Kansas defeats Iowa State, 108-96

• 8 p.m., Feb. 25, 2013
  • Hilton Coliseum, Ames, IA

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Perfect storm: Elijah Johnson buries ISU with 39 points

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson puts up a deep three with 56 seconds remaining in overtime against Iowa State on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over ISU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford

Kansas guards Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford talk after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-ISU

— It’s safe to say Elijah Johnson’s senior slump is over.

Johnson, Kansas University’s fourth-year point guard who has been starting floor general of a wildly successful 24-4 team despite some ugly personal shooting statistics, exploded for 39 points — that’s right, 39 — in the Jayhawks’ thrilling 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Monday in Hilton Coliseum.

He hit 13 of 22 shots, including six of 10 threes and seven of seven free throws — totaling 30 points the second half and overtime.

“Wilt had some good games,” KU coach Bill Self — eyes twinkling after the 500th coaching victory of his career — said of Wilt Chamberlain, “but this will go down as one of the best games any guard has played at Kansas. I’ve never had a guy make every play in a game like that down the stretch. He was huge. He was the best player in the country. I’ve never had a guy get 30 in a half.”

Johnson had the most points of any KU player in a Big 12 Conference game in history. His 39 points were most by any KU player overall since Terry Brown had 42 against North Carolina State on Jan. 5, 1991.

“I blacked out,” Johnson said with a grin, asked if he was “in a zone.”

“Coach and I had a personal conversation early in the game (that helped him), which happens.”

Self admitted he picked up an early technical foul to try to fire up his troops on a day Iowa State knocked down 17 of 41 threes (most attempts against KU in history, one shy of the most threes made against KU). He was hot and bothered by Johnson’s play in the opening minutes.

Self let him have it during a timeout.

“He had a couple bonehead plays early,” Self said. “He said, ‘Coach, next play. Forget about it and move to the next play (as Self tells players to do).’

“I said, ‘I’ll forget about it when I’m through talking about that play,’” Self added, smiling. “It was a way of telling him that couldn’t go on.”

Ragged play didn’t continue.

Johnson, in one of the most amazing clutch performances in KU history, actually scored 25 of KU’s last 36 points — all those points coming after ISU grabbed a 79-72 lead with 5:17 left.

He hit two free throws — the second following a timeout designed to ice him — with 4.9 seconds left. Those free throws tied the game at 90 and forced overtime after a last-second 40-footer by Korie Lucious missed.

“I didn’t pay it any mind,” Johnson said of ISU coach Fred Hoiberg calling time to shake him.

Johnson also tossed in a deep three as the shot clock expired with :59 left, increasing a 100-96 lead to 103-96.

“I begged for the ball,” Johnson said.

Perhaps Johnson’s only blunder of the night was dunking in the final seconds instead of letting the clock run out. ISU fans threw objects at the Jayhawks as they exited the court.

“It was wrong,” Self said, “(but) Elijah apologized. I said something to Fred and the media. I wasn’t very happy about it, but nobody can say that last play took away from the game and our seniors.”

Senior Travis Releford exploded for 19 points. Jeff Withey had 13 points and 10 boards. And Kevin Young who had 13 points, nine boards.

Johnson was contrite about the last-ditch dunk to get to 39 points.

“I want to apologize to the coach of Iowa State for the last play. I shouldn’t have dunked,” Johnson said. “I should have dribbled it out. I got caught up in the moment. Other than that, it felt good. I have not shot the ball as well as I’ve liked.”

Johnson, who entered as a 37.9 percent shooter (31.9 from three), hit 10 of 14 shots after halftime, including five of six from three.

“It was a great performance. It was a great game,” Self said, assuring it’d be a happy “12-hour” bus ride back home after the victory kept KU tied with Kansas State in the league race at 12-3. Iowa State fell to 19-9, 9-6.

KU will meet West Virginia at 1 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

justinryman 4 years, 5 months ago

OK gotta ask it here too as I have a couple of other times with this pic.

Why are there no lights on the clock. Neither the scoreboard behind EJ is lit up nor is the shot clock on top of the basket. And yet the Ribbon is lit up.

Maybe EJ just shot the lights out?

Phoggie_Thinking 4 years, 5 months ago

You are seeing the padding around the backboard. None of the lights are on. It is that moment just before everything goes zero.

justinryman 4 years, 5 months ago

NO the picture when expanded, the one that is in Nick Krugs file photos of the game has more of the crowd, higher up you can say. There is what I believe is called a ribbon that runs around the balcony, it has the score on it, ads, its basically a light board.

dylans 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure about the scoreboard to the side - maybe malfunctioning. Without a game clock it is hard to know about the shot clock, but the shot clock does get shut off with under 35 second at the end of each half and OT.

JHawkIDoc 4 years, 5 months ago

My best guess is that the lights of the scoreboard and shot clock were overexposed in the pic and were photoshopped out. That's too bad because time and score are a huge part of telling the significance of that shot. Ala Mario's Miracle. My favorite explanation is that "EJ shot the lights out". Watching that game was not for the faint of heart. RCJH

Nick Krug 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey Justinryman,

I'm no electrical engineer but I think it has something to do with the electrical current to the shotclock and scoreboard causes it to "pulse" a bit. It's too fast for our eyes to see as it's happening but when shooting with a shutterspeed of 1/1000th of a second, the really fast frame rate can pick up gaps in illumination.

justinryman 4 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Nick, that makes sense to me.

Awesome pics man. Keep up the great work, we all appreciate that!

rockchalk2012 4 years, 5 months ago

That is correct. AC - alternating current

tdscpa 4 years, 5 months ago

No. It is just a defective "Coliseum". To get all the Lights, Bells, and Whistles, you have to go to Allen Field House.

JJHawq 4 years, 5 months ago

That EJ performance reminded me of Aaron miles and Hinrich against mizzou... Insane. If ever there was a Jayhawk that needed and deserved a game like that, it's EJ.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

I was there in Columbia for that game. Miles did have a back-breaking, shot clock-beating 3-point heave similar to Elijah's tonight.

KJD 4 years, 5 months ago

Full-heartedly agreed about needing and deserving this game. Way to go EJ.

Releford was nails tonight too. Senior guard excellence. Bravo. Incredible night!

kcmojayhawker 4 years, 5 months ago

No doubt EJ needed this game, he ended a frustrating slump and for that reason the dunk was okay. Remember Smart's backflip? Sure you do, didn't like it cause KU lost. Ending frustration sometimes is distasteful.

championhawks 4 years, 5 months ago

Dunk was still not okay. And if comparing it to Smart's flip, then KU shouldn't be doing things like that if they are going to make mention of when it happens to them. Win with class and act like you have been there before.

Micky Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

EJ's dunk was perfectly acceptable. Even though he apologized for it, he didn't need to. There was time on the clock.

Micky Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

The dunk was okay. The way some of the KU fans got on EJ when he wasn't playing well, then on a night he scored 39, they still do it? This is not ethical by the fans.

Joe Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought the dunk was a perfect end to a great game. When he got the break, I stood up and said, "Dunk the ball and bring it home."

Whatever you call it, EJ was in attack mode. He meant no disrespect to anyone. He's a fighter and a winner. It's called being competitive. Sure he could've dribbled down and held the ball under the rim and ISU gave up too, they didn't play all the way through the game.

dylans 4 years, 5 months ago

Ellijah was just getting the 2 back that were goal tended away earlier.

Joe Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

+1 And you and the entire ISU fan base knows they were expecting to storm the court.

Milhawkee 4 years, 5 months ago

@justinryman Good eye! I think it's because those lights actually flicker (you can see it in slow motion replays) and the camera was set to take pictures faster that the scoreboard but it could definitely be because (as you said) he shot the lights out. Normally I think this photo would not be used because of this. Too bad it wasn't mentioned in the caption.

madamhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

EJ put his shoes on.

He needed this...the team needed to see this.

Drive home safely hawks!

Damn snow.

dylans 4 years, 5 months ago

Did you see Elijah pointing to his shoes during the game? They were on...

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 4 years, 5 months ago

My comment after the OSU game is below. It was easy to see that EJ was striding. I kept telling my friend in the ISU game that it was EJ who had to win it. Then his buttery performance was even more impressive than any Jayhawk fan could have hoped for!!!

February 22, 2013 at 9:35 p.m. -

EJ played great. We certainly missed him. He's obviously stepped into the role of the main vocal leader, a calming but enforcing influence. He has stepped into this role in his slump and I think now he's striding out of his slump. If he can lead and step up his play, which is doing now, then we can be a scary scary team. It's not all on EJ, we can win a lot of ways, but when EJ is in the flow he can untie shoelaces and that makes us mean dangerous.

It's all in the shake for EJ. He busted it out against Rodriguez for K-state and the move at OSU is just a taste. Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah!!!

February 22, 2013 at 9:35 p.m.

johninkc1 4 years, 5 months ago

Enough of sportsmanship. A dunk is not bad sportsmanship. Not like a backflip.

actorman 4 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't disagree with you more, johninkc. The backflip was a spontaneous reaction to having just beaten KU at AFH. It's understandable that anyone would be tremendously excited by such a huge victory, and I don't have a problem with that kind of a reaction.

