Wednesday, January 30, 2013

KU freshman Rio Adams bringing energy, on and off court

Kansas guard Rio Adams points to teammate Kevin Young after Young's breakaway dunk following a steal against Oklahoma during the first half on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse. At left is Oklahoma guard Cameron Clark.

One of the most enthusiastic cheerleaders on Kansas University’s basketball bench, Rio Adams is attempting to take that same spirit onto the court during games.

“I’m trying to be the best I can be ... for my teammates, keep that energy going,” said Adams, KU’s 6-foot-3 freshman combo guard from Seattle.

He played two minutes in Monday’s 61-56 victory at West Virginia, three in Saturday’s 67-54 home win over Oklahoma and two minutes the game before that — a 59-55 win over Kansas State on Jan. 22 in Manhattan.

“Giving my all is what I’m trying to do for my team when I’m out there. That’s what I’m doing,” said Adams, who was spotted on camera dancing on the KU bench after Jayhawk threes in both the OU and KSU games.

Adams — he averaged 21.0 points, 6.0 assists and 5.0 rebounds per game his senior season at Class 3A state champion Rainier Beach High (he scored 54 points in a game as a sophomore) — obviously knows his role is not to be a prolific scorer on this year’s KU team. He’s scored 12 points all season off 5-of-17 shooting and 2-of-2 free throwing.

“Right now I’m in position to give coach (Bill Self) what he needs. (Against Oklahoma) I was there specifically to play defense and keep our point spread spread out. We get a lot of wins because of our defense. That’s what we rely on first. Coach didn’t really care about the offense — just don’t turn it over. We are a defensive team for sure, first.”

Adams was able to run the team on a couple possessions during the OU game.

“I’m not going to lie. I wasn’t prepared for that at all,” Adams said of being point guard versus the Sooners. “Mainly in practice I play a lot of defense. When I was out there to get the opportunity I took full advantage of it, but just wasn’t ready. I enjoyed it a lot. I was very excited. I work for my minutes and earned those minutes I got.”

Adams said he’s grateful for any time he gets during games.

“When I do (get minutes) I’m going to take full advantage of them every time,” he said. “I appreciate coach getting more comfortable with me day to day. I’m working on being the best I can be. I’m just staying focused, working hard every day for coach. I’m trying to get my minutes that I deserve because I’m working.”

Adams indicated there’s a big difference between high school and college basketball.

“It’s a very difficult transition,” he said. “The guys are a lot more physical. It has to do with your focus and the effort you want to put in at times. They (coaches) watch that a lot. When I first got here, that wasn’t my focus at all. I wasn’t as focused as I should have been. My mind was somewhere else. Now I’m here and it’s the right time for me to catch my focus. I’m giving my all. Any time coach puts me out there when my number is called I will give my all.”

Adams said it’s not difficult to be ready to enter games when called upon.

“Thinking positive, letting stuff roll off my back,” he said are keys. “You are going to make mistakes. It’s basketball. I treat it like I did when growing up. I would say all the veterans help me. They let me know what I didn’t know when I first came here, to let it (criticism) roll off my back and keep playing hard.”

Of Adams, KU coach Self said: “I think Rio could potentially be a good defender. He does some things on the ball that’s really good, not as good off the ball. He is young and figuring things out, also. I want him to be a guy we can play and trust and do all that stuff 10 minutes a game. The reality is and he knows this, I’ve got to get where I trust him, not to do what we don’t teach. He’ll get there.”

Halfcourt mania: Kansas Athletics uploaded a video to YouTube which shows KU’s Naadir Tharpe and Ben McLemore hitting halfcourt shots at the end of a shootaround on Monday at WVU Coliseum in Morgantown, W.Va.

Oh yes ... KU director of operations Doc Sadler also hit a halfcourt shot in the video.

“It was definitely skill. It was not luck at all. For the right amount of money I could probably teach some of you how to do that,” Sadler joked to the audience at Tuesday’s weekly “Hawk Talk” radio show. “They’re not talking about the dunk that I had. That’s what everybody was more surprised about.”

Seriously folks ... “I said, ‘Let me have one shot at it and I’ll show you how to do it,’” Sadler said, joking with Jayhawk players who had trouble converting from halfcourt. “It took me one shot. It didn’t take 20. Again ... the dunk nobody has seen was probably a bit more impressive.”

Recruiting Wiggins: KU coach Self visited Huntington (W.Va.) Prep on Tuesday to check in on Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 small forward, JayhawkSlant.com reported. Wiggins, who is the No. 1 rated player in the Class of 2013, lists KU, Kentucky, Florida State, North Carolina and others. KU is also pursuing the No. 2 player in the class, Julius Randle, 6-9 power forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas.

Future: KU coach Self on Tuesday discussed his future with ESPN’s Andy Katz. He was asked the question, “What would be your next move and who would you lean on for advice?” Self’s answer: “If we’re ever going to move again, which I certainly don’t see, want or anticipate because we love it here, I would lean on my dad and my wife. And then maybe some experts in the field. I haven’t looked at another situation seriously since I’ve been here. A lot was made of the Oklahoma State situation five years ago, but that was one that the timing was not right and I don’t see the timing being right any time in the near future.”

About possibly coaching in the NBA, he said: “I don’t feel it. I can’t say never because there have been a lot of people tell me that it would be an unbelievable situation to get into, and coaches yearn for that, but I think I’ve got a better job than a lot of guys in the league.”

All-star game: KU signee Joel Embiid, 7-foot center from The Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., has been invited to play in the Jordan Brand Classic on April 13 in New York, The Rock School announced on Twitter.

Comments

ParisHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Welcome back, site.

Rio saying a lot of the right things, Coach telling it like it is. Concentration, work, enthusiasm and readiness make a good combination. Go Rio!

I'm going to hijack this article to continue all the post-WVU discussion about what's not right enough about the team. First, it may not transpire enough from the posts that we all love this team and the players and we only want the best for them. If any player is not doing as well as we would hope, we're disappointed for him more than with him. I so much wanted this to be "EJ's year".

Second, one of the rules of SelfSpeak seems to be, when they can improve then criticize, when they can't then support. Coach seems pretty supportive of EJ, guard play and the offense in general. Conclusion?

