Saturday, April 20, 2013

Conner Frankamp stands out at all-star game

Wichita North senior and Kansas University recruit Conner Frankamp is pictured on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012, at Pleasant Valley Middle School in Wichita, where he works out daily with his father, Marty Frankamp. Frankamp said that although he is looked at as a shooter, he is preparing to play the point if needed for KU.

Future Kansas University basketball player Conner Frankamp scored 20 points while playing 20 minutes in Friday’s Derby Festival Classic high school all-star game in Louisville.

The 6-foot guard from Wichita North hit eight of 15 shots, including four of nine three-pointers in the White squad’s 124-113 loss to the Black squad. He had two assists and no turnovers.

Frankamp had 13 points the first half off 5-of-6 shooting. He hit three of four threes in playing just nine minutes. Frankamp also won the Papa John’s “Slice Award” for core values.

Wiggins undecided: Andrew Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 senior forward from Huntington (W. Va.) Prep, tells sportsnet.ca that he is not close to choosing between KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State.

“Anyone who says they know where I’m going is a liar,” he said after a Nike Hoop Summit practice session in Portland, Ore. He’ll be playing for the World team in a game against the U.S. all stars. “I don’t know where I’m going, so they can’t know where I’m going.”

Wiggins, the No. 1-rated player in the country, has made it clear he will be a one-and-done player in college.

“He really takes on whatever responsibility is needed,” said Wiggins’ coach at the Summit, Roy Rana of Ryerson University, in an interview with sportsnet.ca “And this one for him is representing Canada. He’ll have the flag on his jersey, and he’ll take it seriously. He’s such a giving person … it’s not really about him, it’s what he can give to others.

“It’s really his last high school game,” Rana added. “So what better way to go out than in front of 10,000 people at the Rose Garden and against the best in the world on ESPN; It’s a fitting completion to his high school career.”

The game, which will also feature KU signee Joel Embiid, is set for 6 p.m. today on ESPN2.

Playoffs ahead for Jayhawks: Eight former KU basketball players will participate in the 2013 NBA playoffs. The eight Jayhawks — Darrell Arthur (Memphis), Mario Chalmers (Miami), Nick Collison (Oklahoma City), Drew Gooden (Milwaukee), Kirk Hinrich (Chicago), Paul Pierce (Boston), Thomas Robinson (Houston) and Tyshawn Taylor (Brooklyn) — represent eight of the 16 teams in the postseason.

Former Jayhawk Brandon Rush’s Golden State team also qualified, however Rush sat out the 2012-13 season recovering from a torn ACL.

Hinrich’s Chicago Bulls and Taylor’s Brooklyn Nets, and Gooden’s Milwaukee Bucks and Chalmers’ Miami Heat will meet in the East quarterfinals, guaranteeing a Jayhawk matchup in the East semifinals. In the West quarterfinals, Collison’s Oklahoma City Thunder and Robinson’s Houston Rockets will meet, which means a Jayhawk will be in the West semifinal round.

Last year, Chalmers joined former KU forward Clyde Lovellette in becoming only the second Jayhawk to win both an NCAA championship and an NBA title. Like Chalmers, Lovellette, who was inducted into the College Basketball Hall of Fame in November 2012, was Most Outstanding Player when KU won the 1952 NCAA Tournament. Chalmers and Pierce are looking to become the first Jayhawks to win two NBA championships since JoJo White won two titles with the Boston Celtics in 1974 and 1976.

Comments

Ian Emerson 1 year ago

Lets be honest. The moment Naa hit the game winning shot against OKST he solidified his spot as Selfs favorite and Point guard next season. He's got ice in his veins dammit!

truthofthematter 1 year ago

One and done, well we have seen Selby and McLemore as a one and done and Bill sure didn't do a good job of getting them to the next level as he had both sitting on the bench with him. Self has a long way to go to be a good coach as he hasn't proved that he can recruit yet.

joshuamc914 1 year ago

I'm just not as sold on Thatpe as everyone seems to be he is either really good or really bad. His shot selection sometimes just makes me scratch my head. I believe he'll start the year but will he remain there I'm not quiet sure he has to be consistent. And let me say this Brannen Greene will get minutes as a freshman and he will be playing the wing. He can flat out shoot it and he can st buckets. He is definitely not red shirting he will be the backup or starting wing his battle with AWIII is interesting to me winner wil start. I believe the lineup will be Tharpe, Selden, GReene/AWIII, Ellis, Embiid. And on another note that Kentucky team will e good no coach is better at managing me first guys like Calipari. You can say what you want about him being a sleez or shearing whateva but he an recruit and manage egos. To say that Kevtucky will be a me first selfish team isn't accurate at al look what he Du two years ago give him credit. I hate the homers that don't give other coaches credit man there are other good coaches out there even tho I think Self is the best. But, it's ok to give other coaches credit.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year ago

I watched parts of the Nike Summit game. Embiid ended up with 7 point on 1of 2 shooting and 5 of 6 from the free throw line; he also had 2 assists, 1 blocked shot, and 7 rebounds.
The USA team looked pretty much the way I think UK will look next season, a group with me-first superstars that did not play like a team. On the other hand, the International team looked like it had been playing together for a long time, very unselfish, great passing and very efficient and basically schooled the more talented American team.

