Sunday, May 26, 2013

Jeff Withey works out with Boston Celtics

Kansas center Jeff Withey dunks during warmups prior to tipoff against Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship on Saturday, March 16, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Former Kansas University basketball center Jeff Withey worked out for the Boston Celtics, who have the No. 16 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, on Friday in Boston. He was joined by Marquette’s Vander Blue, Virginia Tech’s Erick Green, Providence’s Ricky Ledo, Louisville’s Peyton Siva and Colorado State’s Colton Iverson.

Withey, a 7-footer from San Diego, recently met with executives from 12 teams at the NBA Combine in Chicago.

“Dallas (No. 13 pick) was a good interview,” Withey told FOX Sports West. “Atlanta (Nos. 17, 18) was a good one, and Utah (No. 14, 21). They all went really smoothly for the most part. Those ones stood out to me. I got a good feel from every team. Every team said I presented myself well, and the whole thing, I felt like I got what I wanted out of it.”

Withey is working out with the Wasserman Group and trainer Rob McClanaghan in Los Angeles as the June 27 Draft approaches.

Of his skill set, Withey said: “I don’t have the best offensive game, but defensively, I feel like a guard-driven game helps me out with blocking shots. That’s what I do best. Going into the NBA, hopefully I’ll feel very comfortable doing what I did in college at the NBA level.

“Also, I have a jump shot that I’ve been working on and trying to perfect. It’s my 15-foot jump shot. So pick-and-pop, I think that’s something that can be very strong for me and that I’m working on.”

On McGary: Withey spoke with the Detroit Free Press about Michigan freshman sensation Mitch McGary’s deciding to return to Ann Arbor for his sophomore season. The 6-10 McGary had 25 points and 14 rebounds in a Sweet 16 win over KU.

“He’s a great hustle player, a great energy guy and he’s going to do really well next year," Withey said. “I’m surprised that he didn’t go to the NBA. What surprised me is he’s a smaller guy but he plays bigger than what he is.”

Tatum update: Jayson Tatum, a 6-6, 180-pound freshman point guard from Chaminade High in St. Louis, Mo., who is expected to be ranked in the Top 5 in the Class of 2016, tells Zagsblog.com he has scholarship offers from KU, Kentucky, Florida, Missouri, Illinois, Memphis and St. Louis.

“Obviously, he’s talented and has size,” ESPN recruiting analyst Reggie Rankin told Slam Magazine. “But his skill level is so far developed at this stage. He can make plays usually kids his age are not that advanced to do. He’s got great size and a feel for the game, and ahead of his time for his grade. Being a 6-7 wing player, and versatile, will give him the opportunity to be a special player. I think he’s a lock high-major player. If I’m an assistant coach at an elite program, I’m offering that kid based on what I know right away.”

Tatum played last weekend at the Nike Memorial Classic in Georgia.

Maker update: Thon Maker, a 7-foot, 200-pound freshman from Carlisle School in Martinsville, Va., played well over the weekend at an EYBL tourney in Minnesota. He told Zagsblog.com he has offers from Arizona, Georgetown, LSU, Memphis, Miami, NC State, Ohio State and Virginia. The former soccer player from Sudan has recently heard from coaches from KU and Kentucky, he said.

Wiggins grateful: Future KU guard Andrew Wiggins of Huntington (W.Va.) Prep wrote a thank you letter to the community of Huntington that appeared in the Huntington Herald-Dispatch on Saturday.

“I am from Canada and I am going to Kansas to play college basketball. I will hopefully be drafted to a city that I enjoy. But I will always have a place for Huntington in my heart and memories. I will not forget all the sacrifices they made for me and my teammates. Thank you from the bottom of my heart,” Wiggins wrote.

Transfer talk: Former Memphis guard Antonio Barton on Sunday chose Tennessee over Kansas State, Maryland and Texas A&M.

Having already graduated, the 6-2 senior combo guard will be immediately eligible at UT, where he will play one season.

Comments

Hawk8086 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Ugh. Should have said...gets off of the ground quickly.

Hawk8086 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Great letter by Wiggins. Class. I have to believe that Withey has a decent future in the NBA. Not a star, but a good and valuable player. Comparisons are always interesting. He is not as big as Big O and will get pushed around more. Not as quick or as athletic as others (such as Ratliffe) , but he does have great timing and gets off of the ground quick. I think he can make a living in the NBA with his rim protection skills alone.

martyks 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Withey would help Boston. It might be fun to see him there. I recall another center who played for Boston who had almost no offensive game, but he did all right. I think his name was Russell. :)

jayhawkmike 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Tardbate, you are oh so wrong again with every word you say. Still think Withey will become a three point threat in the NBA like you once posted? If only Coach Self would have moved him towards the 3 point line to defend against 3 pointers. And we definately took way to many unconcested dunks last year because you can't get a three point play that way. And football revenues are not releant at all.

jaybate 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Notice how football TV revenues no longer drive realignment?

Notice how they never did?

:-)

jaybate 10 months, 3 weeks ago

• recruiting starts so early now, Self brings diapers and pacifiers to in-homes.

• Antonio Barton on Sunday chose to play for Cuonzo Martin instead of for Bonzo Weber.

