Friday, February 15, 2013

Mario Chalmers reflects as KU jersey retirement nears

Kansas guard Mario Chalmers elevates for a three-pointer in the remaining seconds of regulation Monday, April 7, 2008 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Chalmers swished the three to send the game into overtime.

One of the loudest ovations on game day in Allen Fieldhouse the past five seasons has taken place prior to pre-game player introductions when a replay of the biggest shot in Kansas University basketball history is displayed on the center videoboard.

Tape of Mario Chalmers’ overtime-inducing three-pointer against Memphis in the 2008 NCAA title game leads to an ear-splitting ovation each and every time.

“I’ve seen it a couple times. It is one of the most amazing things I’ve seen before,” said Miami Heat combo guard Chalmers, who has attended just a handful of KU games — usually over NBA All-Star break — the past five campaigns.

“I’m not surprised,” he added of the reaction to the shot that helps fire-up the current Jayhawks and maybe rattle the opposition. “That shot helped bring a championship to the program. I’m sure people are going to appreciate that for a long time.”

The appreciation will never be greater than Saturday, when Chalmers’ jersey No. 15 will be hung in the south rafters of the fieldhouse at halftime of the 8 p.m., KU-Texas game. Chalmers becomes the first player off the 2008 title team to be so honored, thanks in large part to the shot, as well as his being named Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four.

“It means a lot to me,” said Chalmers, who will arrive in Lawrence tonight and will be one of several former KU players in the NBA in the stands Saturday. Marcus and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson and Nick Collison all have said they’ll attend.

“Being up in the rafters with guys like Paul Pierce, Drew Gooden, Wilt Chamberlain, it’s a great accomplishment.”

In a preview of his halftime speech, he’d like to thank, “all of my teammates, coaching staff,” he said. “You never forget your college experience. Those were three of the best years of my life. I made some close friends there. I just really became a man at that school.”

KU coach Bill Self, who will attend a reception for Chalmers tonight, said: “I am fired up for him. Mario is so loved here. I think he’s as liked or loved as anybody who has played here. Mario is such a unique guy. He was as ornery as we had, but he smiled and had that boyish grin. He was the perfect guy to coach because he loved the moment and the competition and still yet he smiled the whole time.”

Self has deemed Chalmers the most clutch player he’s coached.

“Absolutely. I would put Sherron (Collins) probably second,” Self said.

Also, Chalmers is, “the best stealer of the ball I’ve ever seen in my life. He anticipated as well as anybody.”

Chalmers is one of the few players to have won a state title in high school (Bartlett High, Anchorage), an NCAA title (KU in ‘08) and NBA championship (Miami Heat, 2012).

“It’s pretty good to say you have won on every level,” said Chalmers, who recently hit a Miami Heat-record 10 threes in a game. “They label you as a winner.”

Asked to which is the better feeling, being a starter on an NBA titlist or college champ, he said: “That’s a tough one. I would have to say maybe the NBA team because you are doing it at the highest level.”

As far as Saturday’s halftime speech, it figures to be short but sweet.

“I don’t know yet, I am still trying to get that together. This is all new to me so I got to come up with some stuff,” Chalmers said.

He said he definitely respects the jerseys that have been hung before his No. 15.

“When I saw them at my first Late Night (2004), I recognized a lot of them,” Chalmers said. “I was a big basketball fan growing up. I watched college basketball all the time because I knew I wanted to be there one day.”

“My wife (Cindy) was talking to me last night and she was saying ‘You know what? We’re going to win the league. We can still win the league (despite losing three of the past four).’ And I said, ‘I know babe, we can do this. But if we don’t, what would happen?’ She said, ‘I don’t know, I don’t know, I can’t remember (not winning title),’” Bill Self said, smiling.

“It’s one of those things that everybody around here is judged on the postseason. Don’t you guys (media) feel like the league titles, in past years, take second place to everything else? We won eight in a row but it’s ‘What have you done for me in the postseason?’ We understand that. But now that we’re tied for first, it’s like the sky is falling if you don’t win the league. Later on, you guys (media) are going to say it didn’t really matter as much. But it matters to our players and it matters to our staff and I know it matters to the fans, too. Certainly, we care so much about it. We’ve obviously made an emphasis of it to be the best in our league for a long time, or the guys wouldn’t have experienced as much success as they have. But I’m not putting pressure on the guys to win the league, I’m putting pressure on our guys to get better.”

Romantic dinner?: Self planned a Valentine’s Day night on the town with his wife, Cindy. “I imagine there are more romantics out there than me,” Self cracked. “We’ll go to dinner. There’s a band playing in town my daughter and daughter’s boyfriend are trying to get us to go to tonight and see. Who knows? We may really live it up tonight on Valentine’s Day.”

Selden honored: KU signee Wayne Selden, a 6-5 guard from Tilton (N.H.) School, will play for the East team in the McDonald’s All-American Game on April 3 in Chicago’s United Center. No other KU signee made the game.

Randle to visit this weekend: Julius Randle, who will make his official recruiting visit to KU this weekend, didn’t make the McDonald’s game because he’s missed most of the season because of injury. Randle, a 6-9 forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas and the No. 2-rated player in the Class of 2013, has a final list of KU, Kentucky, Texas, Florida, N.C. State and Oklahoma. His mom, Carolyn Kyles, told USA Today that Julius will return to action tonight on Prestonwood’s Senior Night. He fractured his foot during the second game of the season. ... Anton Beard, a 5-10 junior point guard from Little Rock, Ark., who had been committed to Missouri, reopened his recruitment Thursday. He has a list of MU, KU, Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, LSU and Michigan.

Comments

BainDread 1 year, 10 months ago

At the end, as my life flashes before my eyes, I am certain that the last thing I see will be "The Shot". Thanks for the memories, Mr. Chalmers.

