Monday, April 14, 2014

N.H. prep guard Graham plans Kansas visit

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Devonte Graham, a 6-foot-2, 175-pound senior point guard from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, will make an official recruiting visit to Kansas University on Friday, Brewster coach Jason Smith reported Sunday on Twitter.

Graham, who recently was released from his letter-of-intent at Appalachian State, will visit North Carolina State a week from today. Graham also is considering Virginia, Virginia Tech, Providence and Xavier. Graham is currently unranked in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.com.

“Graham is a long and rangy point guard who is deceptively athletic,” writes Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “He dribbles the ball with purpose, advances the ball up the floor via the pass in transition and is a very good on the ball defender. He doesn’t take a lot of risks and is usually quite efficient.”

In other recruiting news:

• Trevor Thompson, a 7-foot freshman at Virginia Tech, has announced plans to transfer to Ohio State. Thompson, who had expressed some interest in KU, averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 boards this past season. He chose Ohio State over Indiana, Purdue and Butler.

• Former Boston University point guard Maurice Watson committed to Creighton on Sunday, his father, Maurice Sr., told zagsblog.com. The 5-10 Philadelphia native chose Creighton over Illinois and Wichita State. He’d also expressed interest in KU.

• Independence Community College freshman guard Tarik Phillip on Sunday committed to West Virginia, according to Zagsblog.com. The 6-foot-2 Phillip, who averaged 18.7 points and 4.7 assists per game last season, said he also considered KU, Memphis and Oklahoma State.

Comments

tommy glenn 4 months, 1 week ago

We need thus guy bad #byebyenaenae

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

He looks like he is the answer. on paper! At least he is tall... Sign him before leaves guys!!!

Ian Emerson 4 months, 1 week ago

A starting pg that could effectively guard athletic players would be nice. I still miss Tyshawn :(

Bob Thompson 4 months, 1 week ago

What we need is a smart guard that can take care of the ball and run the offense, oh and stay in front of his man on defense would be nice.

Ian Emerson 4 months, 1 week ago

I still feel naadir would be a good backup pg. He excelled when he backed up EJ but he's just not starting material. Those little legs can't keep up with taller faster guards and he's just not polished enough to be a Russ Rob type point guard. He truly is a 2 in a 1's body. I know it is a long shot that if we sign this pg he will be talented and intelligent enough to compete and nab the starting spot but stability at the pg spot would do wonders for our team next season.

Mick Allen 4 months, 1 week ago

Did those "little legs" of Boatright and Napier keep up with those "long legs" of Kentucky's Harrison twins? I will reiterate, at the point and the two, quickness and the ability to get into the paint and the creases in the zone off the bounce are more significant attributes than height. Your biggest line up is not necessarily your best line up. Napier and Boatright are both 6'. Did you think they were too short? It is not the length of Nude ir's legs that make him a defensive liability, it is his lack of lateral quickness.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

Don't forget experience. Napier and Boatright were playing against freshman against KY. They had a much harder time against FL's experience. I don't think Nappier is even playing unless it's cause his mom wanted him to finish school last year. They also got on a roll, that team did not start clicking till OT of the ST Joe game truth be told.

Mark Lindrud 4 months ago

I do agree that Tharpe lacks lateral quickness. I do hope Mason learns to become more aggressive on D because he has jitterbug quickness. He had a tendency to lay off on occasion, but then again it seems this year we were not a strong team defensively this year and that is understating it. Amusing reference to Nude ir.

Benz Junque 4 months ago

I thought it was his lack of intelligence and ability to shoot?

Benz Junque 4 months ago

Maybe he meant "mental quickness" instead of "lateral quickness"...

Robert Brock 4 months, 1 week ago

Who was the last good-quality PG that Coach Self recruited? Deron Williams?

Andy Hess 4 months, 1 week ago

Sherron Collins. Mario Chalmers. Russell Robinson.

Erich Hartmann 4 months, 1 week ago

How Mr. Brock misses on Chalmers, Robinson, and Collins is beyond me, must not be a KU fan or alum...maybe he hasnt watched any Bill Self basketball since Self's Illini days...LOL!!!!!

Tyshawn Taylor (3star), Elijah Johnson(5star), Josh Selby(5star). "Recruited" was the qualifier. Each kid's career had its ups/downs, or injuries...but you cannot say Self doesnt target high-talent or high-potential kids.

Tyrel Reed wasnt a slouch recruit, either, top50, and had an offer from UNC.

Ethan Berger 4 months, 1 week ago

Dang, looks like if a kid doesn't shine in his first year then he has no chance of being good according to our fans. Mason wasn't even top 75 yet found his way to be out sixth man. I'm not worried about point. This kid is tall but is he a floor general? What makes us so sure the he is better the Mason and Frankamp? Odds are this kid, if he commits to us won't play year 1. Mason and Frankamp were only Freshman. Imagine if we gave up on The Morris twins, Releford, Trob, Kaun, Jackson..... After one year? Players biggest jump is from year 1 to 2. We have two quality pgs on this roster.

