Thursday, March 14, 2013

Notebook: Rio Adams shines late; Sherron Collins, Alex Smith attend game

Kansas guard Rio Adams defends against Texas Tech guard Daylen Robinson during the second half of the second round of the Big 12 tournament on Thursday, March 14, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Texas Tech

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 91-63 win over Texas Tech on March 14, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jeff Withey, Ben McLemore

Kansas players Jeff Withey and Ben McLemore talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 91-63 victory over Texas Tech on March 14, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-TTU

— Kansas University freshman guard Rio Adams made the most of his five minutes of playing time on Thursday in Sprint Center.

The 6-foot-3 Seattle native, who scored just 16 points total during the regular season, erupted for a career-high 11 points off 4-of-5 shooting (2-of-2 from three) in the Jayhawks’ 91-63 rout of Texas Tech.

“It was something I’ve been working on in practice and it showed up in the game,” Adams said after Thursday’s late-game scoring spree.

“A lot of shooting, working on my technique and getting right for next year,” Adams added when asked for more details on what’s been going on at practice.

“I’m starting to become a lot more comfortable on the floor,” he said. “I’ve learned from watching the older guys and taking the experiences we have in practice and putting them in the game.”

Adams agreed with a reporter’s assertion that he was “in a zone.”

“It feels good,” he said, “to let my coach know I can give something when he needs it to keep us going, just a little bit of energy. We don’t have a weak link on our team. That’s what makes us a great team. I went out and had fun.”

Adams said he’s happy to be a Jayhawk despite the fact he entered having played just 77 minutes in 21 games.

“Definitely,” he said. “This program is all about waiting your turn. Right now I’m waiting my turn. It’s all about adjusting. I’ve got to adjust. That’s what I’m doing right now. I’m trying to find my way and making sure I’m comfortable when I do what I do.

“It’s been a decent year, a great learning experience. I’m happy with it. I’m definitely happy here.”

Third meeting vs. ISU: KU’s 6:30 p.m. semifinal foe is Iowa State, a team the Jayhawks defeated, 97-89, in overtime on Jan. 9 in Allen Fieldhouse and again, 108-96, in OT on Feb. 25 in Hilton Coliseum.

Ben McLemore banked in a three to force overtime in the first game. Elijah Johnson had 39 points in the second game. That’s the game in which the Big 12 office admitted officiating mistakes were made at the end of the game, ostensibly referring to a no-call on a possible charge by Elijah Johnson into Georges Niang.

The officials also apparently awarded a foul committed by Jeff Withey to Kevin Young late in the game.

“I just play basketball. I don’t worry about calls,” Withey bristled, asked about that situation by a reporter from Iowa.

Told Iowa State’s players have a chip on their shoulder, Withey said: “We have a chip on our shoulder, too. We want to win this thing, too. Every team is a dangerous team. We’ve got to come ready every day.

“We’ve always been a target. Everybody wants to play against us. It’s nothing new. It was the same last year, the year before that, the year before that. We’re ready. If we come to play, we should win.”

Withey was asked if KU-ISU was a “rivalry.”

“I wouldn’t say we have a rivalry going. We are used to it. They can keep on talking. It’ll be a fun game to play.”

KU coach Bill Self was asked about ISU still complaining about the officiating in Ames, Iowa.

“I can see how they could feel that way because certainly there was a call or no-call that got a lot of attention, really both late that we benefited from,” Self said. “The thing about it is ... as a coach, I learned this from coach (Eddie) Sutton who has done this a long time. Over the course of a season, over a course of a career, those calls balance out over time.

“We’ve lost some tough games that came down to one call late, maybe not a bang-bang play like that one was. I understand their players and how they would feel. The bottom line is that’s not on us. They can use whatever as motivation which they should do. Our guys just play. They don’t have anything to do with how the game is called. I don’t have anything to do with how the game is called. They’ll just go out and play. The officials in our league are pros. We’ve got the best our league has calling the games. It should be a fun game. It’ll be hotly contested. I’m sure both teams will get after it.”

Bombs away: Iowa State hit 17 of 41 threes versus KU in Ames; 14 of 38 in Lawrence.

