Originally published December 7, 2014 at 12:45p.m., updated December 7, 2014 at 01:15p.m.

KU basketball’s Traylor, football’s Coleman arrested early Sunday morning

Kansas University basketball forward Jamari Traylor and KU football wide receiver Rodriguez Coleman were arrested Sunday morning, KU officials confirmed.

According to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office booking report, Coleman was arrested on a charge of battery at 1:52 a.m. at 1200 Oread Avenue, which is the location of the Oread Hotel and The Cave nightclub.

Traylor was arrested at the same location at 2:17 a.m. on a charge of interfering with duties of an officer. Both Coleman and Traylor had posted $100 bond by 4:18 a.m.

“We know about it. We are aware of it. We are gathering facts and will deal with it internally,” KU associate AD Jim Marchiony said Sunday morning.

"We were made aware of the situation concerning Jamari late last night. We have been gathering information all morning and will continue to do that," KU men's basketball coach Bill Self said. "This will certainly be addressed and handled as we receive complete information."

New KU football coach David Beaty released a statement on Coleman's arrest a little after 7 p.m. Sunday evening.

"The situation concerning (Coleman) was brought to our attention in the early morning hours. We are in the fact gathering process at this time and will handle this matter internally."

The report also lists the arrest of former KU football cornerback Kevin Short for failure to appear in municipal court, at 2:44 a.m., also at 1200 Oread Avenue. Short posted $210 bond at 4:20 a.m.

Check back to KUsports.com and LJWorld.com for more details.

Comments

Ashwin Rao 6 years, 12 months ago

Distractions not helping you, my friend! Jamari, you have accomplished much more than what was expected of you, and you had so much potential. Not sure where this will get you! We need your skills, so if given another chance, stay away from these distractions!

Ashwin Rao 6 years, 12 months ago

I heard about WR Rod Coleman getting arrested for battery at the same time.. not too brilliant!

Don Burgundy 6 years, 12 months ago

No offense, but with the he's been playing, I pray this leads to less PT

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 12 months ago

I'd pull his scholarship and send him somewhere else. Team is too young to have a distraction like this.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 12 months ago

He deserves another chance if Self and the AD think he's sufficiently learned from this. Battery is not a minor thing but he didn't knife anyone or shoot anyone. I don't know about the rest of you but I've made a few mistakes in my life and I'm glad those who had control over me allowed me an opportunity to straighten myself out.

John Randall 6 years, 12 months ago

Since the article is all we have to go on:

--- Traylor arrested for interfering (stepped in front of cop?)

Of the three alleged violations, Mari's is by far the least offensive – could have simply been police expediency to gain control of situation quickly, with charges soon dropped, or could have been serious interference with prosecution to follow. Way too soon to make any judgements.

Certainly reinforces the adage "late night forays to such places never bring anything good."

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

Well John maybe we should get a little more information and let the legal process play out, unless you think we should suspend our legal rights as well.

Luca Rossi 6 years, 12 months ago

Interfering with an officer sounds pretty minor. Perhaps he didn't allow the officer to finish the "MEOW" game and got cuffed because of it.

Dave Benjamin 6 years, 12 months ago

Not a good look for either. Traylor has had a disappointing year to put it politely. Hopefully Self manages this appropriately and Traylor can salvage his career with the right steps.

I was initially under the impression that Coleman was hurt for most of the season as the reason we hadn't seen much of him on the field. However, I've been hearing it has mainly just attitude and performance in practice. His drops and embarrassing kick/interception against K-State were both bad enough. His timing on this might be very bad with a new coach coming in who will likely be cleaning house. It wouldn't shock me if he was off the roster come Spring practice.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 12 months ago

David Beaty needs to give him a swift kick in the @$$ and send a message not only to Coleman but to everyone else that this kind of crap is intolerable.

John Randall 6 years, 12 months ago

You read things nobody is writing –– let me repeat: Way to soon to make any judgements.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 12 months ago

I have always liked Traylor but on the surface "interfering with the duties of an officer" implies disrespect for an officer of the law and the rule of law in general.