Suzi Marshall 4 months, 1 week ago

Or more like...if a kid doesn't shine in his third year then he has no chance of being good according to the fans.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

'Mason wasn't even top 75'

You are 100% correct. He was #76.

Have any stats to back-up your claim that the biggest jump is from year 1 to year 2? Kuan, Markief, TRob, Withey, Cole, Stewert all made their biggest jumps between years 2 & 3.

Shane Johnston 4 months, 1 week ago

All of our current guards were ranked higher coming in and they now have experience in Self's system. I'm skeptical.

If Coach is convinced we need a one-year fix, then our best shot is an experienced transfer

Jack Wilson 4 months, 1 week ago

I think Ethan and Shane are exactly right. This is not a move where Self would be planning on this guy starting. It's for depth.

Very importantly, the 2015 class has just two top 50 point guards. When Tharpe graduates, we would be left then with just two ball handlers, Mason and CF. If we are going to get a lower ranked guy, why not get him now so by 2015-16 he'll have a year under his belt?

But I think Mason is the real deal. I expect Mason to take the starting job and to be the man for the next three seasons. He did show tenacity on defensive and his three point shooting improved significantly in the latter third of the season. He also demonstrated an improved ability to drive and dish as the season progressed.

I'm interested, though, in when the transfer news is coming. One spot open. Trying to land Graham and Turner.

Suzi Marshall 4 months, 1 week ago

We need three guards for the starting1 and backup 2 roles. It sounds to me like Self has completely given up on one of those 3, probably the one that has been around the longest, who came into this season ill prepared to lead the team and should know better. Sounds like Self's cut line to sign a new PG is size, defensive ability, and secure ball handling skills.

We will know bt this weekend where Turner stands.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

I do not think Self would be chasing down possible PG's right now if did not feel he needed help there right away. Mason is not the answer next season, the game was way to fast for him most of the time. His defenses was inconsistent too.

Erich Hartmann 4 months, 1 week ago

Rodney, sorry...I disagree 100% on Mason. And you mis-typed: Mason was too fast for the game, needing to choose better when to fast attack and when to run the set offense. Mason personally took it to Duke, and that was all instinct as he was only in his 3rd or 4th game as a Jayhawk. I wish you had watched more of our KU games this season, and you obviously wouldnt have missed the boat on Mason.

And every critique you have of Mason actually is a little worse for Frankamp, and for Tharpe. Frankamp AND Mason showed better D than Tharpe, with Mason being the best, quickest defender of all 3. Come on, you know Self notices that. You also know Self loves his guards to have bulldog tenacity...or do you??

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

Mason is not the answer. He plays out of control and outside the offense. Hoping that kid is a starter, is hoping too much. We need a PG that values the ball and can run a team. Mason is still 2 years away from doing that consistently. Your last point is why Coach Self is chasing a PG right now, not how he notices that he has what he is looking for right now on his bench. We need a upgrade at PG and that player is not on our team right now.

If he does not get a PG, we are in for another tough year like this past one if we have to settle for whats on our bench right now.

Sam Constance 4 months ago

My thoughts exactly, Jack. The idea that Self is bringing an unranked PG to take the reins over from three guys who 1) have experience in his system and at the level of D-I basketball at which KU plays, and 2) were all significantly more touted coming out of high school is the height of fan insanity caused by dissatisfaction with the status quo.

I know everyone is down on Tharpe, and with good reason. He became increasingly inconsistent as the season wore on and was demonstrably poor at guarding our opponent's point guard. But who's to say that this Graham kid is any better at either of those things. Even best case scenario based on his "on paper" reputation is that he's a better defender than Tharpe. I mean "doesn't take a lot of risks and is usually efficient sounds a lot like Good Tharpe. There is a reason that the list of teams interested in him is NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Xavier, and Providence. Doesn't the inclusion of Kansas on that list stick out like a sore thumb to anyone else?

I'm not as sure as you are about Mason, because I think he is the anti-Tharpe. He's quicker and more aggressive, but also more reckless and a poorer shooter. However, he's younger and theoretically has more room (and time) to improve his shortcomings. Tharpe has already had a lot of that time with not much to show for it outside of steady improvement in his shooting and A/TO ratio when he's not in a position where the team relies on him.

Personally, I'd rather have Turner + any current member of our roster than Turner + Graham. Of course, it sounds like multiple ESPN recruiting experts are predicting Turner will declare for Texas, in which case Graham would be better than nothing. Perhaps Self is aware of this Texas lean from Turner.

