Wednesday, May 8, 2013

KU basketball notebook: Wiggins may be nearing decision

McDonald's East All-American's Andrew Wiggins looks up during the first half of the McDonald's All-American boys basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, April 3, 2013.

And then there was one. ...

No. 81-ranked Allerik Freeman’s commitment to Baylor University on Tuesday means all but one of Rivals.com’s top 150 players in the Class of 2013 have committed to a college with seven days remaining in the spring signing period.

The lone uncommitted player, of course, is No. 1 Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 senior forward from Huntington (W. Va.) Prep, who has a final four of Kansas University, Kentucky, Florida State and North Carolina. Wiggins will either sign with a school by the May 15 deadline or show up on a campus at some point before the first day of the 2013-14 school year to ink scholarship papers.

“I know for him, he’s just ready to get the decision over with,” Leslie Thomas, Wiggins’ host family mom in West Virginia, told the Louisville Courier-Journal.

Wiggins has told Thomas that his mother, Marita Payne-Wiggins, is planning to travel to West Virginia from Canada to be on hand for an announcement. Thomas told the paper her arrival would be “sometime in the next week or so.”

“He said, ‘When I declare where I’m going, my mom is going to be there with me,’” Thomas told the Courier-Journal.

Freeman, a 6-4 senior shooting guard from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev., who chose Scott Drew’s Bears on Tuesday, asked out of his UCLA letter of intent when Ben Howland was fired.

FSU the leader?

Jon Rothstein of CBSsports.com lists Florida State as the leader for Wiggins (4-1 odds), followed by Kentucky (6-1), KU (8-1) and Carolina (10-1).

“We’ve felt all along that Wiggins would wind up in Tallahassee, and we’re not budging from that proclamation. The Seminoles have a distinct connection with the talented small forward that none of the other schools on his list possess — both of his parents are alums,” Rothstein wrote.

Cobb talks

Ben McLemore’s former AAU coach, Darius Cobb, spoke on ESPN’s Coach and Company radio show on Tuesday, a day after Cobb had a Florissant, Mo., firm put out a press release stating KU knew nothing of his dealings with middleman Rodney Blackstock. Blackstock allegedly paid Cobb $10,000 to get close to KU star McLemore.

Cobb told co-host Linda Cohn he didn’t know he was jeopardizing McLemore’s amateurism by accepting two $5,000 payments from Blackstock.

“I was under the understanding because I was not his mother or father, boyfriend or immediate family it was OK,” Cobb said. “All I was doing I was almost being paid for being a consultant, just to hear everybody out to start to gather information in the event he did decide to go pro at the end of the year.”

Cobb explained the purpose of two all-expense paid trips to Los Angeles with Blackstock and McLemore’s cousin, Richard Boyd.

“The only thing I did was I went on fact-finding missions,” Cobb said. “I talked to individuals. No money was transacted. I just saw a couple plans as to what this company was willing to do for Ben or how they would set it up depending on where he went in the draft financially — CPA’s covering taxes, how to incorporate to help his sisters or whoever Ben deemed necessary without it coming out of Ben’s pocket. I talked to people about possible roles in starting an AAU program with Ben so he could help in his community. Those were the types of things discussed.”

Cobb was asked Boyd’s role on the two trips: “Basically to accompany me as I gathered information to make sure I wasn’t doing anything unethical, doing anything to jeopardize Ben,” Cobb said.

Cobb was asked if KU or McLemore knew McLemore’s cousin went on those trips: “No, they did not,” Cobb said.

Cobb has not been able to reach McLemore.

“My hope for Ben McLemore would be to run from Rodney Blackstock as far as possible, to go back to the original plan which was to sit down with three to four agents, three to four reputable finance people, let them do a presentation on an even playing field not based off who can do what underneath the table and pick the best person (agent) for his career,” Cobb said.

Comments

Brett McCabe 1 year, 5 months ago

He likes the attention. His 15 minutes is almost up.

archercc 1 year, 5 months ago

Here is how it went down: A. Cobb takes money and promises Ben to Blackstock. B. Ben goes pro. C. Cobb thinks he should get more or should have gotten more for "delivering" Ben. D. Cobb probably is a prick and gets cut off from family. E. Blackmail fails so he follows through with dragging Ben's name through the mud. F. Everyone realizes Cobb is a steaming pile. G. Cobb begins with "damage control" stating he was doing it all for Ben out of the goodness of his heart/anus.

