Thursday, February 28, 2013

KU to wear alternate adidas camo uniforms in Big 12 tournament

photo

Promotional photo from @adidashoops Twitter account

The adidas custom impact camo uniforms that the Kansas men's basketball team could wear at least one game during the Big 12 tournament in March.

photo

Courtesy JocksNitchKU Twitter account

Kansas University adidas camo alternate jersey uniform tops from the front.

photo

Courtesy JocksNitchKU Twitter account

Kansas University adidas camo alternate jersey uniform tops.

photo

Courtesy JocksNitchKU Twitter account

Kansas University adidas alternate uniform camo white shorts.

Reader poll

What do you think of the adidas camo alternate uniforms?

• Like 'em 8% 320 votes
  • Don't like 'em 75% 2688 votes
  • Indifferent — it's just a game or two 14% 522 votes
  • Undecided 0% 34 votes

3564 total votes.

The Kansas men's basketball team will be wearing alternate camo uniforms from adidas for at least one game in this year's Big 12 tournament, KU coach Bill Self confirmed during a weekly press conference Thursday.

Photos of the uniforms, which include a blue-and-white camouflage pattern on the shorts, were released on adidashoops' Twitter account Thursday.

"We agreed with adidas several months ago to sport that uniform as part of their marketing campaign in the Big 12 tournament," Self said. "Now, how much we wear them in the Big 12 tournament will probably depend on how we play in them or whatever. But we will sport them in the Big 12 tournament at some point in time."

"Sometimes, you've got to be a team player, and adidas has certainly been good to us, there's no question," Self said. "And this is something that was important to them, that they are able to market it with some other schools that they feel that can help them in this area. Certainly, we're going to do that to try to help them, but it's not going to go any further past the Big 12 tournament."

Self was non-committal on whether KU would wear the uniforms for more than one game in the Big 12 tourney.

Of wearing the alternate jerseys for a game or two, he said, "I don't think it's that big of a deal in the Big 12 tournament."

"As everyone here knows, Kansas tradition and history should be what is promoted in our look, and we've done that for years," Self said. "But this is the one game or whatever that we will make that exception for adidas."

When asked what he thought of the uniforms, Self said he hadn't seen them in a while, but that he didn't think as much of them as the typical home white jerseys that the Jayhawks would wear as a higher-ranked team in the Big 12 tournament.

KU's players had mixed reaction to the alternate uniforms.

"I don't think too much of ‘em. They are jerseys at the end of the day. You can't go out there with no clothes on," KU senior guard Elijah Johnson said with a smile. "That’s all that really is. When Coach says, 'Put 'em on and go play,' we’ll put em on and go play, whether it’s a practice jersey, a new jersey or old jersey. It’s about the game and not how we look out there."

Added KU senior Travis Releford: "I've seen a few pictures of them. I think they're all right."

A petition started by KU fans on the White House's website to not allow the uniforms was removed Thursday afternoon for violating "Terms of Participation."

Comments

BabsJG 1 year, 1 month ago

The uniforms look ridiculous! YIKES!

brooksmd 1 year, 1 month ago

Come on coach, give them to the custodian staff for dusting rags. We have nice uni's now and don't need this stupid crap.

faceit 1 year, 1 month ago

When I marry my sister, we're going to wear these on our honeymoon.

Jerry Long 1 year, 1 month ago

Call Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey - We found their clown suits, come and get them.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 1 month ago

The track shorts were hot pink, more like neon pink brought in when a ku runner clearly won a race and a timer gave the race to the wrong athlete. They were a great tradition that matched a period of ku dominating big 8 track and were contenders for national championships. We were down for quite a while but the last year or two coming in strong especially our girls.

We've got an All American triple jumper that is a beauty. If she was playing tennis, golf, or she would be a household name like Lindsey Vaughn the skier. I will try to find a link and maybe we can get some exposure to another deserving KU program.

notjustbread 1 year, 1 month ago

Duck Dynasty...heavy on the nasty.