Tony Bandle 4 months, 1 week ago

The point of this article is expressing guarded optimism regarding at what point we drop our guard and take the point to take an unguarded chance on an unknown while pointing at the possibility of a guarding guard guarding our point. Then again, what's the point???

Tony Bandle 4 months, 1 week ago

P.S. Maybe we should just say the heck with it and have two shooting guards!!! :).

Len Shaffer 4 months, 1 week ago

I think we should all be on guard for bad puns, and point them out when we see them.

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 1 week ago

whoop whoop whoop! Len Shaffer's pun detector is going off. Len Shaffer is calling for pun control on the message boards. Oakville could be in trouble if a pun ban is instituted.

A wise man once said this: "Puns don't kill people."

People who hate puns kill people who make puns.

No malice.

Glen Miller 4 months, 1 week ago

I'm not real sure why any of you think Mason is our answer at the point. He's Sherron Collins without a very good jumper or 3 ball. I thought Sherron (though still a good player) was over rated and I think mason is as well. The kid drives the lane then realizes he's about to get blocked and throws up a prayer or turns it over. He is 100 mph all the time and that's not always such a good thing. I am sure there will be improvement on his decision making skills, but I'm not sure he's the answer at point. At the point we need a guy who has great ball handling, can set up teammates all over the floor, and who can play defense against the top guards in the country. I just don't see Mason being that guy. He's a nice spark plug off the bench, but I don't think he's a starter at the most important position on our team. I miss Russ Rob, he was the last really good point guard that we had.

Ethan Berger 4 months, 1 week ago

Because he was a freshman. The Standford game is what gave me hopes. He would drive then lob. That is a lethal trait for a pg if he can build on it.

Suzi Marshall 4 months, 1 week ago

If Ellis and Traylor hit the bunnies Mason set them up with, everyone would have been full of praise for Mason after the Stanford game. No doubt Mason is a strong contender for the starting PG but Self needs some depth at the 1 and 2.

Tony Bandle 4 months, 1 week ago

Glen, it's been awhile but if you can remember, RussRob wasn't great as a point his freshman year..Bill was constantly on his back. However, I do agree with you in that RR had a higher upside than FM and I'm sure Bill saw that, But I still think, Frank can be servicable at the point next season.

Glen Miller 4 months, 1 week ago

I am aware that my opinion is not of the popular kind on this matter. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think Mason is the "answer" at the point. Good player, but not the guy who's going to be the steadying leader that we need at that position. I wish CF has Mason's speed and quickness. I think Connor will be the better point when it's all said and done.

Mark Lindrud 4 months, 1 week ago

I am in agreement Glen. He can't shoot and when he drives to the basket he doesn't look for the open man. I would rather bring someone in and if anything Connor can play more shooting guard when needed because he is more natural at that spot as far as his shooting ability, especially as he becomes even more confident in his shot. He has shown versatility to play both spots so he brings a few interesting variables to the table.

Mick Allen 4 months, 1 week ago

Mark did you not watch the Stanford game? If Ellis and Traylor could finish Mason would have had 6 assists. The second half of the season Mason was by far the best at throwing the lob off the dribble. I will acknowledge at the first of the year he didn't look to drop the ball off. enough on his forays to the rack and I think some of the reason for that was his immediate success against Duke when he took it to the hoop and scored or got fouled and made free throws. I think this led him to believe he could do this whenever he drove. Remember too your bigs need to get familiar with the point guard so they can find an interior crease to get the ball when their defender gives ball help on the dribble drive. He needs to improve his jump shot, but his three point percentage at the end of the year was as good as Frankamp's. He hit 3 out of 4 against WVU to somewhat get us back in the game. If you liked the guard play of Boatright and Napier against Kentucky, and who didn't, Mason's physical attributes more closely mirror those of those two U Conn guards than anyone else on the squad. Cut Frank a little slack, he is only a freshman. Conner is steady and takes care of the ball. Think of his ability to hit the 3 from the 2 guard position after taking the kick out from a penetrating Mason. I have been close to the game and watched it for over 55 years and Mason can play and will play the point for KU. The more people doubt him the more I doubt their understanding of the game.

Mark Lindrud 4 months, 1 week ago

I did watch the Stanford game. I'm not basing his body of work on one game that was decent at best. Mason is highly inconsistent with his drives and I would be happy if he would set players up first before trying to drive and score like he did 99% of the time. I wouldn't be shocked if the players weren't ready for his passes because he hardly did it during the whole season. If you want to get excited about one game be my guest but I need more.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

