Monday, May 20, 2013

For Kansas basketball, recruiting never ceases

Huntington Prep basketball player Andrew Wiggins, center, flanked by his parents Mitchell Wiggins and Marita Payne-Wiggins, as he announces his commitment to the University of Kansas during a ceremony, Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at St. Joseph High School in Huntington W.Va. The Canadian star, a top prospect, averaged 23.4 points and 11.2 rebounds per game this season for West Virginia's Huntington Prep.

photo

Sholten Singer, The Herald-Dispatch/Associated Press

Bill Self’s official title — the one that appears on his employment contract — is Kansas University men’s basketball coach.

It could easily be amended to coach/general manager, however, considering how much of his time goes toward the pursuit of players, such as last week’s prize catch — No. 1-ranked Andrew Wiggins.

“Recruiting is a never-ending process,” said Self, KU’s 10th-year coach, who has signed top-15-ranked players in Wiggins, Josh Selby (1), Xavier Henry (8), Julian Wright (8), Wayne Selden (12), Mario Chalmers (12) and Brandon Rush (13) at KU. “Not a day goes by you don’t do something recruiting-related with prospects you are seriously interested in.

“With Kurt (Townsend), Norm (Roberts) and of course Joe (Dooley) just here, Danny (Manning) here last year and Jank (Tim Jankovich) before that, you’ve got so many guys (assistant coaches) who have played a huge role in representing our school and selling it well. We love the product we are selling, but the product alone doesn’t sell it. We have to work, and I have a staff that does it as well as anybody.”

Sometimes Self and his assistants follow players — such as Wichita’s Perry Ellis — as far back as eighth grade. Other times they start recruiting players like Wiggins as late as the summer before their junior seasons of high school.

The specific pitch to Wiggins, a 6-foot-8 guard/forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, went something like this: “The opportunity, the need, the exposure, the style of play, the success we’ve had of late,” Self said of selling points. “The programs he considered (Kentucky, Florida State, North Carolina) have all got it going, and others have it going as well.

“We’ve had it going pretty well, too. We’ve been able to sell what we’ve done and been able to sell a track record. That said, you have to have a connection with people, and Kurtis Townsend did a great job with he and his family. I’d like to think he (Wiggins) has a comfort level with our players and recruiting class coming in. It was a team effort, without question.”

Selling points

Self has some stats ready to present during in-home visits with prospects.

“We have won as many or more games than anybody of late. We’ve won the league (Big 12) nine years in a row,” Self said. “We’ve had lottery picks in the league (NBA). We’ve graduated every kid we’ve had here as a senior except one. I think we’re 27 out of 28 now. We’ve not played to less than a sellout in 12 years. There are a lot of things we can sell.”

Self sometimes gives a history lesson to recruits. Last week, ESPN radio host Doug Gottlieb was amazed Self said he mentioned Jayhawks Ralph Miller and John McLendon, who are not on the radar of current high schoolers.

“Dr. Naismith was our first coach. Adolph Rupp did play here. Dean Smith did play here. Ralph Miller was here, and John McLendon was from here, and Wilt (Chamberlain) was from here. Start adding that all up, there’s a lot of positive things that have taken place here,” Self said, proud of KU’s tradition and tree of coaches.

“There are so many people that impacted our game historically that basically got their start here. It’s an easy sell, a great product. Still yet with players in today’s time and immediate gratification and things like that, you have to be able to sell opportunity too.

“I think we can plug Andrew in and utilize him similar to Ben (McLemore, last year’s leading scorer as freshman who is off to NBA), plus some, and I think that’s something he was attracted to.”

Wiggins had a great time during his campus visit — during which he attended KU’s Senior Night game against Texas Tech. Wiggins left with a lasting impression of KU’s Allen Fieldhouse and its fans.

“Once kids get out here and visit, it’s different. Everybody that experiences it, even though you may expect it to be good, it’s usually better than what you expect,” Self said.

“Andrew liked getting to know the coaches (of schools recruiting him). His ego didn’t bother him where he had to be recruited like a lot of people feel they have to be recruited. He’s not one of those guys you had to talk to every day or write a note to every day. He’s one of those kids you know says, ‘I got my information. Coach, you do your deal. I’ll do mine.’ That’s how it played out.”