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 5 months ago

I feel that he is clueless, and his explanation, sort-of, explains the string of events leading to the declaration. But now, he needs to get back into the background until the draft is completed, otherwise he is going to start hurting Mr. McLemore. I don't believe that with what I have heard so far, either Ben or KU is involved, and will have to worry about anything.

Jason Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

These quotes from Cobb are HUGE. It doesn't change the fact that technically rules were broken but if all this is true about Mclemore and KU being completely unaware of anything, it will make it hard for the NCAA to make us vacate games. They will take heat if they don't but I think they would take just a little more heat if they do.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Mmmmmm. Yeah, doesn't really seem like he's THAT ready.

Steve Corder 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh, The DRAMA of it all! I just can't wait for the next thrilling up date!

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Dear Andrew Wiggins,

Go away.

Take KU off your list. Return the Jayhawk hat you've purchased for your ridiculous impending hat ceremony. I don't care how good a player you are. It's utterly absurd how long you've dragged this out. Your actions speak louder than any words: you absolutely LOVE attention and drama. You're an attention wh#re. And attention wh#res don't fair well at KU.

YOU are dragging this out, and then YOU are saying "I wish it was over with." That's f###ing absurd. You could quickly, quietly, and humbly end this all with ONE phone call. Not some stupid hat ceremony at some undefined point in the future. Just one f###ing phone call!!!

You are fools gold. You are an impressive reward, tragically buried by a mountain of risk.

Go away. I like our roster exactly the way it is. We don't need an attention-grabbing, chemistry-disrupting, media loving, one-year-staying, NCAA-violation-risking, attention wh#re.

Go away.

Sincerly,

One KU fan who wishes you'd just shut up and take your talents to south beach

Ron Franklin 1 year, 5 months ago

They say he gets his height from his neck :)

eric poncharello 1 year, 5 months ago

FUNNY! I like that. I'm glad someone else said it.

Timmay97 1 year, 5 months ago

This might sound absurd......but if Wiggins chooses Kentucky, I think I might root harder for Kentucky to lose next year than for KU to win.

To me, it's insane that Kentucky could get that recruiting class, regardless of the school and coach. McClemore is a blip on the radar compared to what MUST be going on at Kentucky. Everyone knows it......it's only a matter of time.

Take a wild guess who my most HATED team is. :-) Sorry for the venting!

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 5 months ago

Can you imagine the amout of egos on that team, then adding Wiggins? With playing time having to be low for at least a few of them, there's no way they create a "team" atmosphere.

TysonHawk37 1 year, 5 months ago

I hear you Timmay. I think I've muttered those very same words...

Dan Harris 1 year, 5 months ago

I wouldn't be rooting harder for kensucky to lose then forus to win but it would be damn close!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

"I was under the understanding because I was not his mother or father, boyfriend or immediate family it was OK,” Cobb said.

Did he really say "boyfriend"?

bennybob 1 year, 5 months ago

Well Cobb is male, its not physically possible for him to be anyone's girlfriend

eric poncharello 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, Cobb would be a little B!@#$ to someone who would give him $$$$$, that's already said of his actions.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

glad i wasnt the only one who found that odd

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 5 months ago

Cobb also accepted money from Jason Collins. I'm pretty sure I heard that somehwere, maybe not.

Adam Evans 1 year, 5 months ago

You assumed he was gay because he's a schmuck? How does that relation come about? Is everyone who is a schmuck gay in your book? Quite the homophobic comment

dylans 1 year, 5 months ago

Or it could be because Cobb said he wasn't Ben's boyfriend. Sensitive much?

Jason Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

The worst part is I feel like we might have had Wiggins. We still might but I just don't see it now. The timing of all this was just as bad as it gets. If a rival coach would have gotten to choose a time in the year to break this story, he would have chosen a time within 12 hours of when the story actually broke. Sometimes you're the bird and sometimes you're the statue.

ku_foaf 1 year, 5 months ago

I really hope you weren't holding your breath. If a number one on his list was mentioned, it was never KU. But who knows?