Edward Daub 1 year, 10 months ago

I was at the Game and I am Glad we Won! Why? To avoid the Abuse I would get at work. We missed too many free throws and had too many turnovers. But, last time I checked, a Win is still a Win by 1 or 21! It was also Great to meet several KU Fans , Rock Chalk! I am Proud of our Team.

SOMDJayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I was at the game, too, west_virginia_hawk. Maybe we saw each other! Unfortunately the KU fans were too spread out to get the Rock Chalk chant going at the end of the game.

We doubled the trip into a tour of the WVU campus for my daughter and as we were waiting at the visitors center we noticed folks wearing KU shirts loading into buses at the hotel across the parking lot. Went into the hotel lobby and within 15 minutes the players, coaches, staff started walking out elevators - heading to the Coliseum for their shootaround. Got my daughter's picture with Withey, McLemore, and HCBS. Had conversations with Coach and Andrea Hudy like they were long lost friends. Asked where we were from, what my major was in grad school at KU, etc. Also found out Andrea grew up in Huntingdon, PA, where I got my undergrad at Juniata College. Way cool! So proud to be part of the Jayhawk family. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

chalkitup1811 1 year, 10 months ago

my aunt,uncle, and cousins live in Huntingdon ! Rock Chalk

DCSven 1 year, 10 months ago

He's made it clear that "we" love it here. The AD needs to make it clear that "we" love him here and would like to see him stay as long as Phog, or longer.

John Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't know how long you've been in DC area, but out here in the plains, "we" refers to family.

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed, although he does have about as close to a lifetime contract as you will ever get in professional coaching.

nb4ku 1 year, 10 months ago

I never get a sense of security with the answers HCBS provides in regards to his future with KU. I guess it's probably like the girlfriend(Roy) who tells you she will never love anyone else then leaves you for another man(North Carolina). You have a hard time trusting the next girl(HCBS), even after 10 years.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

Coach Self's comments are comforting to me. I really doubt that he'll leave KU for anything but an NBA job. And he really doesn't sound like he wants a job in the NBA right now at all.

Self won't leave for just any NBA vacancy, if he does jump, he's going to jump to a solid winning franchise to follow a legend who is retiring. Not just to follow some dude that got fired because he couldn't win. Many people have said that he could be the successor to Greg Popovich. That's the one spot that I would be nervous about. Poppy has been looking very old on the sidelines lately.

Al Martin 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes. also, I appreciate that we're not getting any snow job words. If a situation came up that he couldn't refuse, he wouldn't refuse it. He doesn't see that now or in the near future, but he won't rule it out. That sounds honest to me.

Al Martin 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes. Also, I appreciate that we're not getting any snow job words. If a situation came up that he couldn't refuse, he wouldn't refuse it. He doesn't see that now or in the near future, but he won't rule it out. That sounds honest to me.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree with you plastic. If Self jumps for the NBA, I think the only ones he seriously considers are the Thunder, for obvious reasons, and the Spurs, since he is great friends with the GM.

odc213 1 year, 10 months ago

I really think Rio Adams will be a good player here... so cheers to RIO and as to the security sense.. read the full interview here

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/8892786/bill-self-discusses-kansas-jayhawks-winning-tradition-college-basketballe sense of security.

odc213 1 year, 10 months ago

the sense of security.... if OK State comes calling and it's the right 'time' then he will take it. (Pickens Pockets). So, just like with Roy, we have a situation where there is that ONE school that could pull him away. READ THIS INTERVIEW. It's right there

Phoghorn 1 year, 10 months ago

My suspicion is that OSU will hire Coach Danny Manning away from Tulsa.

oldalum 1 year, 10 months ago

I think you're mistaken odc. That's his Alma Mater and he has family and friends down there. I wouldn't expect him to say he didn't want to go there and would never want to go there. He just said the time wasn't right.

John Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

I am reassured by what Bill Self says simply because he doesn't use the word "never". Also, he seems to have an attitude that, once you have enough money, other things can be more important.

Ben Kane 1 year, 10 months ago

I really hope Rio doesn't transfer. These kind of interview answers gives me hope he won't.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

It sounds like Rio is at peace with where he is right now and understands that he has an opportunity to be a big part of the Legacy in the coming years.

He's just a kid and he's definitely not the first kid that has questioned whether or not he made the right decision during his first semester at KU.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed.....I think he's smart enough to see the succession of many of our past players that were top 100 or so recruits go from bit players in their freshman year to spot minutes in their Sophomore Years to big-time contributors in their Jr. & Sr. years and I don't think he'd be any different. I'd have high hopes for him in 2-3 years. Heck, I think if he sticks around we'll see more from and probably NEED him next year.

Jason Keller 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Rio has it all. I can't believe he hasn't gotten more minutes. The reason he makes bone head plays is because he gets 1.5 minutes a game and tries to do a little something with them. In two years, he'll make Naadir look stupid and I like Naadir's game a lot but Rio just has the length and athleticism you can't coach. He's a lot like Tyshawn.

If you guys think that this next recruiting class is going to be ready to play right away, well I guess you haven't learned anything. Rarely are any kids ready to play right away. I think Wayne Selden will start but that is it. So, for ball handeling, you're looking at Naadir and Rio.

My starting 5 next year:

1. Rio/Tharpe
  2. Selden/White
  3. Perry/Greene (Yes, Perry is a 3)
  4. Randle/Traylor (Yes, Randle is coming to KU)
  5. Lucas-Wesley?/Embiid

tomkeegslovechild 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't sleep on Frankamp. I have a feeling he will challenge for a starting position at the 1 or 2. He's a lethal scorer and he can guard.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Wigs- I stated below that if Self didn't think KU had a chance, he wouldn't take the time to go and visit. He went to visit Wigs. A visit speaks volumes when a coach visits a recruit. He mentioned in an interview about recruits and going against KY and not being bball rivals, but recruiting rivals.

