Wednesday, January 30, 2013

KU freshman Rio Adams bringing energy, on and off court

Kansas guard Rio Adams points to teammate Kevin Young after Young's breakaway dunk following a steal against Oklahoma during the first half on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse. At left is Oklahoma guard Cameron Clark.

One of the most enthusiastic cheerleaders on Kansas University’s basketball bench, Rio Adams is attempting to take that same spirit onto the court during games.

“I’m trying to be the best I can be ... for my teammates, keep that energy going,” said Adams, KU’s 6-foot-3 freshman combo guard from Seattle.

He played two minutes in Monday’s 61-56 victory at West Virginia, three in Saturday’s 67-54 home win over Oklahoma and two minutes the game before that — a 59-55 win over Kansas State on Jan. 22 in Manhattan.

“Giving my all is what I’m trying to do for my team when I’m out there. That’s what I’m doing,” said Adams, who was spotted on camera dancing on the KU bench after Jayhawk threes in both the OU and KSU games.

Adams — he averaged 21.0 points, 6.0 assists and 5.0 rebounds per game his senior season at Class 3A state champion Rainier Beach High (he scored 54 points in a game as a sophomore) — obviously knows his role is not to be a prolific scorer on this year’s KU team. He’s scored 12 points all season off 5-of-17 shooting and 2-of-2 free throwing.

“Right now I’m in position to give coach (Bill Self) what he needs. (Against Oklahoma) I was there specifically to play defense and keep our point spread spread out. We get a lot of wins because of our defense. That’s what we rely on first. Coach didn’t really care about the offense — just don’t turn it over. We are a defensive team for sure, first.”

Adams was able to run the team on a couple possessions during the OU game.

“I’m not going to lie. I wasn’t prepared for that at all,” Adams said of being point guard versus the Sooners. “Mainly in practice I play a lot of defense. When I was out there to get the opportunity I took full advantage of it, but just wasn’t ready. I enjoyed it a lot. I was very excited. I work for my minutes and earned those minutes I got.”

Adams said he’s grateful for any time he gets during games.

“When I do (get minutes) I’m going to take full advantage of them every time,” he said. “I appreciate coach getting more comfortable with me day to day. I’m working on being the best I can be. I’m just staying focused, working hard every day for coach. I’m trying to get my minutes that I deserve because I’m working.”

Adams indicated there’s a big difference between high school and college basketball.

“It’s a very difficult transition,” he said. “The guys are a lot more physical. It has to do with your focus and the effort you want to put in at times. They (coaches) watch that a lot. When I first got here, that wasn’t my focus at all. I wasn’t as focused as I should have been. My mind was somewhere else. Now I’m here and it’s the right time for me to catch my focus. I’m giving my all. Any time coach puts me out there when my number is called I will give my all.”

Adams said it’s not difficult to be ready to enter games when called upon.

“Thinking positive, letting stuff roll off my back,” he said are keys. “You are going to make mistakes. It’s basketball. I treat it like I did when growing up. I would say all the veterans help me. They let me know what I didn’t know when I first came here, to let it (criticism) roll off my back and keep playing hard.”

Of Adams, KU coach Self said: “I think Rio could potentially be a good defender. He does some things on the ball that’s really good, not as good off the ball. He is young and figuring things out, also. I want him to be a guy we can play and trust and do all that stuff 10 minutes a game. The reality is and he knows this, I’ve got to get where I trust him, not to do what we don’t teach. He’ll get there.”

Halfcourt mania: Kansas Athletics uploaded a video to YouTube which shows KU’s Naadir Tharpe and Ben McLemore hitting halfcourt shots at the end of a shootaround on Monday at WVU Coliseum in Morgantown, W.Va.

Oh yes ... KU director of operations Doc Sadler also hit a halfcourt shot in the video.

“It was definitely skill. It was not luck at all. For the right amount of money I could probably teach some of you how to do that,” Sadler joked to the audience at Tuesday’s weekly “Hawk Talk” radio show. “They’re not talking about the dunk that I had. That’s what everybody was more surprised about.”