It was his last game and most important game of the year and his ball handling and distribution of the ball were excellent. I'm not sure what you meant by your statement that you "would be happy if he would set players up first before trying to drive and score" Do you think setting players up just happens in a vacuum? I guarantee you the majority of a good point guard's assists comes off dribble penetration, not from running the set offense. How many times this year did you see our set offense stall against an active 1-3-1 or 2-3 zone? Let me answer for you by saying it happened too often. When this occurs, and it will occasionally happen to any zone offense, you better have a point who can create a numbers advantage by creating off the bounce.Who threw the lob off the dribble better than Frank? Nobody. Your understanding of what a point guard should be is extremely naive. How do you want to create offense if the set offense is not getting you good looks? Just continue to throw lazy lateral lob passes in the back court as we did in the Villanova, Florida, Colorado etc. losses? Mason is also our most capable player of pushing the ball in the open court, which is another area where a good point guard can rack up assists. Often times even when the shot at the rim is missed, just getting the ball on the glass creates rebound put backs, as the opposition's ring protector has helped out on the drive abandoning his rebound position. My opinion of Mason, contrary to your statement is from having been immersed in the game for 55 years not one game. Mqson's willingness to distribute the ball instead of forcing it to the rim[99% of the time,right] improved considerably as the season progressed. I heard the same criticism of Sherron early in his career. If this were Mason's junior year and he was not making good decisions I would not be defending him. He was a freshman for Christ's sake. If you are an interior player that is dependent on the point guard getting you the ball, you better be ready to receive the ball or you shouldn't be out there. Get back to me after you better understand what a good point guard does.

Mark Lindrud 4 months ago

Someone forget to feed you your oatmeal this morning? I know exactly what a point guard does because I played the position for years. I am amused with your being so easily upset just because someone disagrees with you. You mention the drive when a play breaks down and I am hoping he learns to try to find the open man when he drives because he is too short to continuously drive the basket when big men are down there. Sorry to say his distribution didn't improve that much as the season progressed. I will agree that he is a freshman and I hope he does improve, for his sake and the team. Also, just because you sat on your couch for 55 years being an armchair coach does not make you an expert on the game.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

. Pray tell Steve Nash where did you play point for all those years, Lakers, Celtics, Eudora High? My knowledge of the game is predicated on being around and listening to people like Larry Brown, Dean Smith and Bill Self, perhaps you have heard of them. Where did you develop you wealth of point guard knowledge? Were Boatright and Napier too small against Kentucky? They both took it in the lane all season for UConn. I don't believe I ever tried to qualify myself as an expert.However one doesn't need to be an expert to know more about point guard play than you do. Lastly please don't waste any more of you time worrying about what I had or didn't have for breakfast, instead use that time to try to learn the game.

Mark Lindrud 4 months ago

Now that I truly am enjoying this, but I have not focused on Mason's size, but his leadership. He is a freshman, which I will agree with and I hope he does improve. If we are possibly bringing in another point guard this year then it is safe to say he doesn't have Self's complete vote of confidence. I will also go with Mason's numbers were 2 assists, 1 turnover, 0-4 shooting, 0-3 from the 3 in 22 minutes in that Stanford game that you seem to be so obsessed with. If you want to call those leadership numbers then go ahead. The fact you are getting so bent out of shape because someone disagrees with you shows that maybe you think you are the only expert here. People disagree, and another coach I strongly follow when it comes to Bob Knight and he said time and time again during games Mason needs to pass more and not look for the drive. I also heard the same things from Jay Bilas, and Digger Phelps.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

I highly respect Jay Bilas's opinion. Shot fake Bobby Knight is senile and what did Digger ever win.? When we were struggling Mason admittedly tried to do too much and this included forcing shots on occasion often because our zone offense was so stagnant we were dead in the water offensively. I also heard Bilas compliment Mason on his ability to get to the paint and his toughness. I thought you focused on his size when you said he was too short to continuously drive the basket when there are big men down there. I realize my opinion is nothing more than an opinion, although I would like to think occasionally a well reasoned one. I will leave it like this; I believe Mason has the strength, quickness, athleticism and toughness to be our starting point guard. To do this he needs to develop a floater and/or a pull up jumper and consistently make good decisions with the ball. The decision making will come with more minutes in game situations. The floater or pull up will provide him with an alternative to forcing it to the rim if he can not drop the ball off to a big. We all want KU to succeed and I lost track of that when I got too confrontational with you and I regret doing that. One can never know too much KU basketball and I will continue to strive to learn more.

o too much KU basketball.

Mark Lindrud 4 months ago

I have often times agreed with you and we have respectfully disagreed. Let's hope he works on what he needs to and he is a tough kid without question. I am just looking for more diversity in his offensive game. I have said this year that if you could put Mason's quickness with Connor's shooting then that is a very scary guard. Let's hope the growth that happens between the freshman and sophomore year happens.

Jonathan Allison 4 months ago

Mark, it's probably not a good idea to argue the game with a person of the last name Allen until after you've ruled out that they could be direct lineage of the Father of Basketball Coaching. Granted, his last name doesn't mean that he knows anything about the game of basketball, but the fact that he's practically got the keys to Allen Field House does mean something.