I just don't see Wigs going to KY with who they have now. They will not win a NC and may not even make the tourney at this point. Poythress may stay and improve his stock and want a NC. I don't see KY losing too many, maybe 1-2. I want to see how they bring in 5-6 new recruits. Calipari will finally reap his little puppy mill. He will have to give up to gain.

flyingfinn 1 year, 10 months ago

Agree we will need a scorer to replace Mac and I don't see that in White or Rio

Robert Brock 1 year, 10 months ago

Not on this squad. Too many others will play ahead of him.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Eh, I think the starting unit will end up being:

Tharpe Selden White III P. Ellis Randle (yes, out of position)

2nd units:

Frankamp A.Adams B.Greene (Might see more mins. than White & Adams have this year....of course, higher rated too) Tralyor L.Lucas

Wesley, Embiid & F.Mason to get sparse mins. next season I suspect.

I'm hoping Embiid has patience as I think he would show some promise by his Sophomore Year and be DYNAMITE (possibly early-entry) in his Junior Year.

***I have a funny feeling that the most pleasant surprise (in a GOOD way) next year's going to be Lucas. I think much like having that "off season" for McLemore skyrocketed what he would do the next season, I think the same will be true for Lucas. Now for Mc that meant from 24th / 25th ranked when he came out to likely top 3-5 Draft pick. I think Lucas was like top 70 - 80 when he came out so I think it just means a consideration of a rise of 20 spots or so relative to his peers. I think he'll be a serviceable "5" and could start if we don't get Randle. If we don't get Randle, then Embiid's going to see more mins. next season than if we do land him. Even then he'd be 4th in the pecking order among P. Ellis, Traylor, & L. Lucas.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

khuff- I tried to pick your post apart and be as critical as possible. I can't find much of an argument against your post. I agree, even with Embiid and Lucas.

Dang it - This is a coach's dream team. You hear more about "buying into" Self's progream. I think players are getting it and most of all seeing it too. Hell, even the media is buying it, because it works.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Randle won't be playing out of position. If he comes to KU, Self will use him and Ellis the same way he used the twins on offense. Ellis and Randle are a perfect fit for the high-low because both can make an outside shot so the opposing defense has to guard out there and both can play in the post. That's what's missing from the offense this year is the high-low element because KY doesn't take the open shot at the top of the key and because of that, his man will sag off and double Withey taking away KU's high-low. Ellis is getting better about taking the top of the key shot and when it starts falling, we'll the high-low with him and Withey open up and KU's offense will look better.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

You do see Ellis flirting with a 3 role more and more each game. I don't see him posting much. Next yr, he'll have to be a bit of a hybrid. I really think he'll be more like McMorris, only higher level. Ellis will have to develop his outside shot as a 3 in the off season. He will be a real 3 by his junior year, any wagers?

BrockIII 1 year, 10 months ago

We go through this EVERY year it seems. McMorris, JuJu, etc., etc., etc. You can play him all you want at the 3 on offense, but who does Ellis guard on defense? There is really no chance he will get anything other than spot time at the 3 throughout his entire KU career.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Hybrid Brock, hybrid- We go through this every year, wawawawa. He will play a lot like McMorris at a higher level. Don't care how you take it. McMorris played a 3 spot at times, but then on D he went back to the 4, calm down and relax.

Besides he'll play what Self wants him to play, maybe pg?

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

Bingo. He still plays defense with his hands, the way younger players do to keep a "feel" for their man.

Not only is it fundamentally unsound (good defense is all about good position, which can only be achieved by using your feet), but it takes his hands away from doing another fundamentally sound aspect of defense--sticking your arms up into passing lanes, even when not looking at the ball.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I knew Doc Sadler had to have a great sense of humor after being at Nebraska all those years.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

I really, really hope that he posts that dunk on youtube ;)

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 10 months ago

Wiggins and Randle...what are the kusports oddsmakers saying the chances are they choose us?

KUbsee69 1 year, 10 months ago

Randle is visiting on Feb 16th. That's Texas, Game Day, and Mario's jersey hanging. If that's not enough extra leverage to impress him, then I don't know what would be.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

I have a funny feeling currently that it's between N.C. State, us & Florida.

I think if he was SOOOOOOOO impressed w/ N.C. State & what with knowing Purvis there, I think he'd've already committed. Unless, he's at least being nice enough to follow through on his committed visit.

His already previously existing relationship w/ Donovan along with them looking so good now & having one of the other best recruiting classes has me a bit nervous. Although wasn't one of their best other recruits that they got for next season a "4"?

DCSven 1 year, 10 months ago

Rio is toughing it out like other frosh before him and seeing his future get brighter as a result. Transfers to KU (Withey, Young) work out great. Transfers away from KU, not so much. Rio is a Jayhawk, and he'll be a leader soon.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Only one I can think of who I think MIGHT'VE done better after he left, but he had no choice with the trouble he was in was Giddens. He was pretty good for New Mexico and got drafted by the Celtics and saw some play for a while.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 10 months ago

Grats to JoJo for the Jordan Brand Classic. ESPN will being broadcasting it. Does anyone know how Lucas is doing in practice?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Probably "playing a lot of defense" as Adams mentioned about own his practice time.

KUbsee69 1 year, 10 months ago

Haven't you heard Coach Self's instructions to Tharpe? It's shoot when you're open or you're coming back to the bench. That's been published several times.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

I am curioius as to what Self would consider the 'right situation" to go to home to Okie State. I can only see him at Kansas or San Antonio within the next ten years. Apparently, many of us have attachment issues with losing Coach Self! It's natural for coaches to come and go. That's what I have to always remind myself! I was sick in the head for about a week when Roy left.

Who here thinks that going from scoring 80 a game to 60 a game is part of a grand stretegy to prepare the guys how to win tourney games?

I feel like we have been watching the brand of basketball that we were all so scared of seeing when Self first arrived from the Big 10. I happen to think that it's odd that Bill coaching adjustments conincide with the arrival of Doc and Norm. I think Doc and his defensive schemes are having an affect on coach Self. Could just be me though.

How many McDonalds All-Americans will we have this time next year?

Random thoughts...

Would Kaleb Tarcewski (sp) be getting any minutes this year if he would have chosen Kansas?

What about if Shabazz would have elected to come here? What would the chemistry be like?