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 5 months ago

I read somewhere that Wiggin's mother was the hard-core FSU person. If that is indeed the case, it looks pretty strong that FSU is his choice.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 5 months ago

That article is over a month old; in BBall recruiting time practically obsolete.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

The purpose was just to demonstrate that both his parents went to FSU, which has been pretty common knowledge for months.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I would "get" the whole FSU alma mater thing if he was going for 4 years, but he wouldn't be there long enough to figure out where the cafeteria is. I'm pretty sure things have changed since mom and pop went there. They need to let him decide what is going to be the best place for him to spend his 6 months of college basketball experience.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 5 months ago

If Wiggins chooses Kentucky, the NCAA should focus 100% attention and their efforts from people like Cobb and Blackstone and direct it to Calipari. If it's too good to be true, then it typically is...LANCE ARMSTRONG comes to mind. Calipari is ruining college basketball IMO. He needs to take his money back to the NBA. Good luck McLemore, we love and support you! Rock Chalk!!!

Robert Brock 1 year, 5 months ago

Calipari is not ruining college basketball - the NBA is. And they don't care.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 5 months ago

Paying college players and or their parents is ruining college basketball. He's clearly not playing within the guidelines set forth.

Brad Farha 1 year, 5 months ago

Calipari is just taking advantage of the rules that are in front of him. It makes me sick, but it's the NBA that makes those rules.

Benz Junque 1 year, 5 months ago

I love how people assume that if a kid chooses Kansas it is because he wants to be part of a great program with a proven coaching staff and a shot at excellent results but if they choose Kentucky it's because they are getting paid. can my fellow KU fans PLEASE stop acting like fools? It's embarassing and makes us look like petty children.

I would not blame Wiggins for choosing Kentucky AT ALL. If he went there they would be the odds on favorite to win the title and shouldn't the kid want to win a national title in his only college season?!?

KU and Carolina would also be great spots for him. Frankly the only choice I would question would be Florida State, where it would only be to make his parents happy. If his parents are so self-involved that they can't be happy for their child wherever he goes then they SUCK as parents.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 5 months ago

Kentucky the favorite to win it all? I beg to differ. Last year they were Pre-Season #3. How did Calisleazy do with that team? I'd take KU or UNC with Wiggins next year over Kentucky.

The point is all of these top recruits are getting advice from Calisleazy's middle men like World Wide Wes. Some of it's about winning, but Money plays a huge role at Kentucky.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 5 months ago

Idk. I think the Harrison twins are special. They are going to be hard to beat if they don't let the egos get in the way.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Having watched the Harrison twins a couple of times this past season, they will frustrate the hell out of UK fans this upcoming season.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

I feel like Andrew's going to be huge & Aaron's not going to live up to expectations until he actually gets to the pros.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh please. A kid has parents who are married, presumably for all of the kids life, have stayed together, raised him to be a level headed kid, destined for greatness, and you say they suck as parents if he goes to Florida State?

On the one hand you correctly state that KU fans act foolish if they criticize a kid for going to Kentucky, then you do even worse and tell a kid and his parents that they suck for making a choice to attend a college. You pretend to know his motive for wanting to go to FSU "only to make his parents happy". Well you know what, if that is true, how warped are you that you'd criticize a kid for wanting to please his parents?

I could really go on and show you all of the thousands of examples of horrible parenting that has gone on in the lives of kids who play at KU and beyond. But you know about that already.

What you wrote is really the most embarassing thing I've seen on here in a long time.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

wissoxfan83 .. great post. Perfect response.

Benz Junque 1 year, 5 months ago

I am not saying that they are "horrible parents" in the sense that truly horrible parents are. It's just unfortunate if they are pressuring him to go thier because it is their alma mater. By virtually every measure, FSU is the worst choice for their kid. They will not compete for a Final Four bid with Wiggins there. Their coaching staff is not known for developing players for the NBA.

But hey, maybe he doesn't care about that and he just wants to play in live in nice weather amongst a hot student body. Then he should go to FSU. Maybe he wants to play on a nationally irrelevant team so he won't feel the pressure of playing on national tv very often. Then he should go to FSU.

"The most embarassing thing I have seen on here"? Did you just start reading yesterday? A bit dramatic...

Dan Harris 1 year, 5 months ago

They suck as parents ?!? Really!! What if a kid with two parents who graduated from KU had the #1 QB prospect and he decided to go to KU instead of Alabama, OU , or a top tier football school?

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 5 months ago

He will not stand out at KY like he would elsewhere. There are too many cooks/stars/EGO's in the kitchen.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

Are we still in the running for Trevor Lacey?

