Monday, September 23, 2013

KU defensive lineman Marquel Combs to transfer

KU defensive tackle Marquel Combs runs through a pass-rush drill during preseason practice.

Kansas University junior defensive lineman Marquel Combs has asked for and been granted a release to transfer to schools outside of the Big 12, KU coach Charlie Weis announced Monday.

“Marquel was a great factor in our recruitment of last year’s signing class,” Weis said. “We would like to wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Combs, a native of Memphis, Tenn., came to Kansas from Pierce College. He did not see any game action during his time at KU.

“I appreciate the Jayhawk community, as well as my teammates and the staff, for all of the support I have received during my time with the program," Combs said. "It has been an incredible opportunity and I wish them the best of luck the rest of this season and in the future.”

Combs was part of the offseason excitement as the Jayhawks piled up juco transfers. The top signing in KU's class, Combs was the No. 1 junior-college recruit in the class of 2013 according to ESPN.com.

Comments

Randy Bombardier 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Hmm. These things happen but some of you posters, many of which have handles I 've never seen before, make more of this than there is. Also, why berate, belittle or wish him ill will? As far as we know he has done nothing but good for KU. Too much speculation. I am glad that he added to the competitive mix and also glad to have many of the other JUCO players. Don't understand that slam at all unless its some fan of an opponent who lost out on several of these guys. I smell a tigger or a cat. Best of luck, Marquel. Hope you reconsider. Take the criticism from coaches as people who just want to make you better. Don't retreat from hard things.

Ralster Jayhawk 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Good luck to ya, Marquel. Wish you could have been a star for KU, though...we all wanted that. I also hope Marquel knows that every dream takes hard work. Do work, bebe!

Mike Barnhart 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Conspiracies aside he's probably just ... not.... good enough (PERIOD)

NebraskaJayhawk 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Inquiring minds want to know more... Until more comes out on this it's all speculation. Too bad it didn't work out. Pretty dumb to transfer and only get to play one season though.

namohcan_99 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Sounds like an attitude problem. I wish the guy the best. I really wanted to believe he had the strength to help do something special here. Now it sounds like he realized it was hard work and regrets signing up. It is probably best that he's gone, but I am disappointed he didn't show more leadership/ownership. We'll get there. We are getting there now.

kureader 6 months, 3 weeks ago

This kid leaves at the beginning of a season and in the middle of a college semester (though I guess no one said he was leaving the university immediately ... maybe he'll finish the academic semester). So, is there an advantage to leaving now? Does he sit out for a year beginning now, or beginning at the end of the season? I thought it was from season's end ... and, if so, I wonder why he would bail out at this point in the year.

Terry Lee 6 months, 3 weeks ago

MJM Tweet: I ain't goin nowhere so some of yal ppl can stop callin me another mans puppet! Get it str8 lames”

Terran Woolley 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Yeah.....can't crack depth chart at KU in perennially weak Big XII gonna light em up in the sec! You must be a Missouri fan.

jpsoldier24 6 months, 3 weeks ago

U guys are crazy if u don't think combs is talented he will thrive at ole miss under Hugh freeze watch the kid wanted to play in the SEC from day 1 and that's what he is gonna do

jayhawkintx1973 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Chris Martin and Marquel Combs are missing out on opportunities. It doesn't matter where you go, you're going to have to work, but there is an issue with the City College of San Francisco in that they lost their accreditation so this could be an issue with the NCAA. However, it shouldn't be but you know how the NCAA is. If it was accredited and they received the grades they needed, the NCAA shouldn't make this an issue with Kansas.

Remember, they screwed McKay while other players at OU and Texas were granted waivers. It's $$$$$. Well, if these things are right, and I am speculating, then kudos to Weis for maintaining integrity. Of course, I'm not speculating about the City College of San Francisco losing its accreditation, but that it might have an impact on some of these guys.

I'm okay with KU releasing him, because if he was close to getting on the field, KU wouldn't have done that. There has to be something unrelated to athletics here.

jayhawkintx1973 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I have this gut feeling that the reason he wasn't playing was his grades, and he may not have been going to class. If KU knows this and he transfers and get's on the field immediately, then there is some shenanigans going on where he transfers to.

He thought he could just walk in and be given a pass. Shame. That is why he couldn't play D1 right out of high school. I'd rather not have a guy like that on the team.

Terran Woolley 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I wish hm luck, and hope he can wash the sand out of his vagina and learn how to work hard for something. It will reward him far beyond his brief years of playing football.

Marvin Blackburn 6 months, 3 weeks ago

A rat (fink) jumping a sinking ship.

bigtex 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Never had much faith in recruiting services with their star rankings. There are a lot of players in markets that don't get the hype, but can definitely can play ball.

tophawk87 6 months, 3 weeks ago

JUCO players are like cheap houses, they always come with problems....

Jason Keller 6 months, 3 weeks ago

After sleeping on it, I came to this conclusion. Combs did what we needed him to for this program. His high profile status pushed the likes of Keba, Keon and others to work their tails off over the off-season and you can really see improvement in our defense.

