Monday, July 1, 2013

KU football unveils five new helmets for 2013 season

The Kansas University football program on Monday unveiled five new looks for the team's helmets, four of which now feature the Jayhawk on the sides. (Photo courtesy of KU Athletics)

Vine video

New KU football helmets

First, he returned the names to the backs of the jerseys, and now he has added Jayhawks to the sides of the helmets.

If Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis ever can get the kind of results in the win column that he does with the team’s sense of fashion, he’ll likely go down as a fan favorite for years to come.

The new-look helmets, which Weis’ revealed Monday afternoon on his Twitter account through the use of the Vine video app, feature five colors and two styles of Jayhawks.

Three of the helmets — white, black and KU blue — use the current Jayhawk, with “KU” in Trajan font. The red helmet, which likely will be worn with blue jersey tops, features the more angry-looking 1941 Jayhawk, featuring a scowl on its face. The final helmet is a powder-blue throwback with white numbers on the side. KU wore that during the 2011 Homecoming game against Texas Tech in honor of the 1961 Bluebonnet Bowl team.

None of the helmets incorporates stripes.

The addition of the new helmets, for which fans and players alike have been clamoring for years, gives KU as many as 20 potential uniform options on game days.

Five Jayhawks helped model the new helmets in the video released by Weis. Senior running back James Sims donned the black, junior linebacker Ben Heeney handled the powder blue, newcomer Cassius Sendish, a junior cornerback, wore the traditional blue top with the blue helmet, junior tight end Jimmay Mundine sported the same blue top with the red helmet and junior quarterback Jake Heaps wore the all-white ensemble.

Moments after the new duds were revealed, KU fans lit up Twitter with their opinions about what they saw.

“Still debating what is sweeter: the red helmet or that our coach knows how to Vine,” one fan wrote.

Added another fan: “Love the new helmets. They will look even better if the team figures out a way to win three or four games this year.”

As for the players themselves, many of whom had not seen the new gear until Monday, most seemed thrilled with the variety of options now available. Defensive tackle Keon Stowers even said on Twitter that he had heard the team was not planning on wearing any combination more than once during the 2013 season. He also said the team had 11 uniform combinations at its disposal, a number lower than the maximum of 20, which likely means the black jerseys won’t be worn with the powder blue helmets, the powder blue jerseys won’t be worn with the red helmets and so on.

Although the jerseys used in Weis’ video were from last season, a KU official told the Journal-World that the football program would be upgrading its uniforms before the start of the season as well.

KU, which begins fall camp on Aug. 7, will kickoff the 2013 season at 6 p.m. on Sept. 7 at home against South Dakota.

What the Jayhawks will be wearing is anyone’s guess.

Comments

Rock_Chalk_NYC 1 year ago

On the positive side, good effort in regards to trying something new.

That said, nothing great. Not very creative at all.

Football should never use the happy Jayhawk... love him, but Football is a tough game. Nasty '41 all the way!

North Carolina blue.. please no.

Love the Red and Black helmet concepts (sadly they're finished products) as they could really be awesome if they worked to incorporate the '41 hawk better.

Oh well, decent first step.

Lets win games! Then we can worry about looking good while we win...

CougIsLJW 1 year ago

"North Carolina blue.. please no."

You know, UNC doesn't own that color. It would be like KU Athletics Inc. saying they own the word Kansas.

Oh, wait...

jhox 1 year ago

Black is awesome, but it needs the angry Jayhawk.

Priest Fontaine 1 year ago

man oh man. Looks like they pretty much slapped the Jayhawk sticker on the side of the helmets. Would love it if KU would get some designers to integrate the KU branding in a more creative and stylish way. Or I guess I should say that Adidas needs to hire a better design team? I think we can all agree who makes the best uniforms...

Mike Barnhart 1 year ago

Blinded by Nike! The Oregon uni's are often tragic and the two NFL uni's you offered up are no different than they've been for 40 years.

Priest Fontaine 1 year ago

I'm certainly not blinded by Nike. I'm just wanting better uniforms for my team. I agree that some of Oregon's uniforms are a bit of an eye sore but for the most part they've been pretty darn impressive. I believe I posted 3 different NFL teams, not two. If you can't see the difference in these new uniforms then you aren't paying attention. I do like these Adidas: http://www.designboom.com/design/adidas-springblade/

John Boyle 1 year ago

None of your posts are very convincing at all. The best looking stuff was the undershirts and socks and you won't see much of either of those.