On one-and-dones

In a perfect world, Self would be able to coach players such as Wiggins, McLemore, Selby, Henry and Wright for four years, not just one or two.

But that’s just not the way it is. Barring some freak occurrence, Wiggins will be here one year only.

“I don’t think it’s a good rule. I think kids should be able to go right out of high school if they meet a certain criteria, (if) an NBA selection panel says they are definitely a first-round draft pick,” Self said of the one-and-done. “I don’t think the fact the way rules are set up that you’ll probably be losing a youngster after one year is a bad thing. There’s been many one-and-dones out there the way the rule is set up.

“Even though I don’t like the rule, it has really benefited our sport in that they (one-and-dones) have been great ambassadors for different reasons.

“I certainly believe if Andrew comes in and does what he is capable of doing, he can certainly fall into that group and be a great role model and ambassador for college athletics. I wish kids could go out of high school if that’s where they should be as far as the people looking at them a certain way, but it would be nice to see the kids stay longer than one year in college as well.”

Self said he hasn’t spoken with Wiggins about the near certainty he’ll be one and done.

“I know the deal. He knows the deal. He knows if he comes and makes us better, he’ll be better and will have a chance to make a decision early in his career,” Self said. “If that’s the case, that’s the case. That’s the system we have.”

photo

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

Stellar class

It’s interesting that as Self begins his 11th season at KU, he has perhaps his top recruiting class. Complacency has not set in the KU coaches’ offices.

KU’s class consists of No. 1 Wiggins, plus No. 12 Wayne Selden, 6-5 shooting guard, Tilton (N.H.) School; No. 25 Joel Embiid, 7-foot center, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla.; No. 29 Brannen Greene, 6-7 small forward, Tift County High, Tifton, Ga.; No. 34 Conner Frankamp, 6-foot combo guard, Wichita North; and No. 76 Frank Mason, 5-11 point guard, Massanutten Military Academy, Woodstock, Va. Also, KU has landed former Arkansas center Hunter Mickelson, who will sit out next season then have two years of eligibility remaining.

“We had an unbelievable class when we signed Brandon (Rush), Mario (Chalmers), Julian (Wright) and Micah Downs (2005-06). That’s a big-time class,” Self said. “This one has more upside. Andrew (Wiggins) has a chance to be the first pick in the draft. Joel Embiid goes from being an unranked player to being the top center prospect in the class. He’s raw but so gifted physically. Wayne Selden is a McDonald’s All-American and top-15 guy. Everybody knows about those three, but they are sleeping on are the other three. Conner Frankamp can play for anyone, and so can Brannen Greene. Frank Mason is about as underrated of a point guard as there is in the class. It’s been a great recruiting class, but we need to have a great recruiting class because we lost so many guys on a team that did pretty well this year.”

KU’s recruiting class is ranked second nationally behind Kentucky.

“We’ll have bigs and guys who can score on the perimeter, and we’ll have length and be athletic. We’ll just be very young,” Self said of the upcoming 2013-14 season. “We may not win as many games (as last year’s 31-6 team), but from a talent standpoint, we have a chance to be very good and by the end of the season hopefully a team that plays for high stakes.”

Comments

Greg Lux 11 months, 1 week ago

We have got to do a better job of watching our Poor Star athletes. We should have seen the game tickets left by Ben for this guy ( not family or friends ). Thats a red flag that should not have been missed. No matter how this turns out for the school. Ben walks free and thats just wrong. We have a lot invested in these athletes and we have a lot invested in the future. A scandal like this is stoppable if we are watching. The school knows all these guys are out for money off this kid and the school needs to be more aware of the problem. Let's pray the school and kids are not damaged by this money hungry bunch.

Rock Chalk

Joe Baker 11 months, 1 week ago

Black is the experience and capstone needed. An extra big option can't hurt.

