Originally published November 15, 2013 at 03:17p.m., updated November 16, 2013 at 12:15a.m.

No. 4 recruit Cliff Alexander picks Kansas basketball

Chicago power forward compared by some to Thomas Robinson

Kansas recruit Cliff Alexander watches from behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog, Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Kansas recruit Cliff Alexander, second from right, hangs out with members of the Kansas men's team Sunday afternoon at the Kansas women's season opening basketball game against Oral Roberts. Alexander's girlfriend plays for the women's team.

Chicago Curie High School basketball power forward Cliff Alexander says he has been under a lot of self-imposed pressure of late, trying to choose between Kansas University, Illinois, DePaul and Memphis.

“I’d been confused for the last week. One minute I want to go here. One minute I want to go there,” Alexander, the country’s No. 4-rated player in the recruiting Class of 2014, said Friday after announcing for KU in a controversial commitment ceremony that included hats as props, televised on ESPNU.

“We finally came to the conclusion last night I want to go to Kansas,” the 6-foot-8, 240-pound Alexander added, referring to family members and coaches.

Alexander, who averaged 21.3 points and 13.0 boards his junior season, acted undecided right up until the second he told classmates in a packed Curie High auditorium he was headed to KU.

Seated at a table with hats of his four finalists in front of him, he first grabbed a University of Illinois cap.

He then dropped the Illini hat back on the table and placed a KU cap upon his head, signifying the Jayhawks as his college choice. The hat flap caused an immediate uproar on Twitter — Illini fans expressing their displeasure at Alexander for faking them out.

“It was something my teammates thought I should do, so I did it,” Alexander said of the hat switcheroo.

He said the deciding factor in choosing KU over runner-up choice Illinois was KU coach Bill Self’s “developing his players, getting his players to the league.”

The league, of course, is the NBA, where Alexander wants to play in 2015-16.

“One and done then come back and get my degree,” Alexander said of his future plans.

Curiously, he did not sign a letter of intent Friday. The early, weeklong signing period runs through Wednesday.

“I talked to my parents and coaches. They said it was best if I do not sign today. I’d like to see how I feel to be verbally committed and not sign yet,” Alexander said. “I wanted to get a chance to get a feel of the commitment.”

Pressed about the matter by a horde of media members, Alexander said, “probably January, I’m not sure when,” when asked when he’d sign.

Asked if that means he still could attend Illinois, he smiled and said, “No, Kansas. Really, I’m set. I want to go to Kansas.”

KU coach Self cannot comment about Alexander’s commitment until KU receives the letter of intent via email or fax.

Alexander, who turns 18 today, said his KU commitment is “a great (birthday) present, a great present.

“Coach Self is a great guy. I thought Bill Self could develop me and get me where I want to be. We have that type (of) relationship,” Alexander noted.

“I want to get where I want to be (NBA) fast. I didn’t want to have time to waste. He has a lot of titles under his belt, a lot of pros. It’s why I wanted to go to the University of Kansas.”

Also ... “I decided I didn’t want to stay home. I just wanted to get away. I’ve been living here 17 years. I wanted to experience something new.”

Alexander, whose girlfriend attends Kansas, acknowledged that he likely would not have chosen KU had Chicago Whitney Young High big man Jahlil Okafor chosen KU on Friday.

Okafor and Minnesota point guard Tyus Jones selected Duke over runner-up KU on the same signing show on ESPNU.

“I’d probably have gone to Illinois,” Alexander said, adding that he has nothing against Okafor and in fact likes him a lot.

“He’s like another brother to me. We have a great relationship,” Alexander said.

Alexander said he actually would like to be reunited with another buddy in Lawrence. JaQuan Lyle, who decommitted from Louisville, is considering UConn, Memphis, Louisville and others.

“He’s gonna be a Jayhawk,” Alexander said, with a smile, of the player who has yet to be recruited by KU.

KU has signed Kelly Oubre, 6-7 shooting guard, from Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nevada. Alexander’s commitment fills KU’s current allotment of two available scholarships — those of senior Tarik Black and certain one-and-done Andrew Wiggins. KU could also lose Wayne Selden, Joel Embiid and/or Perry Ellis to the NBA, and there’s always the possibility of transfers.

For now, “I’m very relieved,” Alexander said. “This can stop the phone calls. I can concentrate on school and basketball now. When I get to (KU), I’ll play my role and get where I want to be, win a national championship.”