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year ago

Blue one is the only decent looking one. Full Jayhawk on helmet looks stupid. Just Jayhawk head or something would be better.

741hawk 1 year ago

Would love to see just the Jayhawk head. I have it on my yellow Jeep. Looks great. We wore yellow helmets during the Mather years. (I'm not calling for it.)

The powder blue is awful and a terrible "tribute." The Hadl / McClinton era unis were Columbia Blue (not Carolina Blue) and were the same on both sides.

jayhawkdon 1 year ago

Love everyone of them except the black one. Do not want a black jersey either. The kitties use black and I don't want to be tied in any way to them.

jmason 1 year ago

Great to see the Jayhawk back on the helmet and that HCCW understands that marketing is a huge key to recruiting. To be able to have a high number of combinations of uniforms is huge!!

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year ago

Upon further reflection, I hate them all.

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year ago

Imagine if the black one had just a white or monocolored jayhawk...

Whoever thought that the white helmet looked remotely good should be fired immediately.

I like the idea of the red one, but the execution is lacking.

The dark blue one is also lacking.

The throwback helmet is also meh.

What a wasted opportunity.

Steve Reigle 1 year ago

Why would our guys wear uniforms in a North Carolina blue color rather than Kansas blue?

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year ago

KU has always had different shades of blue. Also, that is a Columbia blue, not a Carolina blue.

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year ago

The red helmet + blue jersey makes us look like Florida.

Phognatic 1 year ago

I love all the version of our Jayhawk. I love the "Trajan" font they commissioned however many years ago, but...don't like either of them on a football helmet. I would prefer to see solid colored helmets over any of these or any of our recent headgear. I guess I do like the 1941 Jayhawk as a sort of mix-it-up version. The flat black looks good for other schools but if black is not in your school's color wheel, (especially if said color wheel is crimson & blue) it just looks forced.

gchawk 1 year ago

Lose the powder blue. The other 4 look fine, but powder blue doesn't exactly portray "our" blue, in my opinion.

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year ago

The tiny jayhawks on the chests are terrible.

Just awful all the way around. The 07-08 uniforms were the best, especially the red one.

ljmhawk 1 year ago

apparently you don't know how to read... those are our OLD jerseys...

klineisanazi 1 year ago

Charlie's press secretary on this board. Never seen so much adulation for an unproven commodity . But we will find out this year if their is any bite that goes with the bark. Time to start winning games.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year ago

Hmmmmmmmm? Not sure it's the best they could have done, but it is a lot better than what we had. The Bird is back!

Andy Tweedy 1 year ago

I've always thought of ahperse as the voice of reason!

Doug Roberts 1 year ago

Trajan sucks. I'd love to see nice, tough block numbers again, and I love the Jayhawk, but hate it on the helmet. Just doesn't look good on a helmet. Those black jerseys look so, so cheap. Kinda like the red helmet with the PO'd Jayhawk, though. The only way the Jayhawk works on a helmet is if he's PO'd. And I like the baby blue jerseys (and block numbers!). I still think I, or any one of us, could have come up with cooler unis, though. Surely they must be hiring at Adidas?

oldalum 1 year ago

Didn't the article say all the jerseys were old designs and would be replaced with new ones?

ljmhawk 1 year ago

yup! you can obviously tell these people aren't fans of the football team because if they were they would notice these are our old uniforms.

ljmhawk 1 year ago

considering he's no longer the commissioner after february I doubt it.

kevinatc 1 year ago

He wont be at the next NBA Draft he is retiring.

jhawkjunkie 1 year ago

Can KU just pick a helmet and keep it for more than 4 or 5 years. It's kinda embarrassing I think for a school to keep changing helmets and designs every 4 or 5 years. Pick one design and keep it like Oklahoma's OU or the N on Nebraska or God forbid, the Powercat at Kansas State.

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year ago

You just named 3 of the most boring helmet designs ever made.

Phognatic 1 year ago

But at least they look good.

jhawkjunkie 1 year ago

OK, the U on Miami's helmets, the Wolverine at Michigan, the Longhorn at Texas, arrow at Florida State. My point is just pick a helmet that can be associated with the school for a long time and doesn't need to be changed.

Sam Brockert 1 year ago

Ok, I have one problem with what you said. What tradition? Keeping a helmet style will not give ANYONE the impression that KU has ANY kind of tradition. When it comes to football.

Bear86 1 year ago

Agreed. KU changes footall unis every few years and it takes away from any sort of tradition it has. This is just one facet of inconsistency with the athletic department. Most other schools have guidelines when it comes to apparel and athletic teams out fits. KU is all over the map and it's embarrasing.