Ralster Jayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

BigBlack to KU. We need his size & experience. Great pick up. I am very curious to see if his statistical production changes at KU.

wrwlumpy 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm sure many on this site have discovered this KU site with national stories. I found it today. I saved it to my favorites list with my 8 other sports sites dealing with NCAA basketball and especially the Jayhawks.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

The most important basketball played every season is the times none of us rarely if ever see....PRACTICE!!

Having Tarik join Kansas would add another dimension to an already electric roster...and that is an experienced big man.

Just picture Jo Jo, Perry and Jamari jousting with Tarik, Landon and Hunter...those practices will be amazing. The AW's against each other.....Naadir and Frank.....Conner, Brannen and Selden trying to outgun each other....EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 11 months, 1 week ago

I thought that Tarik Black was supposed to decide today. Was I misinformed? Does anyone know when he is deciding?

Ralster Jayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Proposal: Call in the "HawkSquad", a stealth group of KU student-hecklers with-a-budget, who go into opposing arenas at least 30-strong and wear the opposing team's colors...and yell "overrated" to Wiggins OR to the entire KU team (as KU ranked forever in top10)...and this will fire-up the boys in ways that Self cant. Guaranteed win. Especially start heckling when KU is up 5 with 3min to go...extra mojo...

Hawk8086 11 months, 1 week ago

I think most of us would say we would not trade HCBS for any other coach. I know I would say that. I think where the criticism starts to come in relates to the early exits in the tourney. I do think we have had more than our share of them. Some of our teams have tended to play "tight" which have lead to the upsets that don't need to be listed. Yes.... Roy had some too. Every coach does......it is the nature of the tournament. I think Self's teams have under-performed relative to their ranking in the tournament more than average. Of course, we all would like for him to have won another NC or two. That said, if Self stays 10 more years and wins the same number of Conference Championships, one more NC, and one more runnerup..........I'll take it in a hearbeat. .

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 1 week ago

First and foremost, I think we should pay every opposing teams fans to chant "overrated" before every game to Wiggins. That will be an automatic win. Secondly, I think we can actually use Tarik. It's always good to have depth down low and he's got some playing time under his belt. Lastly, Bill Self may not have won all the NC's we thought he could have won, but realistically, what he's done since he's been here has been A LOT better than what Roy did. If the ESPN Analysts were to rate all the coaches, like they do for the team rankings, I promise you Bill Self would be top 5. He may not win a NC every year, but dang it, he at least puts a team together that can compete for it. Also, looking at this recruiting class just goes to show he isn't satisfied either. Anyone that thinks Self is "okay" with only one championship, especially after the teams he's had, is insane. He WILL get more NC's, and he WILL do it soon. That, I promise you. RCJH!!!

orbiter 11 months, 1 week ago

BigManU-

Are you off your medication again? You should really listen to your doctor.

"I want to be able to look back and say"
--Hahahaha. Good lord, dude. It's a good thing you have no part in this basketball program. You don't have the stomach for it. It's so precious when fan-dudes whine on like this.

Chris Shaw 11 months, 1 week ago

Like I said, I like 30 win seasons, Big 12 Championships blah blah blah, but people outside of your fanbase remember Final 4's and Championships. I sometimes feel like our fanbase argues for the crumbs and scraps when it comes to other bluebloods.

Why can't this time be Kansas' time? I just have a feeling, like I did in the 90's with Roy Williams a lot of "What If" type of scenarios. Bill Self is so freaking close to putting up Coach K NCAA Tournament numbers, but IMO Kansas and Self keep coming up short.

There will be a time when this era of Kansas Basketball passes and I want to be able to look back and say...Bill Self was the greatest of all time...Not just a "Top Notch" or "Good" coach.

Chris Shaw 11 months, 1 week ago

I am going to throw a curve out for everyone and it may not be a very popular one, but this is a perspective from the other end of the spectrum. I keep seeing everyone throw out 30 win seasons, 9 straight big 12 Championships, potentially 25 straight NCAA tournament appearances, 2 NCAA Final 4's, 1 National Championship, and Best Coach in the country in the span of 10 seasons.

