Originally published January 11, 2013 at 12:04a.m., updated January 11, 2013 at 07:49a.m.

Dayne Crist relishes all-star invite

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist throws the ball during pre-game warm ups prior to KU's last football game Saturday against West Virginia in Morgantown, W.Va.

Former Kansas University quarterback Dayne Crist, who came to KU with a world of hype and left with a whimper, will begin the first stage of his quest to become a professional football player at 7 tonight in the Casino Del Sol College All-Star Game in Tucson, Ariz.

Crist, one of eight departing Jayhawks selected to play in various postseason all-star showcases during the next few weeks, is ready to do whatever it takes to put himself in the most positive light for pro scouts.

“Gotta take a shot,” he said when discussing his future during the final weeks of KU’s 1-11 season. “Gotta take a shot. I’m not done working.”

In some ways, Crist could be just what NFL coaches and scouts are looking for during the couple of months leading up to this year’s draft. At 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, he has prototype size. He was tutored — twice — by KU coach Charlie Weis. He has a strong arm and can make all of the throws required by NFL quarterbacks. Plus, those who suited up alongside him say he’s a great teammate and, perhaps more importantly, no character risk.

That much we learned throughout the offseason, as Crist breathed life back into the foundering KU program. But then the games began, and questions about Crist the quarterback resurfaced. He looked slow, misfired on critical throws, could not avoid trouble or extend plays and ultimately was benched — again. Despite it all, the good and the bad, Crist walked away from his college career with his head held high.

“Experience adds to confidence,” Crist said. “And I think I’m more confident than I’ve ever been and am grateful and appreciative for everything that I went through.”

Crist, one of two QBs on the West roster for tonight’s game, is realistic about his chances. He knows that having a better senior season (he finished with 1,313 yards, 47 percent completion percentage, four touchdowns and nine interceptions) would have helped his cause tremendously.

“I think your legacy is kind of the perception that others have of you,” he said. “I would hope that everyone knows that I’m always myself regardless of who’s around or what’s going on. What I have done, in terms of networking, has put me in a position to feel pretty good about whatever’s next.”

While he remains a longshot to get drafted in late April, a good showing in the two all-star games he’s playing in could help Crist receive an invitation to an NFL camp.

“He’s the kind of guy that a game like this, it could really jump-start things for him,” Crist’s All-Star Game coach, Dick Tomey, told the Arizona Daily Star. “I remember when he was coming out of high school — what a prospect.”

Comments

Jerry Rockhold 1 year, 6 months ago

Shouldn't that read 4 touchdowns & 9 "interceptions" instead?

Jesse Newell 1 year, 6 months ago

Yep, thanks for the heads-up. Should be fixed.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes Crist ended up being a complete bust, but he worked his tail off for KU to try and lift the Jayhawks out of the gutter and at the end of the day, that's all you can ask a player to do. His short comings as a QB had nothing to do with the effort Crist put in on the practice field, weight room, film sessions, or on game days and I have the utmost respect for him in that regard. If NFL scouts and personnel are intrigued enough by Crist to invite him to 2do all-star games, then best of luck in those games Dayne and hopefully he represents himself and KU positively both on and off the field. I personally, like just about everybody else, don't see a playing future for Crist beyond these two games, but I do believe that with his understanding of the game, I believe Dayne has a very bright future in coaching and I hope Dayne believes this as well. Good luck wherever life takes you Dayne.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree w this post, Texashawk10.

VaJay 1 year, 6 months ago

Great post T-hawk. Fully agree that Crist gave it his best on and off the field. He did help us recruit & made sure the team didn't fall apart after two years of disastrous coaching by Gill. Good luck Dayne!

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

texashawk10 > ahpersecoachingexperience

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Normally I find your posts comical. You missed on this one. texashawk10 has it right.

Jayjocker 1 year, 6 months ago

Ahperse- Whiffed again. One guy didn't even make it to a practice, the other gave it his best shot for the Jayhawks. Me thinks you are off your game.

