Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Myles Turner expected to choose between KU, Texas today

McDonald's East All-American Myles Turner, of Bedford, Texas, competes in the three-point shootout during the McDonald's All-American Jam Fest at the University of Chicago in Chicago, on Monday, March 31, 2014.

Myles Turner used Twitter to invite his Trinity High School classmates to a special ceremony today in Euless, Texas.

“Boy oh boy What a journey ... If you can get out of 5th PD (hour) I will be committing at 3 p.m., (in) THS upper gym tomorrow #stoked,” Turner, a 6-foot-11 senior center wrote at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Turner, Rivals.com’s No. 9-rated player nationally, is expected to commit to, and sign with, either Kansas University or Texas live today on ESPNU. Other schools that also have a chance at landing the McDonald’s All-American are SMU, Duke, Oklahoma State, Ohio State and Texas A&M.

“Myles had some great last-minute visits and is still pondering his options,” Trinity coach Mark Villines told zagsblog.com on Tuesday. Turner met with KU on Easter Sunday, Texas and A&M last Monday, Duke and Oklahoma State last Wednesday.

On Tuesday, ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein and Reggie Rankin put odds on schools’ chances of landing Turner.

ESPN says the odds of Turner signing with Texas are 65 percent, Kansas 20 percent, Oklahoma State 5 percent, SMU 5 percent, Duke 3 percent, Ohio State 1 percent and A&M 1 percent.

“Turner would be able to stretch the defense in pick-and-pop situations and be excellent in the high post in the Bill Self high-low offense,” Rankin and Finkelstein wrote.

Of how he fits at UT, they wrote: “Turner will be able to play facing the basket and excel in the Longhorns’ transition game, where he can show his whole offensive game. He also will be an elite shot-blocker in Rick Barnes’ pressure man defense.”

Graham update: Devonte Graham, a 6-2 senior point guard from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., currently is taking some time to assess his recent campus visits to KU, North Carolina State and Virginia, jayhawkslant.com reports. Graham, Rivals.com’s No. 36-rated player in the Class of 2014, will either soon commit to a school or take additional visits to Providence and/or Virginia Tech.

Self on Anderson hiring: KU coach Bill Self on Tuesday commented to the Journal-World on Missouri’s hiring of Kim Anderson as basketball coach.

“I am very happy for Kim. He has more than paid his dues,” Self said. “Of course he loves the University of Missouri and was a great player there and a longtime assistant. I think it should be a great fit.

“He has always carried himself with class. I think Missouri fans will be — it’s hard for me to say this being a KU guy — but I think Missouri fans will be very well pleased.”

Asked if Self wants to schedule Mizzou now, he said: “No. No. That doesn’t have anything to do with it. I didn’t have any problem with Frank Haith (former MU coach now at Tulsa) at all. Zero. I like Frank. I definitely think the world of Kim, but I’m not going to ... that does not impact the schedule.”

McClure to BU: King McClure, a 6-3 junior shooting guard from Dallas’ Triple A Academy, on Tuesday announced for Baylor over Arkansas, SMU, UCLA and others. He listed KU as a finalist, but the Jayhawks did not offer him a scholarship and have not been recruiting him actively for months. He’s ranked No. 37 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com.

Comments

Gerry Butler 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I want to say this, you may agree or you may disagree either way is fine. watching, observing myles turner to me there is ALOT of his game that reminds me of Isiah Austin of Baylor. pretty close to the same hght maybe THE same hght 6"11- 7'0 both rebounds pretty good, except Isiah didn't as well in college I don't believe, will that be the case with myles? both shot blockers, both took or can take it outside 3pt distance Isiah liked the 3pt shot not real dangerous by any means myles shoots the 3, both I think fits better to the inside game, and the BIGGIE both Isiah AND Myles lack bulk, Isiah I thought was to small get muscled around, myles is known for getting hurt. definitely needs to add weight. the real question is, do we want a Isiah Austin clone? both could handle a ball some what, wouldn't shock me either way Texas, OR Kansas. I sure am not driving of a cliif it he goes with Texas, which my gut says he is, if he signs with K ansas fine, but I think we will be fine if he doesn't bigger concern is the point to me by far. look at jo jo last season needed to put on muscle look how he was man handled in the big 12. do we want a repeat of that this year? Myles is smaller framed then jo jo was and is prone to injury just my thoughts, agree or disagree doesn't matter to me. that's just 1 person opinion, thoughts

Mel Clare 6 months, 4 weeks ago

If Turner comes onboard that is fine. But not holding my breath. The thing here is Mickelson, Lucas are 6'11 guys and Mickelson is known as a banger. Alexander is also a banger at 6'9, Lucas will be a redshirt sophomore and another year with Hudy, Ellis is not a banger at 6'8 but Traylor is at 6'8. I think even if he signs elsewhere we have the size and girth to hold up the middle.

Besides, Mickelson was averaging what? 8 pt and 5 rb playing part time at Arkansas? I think he is the surprise for this upcoming year.

Andy Hess 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Mickelson and Lucas are 6'10", and Jamari Traylor is only 6'8" when standing on the Lawrence phonebook.