On the other hand, KU has won many, many games and always dribbles out the clock at the end. As big as this win was, EJ should have known better. And I'm glad he apologized for it.

Micky Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

There was nothing inappropriate about the dunk. KU has won many many games. This year, a lot of KUs fans forgot that and railed hard because they lost, "3 in a row". Some even said, "this team is over". I do believe you were one of those railing against them then, and that was in appropriate of the fans.

RJ King 4 years, 5 months ago

Both were emotional. Marcus' backflip was spontaneous joy at having won in arguably the toughest venue to collect a victory. EJ's was a both a release of frustration and a celebration of victory - having both redeemed himself and proven that his skills could carry his team to victory.

I don't have a problem with either one. Given the controversy of the blocking call - and the class of Hoiberg, EJ should've just dribbled out. But, both players spoke out to say that they just got caught up in the moment.

These "rewind" moments are what gives the college game it's spark. Sure, it sucks to watch the other team celebrate their moment (backflip), but honestly we Jayhawk fans have been blessed with a fireworks spectacular of "moments" in recent memory. These things are gonna happen. Enjoy them as some of the best visuals in college sports.

Navyjayhawker 4 years, 5 months ago

Please remove the term arguably from that second sentence.

texashawk10 4 years, 5 months ago

Gallagher-Iba has been just as tough if not tougher for KU to win at throughout the years so the arguably is appropriate when referring to Hilton being the toughest venue.

championhawks 4 years, 5 months ago

A dunk during the course of the game or with more time is not bad sportsmanship. A dunk with 4 seconds left and the outcome decided when you can just dribble out the time is bad sportsmanship.

MimiHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

No one accused Michael Jordan of poor sportsmanship when he dunked in the final seconds of North Carolina's win over Maryland 74 -62 in 1984. In fact, the broadcaster said regarding MJ's dunk, "With 2 seconds left, I'm going to give them something to rave about."

MimiHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

No one complained about Michael Jordan having poor sportsmanship when he dunked at the end of North Carolina's 74-62 win over Maryland in 1984.

tdscpa 4 years, 5 months ago

Funny, IU's Oladipo did almost the same thing at about the same time (I've seen the youtube video), and I've never seen an online complaint about that. Guess the "Hosers" can't be criticized.

stm62 4 years, 5 months ago

I would have loved to hear what Hoiberg said to Self after the game. Hoiberg is a class guy, but after the defeat in Lawrence, the charging no call, and Elijahs game ending dunk, it would be very difficult to hold your tongue.

KJD 4 years, 5 months ago

If anyone wants to talk about the 'no call' on that play lets be sure to add the no call on Korie Lucious. Lucious goes for ball, doesn't get any ball and gets EJ's arm well before the play with Niang.

When you look at it in real time Niang has happy feet right up to the point, he sets, then his upper body starts flopping on low body contact. His feet might become set but it is a bang-bang play at a big moment that does not need to be called, which typically isn't called.

I'm good with both no-calls. KU still gets the board and Tharpe is open for 3 with guys ready to tip the ball in the hoop.

It's all about KU roaring back and getting a big time win on the road. Rock Chalk!!!

Lucious No Call

Lucious No Call by KJD

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 5 months ago

That was my "beef" with Iowa State fans being all "up in arms" about it. Niang's FALLING before Elijah makes ANY contact!!!

I don't know why the refs in this game up until that point were acting like Niang was the All-American candidate & Withey was some scrub with the way they were calling things. Love the charge on Withey when it's painfully OBVIOUS that Niang was still sliding.

It seems like every game I watch I end up not liking a player from the other team....often because of benefitting from the refs. If there was one player ALL NIGHT who seemingly kept benefitting from the refs it was Niang!!!! Funny, that the "controversial play" was one where he FINALLY didn't. I think they DID see it as a flop and had a hard time calling that with about 6 seconds left at that time.

William Foreman 4 years, 5 months ago

This is an excellent point. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Joe Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

Niang did this all night and flopped on every defensive play.

JD Roth 4 years, 5 months ago

The goaltending call went unnoticed also. Iowa State pulled on the net, yet the Magnificent Fraschilla never noticed. That should have deserved some discussion if KU had lost at the gun. I'm baffled at why that wasn't detected and like discussed previously Withey received a charging call that was an obvious block.

KJD 4 years, 5 months ago

Contact on the arm without getting any ball from Lucious's position is certainly not a clean play.

Lucious Close Up

Lucious Close Up by KJD

I love ISU's spirit though they seem to be way over heated on this one which is very understandable. Fran F could not drop his initial take, I like Fran F calling games too, and he seemed to have a bigger ax to grind. I thought Fran F's colleague had a great take on EJ's night and the ISU fans: http://es.pn/WohFgE

Navyjayhawker 4 years, 5 months ago

You read my mind, I kept watching that play over and over and couldn't believe they didn't call the reaching foul.

JayHok 4 years, 5 months ago

Some national news outlet might see this picture and be forced to write about it. I'm thinking Fran in particular.

Sam Constance 4 years, 5 months ago

No, it's too late. I've already seen TWO different blog posts about the end of game call decrying how the officials "stole" the game, one on Yahoo Sports and the other on CBS Sports.

I feel like Mugato in Zoolander.

IS EVERYBODY TAKING CRAZY PILLS?!?

KJD 4 years, 5 months ago

To finish this train of thought off, the ESPN replay's never show if Niang's left foot ever becomes set. The left foot certainly moves in that play and the replay never shows both feet completely set, just the right one, the left one disappears from the camera for a moment and it moves a lot. The replay does not support Fran F's conviction. Of course Hilton is going to be biased and the ISU team has lost too many late game heart breakers in conference to understand how upset they got dropping this one.

mattiesdad 4 years, 5 months ago

Plus he's flopping back. He did not hold his position. If he stands tall, he gets the charge. He flopped several times during the game.

KJD 4 years, 5 months ago

Less than a half second between these two photos showing how much his left foot moves. Look at Niang's foot in relationship to the arc.

The official is in a great spot and should have called blocking. The call he does make is a make-up call which happens in basketball.

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought the real "make-up" call in the game was the charge on Withey which was complete bullshi!....only 2 possessions later calling a block on Ejim in which Withey probably SHOULD HAVE been called for an offensive foul.

Ed Brown 4 years, 5 months ago

Don't forget the brilliant move by Young when Withey should have fouled out. Epic.

KJD 4 years, 5 months ago

Before

Before by KJD

None

by KJD

Even in relationship to the painted block on the outside of the key you can see how much that left foot moves in .03 or .04 seconds. He's never set.

William Foreman 4 years, 5 months ago

Hoiberg seemed to have a lot to say to the ref as he walked off the court.

KULA 4 years, 5 months ago

That right foot is by no means "set." If it is even touching the court, it couldn't have been at the instant that EJ's feet left the floor. You have to be "set" before the offensive player jumps. It's either a block or a no-call.

JJHawq 4 years, 5 months ago

I think the mayor is going to be a thorn in our side for a loooooong time. Talk about an entire team that plays like their coach did...

actorman 4 years, 5 months ago

Yep. This could become a hell of a rivalry, but one where we can root for them when they're not playing us. Despite the fans' reactions at the end, I generally like ISU and root for them. And Hoiberg is definitely a class guy. I'd say that ISU is my second favorite team in the conference.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 5 months ago

I think he got whacked in the head by a sibling in the excitement. Mushberger missed mom checking his head at the very beginning of the scene, but then "Mushberger missed ..." is sort of a given. Makes you think that what this country needs is more glue.

Jim Johnson 4 years, 5 months ago

Well I'd say third, I still like both Kansas teams over the rest but IS is always a favorite.They have always been a class act.

Kip_McSmithers 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure class acts throw debris at the opposing team. Or boo after every single whistle that goes against them.

Michael Luby 4 years, 5 months ago

It does indeed seem like Iowa st can be a team that could replace MU in terms of rivalry. I dont know for sure if Hoiberg is a classy guy or not. Jaybate doesnt seem to think so. So, I guess we take that with a grain or two of salt huh?

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

LuLu,

Fred is a terrific coach and person.

That's why I want to beat him down.

Fred is a challenge to Coach Self and KU.

Fred is exactly the kind of challenge Coach Self needed at this point in his career.

But...

Gotta get him now before he gets rolling on us and becomes a real problem.

Robert Murphy 4 years, 5 months ago

Iowa State has always been a thorn in our side. We've sent some of our best teams to Iowa and lost. Johny Orr loved to beat us and did so often. That's what makes a great conference.

oldrocker 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with the comments about ISU becoming a good rivalry, however, I get tired of hearing about Hilton Magic. Over the last 136 home games, ISU is 112-24 in Hilton and KU is 129-7 in Allen...who has the real Magic!

KUKip 4 years, 5 months ago

Hilton Magic was more like Hilton Tragic this time!

Michael Luby 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow, what a game. I really really hope EJ keeps playing this way the rest of the year. If he does then Watch Out! National Champs here we come!! Not to take anything away from EJ or our Hero Hawks but, correct me if Im wrong but didnt Durant or Beasley have 40 in a game one time?