“They will spread it, set a ton of ball screens, play pick and pop, drive and kick. They are great at what they do,” Self said. “The negate our biggest strength by taking Jeff (Withey) away form the basket. It’s the way it should be. We’ve had two great games. There’s no reason we shouldn’t have a third.”

Practice makes perfect: Some of the Jayhawks said they’ve had a couple rough practices of late in the wake of Saturday’s 23-point loss at Baylor.

“We practice 80 minutes and they think it’s cranked up,” Self said with a smile. “The intensity has been good. This time of year it’s easier to yell at them than practice hard because bodies are tired. Practices are no different than what they’d normally be. We turned it up in practice the last couple days. They are not long or grueling.”

This, that: KU freshman walk-on Evan Manning sat in the stands instead of on the bench because of a rule limiting the number of players and staff members on the bench at 17. KU’s walk-ons will take turns sitting out games the rest of the postseason. ... Former KU players Sherron Collins, Walt Wesley and Tyrel Reed attended as did new Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith.

Stats, facts: KU (27-5) has won 27 games seven straight seasons. ... KU is 18-4 all-time at Sprint Center, including 4-0 this season. ... Self’s record is 296-58 at KU and 503-163 overall. ... KU is 25-4 versus Texas Tech. ... KU’s 66-percent shooting was best ever in the Big 12 tournament. KU’s previous best was 61.4-percent effort against Texas A&M in last season’s quarterfinals. ... KU’s 91 points were most in the Big 12 championship since the 94-69 win over Missouri in 2004. The 28-point victory was the largest margin of victory since the 90-50 win over Texas Tech in the 2002 semifinals. ... Ben McLemore’s 24 points were more than his two-game total of 23 against Texas Tech during the regular season. ... Jamari Traylor posted a career-high seven points, topping his six points against Michigan State on Nov. 13, 2012. ... With his three blocked shots, Jeff Withey moved into the No. 2 spot for blocks in a season in KU history with 127 rejections. He also owns the top spot with his 140 blocks last season.

Comments

Born_And_Raised_A_KU_Fan 1 year, 5 months ago

It would seem Rio is moving past the immature tweets and is finally realizing what his elders already know.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

There's an evolving maturity in how he handles media / social media. Nice response and outlook by him in the article above. Maybe he FINALLY gets it. Hopefully, Bill didn't need to talk to him that much and it was more the Senior G's and past G's that talked to him about how things work if you're not an Elite recruit like McLemore.

MinorThreat 1 year, 5 months ago

He'll be a player next year no doubt.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 5 months ago

If he's not tripping over himself and turning the ball over.

I'm glad Rio had a good shooting game, and got some affirmation. If the game had still been tight, he wouldn't have had the chance to take the shots he took. One of the things that all players learn was also expressed in Coach's comment about the ISU calls. Games are often decided by 1 or 2 possessions, so EVERY possession must be seen as valuable. The W's depend on it.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

There will be fierce competition at the guard spots for playing time next year: Tharpe, AW3, Adams, Frankamp, Seldon, Greene and Frank Mason.

Some of these players will play at the 3 but I think Self might want to redshirt at least one player.

woowoowoo01 1 year, 5 months ago

I still think he's transferring. With what we have coming in, he's not going to see the floor next year either.... I hope I'm completely wrong because the kids can play but I think he's leaving.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

I see no reason to believe (a) that he's going to transfer, or (b) that he wouldn't play next year if he sticks around and develops his game. People said the same thing about RussRob at the end of his freshman season when Mario, Brandon, and Micah Downs were all about to arrive with Sherron set to follow the next year; yet he ended up starting the next three years.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

Did you read the article above? Rio sounds to me like a player that's all in. Sounds like the coaching staff got through to him--all coaches' talking points he's repeating. I also think he's got the skills to contribute to next year's team no matter who comes in.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 5 months ago

Rio will have experience that the newcomers won't. I wouldn't be surprised to see the newcomers go thru a "Rio" experience.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

Not much experience...probably on par with Tharp's first season but he will know the system and having practiced against his teammates this year should have toughened him up.

Now to see if he can match the improvement.

hawk316 1 year, 5 months ago

Sure sounds to me like he's coming back.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks for playing those reserves, coach. Oh, and thanks for picking up their jerseys, too!