•"What surprised me is [Mitch Mcgrary's] a smaller guy, but he plays bigger than what he is.”--Jeff Withey

Nut punches by teammates can make guys appear smaller than they are, Jeff.

• developing karate kicks to the head and genitals, plus the quickness to block sucker punches would keep Jeff in the L much longer than a 15 foot J. C • Paying a prison body teammate a $100k/season to take out the knee of any opponent that tries to intimidate Jeff would keep Jeff in the L longer than any other single thing Jeff could do.

• Potential Thon Maker Headlines:

Maker Can't Miss

Thin Thon from Thudan a Thorn in Thooner'th Thideth

Sudan Swatter Taps Kansas

Maker a Record Breaker

Woody Cragg 10 months, 3 weeks ago

It took me 30 yrs. more to get what I paid for. SSC, fuggetaboutit, just a political ponzi scheme if you ask Rick Perry. More power to ya. ballers, ride the wave if it's there for you.

Woody Cragg 10 months, 3 weeks ago

10 yrs may get a pension & benefits. Retire at 32-33? What's wrong with that pic?

Joe Ross 10 months, 3 weeks ago

The problem is that big men in the League can shoot. Jeff is not going to be able to leave his man as much for help defense, and he got a lot of blocks in college that way. Also, big men in the NBA are much more physical, and Jeff is going to have to learn to adjust because he lacks Ostertags bulk. Skinny big men in the league have never done exceptionally well. Im thinking of Shawn Bradley, Manute Bol, Eric Chenowith, and others. Height plus bulk pays off.

I still think Jeff will do well, especially defensively. I think he's even got the fundamentals of good offense. But he can't go into the league and last unless he changes some things about his game. It sounds like he knows that from reading this article. And it probably accounts for where his draft position is...

Tony Bandle 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Regarding the main topic of the article, it probably doesn't hurt Jeff's chances with the Celtics in that two of the greatest Celtics, Jo Jo White and Paul Pierce, happen to be fellow Jayhawks and one of the Celtics biggest busts, J.R Giddens, was kicked off the Jayhawk team by Kansas.

Jeff is Ostertag except he can run faster, jump higher, block shots more efficiently, has more stamina, score multiple ways, screen like a mad man...and yet the Big 00 lasted a decade and made multiple millions.

The sky is the limit for Jeff!!!!!

Joe Ross 10 months, 3 weeks ago

No hat-choosing ceremony. No overstated signing with designs cut into his hair. No wasted words on the court. He lets his actions speak for himself.

It's clear that a "hype machine" is not something Wiggins needs. It's all about the love of the game, and the quiet confidence that he has the talent to play it.

This is the anatomy of a recruit choosing Kansas over Kentucky.

Jdunk 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Amen. Wiggins sounds like the kid anyone would like on there team. And when you consider his talent level...WOW!

KUTPO 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Here is the Wiggans whole article from the Huntington Hearld. Too bad he won't be in Lawrence longer than nine months.

Greg Lux 10 months, 3 weeks ago

My guess is the NCAA is going to change the rule on College players that says " When you graduate you have finished your college eligibility with the condition that you can finish your current season at the school you are attending." ( for mid-season graduates)

No more after graduate transfers would be my guess soon.

Rock Chalk

akgjenkintown 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Wonderfully written letter. It is a pleasure to see a young man with this level of talent express his gratitude to others and remain humble. Players like this fit in better and appreciate that no matter how good you are basketball is still a team sport. I just wish ESPN and the other outlets would stop televising high school players make college announcements. It is creating a culture of me, me, me. I truly appreciate the way Wiggins has handled his fandom even though very premature. If one is not driven at every level no matter how talented and become complainant, others will pass you by. He seems to have the talent and more importantly the drive to excel, while not being too enamored with himself. Rock Chalk

REHawk 10 months, 3 weeks ago

By the way, I notice that Gary Bedore has written the past six hoops articles. Have the Keegan bashers shouldered T.K. to the pigskin board after his Wayne Selden phone interview?

Matt Stucker 10 months, 3 weeks ago

After reading Andrew Wiggins letter I am even more confident in this young man. I'm sure that he is going to be one heck of a basketball player but he keeps impressing me as being also one heck of a person. Welcome Mr. Wiggins and I am confident that with your apparent attitude you will enjoy your time at KU no matter how long you stay.

REHawk 10 months, 3 weeks ago

My feeling is that the NCAA should enact a rule that no high school player can be offered a Division 1 scholarship until the summer after sophomore season. I would much rather see that than the enactment of a rule forcing college graduates to sit out a year after choosing to transfer for their final year of eligibility. If Josh Pastner and Mike Anderson or any coach cannot or will not offer optimum development for promising players, why should their programs be protected from graduating transfers?

Scott MacWilliams 10 months, 3 weeks ago

is it just me, or does it seem weird to get scouting reports on hs freshmen?? they are 14 or 15, I know, but it just seems a little strange. Are they aware of what is going on out here with all these basketball junkies who want to know if they've got a 15-foot shot or can dribble drive? I don't know, just seems strange for sports reporting. yeah, I've seen the utube clips of the 7th graders dunking that look like MEN already... What are these kids eating, lots of that milk with the bovine growth hormones that supposedly can't be measured, therefore we don't have anything to worry about??

well, rock chalk, anyway...