Mick is lucky enough to be able to watch the Jayhawks practice from time to time, and gracious enough to share with you some of what the coaching staff allows him to see. He's about the closest thing that we have to inside information at KUSports.com

Mark Lindrud 4 months ago

I have no issue with insight, but when a person vehemently attacks me and proceeds to be the knowledge of basketball then I have an issue. We all have opinions in here and we are allowed to agree and disagree. The only knowledge he has exclaimed is that he has watched tv over the years. I have yet to hear that he has inside knowledge that the rest of us have been given. I was trying to be respectful like I typically do, but when I get insulted then respect is no longer a two way street. I do understand what you mean and will back off for now.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

Having been immersed in the game for 55 years has a different meaning than watching it on "t.v. over the years". As Jonathan said my last name does not bestow on me any superior knowledge of the game. It has given me the opportunity to be around those who do know the game and whatever knowledge I possess comes from listening to those that do understand, know and teach the game. Over and out.

Suzi Marshall 4 months ago

Mason did make incredible strides as the season progressed. As the season progressed, Mason did much better with his decisions and demonstrated the ability to make the pass. Early on it drove me crazy how he always tried to score over bigs.

My concern about Mason as the starter are:his

1) J, which we both agree

2) D, he was better than that photo guy and seemed on par, to me, as Frankamp.

3_ Leadership, which is the most important trait. Mason is a quite guy and is reluctant to get on people.

I've often said my choice for PG is Selden, which you incorrectly contributed because I like his size. His size is nice but the primary reasons for Selden are he

1) shows great leadership and competitive fire. He is vocal and gets on guys as needed.

2) is our best perimeter defender,

3) has the handle and passing skills to excel at the job.

My concern about Selden at the point is his consistency. At times, he was a turnover machine.

The additional benefit to Selden playing the point is his size and it opens up the 2 for a more consistent shooter like Oubre or Frankamp. I am very surprise to see that Oubre seems to have the handle and passing ability to play the 2.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

Traylor finished ALL season. You don't shoot 68% for the season if you cant finish. Mason was a one trick pony..lower the head and drive to the hoop..over and over again.

Walter Bridges 4 months, 1 week ago

RussRob was a shooting guard out of NYC who managed to be decent as a PG when needed. He was HCBS's first top 25 recruit at KU.

Ashwin Rao 4 months, 1 week ago

I KNOW that PGs are important to a team (just seeing the Final 4 is enough to support that claim), but we have great folks at the other slots, so as long as the PG does not turn the ball over, feeds the ball to others well, has a 3-ball to keep everyone honest, and can guard the other PG, we should be in good hands. I believe CF is our best bet. He may not be the fastest PG ever (or even in our team!), but having a steady hand is better than the randomness that we have experienced in the last 3 or so years.

Tony Bandle 4 months, 1 week ago

Great point, AR..if you recall, the good to great games Naadir did have, was when he did exactly as you have written i.e. high assist/low to's, occasional three bomb, minimization of defensive self-inflicted damage.

Also, what I saw firsthand in St.Louis was a glimmer of point guard potential in Conner. If he can increase his shooting percentage, that will make his job at the point easier. His steadiness and defensive quickness was really a nice surprise.

Benz Junque 4 months ago

We just need the PG to be average. What we really need is for future NBA players Wayne Selden to play like a future NBA player. That would be the difference in this team getting over the hump.

William Weissbeck 4 months, 1 week ago

Does this mean someone for sure is transferring or that Turner is definitely off the board?

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

No, I think it means that Self is looking for PG help for next year.

Mark Lindrud 4 months, 1 week ago

I think if we get both him and Turner, then I would expect a transfer. This week will be very interesting on the recruiting front. If anything, this should be a wake up call to the current point guards that minutes won't be safe next year, especially if a point guard comes to KU.

Josh Youle 4 months, 1 week ago

That's a safe bet since we don't have the scholarships for both of them.

Tony Bandle 4 months, 1 week ago

Regarding Myles and our chances of landing him..there are three factors that Texas can't match.

1] Playing time..with Jo Jo gone we have a natrual slot for him to step in. He has at least two or three lettered big men to battle at Texas.

2] KU has Bill Self. Texas has Rick Barnes. Frankly, I think Rick got COY award 'cause they were tired of giving it to Bill. Come on..win a tenth consecutive conference title with a whole new starting line-up that included three freshmen??? If it's so easy, how come no one else is doing it??

3] We have Cliff Alexander and Texas doesn't!!

Benz Junque 4 months, 1 week ago

Walter Bridges 4 months, 1 week ago

Turner doesn't need to beat out Alexander or Ellis as he doesn't play the 4. Agree on the McD's game but Turner was clearly better at the Nike game. I didn't realize he had 3 point range.