Seriously folks ... “I said, ‘Let me have one shot at it and I’ll show you how to do it,’” Sadler said, joking with Jayhawk players who had trouble converting from halfcourt. “It took me one shot. It didn’t take 20. Again ... the dunk nobody has seen was probably a bit more impressive.”

Recruiting Wiggins: KU coach Self visited Huntington (W.Va.) Prep on Tuesday to check in on Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 small forward, JayhawkSlant.com reported. Wiggins, who is the No. 1 rated player in the Class of 2013, lists KU, Kentucky, Florida State, North Carolina and others. KU is also pursuing the No. 2 player in the class, Julius Randle, 6-9 power forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas.

Future: KU coach Self on Tuesday discussed his future with ESPN’s Andy Katz. He was asked the question, “What would be your next move and who would you lean on for advice?” Self’s answer: “If we’re ever going to move again, which I certainly don’t see, want or anticipate because we love it here, I would lean on my dad and my wife. And then maybe some experts in the field. I haven’t looked at another situation seriously since I’ve been here. A lot was made of the Oklahoma State situation five years ago, but that was one that the timing was not right and I don’t see the timing being right any time in the near future.”

About possibly coaching in the NBA, he said: “I don’t feel it. I can’t say never because there have been a lot of people tell me that it would be an unbelievable situation to get into, and coaches yearn for that, but I think I’ve got a better job than a lot of guys in the league.”

All-star game: KU signee Joel Embiid, 7-foot center from The Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., has been invited to play in the Jordan Brand Classic on April 13 in New York, The Rock School announced on Twitter.

Comments

jayhawks1009 1 year, 2 months ago

The 2013-14 Starting lineups and Rotation has become a product of major debate and discussion. I love hearing what people have to say with regards to their own opinions, and projections for recruits and next years lineup. Now on to my own thoughts and opinions. I do indeed agree that we have a good shot with Randle, probably around a 35-40% percent. I Think our biggest competition if Florida just because Donovan and Randle have a relationship from when he coached him. If I had to make a prediction today I would say he comes to KU because he realizes the impact he could make as a freshmen in order to help us continue our winning tradition. I Would be be surprised if he got Wiggins but would accept him in a heartbeat. But in reality I think he will go to Florida State. because they are all in on him and both of his parents went there. I cant see him going to Kentucky because the class they already have may be shout for Playing time even if he is the best player in the Country. Now for the fun part, next years starting lineups and rotation at the beginning of the year, not when Bill Self shortens it for conference play 1) Tharpe will Start because he will be the only on scholarship upperclassmen, and though he Adams and Frankamp may have more talent, they haven't been in Bill Self's system for three years. Rio and Frankamp will have a battle for backup Point Guard minutes. I think Rio wins this one to start with them splitting minutes as the season goes on 2) Seldon starts here because he is the best guard we have on our team talent wise and looks to make an immediate impact like Mclemore did this year but those are unrealistic expectations and he will be a solid two year player. Brannen Greene will split time between the two and three spots but he will probably be a two most of the time. He will split time with Frankamp (as an undersized 1-2 hybrid) 3) Andrew White will start next year. He has been playing pretty lately (Besides the WVU game) and his defense has improved significantly throughout the season will do nothing but the same during the off season. As far as a backup goes, Greene and Ellis will split minutes but the edge goes to Greene because Ellis will mostly be playing a four position 4) Ellis will start here easily. With Traylor being a nice backup to bring a different style of play and a change of pace down low. 4a) Randle has to start here. He and Randle will create could possibly the most dynamic duo in the post in the Bill Self era. He is a great player that will likely be a one and done, because once he leaves it fits perfect for Lucas and Embiid to step in and take over the role. as they will be competing for backup minutes behind Randle I look forward to hearing your feedback and criticisms of this post.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 2 months ago

My thoughts on the 2013-14 rotation (lots of speculation and variables):

(1) Tharpe/Adams/Frankamp/Mason (2) Selden/White/Frankamp (3) Ellis/Greene/White (4) Randle/Ellis/Traylor/Lucas (5) Lucas/Embiid

I could even see Tharpe, Selden Greene, Ellis and Randle on the floor together. Fun indeed.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

kellerman started a nice discussion above. I share his optimism on Randle.

