Originally published April 17, 2013 at 01:00p.m., updated April 18, 2013 at 12:01a.m.

KU assistant Joe Dooley hired as head coach at Florida Gulf Coast

Dooley hopes to keep up-tempo style at FGCU

Kansas guard Naadir Tharpe laughs with assistant Joe Dooley prior to tipoff against West Virginia on Saturday, March 2, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Joe Dooley — who has worked as an assistant coach at Kansas University during the entire 10-year Bill Self era — says it’s going to be extremely difficult to say goodbye.

“(It was) quite a run. Being part of 300 wins in a 10-year period, 15 of 20 (Big 12) championships, guys growing up and getting better, the friendships we made with other staff members, players and community members. There’s no better place (than KU),” Dooley said Wednesday after agreeing to a five-year contract to take over as head coach at Florida Gulf Coast University.

“Tanya (wife), Max (son) and I will always be proud to have been Jayhawks,” the 47-year-old Dooley added.

Dooley — he was named the top assistant coach in the country in 2010 by foxsports.com — has always said it would take a “special situation” to leave KU.

“My wife and I and coach Self came up with criteria — to go to a place where you could win, work for a great administration and to top it off a place with great quality of living,” Dooley said. “Fort Myers (Fla.) is attractive to live in and recruit to. All those things told me it was a great fit.”

Still ... “this is bittersweet,” added Dooley, who replaces new USC coach Andy Enfield, who led the Atlantic Sun Conference school to a berth in the Sweet 16 of the 2013 NCAA Tournament. “We have unbelievable memories here. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

Dooley — who according to the Fort Myers News-Press will be paid $225,000 a year (he made $300,000, plus use of car and country club membership at KU) annual salary, not counting media money and incentives — has extended offers for assistant coaches Marty Richter and Michael Fly to remain with the program along with director of operations Joey Cantens, the paper indicated.

“Joe certainly gave us 10 years of excellent service. I’m sad to see him leave, but happy for he, Tanya and Max. They deserve this opportunity,” KU coach Self told the Journal-World.

“He’s had several opportunities where he could have made a move but this one just felt the best for him and his family. Joe has meant an awful lot to our program in the last 10 years and a big reason why we have been successful. Although we hate to see him leave, it’s one of those situations that you are so happy for him and know that he will be ultra-successful living on the beach in Florida. He’s been so instrumental in not only coaching our guys but also with the development and skill improvement of our players. All of our players have enjoyed playing for him, knowing they were going to get his best effort every day.”

Dooley had the second-longest tenure of any assistant in KU history. Sam Miranda worked 11 years on coach Ted Owens’ staff.

“Ten years, it’s hard to pick one,” Dooley said, asked to identify a No. 1 memory of his KU days. “Obviously, winning a national championship (in 2008). There’s so many steps along that process that made that something special.”

An avid jogger, Dooley will be able to go for long runs on the Florida beach.

“My son, as you know, has long, curly hair,” Dooley said of 9-year-old Max. “He looks like a surfer. We’ll put him out on the beach and see if he can learn how to ride a wave.”

Dooley will be formally introduced at a news conference at 1:30 p.m. Monday in FGCU’s Alico Arena.

Self to start looking: Self said he was in no hurry to name a replacement for Dooley.

“I really don’t know what I’m going to do, obviously sit on it awhile, get input from Kurtis (Townsend) and Norm (Roberts, assistants) and see what direction we are going to move. I do have some individuals in mind in case there ever was a potential opening. I’m at the preliminary stages on doing anything,” Self said.

If Self wanted to, he could ask the NCAA for an emergency recruiter during the rest of the spring period, such as director of basketball operations Doc Sadler.

“I don’t know if we’ll need that. We only have basically 10 days left (in recruiting period),” Self said, “and three guys can be on the road. We have a limited number of total days we can be out so I don’t think that will be a factor,” Self said of being shorthanded.

“It’s not bad timing. Most of our recruiting was done in the fall by signing five guys. We’re in the process of trying to bring in a couple more guys. I don’t know if there’s ever perfect timing, but the timing is fine,” Self said.