Matt Kenton 1 year ago

Michigan has an M, but I completely agree with your point. Constant change shows a lack of tradition. And I like the '41 mean Jayhawk, but not red helmets. Go with KU or redesign a modern, meaner Jayhawk for football.

Chris Shaw 1 year ago

Michigan has never had an "M" on their helmet. As long as I have been alive I've never seen an "M" on the side of a Michigan helmet. They occasionally will put a number with their famous yellow stripe and navy design. You may be thinking of Minnesota.

Max Ledom 1 year ago

I love you guys. I really love all of the posters here. But man, I really dislike you all when you guys try to act like fashion experts. The old geezers really come out on this board when KU tries ANYTHING different with their unis. Whether you guys like it or not, these helmets are hot, and this is exactly what college kids are wanting to wear now a days. Brilliant work Coach. It's ridiculous that fashion plays as large of a role as it does in recruiting, but it does. This will bring in recruits. Guaranteed.

ljmhawk 1 year ago

i agree....all the old timers are always against change but this is what appeals to the HS and college kids. great work HCCW

Phognatic 1 year ago

I for one, am not an old timer and I still think these are poor. I may be mistaken, but I believe we have had this same generic jayhawk decal helmet in the past and they work no better now. As I've said before, love the Jayhawk, but it just doesn't work on a helmet. Go solid, "old time", color and impress recruits with other factors, or commission someone to develop a helmet that actually looks good instead of shuffling from jayhawk, to block letters KU, to trajan scrip KU, back to jayhawk, loose a bunch of games...repeat.

jhox 1 year ago

I'm sort of and old timer (over 50) but agree with your basic comments. I just want it known that not everyone over the age of 50 is anti-progress. I'm not a big fan of change for the sake of change but, you're right, things like this can affect recruiting. Besides, the flat black looks cool. I just wish they had put the 1941 Warhawk on the black helmet. Actually, I wish they had put the Warhawk on all of them. Something about football and smiling just don't go together.

DanR 1 year ago

Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, USC etc. don't seem to have a problem recruiting. I suppose if KU could win a national championship, we could start a tradition and settle on a helmet and uniform. Of course, if it happened this year, which one would we choose?

Benjamin Piehler 1 year ago

Yikes. What kind of recruits will these bring in, I wonder.

Chris Shaw 1 year ago

I like all the helmets and color designs except the light blue, Carolina Blue, Sky blue, or whatever kind of soft blue you want to call it. Like it or not when people see that color it is associated with "Carolina Blue" and IMO any association or interpretation that leads someone to believe that it's North Carolina...that design should be axed immediately.

As other posters have stated the "N" for Nebraska, the white numbers with a white stripe on a red helmet for Alabama, The "OU" for Oklahoma, the plane white helmet for Penn State, The yellow stripes on navy for Michigan, The orange and green "U" for Miami, The Longhorn for Texas, the "aTm" for Texas A&M, The Silver Helmet for Ohio State, etc etc are all boring helmets,but they are iconic.

Everybody knows as soon as you see those helmets you know exactly who is playing on the television set. It's branding 101. When you are those teams and have had success like those teams above...why change it?

CougIsLJW 1 year ago

"Like it or not when people see that color it is associated with "Carolina Blue" and IMO any association or interpretation that leads someone to believe that it's North Carolina...that design should be axed immediately."

You know they put a graphic on TV now that tells you who's playing, right?

For the last time, it's an homage to the 1961 Kansas team that went to the Bluebonnet Bowl. It really doesn't matter what a few ignorant people associate it with, and you're just going to have to get over it. If anything, they look like the old Houston Oilers with the numbers on the jerseys outlined in red/crimson. Some of the best jerseys in NFL history, if I might add.

You still want to call it "carolina blue"? Fine, do what you like. I'll contend that we pull it off better than UNC can.

stm62 1 year ago

I like the darker blue, black, and red helmets, but the black jerseys are too plain and UGLY.

ljmhawk 1 year ago

jfc those are the black uniforms we wore last year,..they haven't revealed the ACTUAL JERSEYS yet...do you people even read the article before commenting?

Brett McCabe 1 year ago

Except that the image is of a female lion. We have the best mascot in the country, might as well use it.

BringBackMark 1 year ago

Go back and look at the Thundercats comics and cartoons and you'll see where the powercat originated. Probably the only university mascot that came from a cartoon series. But then again.....look at the school.