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

Now that is what I call a "Die-Hard" KU Fan!

yates33333 1 year, 10 months ago

Ha! Ha! I misread his name as "BrainDead," which I suppose he wanted. So the flash has already occurred.

kufaninmo 1 year, 10 months ago

Yippee Ki Yay mother Russia he's a die hard ku fan

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Damn, now you made me I feel guilty about thinking of my wonderful Mom and Dad at the end. Maybe if I compromise and have my Dad making Sherron's incredible pass and Mom taking Mario's incredible shot......

BainDread,

You easily have one of the five best aliases in the community. But I worry that younger board rats do not recall Jim Bain. Would you take the time to post a detailed recollection of the horrors of Jim Bain, so that they will get to enjoy your alias as much as I do?

sekjayhawkfan 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey Gary, do you know if kusports.com or kuathletics.com plan to post Mario's halftime ceremony so those of us not fortunate enough to be among the lucky 16,300 on Saturday will be able to at least "see" it --- since we can't "experience" it?!

BainDread 1 year, 10 months ago

JB8, you are revealing the lower limit of your age range. For you young-uns...

BainDread: Noun. An emotional phenomenon from the 1970s and 1980s characterized by a feeling of impending doom that would sweep through Allen Fieldhouse when a particular bald, chinless, Missouri-born zebra trotted onto the court at the start of a University of Kansas basketball game.

Detailed recollections from the 70s and 80s are few, and mostly limited to happy ones such as a certain basketball tournament in the Spring of 1988.

Jayhawk fans are #1 at most things, but in regard to BainDread, Iowa Hawkeye fans probably had them beat.

robertson4ku 1 year, 10 months ago

I remember Jim Bain! I been trying to forget him for years. Every KU game that no good son of a bleep would officiate, you knew we were going to get the shaft. It was like playin 5 against 6!

FL_Jhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I have forgotten so much on my 5 years at KU in the 70's, but Jim Bain is one name I will never forget. I never paid much attention to official's names, but it didn't take long to remember the name Jim Bain. Argh. Worst official ever.

Cmill1221 1 year, 10 months ago

I love that you can see Julian Wright in the front row looking up at the ball in that picture. That picture will forever be apart of KU history. It's really amazing that whenever KU basketball history is talked about that moment will come up. And for the next 75 remaining years of my life I will need to deal with the fact that I was watching from a UNLV dorm room. :-(

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Julian Wright wasn't on that '08 team. That's Darnell Jackson.

Kevin Crook 1 year, 10 months ago

He's talking about in the crowd. White shirt just to the left of the basket in the picture.

FlyingPliers 1 year, 10 months ago

Look in the crowd, smart guy. To the left of the basket.
Julian Emil-Jamaal Wright.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

I could be wrong, but I think I see Waldo, too.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

I always wondered how Ju Ju got such an incredible seat location and how he felt that he wasn't out there with his guys!!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

In the book Jesse wrote about the Jayhawks, the interview with Julian revealed it was a split second decision to go. He had practice the next morning at like 8AM, and he had to get back there. But after the win, he hung around quite a while having some fun, and wandered back into New Orleans from the Airport just as practice started.

mejayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

There is NO amount of money that would make me take Julian's seat, rather than being on the court with the rest of my team. And every time I see that photo, that's the expression I imagine I'm reading on his face.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Who's the guy in the red shirt next to him?

bharms88 1 year, 10 months ago

I think it is Brennan Bechard. Someone correct me if that is wrong...

Tyler Fox 1 year, 10 months ago

That's correct, then it's Brad Witherspoon in blue (a former walk on) and the team ortho doc in the black. On the other side (his left, our right) the guy in the red is Chase Buford.

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

This is a well deserved honor for Mario Chalmers. Hopefully the first of many from the Coach Bill Self era. My thoughts are when Randle sees this ceremony, if that does not convince him to commit to KU, I don't know what will? Then again, maybe thumping Texas will help?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, but I think a TON of us thought we had Muhammad with that comeback win over Mizzou last year in our last EVER conference home gainst against them too so..... You never know.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Listen up, Ben !

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Keep banging that drum, nuleaf, but BenMac has already given us two years. I can't express the joy that a St.Louis kid I've known about since he was in seventh grade, actually picked Kansas against all odds and has excelled beyond expectations. I am afraid Noel's injury clinched the deal of early departure in about every elite freshman and sophomore's minds in America!!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Dang it Oak - don't squash my dreams! I KNOW he's gone, but I can still wish for the impossible.

Haven't you guys read?

Ben announced he is staying.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Bless you jaybate. Thanks for playing along !!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

The goal here is to create a mass illusion that then fools Ben too. :-)

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 10 months ago

Is Bill doubting their chances of winning, or just being Bill?

Did anyone run into the Self crew last night? ;)

Psyched for Mario - glad you will join the legends.

If College Game Day, the retirement of Mario's jersey, all the ex-players returning, and all the other events don't win over Randle - nothing will.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 10 months ago

Let's add in, beating Texas, also. remember, he is from Texas, and they are o his list of finalists! there is nothing they would like more, than to ruin our celebration, with Randle right there in the stands, at our house. We have got to send a message, and whip Texas ass, and I mean, convincingly! And wouldn't it be nice, to get both Randle and Wiggins. Dream the perfect dream, with me!!! lilllll

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

If they both wanted to commit someone else would have to be released from scholarship. I would guess that would have to be F. Mason.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Wrong, Justin Wesley goes back to walk on status if KU managed to land both.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 10 months ago

just saw your posts Alberg & texashawk10. after I posted my reply, of course. lol anyway, thanks for the updates about Peters (who I reallly wish we had this year and Wesley going back to being a walk on.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 10 months ago

there are other ways to get scholarships without taking one away from someone, but I can't think, right now, of how they do it, but I know it can be done. Also, we need Mason, because he is a PG! I thought we had 2 scholarships left, but I ghee maybe I miscalculated that. Good responses, folks. I love great Hawk fans!

ParisHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Funny way to put it: "released from scholarship", as if it were prison.

KU can't pull Mason's scholarship: KU is committed for one year.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Um, aren't they already up against it?

I think the whole reason it was thought that we could still add ONE was because of the thought that McLemore was gone.