Certainly there are always mitigating circumstances and I hope for the best for Traylor.

Cody Riedy 6 years, 12 months ago

"The rule of the law" is an ideal, that unfortunately, too often has very little relationship with how the real world works.

Allison Steen 6 years, 12 months ago

"Disrespect for an officer of the law" you can add me to that list with Traylor ;) I can't say I really blame him. Officers opinion of what is disrespectful and what isn't is pretty subjective.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

Have you ever been in a situation like this? If so arrested or threatened with arrest? You know an officer will ask you to stop what you are doing, a few times, before just arresting you, unless you have gun.

John Randall 6 years, 12 months ago

Rodney, you nor I neither one KNOW how near to the textbook handling of the situation the particular officers in that crowded barroom fracas managed.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

Well John Police are not going to just arrest you for wishing them a Happy Holiday. So I am going to go out on a limb and say he deserved to be arrested.

Severeno Woods 6 years, 12 months ago

Don't over react people. Let the judicial system work and let HCBS take care of the discipline before you talk about less playing time or kicking off the team. Interfering with police duty. Big whoop.

Allison Steen 6 years, 12 months ago

Ahh here come the dramatics! This is a very small offense and not that big of a deal. He'll either pay a small fine or it'll get dropped. We need Traylor. He hasn't had the best start to the season but he's capable. Let's support our players, instead of throwing them to the wolves.

Andrea Wise 6 years, 12 months ago

That's no lie. I bet most of the people who are posting about how he hasn't shown his potential can't even make a free throw. These are young KIDS. They are going to make mistakes. They can't all be perfect. Not saying what either are accused of is the right thing and that they shouldn't be reprimanded but lay off them.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm not quite sure what not being able to make a free throw has to do with assessing someone else's performance. Perhaps you can help me with this.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

I agree we should let this run its legal course, but not sure we need the Traylor who has played so far. He seems lost, dis-interested this year. Not sure if he misses T. Black or he has lost his way. Something else appears to be affecting him. Are things ok with his family, did he recently lose someone? Something has triggered a step back for him this year.

John Randall 6 years, 12 months ago

That "step back" this year may very well have something to do with missing Tarick's steadying influence. Mari seems to be floundering in his play as well as his choice of companions.

Geof Clark 6 years, 12 months ago

nothing good happens after midnight, i'm just saying

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

You are correct sir!

I say this so often my 19 old niece has that quote on a sign above the door in her dorm. So true, SO true. Nothing good at all happens after midnight.

Luca Rossi 6 years, 12 months ago

Nah, I disagree. I've had many good things happen after midnight, especially in college. Actually, come to think of it.. now I'm married to one of those good things! :)

Jack Jones 6 years, 12 months ago

Now, there's some words of wisdom on this topic.

Joseph Leon 6 years, 12 months ago

I recall that last year, Traylor was quite the physical specimen. He looks like he's done zero weight training to me. Am I imagining things?

Bryce Landon 6 years, 12 months ago

Jamari Traylor should sit out at least until conference play.

John Randall 6 years, 12 months ago

Is that what you call 'paying the price', Bryce? Must be comforting to know the exact solution to all behavior problems.

Cody Riedy 6 years, 12 months ago

"Interfering with the duties of an officer" could amount to next to nothing; just depends on the patience or lack there of the officer (unless of course, Traylor did something particularly bad). Still, let's not all start freaking out and drooling all over this story with obnoxious moralizing about these young people and how they are dumb and irresponsible, etc etc ad naseum. For all we know, which basically nothing, Coleman got in a fight and Traylor tried to get the police to let it go. A couple years ago I was in Aggieville; a drunk guy randomly punched my friend as we walked on the sidewalk - we literally hadn't even seen the guy walking toward us and we hadn't been drinking, just passing through. The police asked if we all just wanted to drop it and go home, I said hell no unless they were going to turn their back and let us respond with kind to the drunk a-hole. Anyways,my point is, drunk college people get in fights all the time - most of the time nothing happens to them. Maybe I should post my story on the trending hashtag criming while white.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 12 months ago

Since bond was just $100 I doubt it was TOO bad. It could be something verbal that an officer didn't like. The "battery" charge indicates physical involvement but there is nothing mentioned about battery of a police officer. Maybe he shoved someone. Obviously we really know nothing other than what is in the article so we have no business speculating at this point.

