your suggestions on improving the popularity of CBB...shortening clock-time makes the game look like the NBA - the most boring sport to watch in the history of the universe. Flopping and monitor reviews could have some merit, especially when the elbow rule is a ridiculous rule to begin with.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

The jest of the lead into my comments avoid any political affiliations. Instead they should reflect the universal healing powers KU Basketball possesses for most of the fan base, when the Hawks are playing well.

Humor, tangible or implied, can be an antidote for hyper sensitivity.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

As far as pace goes, I honestly like the women's game best. I think the men's game would benefit greatly from a 30 second shot clock. It increases possessions without dramatically increasing the tempo of the game. A 24 second clock in college would speed the game up too much and we would see a lot of ugly basketball games as a result. With a 30 second clock, you still have time to run offense without resorting to using isolation on 75% of the possessions like the NBA does.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Can't agree..you'll end up with only more bad shots being taken. Scoring has gone down in every season since '93 when the clock was dropped to 35s.

Year Scoring FG%

1950 57.6 ppg 31.6

1960 70.0 ppg 39.8

1970 77.6 ppg 44.2

1980 72.0 ppg 47.9

1990 75.3 ppg 46.2

2000 70.5 ppg 43.5

2010 69.3 ppg 43.6

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Basic custom is NO politics. Not a rule but there are much better sites for that. You could have simply pointed that out to Suzi but your comment is exactly why we leave politics elsewhere. YOU gave your opinion in your inflammatory statement which nobody gives a sh** about either.

What a hypocritical response Brett.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Anybody else wish there was a third party to support in America?

Mike Crosbie 6 months ago

Libertarian party !!! RCJH !!!

Kevin Lee 6 months ago

Is anybody else sick of the right wing wackos who always spew their garbage on these articles about KU basketball!!! Do these IDIOTS only cheer if KU players vote Republican or what if most the KU players who eligible to vote, vote Democrat, do these right-wing wackos decide not to cheer for them??? Time to call these folks on their mess, plain and simple.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

Why limit the wacko range. I'm all for calling out all the wacko wings, inlcuding the wacko flop calls.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

Kevin, comments like yours are what's truly at the core of the problems in this country. This country is so divided along party lines that people will ignore a good idea just because of which party it originated from. There are good and bad people in each party and until both sides are capable of working together, the problems in this country will only continue to escalate because neither side is willing to listen to the other side and then try to reach a comprise by taking the best ideas from each side.

Steve Benton 6 months ago

A "Liberal Paradise" would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist …… It's called prison.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

And another tool who thinks any of us care about his politics. Thanks Kev...

What a jack***.

Caleb Longbine 6 months ago

i got through the soto by playing the obama drinking game. drank everytime he lied blamed or wrongfully took credit for something. 375ml bottle of liqueur was not near enough. luckily i became a die hard jayhawk fan before i was old enough to know universities went hand in hand with politics. lol. i did the same thing the other night broke down film. the way isu got their stroke back against ksu we better defend the 3 pt line a lot better tonight than in ames. they missed so many good looks in that game. our interior defense is amazing but if their 3 pt shots on tonight we cannot give them any daylight.

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

You must have been really thirsty by the end of the night, then.

Brianna Zaleski 6 months ago

Brett, This is a free country and a free website. I did not find anything wrong with Suzi MENTIONING the Prez's speech last night. I found myself thinking some of the same things as Suzi while watching it also. Except instead of comparing choice of ties, I found myself amused w Boehner's inability to hide the disgust on his face as O eloquently blathered about. Did u watch it? You should have, so you can help call that criminal to task when he doesn't follow thru on 99% of what he promised.
But the prevailing thought that I had in my mind was how I couldn't wait for it to be 24 hrs later to see the Hawks in action again in what will surely be an intense game. The crowd is going to be juiced! Politics are a necessity in this country. We might not always like the game or the players, but it's impt to know what these ppl running our country are saying and doing. And it's just as impt to debate the right and wrong of it all. Just because this is a sports website, it doesn't mean we can't occasionally mention important political goings on. Be thankful we have an outlet like this to escape to, because if this was 20-30 yrs ago, the presidents speech would be what everyone was talking about this morning. Because of the lack of other outlets, ppl were much more engaged in the day to day of our "leaders".