REHawk 1 year ago

Embiid showed some good stuff this eve in the Nike Hoops Summit game, U.S. 19 and under vs. international age group players. Still gets lost occasionally, but playing super basketball for a 3rd year player. Fran predicts that by midJanuary he will be a load. All announcers seemed to concur that by his soph season JoJo will be a real stud. I think he hit 5 of 6 freethrows. Looks to be a kid who quickly steps into Withey's finishing shoes.

Micky Baker 1 year ago

In other news, Kansas baseball moves into second place, 1 game behind the Sooners.

KemDooKU 1 year ago

Wiggins is staying all four years in college - he don't know it yet so I can't tell him that he is - and Conner better be good at defense or he is another AW - all shoot and no stoppy stoppy defender ........ Peace out

William Blake 1 year ago

Conner will be a great Jayhawk. His effectiveness will largely be determined by how effective we run our offense. If we develop inside scoring again he should be a real weapon from the outside when we successfully run the high-low.

hawkmoon2020 1 year ago

Really struggling with why Wiggins hasn't picked a school yet, because it seems he already knows exactly what he's getting from the teams on his list now. What could change between now and his decision date? I guess he'll choose who he chooses, and let us know why eventually. 'Nuff said.

And who can't get excited with our current returnees and incoming recruits? Lots of young talent that will no doubt make us cheer and cry for a number of years. Could still use another impact PF in my mind, but it is interesting to predict the "outside guys looking in" when it comes to the ultimate (8-9 man) rotation. I think Mason is the only one who misses the cut for this year, but then very limited min. have to go to CF and Embiid . . . and I hate to say that!

joshuamc914 1 year ago

I just don't understand why Frankamp is always slighted smh. I feel as if people don't watch himnay and view his appearance and say he can't ay and discredit him. Wheneva he play against the highest competition he always does well and it always seems to surprise people for reasons I don't know. He has consistently delivered no matter the stage he has been on. Also, I'm not going to rule out he won't start at all next year. Why everyone is in love with Tharpe. He is a guy who isn't a good defender and lacks strength. There were alot of games where he was terrible on defense, you could've got a traffic cone out there and did a better job stopping penetration. People say that Frankamp isn't strong enough or a good defender Tharpe is the same liability. Why people are handing the job to Thatpe who was so inconsistent all year long and would continue to make bad decisions I just don't know why. Next year every position is up for grabs and those practices should be fun next year would love to be a fly on that wall.

Jack Wilson 1 year ago

Hmmmm .. I'm beginning to think (not getting giddy, mind you) that Self showing Adams the door had a bit to do with what he had coming in, and what he has. White, Frankamp, and Greene are all potential 4 year players, and Selden likely at least 2. Why waste time, energy, and effort on a potential disruption?

How great would it be if Frankamp is as good as it is appearing, and he can cut it as a point guard behind Tharpe?

I will be floored if Self starts Frankamp and Tharpe, mainly because of the size deal. I would doubt that he starts two guys at or under 6'0". If Self thinks "our little guards" got "beasted" by OSU this season .. yikes. But I always wonder on info from guys like Keegan .. they may not "report" it, but perhaps they "hear" it off the record from a coach.

Tharpe, Selden, White starting on the perimeter with Frankamp and Greene off the bench has the makings of a dynamic five man rotation with the shooting skills necessary to overcome some potential post questions. Some have suggested Greene might be better than White .. if he is, so be it. Our five rotation guys could be our five rotation guys for the next two years, and then sub Mason for Tharpe once Tharpe graduates, or a top recruit.

I think we'll be real happy with this group of perimeter players come January/2014.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Wiggins is going to Kenstinky. Gut feeling. end of story. The point blank denial in his statement says that's where he is going.

kranny 1 year ago

Defense will be key for playing time for Frankamp.

Ian Emerson 1 year ago

I always hate the coach cal talk about money. Most of his recruits are one and done and will be making millions. Wouldn't it be the boosters giving money anyways?

SilverfernJay 1 year ago

Dagger. Closest I can find rated Kirk the #62 recruit (RSCI)

idahawk 1 year ago

Its not the money for Wiggins.....he will be rich enough soon enough. If it were only about $$, he would go overseas for a year and make a million or so.

I could see him going to Cals World, which would make an absolute mockery of college athletics, but I think we have a good shot at landing him if we change the name of "Naismith Drive" to "Wiggins Drive" and commission a statue of Andrew to be prominately placed in the new wing of Wiggins Fieldhouse next to the Original Rules.

Dirk Medema 1 year ago

Conner reminds me of Kirk Hinrich, hough there are obvious differences. Does anyone remember where Kirk was ranked coming out of HS? I can't find records going back that far.