Stan Unruh 1 year, 6 months ago

Hope Dayne can have a great night

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish him nothing but the best of luck, and I hope he shocks the world. However, it will be an uphill battle. He's just too inaccurate. Maybe he'll get a shot based on up side though.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for your committment to KU football. Your character and effort are greatly appreciated.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

Is this game going to be on tv or streaming online?

Saguaro_Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

espn3. com will have it live online, then archived in "Replay" area

JHawk74 1 year, 6 months ago

Matt Cassel made the NFL and did not have great college numbers. Not that Matt Cassel is a great quarterback in the NFL but he did make it and getting paid lots of money. Dayne Crist has a chance to go try out for the NFL. Good Luck Dayne! Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!

1 year, 6 months ago

Good point. You could also make a case for Josh Freeman. He didn't have a spectacular college career at KSU, however he is enjoying some success in the NFL.

You gotta love Crist's attitude. Best of luck to him.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if the additional time since his last injury will help with his confidence down the road. Two season-ending injuries in back-to-back seasons is rough. I know lots of guys have amazing stories of coming back from ACL's. Charles and Peterson this last year, but those are amazing comebacks and it was only one injury.

I think it's quite possible he's still struggling with those injuries a little, emotionally, physically, or both. I hope that's the case because it would be great to see him in the NFL.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

The issues at KU were greater than just Dayne Crist. Crist did show leadership and that was a start. I think some of the issues were not just him, but also some of the receiving core.

Overall, I would like to see him get an invite to a team, the NFL currently has a lot of holes in the QB arena.

I think all of Jayhawk Nation appreciates the work you did at KU, bringing additional recruits, talking highly of your KU experience, even making the team work hard. We might be disappointed it didn't translate to wins on the field, but we know you helped move the program forward.

Thanks and Good Luck Dayne, we all want you to succeed.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

The third string QB on the practice squad watching the game from the press box probably makes more money than most of us posters, so why not go for it, Dayne.

The fact that he has been asked to play in an All-Star Game is a sign of hope.

My Jayhawk Heart wishes Dayne every bit of good luck and hopes for making the NFL. My Football Head sadly feels a simian will aviate from a swine's rectum first before this actually occurs.

However, I think texashawk 10 makes a great point....with his experience, years of playing, the adversity and challenges he has faced with dignity and a willingness to "man up", I think he could turn out to be one hell of a quarterback coach.

And one thing no one can question, despite his football shortcomings,he was pure class on and off the field.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 6 months ago

Dayne Crist has been a truly class act throughout his time at Kansas despite the football performance not being what he'd hoped. I'm proud he is a Jayhawk and wish him the best in his future.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Here's a link to the roster and and some information about the game Crist is playing in.

This is the second year of the game and last year only 6 players in the game were drafted and the highest on was a late 3rd rounder so this isn't a game with a great roster which explains why Crist got an invite. There are 5 QB's playing in the game, Jeff Tuel from Washington St. is the other QB on the west roster and none of the east QB's are from FBS schools.

vd 1 year, 6 months ago

If he goes 9-10, 200 yds., with 3 tds.; do we still believe Weis is an offensive genius?

BPSkelly 1 year, 6 months ago

Look, Crist deserves some of the criticism. But so does KU and the press surrounding the Jayhawks program. He didnt come in and sell himself as a Heisman candidate. The press around the team were so jacked up (and in turn, getting the fan base jacked up) it was made to appear that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I dont blame him for that at all. He took a leadership role for a team that had none. Do I think Charlie overestimated him? Yea, I do. But thats not Crist's fault.

My guess is he'll have a nice career... as something other than a clipboard toting 3rd string QB. Let him have a few moments in the sun while he's still got a shot. Best of luck to him.

hawkdds 1 year, 6 months ago

Fifth year player who couldn't hit a wide open Kale Pick, he may be a great human being but a lousy over-hyped QB.

johnnyphoton 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm very glad to hear Dayne is part of this kind of squad. I don't know how rosters are assembled but have to assume those choosing players think a player has +potential. Since KU fans didn't have a chance to see him play very much, I'm hoping he shows that potential. Last I checked he will be "representing" KU football. With a good game he might get a high school QB to consider our program.