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 5 months ago

Sounds to me like KU officials have explained to Cobb, in detail, exactly what occurred. In other words, his original story has been scrubbed as clean as possible. With that said, it's time for him to SHUT UP!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 5 months ago

I can understand Mr. & Mrs. Wiggins passion for their alma mater, but I get a bad taste when parents try to force the hands of their children. I am more encouraged to teach my children how to evaluate circumstances, determine the pros and cons of each decision and and make the best applicable choice. This is a better foundation for decision making than "hey just do what we did" technique.

I just hope Andrew chooses the best fit for him and gets the most out of his time in college.

Hawk8086 1 year, 5 months ago

Agree completely on you parent / child decision making process. Great point.It also has occurred to me that if I were Zenger, I might consier dropping out of the Wiggins sweepstakes while we are still in this mess. Signing someone like Wiggins increases the chances that issues like this arise. Can you imagine if similar issues were to surface with Wiggins while the NCAA is trying to figure out the McLemore issue? Also, I am amazed that top recruits continue to sign up to go to Baylor. With all of the underachievement by the team, hasn't it been proven that Drew is not a good coach? Maybe the NIT win (in convincing fashion) was redemption. He must be a heckuva salesman.

Hawk8086 1 year, 5 months ago

Ralster, good point, but my comment was about going to Baylor vs. any other program that might have been recruiting him..........not us. Maybe you thought I was inferring that I was disappinted he did not come to KU.........I'm not. I'm sure he had other choices and could have played at those schools, but he chose Baylor.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

All he gets is the family thrill for playing at the family alma mater. They will be good, but nothing else. I don't think he cares at this point. He was really big on making an impression for Canada too.
What a great legacy to attend KU, home of Canadian Dr. James Naismith. They are both Candians and it's special that Naismith started the game at KU and Wiggins has a great chance to follow his footsteps as a fellow-Canadian. Wiggins could use that to increase Canada's prominence in the game of basketball and part of the historical Candian basketball legacy. He would also have a chance of winning a conference championship and possibly a NC.

I get the FSU choice, but what else do they offer?

Gary McCullough 1 year, 5 months ago

When did you become a Canadian psychic? James Naismith is not a Canadian hero. But Lester Pearson is.

Hawk8086 1 year, 5 months ago

Actually, I travel to Canada on business and most Canadians do know who James Naismith is and they are very proud of him.

Gary McCullough 1 year, 5 months ago

How is Andrew Wiggins & his parents love of their alma mater any different then Xavier Henry and his father's love of KU? Or for that matter, would Danny Manning have chosen KU if his father hadn't been hired as an asst. coach.

No, we are hardly innocents in this game. But the NBA could help sort this out if the league took the same stance as MLB. You can take the kid right out of high school, but if the kid goes to college, the school gets the kid's services for at least 3 yrs.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

CJ Henry was an entitled p***k. I really would've loved to have seen what that team would've been like if Carl and CJ were out of the picture and it was just Xavier.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 5 months ago

You didn't say it nearly as strongly as twocoach44 did above, but how do you know what the conversation has been between parent and child? Seriously, is there something wrong with parents and their children making a decision together without someone here presuming to know what's best for that child? If he's that good of a player going to Florida St isn't going to hurt him one bit. Jeremy Lin played at Harvard, didn't hurt him any. Larry Bird played at Indiana St in the only three years they've been relevant in college basketball. Karl Malone, Louisiana Tech, I could go on, but goodness, let these kids make their decisions without making them seem like they're dumb for making their decision.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

I've been tooting that horn for a long time. The family thing at FSU makes little sense to me when you consider Nick being at WSU. Someone lectured me about Nick's talent and status to justify his choosing WSU. NIck is not his brother at all, but if it was a family thing, Nick would be at FSU regardless of his ability.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 5 months ago

So maybe the Wiggins kids are allowed to make decisions on their own, therefore Wiggins really wants to go to FSU because you know, he's 17 or 18 and wants to make that choice.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Nick Wiggins wasn't a good enough player to play at Florida St. as a scholarship player. Wiggins played JuCo ball in Illinois and the only 2 offers he had coming out of JuCo last year were to Wichita St. and Oregon St. If he wanted to go to FSU as a preferred walk-on similar to how Christian Moody and Connor Teahan ended up at KU, I'm sure he could've done that. Florida St. is by no means an elite program, but they do recruit higher caliber kids than WSU and OSU do nationally. Michael Snaer was a top 10 player from California coming out of HS and ended up at FSU so it wouldn't be unprecedented for FSU to land a very highly ranked player.