Jim Roth 4 years, 5 months ago

I think they did, but Gary's statement was about scoring by KU players.

I had to read it twice too.

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 5 months ago

It's about ime our PGs play like real PGs. Drive, penetrate, dish, shoot 3s, and dunk! Hats off to EJ. We saw you put your shoes on tonight. Great team effort. Rock chalk!

LAJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Not to detract from the ridiculous comeback of THE PROPHET -- which will, undoubtedly and deservedly, get a plethora of positive posts -- but this just has to be said...

Who are the two college basketball coaches to reach 500 wins in the fewest amount of seasons?

Roy Williams and Bill Self.

That's right. At Kansas we don't rebuild, we reload.

Even with our Coaches.

Rock Chalk.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

Well said. Despite failing to win a title here, Roy was such a prodigious winner at Kansas that it seemed unlikely any successor would come close to his overall legacy; it's incredible that Self has actually improved on Roy's record.

actorman 4 years, 5 months ago

Beautifully said, LA. And as impressive as Roy's record was/has been, what Self has accomplished is even more impressive, given that he had to start at Oral Roberts. Roy never had to deal with that.

Steve Gantz 4 years, 5 months ago

Agreed, but coaches back in the day didn't coach as many games so that taints it a bit.

LAJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

It's taints the fact that over the last 25 years we've had some of if not THE most successful basketball in the NCAA? How so?

Of course, I'm not being obtuse, I understand your point, but (1) it has nothing to do what I was saying (that we continue to have the highest level of success even after coaching changes), and (2) comparing coaching eras is as erroneous as comparing baseball players from the 1920s to today. It's simply not the same game. It's not the same game it was in Adulph Rupp's time. It's not even the same game it was in Dean Smith's time.

Now I'm not saying that makes them better or worse, or that either of those guys wouldn't have high levels of success today. I'm just saying it was a different era. I mean, Michael Jordan played college ball for 3 years, for the love of God.

It simply isn't the same game, so it's not fair... to coaches from either era... to compare the two on direct statistical analysis... which I didn't do. :-)

Ethan Berger 4 years, 5 months ago

First of all, holy crap EJ. Best performance by a KU guy since Nick Collision vs UT. That three as the shot clock expired was beyond clutch. However, I want to talk about the events of the end of the game. Since my ESPN didn't start working until 30 seconds left in the second half, I missed the vast majority. First of EJ dunk was unnecessary. However, it was just a dunk and I can understand ISU anger, but come on he didn't go fight fans in the stands.

Second, throwing objects at players as the leave is as low as you can get. But you know what? I like it. Our players were not harmed, rather ISU fans being disgusted. It really enhances a rivalry when stuff is thrown. The mayor is a great coach and I want success for ISU just so the rivalry can be great. If you go look at the pictures of this game, one of the last one was an ISU fan being restrained after confronting Bill Self. In 2013 we call that classless, in 1973, they called it sports. As long as no one is harmed, it is good to see anger, happiness, and all the other big emotions. Which is why the Marcus Smart backflip doesn't bother me. I doubt he thought how can I be a jerk, he probably was just filled with happiness.

Sports are sports, they aren't life and they aren't death. But they mean so much because of the competition. No harm no foul, everyone who has played a sport has had moments where they stop think and start reacting. It happened today and it makes for a great new grand rivalry, hopefully.

KULA 4 years, 5 months ago

Great game by all our seniors, but Perry really stepped up big tonight. Looks like he's ready to contribute in a meaningful way, and not a moment too soon.

RJ King 4 years, 5 months ago

It seems like he's been in a defer, defer, soft, defer mode all season. Tonight, with Young (and Withey? I forget . . . ) on the bench, Perry suddenly became "the man" in one particular sequence. Good omen for next year.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 5 months ago

It came against a team with everyone smaller than him, like he was back in HS again.That's not typical D1 BB, so don't get your hopes up too high just yet.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

exactly my thoughts as I was watching it happen last night.

championhawks 4 years, 5 months ago

Even though everyone was smaller, I thought he at least took a step forward. He hit some shots (which will be big when he's in with Withey, brings a dimension that Young can't bring) and went after some rebounds.

Don't get me wrong, he still has a lot of work to do (finishing around the rim and going hard after every rebound), but he did show some promise. Hopefully this performance will increase his confidence from here on out.

nostradavid 4 years, 5 months ago

Elijah lit the fuse tonight. The seniors are going to carry this team on their backs, and woe be unto those who get in their way. The young guys will learn a ton in the next month, and have great fun stretching their skills. Hang on and enjoy the ride!

Time to Fight!

Time to Fight! by nostradavid

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

Copied from my comments in the post-game discussion:

EJ picked a great time to bust out his cape!

Fran & Brent were ridiculous. Was it a questionable call/no-call? Sure. But how many of those went against us all game long? If they want to bemoan on how you officiate from the opening tip to the final buzzer, how about not focusing on the one call at the end? And because of all of their whining that's all we'll hear about. Stuart Scott led with it on SportsCenter.

Ben is way too passive when the going gets tough. Second close game in a row he disappeared. He was an absolute non-factor. Earlier in the conference season I was calling for Tharpe to cut into EJ's minutes and/or AW3 to cut into EJ's minutes, but maybe those guys should be taking some of Ben's. Not a lot, but if we're not out in transition and he's not getting open looks from 3 he's completely neutralized.

Thought Perry was solid again off the bench. Finally emerging as a reliable 3rd big?

I am a little worried that Bill hasn't solved the riddle of how to handle teams that play small and stretch us. Misery gave us fits last year. ISU last year and this year. We could easily have 2 losses to ISU this year if not for BMac's heroics in the first meeting and EJ's tonight (and could have lost both the Misery games last year for that matter). My concern is that we run into a team like that in the tourney and we don't get a Herculean effort from somebody to pull out the win. Still think playing Travis and AW3 at the 4 is the way to go there, but Bill seems unwilling to go that route very often.

Anyway, just some quick observations. Great win. Rock Chalk!

Phoggie_Thinking 4 years, 5 months ago

I must moderately disagree. Ben did what I hoped Elijah would have done earlier in the season. WHEN SOMEONE ELSE is on fire stop shooting and let them have the ball. You can't be hot every game. Sometimes the other guys are the ones. Ben showed basketball smarts: Tonight is Elijah's night get him the ball. Great game for Ben as a team mate.
Also how does a guy score 21 more quietly than Reliford? He is a stud.

When you beat a team that is throwing down 3's on lob attempts you have played your heart out.

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

Well I agree that it's smart to defer to the hot hand, but I'm looking at the game in it's totality. EJ had what...9 points at the half? And he scored 20 points in the last 5+ minutes of regulation and the overtime. So he caught fire at the end. Where was BMac before that? I'm not saying he needs to drop 15-20 every night, but he had 6 shots in 38 minutes. That's not being aggressive.

Agree, Travis is a stud.

Luke Kading 4 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree icthawk. It would be nice if BMac was better at creating his own shot, but unfortunately I just don't think his game is there yet. However, what I think he could be great at now and should do more often, is coming off of a screen ready to shoot. Whether it's a ball screen or he is coming into a pass off of the screen, I would love to see him dribble (or catch), pull up, elevate, and shoot more. He rarely seems to do this, but I think he would be very good at it. He finally started to do it in the second game against K-State and he was very effective.

Kevin Huffman 4 years, 5 months ago

To give Ben credit.....given the previous game against them, they were on him like glue....he kept going out deep and his defender was unable to "help".

Micky Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. This worked out well in 2008. I think everyone remembers. When you have players that can go off for 30 or 39 in a game, let them when they're hot.

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

Again, EJ hadn't caught fire until the end of the game. Plenty of opportunities before then.

Jim Roth 4 years, 5 months ago

Freshman tend to disappear in away games with hostile crowds, even superstar freshmen. You can't replicate that animosity in practice, and it takes awhile to develop a thick skin.

bradh 4 years, 5 months ago

What, no one is questioning why EJ is on the team, or Self's mental acuity for sticking with EJ? Nice game EJ.

Navyjayhawker 4 years, 5 months ago

I have to agree with you, EJ has been bashed hard on here. I never said it but I was thinking it. Now here is my problem, everyone is praising EJ but what will be said when he has another Forth Worth like game? EJ is strong but not always solid, he will make us or break us. Good game though EJ, keep it up, We need you.

kufaninmo 4 years, 5 months ago

I think this pic kinda sums it up for ISU last night:

I think this pic kinda sums it up for ISU last night: by kufaninmo

jayhawkeratheart 4 years, 5 months ago

What a tear jerker for the coaches kid, such a sweet demonstration of the affect a ball game has on even the young ones. Very moving picture, even though he was not the only one crying at the end. With the camera sweeps we saw a lot of Cyclone fans doing just that. Nail biter to the end....RCJHKU

William Foreman 4 years, 5 months ago

Very poignant, but I think the camera stayed on him a bit too long.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 5 months ago

I didn't think it stayed on him long enough.

burnmu 4 years, 5 months ago

I was so glad to get that win last night, but that's ISU's HC boy crying, I don't think exploiting that is cool. We'd all be upset if someone put HCBS kid on a blog crying because we lost a big game.