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 5 months ago

Rio will see the floor next year and it'll be in a Kansas uniform. He's getting it...It takes a while for the best to get it and Rio will have a leg up on them. Just wait and see.

mikehawk 1 year, 5 months ago

So glad it sounds like Rio is starting to "get it." Say what you want, but the kid has a great looking body. He is long and big. I think if he continues to learn, and yes...mature between the ears, he could be a very good player at Kansas.

Keep yapping ISU. Be careful what you wish for. Where I come from out in western Kansas, we like to say "let sleeping dogs lay." I guess in Iowa they lean more toward the "talk is cheap" way of doing things. It isn't easy to beat a time three times in one year, but it gets easier when the opponent won't give you any respect and keeps talking smack.

Michael Luby 1 year, 5 months ago

Get Sherron a big afro wig and put him in the game!

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

Great to see Rio have a good game! Especially after his last outing, when he flopped around like a fish on the dock. He's obviously an "in the flow" type player. Hope he gets a few more opportunities to get "in the flow" this year.

Kevin Jenkins 1 year, 5 months ago

Finally our future players look good.. And coach let them do their thing. Maybe next year they will achieve like KU should. No negative energy.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

Seriously, Adams makes one comment in the article above and we're going to proclaim that he is definitely not transferring? We would simply ignore the flood of negativity .. or better stated .. erratic comments by Adams this season?

Let's be realistic here. Yesterday changes nothing. His comments from yesterday are simply a little positivity. That's all. And they were comments that followed a positive performance.

On his performance, it was pretty apparent (to me) that in Adams' mind, it was all about Rio Adams. That's how it's been on the floor all season for him. The biggest indicator to me is the over dribbling, the repeated dribbling between his legs (even though he seems to lose control of it many times when he does it), and the obvious "searching out a shot" literally all the time. To me, he looks different on the court in his approach to the game compared to every other player on the team.

That being said, some of that can be a huge positive once he finds a role on the team. He isn't shy about wanting to score. And my guess is once he has an established role, he can relax a bit. He clearly has a scorer's mentality. But we'll see if he's here next season.

I am and have been in the camp that it was a battle between Rio and Tharpe for a scholarship, given our recruiting class. While I like Tharpe, I think Adams looks to be more talented overall. We'll see how it shakes out.

It is completely realistic to think that Tharpe, Adams, and White could be our starting perimeter players next season. But if Adams isn't ahead of Tharpe, the decision for Adams will come in the form of competition from Selden. I doubt Adams will stay if he doesn't think he'll start. We'll see.

Phil Leister 1 year, 5 months ago

An 18 year old kid, living halfway across the country from home, who's shown some immaturity and growing pains. But now, he seems to be getting it, getting comfortable, and actually plays some positive minutes for KU. Yet you still feel the need to break out the douche baggery and give him a hard time, accusing him of dribbling too much and being too self absorbed. Get off it, man. Show some respect or don't say anything at all.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

"I am taking a rocket ship to the moon tomorrow" -- right, because I said it, it's true. All other evidence would suggest I can't and won't do it. But because I said it now .. today .. it must be true.

Gullible might be one word. Of course, that's not saying that Adams hasn't had his epiphany. There's just not enough evidence to support it yet. Makes sense not to jump two feet in the bucket just yet.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't think it's "B.S." Obviously there are reasons to think that Rio isn't happy at KU. But I do think it's just kind of tacky, in a public forum, to go out of your way to make the case that a freshman kid is about to transfer or somehow be run out of the program. He's just a kid going through growing pains like all of us have. There's no solid evidence that he is or isn't going to transfer, so maybe we should all have the humility to let him figure things out and not constantly be putting the idea out there that every KU freshman who doesn't get PT is likely to jump ship.

Jack Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

Grammy ~ WHAT!!! You actually got banned on 2 accounts? I find that virtually impossible to believe. And maturity level ~ can't imagine anyone possibly having anything to say about YOUR maturity level Embarrassed KU fan ~ aww, forget it, just too easy.

kkoenig 1 year, 5 months ago

paragraph three -- spot on analysis. i'm inclined to think that sort of "i'm going shoot the ball not matter what" attitude will make Adams a candidate for Self to help him on his way elsewhere.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm sick of insinuations like this being made about every player who struggles as a freshman. Most of them go through this. Self recruited Rio; I think Self will stick with him.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

Insinuations? I don't think anyone hinted at malice. God forbid someone having a different opinion.