2013-14

1] Tharpe 2] Adams 3] White 4] Ellis 4a] Randle

6] Selden 7] Lucas or Traylor 8] Greene 9] Embiid

Perhaps the loser of the Lucas/Traylor battle gets very little PT; or if Embiid is clearly not ready, then the 2nd option there slips into that 9th rotation spot.

Selden could push or displace Adams based on his apparent skill level. But Self will likely prefer the returning player. We know that.

We really need Randle. Without him, our second starting post position is a big question mark. Traylor looks to be a back up at best. We have no idea on Lucas and Embiid.

Randle is as big of a "need" recruit as we've had in quite a while.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Part 4

CONCLUSION: KU 10. KU should win this game down the stretch inside and with Ben. But to win it, either Travis has to have the game of his life, or someone has to pick up at least half of his usual scoring. Its going to be very difficult for Trav, because they have 10 fouls and lots of size against him. It will also be most interesting to see if Self chooses to try to win the disruption stat, or simply hold it even, and attack OSU inside and with Ben, where KU holds increasing advantages as the game wears on. KU's biggest risk is that OSU's 9 man rotation will force Self to go to the bench so frequently the first half that Self won't be able to fully exploit the edge his starting five holds until the stretch. OSU could well open up a 10 point lead by the end of the first half, if Self subs freely enough to keep his starters fresh not only for a second half sprint with ten to go, but also for the inevitable Monday game to follow. If you are Travis Ford, you are exhorting your players to try to win the game in the first half. To put pressure on KU like they have not seen, and to amp it even higher when OSU's more experienced reserves enter and Self sends in his less experienced reserves. If OSU is to win, it must win it based on the strength of its reserves opening up a big lead the first half. If OSU goes into half time even, or up 5 or less, then the second half will almost certainly favor KU and KU will win.

One more thing: Not only Dir, Jamari and Perry need to be ready for action, but this could well be an acid test for AW3 and Rio. Self won't want to play AW3 and Rio in this game, but unless his starters can open up a big lead from the beginning with some good trey shooting, OSU's Ford will go deeply to his bench early and often and force Self to do the same. With all the defense and JSOC disruption operations that will be being run, there may or may not be blood, but there will be fouls. AW3 and Rio, you may get a call for some big time minutes in this one, even though Self will try like heck to have to resort to you.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Part 3

BURGLARY DETAIL:

OSU Steal Edge: Very Good +25 for season KU Steal Edge: Good, +18 for season

Summary: OSU can keep any Burglary Detail busy with investigations into their thefts. These guys know how to pinch. KU has had a lot of trouble at times with ball pressure and lane raiding by opponents, but at other times it has protected pretty well. KU needs to strip and protect now more than ever. Edge OSU.

DEPARTMENT OF SCORING EDGES

OSU Scoring Edge: Good +12.4 ppg for season KU Scoring Edge: Very Good +15.3 ppg for season

Summary: If KU fans think KU is winning ugly by small margins by relying heavily on defense, then OSU fans must think their Cowboy mascot has grown as pretty as George Clooney, or Denzel, in comparison with how OSU wins ugly. We beat our opponents by slightly bigger margins, but we average 73 and they average 70. Talk about two teams that like to get down and wallow like hogs in the mud!!!!! Edge KU.