ESPN moved him up to the #2 overall so I don't get the negativity.

Aaron Paisley 4 months, 1 week ago

Bill Self will start the two best post players regardless if they are a 4 or a 5. Ellis and Alexander are likely to be the starting front court with Turner (if he comes) and Traylor coming off the bench.

Walter Bridges 4 months, 1 week ago

I think getting the most minutes trumps starting. Ellis doesn't play nearly as well in the 2nd half as he does in the first. Hopefully another off season of hard work will overcome that.

If not, I don't see Ellis losing his starting position but Alexander will be on the court come crunch time.

Benz Junque 4 months, 1 week ago

I don't worry about what numbers (4 vs 5) you assign to a player. Self doesn't either. KU plays bigs and guards. There will be times when it would be Ellis & Alexander, Ellis & Turner, Alexander & Turner and then add in prominent minutes for Traylor and some additional minutes for Lucas and Mickelson. Turner has less competition for minutes at Texas than at Kansas. That's all I am saying.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

Curious as to why your comment was deleted..thought it was straight forward and without any questionable comments...

And I agree with the above but I want a kid willing to earn his minutes.

Jack Wilson 4 months, 1 week ago

Benz: Whether Turner is OAD material or not, it's just whether he'd get drafted in the top 10. And that's the projection. But he doesn't appear near ready as you mentioned.

A question though -- who is better for 2014-15, the tandem of Cameron Ridley and Johnathan Holmes, or Alexander and Ellis?

Holmes a senior. Ridley a load. Ellis couldn't guard either one of them. Both rebounded the ball better than Ellis.

If I could have the choice any player for next season in Self's system, Ridley, Alexander, Turner, Ellis, or Holmes, I'd take Ridley.

Walter Bridges 4 months, 1 week ago

Turner appears far more ready than JoJo did this time last year. I remember everyone calling him a 'project', now he is a top lottery pick. KU with JoJo was a different team than KU without despite some inspired play from Black.

If Turner comes to KU, he will have an immediate impact and will be starting long before conference play starts at the 5.

Benz Junque 4 months, 1 week ago

The problem with that is that Alexander is already better than Black and that's primarily who Turner will have to beat out for minutes.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

I get we disagree on this and we both seem to be pretty stubborn at times so IF Turner signs, lets just see what happens.

Benz Junque 4 months ago

I am not trying to say that Turner isn't coming to Kansas. I do believe that Kansas is the leader at this point in the race. I just think that Texas offers a little less competition for minutes than Kansas, expecially since Turner has been on the bench watching Alexander outplay him at several HS events recently. Sure, I do see some moments where Big Cliff andTurner are out there together but Ellis isn't going to sit for tons of minutes this year. There are just a ton of guys that will get Bigs minutes this year.

I hope we do land Turner but I wouldn't mind another PG recruit to push for minutes. That is by far our biggest weakness once again next year. I have serious reservations about whether or not Tharpe can be even consistently mediocre, which is all we even really need him to be.

Mark Lindrud 4 months ago

Assuming Ellis won't lose his starting job and Turner is the 5 then Alexander is the first guy coming off the bench to get minutes. Along with Traylor, our bench of big men looks really good, which will give Lucas time to develop his game more and play spot minutes. Having this much quality depth is not a bad problem to have. If we get can our PG play figured out, which with an offseason for both Mason and Conner, we will be more experienced and deep because this still includes Selden, Oubre, AW, Brannen and hopefully Tharpe figures it out for his senior year.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

When it comes to our PG position, I think we are pretty much in complete agreement. Tharpe was recruited to be a solid back-up for 10-15 mpg imo but we didn't land any top PGs and this year the lack of any consistent play at the PG position killed us.

I'll remember this season for seeing the ball bounce off Tharpe's head as JoJo was bringing the ball up court.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

If Turner was going to Texas I think he would have committed already, why wait? I believe he is waiting till he is done playing this season and make his announcement for KU. It is not just playing time, it's exposure, coaching, and a chance at some titles. Rick Barnes has a knack of taking very good talent and failing to finish strong.

Aaron Paisley 4 months, 1 week ago

If this kid comes, he likely redshirts so he's two years behind Mason and Frankamp and because the depth chart will likely mean that he doesn't have a spot in the rotation right away.

Walter Bridges 4 months, 1 week ago

Then why give a scholarly to an unranked player who wont play until 2015/16?

Brandon Mahon 4 months, 1 week ago

You need to build for the future unlike we did two years ago... We ran so thin at the Guard position... We only had EJ, Ben, Tharpe, Releford and AW3 and Anario Adams. If we would have had it our way we would have wish to have another guard in that situation then we get stuck in a situation like this year where we have an unproven PG with 2 freshman backing him up

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

An unranked player who originally signed at Appalachian State is NOT what we need. Mason and Frankamp still have 3 years of eligibility left so why the rush to 'rebuild for the future'?