This, that: The darlings of the NCAA Tournament, the FGCU Eagles return four starters off a 26-11 team that became the first No. 15 seed to reach the Sweet 16. FGCU defeated Georgetown and San Diego State in the tourney. ... Point guard standout Brett Comer attended Self’s KU basketball camp as a youth. He played two years at Blue Valley Northwest. ... Dooley said Comer is a friend of KU senior Travis Releford. ... Dooley said he’d ask the Eagles players to contact KU players to ask them any questions they might have about Dooley and/or his coaching style. ... “Congrats to coach Dooley for getting the head coaching job here,” Comer wrote on Twitter. ... Former coach Enfield made $157,500 last season with the Eagles, the Fort Myers News-Press reported.

Young happy for Dooley: KU senior Kevin Young sent a text message to Dooley congratulating him on getting the job. “I think he’ll do amazing,” Young said. “He’s such a great, great teacher off the court and on the court — little things helping me on my shot. Before everybody gets in there (gym before practice), he’ll come up to me and talk to me about any improvements I need to make in my game.”

Self to visit Okafor: Self next week will conduct an in-home recruiting visit with Jahlil Okafor, the No. 1-ranked player in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals.com. Okafor, 6-foot-10, 280 pounds from Chicago Whitney Young High, has visited with Ohio State coaches. He’s also considering Duke, Michigan State, North Carolina, Illinois, DePaul, Arizona, Kentucky, Baylor and others.

Comments

JayHok 1 year ago

Just checked this supposed rumor. Sounded crazy and not true because it was.

truthofthematter 1 year ago

If you have been watching the recruiting by Ku the past few years you would see that these coaches can't recruit, make note of Morningstar, Selby, Johnson and now McLemore as he sit on the bench many games in which he would lose the ball make turnovers. Experts have been saying for years that KU isn't recruiting players. Look at KU's record in the NCAA tounment, Bradley, Bucknell, Northern Iowa and VCU, not a pretty record at all. Wiggins going to NU does sound weird but, stranger things have happened.

Hawk8086 1 year ago

Give me someone that can recruit. I don't care whether they have KU ties or not. The concept of Wiggins going to NU is the weirdest recruiting rumor that I can remember. It doesn't make sense. Shiny new arena enticing someone to play there? Come on! I don't recall who they have coming back, but I can't see them being that great of a team even with Wiggins.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

K, I didn't know that Bret Ballard was an assistant under Manning now too.

I see both of those (Woodberry & Ballard) as candidates.

Not sure if I see Jer. Howard as a candidate in that he's making ~ $350,000 as an assistant at SMU!!!! Thinking he's not leaving at this pont unless it's for a head coaching position.

The up-side to Woodberry is more time already as a Div I assistant with 5 previous years at Missouri State. The up-side to Ballard is having a stint as a head coach.

I think the Woodberry tenure would be more valuable as I think he'd likely have a lot more experience in the recruiting.

There's probably some others we're not thinking of including former Illini players - Luther Head or Dee Brown perhaps even?

Or other not yet mentioned Jayhawks like Eric Chenowith (was an assistant for a while after having graduated - at Illinois State & then Houston Baptist?).

If they aren't currently coaching and the interest is there, they'd have to be able to pick up and jump right in at a moment's notice - i.e., I think that could actually work for LaFrentz - mostly making his living these days just owning properties & land.

Beth Ennis 1 year ago

Coach Dooley, so sad to see you leaving us; but very happy and excited for you at the same time. I know you will never forget Lawrence. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family!

jaybate 1 year ago

The only way NU signs Wiggins is if Warren Buffet adopts Wiggins and makes him his sole heir.

Next.

Dooley is taking a cut to become a head coach? Talk about a weird situation! FGCU should at least have matched his KU salary!!! But Joe D had to take it for all the reasons he said. Four guys back from a 26-11 team? A lot better to come into something already built up than some thing not. Will be interesting to see how Joe D does in Ft. Meyers. I hope some KU guys get a shot at becoming his assistant.

Next.

Recruiting has to be effected by Dooley leaving. Chalmers talked about how incredibly close he was with Joe D. Its clear from the quotes and pictures that the players like an trust Joe immensely. The recruits would be the same way. But Self is ultimately why they come. I could see it being tough on certain recruiting targets, but nothing foundation rocking.

Next.