DEPARTMENT OF DISRUPTION:

OSU Disruption Stat: Good (133+90)/234 = 223/234 = .95

KU Disruption Stat: Excellent (148+149)/265 = 297/265 = 1.12

jaybate's most beloved statistic, because it captures within soooooooooooo much of what is going on in the floor game dynamics fortunately favors KU. But...OSU is very near the magic 1.0 level of the state and so OSU has to be viewed very warily in the disruption realm, because KU is particularly vulnerable right now to stripping. KU's game depends basically on being able to strip nearly as much as an opponent and block way more, while protecting decently. OSU's game distills to stripping way more, block some more, and protecting waaaaaay better. Common sense tells us that between two teams that win with defense and ball protection, distruption is going to be an important, perhaps the most important, theater of operations. I would not be surprised to see both teams come out in DARPA's new invisibility suits, put a much of shellacked wood camouflage on their faces, and operate with maximum terrorist and counter terrorist disruption techniques buzzer to buzzer. We are talking dueling JSOCs here (joint special operations commands). This looming battle for the disruption statistic is going to be the kind of encounter that could seduce Self's manhood and draw him into a kind of warfare that KU cannot prevail in with this particular opponent.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Part 2

GLASS VACCING:

OSU Rebounding Edge: Good, +4 rig over all, even on offensive glass, big edge on defensive glass

KU Rebounding Edge: Good, +6.4 rpg over all, weak offensive rebounding, big edge on defensive glass

Summary: KU rebounds better over all, but OSU rebounds much better than KU offensively. If KU can use its size, depth and athleticism, plus Withey's blocking and altering to cut down OSU's usual offensive rebounding advantage, this alone could set OSU up for defeat.

THE FOULING WARS

OSU Foul Edge: Very Good, -35 for season.

KU Foul Edge: Excellent, -54 for season.

OSU FT%: 76%.

KU FT%: 72%.

Summary: Both teams foul much less than their opponents, so something's got to give here. KU 's edge is sharply greater than OSU's in this regard. That is double edged. Its great if KU can maintain it, but its a very big loss to KU's winning edge if KU loses this increment. This advantage should be extremely difficult for KU to maintain in this game. And if KU gets into a 1 for 1 FT shooting contest with OSU, OSU will probably win it decisively.

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND PROTECTION:

OSU Turn Over Edge: excellent, -40 for season.

KU Turn Over Edge: poor, +8 for season.

Summary: OSU protects WAAAY better than KU. This is OSU's biggest advantage over KU. If KU doesn't clean up its act against OSU, this likely will be a dagger in KU's heart.

DEPARTMENT OF SWAT AND ALTER:

OSU Block Edge: Good, 2:1.

KU Block Edge: Very Good 2.5:1.

OSU blocks lots of shots. KU blocks lots of shots. This could look like a volley ball game full of spikes at the net for awhile. OSU and KU have grown used to holding big edges in this department. This is another one of those something's got to give stats. OSU does most of their blocking with hops. Jeff is still a footer with five minutes to go. Edge KU.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"JAYBATE INTELLIGENCE ESTIMATE: OKIE STATE"

Part 1

COACH: Travis Ford, solid X's and O's, decent recruiter, major vulnerability to height jokes.

ROTATION SIZE: 9 average more than 12 mpg, so they have more useable depth than KU.

PERIMETER ROTATION:

S-Markel Brown 6-3 190 JR, 35 3%.

S-Marcus Smart 6-4 225 FR, 30 3%.

S-Phil Forte 5-11 195 FR, 39 3%.

D-Kirby Gardner 6-2 200 JR, 14 3%.

Strong, athletic, not very long and weak trey shooters. KU holds some edge here in length. But these guys will expose EJ's knee and they will rough Tharpe up and be longer than him. We have a problem on the perimeter, unless EJ is playing much better than he has of late. On the flip side, they don't have anyone that can contain Ben, if Ben is hitting from trey, because then his get to the rim game will kick in.

SWINGMAN ROTATION:

S-Le'Bryan Nash 6-7 230 SO, 24 3%.

D-Jean Paul Olukemi 6-6 215 SR 33 3%.

