Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New TV deal expands KU athletics coverage, access

Kansas Athletics and IMG College, along with Time Warner Cable and Kansas City’s Metro Sports, have teamed up on an endeavor that will bring Kansas University sports fans unprecedented access to KU athletics during the coming year and well into the future.

The deal, which will provide live coverage of KU sporting events to homes throughout Kansas on various media outlets, makes KU the final Big 12 Conference school to sign a contract concerning its Tier-3 television rights, which were a sticking point for the Big 12 throughout the conference realignment movement during the past couple of summers.

Texas is affiliated with the ESPN-backed Longhorn Network; Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech have deals with Fox; and Iowa State and West Virginia have agreements with Mediacom and ROOT in their respective markets.

KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger said the deal to expand KU’s broadcasting efforts had been in the works for a while and added that being the last university to sign on the dotted line did not hurt KU in any way.

“This is Kansas,” Zenger told the Journal-World on Monday. “And Kansas ought to be doing something like this. When Time Warner Cable approached us with this concept, we knew, if done right, it could greatly benefit Kansas Athletics and our fan base. We are eager to work with Metro Sports to bring this exciting concept to life.”

Beginning with the 2013-14 school year, Metro Sports will televise more than 50 live KU events on the revamped Jayhawk Network and also provide 600 hours of additional “shoulder” programing, which will include pre- and post-game shows for Jayhawk football and men’s basketball games, a weekly magazine-style show, “Hawk Talk” radio show simulcasts, a social-media-centered show for fans, live coverage of news conferences, a “Jayhawk Rewind” highlight show, a quarterly “Jayhawk Legends” series and quarterly KU academic specials.

Because of the Big 12 Conference’s television agreement with ESPN and Fox Sports, the live-game broadcasts on Metro Sports will be offered only to viewers in the state and the Kansas City metro area, but the additional shoulder programing will be available to Time Warner’s millions of customers nationwide.

The fact that the Tier-3 deal is a joint effort with an already established network makes it so KU will not be responsible for providing programing 24 hours a day and, instead, will be in a position to enhance its already strong presence in homes across the state.

“This is the backbone of providing Jayhawk fans with access to all of our sports in a way that they’ve never experienced before,” Zenger said of the deal.

Perhaps the best part for KU is that today’s announcement appears to be one that could grow into something bigger and better down the road.

KU administrators Todd Kober, Jim Marchiony and Larry Keating worked closely with Jason Booker, general manager for Jayhawk IMG Sports Marketing, to bring the Jayhawk Network into the modern era and bring more exposure to KU’s entire athletic department.

“This will extend the Jayhawk brand significantly while providing corporate partners with many new ways to support the Jayhawks and reach one of the most attractive and passionate fan bases in college sports,” Booker said.

During upcoming sports year, the new-and-improved Jayhawk Network will provide coverage of one football game, six men’s basketball games, as many as 16 women’s basketball games, nine volleyball matches, eight baseball games and up to 12 live softball, soccer and track and field events.

Comments

JHWKDW 10 months ago

You know I hate this deal, but I do believe there is a bigger plan down the road with Zenger. I really feel good with him at the helm of KU Athletics.We got to give it time before we can make bigger moves in football, and the fans have to be patient.We need to look at what K-State did with the triple crown that is what we need to do.Like I have said before, look at all the accomplishments like what the Ladies track team did. In addition to the volleyball, both Men's and Women's Basketball team. Even the Softball team and Baseball had winning seasons. In addition we got new fields for soccer, track and softball. Football and Baseball will be next.

I agree with Chris1955 I think we may be considering a move hopefully to the Pac-12 maybe the B1G. Kirk Bohls the U of Texas Reporter, wrote this 2 years ago when Texas was rejected by the Pac, wrote he thought KU, and even KSU may be considered by the Pac-12. I know it had to bother him to write this.

And you know what, all the fans got to be more loyal, and not just focus on Men's Basketball. I appreciate and know the history of Basketball here in Lawrence Ks. But we got to expand our horizons.I do think that the KU fans support the track, but we got to do more. I know I go to a few Baseball and Softball games, I also get to at least 1 football game. KU fans need to go to more athletic events and show we care more about all of KU sports, and do not leave at halftime of a football game, and how about making some noise at football games.

Not saying it about the people who post here, you guys are great, but the rest of the KU fans got to give support to the rest of the sports at KU.

martyks 10 months ago

Okay, so I have one question that KU or anyone could answer. If a KU fan lives in Lawrence, what is the best move, given the priority to watch every second of every game and every show that has something to do with KU basketball? What cable company should we be using? (or which one should we allow to use us?) That's it. Someone answer that one and I'm satisfied.