Benz Junque 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Mark Lindrud 6 months, 4 weeks ago

We have enough depth either way. I will never say no to more talent coming, but either way we will be really good. We have Self. Good luck to this kid and his decision. Let him enjoy his moment.

Matt Spitzli 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Everyone saying that we'll be really good next year... well, it's possible I guess. I'm not seeing it, yet. I really want Turner.

If we get Turner, then with he and Mickleson sharing time, we'll always have a rim protector on at the 5. Alexander can block some shots too but at 6'8 he's more suited to the 4 spot. With Oubre at the 3 (also excellent defense), then I can see us putting some hurt on some people.

As for Ellis, well, if his defense doesn't improve, I hope he loses PT to Alexander. Daydreamking about this five on the floor--Turner, Alexander, Oubre, Seldon, Frankamp/Whoever--we'd have tons of offensive options and could play some lock down defense too.

Steve Corder 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Either way, the road to the Big 12 championship still goes through Lawrence.

Joe Baker 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Wow...65% chance of going to UT? I guess we know where ESPN stands with Turner's choice. I guess they don't want to see him play much with Ridley and Ebeh. They also have another 6-9 JC transfer Obina Oleka. So Barnes loaded on bigs and now ESPN expects them to get Turner? Extremely optimistic prediction at 65% without reviewing each option.

They forget our 5 is wide open without Embiid. I just don't think Lucas or Mickelson are as talented or have the ceiling of Turner. Turner can come in and get pt immediately. He'll definitely have to fight a very big and experienced Ridley and Ebeh out of the 5. Holmes plays the 4 too, so that's tight pt too. This JC is going to give Barnes some experience. I see Turner as a close third 5 option from the bench, which means you'll see Ridley sit first, then Ebeh will come off the bench, and then Turner may or may not get pt.

So, 65% is a bit too bold under the circumstances. I'd say you can favor UT at best, but at this point it's around 50/50 either school.

Glen Miller 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Lucas and Mickelson probably aren't as talented as Turner.... but both have spent at least a year in our system and have been able to work with Hudy in that time. Turner will not even realize his potential before he leaves college because he's gone after one year. I am not as high on the hog about this kids as I can see a lot of you are. If I had my choice I would rather have Graham come in. Give me Mickelson/Lucas with their experience and body size/toughness over a kid that hasn't even put on a college jersey and will only be here one year. I hardly doubt that Turner's ability is just that much better than those two, that for the single year he's here he will just be leaps and bounds above two guys that have multiple years of college ball experience and have shown that they can compete. I will not be just down and out if Turner chooses another school as I think we will be a good team either way. We've got the size and depth to be fine without him. We tend to do better with guys on the floor that have spent some time in our system anyways. Just my perspective on the deal.

Joe Baker 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Oh I don't have a problem with Lucas or Mickelson. I agree to a point. Maybe I just don't want him going to UT... :) It's all good. I resolved it a while back. It's still exciting. It's like being on a roller coaster ride and not knowing how it's going to end. Some you get off excited and ready to ride again, others, not so much, disappointed. Oh well...it's been fun all the same. He's a good kid and frankly Glen, I'm big on this kid, but it's fine either way. I do think Graham will help in the next 2-3 years after Tharpe and Mason are gone. I just don't like Self's pg rotation and pg playing philosophy. I think Graham can work if Self uses him right.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 4 weeks ago

OAKVILLE ODDITIES:

1] Kevin Durant played for Texas...not KU. We will see Myles play..unfortunately, he'll be wearing Orange.

2] Unless our point guard play improves, we will be good...but not great next season.

3] No Turner means a lot of PT just showed up on the front line.

4] Pencil in Frank [three more years plus more upside than Naadir plus Conner and Naadir as back-up]. Kelly [almost as talented as Andrew with twice the warrior mentallity plus Branden & AWIII as back-up]. Cliff [need I say anything] and Wayne [sure to improve and become a TAD]. That leaves a whole bunch of guys battling for that last spot...Perry, Jamari, Hunter, Landon...get it on!!!!!!

5] KU would be the mature player's choice..Texas would be the eighteen year old player's choice...I'll guess we will just have to wait and see.

6] At least Myles got what he wanted...the whole stage to himself with seven schools holding their collective breaths......hmmmmm, let me think about that!

Preston Dwiggins 6 months, 4 weeks ago

No one thought Wiggins was going to choose Kansas, but he did, just sit tight...

Robert Brock 6 months, 4 weeks ago

KU is in pretty good shape at the 3, 4, and 5 spots. Not so good at the 1 and 2. Unless the KU staff starts making better decisions about recruiting targets at the 1 and 2, Jayhawk hoops will become just average. Guards are important - not just bigs.

For example - In recent years, the staff chose to go after Josiah Turner and Cat Barber and actually landed Naadir Tharpe and Frank Mason. The fact that Turner and Barber were our top targets tells me that there is something wrong.

Unfortunately, this is still going on with the way we are looking at the Class of 2015.