One more thing about Wiggins and NU. If Wiggins were go to NU and it were all said to be on the up and up, then the NCAA might as well just fire all of its investigators and get completely out of the enforcement bidness. Capice?

truthofthematter 1 year ago

Don't count on Wiggins going to KU. The LJS in Nebraska had a article the other day saying that Wiggins was spotted at the Lincoln airport and was picked up by Nebraska Head Coach Miles. Today there was a articles saying that Coach Miles has indicated that Wiggins has add Nebraska to his list with real good possibllity of getting him at NU. It was also stated that the New 488 million dollar arena has a great impact on his decision. It is a shame that KU is losing one of their top recruiting coaches and that this is going to be a big hit on top recruits coming to KU. Maybe this was one of reasons that Wiggins has added NU to his list.

truthofthematter 1 year ago

Don't count on Wiggins going to KU. The LJS in Nebraska had a article the other day saying that Wiggins was spotted at the Lincoln airport and was picked up by Nebraska Head Coach Miles. Today there was a articles saying that Coach Miles has indicated that Wiggins has add Nebraska to his list with real good possibllity of getting him at NU. It was also stated that the New 488 million dollar arena has a great impact on his decision. It is a shame that KU is losing one of their top recruiting coaches and that this is going to be a big hit on top recruits coming to KU. Maybe this was one of reason that Wiggins has added NU to his list.

Justin Daniel 1 year ago

How about Wiggins' dad? We did it with Chalmers and Manning and those turned out okay.

Neom 1 year ago

Ben Howlland, heck of a recruiter and on the market for a job.

southwindjay 1 year ago

We will miss you coach.

I hope Bill will add a really good recruiter to his staff.

FMBeachJayhawk 1 year ago

Congrats Cach! Come on out to my Restarant on the beach (Chuck Last stop) and I'll buy you and the family dinner.

BPSkelly 1 year ago

The reality is anyone who gets into coaching gets in to it to eventually have a head coaching job. Especially when one starts out. As time goes on, that may change. Quite frankly I thought Joe was an lifer assistant. And lets face it... coaches are hired to be fired. How many coaches get to leave on truly their terms? My guess is the % is single digits. It just doesnt happen that way.

Which means WHEN the opportunity arises, one should take it. If im not mistaken hasnt he interviewed for a half dozen or so jobs while he's been at KU? And obviously, he's still been here. Wasnt he a finalist for the Rutgers job when the most recent guy was hired (and now fired)? My guess is at 47 and a handful of "dont you call us we'll call you" conversations he figured he needed to take the gig. It is a lower level than I would have anticipated, but be honest, its a D-I job. My guess is if the door was being beaten down for him he'd already be a head coach at a bigger job. He'll be fine, and we already know he's got kids who love to fun and gun. Should be a great match.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

I think I'll put my 2 cents in on the open Assistant position.

I'm thinking in order I'd like to see it potentially go to:

1. A. Miles
  2. Woodberry
  3. Simien
  4. LaFrentz
  5. Ru. Robinson
  6. Jer. Howard
  7. Boschee
  8. Br. Ballard
  9. C. Walker
  10. Sadler

woodscolt 1 year ago

Good luck joe and thanks for the 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!!! FGCU landed a good coach. Hopefully they will make another run in next years tourney.

yates33333 1 year ago

Of course Self will decide. I sure hope he doesn't mind opinions being expressed, however. I also hope blackmild doesn't either. This sort of thing seems harmless enough.

Is the comment about Brown and Pearce supposed to be funny? I don't get it. Of course, I don't get a lot of things posted here. For example, "JayhawkFanToo, someone is doing it again!" What is Jake Barnes doing? Or is it Jake Barnes who is being commented about? Wayne Simien is a fine person and would probably be a good coach. As someone mentioned, he is more interested in saving souls rather than saving KU some losses.

David Hall 1 year ago

LET BILL THINK OF WHO IS BEST FOR THE ASSISTANT COACH JOB

kawryan 1 year ago

Ah man.... I really liked Dooley, the bread to our butter if you will. Congrats, Joe

latigo 1 year ago

Good luck, Joe. We enjoyed having you here.

jimjones 1 year ago

I heard that Larry Brown and Paul Pearce are fighting each other over the job.

Jack Wilson 1 year ago

One thought on the replacement .. recruiting. Find the guy that is a top tier recruiter. That's it.

JakeBarnes 1 year ago

Actually, he was once reported as making $250,000 at KU. I wonder how involved and successful he was for KU recruiting. I think all your suggestions for coaches are fine. Earlier I thought Wayne Simeon might be best. (don't tell I don't know how to spell his name. i don't.) My second thought, however, is who can best recruit? Maybe Doc Sadler ought to be moved up. He landed some pretty good players at Nebraska.