Two deep, strong and long, very athletic, but again lousy trey shooters. Two deep means lots of fouls to give. KU's Travis Releford is a much more well rounded player, these two are going to wear him down and their size is going to make it very difficult for him on both ends of the floor. Self will have to go the bench to handle this situation, but to who?

INSIDE ROTATION:

S-Kamari Murphy 6-8 210 FR, 45 2%.

D-Michael Cobbins 6-8 220 RS SO, 52 2%.

D-Phillip Jurick 6-11 260 SR, 67 2%.

Nice 3 man rotation with one wide body who shoots a high percentage from the floor, but can't play big minutes, and two Long and athletics, that can run the floor, but are only average shooters. KU matches their athleticism, but can't bang with Jurick. On the other hand, KU goes nearly 4 deep now and has Withey blocking and altering two of three guys that aren't great shooters. The inside game should be close till ten minutes to go. The last ten minutes of the game KU's 4-deep rotation should separate and hurt OSU bad.

QUANTITATIVE OVERVIEW

SHOOTING AND GUARDING THE SHOOTING:

OSU 3PT Shooting: Poor--team averages 33% from trey.

OSU 3PT Guarding: Very Good--hold opponents to 32%.

OSU 2PT Shooting: Average--team averages 44%

OSU 2PT Guarding: Very Good--hold opponents to 38%.

OSU FT Shooting Edge: Excellent--OSU 76%, Opponents 66%

Assessment: OSU is a poor 3pt shooting and an average 2pt shooting team that guards both kinds of shooting very well. Good defense, weak outside shooting, and average inside shooting team. They guard the trey stripe REALLY HARD. If our guys can ding the trinities, we should kill these guys. If our guys have one of the 20% games, this could be our second loss.

jrbill67 1 year, 2 months ago

If Johnson & Tharp don't get their acts together soon, Rio might be seeing some important playing time.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Self is getting Sadler ready to take his place when Bill leaves. Probably 4 to 5 years and then it will all be in Docs hands.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 2 months ago

So it seems its a popular that people think Rio will be our starter at 1 next year. Am I the only one who can't wait for Tharpe to get his chance? With all those 3 point guys next year, he can have guady stats.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 2 months ago

Does Self have any other kids???

championhawks 1 year, 2 months ago

So it seems that everyone agrees that Self will not leave KU while Tyler is still here, giving us 4 years to not worry.

Can we start a movement to have Tyler redshirt so we get at least 5 years not to worry?!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Im not too worried about Rio's ranking initially, as we are catching glimpses of what it was that Self liked about him. Give him a year in the system and see what it does for him. Lets use a slightly skewed example of Ben McLemore, who was a 30-range recruit, not even a McDAA...but after 1yr in-system, he is totally outplaying top5 recruit Xavier Henry. BMac looking like an overall #1 lotto pick (skewed example because I think we got lucky in landing BMac, and he was likely not on the Calipari radar, not being a top20/or McDAA. Not even close. And the chemistry difference between BMac and Xavier is just leagues apart. (In fairness to Xavier, some factors were not under his control).

iamakufan 1 year, 2 months ago

I look forward to watching Adams when it is "his turn." He has a lot of potential and he sure has the right attitude. Another guy I'm proud to say is a Jayhawk.

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

One thing we know for sure is that Bill Self will be at Kansas until his son graduates. I predict at least two final four trips in the next 4 years.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Ends and Odds...

I would feel much better about regime change in the middle east, if Self were negotiating for us with Iran. He never closes doors, he always paradoxes, and he never squeezes to hard, or lets up too much. And he's like a nagging wife about the details.

• Each season reveals how much harder it is for board rats to keep a steady hand on the controls than it is for Self. I have already guessed wrong on Ben's injury and thought that they could not play this skinny and win. And I won't even go into the judgment errors of others. He is an amazing man. Period.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Got to love the determined "look" in Rio's face and stance in the photo! Again, this kid has swagger/confidence. He is very supportive and a true good-cartoon on the sidelines, but is trying to be all-business on the hardwood. I like it. Only a matter of time before he is a high-flying stud for Selfball. Another awesome tough-ass COMBO guard in-the-making! Enjoy watching him develop and grow in front of us, fellow jhawks!