Howard key recruiter: Alexander said KU assistant Jerrance Howard, a former Illinois player, did a great job recruiting him.

“He played a big role ever since he stepped foot on campus at Kansas. We’ve been talking. We built a great relationship. He was one of the guys to offer me when he was at Illinois (as assistant),” Alexander said.

More on Okafor, Jones: Duke landed the country’s No. 1- and 5-rated players, according to Rivals.com, in Okafor and Jones.

They were true to their word of being a package deal.

“We just wanted the best opportunity to win,” Okafor said.

ESPN.com says Okafor and Jones are “the most notable package deal in college basketball since Greg Oden and Mike Conley committed to Ohio State in the 2006 class, but it’s unprecedented in that they never have played together on either the high school or AAU level. Instead, their joint playing experiences have come primarily with USA Basketball, beginning in October 2010 and continuing with subsequent selections in each of the next two summers to national teams that won gold medals while traveling to Mexico and Lithuania.”

More signings: SMU coach Larry Brown landed No. 2-ranked Emmanuel Mudiay, 6-5 point guard from Prime Prep Academy in Dallas. ... No. 3 Stanley Johnson, 6-6 small forward from Mater Dei in Santa Ana, Calif., chose Arizona.

GIF

Cliff Alexander "hat trick" favors Kansas

Chicago basketball star Cliff Alexander picks Kansas over Illinois.

Comments

Cameron Cederlind 9 months, 2 weeks ago

We won a hat ceremony. The end of the world is coming. WELCOME TO KANSAS CLIFF

Rodney Crain 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Amazing won a hat ceremony lol. Then E*** has Johnny Cal on... Cliff and Kelly, nice! Rock Chalk

Josh Helmer 9 months, 2 weeks ago

His tape does draw comparisons to TRob. Great news to welcome Cliff. Tyus Jones would have been nice, but KU should be fine w/ Mason going forward.

Damian Glaze 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I guarntee you Mason is and will be better than Jones for as long as Mason is still in school. Mason is legit and will only get stronger and better.

Clarence Haynes 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Yeah! All too often, we focus on what's coming in as opposed to what we already have. I hope that Mason is around for another two years and with the likes of Frankamp developing at the point, we can then focus on other needs. Given the depth on our roster and factoring in ones and done, I'd love to play Duke next year!

Benz Junque 9 months, 2 weeks ago

That's a guarantee you would lose.

Craig Kristi Alexander 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I like the sound of Alexander for the jam!!

Welcome to Kansas!

RJ King 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I like the sound of "Cliff Hanger" after the jam.

Josh Helmer 9 months, 2 weeks ago

On a side note, the Bill Self Chicago pipeline rolls on. Cliff had my heart dropping when he initially reached for the Illinois hat.

Waylon Cook 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Welcome Cliff! I bet Illini fans are really throwing darts at Self tonight!:)

Red Demon 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Haha, there were a lot of angry Illini fans over on ESPN.

Jack Wilson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

He is comparable to a developed TRob, I would hope. Not the freshman version.

If Okafer and Jones had to go as a pair, this is perfect.

1. Tharpe/Mason

2. Greene/White

3. Oubre/White

4. Ellis/Traylor

4a. Alexander/Traylor

Ladies and gentlemen, your 8 man 2014-15 rotation.

Ron Prichard 9 months, 2 weeks ago

So you are completely leaving Frankamp and Mickelson out of the rotation? I'm not ready to dismiss Mickelson just because I haven't seen him play. Based on my limited knowledge, I would probably agree that he was a safety net signing, so I understand your thoughts there, but I would still want to see him play before making that determination. However, I do think Frankamp is going to be a significant contributor before all is said and done. Whether that is this year, next year, or after still remains to be seen.

Jonny Swift 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Agree with Ron here. Especially with Jones not picking KU and us not picking up any other true guards, Frankamp will still see spot minutes and point and a few at SG when Self wants to play small. I'm sure he'll be able to get his shot off better and quicker next year too with some more experience. I also think White starts over Greene, and Greene possibly might start over Oubre (depending on off-season development, how college ready Kelly is, etc.).