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

Boehner IS pretty bad but I don't think that you should necessarily call him a criminal. He's a fairly elected legislator and deserves some professional respect. Although, somebody should arrest him for that spray-on tan.

If "this is a place we can escape to", why do you keep polluting it with political statements? If you want to talk politics, go to a political discussion board, write a letter to the editor or talk to yourself in a mirror.

This is a KU Sports discussion board. I'll repeat, this is a KU Sports discussion board.

Jeff Schartz 6 months ago

Geez, Brett, and to think that I was about to post my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I do have some suggestions for great winter vacation destinations, though. And if you would like to hear some tips for removing those stubborn, stripped- headed screws and bolts, I'm your man! Come to think of it, Miss McCabe, I even have some personal tips for you for skin care and make-up removal, seeing as how you are so bitchy that you must have some problem areas. Oh well, it's always fun to poke the nervous crybaby...so, let me know if you ever need agitating, Bretty-poo, and I will come running. Until then, this is America, and we will do as we please. And that includes allowing you to be a big whiner!

Glen Miller 6 months ago

I don't come on a KU sports website to read about the president either. I get enough of that on places like CNN and ABC..... you know, the world news type places. I also think our government is about as worthless as a football bat these days, but that's for another post on another website. This is a sports website and while I agree with Brett, I just skip the comments I don't want to read. You might try doing that Brett.

Bruce Beckum 6 months ago

I'd like to respectfully suggest a voluntary ban on politics on this site. I'm a huge Jayhawks fan and a liberal. I suspect that you wouldn't enjoy reading my political views any more than I enjoy reading yours.

RJ King 6 months ago

middle school closed in west texas today?

Brianna Zaleski 6 months ago

I wasn't calling Boehner a criminal. I was making that reference to Obama.
No one wants to have a political discussion in here, but I support anyones RIGHT to mention politics w/out getting their heads ripped off.

This is a free country, Brett. I'll repeat, this is a free country.

RJ King 6 months ago

Hello . . . read the sarcasm font. That one was so obvious. And funny.

Erich Hartmann 6 months ago

Well. Looks like we have gridlock, regarding the political posts. I'd have to call it a tie, no one wins...lol!

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

Best one of the day. My big regret is that the conversation drew attention away from a clever Bedore term: McMiracle. Love it!

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

The last 3 games vs ISU have been Miracle wins for Kansas.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Brianna for it to get this bad in Washington DC everyone has to play a role. Consider this, the Presidents approval rating is very low, in fact the only ones with a lower approval rating are the Republications. Truly amazing.

From Will Rogers - On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.

Jonathan Allison 6 months ago

I've watched a few SOTU addresses from a few different presidents and always been mind-numbingly bored. It's always the same rhetoric no matter the affiliation. Sure some of the key points are different, but it all sounds like "wah wah wah" to me. I'm more interested in what the president does than in what the president says he wants to do. I find myself couldn't the applause breaks.

I didn't watch last night because my cable service went out (not that I'd have necessarily watched it anyway). Hopefully they get it fixed tonight because I actually do really want to watch this game with ISU.

Troy Gayer 6 months ago

I was watching "The Karate Kid" with my kiddo last night, and when the movie wasn't over when bedtime rolled around I flipped over to the SOTU. She left the room BUT QUICK!!

Jeremy Paul 6 months ago

If Iowa State hits their shots tonight, it's going to be a tough game. This is always an interesting game for me because unlike all the rest of the teams in our conference, I don't hate Iowa State. I like the way they play, and I respect their team, and I really like their coach. It's good for our conference when they're good.

With the injuries to Black and Embiid, I hope to see Traylor take over, and also see Lucas continue to play important minutes.

Jason Keller 6 months ago

You like the way they play? Shoot 45 threes every game and play no defense, you like that? I have a league that you would love, buddy. It's called the NBA.

Jeremy Paul 6 months ago

I was just trying to steer the conversation back to basketball, buddy. Yeah, pal, I do like the way they play--a bunch of lowly-recruited, over-achieving guys who buy into a system and play hard. Their players always help opposing players off the floor, guy, and their games are always competitive, dude.