Marc Frey 6 years, 12 months ago

I was young once. Even at KU when we could drink at age 18. I managed back then and now to avoid any.of these charges. And that includes 12 seasons with MLB and minor league players in bars. If you look for trouble you will find it. And I second the thought: nothing good happens after 12a.

John Williams 6 years, 12 months ago

He really shouldn't b out at that time. That's where this problem begins. That being said I have seen guys get arrested for what Jamari is being accused of by simply being there and asking if it was alright to leave and the overzealous officer saying take him too. Not uncommon at all. Jamart has been here now for 4 years (well he's in his 4th year and I can't think someone that is this much a part of the jahawk family should b kicked off the team or anything like that. He has had a more disenchanted look on the four this year.....almost a little to nonchalant about his effort good or bad. A little shocked bes making news like this,
but it is college.

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

They do have a right to ask if they're being detained and if they can leave. The officer does have a duty to answer that question, not avoid it.

kellerman411 6 years, 12 months ago

Shut The Cave down! That place has been nothing but trouble since it opened. That is where that bouncer picked a fight with T-Rob. I was there and saw it. It's pitch black in there and they let any slime bag in.. it's the perfect place for some jealous frat boy to take a shot at an athlete.

I'm not saying the athletes aren't to blame as well but a common denominator among several altercations has been The Cave. SHUT IT DOWN.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 12 months ago

Maybe the players shouldn't be going out. I agree the "angry frat bro" is pretty typical, but if the players have any sense they'll stay away from those situations since they represent KU and are getting a free education.

Cody Riedy 6 years, 12 months ago

You know in many other developed nations in the world, a free or at least affordable college education isn't seen as some great extravagant act of charity. Since this is America and the mythos of "business" is the hypothetical standard by which all human relations, especially those involving money should be guided by, I'd point out that an athlete produces more "value" than their scholarship is worth, especially a basketball player. My point is, which is much simpler than the preamble to my point is that I personally don't think that a scholarship is such a tremendously generous offering that student athletes should recuse themselves from ever participating in normal college life.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 12 months ago

Right or wrong, these athletes are public figures and are held to a different standard because of that. President Obama can't go out and hang at a bar with friends like other people can because of his position as a public figure. Athletes have to be smart about going out to a place like the Cave or any other club and knowing when to leave.

Cody Riedy 6 years, 12 months ago

Your're right. I guess my issue is that sometimes the way we talk about athletes can be patronizing and condescending in a way that makes me uncomfortable (not that that has necessarily occurred on this message board today).

Tom Longhofer 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm not certain, but I believe the police can get a place shut down, but it doesn't happen often. I think if they did shut down the Cave, the trouble would just find a new home.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 12 months ago

Police can shut down a place temporarily, but whether a business is allowed to be or not is determined by the City Council, Plan Comm or whomever issues licenses. Planner, PD, etc, would provide input and ref's, but final decision comes from others.

Shutting down a business, and kicking players off teams is not the answer. Students, players, and others will find a place to socialize, and hopefully learn to behave responsibly, though a harder lesson for some to learn than others.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 12 months ago

Nothing good happens after midnight.

These are not offenses worth kicking these guys off the team for. Probably a 1 game suspension for Traylor, and some 1 on 1 time with Holsopple for Coleman. Additional penalties can be taken if necessary after the investigations are done.

Brad Farha 6 years, 12 months ago

You and I had very different college experiences. I recall many good things happening after midnight :)

John Randall 6 years, 12 months ago

And tell us, please, how many of those 'good things' happened in a bar with a reputation and a name chosen to discourage decent folks from coming in??? Most of us pulled some dumb-@$$ stunts at that age, but not so many of us brag about it.