I also see Mickelson getting some minutes in the rotation behind Alexander at the 5 (assuming Embiid leaves, I see Alexander and Perry playing in the post together as well, with Alexander slightly out of position as a more natural 4). Mickelson was a top 10 recruit coming out of HS and I'm sure he will improve a ton in his redshirt season with us, and also put on some muscle weight. Either he or Lucas will back up the 5, and I have a feeling it will be him since he has 2 years of college playing experience and another redshirt year under his belt. Gotta feel bad for Lucas, but he will still have 2 years of eligibility left after next.

Jonny Swift 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Here's an interesting conundrum....what if Embiid wants to stay another year to develop his game and be a sure fire top-5 pick? You know he'd be starting at C next year. Could Perry make a switch to the 3 to allow all 3 to play together?

1. Tharpe/Mason/Frankamp
  2. White/Greene/Frankamp
  3. Perry/Oubre/Greene
  4. Alexander/Traylor
  5. Embiid/Mickelson/Lucas

That front line of Perry, Alexander and Joel would be oh so scary. After watching the Duke game the other night, I think he can do it. He has really good handles for a big guy, drove the length of the court at time, and has a nice stroke from the outside, even hitting a 3.

Kevin Huffman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Even in his limited time out tehre against Duke, White STILL looks slow. I think Oubre would likely start at SG in that scenario. Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point Mason passes Tharpe so that

Mason Oubre Ellis Alexander Embiid????

Kevin Huffman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Mickelson was 100th coming out of H.S......not TOp 10!!!!

Jonny Swift 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Ah my bad. He was top 10 at his position...No. 8 ranked PF in the class of 2011

Kevin Huffman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't think Traylor's going to see any time as a backup "5". Lucas or Mickelson will be battling it out for that position OR we actually land Turner if Self's able to convince him that between him, Ellis and Alexander they could split the minutes failrly equally.

Sure would LOOOVVVVEEEE to have Turner.

Otherwise, i wouldn't mind landing Vaughn to give Greene some competition at the "2" also.

Rodney Crain 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Isn't it great to have quality options at all positions? We have a real shot at Vaughn, but I believe we need at least 4 commits for 2014. Heck of an early signing period so far, it feels like Christmas all over again.

If the 4th is Turner, to go with Vaughn, mercy that would be a great class too!

Alex Berger 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not so sure we will see both Selden and Embiid leave. It's a long season and just because the NBA draft websites say someone is a lottery pick doesn't mean one of those guys can't come back (Marcus Smart...). Embiid is most likely to stay. He needs game experience and he won't get that by jumping to the NBA. Wouldn't be surprised if they both go but don't write them both down as gone quite yet.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

There are differences in the pay scale within the lottery. If Embiid is a top-5 pick lock, he goes, but if he is a late lottery pick, I could see him stay to move himself up the following year.

Jack Wilson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Can we all get this -- we don't have to have a "5" on the floor or starting. We have played quite a bit without a true 5 -- look at 2008. We started Jackson and Arthur. Self will just play the two best post players.

If that wasn't true, why does he start Black and Ellis. Both are 4s. Why are Traylor and Ellis in the game at once now? Why is Lucas (a supposed 5) not playing in that instance? Why? He's not good enough according to Self. Neither of the Morrises were true 5s. We've had a few true 5s .. Kaun, Aldrich, Withey, and now Embiid.

So don't project your lineups based on 4 or 5 spots. There are two post spots.

And what makes anyone think Mickelson will be worth a darn? At the scrimmage last month, the guy had a line drive shot and was pretty average. No reason at all to think that he'll be ahead of Traylor. But we will likely play 4 post players, with the 4th getting minutes similar to Traylor at the end of last season -- below 10 per game. He and Lucas will likely battle for the scraps. I'm not writing him off, I'm just saying that there is no evidence to suggest that he jumps Traylor.

I appreciate all of the enthusiasm on Frankamp. It was very apparent from many after he hit some threes at the summer srimmage. He was the second coming. But he didn't even play Tuesday (30 seconds). Heck, he might even redshirt next season. How does he beat out White, Greene, or Oubre for minutes?

I do believe Frankamp will be a contributor "before all is said and done" -- which is why I wanted him to redshirt. His 5th year would be much more productive and helpful than his 1st season.

Aaron Paisley 9 months, 2 weeks ago

HEM, you of all people who pay attention to Self's history should know that Self has redshirted players more frequently during their second year or later than during their first year. Rodrick Stewart, Brady, Releford, Little, and Teahan all redshirted later than their first year. KU can land someone like Vaughn, redshirt Frankamp and still get 5 years out of Frankamp and he gets the benefit of redshirting with a year under his belt and a much better firsthand idea of what he needs to work on. This has always been Self's preferred method so I don't think landing a potential OAD in Vaughn forces a transfer like you think it could.