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't see Self going ANYWHERE. He's constantly said how much he loves his job at KU. There's not another college job out there that he would leave for.....he knows the Kansas job is the best gig to have. And there's no way he goes to the NBA as he stresses defense and they don't play much D in that league. 7 more wins, and he'll be halfway to catching Phog on the all time KU wins list. He could pass Phog in another 10 or 11 years. I believe (and hope) that he stays here the rest of his coaching career. :) However, he's smart to "never say never" as he told Illinois he would be there for the long haul...not expecting the KU job to open up. And of course Roy made the same mistake/comment in 2000.

jgkojak 1 year, 2 months ago

Also I bet coach has talked to Larry Brown about the NBA - and Larry has said "stay at Kansas"

jgkojak 1 year, 2 months ago

1) Good to see us taking advantage of that annual trip to West Virginia.

2) Lifetime Contract for Coach Self. Yes to this. The recruits we go after are partially looking for that family atmosphere - where they know they can come back in 5, 10, 15 years and contribute.

3) Self is smart enough to realize he has a better job than almost any NBA Coach. Better? Only the 2-3 highest profile jobs (Knicks, Lakers, Bulls) or something with a family/regional interest like the Thunder or San Antonio. Who wants the abuse you get as coach of the Knicks, etc. that's not who Self is. I see the NBA as a bucket list kind of deal for him once he's won 2-3 titles at KS.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Unless EJ's knees are in free fall, file thoughts of Rio playing 10 mpg against anything but 0-4 and 0-5 teams this season (or in blowouts) in the fantasy folder on your desktop.

Its past mid January and Self is still talking openly about trust.

Ditto AW3.

Some potential recruits were perhaps at the WVU game and playing the frosh helped recruiting them?

The trust of a great coach does not come easy, unless he has no one else to trust.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

These reporters are idiots. Katz trying to start something with Self going somewhere else. I can't stand these guys who do this. It's almost as if he's saying "Why would you want to stay in Kansas when you could go anywhere, pro or college, that you want in this country.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

Random thoughts.

1] I'd place the "over" of Bill's tenure right at another ten years and the "under" at five years minimum. [He won't leave with Tyler on the team, that's for sure or Cindy would kill him!! ]

2] I honestly think Rio and AWIII will be in a dogfight with the class that's coming in for PT next season....but that will be a good thing.

3] I agree with my pal, Jaybate..if Bill gets that second ring, his legacy is totally secure as the only two time NC Coach in KU history not named Phog and he'll be off to Oklahoma City and the NBA.

4] Caught the UK/Mississippi game..wow, do these teams suck and would KU just destroy either of them!!

5] Just a note to Jesse, Matt, Tom, etc....maybe a brief weekly summary of how our five recruits are doing would be nice. I know we get random updates [concussions, all-star nominations, etc.] but scoring, rebounding, team status would be great...just saying!!

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

Basketball related but off topic. Interesting seeing Nerlens Noel get 12 blocks last night. Even more interesting is the two photos ESPN chose for its web sites of Noel blocking shots (Main College BBall and game recap), look like obvious fouls rather than blocks. I also noticed that there are about half a dozen articles about this game, which is 3 times more coverage than most of the important games get. East Cost bias at its best. In a related subject, I saw part of the Baylor women BBall game where Brittney Griner had a large number of blocks and, not watching women's BBall very often, I was surprised that most of the time she hardly even jumped in some she never got off the ground. I guess this is what happens when a 5'4" guard runs right into a 6'8" center. Not to take from her accomplishments but to compare her block stats to those by male players is a joke. Again, no offense to her or women's BBall, but the stats cannot compared.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Just a refresher question because I already forgot. Where did Milton Doyle end up deciding to go anyway?