Are all of you content with these numbers? If you are then just keep scrolling and don't pay attention to this post. If you are like me I am not content with those numbers. Although it was brief I remember Kansas basketball prior to Larry Brown and the first couple of seasons of Larry Brown. It wasn't pretty basketball.

With that said, I feel like I know the history of the college game pretty well and my point of this post is this....."Why can't Kansas be the dominant program of this era?" I mean, you look back at history and Kentucky had the late 40's, 50's, and part of the 70's. UCLA was dominant in the 60's and 70's. Indiana had it's time in the 40's and 80's. UNC has been consistent through every decade and did great things in 80's and 90's and Roy won 2 championships in 5 years in the New Millineum decade. Duke and Coach K had the late 80's and 90's locked up!

My point is that while Kansas has been consistent except the late 60's, all of the 70's (Outside of a couple of years) and the first half of the 80's...Kansas has never been the dominant program of a given time period like it's blue blood brothers. I mean, Duke goes to the Final 4 5 out of 6 years, 6 in 8 years, and 7 in 10 years and wins 2 National Championships. Izzo wins a National Championship and goes to the Final 4 every other year over a 12 year span. Roy at UNC wins 2 Championships in 5 years after missing so many opportunities at Kansas over 15 years.

Now this is just my opinon, but Bill Self, as great as he is, IMO should be capitalizing on these "Opportunities" and this "Time Period" of college basketball a lot more than the results being produced in the NCAA Tournament.

What I mean is that Kansas has been the #1 seed 5 times out of the 10 years Bill Self has been Coach at Kansas and only one time has Kansas advanced to the Final 4 after having that #1 seed.

I don't know...I just don't understand why, if Self is as good as everyone is saying and indicating...why can't the time in College Basketball be about Kansas right now? Why can't Kansas capitalize on it's "Opportunities" like so many other programs have in the past?

I don't know, I am excited as all get up for this next season, but I also believe that Andrew Wiggins coming to Kansas is temporarily hiding the fact that Kansas and Self missed another opportunity with their Sweet 16 loss to Michigan.

cont'd

Robert Brown 11 months, 1 week ago

Who is saying Bill Self cannot coach? I have read through the comments and I don't read anyone saying that. Some have commented that the OADs have not fared too well (which is true- I don't believe the teams with Selby and Henry would have been appreciably worse without them). Most of the comments indicated that those players who stay 2, 3, 4 years all get better, which is true from my obsevations. I don't think anyone is arguing that. Doesn't this improvement speak to how great the coaching staff is.

Some of you tend to get upset because people aren't ordaining Coach Self as the "the best coach in college basketball". While some may not think he is the best, I don't think anyone disputes that he is "one of the best".

Some of our fans can have a needless persecution complex.

bad_dog 11 months, 1 week ago

I wish one and done was over and done.

Hawk8086 11 months, 1 week ago

I think we could use Black's veteran presence. Ellis is the only proven front court player. Embiid will, not doubt, get minutes. Hopefully Traylor will improve, but how effective he can be for a large portion of the game is uncertain. Lucas is an unknown at this point. Particularly given the inexperience up front, I would like to see us get Black. Maybe Self feels differently, but I think Wiggins will be more effective as a 3 (or 2). I think with the young lineup, any experienced, good (doesn't need to be great) player will help, especially up front where, I believe, the talent pool, overall, is not as deep as on the perimter.

WesternKSJayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Just read that Tarik Black is still trying to decided where to transfer. However, the "experts" seem to think that although there are four options; it is a two horse race between Kansas and Duke.

In my honest opinion, I hope he chooses somewhere other than Kansas.

Yes, he could be a decent veteran presence for our young bigs, but I would worry about the available minutes at the 4 and 5. Right now, we have Ellis, Traylor, Lucas, and Embiid that will play the majority of the minutes (Not to mention Wesley or even the potential of playing Wiggins at the 4 in some lineups). If Black were to come to Kansas, that would leave us five (or six) bigs for two spots.

With Traylor and Lucas already using their red shirts, that leaves Ellis and Embiid. I doubt that we would see either of them take a red-shirt (Embiid would be the best choice, but his athleticism and shot blocking ability could help right away).