NoteToSelf 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought EJ's last drive in regulation should have been a charge, but you can dispute calls throughout the game. Lucious certainly could have been called for grabbing EJ's arm on the same drive and Withey's charge call was disputed by Fran earlier as an obvious block. If the Big 12 is reviewing the last play (which was a judgement call) then they need to look at the entire game.

EJ ended last season by shooting better and handling the ball better than earlier in the season. Hopefully he is rounding into form. Loved the way Perry shot the ball without hesitating. Who stole Ben and put AWIII in #23 jersey? Ben needs to "man up" and demand the ball too.

Great win for HCBS and the Hawks!

Phoggie_Thinking 4 years, 5 months ago

The charge/block non call overshadows the Withey/Young foul call.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 5 months ago

Nice to see EJ blow off some frustration... Can't blame him for the dunk. He played like a Senior last night. No mercy, either... He had the killer instinct when everyone else had lost it.

Jim Stauffer 4 years, 5 months ago

Let me just say this about the charge no call. I do believe it was a charge. Having said that, I hope every sportscaster and writer and fan in the country is happy now that you have seen the results of your famous chant, "let the players decide the game". And another, "You can't let a call in the last minute decide the game, let them play on."

Well your point is well taken by the officials and if you watch games all over the country, you see plays like this become no calls because the refs don't want to get fried by guys wearing ties and no sweat on press row.

JayHok 4 years, 5 months ago

How can this be stated without acknowledging EJ getting grabbed before the contact down low? If we're going to talk about the play lets talk about the entire play. Also his feet weren't set, take a look at the photos. That shouldn't matter if EJ getting grabbed driving the lane was called. Right?

WETSUhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Officiating is about calling what you see, you DO NOT anticipate the call. The lead official has a 180 degree different angle than the camera. From his angle and the previous post showing the left foot moved, the correct call was probably a bock. I would rather have a no call than an incorrect call. Seen too many games where officials call something that did not occur.

When I officiated, it was an unwritten rue that if the defender begins to fall back prior to contact then you swallow the whistle.

FearlessJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

It was so good to finally see us make baskets. It was a classic shoot-out. What was incredible is that this was as good Iowa State could possibly play and we still won, Had this been a typical night of shooting for us, we would have been buried.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

ISU is not a very good defensive team, while OSU is. I think we played well in both of those road games over the last week, given the respective strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

was Elijah fouled by Lucious? Yes. Are the refs going to call reaching on the deciding play of the game? Almost never. Did Elijah charge Niang? Yes. Were Niang's feet moving when EJ left the floor? maybe, but he was already in defensive position on the play. It was an obvious charge on Elijah just as much as Withey's charge foul earlier was an obvious block by Niang.

The officiating was horrible all game. The foul they called on Young that was obviously Withey's 5th is just another example that went in Kansas' favor.

The officials gave KU every chance to force OT and EJ took full advantage (like a great player does).

In OT they gave ISU every chance to came back and force a second OT and they came up empty handed.

A great game by EJ, Releford, Withey, Young, and Ellis for sure. There was not one player tonight who I thought played poorly, but if McLemore isn't going to be able to get shots off by running off screens, then he needs to develop his one on one game and learn to get his own shots.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

Regarding your point about the officiating in OT, I watched again and that travel call on Withey was completely bogus -- much like his third and fourth "fouls," the refs invented that one out of thin air.

David Robinett 4 years, 5 months ago

...and The Prophet said there would be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

(in Ames)

KansasComet 4 years, 5 months ago

Elijah Johnson is my main man. He deserves our encouragement, let's help build him up instead of tearing him down. Yes, I said I believed in him, when there were so many calls for him to be benched, and this is why. The young man is a winner! I enjoyed the dunk at the end of the game. It is amazing how so many have an opinion about Marcus Smart doing a back flip at the end of the first OSU game, however, there is no mention of Forte's racing down court to beat the buzzer at the end of the game, when it was out of reach, giving OSU a five point victory. I don't care, play to the buzzer. I am extremely happy that EJ is finding his groove!

4 years, 5 months ago

Totally agree Comet, play to the buzzer. If you are gong to surrender at the end might as well surrender at the beginning. Play hard 'til the final whistle on both sides. Oh and check out Victor Oladipo's dunk against MU at he end of the game, he was dribbling then just took off. Rock Chalk.....Jayhawk!!!!!

KansasComet 4 years, 5 months ago

GBhawk,

"If you are going to surrender at the end, might as well surrender at the beginning". I like your way of thinking!!! It is a contest. It is not every player plays, lets not keep score and everybody wins. In Kansas, we take the bad with the good. Nothing for EJ to apologize for.

741hawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Outside the Box: Nomination for MVP (Most Valuable Person) Towards the end of the game, ISU's legs left them. Their shots clanged. KU continued to play with energy, even in OT! Game Ball to Hudy.

Travis has played virtually every minute of the last two games. And, in the KU/ISU overtimes this year, KU has copmbined to outscore ISU 36 - 16. Andrea Hudy: The unsung heroine of the KU Men's Basketball Team. RC

Benjamin Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

Gary, it would be nice to have a sidebar to this story chronicling every shot E.J. hit from the last five minutes of regulation onward and the time left on the clock when he hit them.

Also, you tell us his shooting percentages entering the game but not what they were at game's finish.

W Keith Swinehart II 4 years, 5 months ago

Look at Hudy's reaction (on video replay) to EJ's dunk at the end. She was jumping up and down, grinning from ear to ear.

BrianandKati Robertson 4 years, 5 months ago

Last night was one of the most exciting games I have watched in quite some time. It had everything you could ask for in a game! It had highs and lows, it had twists and turns, it had adversity and triumph, but it most importantly had REDEMPTION for one much criticized KU player!! Last night's game showed that this group of players are not ready to give up the conference championship streak. I think besides the snow howling you could hear from the north 12 players yelling, "NOT ON OUR WATCH"!! Rock Chalk!!!!!!!

true_fan 4 years, 5 months ago

Nice job, EJ & the rest of the team. Senior leadership and (as Roy used to call it "want-to") were the difference in this game. I hope all the freshmen were paying attention, because we'll need them to have that fire next year for sure. And if this game did nothing else, I hope it made Mr. McLemore aware of just how much he needs (at least) one more season with HCBS before he's ready for the next level.

The toughest game left on the road to #9 is now behind us, let there be no trip-ups left! I think we're ready to take the Tournament crown from whoever thinks they deserve it, and we'll march all the way to Atlanta, burn that sucker down and raise another banner in the rafters of AFH!

RCJH!!

true_fan 4 years, 5 months ago

Actually, a couple more banners, what with Big XII title #9 and another Big XII tournament championship AND one for the next NC...

... just sayin' :o)

SDSurferFan 4 years, 5 months ago

Stoked for EJ. Kid deserves some good fortune. It reminded me of the Sherron Collins days.

The 8 pts Ellis had was huge.

Headed to Lawrence for the Sat game at AFH. So stoked! Warm there, right?

rtriggs 4 years, 5 months ago

They pronounce his first name differently than some. E-lahj-uh. So Lodge is just a shortened version of his name, the second syllable.

kcmojayhawker 4 years, 5 months ago

I am glad for KU and EJ, could wait any longer for EJ to have a breakout game. Never thought he would go for 39 against a conference foe, well maybe Tech, TCU, or. WVU. It is time for solid guard play, Ben needs to get back on track so we can make a major run in March. I can live with the play of everyone else last night, even though we still turn it over more than we like. Great game, KU may have gotten a bit lucky against ISU so far this year, but a famous coach once said, "you have to be good and lucky" Rock Chalk!

eastcoasthawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow, what a game! Had it all! If you haven't seen it yet go check out the ESPN hilites with Stuart Scott making the call. Then..."Elijah Johnson went STUPID!" Can not disagree. He willed his team to the win. Been waiting for this a long time. Well done EJ!

39 points most in the Big 12 this year. Most points by a KU player in 15 years. Wow!

Cary Bowlin 4 years, 5 months ago

So happy for Elijah Johnson, I have to admit I am one of his worst fans and I think he done a "in your face bowlincd" last night...Elijah, you deserved your night and I deserved my night, hoping this will be the norm for the rest of the year...thanks EJ...

Jeffery Barrett 4 years, 5 months ago

Dunking as the clock ran out was not a "blunder".

Kyle Coffey 4 years, 5 months ago

I believe they got back around 2 or 3 am..

AZJHWK 4 years, 5 months ago

Should have lost in regulation. Again BMac didn't show up on the road. JeffW gets bailed out of his 5th with the call on Young. It was a poorly officiated game, but KU lucked out with most of the critical call going there way. They won't last long in the Dance if they can't get it going on the road.

GreatJake 4 years, 5 months ago

That game is exactly what makes KUBB so great.

Playing a good team on the road; foul trouble; close game with leads changing,OT and seeing several KU players have a great game - EJ, Releford, Whitey, Young and Ellis.

Great coaching - the T and Tharpe playing point guard....Loved the T, it sucked the air out of the magical mystery stadium..