Lash 1 year, 1 month ago

We our need to make sure our uniforms are designed by KU or change companies...

flloyd 1 year, 1 month ago

I think we ought to wear as much "true" camo as possible so we can get away with more missed calls by the refs like at Iowa State!

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 1 month ago

If they're going to be camo unis make them actual camo and honor the military by doing it. These are terrible looking unis Adidas.

Steve Kubler 1 year, 1 month ago

Better than those blackout or whatever they called them uni's but not by much. At least you can read the players number and name. Not something I'd want to be seen in public wearing, particularly the blue!

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 1 month ago

"KU officials said that no money was involved in the Jayhawks' decision to wear the uniforms."

Uhh no, someone lost a bet somewhere.

modernlover 1 year, 1 month ago

Please phone the KU Basketball Offices at 785-864-3056 to register your disgust. Call often.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 1 month ago

I was hoping the camo uniforms would be hidden...so you couldn't see them. I was significantly disappointed when I could not only see them, but they are colors that aren't even associated with KU. Definitely have to win out, so we can be the top seed.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 1 month ago

They could go like the old track uni's. I remember the shorts were pink. Picture doesn't do it justice!

greatgatsby 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes the jerseys look awful but you have to remember that Adidas has only two choices in the Big 12. Kansas University and Baylor. As the company would you rather see your name crappy blue and white "camo" on a good team or crappy dark green and neon yellow "camo" on a decent team? If Adidas, for one knew how to make good looking camo and for two had Tech, K-State or OSU I could understand it because of the rural school feel and the connection with the military but they don't have that option. It's all about business.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Bad idea! We're not the Harlem Globe-trotters. If you want to look like a clown, join the circus. I predict it's going to have a negative on the players and the game. This decision will come back to haunt whoever the idiot was that came up with this stupid idea. The Jayhawks are going to be the laughing stock of college basketball. I live in Ohio and I can hear some to the remarks right now.

HawkInMac 1 year, 1 month ago

JUST SAY NO ! Fans endure corporatification of our University's athletic department too much already. Why throw it in our faces again and again by knuckling under to another mega-corporation's marketing, profit program?

This is just another "one small step" into the abyss of corporate greed.

Phoggie_Thinking 1 year, 1 month ago

These remind me of those truck stop stands in some state west of Colorado. You check to see if there is any Kansas gear and you find some strange thing that just makes you giggle, but then it's clearance so you think, ummmm maybe.

lincase 1 year, 1 month ago

I'll say this for the "alternative" uniforms: they are good for a laugh. I have enjoyed reading the posts about this and also the comments after the WV game. KU fans are very witty people. Thanks for starting my morning off with a smile.

mattiesdad 1 year, 1 month ago

No, no, a thousand times no.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 1 month ago

Who did we play in football in black jerseys? I'm trying to find a pic but my initial google search yielded nothing.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Players and great coaching win games, not unifoms. Now go out and kick a$$ for the next 3 games, put the regular season trophy in the case, then kick a$$ in KC and wear the alternates for the 3 games and add another tournament trophy to the case, then kick a$$ in KC again, Dallas, and Atlanta and add another NC trophy to the collection and banner on the north side of the Fieldhouse. My point being, go out and KICK A$$ regardless of the uniforms and hang that 6th banner in the north rafters of AFH.

Kyle Neuer 1 year, 1 month ago

Does Adidas not do focus groups before they invest large bucks and roll trash like this out? What deaf, dumb and blind kid thought these looked good?

cklarock 1 year, 1 month ago

Holy what, Adidas? These are AWFUL. I'm throwing out my Adidas shoes.

Poor Jayhawks. Having to say something even remotely polite about these abominations. "Well, at least we're not going to play naked."

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 1 month ago

107 comments and not ONE of the positive... Great marketing Adidas! And someone let them know that it the other kansas school that is prone to camo, not us.

JayhawkPurist 1 year, 1 month ago

For those of you who don't like the camo unis, you'll have no one to blame but yourselves if you don't speak up and make your opinion known and the squad actually wears these monstrosities.