It's funny how things seem to always work out like they are supposed to.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 10 months ago

At KU it is not that common for coaches to come and go. Fewest coach of any basketball program in the country. Other than Larry Brown who was never comfortable staying at one place for long, KU is a destination job. Roy would likely have never left (but in the end was great for KU since Self is the best coach around) if UNC was not struggling mightily under Matt Doherty and if Dean Smith had not guilted him into leaving KU. I hope Self continues to coach at KU as long as he wishes, but recruiting is a grind and an inexact science and can make other options look better. However, I can't believe that a coach who prides himself on team defense would be happy coaching in the NBA where players are paid more than the coach and a high paid prima donna can "run" the team. I think Self likes to teach and develop his players into men and in the NBA the coach seems to have less influence on player development and are clearly disposable. Self has a chance to be one of the elite college basketball coaches based on career wins when he ultimately retires and by being at KU and in the Big XII he has the best chance to accomplish that feat.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Larry Brown stayed five years...those are in dog years. Translated, his five years equals 15 years for any other coach. Kansas was one of his longest tenures ever.

Phoghorn 1 year, 10 months ago

Blown Jay: "I feel like we have been watching the brand of basketball that we were all so scared of seeing when Self first arrived from the Big 10." YES, YES, YES. The same brand of basketball Coach Self used to defeat us when he was at Illinois.

Boouk 1 year, 10 months ago

Adams must improve his 3 point shooting and ball handling in the offseason. I seriously can't recall him making a shot beyond 15 feet this season, and many of his shots beyond 15 feet were badly missed. He has as much upside/talent as Tyshawn Taylor, but he has a long way to go before he's even close to his full potential.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Seeing Adams and White get minutes, it demonstrates exactly why Adams and White need to get game minutes.

First, game minutes knock off the rust. Game minues make a player more comfortable the next time. Look at White vs. WVU. How long since that guy really has shot an airball I wonder. Well, get pulled off the bench, hostile environment, ESPN, Big Monday .. nerves can impact just a bit there. Those were important minutes. He needs those minutes to be ready, if needed, down the road -- whether because foul trouble or injury. Same for Adams.

Second, the game minutes are important because bench players don't get significant minutes offensively in practice now because we are in the middle of the season, and practice time is precious -- there is a the need to get the regular rotation guys ready. Adams mentioned the following above, “I’m not going to lie. I wasn’t prepared for that at all,” Adams said of being point guard versus the Sooners. “Mainly in practice I play a lot of defense. When I was out there to get the opportunity I took full advantage of it, but just wasn’t ready."

This quote should be embedded in our minds. He knows he wasn't ready.

We don't want two guys that we may have to fall back on in March/April -- due to injury or foul trouble -- who aren't ready. I was glad to see Self get these guys road minutes. I really hope he makes a point of getting these guys in, letting them get a little comfortable -- so we have a couple of ready options available as we get deeper into the season.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree fully. Recently, I find myself looking for gametime opportunities for those 2 players to get on the floor. Come tournament time I really hope to have seen Andrew and Rio build up to 5 or 6 minutes of dependable play. I grind dentures when starters don't protect significant leads which would allow these two to come off the bench.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

The best news about White in that game was yes, he was 1-4 from the line and shot an airball 3, BUT that's the best I've seen him on D at least.

I remember a good reason for a lack of mins. being that he was a liability defensively, but he didn't appear to be a liability in that game at least.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

I think White has a green light each time he steps on the court. I think when Self nods, he tells White to let it fly. The kid needs reps and shots to get his stroke.

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

I have a feeling we'll be seeing AW3 again. Yeah, he looked ROUGH on offense, but I think Self is probably aware of all the factors you just listed--first time playing in awhile, hostile environment, national TV, AND playing in his home state in front of family. Furthermore, White nabbed 4 rebounds in 6 minues, which surely catches the eye of the coaches, at least from an effort standpoint.

White also did get to the rim once, even though he missed the layup and one of the free throws.

I'm not as sold on Rio, except for the fact that we honestly need him more than we need AW3. As has been discussed ad nauseum lately, our PG play is really suffering, and that's with two "healthy" (theoretically) options. Heaven forbid EJ's knees up and quit on him or Tharpe gets hurt.

My issue with Rio is that, if all he's doing in practice is playing defense, then why isn't his defense better? That's the big red flag for me--sure, I bet he's a little rusty, but that shouldn't be as obvious on defense as it is on offense. He still uses both hands to "sense" his man when defending--it leads to all sorts of problems. Number one is obviously the potential for getting called for fouling, but looking deeper, it also becomes a crutch that supplants proper footwork and lateral movement. And as I mentioned earlier, when you're playing defense on your man with your hands, it means you can't be sticking your arms up to deflect any passes that come a little too close.

He's clearly got a lot of potential and is incredibly athletic, but he's just not showing a lot of positive, other than enthusiasm and energy, which is a really good thing (especially given some of the signs that we saw earlier in the season that dissatisfaction and/or attitude might become a problem. I'm proud of him for seeming to get back on track as a team player, but he's got a ways to go before he's getting significant backup minutes, unless Self has no choice.

Hank Cross 1 year, 10 months ago

I was also struck by the "I wasn't prepared" line. I'm guessing that Rio doesn't get to chose what preparation he recieves. The time for any meaningful minutes for him and White, however, has passed. Not because they may be needed, but we all know that Self dramatically shortens the bench once conference play begins- even if KU is beating TCU by 30 with 2 minutes left in the game.

It would be nice to have them somewhat 'bloodied' before a tourney game, but I think another issue is why Wesley has been completely frozen out, I heard he was injured, but if he's ready to go, why not give him some time. I think the inside game in terms of bulk and size is the real weakness on this team.

rockchalker5 1 year, 10 months ago

Keep this attitude up Rio and you will have great success at KU

TXChalker 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't forget to vote for Naismith Student Section of the Year at I Love College Hoops. https://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Summary: Self will consider a job with certain pro franchises, but does not expect them to be offered to him in the near future.

Comment: He is happy at KU, but after he wins another ring, will look at pro offers both to wealth maximize and to stop having to suck up to 15-17 year olds year round.

Question: How much does he relish the prospect of having to suck up to a bunch of grown men with FU money and posses year round?