I do agree with you that KU doesn't need anyone else at this point and Oubre and Alexander are a great duo to have, but if someone as talented as Vaughn wants to come to KU, would Bill Self tell a potential difference maker no?

Jack Wilson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Aaron .. you're right, he could redshirt year two. konkeyDong had pointed that out on another site, and it's a good point.

But, respectfully, what does that have to do with Vaughn? I mean, if Frankamp stays where he is in the pecking order, he should redshirt with or without Vaughn, correct.

Without Vaughn, Frankamp is behind - Tharpe/Mason/White/Greene/Oubre. The #6 perimeter guy is not a good place to be.

Unless he makes a leap, I would redshirt him next year. This year made more sense .. he's the #7 perimeter guy.

And I don't think landing Vaughn forces a transfer. My point is more getting inside the head of Andrew White, Brannen Greene, or Conner Frankamp. Vaughn is not a presumed OAD. Does he leap those guys? Someone gets squeezed. Logic (my logic, mind you) tells me that at least one guy pulls the ripcord to get assured playing time. They only get to do this once.

Michael Pannacciulli 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Love love love love this news! Alexander is a beast. He will rip it up. Well done. Welcome to KU young man.

Daniel Kennamore 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Welcome to the Jayhawk family young man.

Rock Chalk!

Bruce Beckum 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Check out his body language immediately after.

Tony Bandle 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I told you all earlier this week, that photo of him with the current players watching his girlfriend play ball at Allen had him already looking like a teammate.

I am sure Jahlil's head said Kansas but his heart said stick with his pal, keep his promise and go to Duke.

I think that this is only the beginning of the recruiting gold rush we will see from Coach Howard over the next several seasons, before he gets his own position.

Mr. Turner...come on down!!!!!

Ben Schwartz 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that photo.

Kevin Huffman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Turner would be Roberts again.

Um...who was Townsend in on for Class of '14?

Pope, Perkins, McLaughlin & S. Johnson?

Jonathan Andrews 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Way to go, Self! Welcome, Cliff, you're going to be an AMAZING addition to our program.

Michael Lickteig 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Cliff Alexander is a wonderful pickup for Kansas, and I'm overjoyed that the Hawks didn't get shut out today. Next year's team will be outstanding with Alexander, Oubre and Mickelson added to the squad.

Ben Schwartz 9 months, 2 weeks ago

To be honest, I wasn't initially sold on this guy. I had read a comment that painted him negatively (that may or may not be true), but after spending some time watching highlights and interviews/comments by him I am definitely more convinced.

He dunks every chance he gets, and he loves doing it. He feeds off of the energy and gets juiced even when a small gym of high school peers is cheering. Imagine the level he will be on when he brings down the house in the Phog.

When he turns on his motor, you can tell he has authority in the post. In a game I watched where he matched up against Jahlil, Cliff would just patiently back him down and score pretty easily. I think he could easily play in the same rotation as Perry (if he is here next year).

The media is comparing him to T-Rob, but he really seems more like the up-side of Darnell Jackson. He is a thick, 5 years-younger-than-he-looks, Chicago kid in the vein of Sherron. He fits our system well and I can't wait for him to meet Hudy and the conditioning regiment.

John Randall 9 months, 2 weeks ago

The conditioning regiment? I guess that must be the group who carries out the regimen ??

Actually, Ms Hudy isn't at all regimented, but develops a program for each individual.

Ben Schwartz 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I could maybe argue my way out of this one if I really tried, but I'll concede. I meant regimen. Hopefully it doesn't devalue the overall post too much.

Benz Junque 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Rumor out of Illinois area is that Cliff Alexander is stating that PG JaQuan Lyle will be joining him at Kansas. Just rumors from pi$$ed off Illini fans at this point but they have long been rumored to want to go to school together.

Jonathan Allison 9 months, 2 weeks ago

we're not even in on Lyle. He's got a top 17 that doesn't include Kansas, with medium interest in K-State. Wouldn't that be funny though, if we swooped in at the last minute and snagged him away from KSU.

Benz Junque 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Eh, yeah we are. Now that Jones isn't coming here, KU is back in on Lyle.