Quite frankly, I just don't think we have enough space here for Black because if he did come, his presence might hinder the development of our already talented front court.

ParisHawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Warning, FUD post. (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

Worst case scenario: McLemore is retroactively deemed ineligible for games at the end of the season. Could that annul our 25-year streak of NCAA appearances? Could that annul our Conference Championship streak??

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V76dgeUOcBI&feature=player_detailpage

Greg Lux 11 months, 1 week ago

I have watched a lot of videos of our incoming class and all I can say is AWESOME. We are going to be so very very fast. There is no way to double team anyone with the inside/outside gang of talent. Conner is an unbelievable 3 point shooter with Brannen, tharpe and Seiden we are crazy good from outside plus they can get to the rim. Seiden and AW are so fast and get to the glass so quickly they are going to raise havoc with anyone. Perry will be unstoppable inside to mid-range with Embiid and Lucas. Lest us not forget Mason who is just plain blazing fast. Yes I did leave out AWIII for a reason. I truly believe he will red shirt this year and that will help him down the road. The talent level of Basketball has jumped to a new level of late and the rims are going to pay the price. This season is going to be crazy fun to watch. The talent is off the chart and the future is so bright. Congrats to HCBS and staff for an unbelievable recruiting class. The Joy in Jayhawk land is off the chart.

Rock Chalk

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

REASONS BILL SELF CAN'T COACH.

1] In these inflationary times, 30 wins a season for a decade just ain't what it used to be.

2] Never ever got the top, kid....oh wait..Selby, Wiggins...oops, never mind!!

3] Does not have any rappers on the payroll.

4] Making the last 25 NCAA's is boring.

5] Heck, anybody can win 9 conference championships in a row.

6] His teams have played before about 150 straight sellouts...probably a bunch of blow up dummies in the cheap seats!!

7] Conference titles are tied with number of home losses in the last ten years...big deal!!

8] Fans show up anywhere in America to watch the University of Kansas because lots of people love the colors Crimson and Blue.

9] Heck, he got turned down by Misery University!! [And look how well that's worked out.]

10] He's never started the Coaches Sons!!

James Naismith 11 months, 1 week ago

Who is the one senior that didn't graduate?

Steve Kubler 11 months, 1 week ago

I keep seeing Self quoted as saying Mason is a sleeper and very underrated. I keep thinking its coach speak but he keeps repeating it with a bit of emphasis. Something in the way he smiles when he says it makes me really want to see this kid play. I figure at best he is a couple of years from seeing the floor. Beings that in a couple of years there will be a need at point to replace Nadiir I do hope Mason works out.

Perhaps it is just coach speak but when HCBS says he thinks someone is going to be good I can't help but get a little excited.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 1 week ago

To be fair to both Selby and Self, it's often forgotten that Selby had the sit-out time plus the injury. He never really had the time to get in the rhythm of the season. If he had stayed for his sophomore year, I think he would have had an incredible impact and would have been a lottery pick.

William Blake 11 months, 1 week ago

I wonder when CS will find Dooley's replacement?

FearlessJayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

I can almost guarantee you that if coach Self would have had the number of McDonald All-Americans that Kentucky or Carolina have had over the past ten years, there would be one or two more NCAA titles hanging from Allen Field House rafters.

Boouk 11 months, 1 week ago

It's disappointing to see our coaches to put a ton of time and effort into some of these recruits (Randle, Barber, Tarckewski, etc.) only for them to go elsewhere. Thank you Andrew for putting us back into the top 5 and national title contention.

KemDooKU 11 months, 1 week ago

The UK fans talk about Selby and Henry as being good examples of why Self can't coach OAD players but what about UK - Alex Poythress was a top ten sure fire OAD player ......... Errrrr...... Spell check....... Guess he is now a 2AD..... And thats just one player mentioned and there are many more so careful UK fans when casting stones because your track record is not so great as well....