Big_Dipper 10 months ago

"If" the games aren't shown on all the cable/satellite/google outlets, then yes, this was a huge mistake. Would TWC be that worried about losing subscribers to Google? They didn't do this for Dish, DirecTV, or any other major carrier when they were becoming popular. Based on Matt's comments, I don't think this is the case, and we'll still be able to see our team play.

rschneider 10 months ago

Hard to tell if this is actually a good deal when there's so little information released and when the best the LJW can do is tell people to get "excited" but also "give it more time." Too many unanswered questions - starting with how this was handled.

AaronHawk19 10 months ago

Chill out people. This is a good deal for KU. TW is not just some local cable company. They forked out 3 to 4 billion for the Lakers deal. This will bring greater access to KU non-revenue sports. We are talking about the opening football game that is usually not on TV and the KU games that are normally on the "Jayhawk Network" i.e. the 4 lowest profile regular season games and 2 exhibitions. KU stated yesterday that the basketball games will be available anywhere in the country on ESPN Full Court so for any out of Kansas Jayhawks (like me) there will be NO CHANGE over what currently exists. As for those in Kansas, lets wait and see if the 2 exhibition and 4 regular season games are only on Metro in areas where Metro is not available. If so, those in KC without metro might have to go to a friends house or a bar to watch KU beat Towson by 40....

rschneider 10 months ago

Huge swing and miss by all involved - KU and media. So many questions not addressed or asked, evidently. The fact that all that can be said is, "Give it more time" is awful. KU's created confusion for the sake of dragging this thing out in multiple press releases. And the media has gone along with it. That the concerns about who will get what and how weren't addressed is troubling. This is basically a rewritten press release that doesn't say much.

stubert 10 months ago

sheahon(brain dead)zenger state unprecedented access to k.u. athletics. I'm 78 years old, I've been watching k.u. since the 50's Now I will no longer be able to watch them.Mr. zenger you will go down in history as the xooxoxoxox a.d. of any school in Kansas has ever had. Missouri and k.state still have to be belly laughing. I

konzahawk 10 months ago

It will not matter in a couple of years, anyway. The B16 channel is available on every cable system.

lgregh 10 months ago

just heard on 810 no metro sports no watch.

Robert Brown 10 months ago

It seems strange to me that the value of the deal was not disclosed in the press release. It would be interesting to compare each Big 12 school's Tier 3 deals.

always_correct 10 months ago

Maybe IMG's marketing or KU Athletics international marketing/media relations people should reconsider their approach on these press releases. If you can't tell us all the details now, why release the story? All you've done is confuse people, tarnish the brand and make it look like we're being run by amateurs.

Regardless of whether this deal is good for KU or its fans, you've done a terrible job informing the public.

*This comment is not directed at Matt Tait.

**edit. Okay, maybe I was wrong. Perhaps what is going on here is that KU purposely released this news with vague information because they want KU fans across Kansas (and maybe the US) to get mad and call their television provider asking about it. This will increase the demand, which will then allow TWC/Metro to get television operators to buy the channel.

Lefty54 10 months ago

Lawrence Journal-World and Matt Tait- the sign of a bad newspaper article is one which raises more questions than it answers. Clearly from reading all the comments, the readers are more confused after reading this article than ever. This seems to be a vague, confusing article. Could we get some clarification please?

Steve Hillyer 10 months ago

I'm going to assume this is similar to when TWC had the Royals, Metro Sports produced it and called it RSTN and made it available to other providers throughout the midwest, not sure how this will affect people in other areas of the country. What I remember most though when the TWC had the Royals is it was by far the most amateurish production of any sports broadcast, made high school cable all access channels look like ESPN.

colreader 10 months ago

There are 10,000 Kansas alums here in the state of Colorado. I really want to watch more than 1 KU football game. I hope through DirecTV and/or the new FOX-1 network that we will all be able to, somehow, some way. By the way, AT&T All Access last year had 1 football game online with video, if I remember correctly. All the rest were audio only through the subscription service.

JayhawkRock78 10 months ago

We had great bBall coverage here in Houston last year. I hope this story has holes in it because it sounds like the state of Kansas has better coverage while the rest of the country misses out. If so, it hurts our brand and visibility with recruits.

average 10 months ago

If we believe the Star's version of things:

BBall (and other) games that were on KSMO (62) last year will be moving to Metro Sports (which is only available on TWC and WOW). Fortunately for many of us in Lawrence, they'll still be on WIBW in Topeka. Time to get the ol' antenna rotator working.