CrystalJones 1 year ago

Well, I guess if it brings in recruits. But given our bottom-of-the-barrel program, some people might be asking why Coach is dabbling at all in the matter of uniform combinations at this point. I think he should be giving the impression that 100% of his time is being spent on the actual game, not the clothing.

Let the PR department talk about new helmets, etc., I don't want to be the village sourpuss, but over the last four seasons, we have won a grand total of 2 conference games. And our coach is musing about helmet and jersey combinations?

I know Coach Weis is one of the great coaches in college football, and we're very lucky to have him. I'm hoping that he will lead us to great success, but we haven't seen it yet. And his tweeting about uniform combos reminds me a little of guys like Ron Prince ... style over substance – all hat, no cattle. I know HCCW isn't Prince, but I just wish he would spend this kind of time on cosmetics after he has actually won a few more football games.

I'd just be more comfortable if the turnaround in our program took place on the field first, and then worry about how we look on the field. But I'm just a fan, not a highly paid football coach, and maybe this is actually a great strategy to bring in recruits and make the players play better. I dunno. Guess we'll see.

texashawk10 1 year ago

If Coach Weis getting multiple options on uniform and helmet combinations help land some better recruits, it's worth it. I do think it's stupid that stuff like this is a factor in recruiting, but it is and Weis needs to use it to his advantage.

elan71 1 year ago

The Jayhawks doesn't look right on the Black helmet...should have done something different with that one!

Calijhawk 1 year ago

KU football in black? BLACK?? The happiest people in the Jayhawk nation on that day will be the idiots that designed the KU Band uniform with BLACK as the base color. They took all the money we donated to buy them new ones, then flipped us all off and made the predominant color that of our most bitter rival. KU football in black will, sadly, validate these idiots -- except that they all are all now on other campuses laughing at us.

Hammertoe 1 year ago

Those uniforms are like putting a pretty dress on an ugly girl.

klineisanazi 1 year ago

Not sure about the pretty dress part.....but at least a new dress.

Bryce Landon 1 year ago

Bryce Landon 1 year ago

Hey klineisanazi, you're better off just ignoring Hammertoe. She is a K-State troll with a major insecurity problem; which is why she has to trumpet her KSU pride on KU message boards. Why the LJW hasn't banned her for trolling is beyond me, and why the LJW deleted my previous comment calling her out for trolling is also beyond me.

ljmhawk 1 year ago

MATT:

you need to put in your article somewhere in huge block, bold letters that the uniforms in the pictures will NOT be our uniforms for the upcoming season.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year ago

I'd prefer my Avatar helmet but I'll take this. I like that we can go an entire season without wearing the same uniform twice. As long as basketball never goes with black uniforms.

ljmhawk 1 year ago

your avatar helmet would be sweet in black and the jayhawk in a smoke color

Andy Tweedy 1 year ago

That's because your avatar helmet RULES!

pepper_bar 1 year ago

These are all improvements over the old helmets, which were completely awful.

KU's gradual adoption of Missouri's primary color as a color of its own is baffling. And when did KU switch from crimson and blue to plain red and blue?

texashawk10 1 year ago

It's not like other schools like Texas, Florida St., Georgia, Washington, Arizona St., TCU, and I'm sure I'm missing others that have also worn black for a game and Georgia is the only one of those schools that has black as a normal color in its regular uniform. If KU started using a lot of yellow with their black uniforms, then there would be cause for concern. All black for a big night game like hopefully the KSU game will be would be an appropriate occasion to do that.

Darius80 1 year ago

Pass. Nothing beats "KU" on the helmet.

Cody Stumma 1 year ago

Blue Helmet with "KU" on it, with the War Hawk or something showing on the jersey would be best.

Cliff Leiker 1 year ago

I love the helmets. I think it gives a recruit another reason to join the jayhawks.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year ago

My angry Jayhawk avatar, or just its head, would look good on the side of a helmet.

Black is very popular with young players; I imagine it was done with recruiting in mind.

Mike Barnhart 1 year ago

Did he get left out in the rain?

qringer 1 year ago

Very cool in monochrome!

BringBackMark 1 year ago

Fully agree. You don't see the perennial powers wearing a different uniform every week. In fact, we look silly running out on the field every game sporting a different look. It tells the rest of the country that if we can't win we'll at least look different.....???? Recruits will be equally impressed with W's as they will with all of these different helmets.

OMG! Remember the white uniforms with the white helmets in the Missouri game a few years ago? The Jayhawk was about 8 inches tall and the team looked like 11 Stay-Puffed Marshmallow men running around on the field.