Ben Schwartz 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Interesting, I would almost be inclined to think that the Tyus/Jahlil pair picking Duke over us would make him want to pair up with Alexander after all.

Even though Lyle can play the 2 as well as the 1, we are still stuck with the obvious truth that our Guard stable looks pretty well-stocked even with Selden likely gone (Wiggins too, obviously). Self seems to like combo guards who can run, though.

We will find out later in the season if Greene is a consistent spark off the bench or if he needs a Sophomore redshirt. I just hope AWIII finds his place by the end of the season. He seems to have put in so much work and has such a great demeanor towards KU that it would be awful for him to feel like his effort isn't enough to earn minutes (which spells transfer, especially if we bring in another guard).

Benz Junque 9 months, 2 weeks ago

White needs to keep putting in the work. If somewhere down the road he ends up being a contributor in games, that's great. If not, then he is a quality player in practice to help the team. Everyone needs to stop obsessing over possible transfers.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

A 6-4 PG could actually fit. We've offered, so Bill must want him. If Alexander is pushing, then it could definitely happen. Another top-40 guy could help stabilize things with less of a threat of a short stay.

This plan is coming together nicely.....

Chris Shaw 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't know like the hat ceremony, but the U of I perspective is absolutely hilarious. This is funny stuff right here.

Ben Schwartz 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I was chuckling throughout, but I completely lost it when the kid started nit-picking that "It is KU, not University of Kansas." Obviously a staffer at the LJW.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Man, that is really harsh. Is that a little girl in the background who can hear his heart pounding?

Gotta say, I wish he hadn't done that. In fact, I wish the coaches would work with all of the recruits and get them to say: My decision really comes down to three words....Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Suzi Marshall 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Oh geez that was funny. I nearly broke a rib laughing. Nevertheless, that was harsh and bet there will be some blow back on Cliff for that one.

Self will not find anything about that stunt to be humorous. He retains some fondness for U of I and Champaign.

Bryce Landon 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm glad to get him, but consider who else was recruiting him - Illinois, Memphis and (wait for it...) DePaul. Not exactly the big names. Where were Kentucky and Duke in the recruiting process for this guy? Did they even go after him?

Aaron Paisley 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Take 2 minutes, check out his Rivals profile, then tell the class what you saw there.

Chris Shaw 9 months, 2 weeks ago

He wanted to stay in the Midwest and Kentucky already got their Big Men in Trey Lyles and Karl Towns, which are both 6'10 kids and ranked #8 and #11 respectively in the class. Duke just got their Big Man in Okafor.

With all that said, Kansas is "BigManU" so that doesn't leave many options for National TV exposure every freaking week.

Chris Shaw 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Now let's get Myles Turner in for a visit and get this class done in the Spring.

Alex Wishart 9 months, 2 weeks ago

One thing that I haven't really seen mentioned yet is that our team looked AWESOME going small. How great was it to see Mason at the point with Tharp at the SG? This is something that will help us come March. In the Bill Self era we have been bounced out of the tournament by mid majors that are typically playing small ball out of need. We took the small ball challenge from Coach K (the system he ran for the Olympic squad) and beat him at his own game. This might be the biggest development coming out of the Dook game.

Benz Junque 9 months, 2 weeks ago

That lineup only looks good against a team with ZERO good interior players like Duke. Against the vast majority of teams that won't be available.

Ryan Houston 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If both Emiid and Ellis stay, the lineup will look like this

Tharpe/Mason/Frankamp

White/Frankamp

Oubre/Greene

Ellis/Alexander/Traylor/Mickleson/Lucas

Emiid/Alexander/Lucas/Traylor

I feel bad for those guys who won’t see much playing time, because they all deserve some minutes. Though it does make it so we have the best product as possible on the court.

Kye Clark 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Only 5 hours behind the last guy who posted this. LOL

Bruce Beckum 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Who's the guy next to Alexander and what's up with him?

Anyway, Great job HCBS and welcome to KU Mr. Alexander.

Joseph Bullock 9 months, 2 weeks ago

OK, TRUBLUE here. For any of you that don't think there is any truth to JaQuan Lyle attending K.U., you better think again. Does anyone remember when he de-committed from Louisville, that he posted a picture of himself and Alexander, with a K.U. Logo (or something of the sort)! Now read this partial article, from a while back: Just based on a couple of sentences from Lyle, it would appear that the Jayhawks are the front-runners for the pair, according to ESPN.