Thanks for the great game and EJ ....WOW

And the dunk may not have been basketballaly correct ...but you earned it

WisconsinJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Whew, sounds like it was a dangerous environment there in Hilton, especially near the KU bench, what with all the "exploding" KU players. Johnson "exploded" with 39 (I'll agree that qualifies as "exploding") while Releford "exploded" for 19. Why stop there? Withey exploded for 13 points, Young exploded for another 13, Tharpe exploded for 9 and Ellis blew up for 8 points. McLemore exploded for 7 points and Jamari Traylor exploded for a block, a steal, and a rebound.

Really, besides Johnson, the only thing that exploded were the heads of ISU fans who thought that 5 point lead with 28 seconds to play would hold up, and the KSU fans who probably exploded about the refs.

DanR 4 years, 5 months ago

Just wait until the next game when people start erupting.

thmdmph 4 years, 5 months ago

Bad calls are made all the time, both for and against you. If you're playing at home, you should never blame one bad call as why you lost the game. During the game, there were many just as bad calls going in ISU's ways. At the end of the day, playing with all the home court advantage, ISU shot 36% field goals, 42% 3-pters (17/41), 31 rebs, 16 assists, 19 fouls, and 4 steals VS KU shot +54% field goals, 52% 3's (13/25), 41 rebs, 21 assists, 22 fouls, and 5 steals. Understand, ISU is NOT a team that draw fouls throughout the entire season, by settling for three's, yet ISU drew 3 more fouls than KU. It hurts, but the visiting team was the better team last night.

davehawkSWK 4 years, 5 months ago

I disagree with the assumption that KU lucked out with most of the critical calls going their way. Review the video of the game and look at EJ's drive. There are three items to look at. First, EJ has his body wrapped by the defender on the drive. Second, Niang is not set as he is still shifting his feet. To be called a charge the defender must be stationary when posting up. Third, check out the uppr body of Niang. As EJ is driving in the lane Niang's upper body is slightly toward EJ. Yet, just before impact his body is starting to lean backward on his own impetus, not EJ's. This would be an example of flopping, such as in the past Mizery games. At one point the NCAA Basketball Officials committe had made a point of emphasis on the flopping. However, it is rarely called.

The block/charge "no call" would be a moot point if the officials had called the right call to begin with, and that is the hold on EJ in the paint. Bottom line, the officiating was very poor with the officials, at times out of position. If the side official had been in place, and if the lead official had been looking in the lane and not at the basket to check the flight of the ball, then there would be no controversy. Go back and re-play the game if you taped it and check how many times the officials are looking at the ball in the air instead of keeping their respective eyes on the positions of the court where the players are.

ESPN has an article stating that the Big 12 will be checking the officials' calls in the game. I sincerely hope that there is one person who has the integrity to step up and call it right. Musberger is the sorriest commentator behind the mic and should keep his mouth shut, which would enhance his intelligence level! Again, there is no controversial call IF the officials had called the first foul correctly as the side official and the trail official should both have seen the defender body up EJ and come around on the wrap.

JayHok 4 years, 5 months ago

If that's true whoever took those pictures needs to post them all over the EsPN article and also send them to the Big 12. Included should also be the two phantom Withey calls which surely could be captured in a photo. That changed much of the game too. Withey had to be on the bench quite a bit because of those two calls.

theend 4 years, 5 months ago

Hmmmmm???? And where are all the Elijah haters from a few weeks ago that trashed him and said despicable things about him? I'm sure you're right back on here singing his praises now. Funny how that works.

WETSUhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not an EJ hater. I will not post negative comments on this board. I've been critical of EJ most the year. All four seniors and especially EJ make too many bonehead turnovers, even this game early on. My criticism of EJ has gone down a lot in the past month because he has been driving the ball and being the EJ of old. I believe he has got his swagger back that he had in the tournament last year.

justinryman 4 years, 5 months ago

Missouri is pretty good on the.......

No no they are not, couldn't even finish that without laugh so hard. Oh man is that idea funny.

theend 4 years, 5 months ago

Was there a bad call? Maybe. But who cares?? ISU had an entire overtime at home to win it. They choked and got trashed by 12 points. Hey ISU fans......shut up and deal with it.

PS-Hilarious that ISU has banners flying for their tournement appearances and Sweet 16 appearances. How pathetic.

Steve Yeakel 4 years, 5 months ago

Sorry Bill and EJ, let me clean that egg off my face. Sorry for criticizing you both for sticking with EJ at the point, though it is very good to get Naadir in there often and let you go 2 guard as well. Having seen Wilt and Jo Jo play, and all the rest, this ranks right up there with the best half game performances of all time, by a Jayhawk or anyone. If EJ can bring this type of play more consistently, without this leading to bad play, he will be first round NBA and help us go all the way this year. Way to go you two, and Travis, Jeff, Kevin, Perry, Naadir. Ben, they picked you up this time. We have no problem with that kind of play, do not care whether it is you or EJ. Go Jayhawks!

Orion2648 4 years, 5 months ago

Without overtime, KU loses the game. How we got to overtime, well . . . it wasn't due to great play. I'm afraid it's going to be a short dance in March.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

Elijah scores 8 points in the last 35 seconds of regulation? No, that wasn't "great play" at all. I'm sure you could have done that in your sleep.

justinryman 4 years, 5 months ago

Nope without OT the game ends in a tie.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

We got some fuortunate calls late in regulation, but if EJ didn't hit some huge clutch 3s and some huge clutch free throws, and if KU doesn't manage the clock perfectly by putting ISU on the free throw line, then there is no OT.

Great play had everything to do with it.

Ludwig Supraphonic 4 years, 5 months ago

Just watched the game again. I suppose rooting for the underdog is common and Brent, Fran and the studio talking heads wanted to ramp up Hilton Magic. Hoiberg is an excellent coach with some outstanding offensive players. Brent and Fran declared Withey "exposed" as if the strategy of forcing him to guard away from the basket was unique. We found a way to win in a hostile environment. An outstanding conference victory. Brent's head wagging and Fran's one note tune "make the call" were unnecessary efforts to make their commentary a valuable part of the game. I want the players to be more interesting than the refs and the commentary to take a back seat to both.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, they meant it in the nicest possible way.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

I think that they were referring specifically to people from Ames.

Most ISU students aren't from Ames, so they don't have to be nice.

Sam Constance 4 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone else feel like the world has gone insane?

I don't remember there being this much controversy about the way the Colorado/Arizona game ended, with an official literally waving off a shot that was good WITH THE BENEFIT OF REPLAY.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a little bit. There was a lot of hubbub about that game. But still, I cannot believe the media frenzy that is going on about the end of regulation in this game. As I mentioned above in response to someone's post, both CBS Sports and Yahoo! Sports already have blog posts up talking about how that call may have ended up costing Iowa State a spot in the NCAA tournament... Um, WHAT!?!? Even if true, is it not a little insane to start blaming the Cyclones tourney woes on one call in a game against Kansas? Doesn't Iowa State's consistent inability to close out games this season maybe have a little more to do with their current situation than one bad call in a game FULL of bad calls?!?

And the Big 12 is only making it worse by coming out and IMMEDIATELY declaring that they are reviewing the play, implying that there is actually a controversy. I know we like to joke about the Big 12 being tired of seeing Kansas at the top, but you hear things like this and it's hard not to find some truth in that idea. As far as the Big 12's official review goes...

To me, when a game is reviewed for reffing quality, they need to be careful about punishing too hard for a bad judgement call. You have to empower your refs to make judgement calls and give them the leeway to be wrong or they will end up not making calls for fear of the punishment for an incorrect call. So reviewing the end of game call doesn't really provide much value, even if the supervisor determines that the end of game play should have been a charge/block. It was a bang-bang play and the ref called it like he thought he should. If he was wrong, you can't do much more than point out what they SHOULD have seen and move on.

(to be continued...)

Sam Constance 4 years, 5 months ago

(...continued)

But there are two calls in this game that seem fair to pick on. First, Young fouling out with Withey's foul is worthy of inspection because it involves a procedural error, rather than a judgement error. Although one point I will raise from a devil's advocate point of view is that the refs simply may not have CALLED the foul when Withey made contact. Both Withey and Young fouled the ballcarrier, but as we've seen happen before, the foul has to be credited to the player who was called for it. It's entirely possible that they didn't blow the whistle for Withey's contact, only seeing the foul once Young committed it. If they had given the foul to Withey, having blown the whistle when Young made contact, then it would have been a bad call. You can't just assign the foul to Withey because he actually committed the first foul, even though it wasn't called.

The other reviewable play, in my eyes, is the first half offensive goaltending call that went against KU. For starters, isn't a play like that reviewable when the refs don't have a call on the floor? They had a pow-wow to discuss the play, but I don't know how a discussion was going to help them arrive at determining whose hand out of 4 or 5 hands was actually the one that pulled the net. If they didn't see it (which they clearly didn't based on the pow-wow), then they need to look at an OFFICIAL review of the play. The worst part was that they seemed to make the call after looking up at the big screen video replay--to me, that seems like an enormous NO NO. Looking at an unofficial replay with a terrible angle while listening to the home crowd react in real time to what you're seeing? That's just ASKING to make the wrong call because you were influenced by the home environment. If the refs are going to use media to help them make calls, then it needs to be OFFICIAL media, not some hometown jumboscreen.