Ethan Berger 6 months ago

In our last 8 games, 7 of the teams will have been ranked or are currently ranked. The depth of our conference this year is unreal because it also comes with a title contender in our Jayhawks. We have to play 2 ranked teams again this week and we stand 2 games above the rest. Many people were scared that we would even finish in the top half after losing to some very good teams. It's a statement to what Bill Self has done. Ok State who was our big competition is a further down they way then they should. Incredible that such a young team was able to flip the switch and became a contender that fast. Also says how much these kids don't want to be the team that ends the streak. Pride can do some crazy things and this team has it. Heard so many times after loses that these kids don't care, they have no heart but we all learned that couldn't be further from the truth. Heck, I'll admit a 4-2 mark at this point would have been okay with me. Very few saw 6-0 coming. Thankfully tonight, we won't be in a arena who boos no matter the call.

Brianna Zaleski 6 months ago

What I find/ am finding about the conf race, is that our team's will has seemed to crush the other "pretenders" this year. Everyone thought that this was the year to dethrone KU and that the conf champ would likely be OSU, ISU, KSU or even Baylor (yeah right). But when KU came out of the gate swinging and those other teams suffered an early, unexpected loss, I think they started to press a little bit and suffered more losses. Look at Baylor, they are off the rails.
But the team that no one expected anything out of, Texas, is right in the hunt. If they can knock us off Sat, they will really be in the hunt. If that happens, look for them to start pressing a bit also. It goes to show that those teams that are the most successful, are the ones that only worry about themselves and what they can control. Bill Self always keeps his teams focused on themselves and what they need to do. You never hear Bill talking about anything other teams are doing unless it is in the vein of scouting them. Its a good life lesson as well.

Ethan Berger 6 months ago

Great points. I have found new respect for Rick Barnes. What he has done with that team is incredible. Also shows us that in recruitment, Bill Self gets guys who want to play for each other. While Barnes has a serious lack of big time talent, the desire to win for each other has carried them.

Erich Hartmann 6 months ago

I am actually wondering if Scot Drew will get fired? Nah, they probably still like the "job" he did in turning it around in Waco after the player murder thing several years back. How long can Scot Drew survive with "phone-it-in" coaching notes from dad Homer Drew? Not long. Scottie doesnt have what it takes. Somehow someone got Baylor to play tough in AFH, but that loss crushed their will. They got beat by TubbyTekkies in Waco!!!, and now got beat by WVa (Huggineers).

Rich Hetherington 6 months ago

He won't (and really shouldn't) get fired. This program was TERRIBLE before he got there, just down right awful! Drew is a great recruiter and has had something like 8 top 25 classes and several top 10 classes since arriving there. They have won a Big 12 tournament and more importantly, have made the NCAA tournament, including 2 elite 8 appearances in his tenure. It's obvious to outsiders that he has a knack for squandering talent, so Baylor really does owe it to themselves to find someone that can get them over the hump, but I don't think they're ready to give their "best coach in school history" the axe just yet.

Erich Hartmann 6 months ago

Rich, factually speaking, I 100% agree with you. Drew is just an easy target. They have played us tough twice: Once in that BigXII tournament game, and I thought they came to play in AFH last week. Who knows, maybe Scot Drew turns the corner one day soon?

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Any coach who can't do better w/as much talent should be fired. Ben Howland got 10 years at UCLA but was fired after a few mediocre years despite 3 Final Fours.

Drew hasn't been to a single Final 4. Time for a change.

Jonathan Allison 6 months ago

about Baylor and Scott Drew. I don't really get the venom toward Scott Drew. I understand that he's gotten a few violations for tests and phone calls which are now no longer against the rules. I also remember the time that his team left the floor during the KU pregame video in AFH, but if Bill Self has any lingering resent for him I doubt that it has much to do with either of those things. The evidence is good that Scott Drew isn't an elite head coach. Niether was Homer Drew, but Homer was good enough to coach a lot of years at Valpo and lucky enough to get some time in the spotlight. Especially after Bryce Drew's cinderella victory over Ole Miss in the NCAAs. Should Baylor fire Scott Drew? If Baylor wants to take the next step, then probably so, but only if they can do better. A bad hire and the only well they have (recruiting) dries up.