Chris1955 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not sure that I see Bill's ego leading him to the NBA. Mostly, for the reason mentioned in your last sentence.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Rio is getting it and is learning his role. He is so much like RussRob. His attitude will pay off in the near future if he keeps his mind in check. I am encouraged if Self "checked in" on Wiggins. If Self took the time to check in, it means KU has a big chance. I also think Randle is high on KU right now. We could land both and it will be interesting to see how Self works the paper.

741hawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Notice the arm lengths for comparison.!

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

I didn't realize Wigs was considering N Carolina. I wonder how much his bro attending WSU is weighing on his decision?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 10 months ago

A 6'3" combo guard that shoots lights out in high school is struggling to see 1-2 minutes a game at KU...yes we are spoiled, but if this guy sticks with it, he'll understand why he had the opportunity to go to Kansas and might actually have the ability to go pro (NBA or overseas).

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Self could lean on his wife, dad, Larry Brown, Eddie Sutton, and possibly Bobby Knight who thinks highly of Self. He might even shout out to Popovich too. That would be a dynamic group of "experts."

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Has anyone seen the mock drafts right now? I was shocked at Withey's position and more so at who was ranked over him right now as a center. Withey should be the top rated center with his stats. I was surprised at who was ranked over him.

Noel enjoyed some Withey tapes. Calipari broke out KU games of Withey's blocks and told Noel to watch how it was done. It paid off because the kid had 10 blocks in their last game. Noel wasn't blocking much, but those Withey tapes must have paid dividends.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Just a refresher question because I already forgot. Where did Milton Doyle end up deciding to go anyway?

onegonzo 1 year, 10 months ago

Milton "makes everyone around him better" Doyle has signed a letter of intent to attend the University of Kansas.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

Did he wind up at Loyola University of Chicago? I kremember that he's staying close to home in Chicago

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 10 months ago

Basketball related but off topic. Interesting seeing Nerlens Noel get 12 blocks last night. Even more interesting is the two photos ESPN chose for its web sites of Noel blocking shots (Main College BBall and game recap), look like obvious fouls rather than blocks. I also noticed that there are about half a dozen articles about this game, which is 3 times more coverage than most of the important games get. East Cost bias at its best. In a related subject, I saw part of the Baylor women BBall game where Brittney Griner had a large number of blocks and, not watching women's BBall very often, I was surprised that most of the time she hardly even jumped in some she never got off the ground. I guess this is what happens when a 5'4" guard runs right into a 6'8" center. Not to take from her accomplishments but to compare her block stats to those by male players is a joke. Again, no offense to her or women's BBall, but the stats cannot compared.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

She is a freak of women's bball, no offense to Griner. She would beat my azz on the court.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

The only problem with the East Coast bias point is Kentucky, which stretches to the Mississippi River really wouldn't be considered east coast. And I hate them too, but they've certainly garnered a lot of attention lately for some very obvious reasons.

No offense, but I think we look pretty petty when we make these types of comments.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed. Kentucky is definitely not East Coast. If you're going to claim East Coast bias is working for Kentucky then the angle would be to identify it as a conference affiliation bias. As the SEC does have "east coast" programs in South Carolina, Florida, and you could also maybe include Georgia.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

My KU degree is in Geography, so I do know Kentucky is not east coast!

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

It's not East Coast bias.

It's Worldwide Wes bias. Calipari is deeply connected to all the people AROUND college and pro basketball and that makes his program one of interest, which in turn builds more connections. It's an effing perpetual motion machine and it's out of control.

Watch that little [expletive] get DPOY over Withey after ESPN ramps up the hype machine.

Worth noting: I watched the last 10 minutes of that game. Noel had 4 fouls (and 6 blocks) at the 8:00 minute mark of the game. He proceeded to block 6 more shots--a lot of them with extensive body and or arm contact--and not get called for another foul. I know it must sound rich coming from a KU fan, who enjoys Withey's un-fouling block ways, but I thought I was watching the Twilight Zone.

Not once did the announcers even wonder if Noel might've gotten the shooter with his body on any of the subsequent blocks.

And now that Kentucky has gotten a "signature" win (does Ole Miss really even count?), they will be in the tournament, barring a complete collapse and multi-game losing streak.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 10 months ago

Vitale called it "Kentucky comes of age with win"

Brennan " Naturally, he's back at it after Kentucky's impressive win at Ole Miss Tuesday night,"

Really?

Both of the photos that ESPN had of Noel blocking shot were obvious fouls.

Block

Block by JayHawkFanToo

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes east coast bias aka "Jay Bi(l)as" ....

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Random thoughts.

1] I'd place the "over" of Bill's tenure right at another ten years and the "under" at five years minimum. [He won't leave with Tyler on the team, that's for sure or Cindy would kill him!! ]

2] I honestly think Rio and AWIII will be in a dogfight with the class that's coming in for PT next season....but that will be a good thing.

3] I agree with my pal, Jaybate..if Bill gets that second ring, his legacy is totally secure as the only two time NC Coach in KU history not named Phog and he'll be off to Oklahoma City and the NBA.

4] Caught the UK/Mississippi game..wow, do these teams suck and would KU just destroy either of them!!

5] Just a note to Jesse, Matt, Tom, etc....maybe a brief weekly summary of how our five recruits are doing would be nice. I know we get random updates [concussions, all-star nominations, etc.] but scoring, rebounding, team status would be great...just saying!!

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Oak- you need to order some more Randle and some Wigs?

Oak,

Have they inked with you on the stadium rehab? I am disappointed that there seems to be no options to get you involved with the Field House, so I want to bang the drum for you to do the football field. I know you would come up with something great.

Boouk 1 year, 10 months ago

OKC won't fire Scott Brooks, even if they can get Self.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

These reporters are idiots. Katz trying to start something with Self going somewhere else. I can't stand these guys who do this. It's almost as if he's saying "Why would you want to stay in Kansas when you could go anywhere, pro or college, that you want in this country.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Unless EJ's knees are in free fall, file thoughts of Rio playing 10 mpg against anything but 0-4 and 0-5 teams this season (or in blowouts) in the fantasy folder on your desktop.

Its past mid January and Self is still talking openly about trust.

Ditto AW3.

Some potential recruits were perhaps at the WVU game and playing the frosh helped recruiting them?