otaKU 1 year, 5 months ago

Michael Snaer was not a top 10 player coming out high school...unless of course you mean top 10 in the state of California.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Rivals had Michael Snaer as the #7 prospect in 2009 and they are typically more accurate than ESPN is.

otaKU 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess I stand somewhat corrected. I must've been thinking of ESPN where he was ranked as the #22 prospect.

dylans 1 year, 5 months ago

Forte went to KU following his parents too, right?

Ron Franklin 1 year, 5 months ago

Did KU recruit Forte? Did his parents pressure him to follow their footsteps?

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

KU did offer Forte, but they did not recruit him very hard. Biggest reason why KU did not land Marcus Smart because those two were a package deal and most people knew it.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

There was a rumor and sure it was nothing but, that his dad had him down to KU and FSU. Either he attends FSU for the family or pick KU apart from FSU. It's pretty selfish of his parents to push him at FSU when they have little to no chance at much even with AW.

FSU will have a better record at best and maybe make the tourney, but don't think AW is even that good to sustain an entire team. Hamilton just wants him to justify his job.

Benz Junque 1 year, 5 months ago

I have literally heard every single possible combination of teams that Wiggins is allegedly "down to". UK and UNC. KU and UNC. KU and FSU. FSU and UK. KU and UK. I have heard them ALL the last two weeks. NONE of the rumors have any reliability to them.

Whoever ends up being "right" in their random guessing of what school he picks will proclaim that they have excellent inside sources, but it is really a complete mystery at this point. Flip a coin and you have as good a chance at being right because that might be how the kid actually makes his decision. I hope we get him but if not, I hope he doesn't go to Kentucky or Carolina. They will be tough enough to beat without him if we draw them in the tourney.

pepper_bar 1 year, 5 months ago

I didn't click on this story to read about Wiggins. I knew there would be a McLemore update buried under it, and that was what I was really interested in. Just a heads up for the fine people at LJW.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Can you imagine what kind of insanity would take place if Wilt Chamberlain was a high school senior now?

Steve Corder 1 year, 5 months ago

None! Wilt would sell his service to Europe at multiples of what any school could think to offer. He wouldn't mess with college ball.

Rian Ankerholz 1 year, 5 months ago

And if he wanted to go out for basketball!

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 5 months ago

Ahh, this would actually cause the NBA to change the rules to allow players out of high school again.

But who knows, Wilt might be more of a track guy, or a volleyball guy :)

RCJHTOTHEGRAVE 1 year, 5 months ago

Both the Harrison Twins, Dakari Johnson, Julius Randle, and Young have big egos. I think the Harrison Twins and Dakari said they could beat Micheal Jordan in his prime in a one on one basketball game. I'm gonna laugh my head off when Kentucky becomes the lakers of college basketball. As far as Kansas goes, if they get another big 12 title for 10 straight, I'm satisfied enough with this young team.

archercc 1 year, 5 months ago

The headline must have been written by a clairvoyant. The concept of a prospect being "close" to a decision when they are running out of time, who would have guessed that?

I'm going to call it, you heard it here first boys and girls: Wiggins will decide before the deadline passes. Yep, nobody else knows that for sure but me.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

There's no rule that states that a player has to commit to a school before the end of the spring signing period. You're probably right that he'll commit by the end and he'll sign an LOI and fax it in like most kids do. But if he doesn't then the scholarship offers are not going to be rescinded. Instead he will commit verbally to a school and then sign some other kind of financial aid agreement to accept his basketball scholarship.

I'd say that it's 60-40 at best that he signs an LOI.

RCJHTOTHEGRAVE 1 year, 5 months ago

I heard Andrews parents are going to be happy wherever he goes. they just have a preference towards florida state.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope he doesn't read these message boards or he'd never come to KU.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

i haven't been on any of the other message boards ( 'cause I'm not a troll and I don't care about them ) - but i would imagine they are much like ours. The majority of fans want him, some of us (yep, us) could not care less.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Probably UK boards are a lot more arrogant because SERIOUSLY what recruit that they want DON'T they get?!?!?!