Didn't HCBS recruit Royce Woolridge? The sophomore is averaging over 11 points a game for Washington State and just put up 19 against UCLA and 25 against USC. How about Milton Doyle, Micah Downs, Tyrone Applegate, Quintrell Thomas and so on.

It's part of today's game. Thomas and Royce would most likely have made real contributions but did not want to wait.

ku1otaku 1 year, 5 months ago

I would tend to agree with HEM. I'm still not convinced that Adams is not transferring. It is easy to be a little more positive after a game like that, but when the dust settles I think he is still going to look for what he preceives to be "greener pastures" (i.e., more playing time).

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Eh....don't agree. I could see him still getting equal minutes spelling either one.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 5 months ago

HEM, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. His tweets this year showed that he was 18. Thank God, I didn't tweet all of my thoughts at 18. I like what I heard from him yesterday. I haven't always liked what I saw this year when he was on the court. But I didn't like EJ as freshman. Never thought that Jeff would see a day where he averaged more than 3 minutes of playing time. So I am not the best judge of basketball talent. I believe Rio is going to do very well in a Jayhawk uniform in the years to come. I think HCBS will be able to play a 8- or 9-man rotation liked he has done in the past at Oral, Tulsa, U of I and Kansas. His has shown a fondness for a 5-guard and 4-bigs rotation. I think that Rio, Tharpe, Selden will all see the court next year.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree with most of what you said HEM although I'm not sure how much of Adams being the one getting most of the shots when he's out there isn't because is significantly more talented than the other players on the floor because it's usually him and 4 other guys who did not receive an offer to a school better than a low major program.

I also I agree that one good game and a little bit of positivity don't guarantee that Adams comes back either. I think a lot of where Adams finishes his career hinges on where Bill Self sees Adams fitting in on next years team. If Self thinks Adams can be a major contributor next year, then I think Adams sticks around and if Self thinks Adams would benefit from a redshirt or won't be a major contributor next year, then Adams very well could transfer back west somewhere. I think his size will give him an advantage in getting minutes because he can be the combo guard that Self likes that can also run point on occasion. I don't see Adams starting over Tharpe or Seldon next year, but I do think he'll have a shot to be the first guard off the bench to sub for either of those two players. If Adams is accepting of that role on next year's team, I think he stays and if not he'll be gone.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

Rio definitely did over handle the ball and played with a "get mine" attitude, but I don't think that necessarily means wrong or bad mindset. I'm sure he realized he wasn't gonna get many more chances this season with the number of remaining games dwindling and the probability of blowout games (that he might get into) dwindling even more. Freshman exuberance/anxiety.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

Don't forget Frankamp, Frank Mason and Brannen Greene.. Greene will probably move to the 3 spot but but was a 2 in HS. Competition will be fierce for PT. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone to transfer and/or red shirt next year.

LngTimeFan 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope Rio stays, learns, and contributes when on the floor. But, I sense he thinks passage of time will get him on the floor, hope he doesn't overlook learning, working hard and playing the role he is assigned in the manner instructed by HCBS

magaggie 1 year, 5 months ago

Better keep those uniforms. They won us the game.

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Goofy looking uniforms, in my opinion. But, hey, wear pink earmuffs if that's what it takes to keep the magic of winning alive at this stage of the season.

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

As for Rio, what we saw yesterday bodes well and ill for his future in the program. As we have all suspected, there is a very talented player buried within the kid. But if he does not distribute and share the ball, he will soon upset the applecart of Bill Self Basketball. Nights when he enters the hot zone we might marvel at his scoring and stealing contributions; but game in and out, if he fails to share the ball he soon will ride the pine. Early on, I was an outspoken proponent for him to glean more playing time. At this stage of the long season, I better understand why he has not earned those minutes. Bill Self has demonstrated an appreciation for very determined hard-headed guards. For one more season, at least, I think the coaching staff will have its hands full reformulating Rio's mindset.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

An awesome post, coach. A big reason why I come here.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

A little easier to share when you've got the starting 5 out there as opposed to sharing w/ Wesley, Roberts, etc.