This all really irks me, because it's making it harder to enjoy what was really an outstanding, once-a-year type of win (even though we do seem to have gotten our fair share of these this and last year). I shouldn't have to be defending KU from the onslaught of dumb fan kneejerk reaction to officiating "controversy". And you can bet that every bumpkin KSU fan is going to have a snide comment about officiating if they end up finishing tied for the Big 12 title this year.

justinryman 4 years, 5 months ago

The Withey/Young call was made because the refs were out of position to make the right call on the right person. They were out of position a lot last night.

The other thing that irked me is with all the technology, high tech video boards why can't they make a clock that works? Or a time keeper that knows what he is doing? In the first half there were two or three stoppages of play to make sure the clock was right. This also happened in the 2nd half vs OK st. It is basically giving the home team free timeouts when KU gets a small run going. Reminds me of the fake injury by defender vs the hurry up offense in football.

There hasn't been any clock resets at AFH this year that I am aware of. Nice home cookin

justinryman 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh and on the whole "pow wow" scoreboard review all 5 of ISU players were standing right next to the refs pointing at the scoreboard and talking to them.

Step back and let them do their jobs. Even Fran said they peeked at the scoreboard to make the call.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Family issues prevented me from seeing the game but I did tape it. Would any of you suggest that I watch it or should I just delete it?? :}

Actually I stayed up toll 1:00 am and watched the second half and overtime twice.

Just one question, is it a state law that every girl in Iowa dye their hair blonde?????

Steve Gantz 4 years, 5 months ago

Watch it. Lots of good exciting action throughout. As a change it featured some scoring. Both teams had some nice little scoring runs where it looked like they'd take over but the other team answered. I wish I had the time to watch it again.

garnerdad 4 years, 5 months ago

I was there in AFH for the game against NC State in 91. Terry Brown was AWESOME! I mean NO disrespect to Mr. Brown (I still have my #3 terry cloth), but Elijah's performance was superlative - all I can say is WOW!!! hands down the best performance down the stretch (even better than Mario's Miracle). He put the team on his back and let them ride!!!

and, I loved the heads up play by Young to get the foul called on himself rather than Jeff. That was pretty darn clever!

this year has not been perfect, but it has been exciting, I am ready for more!!! RCJH

Orion2648 4 years, 5 months ago

Great play occurs against great teams . . . or against teams who, at the very least, receive a vote for National ranking. It was Iowa State.

justinryman 4 years, 5 months ago

By describing "great" do you mean losing 4 games this year either in OT, 2 of those vs KU or in the last seconds of regulation?

How is that great? Great teams find ways to win games, not lose them.

ISU relied too much on the 3 ball. It kept them in the game. KU's superior conditioning won them that game as ISU ran out of gas with about 2 minutes to play.

The game is 40 minutes, not 38 not 39 or even 39 minutes and 59 seconds. 40 minutes, gotta play em all or you lose. ISU lost their legs and then quit with about 8 seconds in OT allowing EJ to break free for that dunk. Hey they took a shot with 1 second left on the clock so they still wanted to play, just play on the offensive end.

Steve Gantz 4 years, 5 months ago

How about a game ball to Young for taking Withey's obvious foul for himself and fooling the refs? Keeping Withey in the game is always a plus.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 5 months ago

Worst officiated game I've seen in ages... both ways. Elijah's no call on the charge and the subsequent foul call on the baseline scrum were perfect. If you're gonna' make terrible calls all night, you've gotta' make them at the end as well!

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Great point j4..the initial call against Elijah at the beginning of the game whereby HCBS got his technical perfectly booked ended perfectly the horrible call near the end of regulation with the Elijah block/charge/no call.

Still. I've never seen so many "Tri-Bombs" from both sides go through with nothing but net!!! I am saving the second half and overtime of this classic!!

wrwlumpy 4 years, 5 months ago

EJ gave Holly the most honest, open postgame interview I've ever seen. He talked about crying after the 3 losses. He talked about Self getting back in his face and spuring him on to the historical night. Self explained what the argument was about and it was just a case of a senior talking to the coach and repeating Self's word back to the coach to let the last play go and move on to the next. Self laughed about his response in the press conference as screaming back at him "I will as soon as I'm through screaming at you about that last play."

He also would be the perfect choice to narrate a documentary on KU basketball.

Recruits need to know that when you play for KU and you are on Big Monday every other week, you become a nationally known star. ESPN newscaster create Nicknames for you as you become professionals in front of the camera as EJ was last night. His apology was praised on all the Media outlets. The anger of the fans last night simply means that they care very much about basketball in Iowa. I saw more fans crying than angry. Jimmy Chitwood showed up in Ames last night and scored 39 point and after the game the local hillbillies threw assistant coach Dennis Hopper's son into the trophy case.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Yep, Coach Dale got that technical foul to fire up the team!!

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

Moments of greatness are only fully appreciable against a yard stick of baseness.

Great post by the way.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

"Ascending the Mt. Olympus of Wood"

Part One

EJ goes down in KU history as playing the greatest second half of KU basketball I can recall. Why? It is not just that he hung 30 in the second half and OT. Its that he hung much of that 30 down a stretch run of the second half and OT, at a point when KU seemed DOOMED. I suppose Bud Stallworth's 50+ in the two point era might have given him a run for the money, since Bud probably would have scored 60 or so for his game in trey time and so probably would have had 30 in one half or the other without OT.

But even Stallworth's great shooting exhibition did not precipitate like a rain squall from nowhere, as EJ's did. Stallworth's historical moment was a methodical, game-long shoot-down. EJ literally caught fire. He was like a burning bush in Addidas out there--afire but not consumed by fire. Something great and epically deferred began to speak through him. Something that was part EJ, part his struggles, and part The Legacy. Something came through EJ that channelled all the way back to toad on a rock. It was more than Biblical with a capital B. It was the living myth taking hold of a human being that had suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune on a level unparalleled in my memory for sure, and sent the cumulative voltage of a entire legacy coursing through him to right all the wrongs against all those in the legacy that had ever been wronged by injury, unfulfilled expectations, and senior struggles. Calling it the greatest performance by a KU guard in history, as Self did last night to Holly, seemed right last night, but not now that I have awoken and confirmed with pinching that what I saw was not a dream, but the XTReme Heroism of a young man in ShoeCo rubbers finally breaking through all the outrageous obstacles the fates could have piled onto (and did pile onto) a point guard in his senior season.

Not since Nick Collison's ascent to the high mountains of basketball performance have we seen such a performance. And it was better than that for Nick's was, like Bud Stallworth's, a game-long climb up Mt. Olympus. Elijah Johnson's game for the ages came on the heels of three quarters of a game that seemed to promise little more than yet another brave incremental improvement by a senior gamely fighting through a career of shoulder injuries, knee injuries, knee hardware, flu, flu aftereffects, recurrent and staggering mental mistakes, the longest shooting slump of any player in the history of basketball (that I can recall), all while trying to keep one of the most unorthodox teams playing some of the most unorthodox schemes on track to a record extending run of conference championships in a crib known for being bad luck for KU.

greykatz 4 years, 5 months ago

EJ and Hamlet...two of a kind. Shakespeare would likely approve of today's prose, jaybate.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 5 months ago

"Brevity is the soul of wit." Shakespeare's Polonius. J/K, I like you posts JB but couldn't resist.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

Part 2

For three quarters of a game, EJ showed signs of more "pop;" something that has been slowly manifesting for a couple games now, but which has remained overshadowed by horrendous shooting, and an awful habit of following a mistake with a worse mistake. For three quarters of a game, he oscillated between showing some pop, making a play, and then getting blown by while licking his hands and wetting his shoe soles. For three quarters of the game, he made deft assists and then a bad pass. For three quarters of the game it was like watching a talented Sissyphus roll his game almost to the top of what he once was, and then watching him slide back down the plain, only to gamely fight his way back up, then slide back down. But unlike 26 or so previous games this season, his knees seemed not to weaken, or get tweaked--his confidence seems not erode as much as it increased, as the game wore on; this was new. And unlike the previous 26 games or so of this nightmare season of his, each back slide seemed to grow shorter, before he scrambled back with his heavy burden and potentially great game to the top.