That said, I fully expect Baylor to throw a wrench in the Big 12 race before all is said and done. They have a really talented front court, and a decent backcourt. They can steal some wins and maybe even get hot and run away with the conference tourney. It's a trademark of Scott Drew's team to look like they're tanking and then do something to save his butt in February or March.

Jeremy Paul 6 months ago

Yeah, you're right--they are no longer against the rules. But they were at the time. Have the people in Colorado prisons on pot charges been released?

I think this article here pretty much sums up why every coach hates him: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=4979714

Phil Leister 6 months ago

Everything Hoiberg says irks me. Everything complimentary he says about KU always included a nod to his ISU team as well.

Robert Brock 6 months ago

KU caught a break in Ames. The Clones missed a lot of easy threes and shot poorly all night. Expect them to shoot better in AFH.

Hawks: better lace 'em up and play some D - especially on the perimeter.

Tony Bandle 6 months ago

OAKVILLE ODDITIES:

1] The State of the Union speech was so boring, politically self-congratulatory and so full of crap, just like all others, both Republican and Democratic, I watched an entire hockey game from start to finish!!! { I couldn't find a nail to hammer into the wall with my head].

2] Did anybody see the Kentucky game last night where Calipari went onto the court DURING LIVE GAME ACTION and actually pushed one of his players into position!!?? Isn't that just a bit of a violation of the rules?

3] If anyone is interested, I have a mean butterflied pork chop recipe I can share.

4] Back to gameday....something tells me ISU won't miss about 200 three pointers as they did in the first game...play tough perimeter "D" and pound the ball inside and all will be well.

5] I wonder if Black is a little Blue. [See what I did there :) ].

6] Ethan Berger..please check my post prior to the start of Big 12 play...I predicted 18-0 in conference!! [ Of course, I was on medication at the time...but it still counts!! }

7] My suggestions for spicing up the NBA...add another ball, use razor wire instead of netting, turn out the lights and make it "Cosmic Ball" like the bowling alleys, actually play by Dr.Naismith's intended rules....NNAAAHHHH, they'd never do that one.

8] My suggestion for improving America..remove every president, senator, rep, judge, governer, mayor, county supervisor, councilman, etc. at federal, state and local levels put in all new guys and gals and start over. Could they do any worse??

Brianna Zaleski 6 months ago

8) Best idea I've heard in a LONG time

Ethan Berger 6 months ago

Those meds are working, don't ever stop taking them!

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

2) I watched the KY game and loved what Cal did. I've always loved the guy since his Hawk days.

3) NO ONE CARES This is a sports page.

8) Term Limits

Tony Bandle 6 months ago

Regarding your #2..he is a character isn't he.

Regarding your #3...aw, c'mon. Suz, that's the beauty of this site.....it's more than a sports page. To some, it is the window on the world.

Regarding your #8...totally agree. The problem will be putting term limits on the guy who sets term limits. :)

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

One other thing I would add to 8 would be someway to limit to power lobby groups have. Quite frankly, lobby groups are the most powerful groups in the US and limiting their power will limit the influence they have on congressmen and combine that with term limits for congressmen, their influence becomes much less than it is now. Likely never going to happen in my lifetime, but one can dream.

tim deegan 6 months ago

Yep, I'd like to kick out the all the politicians too, but as you point out, you'd still have all the lobby groups which is where much of the real power is. In fact, with a bunch of newbies, they'd likely get even more powerful.

Hey, I just got sucked into talking politics here too! If Brett hadn't gone off on Suzi's quite benign post I doubt we'd be still be talkin about it. :)

Really stoked for tonights game and wondering if the refs are going to be looking for the floppers. Like Self, I don't mind selling now and then but wow, there is some major bad acting going on lately by some of our opponents.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

it must have been the reference to the ties that set some sensitive types off into a tizzy.

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

8) They are called elections. If, of course, you are allowed to vote.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

Yes, and many proclaim the right to vote early and often, alive or dead, American Citizen or undocumented.