Bryce Landon 1 year ago

Wrong. The white helmets had a blue KU on them. You must be thinking of the white helmets KU wore in last season's Iowa State game.

klineisanazi 1 year ago

Could not agree more. I don't care if they wear white helmets with a "K" printed with a magic marker as long as they win some games. The rest will take care of itself.

Bryce Landon 1 year ago

I see Kansas is going down the same road as Oregon.

By the way, Kansas wore a white helmet with pale blue letters against T-Tech. Until 2005, Kansas did not have an official shade of blue. Which is why the Jayhawks wore Columbia blue in 1961, not "Carolina blue".

Of these helmets, I like the royal blue one best, with the 1961 throwback a close second. I despise the black one.

hotrodm 1 year ago

Lose the Carolina Baby Blue, and the Mizzoo Black. The Red, White, and Royal Blue are ok.

Mike Barnhart 1 year ago

College football is BIG BUSINESS!

These helmets go for $300 at Dick's Sporting Goods. The blinged up KU versions must be at least $350. So, 4 extra helmets for 80 guys is well over $100,000.

I guess that's conservative in a world where Oregon, MU and OSU never wear the same uni's twice!

Andy Tweedy 1 year ago

For the most part, love them! People won't laugh at the smiling Jayhawk if we're in the middle of kicking their a$$es!

westernkshawk 1 year ago

That light blue one is AWFUL. That is NOT KU!!! Hope they didn't order any more than the one for the picture as the fans will not stand for THAT!!

RLFe21963 1 year ago

Keep the red, white and blue helmets... scrap the powder blue and put a greyscale "KU" in the Trajan font on the black one... JMHO

Dan Harris 1 year ago

The black one with my avatar would look pretty cool!

boomrsoonr26 1 year ago

I like cool new uniform designs as much as the next guy, but these are some boring helmets. Nothing really new here except the red helmet. Putting a Jayhawk sticker on the side of the helmet, is just lazy. If you're going to overhaul, actually change something for the better. Even if the uniforms were ugly like Oregon and Maryland I would support it, but this is just a lazy effort. At least try to be creative, or try to incorporate tradition. When you don't do either, LAZY!

RCJHGKU!

BTW - Adidas sucks

DanR 1 year ago

Rest assured, there will be some ridiculous pants and jerseys to go with the lame helmets. Probably at least one version with the camo pattern.

ljmhawk 1 year ago

if it blinds the opponent sure!!!

Edwin Hailey 1 year ago

Personally I think the 1941 Jayhawk should be the schools official school logo to this day. It just looks meaner. When you look at the current mascot you dont think tough, you think that he belongs in a theme park or that he is a new character at Chuck-e-Cheese....

texashawk10 1 year ago

I will just about guarantee that the 1961 throwbacks will be worn September 14 when KU plays Rice at Rice stadium since that is the same school and stadium as the 1961 Bluebonnet Bowl.

Robert Brown 1 year ago

I plan to be at that game!

KGphoto 1 year ago

Good Call. Okay, one down. What do think it will be for the K-State finale at home? All black?

texashawk10 1 year ago

I think the KSU game will either be the crimson or black. I think the OU game is the other option for the all black combination. Total shot in the dark here, but my guesses for the uniform combinations are:

USD (home): blue helmet/blue jersey/white pants

Rice (away) 1961 throwbacks

LTU (home): Blue/Blue/Blue

TTU (home): Red/Blue/Blue

TCU (away): White/White/White

OU (home): Black/Black/Black

Baylor (home): Blue/Red/Blue

Texas (away): Blue/White/Blue

OSU (away): White/White/Blue

WVU (home): Blue/Red/White

ISU (away): Blue/White/White

KSU (home): Red/Red/Red

12 games and 12 combinations that should work well together. It remains to be seen if red pants will actually be part of the equation, but they should because that will allow KU to wear a different combination every game that should look like it matches.

KGphoto 1 year ago

Interesting. Only one black. I think I’d like to see a black/blue/black or a black/red/black combo in there somewhere. Would even be down for a blue or red/black/black.

Seems like most don’t like the black. I like it if they don’t do the white helmet like last year.