I thought when we got Embiid that was ALREADY going to have to invoke Wesley going off scholarship UNLESS Ben left.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

khuff, here's scholarship situation. KU officially has 5 scholarships currently open for 2013 and those 5 come from Elijah Johnson, Jeff Withey, Travis Releford, Kevin Young, and Zach Peters. Those 5 scholarships have already been committed to Wayne Selden, Joel Embiid, Brannen Greene, Connor Frankamp, and Frank Mason. When Ben McLemore declares for the draft, that will open up scholarship #6 for 2013 and if KU ends up signing a 7th player in the class, the 7th scholarship will come from Justin Wesley going back to walk on status.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

It's also possible that KU has an unused scholarship if Self misses out on Randle and Wiggins which is very possible. If that happens, I would guess the open scholarship goes to Niko Roberts or Christian Garrett and I would guess Niko Roberts since he will be a senior next year.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Don'r forget..Keith Langford will spot up for Justin's senior year if needed and also, the Zach Peters schollie is also avaialble, so no one from the '13 recruiting class will be dropped.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Ok, yeah I think I forgot about the Z.Peters scholarship.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Sherron needs to find his way there and Mario needs to call him out for setting him up too.

BainDread 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes! And if it hadn't been for "The Steal" (and 3), there wouldn't have been "The Shot".

Chuck Stones 1 year, 10 months ago

That doesn't get enough credit. That was an incredible play.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 10 months ago

I guess guys like B. Rush, Shady, Darnell, etc are playing elsewhere this Saturday?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

I was going to say - I think the only one who has an excuse not to be there is Pierce - he made the ASG as a reserve, right?

Maybe some who could be plaing over in Europe....I think that might apply to D. Jackson, Kaun, Ru. Robinson & Sherron actually.

It's funny of the ones they said were returning along w/ Mario - Tho. Robinson, Morrii & N. Collison - I don't think a single one actually played w/ Mario!!!! :)

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

Pierce did not make the All Star game because people are fickle, who-is-the-next-big-thing voters.

For some reason, the coach of the East replaced Rajon Rondo with [expletive] Brook Lopez, making him the THIRD center on the team instead of taking Pierce, who's had two triple-doubles and led his team to something like 8-1 since Rondo went down. Plus, there's the whole fact that when the reserves originally came out, Luol Deng and Paul George were taken ahead of Pierce, in spite of the fact that their Player Efficiency Ratings are 14.91 and 17.38, respectively, compared to Pierce's 18.27. Deng had no business being an All Star.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow! That's bullcrap. So, any chance we can get Pierce in the building too - might help Randle too. :) lol - I mean he's no Durant but.....has UK, N.C.State or UF had a more productive pro in Julius's lifetime?

I mean I guess J.Noah's an All Star - so UF has that going for them....Horford too? Hadn't paid attention.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm guessing most of the KU guys that are in the NBA that aren't going to be there have families now and want to take the few days off to just rest and relax with their families. Rush is rehabbing his torn ACL so he may not want to travel right now.

Marchphog, it's very possible that Paul Pierce was asked if he wanted to replace Rondo and he declined. Pierce getting up there in NBA age and may just want to take the weekend off to rest for the stretch run. We don't know how many people were asked to replace Rondo before Lopez was announced so I'm not going to get upset about it.

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

Based on what I know about Pierce's competitiveness, I highly doubt that is the case. I'm also pretty sure he made some comments about getting snubbed. Outside of the 2006-07 year where he missed a ton of time due to injury (and the Celtics tanking to get Durant or Oden), he's been in each of the last 10 AS games.

And I think it's reasonable to believe that his sudden rash of dominant play has something to do with being left off a team that he deserved to be on.

edmondjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I love that picture also...no way does it look like he makes that shot from that angle....looks like it's gonna miss way right...Glad for Rio also that he just keeps getting better and better in the league...Well deserved!!!

tis4tim 1 year, 10 months ago

I've always suspected Mario was a vampire. The headline finally puts that rumor to rest.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Does this mean Rio is Anne Rice-ing that trey?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Picture also shows that it was pretty good D played on him - not just some wide open "gift" shot.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Still weird to think of that team and there only be ONE player who's starting in the NBA and even he gets relieved quite a bit - Mario.

Arthur - first frontcourt reserve for the Grizzlies.

B.Rush - out for the season; but was playing behind rookie H.Barnes at SF for the Warriors before he did get hurt.

And Aldrich - only in for "mop up" time for the Rockets

Those four are it. D.Jackson's had some short trial stints but I think isn't with a team now.

I'm not sure Kaun even wanted in the NBA - think he wanted to play back in Russia anyway.

Sherron couldn't stick.

I think Ru. Robinson's been overseas.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

A classic case of the sum is greater than the parts!!

tis4tim 1 year, 10 months ago

Not much different for Memphis.

D. Rose is a superstar, but has missed the whole season recovering from knee surgery.

Chris Douglas-Roberts is still meandering about the league, currently with Dallas getting about 11 min./game. He had a solid season for Milwaukee two years ago, but got some eye injury and has been languishing ever since.

Joey Dorsey, Robert Dozier and Antonio Anderson are, as far as I know, out of the league at this point.

As Oak said, the sum is greater than the parts, which goes to show the amazing things that can happen when players play as a team. It's a simple concept to understand, but tough to fully realize.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Cole gets more than mop up minutes for the Rockets now, but early on he did have quite a few DNP's. I think there could be a legitimate argument for Sasha Kaun being the best pro off that title team because he's the one guy off that team that played in the Olympics this past summer.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Curious if Wilde & Sudeikis will make it for this game - heard how they'd gotten engaged a month ago - hope that makes Olivia a Jayhawk fan for life now. :)

I think their only trip this year was for the American game.

The year before they didn't make it to AFH & went to the Davidson game they lost at Sprint Center, right?

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

No, they've been to more than one game this year, I'm certain of it.

Michael Auchard 1 year, 10 months ago

Paul Rudd's been working on Tina Fey, too. I've seen them sporting KU gear together recently.