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

Unproven, even once, no matter how many times you repeat it.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

good reason to prevent ID for voting

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

Agreed. No need to pass laws based on unfounded paranoia. You just end up feeding the monster.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

So much for your "unproven, even once, no matter how many times you repeat it" theory.

www.truethevote.org/news/how-widespread-is-voter-fraud-2012-facts-figures

Walter Bridges 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Of course it's been proven.

"KTVU Channel 2 investigation has found hundreds of Bay Area people who are legally dead may have voted in at least in one election after they passed away, raising questions about voter fraud.[1] The investigation found that in the last eight elections during the last 10 years 232 people with death certificates had voted after they had died. More than half of these people – 153 to be exact – showed up as having voted after they died in one county: Alameda"

That is one of hundreds of documented cases - WAKE UP!

Greg Lux 6 months ago

iT'S a sad world when we see a commercial for the SOTU address and all my wife and I can think is Damn we are going to miss some of our Tuesday night shows. She said to me " Why watch it? It's all lies anyway " I agree its a waste of time. My only statement is " Bring all of our troops home NOW " NOW on the KU game .. That's definitely NOT a waste of time. It's the best show on TV every time its on . KU has improved so much since the ISU game that I would say it maybe close ( within 10 ) at half but KU will run away with its bench strength in the second half winning by 15 or more. Embiid is just to much inside and when ( not if ) they double team we should get open shots. I predict Ellis will have a big game alone with Tharpe, Wiggins, Selden, Greene, Traylor, I could go on but you get the idea. We are the deepest team in the country depth wise and we will be far to much for ISU tonight.

Rock Chalk

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

What a conference! We had a tough schedule to start, came through it perfectly, and still have tough home and away games. Tonight one of the biggest remaining home games and a clear way to distant ourselves from the rest of the pack. These 3 next games are going to be as tough as any part of the schedule. If we can get to 9-0 all we have is the inside track, if we lose 1 game we could only have a 1 game lead with two possible teams right on our heels. Whoever wins the B12 will have survived as much as won a championship. Great games every week.

Tony Bandle 6 months ago

At 9-0, the race will be over with 5 games against the weak sisters of the conference ['TCU, TT, WV] and one more against our personal whipping boy [KSU].

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

So halfway through the conference season, with at best a 2 game lead it is over? I do not share your overconfidence.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

It's not a very far stretch to say that KU could very well have a 3 game lead by the time Saturday's games are done. OU plays ISU at Hilton on Saturday and an OU loss gives them their 3rd conference loss and a KU win in Austin gives UT 3 losses Big 12 play as well. If KU gets to 8-0 in Big 12 play with a game lead, no the Big 12 race won't be officially over, but there's also not a logical argument to support KU blowing a 3 game lead either with the remaining schedule they have barring injuries.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Its not a very far stretch to say they will have a 1 one game lead either. What do we know, that if they win their next 3 games they will have no worse than a 2 game lead. There are many logical arguments to support KU blowing a 2 and a 3 game lead too. Things never remain the same in a sports season, it is not wise to think everyone will remain as is. It is what makes it interesting. Injuries sure but many more, bad calls, surprises (anyone have Texas and OK in 2nd place at this point), poor play because we are not prepared due to overconfidence, lots of things can happen in the next 3 games as well as the next 12. We are in a great position 100% agree, but we are far from this being over. Even if we win the next two or three. WV, OK, TX, OKS, KSU really any team in conference will not just give up if we get a big lead. I just do not share that confidence. Count me in the one game at a time camp till we have a share of the conference championship.

RJ King 6 months ago

"poor play because we are not prepared due to overconfidence"

Like Stupid Michael, I'm scared. Count me in your one game at a time camp as well - at least through this next 3 game stretch.

I do think that our biggest opponent is ourselves - turnovers and sloppy play. Take care of the ball, and we likely take care of the conference.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

See VCU, N Iowa, any other early exits in NCAA when we clearly were the better team... It's just to early to think with a few more wins this is over, we are a young team who knows how we are going to handle ourselves the next time we face a bad night, or a hot team.