The truth is I was ecstatic for EJ's incremental improvement BEFORE his breaking out of the Sissyphian thing--BEFORE his booster rocket ascent of Mt. Olympus down the stretch. I was sitting there thinking, well, yes, he just bone-headed one that might cost us the game later, and he was talking too much to his teammates and not paying enough attention to his own knitting, and he looked better at the two with Naadir on point, than he did on point himself for considerable stretches, but I was also thinking, as I have all season long: so, what else is new? This kid has balls the size of Jupiter to come even this far this season given what he has had to overcome. This young man is actually going to do the impossible. He is going to retrofit his game in his senior season, AND still lead his team to a conference title and a run in the Madness. If he never plays a great game in his life, even if he never reaches the potential that injury has so far denied him, if he just keeps up the incremental improvement he is going to be among the most gutsy, heroic point guards I can recall, and that includes Tyshawn Taylor and Sherron Collins (and that's damned gutsy and heroic company). I thought, he IS going to fit it all together by March at this rate. I was so happy for him and for KU that after some grousing, I didn't care about his botches and that KU was likely to lose the game. It was increasingly apparent, I thought, as I always have, that making the best of a raw deal, is as admirable as making the best of any kind of deal. EJ was going to round into "good enough" form, probably not what he once could have been, but good enough form by the tail end of the season to make a run for the title and the ring.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

Part 3

I was also feeling pretty humbled, yet again, that my pre-game prediction was going to look pretty foolish…again. :-)

But then something happened. It was something that happened once in a great while in basketball. EJ called it a black out, but with all due respect to an intelligent and articulate young man, that doesn't do it justice. At that moment, a besieged young man apparently saw clearly. Saw that all was lost if someone did not do something. At that very moment with a quarter of the game to go, he seemed to see that all of his teammates had already pulled the cart as far as they could. He seemed to see that each teammate had an obstacle, a match-up, that could not be overcome at that moment without him seizing the moment. He seemed to see the best players of a team, locked down, frustrated, spinning. It was not that they could not have found another way to win. It was that at that moment, all could have been lost if he did not intervene at least long enough for his mates to survive to find another way to win. EJ seemed to see that not just a moment was to be lost, but a game and a title streak, and the potential of his senior season, and all that he had worked for since he was old enough to dream of playing the greatest game ever invented.

As his historic moment began to unfold I kept hearing my late father's voice saying, "In war, there are moments, when a few men seem to lose their minds with clarity. They are not being brave, so much as they are, under incredible stress, suddenly seeing so clearly what must be done to save their buddies that they lose their minds and stand up in the midst of fire and begin doing things no one else can comprehend. For a certain brief time they move around the chaos and violence of a battle field, not as if no harm could come to them, but rather as if all that mattered were walking through the hail of fire to the machine gun and placing the satchel charge in the gun slit of the pill box, then moving on calmly on the run to the cave entrance nearby and walking up and emptying a clip nearly point blank in it,followed by a hand grenade, then walking to a wounded buddy and pouring sulfa on a wound, stuffing a bandage on the wound, calling corpsman! then grabbing a flame thrower from a dead Marine and climbing without hesitation to another cave entrance and roasting the enemy alive. Then sitting down on some volcanic rock and looking down as if they had done nothing at all. Just looking down and trembling some, and saying nothing at all even when the buddies they have saved approach them with stunned incredulity and gratitude for having some how having been impossibly saved. They seemed to my father sane and not sane at the same time.

kennethst 4 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate.....I would like to have met your father......a true patriot and hero. We owe our lives to veterans like him that sacraficed so much. Have you seen "The Pacific" yet? It would surely resonate with you. As usual.....great post!!

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

kennethst,

He was that.

You would have liked him, too.

He was a sunnuvabitch and he gave me the game and my life and I loved him.

The most incredible thing happened to me about 10 months ago. I was leafing through an out of print picture history of the Marine Corp I happened on and I saw a picture of him hustling ashore up the beach on Iwo Jima. It was black and white and somewhat blurred. He was looking back over his shoulder toward the camera man. He appeared incredulous someone was their taking pictures. He was on the run in a half stoop. The photo did not say who he was. But I knew it was him, because he didn't have a rifle in his hands like the other soldiers in the background did and he had a huge custom made knife hanging from his ammo belt in back that I had held many times as a boy. He told me once that he had dropped his carbine on the way down the nets to a landing craft and gone ashore unarmed. I asked were you worried about not having a weapon. No, he said. Why? I asked. Because there were always plenty of weapons of dead men that you could pick up, if you lived long enough to grab one. Shortly after this picture was taken began the longest three weeks of his then young life, and he had already survived Bougainville and Guam, at the age of 24. Three weeks he would never recall in detail but once in his 50s while weeping beside me in a parking lot of a chain restaurant. And I never knew why he remembered what he remembered there and not somewhere else, nor ever again. I don't think he did either. It was horrifying just hearing the small part of it he could then recall. Horrifying.

I have not seen The Pacific yet. Perhaps I have been avoiding it, because I miss him so. Thanks for the reminder.

Rock Chalk!

Woody Cragg 4 years, 5 months ago

I gotta second that JB, one of the best analogies you've written, that I've been fortunate enough to read. +108 (pts) that is!

James Donnell 4 years, 5 months ago

This is no time to question the officiating or to discuss anything except the unreal, once-in-a-lifetime performance by EJ. Savor it. It has been a long time since we have seen anything like it, and we may not again for just as long. I remember a number of high scoring performances in our storied past before, but NEVER have I seen a player make clutch play after clutch play, clutch shot after clutch shot. He single handedly took a team down by 7 points with a few minutes left in a hostile arena and gave them an overtime blow-out, leaving the home fans stunned and in tears.

I am so happy for EJ. It was absolutely mind-boggling. Something very special to behold.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

Part 4

Again, and again, my late father perseverated over the course of his survivor's guilt ridden life, that it was not like they were more courageous than anyone else, or that they were more skillful. It was that they both took leave of their senses, because of the accumulated stresses of years of trying to stay alive, of trying to overcome the outrageous fortune of life that had befallen them, and then something either snapped, or was bestowed upon them, and they saw things more clearly than any other normally sane exhausted man clawing through the volcanic ash trying to do a hellish job, and advance where ever seemed possible, could see what needed doing and how to do it.

EJ began to move about the court in Hilton Coliseum in a way unlike I had ever seen him move before. It was not the great athleticism, which he has shown so many times before his knee injuries. It was not the gradually restoring pop that he has evidenced the last few games. It was the VISION. And by this I do not mean the rational vision of a point guard trying to run a team. EJ has always shown some of that, whether he could consistently execute on that or not. It was GLOBAL vision. It was looking around the floor as if you could see EVERYTHING kind of vision. It was the vision not just of space, but of where things were going, and when, of what ISU was trying to do, what KU had not done but could do. It was medicine man vision. It was natural brain chemicals forced by stresses into flooding across conventional, pre-existing neural net burns and triggering new burn patterns that make things look more clearly than ever before. Hyperacuity. The big trance of full knowingness.

It was a real time case of a player borrowing Joe Dooley's words about what Self gives players in a huddle. Here's what you can do. Here is why it will work. Now go do it. ONly it was again and again and again for the last six minutes of regulation, plus 5 minutes of overtime in a hostile environment against a very skillful opposing coach and his very talented team. Elijah Johnson went and did it.

EJ became insanely sane for 11 minutes of play plus the time outs and free throw breaks and transition time to overtime.

Again and again he went places no one else could see.

Again and again, he saw what needed to be done and what could be done and did it without hesitation.

Again and again he called for the ball when he saw what could be done.

He drove. He leaped. He dribbled. He went behind the back not to show off but because it was the clear path. The sure thing in 360 moment.

He was so clear in his vision that he even saw when opportunities closed here and reopened there.

EJ had seven assists in this game.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

Part 5

In this stretch of being insanely sane, of seeing impossibly clearly, of going beyond the not infrequent "zone" players get into every few weeks, Elijah Johnson passed at the very moment a pass was timely, slashed at the very moment the crease was there, saw when openings closed, knew exactly when to charge, knew not to worry about a miss because he already saw the next thing that could be done, the next basket that could be made.

Nothing but death itself will ever erase the memory fro me of Elijah Johnson driving into the lane, seeing the opening close, then passing out of the dead end, then running to a spot at the trey stripe and calling for the ball not just with his voice, but with his whole body, his whole being. And then the calm, sure, turn and releasing not just of a game changer, but of yet another of a series of game changers that he already then knew would not be the last.

The trance (for lack of a better word) he was in continued after ISU had conceded defeat with still more seconds to go. The ball came to him as he could see it would. He could see the path was open. He was still in the moment, even if the opponent, even if his teammates, even if the thousands in the stands were already then dealing with the magnitude of what they had witnessed.

He drove it and dunked it as surely and smoothly and calmly as he would have, had all those in Hilton Coliseum thought the game was hanging in the balance. He was insanely sane. He was in the grip of absolute clarity still. And then the buzzer sounded and the conditioning of a player that has stopped playing hundreds times at the sound, maybe thousands of times, still seemingly in the trance, saw that it was time to stop. The trance did not stop suddenly though. These trance states never do. EJ went through the motions of celebration for the same reason he had just walked through the chaos of the game as if it were in slow motion around him. He still saw what needed to be done. But then as Nick Krug's incredible photo makes insanely clear, the warrior-player finally came to a calm stop and looked down as if lost in a black out, as his coach and a broadcaster beheld him.

For eleven minutes--660 seconds--Elijah Johnson had seen what no other soul in Hilton Coliseum had seen. For eleven minutes he had moved so truly that even his few mistakes were necessary to what had to be done. For eleven minutes, he had been where no one else could go.

The Mt. Olympus of wood.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 5 months ago

I think you have really outdone yourself on this one. Copy it for the book, it's worth it.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

Thx. His was an amazing performance.

MimiHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

A post on par with The Prophet's performance, jaybate.