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Has anyone seen the mock drafts right now? I was shocked at Withey's position and more so at who was ranked over him right now as a center. Withey should be the top rated center with his stats. I was surprised at who was ranked over him.

Noel enjoyed some Withey tapes. Calipari broke out KU games of Withey's blocks and told Noel to watch how it was done. It paid off because the kid had 10 blocks in their last game. Noel wasn't blocking much, but those Withey tapes must have paid dividends.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Self could lean on his wife, dad, Larry Brown, Eddie Sutton, and possibly Bobby Knight who thinks highly of Self. He might even shout out to Popovich too. That would be a dynamic group of "experts."

jhawkrulz 1 year, 2 months ago

A 6'3" combo guard that shoots lights out in high school is struggling to see 1-2 minutes a game at KU...yes we are spoiled, but if this guy sticks with it, he'll understand why he had the opportunity to go to Kansas and might actually have the ability to go pro (NBA or overseas).

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

I didn't realize Wigs was considering N Carolina. I wonder how much his bro attending WSU is weighing on his decision?

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Rio is getting it and is learning his role. He is so much like RussRob. His attitude will pay off in the near future if he keeps his mind in check. I am encouraged if Self "checked in" on Wiggins. If Self took the time to check in, it means KU has a big chance. I also think Randle is high on KU right now. We could land both and it will be interesting to see how Self works the paper.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Summary: Self will consider a job with certain pro franchises, but does not expect them to be offered to him in the near future.

Comment: He is happy at KU, but after he wins another ring, will look at pro offers both to wealth maximize and to stop having to suck up to 15-17 year olds year round.

Question: How much does he relish the prospect of having to suck up to a bunch of grown men with FU money and posses year round?

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 2 months ago

I hear u hem on the minutes for White and Adams, but i put the lack thereof on the seniors. WVU started out looking like the game where wed put all of this sloppy play behind us and the bench would take over at the under 8 TO in the second half. We all know that was not to be. That's the one thing I haven't heard EJ acknowledge about not finishing early against inferior teams. Not only is it costing our bench guys their opportunity here and now, but it is hurting next years team that's going to be so very young and inexperienced. It's easy to point the finger at the coach for not giving these guys more PT, but ultimately I see the responsibility lying with the starters and I'm not sure they're aware of it.

TXChalker 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't forget to vote for Naismith Student Section of the Year at I Love College Hoops. https://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops

rockchalker5 1 year, 2 months ago

Keep this attitude up Rio and you will have great success at KU

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Seeing Adams and White get minutes, it demonstrates exactly why Adams and White need to get game minutes.

First, game minutes knock off the rust. Game minues make a player more comfortable the next time. Look at White vs. WVU. How long since that guy really has shot an airball I wonder. Well, get pulled off the bench, hostile environment, ESPN, Big Monday .. nerves can impact just a bit there. Those were important minutes. He needs those minutes to be ready, if needed, down the road -- whether because foul trouble or injury. Same for Adams.

Second, the game minutes are important because bench players don't get significant minutes offensively in practice now because we are in the middle of the season, and practice time is precious -- there is a the need to get the regular rotation guys ready. Adams mentioned the following above, “I’m not going to lie. I wasn’t prepared for that at all,” Adams said of being point guard versus the Sooners. “Mainly in practice I play a lot of defense. When I was out there to get the opportunity I took full advantage of it, but just wasn’t ready."

This quote should be embedded in our minds. He knows he wasn't ready.

We don't want two guys that we may have to fall back on in March/April -- due to injury or foul trouble -- who aren't ready. I was glad to see Self get these guys road minutes. I really hope he makes a point of getting these guys in, letting them get a little comfortable -- so we have a couple of ready options available as we get deeper into the season.