Kye Clark 1 year ago

Kind of surprised the site never does an article on the Barnstormers games. I went to the game last night in Wichita, and it was pretty sweet. All 4 seniors showed up, and rounding out the regular line-up: Connor Teahan (he was technically the coach, and they let some little kids actually "start"). It was evident how tight this group was. All infectious smiles all night long from the players. Fans cheering "fear the 'fro!" for KY. Kevin definitely provided the most highlights with an assortment of dunks. Withey potted a couple of threes and strolled back down the court styling them. At halftime they auctioned off a few items, the most interesting being a prop from their Harlem Shake video that they all signed. Very cool event. I'd encourage any Jayhawk fans who have a chance to attend one of these to do so.

First year that we've been that the opposing team didn't have any former Wichita State players. Maybe they feel that with their recent success they shouldn't be participating in the game and playing second fiddle to the Jayhawks. Last year Joe Ragland and Toure Murry were there.

Only downside was this year there was so much interest (likely due to the high-caliber and number of seniors) the autograph line was so long we chose to skip it in favor of grabbing a seat. The event planners clearly over-sold the tickets, as it was packed and many were left to watch the game standing on the track overlooking the court.

Thanks for the memories guys. You left your mark on the program and will always be fondly remembered in this fan's mind.

Jim Jackson 1 year ago

Anyone know who else we are targeting for this year's class? Any 5th year immediately eligible guys? Jucos?

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

Sorry to hear Frankamp did so well in the all-star game. Now his rivals ranking will probably drop to about 45.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year ago

If its not that big a deal where Wiggens goes, why doesn't he go to a division three NCAA team and just have fun ripping everybody up.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

"Anyone who says they know where I’m going is a liar" Read that line and learn it all of you who keep saying he's definitely coming here.

Dale Kroening 1 year ago

For those thinking Conner is a redshirt possibility, no way you redshirt this kid. He's doing this against the top HS players in the country. No it isnt college players, but still. Look what he did in the U-17 championships. Cant wait to see him step on the court.

REHawk 1 year ago

Andrew Wiggins could very well represent the very birthsites of the game of basketball: Canada and the University of Kansas. Just imagine such an introduction in a dozen or so years of NBA All-Star games. One year in Lawrence and that player represents Jayhawk Basketball throughout quite possibly a storied career in professional play on the world stage. Bill, bring him home!

REHawk 1 year ago

My take on Wiggins: A competitive program goes for/with the best talent available for immediate time and action. The year 2014-15 is a long way off, with many possible injuries or defections lying in the path of progress and development, not to mention other potential Top 10 recruits who might wish to sign on to replace Wiggins in the Jayhawk lineup. People in the know have claimed that Andrew Wiggins is the most potent player to come along since LeBron James. I would recruit that player until the very last second of his decision making process.

Ian Emerson 1 year ago

Considering Kentuckys recruiting class I think not having Wiggins will, in the long run, make our team so much better. Kentucky is the team to beat this year but next year of wayne stays we will mos def be the most talented and cohesive team in the country.

Suzi Marshall 1 year ago

I also really like ths kid but not holding out any grand expectations for him to be a major contributor next year or perhaps even his second year. Last night, last summer's U17 international event, and Wichita HS BBall are a long way from elite D1 compitition. He lacks size and defensive skills. We all saw a great tallent like Ellis, who adapted late in the season, struggle to adapt, The kid does have the heart for the game, which goes a long way.

Janet Scott 1 year ago

I am declaring today that I am entering the NBA draft. My news conference, to be held at my old high school gym in which I played many, many years ago, will be covered by the elementary school paper 'The Weekly Reader'. The only one declaring they might attend my news conference is my dog (my wife just informed me she ain't coming).

KansasComet 1 year ago

Saw the game last night. Excellent shooter. Shoots in rhythm. Does not lack confidence. Defenses will have to respect his shooting ability. If left open, he will make opponents pay. However, he can get his own shot off. I believe he will make other long distance shooters on this team step up their game and let it fly with confidence as well. Surprised when he attempted a two hand slam on a lob pass. He had an off angle and nearly pulled it off, however, the ball got stuck between the rim and the backboard. He can jump, not a high flyer, but he can jump. He was in the 3 point contest and finished 2nd in the finals. He lost 15-13. I believe he had 19 in an earlier round. He should have won, he had at least 4-5 shots that went in and kicked out. I believe there were 5 Indiana, 3 Louisville, and 2 Kentucky signees playing in the game. Syracuse, Marquette, and OSU also had at least one player in the game. Frankamp was clearly one of the best players on the court.

I thought he was an excellent teammate last night. He appeared humble when receiving an award voted on by coaches, and he participated in the dunk contest, by helping a teammate with a perfect lob pass off the side of the glass for a dunk. He constantly touch hands with teammates and encouraged everyone. When he sat on the bench, he appeared focused on the game, almost in a zone. From what I saw, I like this young man. Will be interesting to see how he fits into Coach Self's plan?

mwmilsted 1 year ago

Forget Wiggins. KU has great recruits already.

Doug Cramer 1 year ago

Frankamp - that dude is ALL business. Can't wait til this guy puts on that Kansas uni.

trustyourSelf 1 year ago

OK, Wiggins needs to just decide. Where you will spend 9 months is not that big of a deal. He will be the #1 pick next year no matter where he goes.