FGCU will have high expectations after the past season.

Mel Clare 1 year ago

According to this article FGCU is going to pay him 225k per season for a five year contract. He was making 234k here at KU. Most would think it is a pay loss, but we have to remember...........there are NO state taxes in Florida that is why alot of people retire there. So he is probably making a little more (gross) than at KU.

It will be a loss, but HCBS and the staff will over come and he will find another young up and coming coach to take aboard. I myself would like to see pryor players that would like to get into coaching. I always thought it cool to see Dukes previous players on the bench, some have went on to coach at other schools. Someone like Rafe or Aaron Miles or Keith Langford would be good coaches. Someone with energy, with passion for KU. Someone with TIES to KU should be considered. We are always talking about the KU family and how big it is................get someone from within the family.

iamakufan 1 year ago

Major loss for us but best to Joe and family. I wish him much success. But we'll sure miss him.

JayHok 1 year ago

Every time KU has hired an elite player's dad on staff, we've won a national championship. Also if this happened surely it would be a record of some sort. Each coach on staff except for Townsend would have a son on the team!

phins13td 1 year ago

He took a pay cut? That's crazy. Oh well, good luck coach Dooley.

Robert Lofthouse 1 year ago

why not a Russ Rob, or Mike Lee or Rex Walters or Jeff Boschee or Aaron Miles or Kevin Young? energy, youth, relevance... all with game smarts.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

Saw also that Jeff Boschee has been an assistant coach at one of the Cal.-State schools but more recently with three years at Missouri Southern in Joplin.

Woodberry makes sense.

Who was the one we had at Baker University? Oh, yeah - Brett Ballard.

Didn't realize that C.B. McGrath was already an assistant for Roy for a long time now over at UNC.

What's Jeff Graves doing these days?

Someone said we need to recruit Texas better.

Maybe we could get a former Longhorn on staff?

Brad Buckman? Is Ford still in "the league"?

Dan Cook 1 year ago

Congrats to Joe. As for who takes his spot on the bench, probably Doc if he's around next year. You know he'd prefer to be a head coach somewhere but I can't imagine too many jobs open right now that he'd want and the ones he would want (Texas Tech among them) he didn't get.

Don't know about Doc as a recruiter. I think we need to recruit Texas better so someone with deep ties there would be nice. If that's Doc, great. I also agree with the infusion of youth comment from above. It will be interesting to see what happens, but conventional wisdom would be Doc sliding over a couple of chairs.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

Woodberry?

Has assistant coaching experience (quite a bit at this point) now. Still young.

5 years at Missouri State followed by this past year w/ Danny at Tulsa.

Too soon?

I'd REALLY like to see LaFrentz get into coaching.

If we got him now, he'd be starting fresh. Don't think I like that too much.

We could really use some cache' out west. Think we could pull an assistant away from a UW, Oregon, one of Howland's assistants (assuming Alford might not have wanted to retain them all), SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico?

Just an idea. Some of the better recruits in the short term (say the next 2 season) are coming from out of Cali.

ccarp 1 year ago

Great hire and a new reason to cheer for Dunk City. Hate to see you go, but you were due! I hope Fake Joe Dooley stays with the hawks! :-)

actorman 1 year ago

"He’s had several opportunities where he could of made ..."

I think Coach Self is a little better spoken than that. Just a wild guess here, but he probably said, "He’s had several opportunities where he could HAVE made ..."

Sam Constance 1 year ago

I heard that Wiggins is meeting with Self and Williams this week on Bleacher Report.

That's either good, if you think he's meeting with the two finalists to tell them in person, or bad, if you think he's meeting with the runners-up.

Thoughts?

texashawk10 1 year ago

First of all, congrats Coach Dooley, FGCU is school with a chance to develop into a solid mid-major program in the coming years and end up in C-USA or an equivalent conference. A little FYI for everyone, FGCU was KU's opponent the night KU officially unveiled the 2008 national title banner. FGCU is about 20 years old as a school, and has only been playing D1 basketball for 6 years so their alumni base is still pretty small and pretty young so they don't have a lot of financial resources from alums yet, but that'll change as their alumni base gets larger and older. What FGCU does have going for them right now is a beautiful location to sell recruits on, beachfront dorms are something very few schools can claim, a program that reached the Sweet 16 in its second year of being NCAA tournament eligble, and being in a city where lots of rich people live which could potentially speed up the process of increasing financial resources.