This seems more out of desperation... Anrio Adams Part ll.

Sorry if I think this is a waste of a scholarship. I would wait and see if someone better transfers or let Self perform his magic in the Class of 2015.

Anrio Adams Odessa Texass

Anrio Adams Odessa Texass by Walter_Bridges

Rio in KU red.

Benz Junque 4 months ago

DeAndre Kane was unranked coming out of high school. He looked pretty good last year for Iowa State.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

Every coaches dream...finding the diamond in the rough. Kane is a muscular 6'4 and had already graduated from Marshall. Iowa St only risked a one year scholarship so the upside far outweighed the downside.

HCBS has had better success w/bigs than with PGs. Would love to see it happen but..

RE: Doyle, Adams, Woodridge

Aaron Paisley 4 months ago

Depth, the 2015 PG class is very weak. Frank Mason originally signed with Towson out of HS so why is it a big deal that this kid who is projected to be in the final Rivals 150 initially committed to Appalachian St.?

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

Last year, Mason jumped into the 70's. Frankamp went to #34.

ESPN's final rankings didn't mention Graham. Who was the last unranked or even 3 star player to make an imp;act at KU? Graham will never see anything but clean-up minutes.

Aaron Paisley 4 months ago

Morningstar and Reed, and considering Self's struggles to bring in a top level PG, I wouldn't bet against this kid playing major minutes down the road after a couple of seasons.

Suzi Marshall 4 months ago

Self is looking for a PG that can come in to compete for the starting job.

Bossi says D'Tae will end up a 4 star and ranked somewhere in the top 150. If Kansas signs this kid, I bet he shoots up to the 70s.

Because of he post graduate status he is not eligible for the ESPN top 100 rankings.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

Good point on the post grad status Suzi and same for the Morningstar/Reed reference Aaron.

I still don't think this guy is the answer but this kid is drawing a lot of attention lately.

Miguel Colón 4 months, 1 week ago

Say we get both this kid and Turner, who is out? Is it AWIII or does Tharpe see the writing on the wall?

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

Tharpe is going nowhere. It's his Sr. year at KU and he will at least start the season as the starting PG. This past season was only his first as the starting PG so maybe w/that experience and a good off season maybe he can do a decent job.

Bernard Gregory 4 months, 1 week ago

I like to suggest to those that are critical of Frank is that a lot of those times when he forced the issue is because everybody else was stagnant and the kid is a winner and will do everthing he can to try and win. For those that don't know his main job is to get to the paint and at the end of the year the guys realized that if they went with him to the paint then there was opportunities for to get easy baskets instead of watching him have to take difficult shots and by the way if you were watching a lot of times he actually did get fouled by with no star power those fouls won't called as oppose to like the Harrison twins who just had to get bumped a little bit and they were at the foul line. Most of you started out last year with the same kind of talk about Frank and he more than exceeded the expectations because it was the same folks that had him redshirted or transferring this time of year last year. Be ready to be proven wrong again, but I know for some of ya'll he could be the Big 12 player of the year and you will still find fault in him.

Benz Junque 4 months ago

We understand that Mason was told to charge to the rim so that's what he did. The problem people have with him is that he did it blindly without any thought as to the outcome. At what point do you expect a player to have the basketball savvy to understand when a drive to the rim against ridiculous numbers is almost guaranteed to be a turnover and that a turnover is NOT what the coach wanted as a result? Mason didn't stop banging his head against that brick wall until it was too late. He needs to learn a floater. He mids a pull up jumper. He needs better passing skills. He needs to be three inches taller. Some of these things are fixable; one is not.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

Were Napier and Boatright tall enough Benz? You and several others place way too much emphasis on the point guard 's height. Did you watch Calipari's 5'9" point guard in the MacDonald's game? Irregardless of whether he can coach it or not, do you think Calipari can recognize talent? Also do you give a player more than his freshman year to develop the "basketball savvy" you seem to expect to be a birthright? I will acknowledge that a floater and pull up jumper would give him an option to going head strong to the rack.

Benz Junque 4 months ago

I hope Mason proves me wrong. He looks like a capable backup so far, that's it. He's got a long way to go to be a good player.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

Great postBernard and I agree with you wholeheartedly. As you stated a point guard has to be able to get to the paint to create. Please read my response to Mark Lindrud posted on 4-15-4, which was his response to me for saying I thought Frank had the athletic ability and toughness to be a Napier like point guard. Also as you stated the interior players have to go with him when he gets in the lane to give him an option to drop it off instead of having to force a tough shot. The critics are generally the same ones who had him transferring or taking a red shirt year this year. He is a tough kid who is not afraid to try to make a play when needed. I have been his staunches defender all year. Nice to have someone who sees the potential in the kid that I do.