Adam McEwen 6 months, 3 weeks ago

They can have him. Our guys have to buy in 100% for this to work out, if that's where he wants to be then good for him, but if he can't start at KU he's going to get his ass whooped in the SEC for sure..

Doug Cramer 6 months, 3 weeks ago

JayHawkFanToo - Has nothing to do with him feeling like he can't compete at this level. It could be announced that he's going to Ol Miss. Just retweeted "come on home Big M. Rebelnation !!! "

Adam McEwen 6 months, 3 weeks ago

what's so strange is that he was so hot on KU, with the whole "dream team" and everything. My guess is he's upset about not starting, but doesn't have the fortitude to sack up. No big loss, and if MJM and Short follow him then they aren't the kind of players we need anyways. We need Ben Heeneys. I'll take blue collar guys any day.

JayHawkFanToo 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Come on people, let's face when players perceived to be talented end up playing at JUCO, the majority do it for one of the following reasons:

Grades

Off-field issues

Poor work ethic

Poor attitude

Overrated in the first place

There are over 250 Div1-A and Div1-AA programs and if they did not make one of these teams the first time around, the odds that they will excel the second time around are very small.

Occasionally you get a gem (Pardula) but more often than not, what you get, even with top rated JUCO players, is the equivalent of a 2 or 3 star HS player, with a little more physical maturity and experience playing at a level just above that of High School.

I will guess that Combs found out that he went from being the big fish in the small pond to being the small fish in the big pond, and that all the other players were equally or more talented than he was and he could not dominate like he did in JUCO.

If he could not make it at KU, chances are that there will not be many big programs interested, and he will likely end playing for an NAIA program...maybe he can play for Coach Gill at Liberty.

FUJHWK 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Combs is a loud mouth, over-hyped blowhard. If he can't play at KU where can he play?

bluefirebird 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I wouldn't let him to to Missou either, unless he is really aweful

Doug Cramer 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I may be reading too much into this...but Marcus Jenkins Moore just tweeted "thinkin".

Andy Tweedy 6 months, 3 weeks ago

JUCO recruiting sucks!!! How the hell does Snyder make this work???

W Keith Swinehart II 6 months, 3 weeks ago

He didn't play for a reason. Move on.

cjp22152 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Anyone who thinks this kid is gonna go play at a quality program is crazy. Remember the whole "If you can't play here where can you play?" recruiting pitch? There is definitely something funny going on here. If he was as good or close to as good as the hype there's no way he wouldn't start here. I wonder if maybe he's not going to class/having trouble in class or something.

DanR 6 months, 3 weeks ago

And, this will be the last anyone hears of... whatever his name is.

vd 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Reminds me of the No. 1 Juco RB we had a while back. Hard to believe how bad these recruiting rankings are.

Janet Scott 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Heard he is heading to Washburn or Baker, to warm the bench.

iamakufan 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Best of luck to Marquel Combs. I sure hate to see him go. I think he would eventually be a big cog in the defense. Really sad to see him go but I wish him luck, anyhow.

jayhawkinATL 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Just reminds me of Weis' earlier quote, "If you can't play here, where CAN you play?"

nwhawk 6 months, 3 weeks ago

"We just coming in, trying to put KU back where it should be,” Combs said during fall camp. “Like that Orange Bowl feeling. We want to be the reason why this program came from here all the way to the top. And I think it’s the perfect year to do it.” (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/23/4503409/former-top-juco-football-recruit.html)

"When the going gets tough, the Combs gets gone."

David Leathers 6 months, 3 weeks ago

He's hoping that Ole Miss is still a possibility. For him, I hope it becomes reality. Nothing negative should be said about a kid who changes his mind. He came to Kansas hoping to play immediately, and once he realized it wasn't going to happen this year, he decided to transfer to a school that might get some wins in his two years.

Marquel Combs will continue to effect our team for the next couple of years. Just think about all those D-lineman who weren't about to let a JUCO all-star take their spots. All they did was bust their butts just to make sure it didn't happen, and it would seem that it has helped on the defensive front, so far anyhow.

Pbbut 6 months, 3 weeks ago

When I look at that offer list, the only question I have is "How did he end up at KU?" There is something we're missing here, because everyone thought he was a ballplayer.

Edward Coan 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I hope Weis realizes that the JUCO route doesn't work that well. You get a lot of marginal academic qualifiers and players with off the field issues. (Just look at Chris Martin). I trust what Weis is doing with Combs is right, because he better win.

Mark Lindrud 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I bet he ends up at a D2 type school. I get the feeling he realized he may not be D1 material. Yes i still use the terms D1 and D2 because it makes more sense lol. Numerous juco players have panned out for us and have improved certain areas of this team. I am not saying we need another big juco recruiting class, but Weis is bringing in talent. Since a lot of guys will be back this years class needs to be big on high school recruits so they can have a year to develop. I'm certain a few juco players will come in to strengthen potential weak spots.