I think Rio's taking his cues from Elijah and looking to be considered an either/or type of guard.

ParisHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Just looking at last night, I saw what HEM and you did: Rio contributed individually but did not contribute to making the team better.

A few times when he took quick shots I thought he was going to be taken out, but each time he scored and Self just smiled.

We'll see next year. Back to this season, AW3 got good minutes with major rotation players: that was a real plus.

Adam Collins 1 year, 5 months ago

What I like most about what I just read: Jeff Withey seems pissed off. That can only mean bad things for Iowa State.

AirCapJay 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope so. I think Withey played without energy the last two games, especially the Baylor beat-down. He better bring it today.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Agreed. I don't know of too many times where Withey sounds perturbed coming into a game and then doesn't pull through with a big game.

He got punked in that last game both by the refs and Niang.....of coursre, some of the bad reffing was on the part OF Niang.

Maybe he'll get the First Team All Big XII respect vs. who was something like a Top 60 or 70 freshman.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

All the complaints before the game about anticiapting those uniforms yet I would argue that ours looked WAAAAYYYYY better than the ugly TTech Under Armour ones!!!

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 5 months ago

HEM view was spot on. I be the first to admit I loved watching Rio make shots and get to stay in the game. Simple truth is he was playing 1 on 5. He wasn't out there to get his team involved. It was a "watch me moment". I understand that if we were down by 4 when he was put in and given instructions to "go in and get us some points" which has been the case at times in the past. T. Taylor, as the most recent example. I'm not trying to knock on the kid.

What HCBS would be looking for yesterday was go in the game, play sound hard defense. Play your role in running the offense and take care of the ball. You think after his success yesterday Rio will get into the next game and not try to light it up again? Team ball is Kansas ball, " our go to guy is the open man", NC's 2008.

I like Rio, I hope he "get's it". I am really encouraged about his future. As a team player. And if I'm wrong and coach told Rio to go in and take as many shot's as you can, I'm wrong and my apologizes to all.

Steve Corder 1 year, 5 months ago

I think the one-and-done issue will ultimately diminsh to a scant few. The NBA development league is financially growing more lucrative. The instruction and playing time exceeds the college game.

If money is the issue (the poor urban raised kid with family on welfare and section 8 housing) then more of these high school kids will skip the one year college game and the perfunctory attendance in class.

The way I see it, the only way the NBA can save money and the risk of drafting on potential of a OAD (name your favorite former OAD college player now in the D league or seeing vertually no NBA playing time) is to develop a version of a minor league system. Kind of like trying on that shoe before you buy it?

I could be all wrong, but reducing the draft risk to a NBA team is the ultimate objective. It's always about the money.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree, Brandon Jennings will be the exception not the rule for the foreseeable future in regards to skipping college in the OAD era and being successful in the NBA.

702Hawk 1 year, 5 months ago

The two reason that the NBA team rather mine colleges than the D league or oversees is that the NCAA does a great job of getting the most exposure possible. And that Kids coming from colleges are bringing in a fan base. I am sure that the majority of Kansas fans are now fans of the Phoenix Suns. Before the Morris Twins were there I wouldn't have watch one of their games but now I will.

ku1otaku 1 year, 5 months ago

Here's problem with the idea that NBDL will be come a better route for the "one-and-done" type players than college. Branding. Any kid who fits in that "one-and-done" mold is not only trying to get to the league but is also trying to develop a brand for themselves. The college game is a much better way to develop your followers then the NBDL. Until the NBA puts more of an emphasis on those in the NBDL from a branding standpoint the college route is always going to be the better system.

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm happy for ISU they get another crack at us. Yes, bad calls balance out, but we did catch a couple of major breaks at the end of that one. But I remember 7 or 9 years ago (I think) down at Texas Tech when Aaron Miles got a rebound with very little time left and a 1-2 point lead, got mugged and then called for traveling, TT scored a winning bucket and won the game. That was pretty much the end of the season there (we lost in 1st or 2nd round in NCAA).

B-Mac could go pro. But one more year in a KU uniform will definitely make him a superstar like Pierce has become. B-Mac can flat out play. Another year will just make him tougher and stronger. These guys have to realize that the investment today will pay off in much higher cashflows down the line. Don't glom off on a big contract now and turn into Julian Wright or a Selby (although I still don't see why folks thought those guys were superstar material).