Benz Junque 4 months ago

We don't need him to be tough enough to make a play. We need him to be smart enough to make the RIGHT play. Mason made a ton of plays last year; the problem was that many of them were negative plays as he charged with toughness into a pile of defenders with nowhere to go and turned the ball over.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

We need him to be tough enough to have the stones to initiate a play hat with experience will be a smart play.

Rodney Crain 4 months ago

Be careful Benz this is the "famous" Mick Allen you are disagreeing with...

If Mason was the answer for next year I do not think Self would be chasing a PG right now. He is though, so he must believe he needs help there. Everyone keeps pointing to the Stanford game like it was Mason's breakout moment, keep in mind Stanford was playing without a PG and had length at every position. Mason needs a lot of work before I would think he is the PG for our team.

Mark Lindrud 4 months ago

According to the stat line of the Stanford game I still don't see why people say it was a breakout game. If you say that in 22 minutes he got 0 points, 2 assists, 1 turnover as a break out game then I want to know what the definition of breakout game is. All this happened against a team with no real PG? Not sure how people can call this progress. He better spend the next 6 months living in the gym and working on his game because he has a lot of work to do.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

Thanks Rodney. Your opinion is always highly valued. How relevant is the fact that Stanford had length at every position as it effects Mason's play?

Rodney Crain 4 months ago

Well Mick as anyone who knows as much as you know, I would venture you already know the answer to that. I will try to help you out, Mason has the ability to move fast through a defense, especially one that is playing long like Stanford. So of course he had success driving the ball. His is issue is he does not have a plan till its too late on what he is going to do with the ball. Stanford was slow to help and when they did they left guys open for those short shots we missed. Typically teams were not slow to help and Mason would end up in no mans land with no where to go with the ball. Add to that his weak outside shot and you have Self on the road hunting down a PG that can come in next year and play. Mason might be something in his Junior year but he is a backup next year.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

'everybody else stagnant'. Isn't part of the PG's job to get the rest of the players into the game? Maybe they knew what was coming.

Big 12 player of the year? Not happening.

Proven wrong again? He ended up as the 3rd option of 3 average at best PGs Exactly what I expected. Bet I'm not alone.

Mick Allen 4 months ago

"Big 12 player of the year". What the hell is that in reference to?

Benz Junque 4 months ago

So does Self tell Turner to hold off on his decision until after Graham visits? Turner has stated he'll sit down after this Friday's Jordan Brand Classic to make his decision. Would Self tell Turner that he'd rather have Graham at this point? Does Turner take the stall as an affront and go ahead and go to Texas? I have this sinking pit in my stomach that we could lose out on both of these guys as NC State probably has more PG time available now than Kansas unless Self genuinely believes that Graham has the game to unseat Tharpe. No reason to bring a guy to be the #4 PG.

Jonathan Allison 4 months ago

I highly doubt that Self would make Turner's offer conditional to Graham. Despite the apparent need for a PG, Self always goes after the highest rated players preferentially.

Right now, I would say that Graham is most likely conditional based on 1.) Turner commits elsewhere or 2.) a transfer is announced and a scholarship is made available.

Sam Constance 4 months ago

Honestly. WHO CARES if we miss out on Graham?

I'm just stunned at all of the love for an unraked pg that committed to Appalachain St. and whose list of suitors now has Kansas and a bunch of rummies (NC State, Virginia, Va Tech, Xavier, Providence).

Jonathan Allison 4 months ago

I understand Self recruiting for a Juco or a Div1 PG who could be immediately eligible to play. I also understand Self looking for quality PG recruits who may have been released from their LOIs. I don't think that Self should try to take a low or unranked late signee at PG just simply for PG depth. I think that at some point if Self does not find his "diamond in the rough" then he needs to just prepare for next year with the players that he does have in his backcourt and start recruiting from the top ranked PGs in the class of 2015.

I know that there may bee a hidden gem out there somewhere, but to me it's not worth bringing in a kid who will sit on the bench for a year and then transfer out or who will come in and not be ready to play till he's a senior and not be as good as a player who we could have brought in from next year's senior class.

Walter Bridges 4 months ago

Talk about change...Three years ago, he was a skinny 6-foot-2 freshman about to experience a massive 4-inch growth spurt. One year ago, he was barely even in the top 100 of most national recruiting rankings. His father, David, who works in customer service at the Dallas/Fort Worth International airport, envisioned that his son could be a great player. But this was not on the radar.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/01/4930416/top-uncommitted-prep-player-coolly.html#storylink=cpy

Jonathan Allison 4 months ago

the more I hear about Myles Turner, the more I like him. He's definitely not a finished product, and the good thing is that he knows it. He seems to be very smart and very comfortable taking an interview. If he does come to KU he'll be a fan favorite partly because he'll always give a good interview for the LJW writers.