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

Adams must improve his 3 point shooting and ball handling in the offseason. I seriously can't recall him making a shot beyond 15 feet this season, and many of his shots beyond 15 feet were badly missed. He has as much upside/talent as Tyshawn Taylor, but he has a long way to go before he's even close to his full potential.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

I am curioius as to what Self would consider the 'right situation" to go to home to Okie State. I can only see him at Kansas or San Antonio within the next ten years. Apparently, many of us have attachment issues with losing Coach Self! It's natural for coaches to come and go. That's what I have to always remind myself! I was sick in the head for about a week when Roy left.

Who here thinks that going from scoring 80 a game to 60 a game is part of a grand stretegy to prepare the guys how to win tourney games?

I feel like we have been watching the brand of basketball that we were all so scared of seeing when Self first arrived from the Big 10. I happen to think that it's odd that Bill coaching adjustments conincide with the arrival of Doc and Norm. I think Doc and his defensive schemes are having an affect on coach Self. Could just be me though.

How many McDonalds All-Americans will we have this time next year?

Random thoughts...

Would Kaleb Tarcewski (sp) be getting any minutes this year if he would have chosen Kansas?

What about if Shabazz would have elected to come here? What would the chemistry be like?

It's funny how things seem to always work out like they are supposed to.

Jayhawks Rock 1 year, 2 months ago

Go Rio! Next year you will play quite a bit, and the year after, a lot. You will be a star, but have to be willing to develop. Your defense is a lot better than Tharpe's was last year and you shoot well. Don't fall into Tharpe's trap of shooting too much (like he is this year).

wrwlumpy 1 year, 2 months ago

Grats to JoJo for the Jordan Brand Classic. ESPN will being broadcasting it. Does anyone know how Lucas is doing in practice?

DCSven 1 year, 2 months ago

Rio is toughing it out like other frosh before him and seeing his future get brighter as a result. Transfers to KU (Withey, Young) work out great. Transfers away from KU, not so much. Rio is a Jayhawk, and he'll be a leader soon.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 2 months ago

Wiggins and Randle...what are the kusports oddsmakers saying the chances are they choose us?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I knew Doc Sadler had to have a great sense of humor after being at Nebraska all those years.

Jason Keller 1 year, 2 months ago

I think Rio has it all. I can't believe he hasn't gotten more minutes. The reason he makes bone head plays is because he gets 1.5 minutes a game and tries to do a little something with them. In two years, he'll make Naadir look stupid and I like Naadir's game a lot but Rio just has the length and athleticism you can't coach. He's a lot like Tyshawn.

If you guys think that this next recruiting class is going to be ready to play right away, well I guess you haven't learned anything. Rarely are any kids ready to play right away. I think Wayne Selden will start but that is it. So, for ball handeling, you're looking at Naadir and Rio.

My starting 5 next year:

1. Rio/Tharpe
  2. Selden/White
  3. Perry/Greene (Yes, Perry is a 3)
  4. Randle/Traylor (Yes, Randle is coming to KU)
  5. Lucas-Wesley?/Embiid

Ben Kane 1 year, 2 months ago

I really hope Rio doesn't transfer. These kind of interview answers gives me hope he won't.

nb4ku 1 year, 2 months ago

I never get a sense of security with the answers HCBS provides in regards to his future with KU. I guess it's probably like the girlfriend(Roy) who tells you she will never love anyone else then leaves you for another man(North Carolina). You have a hard time trusting the next girl(HCBS), even after 10 years.

mojayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Lifetime contract for Coach Self.

ParisHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Welcome back, site.

Rio saying a lot of the right things, Coach telling it like it is. Concentration, work, enthusiasm and readiness make a good combination. Go Rio!

I'm going to hijack this article to continue all the post-WVU discussion about what's not right enough about the team. First, it may not transpire enough from the posts that we all love this team and the players and we only want the best for them. If any player is not doing as well as we would hope, we're disappointed for him more than with him. I so much wanted this to be "EJ's year".

Second, one of the rules of SelfSpeak seems to be, when they can improve then criticize, when they can't then support. Coach seems pretty supportive of EJ, guard play and the offense in general. Conclusion?