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Last year they failed to recruit an invite to the tourney.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 5 months ago

You're all right of course except I doubt Florida St has basketball message boards! Now do they have football message boards? I can only imagine what those are like!

James Kiernan 1 year, 5 months ago

I wish Kansas fans on the boards would lose phrases like "Calisleazy" and "Drewche". Makes the rest of us look childish. Are other fanbases this immature? The only interaction I have with other fans is on ESPN.com as I don't go to other schools boards.

dylans 1 year, 5 months ago

Spot on ralster, this board is very tame, it's nice. Mixed sites are always more aggressive. And the censorship here is at times over the top (I don't want to say anything too critical or it will be removed by the nazis).

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 5 months ago

"In our top story today Andrew Wiggens is close to making a decision about making a decision as to where he is going to decide to play college basketball". " Andrews decision to announce the decision has not been decided at this time". Cub reporter monkee had an extremely difficult time deciding to run this story. RCJH KAAAAAUOOOOO!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

ANDREW'S DECISION TIME:

1] THE EASY CHOICE - Go to FSU, be "The Man", be comfortable with modified expactations due to the lack of quality support talent, make family happy, nice comfort zone.

2] THE MODERATE CHOICE - Go to North Carolina, got into the recruiting late, nice team, nice coach, nice conference but is it really enough?

3] THE HARD CHOICE - Go to UK - Don't think Mom likes Cal, don't think Dad likes all the competition, tremendous pressure to not only win but go 40-0, could be an "ego meltdown", not this kid's style to bask in the limelight.

4] THE GAMBLING CHOICE - Go to KU - Uncertainty over NCAA, uncertainty over five new starters, strength program a plus, JO JO and Wayne a plus, HCBS a plus, weather most matches that of Canada so it would be just like home.

After this thorough analysis, my conclusion........not a friggin' clue!!!!!!!!!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 5 months ago

The gambling choice, funny, because the article made me shake my head when I read there's a Las Vegas betting line. We get exposed to the seedy underside of agents/runners/aau coaches this week, and then I read there's a betting line on where a kid goes to college. Do you think any gamblers might try to get at this kid to make a quick buck too?

VaJay 1 year, 5 months ago

I have to disagree with saying "not this kid's style to bask in the limelight". After listening to many of his quotes about how good his game is & seeing him wait longer than just about anyone to commit - I think he likes all the attention. His ego unfortunately fits in well at UK.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Time and again, I keep feeling like UNC's the best choice for him.

hawktalker5 1 year, 5 months ago

I find the people who say if Wiggins reads these boards and messages he wouldnt come here, so if your logic is correct he isnt going to UNC either, out of boredom i trolled a few boards over there and funny thing is they are saying the exact same things as most of us. If this is the case the only is Kentucky were they seem to think he is already committed to them. Something i find interesting myself being investigative and all is i looked at who Wiggins follows a couple of Ku players on twitter but doesnt follow any Uk players, i found that interesting but im not reading into it to much.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

talker- There was a tweet a while back during the McD's AA where Randle was hounding Wiggins on twitter with trash. Wiggins said, "He never shuts up..." I don't think he likes Randle all that well. In fact, Wiggins said, "I can't sleep."

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Ummm, I'm pretty sure he's friends w/ Kennedy Meeks of UNC too though. And you throw in that he'd play 2 vs. FSU and his grandomother's nearby and they're not in "start over" mode like we are or he's not "the only one" like it would be in FSU or "one of too many" like it would be at UK and it's EXTREMELY easy to see a decision for UNC to be made.

andrewJHWK 1 year, 5 months ago

Does anyone know if this Rodney Blackstock guy is associated with Rival Sports Management in Los Angeles? From their twitter account and Ben McLemore's twitter, Ben has signed with them. This is the same agency that got the Morris Twins and Thomas Robinson to sign on. Things might look worse for KU if Mr. Blackstock works for Rival.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

Don't believe he is associated with Rivals at all. He wishes.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

I can only imagine who is falling over themselves to get at this family friend, "host family mom." I don't understand why these people expose themselves to this messy scene. Next thing you know this "host mom" will be cited this time next year for something or having some connection to someone in the bball recruiting world.