Erich Hartmann 6 months ago

Putcha SHOES on! (Maybe this year, Wiggins drops "39 pts" on the Clones, somebody's gotta do it). RCJH.

Erich Hartmann 6 months ago

HAHA, Monte Morris tells us he had to "battle" some KU fans on twitter. I guarantee you it was nothing compared to what Elijah Johnson had to endure from stupid Iowa State students on his facebook page. And then some over-the-hill fan wanted to battle Bill Self on the sideline in Hilton after the game. Sorry, Melvin Weathermax, your team choked on our chicken, and you and your fans were an absolute embarrassment to college basketball. All those hundreds of angry fans even made Hoiberg's 5yr old son cry in the stands. One of the ugliest displays of hospitality I have ever seen. Oh, and Elijah dunking was specifically to silence the hecklers that were on him from the opening tip...they touched a nerve by taunting him, so he played like never before, or since. So he shut them up, as it should be. I will 100% support that particular dunk, given the unique circumstances. RCEJH!

Robert Brock 6 months ago

Thomas Jefferson and the next 24 presidents satisfied the Constitutional requirement that the President inform Congess as to the State of the Union "from time to time" via a polite letter. I recommend that we get back to that by the POTUS exchanging a few tweets. Congress is plenty informed as it is. Every Congressman and Senator believes he/she is God's gift to Civilization and all must hear their comments. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

This is why there needs to be a constitutional amendment setting term limits for senators and representatives because right now, there are congressmen who have served for 30 or 40 years and work in the best interest of lobby groups instead of the people who they are supposed to represent. This is not an issue confined to democrats or republicans as there are congressmen on both sides who epitomize career politician instead of representative of the people. Term limits will rotate in fresh blood who are more in touch with what's going on in their districts and will help diminish some of the influence lobby groups have. There's a lot more that needs to be done, but this seems like it would be a good place to start.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Who has to approve the term limit legislation? It would be like voting yourself out of a sweet job. You would have to have a conscious, which frankly I do not think they have, they give themselves pay increases even when they do not do their jobs. Campaign spending control might be a better approach, but again... its the wolves voting to limit their own food intake. Wolves just do not do that. This is the worst it has been in our lifetime, but not the worst in our history sadly. In the past new parties have risen to represent the common man. But in our time this might be just to impossible a dream to have. I sure would like a 3rd choice at this point though.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

I agree that it'll likely never happen, but congress does not necessarily have to be where a proposed amendment comes from. It can be done at the state level by 2/3 of the state legislatures forcing congress to call a national convention and then going out to the states for 3/4 of the states approving it. If a bunch of state level representatives want to oust incumbents and advance their own careers, it could happen. I doubt any of us will see congressional term limits in our lifetime, but I'm betting people 125 years ago didn't think direct election of senators would happen in their lifetimes either.

My personal opinion is that the power lobby groups need to be greatly diminished because their money is where the power truly is. Again, not likely to happen because that's where a lot of current congressmen make their money from, but stranger things have happened.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

There is a better chance of legalizing pot in all 50 states Sadly states have lobby's too, and their interests can be tied to federal money, pork deals, so we are back to biting the hand that feeds you. How many states are in some huge budget crisis? Fixing congress is way down on their lists. We need something radical to force a change like this, I am afraid fixing it from within is beyond our grasp. I have no solution... Wish anyone did though.

RJ King 6 months ago

The justification for journalism and media is predicated on there being enough significant news and interesting stories to necessitate its existence.

And to exaggerate and hype up any and all events - and create glamorized shows for the masses - is the very reason why I am able to watch my beloved hawks on TV tonight from 2000 miles away. :-)

Waylon Cook 6 months ago

Beat their smug asses like a drum and move on. ISU came back to earth when Big 12 started and time to keep kicking their asses!

Bruce Beckum 6 months ago

I don't know when I've ever seen an entire team improve as much as this year's Jayhawks. Sure, HCBS had incredible talent to work with, but each player has improved tremendously on offense and defense. However, I'm betting that Self won't win Big12 coach of the year (that will probably go to Lon Kruger) and unless he wins it all, won't even get mentioned for national coach of the year. Guess that's one of the "downfalls" of being one of the best coaches in the nation? As I typed that last sentence, I remembered that coach k won it several years ago with an average team? Sheesh.