Ethan Berger 6 months, 4 weeks ago

We are good at the 2. Selden is returning. Plus whoever doesn't start at the one will be a back up the 2 also. Greene can also play the 2. Our concerns are the 1 and 5. I think Mason will be a starter next year and will lead is well. 5 is my main concern.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Selden can play the 1 and Oubre can also play the 2.

Selden may turn out to be the teams secret weapon, especially if his knee repairs allowing him to take the point.

Rob Bedford III 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Selden was keeping his secret safe scoring 2 points per game in the tourney.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Not sure how we are good at the 5 spot without having a true center on the team. Obviously we have plenty of height and depth at the 4 spot but there is no one who can adequately fill the minutes lost by Embiid leaving.

I also disagree with your assessment of the 2 spot. Selden as a sophomore will not feel the need to defer to Oubre and with Greene and White, I think we are pretty solid at the 2.

So I guess we agree on 60%. Not that bad.

Sam Constance 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I love the 'how he fits at Texas' bit from ESPN.com:

I guess I'm not seeing how Turner wouldn't be able to face-up or excel in transition ANYWHERE he went. Same with the shot-blocking ability.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Right, because Kansas doesn't spend about 50% of their offensive positions running a High/Low set with one big facing the basket in the High Post. Kansas doesn't play in transition, and Kansas especially has never had a defense that features a shot-blocker.

Micky Baker 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Are you sure about Kansas never having a defense that features a shot-blocker? It wasn't that long ago. It wasn't just Embiid who was a shot-blocker. Withey has the all time Kansas record, if I recall.

Joe Baker 6 months, 4 weeks ago

The obvious choice is UT, but the smart choice is KU. The Rant has him at KU and Rick Barnes will have a "frowny face" : (

The buzz has been UT, but the Rant says all the whisper is KU...it's great. I love D1 college bball.

Ryan Zimmerman 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I know everyone says how "deep" we are at the big position, but I don't agree

Lucas and Traylor are not reliable to pick up good minutes. Traylor got sat a game or two for coach's decision based on behavior and Lucas hasn't been impressive to coach really in his few minutes

Mickelson is an unknown

we need Turner....and Graham

Rob Bedford III 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I agree 100%. Lucas is slow and lacks offense. Traylor has some ability but he is 6'6 maybe 6'7 and can not match up with bigger opponents.

Joe Baker 6 months, 4 weeks ago

JTray was the most improved. I thought and think he'll come out in beast mode as a junior. His offense is a bit lacking, but strong, fundamental, sound, and reliable. I thought he played an outstanding game against EKY. If not for JTray, KU loses. I think that's JTray's role, pick up the slack when no one else will. He's the inside utility man that gets the job done. If he can develop a 15-18 foot jumper, he will be nice to have in the rotation. His free throws were way better than I expected. He's a worker. I can't wait to see him this year.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 4 weeks ago

He made a high percentage from the field (67.4%) and a good percentage from the foul stripe (66.7%), too.

I was very impressed with his shooting, and his ability to drive to the basket.

His free throw percentage went from 58% to 67% in his 2nd season. In all of November and December he was 17 of 20, but in March he made just 9 of 17.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Even the unknown is not a true center. Obviously we will be playing Ellis and Alexander will be on the court together for a lot of minutes but both are power forwards so I don't see how we can adequately fill the hole left by Embiid. Not getting Turner is going to hurt especially going against teams like Duke or Kentucky if we meet them in the NCAA.

As for Graham, even with the big jump by Rivals to #36, I don't see him being a short-term or a long-term answer as the point guard. He is not going to start over Tharpe, Frankamp or Mason next season and hopefully we can land a top point guard in next year's recruiting class.

John Fitzgerald 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I read an article where Turner discusses how each team will benefit him. For Texas, he talked about how he hopes to be as good as Durant. That to me gives the hint he's choosing Texas, because all the other teams he just talked about the system. But, ya never know until you know. Little over an hour yall!

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Everyone should hope to be as good as Durant, except maybe Lebron...

Rob Bedford III 6 months, 4 weeks ago

And hope you don't have to play Memphis in the NBA playoffs.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Just reread the transcript from a previous interview and it suddenly hit me..Myles stated that he didn't have to be the center of attention and that what he wanted most was to win a National Championship........he's not going to Texas...he's not coming to Kansas....he is going to shock the world and pick DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!

As my old eighth grade nun used to say.."wouldn't that just jar your mother's preserves!!"

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 4 weeks ago

funny. We all know where he is going....UT

Walter Bridges 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I hope HCBS rewards one of the walk-ons and keeps the scholarship until next year. Devonte Graham is NOT going to add much to KU. Mason & Conner are both better players.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Oh well..no real surprise, I guess, for Myles to pick Texas. Funny, but I don't feel as deflated as similar "hat dances" in the past. I guess having the #4 and #9 kids coming in helps ease the pain.

I must admit, now we have TWO big question marks for next season....will the point guard play be upgraded and will the hole left by Jo Jo's departure be adequately filled.

Layne Pierce 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Interesting that Turner did not look all that great in all-star games. Injuries part of it, but it never looked like he wants to mix it up on the inside. He is nobody's Kevin Durant. He may even have a hard time starting.