Why can't these people close to the recruits keep their mouths shut or at best request anonymity? They have a reason for doing this. If they had the recruit's best interest at heart, they would keep their mouths shut and stay away from the recruiting world or people popping up for something about the recruit.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

I have no facts to back this up and it may not be true at all in this case. Usually, host families like the one hosting Andrew Wiggins aren't hurting for money and are not easily bought because they usually have a kid of their own in the same school the kid they are hosting goes to or the mom or dad work at the school. Picture the family in the Blindside, but not multimillionaires, probably middle to upper-middle class family.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

Nope- In fact, they have a 5,000 sq ft home. That would be even more reason to keep my mouth shut. There are other motives too than money.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Pretty much what I figured. I'm guessing the family either has a direct connection to the Wiggins family prior to hosting Andrew or they have a kid already at the school, or one or both of the parents work at the school, or a combination of the 3. That pretty much confirms for me that the family is worth low 7 figure-high 6 figures so money wouldn't be a factor for them.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 5 months ago

Truehawk I completely agree. Why can't people just keep their mouths SHUT.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

What's interesting, her DOB, address, and property value are all public record. Go figure and an easy target for some scumbag looking for an advantage with Wiggins.

Oh I'm just being a conspiracy theorist. There's nothing to anything that happens to these athletes. Goofy me...

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

I suspect andrew has known for many months where he was going. He has just waited to be last... as per advice.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

Sounds like Cecil B. DeCalipari at work, doesn't it??

JayDocMD 1 year, 5 months ago

When you're the best player, there's really two options when choosing a school:

• sign first: be the Pied Piper, bringing other strong recruits aboard
  • sign last: see which players leave/return and see what happens with the coaching carousel

I commend Wiggins for choosing the smartest option for someone in his postion.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

For the next class it sounded like it was going to be closer to the 1st. I think I read that Tyus Jones wanted to commit before the Fall Signing Period.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

JayDocMD,

I have some hints.

Its not sign first.

Its sign last, but not to see which players leave and what happens with the coaching carousel. The players that were leaving KU, UK, and FSU have been known for a long time. And Self, Cal, and Leonard aren't going anywhere.

So think about what that leaves.

JayDocMD 1 year, 5 months ago

It's been anything but a sure thing who would stay/go at UK. And what if Popavich busted a cerebral artery mid Craig "Purple Pants" Sager halftime interview and the Spurs came calling after Self? Quite a bit has settled in the last month since the ink dried on Pitino's tattoo.

As far as other motivation for delaying a decision, for players like Wiggins, cash will always be available - early, late and everywhere in between. But as we saw with BMac, the money is really with the agents scrambling for a piece of the NBA rookie contract and less so where they'll play college ball for one year. If a player or their family wants to go that route, its available no matter what stage of recruitment.

Yide 1 year, 5 months ago

I believe the wait is driven by free advertising for AW's "brand".

ESPN articles on front page on NCAAM page, articles in local newspapers, radio and television air time. He has been advised to wait for business reasons to increase his "brand" exposure.

He most likely has known where is he playing at college for a while.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

After reading about this recruitment "saga" for the past month, my gut feeling it is between FSU and UK. I think KU and NC are out of the picture. Think of it this way....at least we won't be second again.

Hey, LJW, maybe some articles about the kids we DO HAVE would be a good idea, don't you think!!????????

Scott Smetana 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope he goes to UK over FSU. He'll blend in at FSU. It will be fun to watch Calisleazy squirm when he can't get his superstar team to win. I can hear it already... "Freshmen playing like Freshmen."

eric poncharello 1 year, 5 months ago

Cobb sounds like a really good guy just doing what any white blooded American would do in the corporate world. Not like he went to any stripper bars and acted a fool, he's a real man. RIGHT!!

Robert Brock 1 year, 5 months ago

This kid is a terrific player. I wish he would make a choice and get it over with. He is OAD and will not make an impact on college hoops no matter what he does. MAKE A BLOODY DECISION!

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

"Two Things That Might Change AWigs Mind that Has Probably Been Made Up for Over a Year"

1. An ICBM with a MIRV (multiple independent re-entry vehicle for youngsters that don't recall the cold war) targeted at UK, KU, UNC, and FSU.

2. A better deal.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jhawkrulz 1 year, 5 months ago

We would have AW and AWIII, we would just need a 2.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 5 months ago

Notebook ALERT: Wiggins MAY NOT be nearing a decision. You heard it here first.