Tina, baby,

Paradox us all.

Come to the game dressed as a male pimp named Andre!

might get confused and think Sarah Palin was at the game!!! :) LOL

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

I suppose they could be there, SNL is replaying last week's episode tomorrow night. Jason and Olivia were at an AFH game last year because that was their first public appearance together and everyone found they were dating.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"Some Ways You Know a Game Is Being Fit into a Broadcast Window"

~Refs start winking at Jay Bilas and saying, "The supervisors of officials now say its okay not to call use of lethal force above the waist."

~Refs wearing body armor and packing heat keep asking, "How much time do we have to trim to slot this baby?"

~The game is not stopped to clean up the teeth in both lanes.

~Spleen ruptures are treated as incidental contact.

~Announcers other than Bilas call concussions "hair mussers."

~Refs wearing Ostrich Nikes stick heads in buckets of sand every other trip down the floor.

~No fouls called for less than three units of blood loss.

~Director keeps shouting into Jay Bilas' ear piece, "STFU about fouling. We need to get to Sports Center by 5."

~Supervisor's of officials discovers a horse's head in his bed, then sends out email to officials stating, "Big Vinnie wants scheduling elegance again."

~Plasma drips set up behind home and away benches, as referees out on the floor put on blindfolds.

~Navy SEAL teams infiltrate play for combat simulation.

~US military surgeons preparing for the Iran War come to the game in scrubs to practice treating the XTReme Fouling victims.

~Bayhawkaholic swears, "TV executives only love human interest stories and PSAs. All violent content attributable to the People. Bad, bad, bad, bad, evil people. TV executives good. People bad!"

~BigManU believes refs "fitting games in the window" is all a conspiracy theory hatched by Freemasons and a Julia Child doppelgänger still embeded on the Food Channel.

~jaybate, targeted by a HAARP ray bounced off the excited ionosphere, shouts, "This is the best refereeing I have ever seen. This is the best refereeing I have ever seen. This is the best refereeing I have ever seen."

(Note: all fiction, of course. No malice.)

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

You have so much more vast knowledge than me. I can't keep up sometimes. :) Well, I definitely can't keep up today. What the hell are you talking about? LOL!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh, yesterday Blown Jay posted that Jay Bilas had reputedly indicated that supervisors of officials were some how influencing officials to tailor foul calling to keep games on schedule and that this was reputedly some kind of driver of fouling and roughness in the game. So: because I've been hypothesizing that referees inconsistent foul calling might have something to do with keeping games in broadcast windows, I've been trying to do some comedy about it. Say, if Bilas really said this, what do you think about it?

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

"The Shot"! One of the Top 3 shots in NCAA history and IMO it is #2 all-time, but as a Jayhawk Fan...It will always be a #1.

For those wondering, I think Keith Smart's in 1987 gets the top spot.

tis4tim 1 year, 10 months ago

Lorenzo Charles' dunk to beat Phi Slamma Jamma in 1983 has to be up there.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed! Just not higher than Chalmers or Smart.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Nope, that f-----g Christian Laettner turn around jumper!! Damn I wish there had been a way both those teams would have lost!!!!!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

In a parallel dimension, Oak.

I went there last night compliments of some serious frequent flyer mileage cash in.

I saw it.

It was a destination basketball resort.

Four Seasons or something.

You go there and Wilt took the last shot in '57 and KU won.

Jo Jo's foot was ruled in bounds.

UK's team last year was found to be paid more than the OKC Thunder and disqualified right after KU played them with everyone healthy and beat them by ten.

And the petit dejeuner is complimentary.

And every woman you ever chatted up hoping to bed is topless at pool side without a date.

Frommer's gives the place 5 stars.

I have to agree.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder how many other buzzer beaters there has been to get a team to the final four? Probably quite a few over the length of the tourney, but they don't get publicized like Laettners.

Could've even taken a different Dukie making it....but Laettner?!?!?!? :(

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't know if I could have taken Hurley making it. I really despised him as well.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Without doubt the Jo Jo White shot disqualified by the Illuminati. :-)

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

Funny story on Smart's shot. A few years back one of my students here in Baton Rouge told me his uncle was an NBA coach. I said really who? He said Keith Smart. I was pretty incredulous when he said that. I alluded to his shot, he didn't know what I was talking about! His uncle was Keith Smart (I checked this out with his mom) and the kid didn't know anything him making that shot!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

How could I, I was hoping he could get me some free court side tickets for when the Bulls and Captain Kirk came to town!

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm curious about that pregame video. Is the entire sequence shown, including Sherron's fabulous pass? I've always felt that THE PASS did not receive full credit in terms of popular esteem and praise for completion of THE SHOT.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

And Sherron was off balance as he got the pass to him I want to say.

John Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

Off balance??? Hell, he was being hammered into the floor by a belated foul attempt. That's why you never see the whole sequence on replays. Just be thankful the foul wasn't called.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Gary, you might rewrite that LEAGUE STANDINGS paragraph. No need to offer Okie State some vitriolic bulletin board material.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh Lord...please don't start this argument again!! :)

slayr,

I give. What are you referring to?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you joking? Normally, I can read your posts and if not understand metaphor, at least understand the meaning via context and conjecture.

I'll simply state my reply to slayr here.

Of course COLLINS, 4 belongs in the rafters of AFH! I might even come back to Kansas for that day.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Ah, no, not joking. Just a little dense today.

Sherron's jersey being hung make sense.

I was skimming fast and thought slayr was referring to Rio Adams, not Chalmers.

Silly me.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

That's where I was too ! An apostrophe would have cleared that up !

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Sherron will be up there in a couple of years, he was a consensus 1st team All-American as a senior. Not to start the debate of whether or not one agrees with the guidelines for getting a jersey retired, but the other names that will be going up at some point are Cole Aldrich, Brandon Rush, and Thomas Robinson. I'm kind of surprised Brandon's didn't get retired sometime this year since he's out for the year with an ACL injury and it's been 5 years just like Chalmers. I guess they could do it next year at some point so they don't retire more than one jersey a year.

WETSUhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Agree, the key - opened the door for THE SHOT

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Yep..I thought we settled this argument months ago, Sherron belongs...period!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

I will be at the game on Saturday and for those of you who haven't been to Allen in recent years, let me give you some tips.

1] The Booth Hall of Fame almost makes you cry with pride as you walk through it.

2] The Hall Walk of Fame under the west seats, I think, overwhelm you with an incredible array of photos.....some even life size.[God, Wilt was huge}

3] The Dr. James Naismith Court...enough said.

4] The student sections....just as crazy as the Dookies but our coeds are a hell of a lot prettier.

5] An afternoon game with the sun shining through the windows. No other place like it on this planet.

6] The noise...you literally can yell at the top of your lungs at the person 12" away on your right or left and they can't hear a word you say...and this is in the alumni section!!

7] The Nachos and the Lime-Aide...best concessions in the universe.

8] Oh yeah, the team is pretty good too!! :)

Kansas 81 - Texas 62

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Isn't it interesting the impact of that sunlight on person's memories?

Have any architects in any of the new arenas seized on this use of light and reintroduced it.

One of the horrible things about so many arenas old and new is their shutting out of the outside world.

So many arenas are like Big Pharma manufacturing facilities crossed with Maginot Line Bunkers. Sterile brutalism.

When are archies going to let the sun shine in to basketball arenas again?

Or are they doing it and I just haven't been to them yet?

FWIW, my favorites in the Field House are the old photos that have hung in the field house since my childhood and wing span exhibit.

I also like the artist's rendering I have seen of the crypt 7 feet under center court where the holy grail of college basketball entombed and guarded by 100, but, mercifully, I have not seen it yet.

Phoghorn 1 year, 10 months ago

Jaybate. Mizzou Arena has some small windows at the top, but nothing like AFH. I think maybe Ford Field and Lucas Oil Stadium do as well.

I really do not like these modern, overly sanitized arenas. No character. We laugh at the Octagon of Doom, but it has a better atmosphere than many new venues. I am sure you have seen some games in Kemper Arena (yes, I call it a new venue, even though it looks dated). Big open space with poor sight lines. Municipal Auditorium has aged way more gracefully than that aforementioned dump in the West Bottoms.

New arenas and auditoriums (or auditoria for you grammar freaks), place many of the seats WAAAY back from the court or stage. This even includes many "good seats" not just nosebleed section seats. A lot of it has to do with fire codes requiring wider aisles between both sections and rows.

I am in no way advocating the replacement of AFH, but if some day it should be needed (ie tornado, God forbid), we darn well better not build some ugly concrete monstrosity. It better be something nice, that just screams KU tradition.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

SWISH, even though you schooled me on Kemper. Until your post, I was a fan of Kemper as an important architectural land mark of minimalism, but your recall of poor sight lines has caused me to back away from it some. Thanks for the take.

Phoghorn 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks for the feedback, and the SWISH! I think your posts cause us all to re-evaluate things.

Another thing I noticed about many modern arenas is the poor acoustics. Granted, I know they are not meant to be concert halls, but it is nice when you can actually hear the band like you can in AFH.

Kemper did, in fact, break some molds. The external roof trusses are an interesting feature. I understand that they might be re-used somewhere if Kemper is demolished. Their re-use would be pretty neat.

Thanks for the update.

I wrote about re-using the trusses by floating them up to Lawrence and building an arena with them in Lawrence, so that KU and Lawerence could one day be the location for both a Kansas City market NBA team and a World Invitational Basketball Championship. Ah, would that that would happen before I die.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, there are definitely games I'll never forget having seen there.

I remember getting the Big 8 Champs shirt in our last game there in the '91/'92 season - won despite Anthony Peeler getting something like 44 pts. for Mizzou.

I'll never forget the game where Ostertag was able to hold "Big Country" Bryant Reeves scoreless....in that same game Randy Rutherford scored 45.....but we still won.

I remember the game against UCLA - I think the year after they won the championship and we were down something like 15 at the half....a lot of people were cursing at Toby Bailey, but the biggest one was the barrage at the refs as they left for haltime out the South End. Probably the MOST I'd seen us mad at a group of officials.....at least in the 6 or 7 years I saw games there. Proceed to have one of the most lopsided halfs ever & outscore them by 34 in the 2nd half to win by 19!!!!!!

Despite that some random game one of those years against OU when we went on just some arbitrary 12-2 run was the LOUDEST i can ever remember it being.

I remember a huge number of people laughing in the section I was at one time when I yelled out, "Hey, Sutherland. Go back to the tough streets of South Dakota." Easily one of the MOST hated in-conference players we've ever had - "dirty" Jason Sutherland of MIzzou - - - OSU & ISU, AT LEAST hated him too.

I remember the VERY LAST game I ever got to see there. I think it MIGHT HAVE ended up being Simien's last game back in '03. Home win over Colorado. Only time my wife's been able to see a game there.

I remember in the first few years getting seats with my schol hall and usually being in the first 10-12 rows behind the North ends basket. I remember yelling, "Roy! Roy! Roy! Roy!". I remember once getting a shirt that he threw up only to give it to someone from my schol hall who claimed to have caught at the same time as me. Gave it up as he was a more long-standing KU fan - I grew up in St. Louis.

Learned to DESPISE the Tigers. Learned, "Sit down, Norm! Sit down, Norm!" :) One time he played with us and I think the chant went on for a good 1 1/2 mins.!!! :)

Food-wise - I remember personal pan Pizza Hut pizzas almost every time.

I remember NO video board back when I was there. They did have some animated ligthed up images. I remember us going with a high-pitched, "Foul!"

I even remember my first official game ever. I think we won by like 50+ or something over Maryland-Baltimore County. Back then I think they actually WERE Div. I. I don't even think they are now.