Looking at another sports franchise, the Wizards/Sporting soccer club migrated from Metro Sports to KSMO and saw viewership double. Hopefully we don't see viewership halve going the other way.

We aren't the only Big XII school with a similar contract. ISU's contract is with Mediacom, the cable provider in Des Moines and some other Iowa markets. On the other hand... do we want to follow ISU's lead?

Randy Maxwell 10 months ago

Thousands of KU fans flock to sports bars all over the country to watch KU and not on of them gets time Warner Cable trust me. Really bad move

Andy Tweedy 10 months ago

I'm in Omaha, closer than many in western Kansas, and I have no idea if the many KU fans here will be able to watch these extra telecasts. This article raised a lot more questions than it seems to have answered. UGH

5to6 10 months ago

I hope that they paid through the nose, hoping to draw consumers from SureWest and even more so to forestall people switching to Google Fiber. But as bad as TWC is, I know I'm not switching, so unless they find a way to get it on other carriers, I guess I'll be getting some of my life back when this kicks in.

kckuguy 10 months ago

Jim Marchiony told the KC Star that all of the games would be available "state wide". This deal sounds like the deal MU had last year with TWC. Metro Sports did not sub contract the games out and if a fan did not have TWC they couldn't watch several games. I thought that was funny, but with KU this is not funny at all. I have AT&T, so that means I will not be able to watch at least 6 games and I live in KC ? I hope this is just not good reporting by someone and that KU games will be available to all of their fans in the midwest. This sounds like a contract that UMKC would sign, not a blue blood school. We need a follow up story filling in the holes.

jgkojak 10 months ago

So... how does that work for Olathe, where we don't get Time Warner?

lv_jhwk 10 months ago

"When Time Warner Cable approached us with this concept, we knew, if done right, it could greatly benefit Kansas Athletics and our fan base."

Since I'm not seeing any mention of a benefit for the fan base that lives outside of the state borders (or even those without TW), I'm figuring that this was not done right. Would love to know I'm wrong.

Randy Maxwell 10 months ago

Considering there are hundreds of thousands of more KU alumni outside of Kansas it's a ridiculous deal

Mo Mosallaei 10 months ago

It looks like the deal enhances access for the locals and shuts out the out of town Jayhawk fans. I live in San Francisco and I'll be able to watch several other Big 12 schools networks but not KU's.

Paintman 10 months ago

Does Metro Sports have an HD channel? I'm on Wow/Knology/Sunflower/whatever it is now and see that Metro is only a digital channel.

Robert Brown 10 months ago

I think I need a definition of Tier 3 media rights. I pulled an article from several years back indicating that KU had signed an agreement with ESPN Regional to broadcast basketball games. I always thought that was Tier 3 and was impressed that in 2005, just these basketball games were worth $40M over 7 years. That is $5.7M per year in what I thought were Tier 3 rights. The Longhorn Network will average $15M per year over its contract, but are not getting that amount today, so I always liked our model from a financial standpoint.

I assume this new agreement means that there will no longer be an agreement with ESPN regional, which essentially allowed me to see almost any KU basketball game here in Houston. These games would presumably be on this new network which is a cable provider which means I will not be able to see these games which are minor games.

I would have to think that if this ESPN deal was a Tier 3 deal, then this new deal should pay close to $10M/yr for it to maximize potential. Interesting that financial terms were not mentioned in that article.

jajandera 10 months ago

Does this mean the basketball games early in the season like vs fort Hays state and emporia state will be live and not a 2 hour delay? Can someone please answer this

Chris1955 10 months ago

Folks, let's ask ourselves why KU has agreed to a 3rd tier TV plan that doesnt appear to be what most of their followers are excited about? Since we don't know the details about this contract, let's ask ourselves why we would commit to something like this? Why would KU be the last university in the Big 12 to ink a deal for 3rd tier broadcasting rights?

Why did KU agree to the recent athletic complex on the west side of Lawrence? Why has KU made a big push to become much better in sports other than Men's BB? Congratulations to the Women's Track & Field 2013 National Champions. I think I also read somewhere that KU has tightened up their academic admission standards(not sports related, but important). Are these justs goals that Zenger has toward leaving his imprint on KU athletics, or does it mean there is another goal in mind for KU?

These things happen for a reason. What do you think the reason might be? Eventual departure from the Big 12? Where to?

Foster Coburn 10 months ago

I don't see how this is a good thing at all for those of us who are NOT in the local footprint. I'm in Arizona and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to watch LESS in the future no matter how hard I try or to what I subscribe.