Big O was a solid player, but by no means an All-American. Yet his size and his consistency made him a terrific off the bench player for the Jazz for a very long time. I'd love to see every KU player make it big in the NBA. But the NCAA as a whole has got to get a handle on these one & done guys because so many are hurting themselves by going pro too early.

actorman 1 year, 5 months ago

There's no chance that Ben will be back next year.

And to paraphrase what someone said so brilliantly earlier, although $50 million is a lot more than $5 million, $5 million is a life-changer to someone who has nothing. So no one can begrudge Ben leaving after one season to help his family.

TexiCaliHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

My initial take on those 'Blame it on Rio' moments I saw yesterday was that it looked like Bill was putting him out there to 'audition' for a potential transfer to a new school -- I hope I'm wrong as we've all seen great examples of immature Freshmen who go on to become great players/leaders during their 4-year transformation at KU. Most of the time; however, those 'projects' took place without the pressure of having to make space for such highly touted incoming HS players. This is where you really see whether the player truly 'gets it' and demonstrates it with the patience to wait his turn (Russ Rob, T Rel., et. al.), or whether they simply cannot overcome their own personal ego for the sake of what's best for the TEAM and decide to move on. I really like Rio's speed/intensity on Defense and 'attack' mentality on Offense; however, both have to be 'harnessed' appropriately to ensure we obtain the best of both worlds and not some undisciplined, out of control 'Tasmanian Devil' who turns positive traits into negative ones. Personally, I hope we see Rio really 'breakthrough' next year.

therealjohnleach 1 year, 5 months ago

Steven Mathew 1 year, 5 months ago

I for one think Iowa St. is not going to have an easy time against us for two reasons. The first reason being that our starters are more rested than theirs as they had to play a tough game against Oklahoma. The second reason is that they rely on their 3-point shooting abilities to win the game. And we all know that 3-point shooting requires strong legs, and I believe their legs are fatigued.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

HEM stated above in detail my take on Adam's showing yesterday. I posted it as a question on another thread at the end of the OSU/Baylor game last eve. I think Rio was looking to chuck up a shot each time he had the ball. That's OK elsewhere, but in HCBS system is not gaining endearment or momentum for increasing PT. Maybe an audition for a transfer-who knows. But the depth chart next year will have increased competition at the guard spots, & competition this year was too much for his ego (tweets) to bear. If you can't do anything else except talk about it, then, IMO, you aren't a fit for the situation. Some kids don't accept criticism well either. I dunno, maybe Bill is up for another Tyshawn project, but it was apparent yesterday his quickness to get off a shot & not reacting to the floor spacing or the movements of teamates & ball reversal sets, was all about Rio. Next year, Tharpe, Selden, Frankcamp- may become too much for the fragility of Adams demeanor. Maybe I'm way off base, but I think he's gone. Too bad too, cause he's got a lot of talent & could really develope in another year or so, IMO. Some kids are just hard to coach, depending a lot on distractions, social circumstances, girls, whatever. Oft times kids don't realize that all these things take time & energy to evolve-they want it all, now, ie., instant success. Life is never that way.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

This is quite a lot of character assassination based on very little information.

Jack Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks for posting ~ it is a great read.

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks gobs, konkey. The very best article I have ever read regarding our current Jayhawk coach.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

Most of what you refer to as character assassination is based on his inability to keep his comments private. He's looking for approval by doing so & this is merely an obseravation/opinion based on such. I personally don't follow twitterers, facebookers, or Oprah, but all season long others have posted his ramblings about no PT, no appreciation, moving on elsewhere, etc. Is generally a huge waste of energy & in many instances conterproductive to do so. Immaturity is always an issue with young adults & some outgrow it faster than others. Even coach Self has made references to his tweets. Spend more time in the books or in the gym. A more mature outlook would be results based on work & effort to play within a system, which he does not openly display when on the floor. This is only opinion(s) of board rats-not a homicide-so a different choice of words might benefit relevance of your comment.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Maybe my choice of words was off the mark. I just grow weary of everyone here pontificating about the character and "ego" of an 18 year-old kid based on some tweets, and declaring that he will or even should transfer to a different college. It just strikes me as unseemly.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