The trust of a great coach does not come easy, unless he has no one else to trust.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

I just contradicted myself below. :-)

But Okie State is the exception that proves the rule. :-)

OSU goes 9 deep and its a Saturday game with a Monday chaser, I believe.

So: Self has to go deep to his bench either Saturday, or Monday. I suspect he will have to go to his bench against Okie State, because Ford will force him to.

jgkojak 1 year, 10 months ago

1) Good to see us taking advantage of that annual trip to West Virginia.

2) Lifetime Contract for Coach Self. Yes to this. The recruits we go after are partially looking for that family atmosphere - where they know they can come back in 5, 10, 15 years and contribute.

3) Self is smart enough to realize he has a better job than almost any NBA Coach. Better? Only the 2-3 highest profile jobs (Knicks, Lakers, Bulls) or something with a family/regional interest like the Thunder or San Antonio. Who wants the abuse you get as coach of the Knicks, etc. that's not who Self is. I see the NBA as a bucket list kind of deal for him once he's won 2-3 titles at KS.

jgkojak 1 year, 10 months ago

Also I bet coach has talked to Larry Brown about the NBA - and Larry has said "stay at Kansas"

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't see Self going ANYWHERE. He's constantly said how much he loves his job at KU. There's not another college job out there that he would leave for.....he knows the Kansas job is the best gig to have. And there's no way he goes to the NBA as he stresses defense and they don't play much D in that league. 7 more wins, and he'll be halfway to catching Phog on the all time KU wins list. He could pass Phog in another 10 or 11 years. I believe (and hope) that he stays here the rest of his coaching career. :) However, he's smart to "never say never" as he told Illinois he would be there for the long haul...not expecting the KU job to open up. And of course Roy made the same mistake/comment in 2000.

Ends and Odds...

I would feel much better about regime change in the middle east, if Self were negotiating for us with Iran. He never closes doors, he always paradoxes, and he never squeezes to hard, or lets up too much. And he's like a nagging wife about the details.

• Each season reveals how much harder it is for board rats to keep a steady hand on the controls than it is for Self. I have already guessed wrong on Ben's injury and thought that they could not play this skinny and win. And I won't even go into the judgment errors of others. He is an amazing man. Period.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 10 months ago

jaybate,

Don't you also think Larry Brown has provided some wisdom as to the lay of the NBA land? Your question above is indeed the 60 thousand dollar question; is he willing to tollerate entitlement players and stroke egos more than coach young'ns and turn kids into men?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

Bill Self doesn't roll out of bed for 60 thousand dollar questions.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Gotta be in the several millions, as Boone learned.

BC,

Brown is a hard read for me. Based on what he says, the worst things he ever did were leave UCLA, and Kansas. On the other hand, once he was in the pros he never looked back at D1 until he couldn't get arrested in the NBA. And recall that in his debacle with the Knicks, he reputedly cleared $20M in the settlement. $20M in a settlement is good pocket money. It set him up for life, as an independently wealthy man, who could afford to jet all around the country for 2-3 years attending practices of his disciples and then eventually get back in coaching, when many are ready to check into assisted living. Self is making a lot of money at KU. And its guarantied for quite a few years. But he could make as much in five years coaching in the pros as he would in ten years at KU. Maybe more. Self seems like the kind of guy that will sooner or later try to cash in. $20-30M could make his children independently wealthy.

nostradavid 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't feel bad about having "guessed wrong" on Ben's ankle. You have to bet on some long-shots to win big. A lot of us were not worried about the ankle. Being mocked by 'bate for our faith in the healing power of the Phog was an honor.

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

One thing we know for sure is that Bill Self will be at Kansas until his son graduates. I predict at least two final four trips in the next 4 years.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 10 months ago

I look forward to watching Adams when it is "his turn." He has a lot of potential and he sure has the right attitude. Another guy I'm proud to say is a Jayhawk.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 10 months ago

Indeed ralster, some of Xavier's factors were controlled by others...and not to Xavier's benefit.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 10 months ago

Xavier would have benefited greatly with an extra year or two at KU. Now, he will likely never be a starter in the NBA, only a role player. Same thing for Julian, he left too early and now he is playing in the D-League. Same thing for Josh...

championhawks 1 year, 10 months ago

So it seems that everyone agrees that Self will not leave KU while Tyler is still here, giving us 4 years to not worry.

Can we start a movement to have Tyler redshirt so we get at least 5 years not to worry?!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Good point..I'll go a step further. I nominate Tyler Self as the Kansas graduate manager after he graduates in 2017. That should give us two more years, at least!!

We're up to seven years..anybody else have some good ideas???

Ethan Berger 1 year, 10 months ago

So it seems its a popular that people think Rio will be our starter at 1 next year. Am I the only one who can't wait for Tharpe to get his chance? With all those 3 point guys next year, he can have guady stats.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Tharpe is getting his chances now to make his point for next year. He still has a chance, but right now, he is struggling a bit. If he doesn't have a season ending stellar tourney, I think the opening will be cracked for Rio next yr. I love Tharpe and was impressed when he committed. He shows glimpses of greatness. His consistency is going to be huge. He has an edge on Rio.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Self is getting Sadler ready to take his place when Bill leaves. Probably 4 to 5 years and then it will all be in Docs hands.

ParisHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Wait and see first if he becomes an assistant coach. He's got Ronnie Chalmers' job right now...

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

Except Ronnie Chalmers only had Ronnie Chalmers' job because of Mario Chalmers, and because Danny Manning wanted to be an assistant. The record is pretty clear that, aside from Chalmers, former KU DBO's go on to be head coaches. Former DBO Danny Manning, now a head coach. Former DBO Barry Hinson, now a head coach. Who else was DBO? Bret Ballard? Head coach at Baker.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

I posted this earlier but my choice is Brad Stevens from Butler...even if HCBS stays another 10 years [which would be great, by the way] Brad would only be 46 and primed to take over an elite program!!

DCLawHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Stevens is a great choice. I'd take him in a heartbeat, though I like Turgeon too.

oldalum 1 year, 10 months ago

I'll never believe that! (I was responding to wildjayhawk about Doc Sadler)

jrbill67 1 year, 10 months ago

If Johnson & Tharp don't get their acts together soon, Rio might be seeing some important playing time.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"JAYBATE INTELLIGENCE ESTIMATE: OKIE STATE"

Part 1

COACH: Travis Ford, solid X's and O's, decent recruiter, major vulnerability to height jokes.