Can't believe I didn't hearken back to J.Vaughn's game-tying or winning - I forget - late 3 at home over Indiana that I purposely stayed around for on a Mon. night right before winter break....I'd already been done w/ Finals. Me and two others - same thing.....carpooled and drove them back to St. Louis that Tue. after the gm.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

I work with one of those (former) duke coeds, I'm gonna show her what you wrote :)

mejayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Rewatched that 08 Championship dvd a couple of times during "the slump" and it helped. It really really helped. And how spoiled are we? We lose three games in a row and think the sky is falling. Dangitt, we should win the ncaa Championship every year. Right? Thanks Mario

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

This would be okay with me, I know that.

dylans 1 year, 10 months ago

Hopefully the crowd is at its best and Randle makes the decision we all want to hear.

Michael Auchard 1 year, 10 months ago

Not sure if anyone here has noted this as well in the comments, but Randle is NOT officially out of the McD's game. The organization released a statement saying that if he plays amazing basketball to finish out the season, once completely healthy, he will be added to a roster. This is not unprecedented, as the organization did something similar in both '1979 and '80. Got this info off of the kentuckysports.com. Let's get this guy and potentially double up our Cheeseburger Game players.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

If Randle doesn't "man-up," strap on a boot, and "play through" this ankle injury at the Micky D, I just don't see how Self can risk a scholie on him.

What's he gonna do when a real injury, like a knee, or spinal paralysis, comes up?

Jayhawks play through.

:-)

KU_alum_2001 1 year, 10 months ago

As I said in my 'Seldon - McDonalds' post, I think it's a long-shot that we get either Wiggins or Randle (especially Randle) but how amazing would it be if we got both. Could you imagine that team next year? Yes, I realize that what I'm doing right now is about the same as envisioning what I'd do if I won ther lottery but still, it's fun to dream.

And before anyone says we only have one scholarship to offer, that's clearly open to modification if both those guys were to choose to attend. It's happened before and would happen again. It's a shame they're not both coming together this weekend. Oh well.

Like I said, though, I don't think we have any real shot at Randle and think it's small on Wiggins but I hope you fans that can attend the game show them an incredible experience, not that it's ever NOT an incredible experience.

Fingers crossed we can convince at least one of them to dawn the crimson and blue, especially now that BMac has proven that superstars can exist in Self's system. Rock Chalk!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

I never realized that Memphis was an adidas school.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 10 months ago

"League standings: KU, which has won eight straight Big 12 regular-season titles, will enter Saturday’s game tied for first with Kansas State."

• Probably should add Oklahoma State to that. It's a 3-way tie.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"jaybate Intelligence Estimate: Tayhoss"

Part 1

Myck Kabongo is back and KU will wish he weren't.

Rick "Granny" Barnes mixed a drink called a Longhorn Box Car that packed some punch, but the lost the straw to stir it.

When KU played Tayhoss last, the drink was unstirred. KU's shaky point guards could actually acquit themselves satisfactorily against Tayhoss then.

But then was that and now is this: Myck is a swizzle stick that stirs.

Myck is a point guard Self wanted bad; that bodes poorly for KU.

Self may have trouble signing top point guards, and he may play them out of position when he gets them, but he sure as heck seems to know them when he sees them.

A most recent case in point was 6-4 225 lb Marcus Smart of Okie State. Smart beat down our guards with brute force. Self wanted him baaaaaaad.

Now 6-2 180 lb Myck Kabongo may not use brute force on our guards, but he certainly has the kind of speed and deftness of distribution, and hand quickness to cause our current pair of water treaders--EJ and Dir--to be in danger of drowning.

This is going to be a great test of how far EJ's knee has progressed, and how far Dir has developed.

EJ with knees would choke Myck off. EJ with straps with blue bulls eye hubcaps where his knees used to be could have real trouble hanging with an angle changer like Kabongo.

Dir gave us hope with his guarding of McGruder, but I am not sanguine that his defense of McGruder proved anything more than Dir can do a very good job of up and under against a guy who's game hinges on coming off screens, not driving the paint and forcing help, as Kabongo appears to have been doing since coming down the birth canal.

Let's put it this way: if Dir can keep Myck from forcing help, then KU is gold at the point for two years and all the incomings might as well start thinking about backing him up, or asking to play the 2.

But something tell me that Dir is not going to be able to contain Myck on his own, much less lock him down.

And remember, 5-11 Dir gives up 3 full inches to Myck. Three inches, even six inches, are not a lot to give up to a guy that comes of screens, because you can up and under him.

But three inches to an angle changer, a jitterbug on caffeine, a snail darter on epinephrine, now that is tough for a guy to handle.

Part 2

Still, Coach Self's other choice is to go the committee route and add Travis Releford to those guarding Myck. But even Trav will find guarding this snail darter difficult.

But I suspect he will have to take a turn on Myck.

Ben could do some smothering, too, but Self has now made clear that keeping the jump in Ben's quads is paramount so that Ben can be counted on for accurate jump shooting.

So: its up to EJ, Dir and Trav.

And we need them to succeed, because Texas proved last time that when they mudded it up with KU, they could stay with KU even without Myck.

Texas was a win, but looking back, Texas Rick Barnes, long recognized as coach who teaches physical defense, probably was the first one to show how to alternate between hooking KU's skinnies and shoving them, across the board.

The hook on a skinny team is so effective. Look at Nick Krug's photos and you will see endless examples of KU players being hooked with opponent's arms. Strong players can hook skinny players and they don't even need to body check them.

The drill goes pretty much like this. Hook KU the first 5 minutes till the referees start swallowing their whistles, then body check, punch and shove till the refs decide to start using their whistles again to fit the game in the window. Then hook when they are blowing their whistles again. Then body check, etc. when the whistles get swallowed again. Repeat. And expect this pattern with the Kabongo lead Longhorns.

The game comes down to this: if Kabongo can force help, then KU is in deep doo-doo. Why? Because once our guys have to give help for a the point that has penetrated the paint, then Texas' greater muscle will begin to hook and shove Jeff Withey out of blocking position. Once he is out of blocking position, their FG% goes up to 45-50. At that point, they swagger and start beating up out guys on the defensive end. Our frequency of good looks tanks. They muscle Ben till he hears footsteps. They win.