Kevin Jenkins 11 months, 1 week ago

Amazing that some people say Self can't coach. Wow, haven't they watched any KU games or checked the stats or wins? Of course you have players like Shelby or Henry who thought they could be NBA stars and had huge egos. Check out other teams with players who left early only to be working at Walmart. Wiggins is a smart kid with smart parents. He knows a great coach and went with the one he felt would get him ready for his next step. BMac was thinking probably what's best for his family. As far as education KU's players have a excellent graduation rate.

wrwlumpy 11 months, 1 week ago

I was the reading the Lexington, Ky. paper for articles about the moonshiners response to AW to KU and the resulting tweets. A wise article that expressed the disgust of the UK tweets that were filled with Racism and homicidal threats. Most of the Wildcat fans were appalled by the horrible publicity for the state and the school. Where ever KU plays, schools like ISU have the entire crowd wearing shirts that say "Breathe if you hate Kansas". Crazy fans that attack Self after games. ESPN realizes what they have here. The greatest plot line to ever start off a basketball season. Kentucky fans were already making plans for a shrine to this years team until everything changed. You know UK fans are pissed about the cameras and spotlight staying in Lawrence. These 5 players helped by showing Andrew what KU is all about and helped him to decide to be a Jayhawk,

This was tweeted by Seldon yesterday.

This was tweeted by Seldon yesterday. by wrwlumpy

KansasComet 11 months, 1 week ago

I will never forget Henry's 30 point game to start his career out and I will never forget Selby's 21 against USC in his debut. The talent was there. I am glad both were Jayhawks. It is easy to complain about what they didn't do. I remember wanting them both, and I am glad they decided to attend KU. I am sure they tried as hard as they could. I really don't think Henry wanted to leave, based on his press conference. He has been back to attend games, which is great. I liked both, and wished that they both would have stayed longer. They didn't, and life goes on.

akgjenkintown 11 months, 1 week ago

During his 10 years at KU, Self has said Wayne Simien is the best who played for him. Not sure who Self would indicate as the best college basketball player ever, but Danny Manning should be in the top 10.

jaybate 11 months, 1 week ago

Keegs,

Ask Self who he thinks was the best college player that ever played. Even if Self were to say there were no answer, it would be informative.

jaybate 11 months, 1 week ago

Self would have gone undefeated with Cal's ring team. He would have reached the sweet 16 with Cal's talent last season. He is the best right now.

Next.

Vince Brown 11 months, 1 week ago

"Self really can't coach one & dones as we have seen with McLemore and Selby. Both players struggled and had to sit on the bench many times. They just don't work our for Self." Runwild are you nuts? Selby believed all that was written about him and was a legend in his own mind. The NBA has driven that point home. Did you really expect BMac to go the whole season at the high level he was on for awhile. He's a kid who found himself in a position with which he was not familiar. The pressure of major college bball is a bit different than high school. Tyshawn, I believe is the only player to start consistently as a freshman and his troubles continued for 4 yrs. OADs don't work out for HCBS? In 10 yrs he's only had 2 and both had inflated egos. How about more samples before making that judgement? When you stack all the players that have worked out up against those two, I think most Jayhawk fans will take results and be proud andglad to have Bill Self in AFH.

GelatinousCube 11 months, 1 week ago

Teh Cube can't believe teh amount of time, energy and money, yes money, spent on frivolous things like teh sports. What kind of message are we sending to our children. OUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!

Oh, so, so sad.

Smiley Cries A River For America's Youth

Smiley Cries A River For America's Youth by GelatinousCube

Cmill1221 11 months, 1 week ago

"We have not played to less than a sell out in 12 years." WOW! That's strong!

Joe Ross 11 months, 1 week ago

We need beef in the post...a wide-body enforcer in the mold of Jeff Graves, perhaps without his propensity to foul. Hope Self isnt done recruiting. Tarik Black could be very useful.

Joan Kalivoda 11 months, 1 week ago

Keith Kienzle 11 months, 1 week ago

Having a tandem of talented slashers in Wiggins and Selden and a houseful of quality shooters is going to be lethal. I can't wait to see the effects of teams trying to double-team Wiggins.

Kevin Kleinsasser 11 months, 1 week ago

Bill Self is the best college basketball coach in the country. I look forward to seeing this young talent play next season. Wiggins will make everyone on the team just that much better.