"It would probably be Kansas," Lyle said. "I like them a lot, and me and [assistant] coach [Jerrance] Howard had a relationship at Illinois and also when he was at SMU." Ain't nothin changed! Lyle will be a Jayhawk. And if I'm not mistaken, he is a big point guard, who can also play the 1 & 2, at both ends of the floor. That would be a great compliment to Tharp & Mason. Rock Chalk!

Asad Zoberi 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I am delighted on this signing but I wish he had not done the hat ceremony, and in particular, how he did it. It would have been great if he would have done a simple ceremony like Selden, Embiid etc had done without making this hoopla on ESPNU.

Roy Scherff 9 months, 2 weeks ago

This guy will never play here. He's still committed to Illinois.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

He does seem to be a bit of a drama queen. He's gonna get a lot of hate from Illinois though, for the hat ceremony, and his comments about recruiting Lyle seem to suggest that he'll be a solid commit.

I've seen conflicting things on whether we are recruiting Lyle, but if Self wants him he could probably seal the deal on both.

Jack Wilson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I would be fine with Lyle coming to seal the deal with Alexander .. though Alexander's mom apparently said he's signing his LOI today.

Lyle comes now and would likely be behind every perimeter player we have. He's not a Tyus Jones talent. His comment when he decommitted from Louisville was a concern for playing time. How does KU make sense there?

It makes sense if he wants to come and be patient. By his junior season, only Mason, Frankamp, and Lyle could be left standing -- Tharpe graduated, White graduated, Greene to the pros after year 3, Oubre to the pros after year 1 or 2. In that sense, a guy like Lyle works.

Ed Connealy 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Cliff couldn't come off as a bigger jerk. Self will have his hands full w/ this one, assuming he even comes to KU.

Robin Smith 9 months, 2 weeks ago

You've misread him completely.

I saw a young kid make a very hard decision that deeply affected him. He looked shy and emotional. He had to disappoint his hometown. He wasn't sure if he'd get to go to his first choice until 3 min prior. He was experiencing technical difficulties. His teammates pressured him to indicate his runnerup.

Let's consider what it means to be a jerk when jumping to harsh conclusions about kids.

Ian Emerson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Robin i couldn't agree more. Im sure it wasnt his idea to do that, even his dad seemed a little uneasy when it happened.

Suzi Marshall 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I think the vast majority of Jayhawk Nation would have gotten some enjoyment if the alternative had been Duke or Missouri. As it is, I agree the decison had to stressful to him and it shows the kid certainly has a sense of humor. I thought it was incredibly funny, expecially since we are on the right side.

Ryan Sullivan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

He signed his LOI at 8am this morning...so suck it.

Ron Franklin 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Ryan, do you have a link on this?

Evan Bilyeu 9 months, 2 weeks ago

What is your guys opinion of Jaquan Lyle? I want him but I really would rather have Rashad Vaghn or Justise WInslow. I think we should start recruiting him after they decide.

Benz Junque 9 months, 2 weeks ago

It doesn't sound like Lyle thinks KU is a great fit for him. This is from a month ago in Sporting News: "At the end of the day, I'm going to make the best decision for myself and if the best decision for (Alexander) is to be at Kansas and me elsewhere, then that's what it's going to have to be," Lyle told Sporting News. "But if the opportunity comes where it's going to be a great situation for both of us, then why not?"

I would much rather have Rashad Vaughn as well. I think the big man roster is too crowded for Turner to sign with us now. I don't see Ellis, Alexander and Turner all playing major minutes together.

Joseph Bullock 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Give me Turner, any day! He is the best defensive big man in High School Basketball. maybe the best over all defender, period. it simply gives us more depth! Also, Lyle will be a Jayhawk!!! Doesn't anyone remember his post, with Alexander, and something Jayhawk (I can't remember exactly what is was, right now)? And we could use a combo guard, who can defend a big guard, or a point guard, and he is 6'5" tall. He is also rated #22, Nationally, now. I had heard he was #39, about a month ago. maybe he has moved up in the rankings, or maybe it was two different ranking services. Either way, I'll take him!

Joseph Bullock 9 months, 2 weeks ago

PS: Get over the hat trick thing. tNo, he should not have done it, but the young man knows he made a mistake by doing that, so let it go. Besides, as many times as that has happened to us, it's better Illinois, than us. LOL