Will KU continue to try to play free and run a good bit, as they did against KSU?

That depends.

KU could out rebound KSU and so KU transitioned early and often.

Why could KU out rebound KSU? Because KSU's 5 was 6-7 Gipson and their 4 was 6-7 Southwell. So: Gipson had to have double team help when the ball went to Jeff. When you double team the post, it is very difficult to release an extra guy early to get numbers in transition. So: KU could run much of the time.

Part 3

Ridley, Lammert, Holmes, Papapetrou, and Bond give them 5 guys 6-7 over over with 3 that are 6-9 or taller. And Prince Ibeh at 6-10 is another. Frankly, Texas has too much depth with too much muscle for KU to handle if Kabongo can force help in the paint.

Yep, this game comes down to whether KU can keep Myck from forcing help.

If KU keeps Myck out of the paint, then KU is long enough inside to guard Texas straight up, get its share of the boards and transition some.

But if Myck gets inside and forces help, then KU can't release and so there won't be easy transition baskets.

Texas in my opinion could become the best team in the Big 12 by the end of this month, despite the awful problems they have had this season.

The drink has been sitting there waiting for a straw.

Its got one now.

KU may get lucky and catch Myck and his bigs before they have worked the kinks out.

Watch out, KU.

I can't yet make a prediction on this one.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

has anyone heard if Homes will be healthy for the game tomorrow? He really hurt us last time.

WETSUhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

He played this week when they beat Iowa State.

One thing that Iowa State did that Texas had a lot of problems with was switching defense. As soon as Texas got a few shots against the zone, they would switch to m2m, then switch back to zone. Texas bigs looked confused against the zone.

WET,

Good spot. Self will resort to that if necessary. But I think foremost in Self's mind will be to try to scheme stopping Myck's penetration. The best job I have ever seen done regarding stopping a point guard's penetration was done by Ratso Izzo to Sherron. He simply doubled Sherron with his point guard and his four every time Sherron put his shoulder down and tried to go. The MSU 4 stopped him every time and stopped Sherron from passing it to his own 4.

I hope Self uses this technique Myck; then if that doesn't work, I hope he switches defenses a bit.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

Mario remains one of my all time favorites. Even before the shot, I absolutely loved his leadership, his ability to take the big shot, his outstanding defense, and his smile while playing.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

This is all well and good, but can we get an article about tomorrow's game?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Straying from the theme of the article, BUT how about BEST & WORST KU Basketball games you've attended.

For BEST I'll have to go with that 34 pt. turnaround mentioned above over UCLA at home.

For WORST I'll have to go with the loss to UNI in OKC! :( Yes, I was at that game.....at least I wasn't at the Bucknell one years earlier though.

***Now my memory only goes back MAINLY to the '90/'91 season - though I watched the '88 championhip & was rooting for KU over OU....BUT these would be the BEST & WORST that I could imagine.

BEST = EITHER the Champ. Gm. in San Antonio OR the remarkable HUGE turnaround against the UT team that had Durant & Augustin.

WORST = well, I'd give a list: Bucknell, Oral Roberts, VCU or TCU. Yeah, I don't think Bradley stings as bad since they won the next round as well. I think that was also the first season FULLY depending on the new guys - Chalmers, Ju. Wright, et al. The Bucknell loss was a team that was mostly Miles, Simien, Langford, etc.

UNI or Bradley would probably be in the 5th & 6th spots though after the 4 above.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Worst:

Jan 14, 2006

My wife's birthday is January 17th, so we thought this would be a fun way to celebrate. If my memory serves me, we were ranked #1 (#2?) at the time at they were - well being K-State they were probably unranked.
Yeah, we lost 59-55. Fun.

PenguinPete 1 year, 10 months ago

I was at that game too...first time I saw KU lose in Allen Fieldhouse. It was kind of a shock!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

Worst game I've ever seen, but I really don't think we were even close to #1 or #2 that year.

Chalmers, Wright, and Rush's first year, and we had lost a few. It was a Saturday game, and the following Monday night in Columbia Christian Moody missed 2 free throws with 0:00 on the clock ..when 1 free throw would have won the game.

But then we went on a freakin tear. It was awesome.

BainDread 1 year, 10 months ago

Best attended: KU-KSU, Feb. 22, 1975. Rick Suttle went off on the Mildcats and the Jayhawks won 91-53. This was back when it was a competitive series and the game was probably considered a tossup.

Worst attended: KU-UNI, NCAA 2nd Round at OKC in 2010. Okay, that's two of us that admit to being there.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, I kept waiting for a run and there was KIND OF a run at the end, but it materialized too late. That Farokhmanesh 3 near the end was a dagger.

I didn't attend it, but I would HAVE TO think that loss to Arizona in the tournament that year that we were a pretty heavy favorite - '96/'97, maybe? - would have to be one of the worst! I think that team only had 1 loss until then - in 2OT at Columbia.

dylans 1 year, 10 months ago

Worst : tAm LawIV

Best: #4 OSU in 2004-5

dahawk40 1 year, 10 months ago

Best has got to be the 19 point turnaround against Missery. T-Robs block brought down the house. Worst....UNI

jhawklifer 1 year, 10 months ago

Best: Either 155 v Kentucky in 1989 (just a kid, then, right next to the student section "GIVE ME SOME SKIN" as he high-fived our way to that epic rout) or Collison's 20/20 game with the Dickie V ovation.

Worst: Missouri beat us during Hinrich/Collison/Gooden's freshman year. Right? I know I was there, can remember Gooden dunking all over them, but I feel like we lost that one. The good news I guess is that of all the games I've seen at the Phog (mostly late 80s, early 90s growing up in Lawrence), I don't think I can actually recall any losses!

53jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

It wasn't 155 --- 12-09-1989 UK 95 @ KU 150

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

Worst - (6) Kansas loses to (8)Texas A&M in Allen Fieldhouse on 2/3/2007. Acie Law hits a guarded three over Rush to win the game and put A&M all alone at the top of the Big 12 standings.

Best - (13) Kansas defeats (3) Texas in Allen Fieldhouse on 1/27/2003. Texas was led by T.J. Ford at the time, but they couldn't overcome Collison's 24 and 23. Also known as the Dick Vitale standing ovation game. Little-known fact: KU trailed the bulk of the game, finally taking the lead late, 79-78 on a Nick Collison three of all things. One of my all-time favorite Jayhawks, to be sure.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Best game..the Kevin Durant Texas game whereby he owned the first half and we owned the second half. It was a day game and the sun magically came out at the start of the second half and we killed them. To this day, I swear Doc N. and Phog intervened. Worst game..losing to Norm Stewart's Tigers but the consolation prize was that Heinrich, Collison and Gooden were sitting in front of us as recruits behind the bench and my good buddy Wilbur Nether and I extolled the virtues of Kansas to each other for the entire game. I'm not sure if the players heard our conversation but I know their Moms did!!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

Nice question! I only saw KU lose three times in my three years on campus, KState, OU and then Duke, but boy did we erase the memories of those losses in the tourney a few years later. I don't remember any of the other 40 games or so I attended as being greater than the others. It was fun seeing us beat Louisville, the champs that year, in '86.

Now this is going to sound strange because I'm going to mention a loss as the best I attended, but I was very fortunate to attend last years national championship. I'd never been to any NCAA game, I'm not a person of any sort of means, but KU playing a little more than an hour away from my house, and the benefit of the buyers market for the championship game led me to splurge $100 for two tickets to some nosebleed seats in the dome. It was the first time I'd seen KU play in person since I graduated in '88. I've been a huge hoops fan all my life, never even dreamed that someday I'd be able to attend one of those games. I had a great time, except for the result of course, but I'll never forget it that's for sure!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I've been hearing this same garbage from KSU fans (and no one else) as well. I hope it's nothing more than purple hatred because, from what I've seen so far, Bill is a stand up man as well as a great coach.

dylans 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm with you nu. Just unsettling to hear.

Sally Presson 1 year, 10 months ago

Personally I think Julian was sick he jumped to the NBA too soon and missed out on the Championship. I was lucky to get to see the KState game, I do wish I was going to be at the Texas game and see the twins, Thomas, Mario get his jersey retired and hear his speech, the house will be rockin'. Allen Field House is the absolute best, the fans, the band, our video department. I can never get enough of watching those videos and hear the crowd roar. Saturday night will be awesome, and especially when we win!!!

Rock Chalk!!!

JayHok 1 year, 10 months ago

ESPN wrote about Travis Ford and his hope of stealing a Big 12 championship from Self. Here's a few reasons Self should take Ford's hope personally. 1. Ford played for Kentucky. 2. Ford played for Mizzou. 3. Ford recently called Self an unmentionable name multiple times while viewing tape of the OSU-KU game to the delight of the OSU players. Ford used his pen to thump the TV screen where Self stood again and again to the delight of his players. 4. Ford claims publically to respect Self. The only way Self can gain true respect from Ford is to beat him time and time again.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Bill Self is in a competitive business.

He plays it as decently as one can.

He helps those he can help.

He believes in professional curtesy among coaches and practices it.

He is loyal to his staff and to his mentors and to that subsegment of the coaching fraternity he feels kinship with

But Self has been so fantastically successful many coaches resent him.

All successful persons are resented as much as liked, even the kindest ones.

Human beings are often petty, jealous and vindictive.

Travis Ford is trying to climb out of the shadow that Bill casts. He is trying to prove that he is as good, or better than Self. He wants to beat Self so bad he can taste it.

Self wants to beat Travis Ford so bad he can taste it.

Two go in. One comes out.

Its the nature of the business.

I am sure Bill Self has been robust in his efforts to inspire his players to beat certain teams and coaches.

I have no idea if he has run up to the video screen and talked to the opposing coaches. I doubt it, but you never know.

Travis Ford has made the mistake of doing this and then letting it get out on him.

As long as Ford is publicly curteous, what he does in his locker room is immaterial to me, so long as he is not hurting any of his players.

Bill Self is a big boy. He can take a little smack from a guy who wants to beat him.

I would say this to Travis Ford: you've got enough trouble without picking a fight with Self.

And you are going to regret this incident getting out in public.

If I were Self, I would put a picture of Travis Ford on the video screen before the team goes out to take the floor in Stillwater.

I wouldn't mention him by name.

I would just stand in front of his image and say, "As of tonight, I'm all Jayhawk. Now let's go get 'em."

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"Random Thoughts about Travis Ford"

~Travis Ford is to coaching what a thimble of spit is to an ocean.

~Travis Ford will try to kick you when you are up.

~Travis Ford sees success in one win among many losses.

~Travis Ford is not only not a Lincoln, he is not even a Smart4Two.

~Travis Ford's middle name is Bilbo.

~Travis Ford dreams in 1/3 scale and achieves in half scale.

JayHok 1 year, 10 months ago

After reading your posts, I just realized Mizzou leaving means nothing now. Ford all by himself gives Self all the ammunition he needs. For football Weis needs Snyder to keep coaching until he's ninety.

mikehawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Travis's job is sitting on top of the Tipping Point. Beating KU was a big deal to saving his job. The rest of the season will either provide a new contract, or should OSU finish weak, T-Boone makes the call. If Ford goes, know it will always be a touchstone gesture with each OSU coach's departure that Bill gets a chance to name his price to come home. I don't think he would go, but it adds unneeded stress in my life I don't really want. Living here in Oklahoma where I can throw a rock and hit a Poke fan in any direction, (if I miss it hits an OU one) know every OSU alum has secret fantasies about Coach Bill coming home to be their new Mr. Iba. T-Boone knows it would be the crowning achievment to his legacy of what he has done to help his alma mater stand toe to toe with the Crimson and Creme in Norman.