Brad Farha 6 years, 12 months ago

A bit of a leap there. The original statement was an all encompassing judgement that nothing good happens after midnight. I disagreed, and joked that I enjoyed many good things after midnight in college -- no bravado about questionable behavior or activities. There's so much fun to be had late at night in college -- hanging with friends at a coffee shop or in a dorm room, going to Late Night w/ Roy Williams, for sure going to a bar or a nightclub with a dubious name, and the list goes on.

Joe Ross 6 years, 12 months ago

Surprised at some of the negative personal reactions to Jamari Traylor. Though technically his actions were "criminal", this is about as low on the list of offenses that you can get. He is basically guilty of a stupid moment, nothing more. A one-game suspension is probably in order to send him a message to be smarter. This incident will be in the rear-view in short order.

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm calling BS on interfering with the police officer's duties. Their duty is to investigate what happened, not take some drunk idiot's word over what happened. If you are angry about how the players performed and you provoke this crap, you should be ashamed. This happens. There are a lot of whiny, drunks that call themselves fans at KU.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

Stunning post Micky. Comical, but still stunning.

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

You're still stunned over you're coming out with mud on your face on Friday night aren't you?

You were actually talking about how drunk you were getting on Friday night while whining during the first half. You're a tool.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

Sorry Micky wrong again, as you usually are, I have not had a drink since 1990. I would not be talking about being drunk, maybe you are thinking about someone else. Do you know where you are right now, do you feel ok, maybe you are having another one of your "episodes"? Take a deep breath, it might help clear up that troubled mind.

Not sure stating observations of how poorly we played in the first half was whining. Since about everyone, including the writers on this site, were doing the same thing I guess we should be more like you and think they were playing great?

Ah name calling. Micky I hold a low level of respect for you, like most on here, and you continue to help me prove that I am right to do so. So, thank you for the help.

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

You hold a low level of respect for yourself.

Allison Steen 6 years, 12 months ago

I find it kind of silly with the "nothing good happens after midnight" comments. While that is true, he is a college kid, they had a good win Friday night, he is of age, he is allowed to go out and be a person and have fun. I'd like to know how many people here at 21 and in college were staying in on Saturday nights perusing their book collection

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

Have you ever been out after midnight looking for something to do...? That statement is profound and true. It is not about staying in, it is thinking about where you are and putting yourself in positive situations. Surrounding yourself with people who are not bored and causing negative situations.

The 1:52am arrest is where you say to yourself, you know this might not be the best location to be at. The 2:17 arrest is thinking it is.

His play has been off so far, he seems lost, dis-interested. Maybe something in his personal life is going on with him.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

LOL, well Brett that is the time we went out too so you comment misses my point. The earlier arrest means you leave or be cooperative with Police until you can leave. The place you are at is not a postive place, find somewhere else to be. I know I have been in a situation like he is in. I was not the one arrested, I was the guy next to him. I learned the hard way nothing good happens after midnight. Nothing.

In case you have not been paying attention Police are not in the mood for noncompliance. Proscutors are agreeing with them, even with video evidence. You cooperate with the police and find another place to be at.

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

Cliches aren't working out well for you.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 12 months ago

Micky your post below tells me so much about who you are. Wow I am sorry, I thought you were, well educated.

Now that I know, well, you aren't, I will be more tolerant of your, well, short comings. Stay Strong, you will be ok.

Remember the voices are not real. Everything will work out for you.

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

Actually, you're realizing you're not. When I was younger, I was out a lot after midnight and nothing bad ever happened. Your own experiences cannot be projected onto everyone else, unless of course in your mind they're "not educated".

John Randall 6 years, 12 months ago

Right, Brett, 'Things change' after midnight or 1am – and most of those changes are not for the better unless you have some sense about where you spend your time and who you spend it with.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 12 months ago

1:52 is 8 minutes before before closing time at bars and clubs. Drunk people typically make very poor choices. A lot of college kids also don't understand the concept of drinking responsibly. Add in a possibly inebriated athlete, and it's a recipe for trouble.