Email Athletic Drector Zenger and voice your opposition (the KU athletics website says his contact is vlane@ku.edu -- Vaunda Lane, his executive assistant). If Mr. Zenger receives several thousand emails, the uniforms will never be worn.

I sent my email. Who's with me?

Born_And_Raised_A_KU_Fan 1 year, 1 month ago

As ugly as these "camo" unis are, they are lovely compared to the black jerseys with gray numerals being worn by Mizzoodle in their game at South Carolina.

Deb Engstrom 1 year, 1 month ago

Who cares! Just play ball and win!!

bwag 1 year, 1 month ago

Just say no...trailer trash wear, not acceptable.

Michael Gentemann 1 year, 1 month ago

These were obviously stitched together in an Asian sweatshop where prepositions are not part of the language.

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 1 month ago

If we have to wear it, wear it against Emporia St. You don't change around things in the post season!

Doug Roberts 1 year, 1 month ago

I like the "Beware the Phog" on the ROAD jerseys. Nice touch by adidas that says "Oblivious".

RL 1 year, 1 month ago

Chalk up another reason we should switch back to Nike

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 1 month ago

"Beware the Phog"???? Come on Adidas! Whatever they are paying, it's not worth it. Go back to Nike. This is a joke. So many amazing possibilities of alternate uniforms and they go with a cheesy Zubaz Camo theme!

DanR 1 year, 1 month ago

Blue ones look like trailer park "hold my beer and watch this" gear. The white ones look like Tiger stripes. Barf. Who approved that?

Does the Phog need to be pay heeded and bewared at the Sprint Center anyway.

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 1 month ago

So bad.

May as well get sponsored by Zubaz.

May as well get sponsored by Zubaz. by Priest Fontaine

Jay Dogger 1 year, 1 month ago

The uniform says, "Beware the Phog" but it's "Beware of the Phog." At least they spelled phog correctly.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 1 month ago

Just saying... it could have been worse.

Just saying... it could have been worse. by Benjamin Piehler

JayhawkPurist 1 year, 1 month ago

There's no way to sugarcoat it: the camo uniforms are an insult to the heritage of the KU program. I for one don't even like the Trajan font which was unveiled in 2007, but at least they're an attempt at being current while still respecting the past.

I propose all concerned fans write an email to the athletic director opposing the uniforms (the KU athletics website says his contact is vlane@ku.edu -- Vaunda Lane, his executive assistant). We were successful at keeping the previous athletic director and his staff from playing techo music during halftimes, etc. by staging such a campaign, which I and many others perceived as a classless assault on the uniqueness and sanctity of home games at Allen Fieldhouse. I honestly think that if Mr. Zenger receives several thousand emails the uniforms will never be worn.

I sent my email. Who's with me?

Dan Harris 1 year, 1 month ago

UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!UGLY!!

tvnolan 1 year, 1 month ago

Who comes up with these foolish schemes??? I promise you that no one will rush out to buy their commemorative unis. Blech!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 1 month ago

Too soon to bring back the "tone out" unis from the UWV game???

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 1 month ago

The team should just flat-out refuse to play in them!!!

Casey Gee 1 year, 1 month ago

If we do this we are crossing that invisible line that separates KU from kstate.

Max Ledom 1 year, 1 month ago

Jerseys: Now the reason teams win or lose games according to the fans on this board.

Max Walker 1 year, 1 month ago

My feelings on those jerseys in the words of Sir Charles

Chuck Stones 1 year, 1 month ago

This is the best reason to win out this season, so we will only have to wear the white ones as the 1 seed. The white ones aren't as bad as the blue ones.

George Powell 1 year, 1 month ago

They just look like pajamas, why have a contract with a company that wants you to wear crap like this. At least put a JayHawk on the front of the leggings.

kay_you 1 year, 1 month ago

Those are tough on the eyes. Looks like something Oregon would wear.

STLJayhawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

new bill self motivational speech

"Guys, win out these games so we dont have to wear those terrible blue shorts."

kucapcity91 1 year, 1 month ago

i like the white ones but the blue on the other hand is just too light..

Sam Constance 1 year, 1 month ago

Good lord people. Get a grip.

I agree that these uniforms are an eyesore, but of all the things to be up in arms over... who cares? We won't be the first or last "blue blood" program to wear alternate uniforms that may have been designed by a blind person (no offense intended to blind people).

Actually, I don't mind the white version quite as much as the blue one, but either way it's not something I have the patience to waste my effort on. Especially after all the patience-testing garbage about the Iowa State game.

The one thing about this article that did amuse me is this idea that real decisions about uniforms are going to be made on how we perform in said uniforms. I get that, as fans (and even athletes), there is a certain element of superstition at play. Heck, after we lost to Oklahoma, I posted something online to the effect of "Well, I've worn all three of the KU BBall shirts that I own (that still fit) over the past three games. Now what?"

But the idea of using that kind of superstition to make actual decisions is hilarious to me. Only in sports.

not_that_crazy 1 year, 1 month ago

I like the Notre Dame camo uniform better than I like Notre Dame.

Born_And_Raised_A_KU_Fan 1 year, 1 month ago

Are there any other apparel companies that don't produce stupid crap like this? Maybe we should look at a deal with Reebok or Champion or Under Armor? The best I can say about this is that it doesn't sound like we'll be wearing them for the NCAA Tournament.

MinorThreat 1 year, 1 month ago

Kansas has been all class ever since... just a uniform? Yes. But we can't allow little kinks in the armor like this... horrible jerseys IMO.

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 1 month ago

When looking at these uniforms, I don't even get to the question of "What about tradition?" I'm still at "WTF are those camo pants?"

Phil Leister 1 year, 1 month ago

Here's a petition, done on the appropriate platform so it shouldn't get removed. We can't let these things see the court.

Jim Pendleton 1 year, 1 month ago

This comment alone should tell you we shouldn't be doing this. If you want to put this stuff in the Bookstore or Kansas Sampler and sell it, go right ahead. People will wear anything just to have it. It is also one thing to change the font on the jersey, but to come up with this junk to wear in a game? No thank you!

I said this on a facebook post when I saw the pic of the six schools wearing them. It is one thing if you are a school with no tradition and you are trying to draw attention to your program any way you can. We are Kansas for crying out loud, we don't need to resort to wack job uniforms to show we are a great program. Rock Chalk, call me a traditionalist!

Ethan Berger 1 year, 1 month ago

I actually like the whites ones, the blue ones might be the worst uniforms sported by a KU team...ever.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 1 month ago

Speaking of KU players wearing different jerseys, check out the mock draft lottery tool from ESPN's website. This is a screenshot of a possible scenario where BMac is taking first by the Suns. ESPN seems to think that the Suns really want BMAC and will take him if they can get an early enough pick. Phoenix would definitely be my favorite team if they had three Jayhawks on the team!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm glad that we'll be wearing the whites not the blues.

FL_Jhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

More selling out of college sports to corporate America. This is twice now we have had to wear crazy uniforms that debase the heritage of KU basketball. How many times will it be next year in order to keep the corporate donations coming? When we will be "asked" to wear company logos on our uniforms, in order to keep the donations coming? I can see it now, the "Drink Coca-Cola" logo on the backs of future uniforms. Where will this end???

Nip it in the bud now.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 1 month ago

"No Fear" marketing strategist take over adidas?

jahawkdave 1 year, 1 month ago

These look like some WT crap Mizzou would wear, I'll be listening to the game on the radio when these are worn.

at least we will be wearing white / the lesser hideous version.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I just had an ephipany !

Adidas must be owned by an Iowa State alum. These uniforms are payback for the last two losses.

jahawkdave 1 year, 1 month ago

The Adidas person that designed these and the ones that approved the design should be fired immediately. If they are hoping to sell these I will be shocked if anyone buys them, they'll be on clearance racks in 2 weeks and given to 3rd world countries along with the Championship game loser's shirts/hats by April. There are so many other classic options they could have come up with other than played out camo/neon colors.