Mike Barnhart 1 year ago

Red helmet with 1941 Jayhawk, Blue Jersey and 2008 "Giants" pants (silver with the red stripe.) PERFECTION!

jaymar74 1 year ago

yes thats the one and NY Giants white jersey with red numbers and lettering on the road, Giants pants and the red helmet for road games. Jerseys need the red stripes on the shoulders like NY Giants.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year ago

Suprised I didnt have to take a survey to make this comment

LibertyHawk84 1 year ago

What a loser program. Focus on wins first

JayDocMD 1 year ago

good advice Coach Gill

texashawk10 1 year ago

For those of you who say focus on winning above all else in regards to football, I agree. The question then becomes how do you win more games. The answer to that is to upgrade the talent, along with good coaching. We saw the improvement in player discipline on the field last year which is a good indicator of better coaching so the other half is how does a program bring in the talent to help win more games. Multiple uniform options is a way to bring in more talent because stuff like appeals to a lot of today's HS players, agree or disagree that is reality.

KGphoto 1 year ago

I have to say, after looking through all the changes that were made before the start of last season... here

I’m having a change of heart. First of all I’m glad we are getting into the mix. This is a trend that’s not going away, and eventually you will see EVERY team in the country, even Penn St., Alabama, Texas etc., doing it. Right now Texas is testing out the idea with alternate practice jersey’s. Nebraska, Michigan and Notre Dame have already dipped their toes in the pool. So no team and no amount of tradition exempts you from new design.

Secondly, after looking at the unis in the above link, I get a better picture of the college uniform landscape, and it includes a little bit of everything. Modern, throwback, minimalism, and Maryland Pride. There are no rules at this game of uniform alternates.

Whether I think they are cool or not, kids will definitely want to see the school they are going to using alternates. It’s a good move no matter the design. No matter because it’s gets the conversation going about KU. KU’s uniforms will make more noise. ESPN will talk about them.

Click on every link (of the link above) and tell me you don’t think it’s a good idea to get involved with this.

Danton32 1 year ago

This is something that has to be done in order to "re-build" our program. If you haven't noticed, Oregon tends to bring in very talented recruits due to their different uniform choices and rather large "closets." We could wear pink jerseys every game for all I care, but if we don't continue to do this we will be that far behind everyone else in college football. Heck, even Notre Dame switches things up a bit now!

Brett McCabe 1 year ago

As did Nebraska and a whole list of other top programs.

Micky Baker 1 year ago

The red one is good, and the blue one will be okay for the road if it uses the mad Jayhawk. I also like the black one for when they wear solid blue uniforms or even Crimson, but others are just stale. The throwback helmet should be saved for special occasion throwback games and could be used as a tool to get say, Penn State on the schedule wearing the uniforms that were used in the Orange Bowl that year, or an annual throwback night against K-State, and say Oklahoma because I think those two are the longest ongoing series on KU's schedule.

55jayhawk 1 year ago

The powder blue helmet is a throwback to our uniform we wore in the Blue Bonnet bowl at Houston & were for the most part "good luck" for us. A lot of players went on to the pros from that team and our letter jackets were light blue which were different than the normal jacket with a Red "K". As one who wore the original helmet and uniform, I do not have a problem with the color if psycologically it works and gets us an extra win or two. If this year's team and the ones who have made verbal committments to KU for 2014 can become a team where each player does his job, I think we will have a very entertaining football season this year and next.

ljmhawk 1 year ago

i'm ready for the jerseys

kay_you 1 year ago

Is this the best they could come up with? The designer suffers from a lack of inspiration.

shelleysue 1 year ago

These aren't perfect but in my opinion they are a step in the right direction. I agree that a tone on tone look for the black would be great. Some type of texture design or striping would be great on the others. Just a little something more. Hopefully they will get to that point sooner rather than later. The most important thing is that the players feel good and confident and pretty bad ass in the uniforms they're wearing. What we think really doesn't matter.

Kenneth Hillman 1 year ago

I like the idea but this is a weak attempt. LHMHAWK has a good example of what can be done...maybe blend some colors together...change up the logo...use a KU...seriously? This was the best they could come up with? Have a design competition or something. If you're going to do it do it right.

danno1313 1 year ago

Exactly, JHWKDW! I would trade the five new helmets for five wins. I could live with leather helmets if the team wins!!!

PRIORITIES KU!

kay_you 1 year ago

I like the powder blue design. Only make it KU blue.

Kirk 1 year ago

I like the helmets, including the powder blue one.

I dislike the 1941 angry Jayhawk as a helmet logo; I actually think the smiling one is more menacing if we're winning. It's simply more original. The angry one looks like ISU or anyone else's tough, angry logo. The smiling one is totally cool.

I dislike "KU blue", the mandated shade for our consistent "brand" that was brought in by Lew.

And I wish we'd wear red legs.