RockChalk26 10 months ago

Being a Comcast subscriber here in Chicago, looks like I'm getting screwed. I guess there are a lot of grainy games at my desktop in the near future.

Dale Stringer 10 months ago

This could be very bad. I live in Missouri (Go Mules!) but just outside of the metro and I have Charter cable. TWC doesn't come out this far yet. I hope I can still watch everything.

Robert Brock 10 months ago

The B1G has their own network. The Big 12? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Rock_Chalk_NYC 10 months ago

This stinks. At least the way its described in this article. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun but it sounds pretty lame.

Everyone else in Big 12 is with a major NETWORK. We went with a Cable Provider.

Dish ? Direct TV ? Optimum ? etc.. etc...

Going with Fox or one of the network channels would have been FAR SUPERIOR for entire market access and thus eventual recruiting. Isn't that half the point?!?

I hope this is just preliminary information, but I doubt it since Matt is a very good reporter and #2, its a Cable Provider not a Network.

Oh well, 1 more football game and 6 basketball games not shown throughout Major Markets around the country... oh wait, that is a big deal... grrr....

westernkshawk 10 months ago

I'm wondering if this will provide any additional coverage in western KS. The western part of the state has some of the most rabid Jayhawk fans but we are always the ones who are the least considered (and the last to receive benefits, if we ever do) when these types of deals are discussed.

Michael Leiker 10 months ago

Ditto most of the above....Details???

Chuck Woodling 10 months ago

Then there's the HD question. MetroSports doesn't do HD. Or does Metro plan to add HD? Just one more unanswered question in a story that read like a KU Athletics press release.

ccarp 10 months ago

Why not stream this content online? Cut out the middle man and reduce the overhead of broadcasting on television. Will Time Warner make the games available to other providers? How much is the deal worth? What is the duration of the contract? I'm glad that Zenger is happy with the deal, but I doubt that I will ever see any of the coverage.

LeBo 10 months ago

Another example of "KU." Football drives the boat. KU does not have an oar or a boat to row in.

Kyle Helmer 10 months ago

Well since TW is the worst cable provider in the history of mankind, I am not overly thrilled. The basketball games better still be on 62, or Zenger is going to catch hell for this. I know those of us without TW will not be able to see the 1st football game just like last year. Not good.

DoubleDD 10 months ago

I have to say I'm a little confused. It seems KU has taking a different approach than other big 12 teams when it comes to tier 3 rights. I figured KU for a shoe in at Fox (as Fox seems to love the Big 12). Yet here we are with Time Warner. I guess I have to ask the question? Has Time Warner done this with any other College? or has KU become Time Warner's college of preference? I'm also wondering about the dollar amount for this partnership. I also find it interesting the Time Warner approached KU about this deal. What do we think Jayhawks? I'm starting to think this just might be a great thing.

JHWKDW 10 months ago

Still got that Tier 3 B.S. The SEC, Pac-12 and B1G do not have that Tier 3 B.S.Share and share alike. Big 12-2 blows.What a joke.

Well anyways if KU wants to emulate a school that have improved the Athletics, our Academics our good, but if we want to emulate some Athletic success, look to Louisville. Zenger ought to emulate what they are doing. Man a big turnaround in Football, Basketball in both Women and well we know what they did with the Men's Basketball.The Baseball team there was in the CWS. They are improving both Women and Men's sports. They are not going to be just Men's Basketball like they were in the past.

Big_Dipper 10 months ago

Speaking of Tier 1, 2, and 3 rights... if ESPN and Fox are the Tier 1 and 2 channels, and Metro Sports is tier 3 now, where does CBS come in since KU usually plays basketball on CBS once or twice a season before the tourney. The Big XII doesn't have a contract with them right? Is that just an NCAA thing where they get to pick games to show on CBS during the season?

Big_Dipper 10 months ago

It's too bad KU doesn't get their own network like Texas, and sell it too many different systems. Don't get me wrong, Metro Sports is great, but there are many other markets out there now besides Time Warner. DirecTV, Dish Network, several different cable options, plus Google is in the KC area and will have more people hooked up in time for football season, and definitely by basketball season. I know the games are on KSMO, at least they were this year. Maybe with the new deal with Metro Sports, the games will be on that channel now, and in that case, a lot of people will NOT be able to see the games unless they go to a bar or happen to have a friend that has Time Warner Cable.

Anyways, congrats on a new contract. However, if it means it limits your exposure to only the customers of one cable subscription company, then poor choice.

BCSwede 10 months ago

How does that effect those with DirectTV and Dish network?

jhawkrulz 10 months ago

Thank goodness soccer was added...how much was the deal?