The word character was also your wordage, which is again an off the mark assumption if making a reference to my posts. But the quotation "ego" is puzzling. When a teenager comes to this program it is generally common knowledge that many have been the guy at the HS they came from. Being just another guy is not easy for some & we'll see what we see going forward. Remember when it quacks...it's generally...just an opinion.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Rio Adams was a star player back in Seattle and was the player of the year in his class I believe. It's not at all for a player like Adams to have a little bit of an ego because he was a big fish in a small pond in HS like a lot kids are. When he came to college, he became a small fish in a huge pond and that can be a blow to anybody's ego when they realize they are no longer the best player on the floor anymore. Adams publicly has not handled the blow to his ego nearly as maturely as he could have and it has caused a lot of speculation about his future. Can you honestly say that when someone like Adams has on multiple occasions publicly stated his unhappiness with his situation this season not believe there is no chance of him leaving after this year? We all know that Bill Self has a plan for Adams that will result in good things for Adams, but not everybody has the patience to wait their turn for those things to happen.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder if Melvin Weatherwax will be incognito tonight or have bodyguards? LOL. Think he'll be a no-show?

championhawks 1 year, 5 months ago

Everyone is jumping on Rio as not being a team player. He was in for the last 5 minutes, mostly with the end of the bench walk-ons. That is not the same as playing the rest of the game. If it was Tyler Self throwing up those shots everyone would be cheering for him and wanting him to throw up more, even if they weren't close to going in. If Rio starts chucking up shots during meaningful minutes and is being a "me first" players, then go ahead and bash him. But to bash him for what he did during the last 5 minutes of scrub time in a blow-out is ridiculous. Hopefully, Rio will stay and be a team player while contributing major minutes next year. I think he can bring a lot to this team, especially how young our guards will be.

actorman 1 year, 5 months ago

I can see both sides on this. While I agree that it was scrub time and hard to truly gauge what someone will do when it matters, I also think that when Self puts players in at any point in the game (generally with the exception of the walk-ons), he wants to see how they'll do in his system. I think that is especially true for players who have a chance to get big minutes next year.

And I share the concerns of a lot of people, that it appeared as if Rio was hogging the ball and not making any attempt to involve his teammates in the flow of the game. He seemed to be playing differently than everyone else out there, including the walk-ons.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Agree with most of your points except for the part about EJ's game being "timid." Last year's Final Four run should have put any questions to rest in that regard.

ParisHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Admirable post, and not just for the "Rio brings with him the opportunity for CS to improve his coaching skills." (Although I hope my children don't start mentioning all the opportunities they bring for me to improve my parenting skills ;) )

I don't think I've been a Rio basher, but I did express my surprise at how much he looked for his own shot last night. Not sure what it means.

Anyway, hats off to your post.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

Good post DS. Absolutely on the fence plus is a huge talent which is not at all in question. No on wants to see him go. Makes another boot camp & he can get meaningful min no doubt. It's all up to him & no one else. Hardships make good people better in time & we shall see. It's always tough when you're away from home & out of the comfort zone the first time, and we won't have much longer till the suspense ends. But bucking heads with the seargent doesn't gain any favors until you finally do it successfully his way.

I'm more curious if there will be a Melvin sighting today...be tough to spot with a shaved head & full beard. Bet Kathy doesn't make the trip!

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Slayr, you have pointed out some super stuff in this post. If the kid can manage to fit himself into Self's system, my o my, what an explosive talent for all of us to look forward to. Seems like a sad investment waste to all concerned if he should up and transfer this summer. That said, I predict that if he stays, there will be one more season of tempestuous touch and go, trial and error, before he and Self "find the way." By years 3 and 4 he just might go down as one of the ten most exciting players ever to don a Jayhawk uniform...even if it is an Adidas loonysuit.

702Hawk 1 year, 5 months ago

This article perfectly explains one of the very basic reasons that HCBS will have Rio in the dog house constantly. http://m.nbcsports.com/content/posnanski-genius-bill-self

Rio is a man who will terrorize opponents on defense and looks to hard for a shot on offense. Those can be great things but they will bug HCBS because they will let the other team get easy baskets too.I do hope he stays but there is going to be a lot of rough moments between him and HCBS.