I agree with the poster above who suggested cracking down on flopping. ISU and OSU are making a mockery of the game by falling down every time Embiid is near. One of our guys (Wiggins?) flopped recently and I didn't like that any more than I do when opposing players do it.

Erich Hartmann 6 months ago

Embiid is the one who did a nifty backwards flop (or was he bumped hard enough...??). Man, that kid is a quick learner!

Ethan Berger 6 months ago

Or Rick Barnes. Both Kruger and Barnes so far should be the lead guys. Bill is amazing, but its easier when you have two of the top three projected players in next year's draft.

Jonathan Allison 6 months ago

if he's key games have been 9 pt and 11 pt outings, then I doubt that he'll win the honor this month. But I don't know any of his other stats, and also don't know any stats for the other freshman in the western conference. Seemed like McLemore's stock was trending down lately and the Utah Jazz rookie point guard who will not be named in this post was trending up. But I haven't been following along, so maybe I'm a month behind.

Beau Woolsey 6 months ago

Bill Self for president The mayor is a good coach but he is not a president. ;)

Jack Wilson 6 months ago

Brett: You do realize that you drove this entire page into the lake. Suzi made a pretty innocent comment and you overreacted. Then your overreaction creates the discussion that you (in all caps) supposedly don't want to occur here. The easiest way to avoid a political discussion, if you want to avoid it, is to not indulge it.

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

As always, Jack. You think you know best.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

He didn't know about lobs, IMO. Hey HEM....go back and look over Wiggins lob dunk vs. TCU. It was one of the exact play we debated. If I correctly recall, you said no way Wiggins could cover that ground from the far corner...well....he did it vs TCU. Really a beautiful play. You have to review it.

Jack Wilson 6 months ago

Suzi: As I'm sure you're aware, you are comparing apples to oranges.

The one Saturday was a set play, on a back screen from Ellis on the baseline. Selden threw the pass from outside of the three point arc. The one vs. Florida was on the fly.

Wiggins came from the same point. That is agreed.

But the other difference (beyond it being a set play vs. TCU) was that you were wanting Mason to hit a guy coming in from just inside the three point stripe, while throwing it on the fly, just 13 feet from the basket. Further, Mason was moving toward the basket at the time, closing the distance. Selden was just standing outside and threw a set lob.

The time and distance for the lob didn't match up vs. Florida. Sure, it could of worked, if Mason threw a lob unusually high to let Wiggins have time to get there. But on the fly like that, it was completely impractical, if not impossible, in a game situation. If Wiggins had been 6-7 feet closer, given where Mason was, and what he was doing, I would have agreed with you.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

Look at the screens that were set. It was the same set play that Mason misplayed. Over the past few games, I'm not nearly the Mason critic as before. He's learning and played very well vs. BU.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Well Brett, in this case he is right. Your over the top comment led us down this path and you should own up to your hypocrisy.

Take it somewhere else.

tim deegan 6 months ago

Interesting little piece comparing our hawks this year to 2011-12 UK freshman team. Let's hope history repeats itself... except for the part about sucking so bad the next year you don't make the big dance at all (as a KU fan, Kentucky going to the NIT was just all covered in awesomesauce)

Andrew Dunlap 6 months ago

Sheesh! is this a Jayhawk Board or some Conservative rant! Enough already!! This team can be a team of destiny. They are coming together at the right time. I think relying on Wiggins to produce a little more makes us hard to defend. If Landon Lucas can cover for Tarik Black over the nest few games and Perry Ellis can also score more. we can make another 5-6 game run

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Really? You Brett and Brock should hook up on Facebook.

Ben Schwartz 6 months ago

Am I alone in thinking "McLemiracle" sounds better?

Good article, Gary. Let's bring it tonight and not let them get hot from behind the arc.

Chris Easter 6 months ago

We need to defend the 3 better. It seems the other team always has someone go off for 5 or 6 3's on us. With Iowa state they have several guys who can do that to us. They aren't going to miss as many as they did the last meeting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope to see Conner and Greene and even AWII come in and knocked down a 3. That always makes me smile.