There is nothing wrong with going out and having a good time even if you're an athlete. Hanging out a club until closing time with a reputation for athletes getting in trouble isn't the smartest decision. Athletes need to be smart about going out because they are public figures and that makes them targets.

Allison Steen 6 years, 12 months ago

I also have to wonder if he wasn't a ku basketball player, and just a normal college student, if they'd just kinda let it go. While I was at KU not too long ago, I'd seen MUCH worse that cops brushed off.

John Randall 6 years, 12 months ago

"I'd seen MUCH worse that cops brushed off."

You speak like an experienced witness - care to elaborate?

Allison Steen 6 years, 12 months ago

Sure, John, why not! I personally have never gotten in trouble with the law, but I've seen people who should've been charged with assault and weren't. Hell, one of my friends in Lawrence got out of a DUI. Couple MIPs. There are cops everywhere that are willing to let kids go for more, especially in college towns. I don't know why this is so shocking to you. It depends the type of cop you are dealing with, some are reasonable, and some are out for blood from the beginning.

Allison Steen 6 years, 12 months ago

And I know this from having multiple cops in my family. They would agree with me.

John Williams 6 years, 12 months ago

I cometely agree with all who r in the court of this is minor. Traylor has never been in the news regularly if at concerning anything of this nature and if I recall his story correctly, was raised (not really an accurate depiction of phraseology) "grew up" w/o a tremendous amount of direction and easily turned left and be someone we never even heard of. I believe he was a starving 8h or 9th grader living on the streets and in cars or some horrible daytime nighttime life resembling that past vision. 'Mari is no thug and even though I don't spend every day with him (actually none) its quite obvious to me that this blip on the radar screen for him is something Coach will take care of, as will the law and he will continue rising as he has done at this B-ball progrm and university. We all encounter things like this in our earlier age attempting to understand which crossroad means the most to our next success as a human being when u lay in bed at night and wonder/hope u will live a productive life and affect this fallen world in a way that changes others lives let alone your own. Guys, 2 years from now Taylor will b main money playn ball and positively affecting lives. Mark it down. Now all that I would like to see from him on the court is a tiny bit more intensity and a little less bubble gum chomping I'm not so sure I'm into tbis right now loo .

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

You're right John. When I was 18 and a freshman in college, I was cited for minor in possession of alcohol. I went to court, paid the fine. I did it again and just never got caught again. Traylor did something very minor.

For those who may not agree, it is also the responsibility of the police officer to be professional and treat the people they are to serve with respect. It wasn't resisting arrest. He may have said something to the cop... that doesn't always, and in fact rarely justifies a charge of "interfering with a police officers' duties". Sometimes, the cops actually do interfere with people's rights. Most of the time, the cops get away with it too. They're rarely ever charged with it. I've seen it. I was pulled over once while delivering newspapers and given a citation for reckless driving just because the guy didn't like my dad who was a reserve deputy. It didn't go anywhere. It was thrown out and it should have been. Another thing that might have pissed him off is that he was embarrassed. He asked what I was doing while shining a flashlight in the back seat with a pile of 200 newspapers. He couldn't figure this out at 5:30 am?

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

Why are you so obsessed with me? You can't get over the fact that I called you for acting so immaturely on Friday night can you? You know, you said there was no way Kansas was going to come back. I said they were. I was right. You don't have to like what I write. I don't care if you don't.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 12 months ago

We know there are more drinking establishments in the hotel in place of one old funky bar that was quite popular.

We remember what the public was told in that a new hotel would not have bar problems and less hassles for the neighboring home owners. IS THIS TRUE THUS FAR?

In general are there fewer problems with more drinking establishments at this location that taxpayers were forced to help finance?