Phogdoggy 6 months, 3 weeks ago

The #1 JUCO recruit---BUST. QB Crist---BUST. QB Heaps---not sure yet, but certainly does not fulfill expectations of a 5 STAR QB. Yes, i kow we don't have the greatest receivers.

Season ticket holder since 1984. I've seen many more losses than wins. I travel to at least 2 away games per year. I try to stay positive. There have been signs that KU football FINALLY turned the corner--most recently 2007 and 2008. I seriously thought after the Orange Bowl win that we would not have to endure 1 and 2 win seasons. I foolishly thought those days were long gone---I WAS WRONG. Magino's 2nd year---things looked much better---beat the Misery Tiggers early in the season.

I'm just not feeling it----------trying to stay positive------maybe it's because I am an old fart and am having trouble seeing the glass half full. I know it is only HCCW's 2nd year----having trouble seeing the gains. Certainly hope I am wrong and that the Hawks surprise me.

Keith Hummel 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Despite my disappointment with this news I still think Combs had a huge impact on the program in terms of recruiting. He was tireless in his enthusiasm for KU Football, and was directly responsible for several of these guys coming here. It's just unfortunate for all concerned that he can't play a part in the team he helped to assemble. I'm not going to jump to conclusions about why he's transferring. In fact, I'm assuming his desire was still to be a part of this team, but something out of his control made that impossible. I wish him well.

Janet Scott 6 months, 3 weeks ago

And so Combs joins Slater, both lost in Omaha, thinking they're in San Francisco, and still looking for the Golden Gate Bridge.

KU football is a better circus entertainment venue than the Barnum and Bailey Big Top. I attended the Barnum and Bailey circus this past April with my wife and granddaughter, but now realize I would have gotten better circus value if I had waited and attended a KU football game in Lawrence this fall.

Boouk 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Hopefully Marcus Jenkins-Moore doesn't leave with him.

Lloyd Kinnison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I have watched this player at TT and BU. His departure will be no loss.

Chris Gilbertson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

He's going to have to sit out next year right? So I really don't see what he's gaining by transferring, he's actually losing another year of playing time right? However if I'm completely wrong on this and he doesn't sit out next year, he's still not gaining anything, cause he's sitting out this year. I guess I just think there is something more to the story, and it would be nice to know what it is.

HighQ 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Recruit: forget "pile

of crap." You come here, nothing

is given to you.

Boouk 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Considering he couldn't beat out Jordan Tavai and Ty McKinney for playing time this season, this isn't a big loss or crushing blow. It is, however, disappointing.

Matthew Krische 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I think my lesson here is there are never absolutes about KU football, just grains of salt. Combs is so hyped, now he's gone. Crist was so hyped, no comment. This guy's great, this guy's great. Eh. What is encouraging is the players in the system seem to have improved, especially along the D front and D overall. That's encouraging that they are being coached up, at least in the weight room. If anything Weis plays the best player and sticks to his guns. Good for him and good for the players who work hard to be the best.

HighQ 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Hyped recruiting class?

One can add up in three words:

Kicker and Punter.

Doug Cramer 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Figured something was up when he didn't play in the North Dakota game. His tweets suggested that he wasn't at peace...or maybe somewhat disturbed is a good way of putting it.

We can't catch a break with the D-line position. We have got to get some stud recruits in here that can play in the trenches...otherwise this program goes no where. This is so disappointing to here about.

C'mon coaching staff...let's get some reliable recruits that can play in the trenches.

Keith Hummel 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, that stinks! Can't imagine how this could be related to anything other than his unhappiness with lack of playing time. But if he's unhappy then he needs to move on.

Unfortunately, I am now concerned about the residual effect of his decision on other players. If he had that much influence in getting these guys to go to KU, wouldn't he also have a lot of influence on them leaving? I won't be entirely surprised, for example, if we soon learn that Jenkins-Moore and Short are transferring. I hope I'm wrong, but it's just human nature for his unhappiness to poison the attitudes of some of his buddies.

I guess the Dream Team was actually just a dream.

Andy Hess 6 months, 3 weeks ago

if he can't get playing time for US, where CAN he get playing time?

lv_jhwk 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Wow. Talk about something that came from the parking lot beyond the bleachers behind left field.

This puts a crimp in the plan to shore up the numbers for two years from now. We'll be fine still next year, but not having Combs here in '15 will hurt merely from the standpoint of having so many seniors in '14.

So the next question is will Jenkins-Moore be here next year, being that he and Combs are so tight? And if Combs was so instrumental in getting guys here, will there be others to leave?

Fortesque Beagleton 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Believe me, I'm never one to want and hold somebody back, and if the grass really is greener, well then "Best of luck, buddy." Methinks however there's something more to this. Perhaps not fishy, but there are things here that aren't quite adding up. I wish Weis would come out and make a crystal clear statement about these things. It leaves too much to the rumor mill otherwise and doesn't bode well for Jayhawk Nation.

stevemize 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Did the KU coaching staff discover something that could effect possible eligibiity down the road?

BPSkelly 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Overhyped? Or dispute with Coaches about PT? My guess is we'll never know for sure.