ROTATION SIZE: 9 average more than 12 mpg, so they have more useable depth than KU.

PERIMETER ROTATION:

S-Markel Brown 6-3 190 JR, 35 3%.

S-Marcus Smart 6-4 225 FR, 30 3%.

S-Phil Forte 5-11 195 FR, 39 3%.

D-Kirby Gardner 6-2 200 JR, 14 3%.

Strong, athletic, not very long and weak trey shooters. KU holds some edge here in length. But these guys will expose EJ's knee and they will rough Tharpe up and be longer than him. We have a problem on the perimeter, unless EJ is playing much better than he has of late. On the flip side, they don't have anyone that can contain Ben, if Ben is hitting from trey, because then his get to the rim game will kick in.

SWINGMAN ROTATION:

S-Le'Bryan Nash 6-7 230 SO, 24 3%.

D-Jean Paul Olukemi 6-6 215 SR 33 3%.

Two deep, strong and long, very athletic, but again lousy trey shooters. Two deep means lots of fouls to give. KU's Travis Releford is a much more well rounded player, these two are going to wear him down and their size is going to make it very difficult for him on both ends of the floor. Self will have to go the bench to handle this situation, but to who?

INSIDE ROTATION:

S-Kamari Murphy 6-8 210 FR, 45 2%.

D-Michael Cobbins 6-8 220 RS SO, 52 2%.

D-Phillip Jurick 6-11 260 SR, 67 2%.

Nice 3 man rotation with one wide body who shoots a high percentage from the floor, but can't play big minutes, and two Long and athletics, that can run the floor, but are only average shooters. KU matches their athleticism, but can't bang with Jurick. On the other hand, KU goes nearly 4 deep now and has Withey blocking and altering two of three guys that aren't great shooters. The inside game should be close till ten minutes to go. The last ten minutes of the game KU's 4-deep rotation should separate and hurt OSU bad.

QUANTITATIVE OVERVIEW

SHOOTING AND GUARDING THE SHOOTING:

OSU 3PT Shooting: Poor--team averages 33% from trey.

OSU 3PT Guarding: Very Good--hold opponents to 32%.

OSU 2PT Shooting: Average--team averages 44%

OSU 2PT Guarding: Very Good--hold opponents to 38%.

OSU FT Shooting Edge: Excellent--OSU 76%, Opponents 66%

Assessment: OSU is a poor 3pt shooting and an average 2pt shooting team that guards both kinds of shooting very well. Good defense, weak outside shooting, and average inside shooting team. They guard the trey stripe REALLY HARD. If our guys can ding the trinities, we should kill these guys. If our guys have one of the 20% games, this could be our second loss.

Part 2

GLASS VACCING:

OSU Rebounding Edge: Good, +4 rig over all, even on offensive glass, big edge on defensive glass

KU Rebounding Edge: Good, +6.4 rpg over all, weak offensive rebounding, big edge on defensive glass

Summary: KU rebounds better over all, but OSU rebounds much better than KU offensively. If KU can use its size, depth and athleticism, plus Withey's blocking and altering to cut down OSU's usual offensive rebounding advantage, this alone could set OSU up for defeat.

THE FOULING WARS

OSU Foul Edge: Very Good, -35 for season.

KU Foul Edge: Excellent, -54 for season.

OSU FT%: 76%.

KU FT%: 72%.

Summary: Both teams foul much less than their opponents, so something's got to give here. KU 's edge is sharply greater than OSU's in this regard. That is double edged. Its great if KU can maintain it, but its a very big loss to KU's winning edge if KU loses this increment. This advantage should be extremely difficult for KU to maintain in this game. And if KU gets into a 1 for 1 FT shooting contest with OSU, OSU will probably win it decisively.

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND PROTECTION:

OSU Turn Over Edge: excellent, -40 for season.

KU Turn Over Edge: poor, +8 for season.

Summary: OSU protects WAAAY better than KU. This is OSU's biggest advantage over KU. If KU doesn't clean up its act against OSU, this likely will be a dagger in KU's heart.

DEPARTMENT OF SWAT AND ALTER:

OSU Block Edge: Good, 2:1.

KU Block Edge: Very Good 2.5:1.

OSU blocks lots of shots. KU blocks lots of shots. This could look like a volley ball game full of spikes at the net for awhile. OSU and KU have grown used to holding big edges in this department. This is another one of those something's got to give stats. OSU does most of their blocking with hops. Jeff is still a footer with five minutes to go. Edge KU.

Part 3

BURGLARY DETAIL:

OSU Steal Edge: Very Good +25 for season KU Steal Edge: Good, +18 for season

Summary: OSU can keep any Burglary Detail busy with investigations into their thefts. These guys know how to pinch. KU has had a lot of trouble at times with ball pressure and lane raiding by opponents, but at other times it has protected pretty well. KU needs to strip and protect now more than ever. Edge OSU.

DEPARTMENT OF SCORING EDGES

OSU Scoring Edge: Good +12.4 ppg for season KU Scoring Edge: Very Good +15.3 ppg for season

Summary: If KU fans think KU is winning ugly by small margins by relying heavily on defense, then OSU fans must think their Cowboy mascot has grown as pretty as George Clooney, or Denzel, in comparison with how OSU wins ugly. We beat our opponents by slightly bigger margins, but we average 73 and they average 70. Talk about two teams that like to get down and wallow like hogs in the mud!!!!! Edge KU.

DEPARTMENT OF DISRUPTION:

OSU Disruption Stat: Good (133+90)/234 = 223/234 = .95

KU Disruption Stat: Excellent (148+149)/265 = 297/265 = 1.12

jaybate's most beloved statistic, because it captures within soooooooooooo much of what is going on in the floor game dynamics fortunately favors KU. But...OSU is very near the magic 1.0 level of the state and so OSU has to be viewed very warily in the disruption realm, because KU is particularly vulnerable right now to stripping. KU's game depends basically on being able to strip nearly as much as an opponent and block way more, while protecting decently. OSU's game distills to stripping way more, block some more, and protecting waaaaaay better. Common sense tells us that between two teams that win with defense and ball protection, distruption is going to be an important, perhaps the most important, theater of operations. I would not be surprised to see both teams come out in DARPA's new invisibility suits, put a much of shellacked wood camouflage on their faces, and operate with maximum terrorist and counter terrorist disruption techniques buzzer to buzzer. We are talking dueling JSOCs here (joint special operations commands). This looming battle for the disruption statistic is going to be the kind of encounter that could seduce Self's manhood and draw him into a kind of warfare that KU cannot prevail in with this particular opponent.