Tyson Ailshie 6 years, 12 months ago

He is not an average college kid. He is a basketball player on scholarship, representing the team and the school nationally. Therein, he is held to a much higher standard than an average college kid. Any trouble with the law, minor or not, is unacceptable for these basketball players. You can go out and have fun, but you must make better choices. There is a lot more riding than being a normal student. I have complete trust in HCBS to handle this situation properly. Hopefully, it can serve as a learning tool for this young man, and put him back on track.

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

Here is where the problem is. One group of human beings holds other people to a higher standard than they hold themselves. Why should a "normal college student" be held to a lower standard? It's just easy to blame someone else who everyone knows the name of isn't it? It would be a lot more productive if everyone involved in the incident were named including the normal students or other residents involved. They might be named in the print version of the paper that most people won't see if they were also charged.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 12 months ago

Lets face it, it's not hard to get a "interfering with duties of an officer" charge at the Oread at 2AM. Sure it's total hell for police when the bars get out, and might be easier to arrest then let things get out of hand.

Steve Hilker 6 years, 12 months ago

"Interfering with an officer" can be as simple as lying to the officer about what happened. A fight breaks out between your buddy and an angry frat boy. Your buddy started it, but you lie to cover his butt. 15 other witnesses tell another version. You "interfered". DON"T FRIGGIN BE THERE AT 2:00 AM! Didn't you learn anything from Naddir's late night activities? Or Brady's? To name just a couple. C'mon man!

Doug Cramer 6 years, 12 months ago

Traylor doesn't need to be kicked off the team for this. Just play Mickelson.

The 6ft 10 Mickelson may end up being a more productive player than Traylor anyways.

Janet Olin 6 years, 12 months ago

Very disappointing, but lets please await more facts before rushing to judgement. May be a serious lapse, may be next to nothing. In any case, a brain-dead moment for him and a black eye for the program. I'm confident Coach Self knows how to motivate him in the right direction. For starters, can you see Landon and Hunter playing more minutes in the short-term?

Tyler Capone 6 years, 12 months ago

Why couldn't Traylor get arrested for assault or something? Kidding. Not really.

RJ King 6 years, 12 months ago

That Jamari is being criticized for his immaturity is ironic considering the petty and annoying middle school-esque cyber blows between some of the posters.

Interference with the duties of an officer is defined as "resisting or opposing any police officer to serve process." Like being uncooperative. Or fleeing the scene. It's a misdemeanor. Jamari is emotional. My gut tells me he was either arguing or ghost leaving. Not at all smart but, wow - what a lack of compassion from so many here.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 12 months ago

Well stated.

Jamari is a very emotional person, and it's because of his background. He feels that his father is unfairly imprisoned. We have no idea what his eyes have seen growing up where he did and being on the street at times in his life. I'd venture to guess that his past has provided him with very little trust in police officers (fair or not) and with the current social climate in this country there's even more raw feelings and distrust than normal. It's really easy on the outside looking in to cast judgment at Jamari or to brush this all off as no big deal. But ultimately unless you know what Jamari said or did and unless you know what the police officer said or did then there is no basis other than the face value that he was arrested for interfering, released on $100 bond, and the legal process is just beginning. Ultimately, whatever Jamari did, he was arrested for "interfering" with a police officer. He wasn't arrested for attacking a police officer. He wasn't arrested for hurting anyone. His punishment won't be severe, and he will learn from this.

Janet Olin 6 years, 12 months ago

Would be nice to know exactly what Mari did. "Interfering with the duties of an officer" is pretty much a carte blanche label. Could be arguing/verbal opposition or could be physically interfering. Let's wait to see what he actually did to get twisted about it. You are right. RJ, that Mari is emotional. I can see him mouthing off but that would be enough to get in trouble.

Joseph Bullock 6 years, 12 months ago

why don't people just let the legal process play out, and let the Coaching Staff then decide what to do. To say, at this point, he should have his scholarship pulled is ignorant. That is just like some people wanted Perry Ellis gone after the Kentucky game: after 1 bad game against a bunch of future NBA lottery picks, who double and triple teamed him all game long-in a game where nobody played wel for us. Some people are just plain ignorant.