Jim Johnson 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought for sure I'd get on here and read a bunch of apologies to coach Self and to EJ from two weeks ago but there are none. Come on guys man up and admit you are maybe, just maybe, not as smart as the coach and that young players go through things like this.

theend 4 years, 5 months ago

Exactly right. I posted a similar comment a few hours ago.

jaybate 4 years, 5 months ago

Jeez, why you want apologies from board rats?

I've defended EJ all season as the best option we had and as doing a courageous job inspite of his injuries, while acknowledging that EJ has sucked most of the season because of those injuries.

If anyone ought to want apologies for those dissing EJ and wanting Naadir and Rio get a bunch of his minutes, it would be me.

But I don't want an apology, because there is room for reasonable disagreement on what should have been done about EJ.

On the one hand, Self did the most logical thing he could have done. He let it all ride on EJ, while he developed Naadir as fast as he could in backup.

On the other hand, Self took a big gamble that EJ would eventually come around, rather than make his injuries worse and worse and finally be unable to play. The gamble has paid off most of the time (24 times to be exact, against four lemons), but there's no doubting that EJ's subpar performances were part of the 3 game losing streak and the loss to MSU.

If board rats are going to want apologies from other board rats for dissing EJ after one super game last night, then those other board rats dissing EJ deserve apologies from you guys for the three game losing streak and the MSU, right?

Wrong.

No one deserves, or needs, an apology about this. I know if I had been on the side demanding EJ's head, I wouldn't feel the least bit compelled to apologize and I would also be pointing out that its a long season and last night, great as it was, was just one game and EJ made a lot of the same mistakes he has been making all season long for the first three quarters of the game.

EJ isn't asking for an apology. Why are you?

Ludwig Supraphonic 4 years, 5 months ago

EJ had 19 with less than 3 minutes left in regulation. Twenty points in 8 minutes. Unbelievable.

gorilla 4 years, 5 months ago

What was wrong about Elijah Johnson's last seconds dunk? Why should he have to apologize? This team needs that kind of a killer instinct, go for the jugular, and rub their noses in it mentality. Maybe that TCU fiasco and the other two L's wouldn't have happened if the team had that mentality during that losing streak.

kennethst 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree completely. I'm tired of this wimp world of political correctness we now live in which you have to apologize for being "too good" or "too talented". Now ....it's all about being "fair".

JayhawkRock78 4 years, 5 months ago

Jinks, I posted on the other story, but since you are calling for it, I'll post here too. I hung one of our losses on EJ, and I called for him to get his game back. I never expected anything like I saw last night from anyone anywhere. I am extremely happy for that young man.

Brendon Allen 4 years, 5 months ago

The more I look the more I think the call was not as clear as everyone is making it out to be. His left foot was in the air and came down right as he got hit. Also this is happening bam bam so this really is not as controversial as everyone seems to be making it on inspection. It very well could have been a block. Here are two frames .035 sec apart in an animated form, watch the foot and its movement in comparison with the line, also notice the shadow the foot is making on the floor in the first frame.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 5 months ago

I watched the video slomo several times & I thought the foot was moving & came down on the half circle also. Could have been called either way but that is the reason I figured it was a no call. I actually typed that comment earlier today on this thread but before I was finished & could post it, the internet went down so I begrudgingly ventured out to dig more snow, there's no shortage for sure.

davehawkSWK 4 years, 5 months ago

The "call" is not as clear as Fran and Butthead deemed it to be! As I previously stated the officials were out of position to make the call. EJ was fouled prior to Niang flopping; therefore, moot point. I do feel that all officials often times call games in favor of the home crowd. In this game, during the entire process, there were many questionable calls. We, as fans, can do nothing more than to express our dissatisfaction with the officials on the sports blog. That is, unless, one wants to step up and have the NCAA officials committee review ALL games and then honor those officials who are: 1) unbiased as to the atmosphere 2) do not allow coaches on the sidelines to dictate calls (Coach K, Calimari) 3) and understand that this is a GAME, nothing more and nothing less. There are no medals for valor; there are no great rewards arbitrarily given to players - - these rewards are earned by the players through their respective play. I do not understand how fans can look at a game and feel "Well, they (officials) were bad for both sides." That, in my opinion, is the epitome of extreme BS. I wish that all coaches were allowed to voice his/her opinion on the officiating without sanctions being placed on the coach for speaking out.

I have followed basketball, as a player, as a coach, and as an official, and cannot understand how true fans can accept the complacency of the officials today. If you can recall an official of E. Hightower, then you will know how officials can, and do, change the flow of the game. Mr. Hightower, in his later years, was more for putting himself on the High-Tower, than he was in perfecting the play of the game! But, then, I am not involved in the play of the game, nor am I involved with any team or official. Just strictlly from a fan who has been around the block, so to speak, and was fortunate to play, coach, and officiate this wonderful sport in Europe/Asia/and USA. B-ball is a wonderful sport and should have those involved doing their best to keep the integrity of the game left on the floor for the players to decide who is the better team on any given night.

Ryan Zimmerman 4 years, 5 months ago

Side note, but I'd rather hear Gurley do color commentary with himself then listen to Fraschilla and Musburger again.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 5 months ago

The dish shot kraps overnight in the wind so not only did I not see the 2nd half, I didn't get the replay either. But I did catch some of the so called "experts"-Niel Dougherty, Katz, Frank Martin today. My heavens, you should've heard them cry a friggin river over the blown call at the end of regulation. Especially EX coach Dougherty. The one comment that really made me laugh was when he said "coaches get fired over bad calls like that." Yeah right. That & losing 15-20 other games a season because all refs are bad. Whata lame shirt. That's why he's still an EX coach. Also was pretty funny when he said about the ref(s) "Are you from Topeka or something?" Wish like heck one of the others would have said "No, Lawrence!" And the one thing no one said that they should've was that EJ flat a$$ burned down the building, & without that, no conversation would have even taken place. That game would have had me up half the night if I watched it instead of listened to Davis & Gurley. Sounded like Davis was about to pass out several times. Might have been me if the dang dish had worked. LOL! Bring on them moonshinin' McCoys boys, we uns' ready to steal their mules, whiskey, & women, then run the rest outta town. RCJH and they mean business!

KansasComet 4 years, 5 months ago

Last night, when the chips were down Elijah Johnson "Out Iowa Stated, Iowa State!" He beat them at their own game, it was amazing!

Stop_the_Madness 4 years, 5 months ago

Great game! With 108 points scored it looked like a Roy Williams team out there. Of course we prefer the Bill Self results but it's good to know this team can hit the century make when they need it to win.

WisconsinJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

The thing that most boggles my mind, the thing that sets that performance apart from anything I have ever seen, was that, not only did he score 30 after halftime, as everyone including ESPN is touting; but that he scored 27, yes twenty-seven, points in the final 6:03 + Over Time. That's just 11 minutes! He had 12 points total, with 6:04 to play in the game, and ends up with 39. I have NEVER seen that kind of single-handed dominance at the end of a game, at any level, by any player.

WisconsinJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

As an aside, looks to me like redbull gave jaybate wings.

Micky Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

EJ's performance in the final 11 minutes is something that will not be seen for a very long time in college basketball. Think about that. 27 points by one player in 11 minutes. That's 100 points per game people. That was one of the top 10 greatest performances of all time in all of basketball.

JayhawkRock78 4 years, 5 months ago

Davenwk, Great post from someone who has been around the block. From what I read in these posts, there is a lot of knowledge about KU and the game of basketball. I believe there are a few former ku bBall players posting here too.

I was fortunate to be on several hall of fame teams in another sport. Nobody cares much about ku sports outside of KU bBall which is just fine but I sweat and bled for the crimson and blue and will always love KU with all my heart, and I am damn fine proud what we all have in KU tradition.

WisconsinJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Say, aren't you Lindsay Mason, former Kansas Jayhawk, Oakland Raider and San Fransisco 49er? I'd recognize you anywhere! 0

davehawkSWK 4 years, 5 months ago

JayhawkRock78 Thanks for the response. I, too, am a die-hard KU fan who does bleed little dancing J-Hawks when I get a cut! I have followed all KU sports for too many years to keep count. I can tell you that I was as the Kansas state track meet when Jim Ryan broke the mile record, I did not run against him as I was in a different division. Was happy when he decided on KU. I was in the Philippines when KU and Penn St. played in the Orange Bowl game and lost $5 due to 12 men on the field. I follow ALL KU sports regardless of the sport or gender. I do not root for one team in football and then KU in basketball as some do. I appreciate what KU gives to the world in great sports aind sportsmanship. If I had my way my house would be decorated in all KU. However, I have a wife that thinks I have way too many items now so I am relegated to the basement and my "beer" shed in my yard. It does define KU with signs, posters, and any other item I can latch on to. I am looking forward to the upcoming years in KU sports and, again, just appreciate what KU does! My aunt received her Law Degree from KU in 1953 and as a little pipsqueak fell in love with her KU paperweights. This has led to a very wonderful past 60 years of KU sports.

WisconsinJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Lash 4 years, 5 months ago

Fran way too much about about the foul/or no foul. He should be fined or banned by the NCAA. Any investigation shouldn't be a disgrace to the programs involved. It's not KU's fault the NCAA officials suck....