At least we don't have sleeves like UCLA and Lou or the hideous ND version... http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0228/ncb_e_uniforms11_600.jpg

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 1 month ago

This is something our football team should do to attract recruits. Not the basketball team. This is embarrasing. We are now on the same level as Baylor.

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year, 1 month ago

What a rinky-dink uniform. I can't believe one person is "undecided".

parrothead8 1 year, 1 month ago

Will fans be required to join the ridiculousness?

Scut Farkus 1 year, 1 month ago

I have some pajama bottoms with the same pattern. If nothing else it should loosen the guys up as they laugh at how ridiculous they look.

Adam Gerval 1 year, 1 month ago

I feel like crying. I've always thought that what made KU's uniforms so cool was that they're traditional. These are pathetic.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

If we lost in these abominations, Bill would burn them all the next morning, thus vaulting these things to the top of the list of those things which could ALMOST justify losing a ball game!!!

The solution is play a rotten game in them, still win, then dump them forever!!

sarcastichawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't see what the big deal is. These are nice uniforms.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 1 month ago

Love the Beware the Phog logo. Absolutely hate the uniform.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 1 month ago

But as much as I hate them, who remembers these?

KU_alum_2001 1 year, 1 month ago

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 1 month ago

Personally, I don't like them. In fact, I think they look ridonkulous! But if the players like them, I'm all for it. I'm not 18 any more, but if the kids (and the recruits) like them, I say go for it!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

Lord.......these things make the black and white football jersey/helmet combo look almost divine!!!

Honestly, if the pants had been two shades of blue instead of white and blue, the new uni's would have been upgraded to at least not totally humiliating!!

Maybe what we can do is wear them during warm-ups, let everybody see them then put on regular uni's when it counts.

jay381 1 year, 1 month ago

I understand it is all about revenue. Undoubtedly Adidas offered the best revenue overall to the university at the time of the last contract. I also understand there are considerations to branding that go further than just basketball. It has become a huge business. I would only suggest that when this contract expires an attempt is made to explore a competitor like Nike or Under Armor to obtain a contract that is lucrative but does not require the team look like something that is totally ridiculous.

The KU brand is well respected and what any marketing department is looking for. Perhaps a competitor in the sports apparel business will not be so eager to make a product that makes the team look absolutely ridiculous.

However we do have to trust the current administration to do what is in the best interest of all the university programs. I was told that in a time of need one of the sports apparel providers (I do not know which brand but the information came from a source I trust) was of a lot of assistance to the marching band. There are a lot of considerations the AD has to weigh beyond the ugly uniforms I see in this photo. I would add I hate them as much as anyone.

stinkybulldog 1 year, 1 month ago

they should wear water moccasins too!

drewfuss 1 year, 1 month ago

They make the previous adidas marketing gimmick jerseys suddenly seem pretty wonderful.

midwest_muser 1 year, 1 month ago

If I see the boys in these: 1) My Taylor Made Driver becomes a PING 2) My Adidas golf shoes become Footjoy 3) All my adidas golf apparel is at a thrift shop 4) My adidas running shoes become Asics 5) My CCM Skates become Easton (toughest one) Ugliest uniforms in sports history.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 1 month ago

"Camo" uniforms? For what, the local water park?!?

dustfan 1 year, 1 month ago

I think they should wear the '88 throwbacks the rest of the year.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 1 month ago

Sports marketing has just hit a new all time low. And that's saying something!

1 year, 1 month ago

The white jerseys are pretty cool I think, and if we win out that's all we will wear as the #1 seed.

ldjayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

The short looks like a beach short. Very wired in my opinion. Top looks all right but nothing new. Like the logo of "beware of the phog" a lot though.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 1 month ago

This is what I would expect some tier 3 program to wear, not the school where James Fricking Naismith himself coached.