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

Joseph, this is a novel idea.

I can picture the scenario of some wannabe college basketball expert talking smack to Jamari about his bad game on Friday and getting in his face and all his buddies acting like Jamari is the one that provoked it.

However, here is my tip to Jamari. If someone does do that, just get up and walk away. Let them call you names or whatever they're going to do. That way they can be like Rodney Crain.

KJ Quartermaine 6 years, 12 months ago

Anybody calling for or even implying Traylor should be booted from the team over this, well, you're all just stupid beyond belief. No words can adequately describe that level of stupidity. However, that level of stupidity seems to be regular on message boards. So I'm not surprised in the least.

Another thing, "Officers of law" exaggerating details of stories seems to be a common occurrence these days. Wonder if Traylor had his hands up?

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

This isn't on the level of the Ferguson ordeal at all, and we do know for a fact that MB did not have his hands up according to grand jury testimony.

KJ Quartermaine 6 years, 12 months ago

The grand jury testimony? Right. Most people I know feel the entire Grand Jury proceedings were corrupted. And I never said this was on the level of Ferguson. Show me where I said that. My point of the Hands-up reference, which should be clear, is that I would trust the word of Traylor over that of any law enforcement officer. And by the way, I didn't have to use hands-up to make my point, I could have used "I can't Breathe." Tough for me to trust those who abuse their power.

Let me guess Fred, you were one of the idiots calling for Traylor to be booted from the team?

Micky Baker 6 years, 12 months ago

Actually, the only valid one would be "I can't breathe" as we know Michael Brown did not have his hands up. It was his own family's examiner that released the autopsy findings. All in the front, and all in the front of the arms. His hands were not up.

KJ Quartermaine 6 years, 12 months ago

I wonder where Fred is clocking in at right now? And I wonder how much critical thinking his job requires on a daily basis? I'm guessing not much based on his "eloquent" response back to me. I mean, Fred, the way you went into detail, picking me apart was astounding. Harvard law degree?

Jerry Walker 6 years, 12 months ago

I trust Coach Self to do what's best for Jamari...on the court and just as importantly off the court.

However, Jamari "seems" to be troubled personally. His summertime tweet of "Happy Independence Day! To a country built on lies, injustice, and hypocrisy. "Freedom" to all." with a picture of a black man with a noose around his neck indicates that.

Then there's his seeming lack of hustle and focus on the court in the early games...followed by this incident (And I'm certainly not condemning him till the facts come out) that points to some personal issues.

Jason Wilson 6 years, 12 months ago

"Interfering wih the duties of a police officer" is usually something like complaining about them arresting your friend, or recording what they're doing, or something else very much legal. Almost all of these charges are later dropped.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 12 months ago

How do you know that almost all charges of interfering are later dropped?

Not saying that I don't believe you, but I'm just curious if you're saying this because you've heard it or if you work in the courthouse, or if you are in law enforcement.

David Holroyd 6 years, 12 months ago

10 police cars and an ambulance is no slight matter. Coach Self should not be protected. KU ball players, football and basketball have amenities givebpn to them that other non scholarship students have not.

The hotel bars are a problem. I have strong reason to believe that the hotel has had inquiries from KU administration about the problems at The Cave. What is strange is that the codo owners at the hotel have not figured out they own in a "not very first class " hotel.

These players should not be exempt because they are just college kids having fun.

What was the total dollar cost to tie up the officers and ambulance? Is this why Chief Khatib wants more police so that they can police the bars?

If the new football coach does not address the problem in a severe way, he won't be any better than the others and Coach Self to do likewise. He is not any better than the players who were arrested, ifhe doesn't.

KU is not just basketball!

DaNeille Dani Davis 6 years, 12 months ago

Interfering with police is how dumba$$es get shot by cops then people start rioting. As athletes, these idiots should have known better. Stupid moves, guys! Not a good way to represent yourselves and the University.