Part 4

CONCLUSION: KU 10. KU should win this game down the stretch inside and with Ben. But to win it, either Travis has to have the game of his life, or someone has to pick up at least half of his usual scoring. Its going to be very difficult for Trav, because they have 10 fouls and lots of size against him. It will also be most interesting to see if Self chooses to try to win the disruption stat, or simply hold it even, and attack OSU inside and with Ben, where KU holds increasing advantages as the game wears on. KU's biggest risk is that OSU's 9 man rotation will force Self to go to the bench so frequently the first half that Self won't be able to fully exploit the edge his starting five holds until the stretch. OSU could well open up a 10 point lead by the end of the first half, if Self subs freely enough to keep his starters fresh not only for a second half sprint with ten to go, but also for the inevitable Monday game to follow. If you are Travis Ford, you are exhorting your players to try to win the game in the first half. To put pressure on KU like they have not seen, and to amp it even higher when OSU's more experienced reserves enter and Self sends in his less experienced reserves. If OSU is to win, it must win it based on the strength of its reserves opening up a big lead the first half. If OSU goes into half time even, or up 5 or less, then the second half will almost certainly favor KU and KU will win.

One more thing: Not only Dir, Jamari and Perry need to be ready for action, but this could well be an acid test for AW3 and Rio. Self won't want to play AW3 and Rio in this game, but unless his starters can open up a big lead from the beginning with some good trey shooting, OSU's Ford will go deeply to his bench early and often and force Self to do the same. With all the defense and JSOC disruption operations that will be being run, there may or may not be blood, but there will be fouls. AW3 and Rio, you may get a call for some big time minutes in this one, even though Self will try like heck to have to resort to you.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

As always, good stuff jb. I really only had seen OSU play once .. so I feel more up to speed.

And the second good thing I saw this evening .. MU drop one to a pedestrian LSU team. Wow.

VailHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Down goes Mizzery....again. And I don't feel any guilt like when UNC loses...

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

kellerman started a nice discussion above. I share his optimism on Randle.

2013-14

1] Tharpe 2] Adams 3] White 4] Ellis 4a] Randle

6] Selden 7] Lucas or Traylor 8] Greene 9] Embiid

Perhaps the loser of the Lucas/Traylor battle gets very little PT; or if Embiid is clearly not ready, then the 2nd option there slips into that 9th rotation spot.

Selden could push or displace Adams based on his apparent skill level. But Self will likely prefer the returning player. We know that.

We really need Randle. Without him, our second starting post position is a big question mark. Traylor looks to be a back up at best. We have no idea on Lucas and Embiid.

Randle is as big of a "need" recruit as we've had in quite a while.

Michael Bennett 1 year, 10 months ago

I could see Frankamp running some backup point as well

HEM,

What a wonderful team to watch mature through a year. It could have some tough stretches, but imagine being able to bring Traylor, Lucas and Embiid off the bench for inside play.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Do you really not see Connor Frankamp playing next year or is that just an oversight on your part HEM?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry I saw this late .. right, I don't see Frankamp playing much next season. Numbers. What guards does he beat out?

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 10 months ago

My thoughts on the 2013-14 rotation (lots of speculation and variables):

(1) Tharpe/Adams/Frankamp/Mason (2) Selden/White/Frankamp (3) Ellis/Greene/White (4) Randle/Ellis/Traylor/Lucas (5) Lucas/Embiid

I could even see Tharpe, Selden Greene, Ellis and Randle on the floor together. Fun indeed.

jayhawks1009 1 year, 10 months ago

The 2013-14 Starting lineups and Rotation has become a product of major debate and discussion. I love hearing what people have to say with regards to their own opinions, and projections for recruits and next years lineup. Now on to my own thoughts and opinions. I do indeed agree that we have a good shot with Randle, probably around a 35-40% percent. I Think our biggest competition if Florida just because Donovan and Randle have a relationship from when he coached him. If I had to make a prediction today I would say he comes to KU because he realizes the impact he could make as a freshmen in order to help us continue our winning tradition. I Would be be surprised if he got Wiggins but would accept him in a heartbeat. But in reality I think he will go to Florida State. because they are all in on him and both of his parents went there. I cant see him going to Kentucky because the class they already have may be shout for Playing time even if he is the best player in the Country. Now for the fun part, next years starting lineups and rotation at the beginning of the year, not when Bill Self shortens it for conference play 1) Tharpe will Start because he will be the only on scholarship upperclassmen, and though he Adams and Frankamp may have more talent, they haven't been in Bill Self's system for three years. Rio and Frankamp will have a battle for backup Point Guard minutes. I think Rio wins this one to start with them splitting minutes as the season goes on 2) Seldon starts here because he is the best guard we have on our team talent wise and looks to make an immediate impact like Mclemore did this year but those are unrealistic expectations and he will be a solid two year player. Brannen Greene will split time between the two and three spots but he will probably be a two most of the time. He will split time with Frankamp (as an undersized 1-2 hybrid) 3) Andrew White will start next year. He has been playing pretty lately (Besides the WVU game) and his defense has improved significantly throughout the season will do nothing but the same during the off season. As far as a backup goes, Greene and Ellis will split minutes but the edge goes to Greene because Ellis will mostly be playing a four position 4) Ellis will start here easily. With Traylor being a nice backup to bring a different style of play and a change of pace down low. 4a) Randle has to start here. He and Randle will create could possibly the most dynamic duo in the post in the Bill Self era. He is a great player that will likely be a one and done, because once he leaves it fits perfect for Lucas and Embiid to step in and take over the role. as they will be competing for backup minutes behind Randle I look forward to hearing your feedback and criticisms of this post.