As for his replacement, I do like the idea of an ex-Texas Tech coach, but not Billy Clyde as it's way too soon for him to have this high profile of a job. I think Chris Walker would an excellent assistant coach at KU. I thought Walker did an above average for the situation he was in and has ties all over the country being from Texas, played at Villanova, and been an assistant out west (Pepperdine and LMU), on the east coast (UMass and Villanova), and in Texas at Tech. He is also about a decade younger than the other coaches on staff so he could be an injection of youth to the staff. Just my $.02 on who should the next assitant coach should be.

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

I wonder how all of our opinions of Calipari would change if he came to KU as an assistant? Again.

mgbaseball 1 year ago

will this hurt the little chance we have with wiggins? With a piece of the coaching staff now leaving I think he would be less likely to come to KU.

702Hawk 1 year ago

On ESPN they say Phil Jackson is getting itchy to get back to coaching. Maybe HCBS should offer him the spot. That would have to be a great recruiting pitch.

hailtoku 1 year ago

Danny, Dooley....ouch.

Sam Constance 1 year ago

NO THANKS on giving the open spot to Doc Sadler. I know we all heard about what an amazing "Xs and Os" coach he was while at Nebraska, but a fat lot of good it did him.

Self should be looking at this as an opportunity to infuse some youth onto his staff. Someone who is a little closer in age to the new recruits that will be coming through. Someone who young HS students can identify with a little more.

I disagree that this will be a major blow to the program, because at the end of the day, there is a reason we distinguish the head coach from the assistant coaches. Norm Roberts was a pretty fantastic assistant before leaving for St. John's, and KU did just fine while he was gone.

I know there's a tendency to freak out any time we lose a seemingly integral piece of the puzzle (see: Manning, Danny), but to me that's largely overreaction to change, rather than any founded opinion that we will struggle without whatever piece is leaving. Change is inevitable--and this could end up being a good thing for the program. If Self was able to put together a competent staff the last time around, I'm sure he'll be able to this time around. Just like Kansas is a high-profile school for recruits, it's a high-profile destination for would-be assistants. They know that assistants at schools like Kansas show up first on lists for new head coaching opportunities, especially when the school has been as wildly successful as Kansas has over the past decade or two.

PLEASE don't just promote Doc Sadler. PLEASE.

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year ago

Congratulations coach Dooley!!! Best of luck to you and your family. We'll be watching you and your new team.

mojayhawk 1 year ago

Thanks Joe. You've made a big difference to a lot of players (and Coaches!)

Note to Coach Self: Hire Bob Hurley, the New Jersey connection.

Nathan Scholl 1 year ago

Happy for you Dooley! About time you got your own gig man! Kansas nation will miss you! You are the best! Best of luck!

poet008 1 year ago

With Marcus Smart announcing he's returing to OSU, this is a terrible day for KU basketball.

Nothing left to sell once OU and UT announce they are leaving the Big 12.

KU is in serious trouble.

jgkojak 1 year ago

And watch Dooley take this group and do what Roi did with Doherty's guys- and turn them into real winners. It will take exactly 2 seasons of winning and getting into the NCAA Tourney for Dooley to be snatched up by a higher profile program.

Scut Farkus 1 year ago

He always looked so serious. Even in blowouts where HCBS and other assistants might be laughing and enjoying the win, Dooley would look like he was ready to chew somebody out. I think he is going to make a great HC. The Bill Self coaching tree is sprouting branches.

Alex Wishart 1 year ago

Does FGCU only hire coaches with hot wives? Their AD must be a hound dog.

Brak 1 year ago

Congrats Coach Dooley, I think we all knew it was a matter of time. I will be interested in how well he is received in Dunk City because I would have to assume that Dooley will implement a similar system that is run here which is much less flashy than what Enfeild was running. Im sure though nobody is going to care as long as he is winning.

yellowjeep 1 year ago

If Doc moves to the bench how about Chris Walker (TTU interim HC) as DOBO?

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

Well...now Bill has three scholarships and one coachingship to offer...look out America!!!

I say get the kid from Butler, tell him he's the top assistant and the KU job will be his in five years [or maybe 10] :) ]

Bryce Landon 1 year ago

Goodbye, Coach Dooley. Best of luck to you at FGCU. Rock Chalk!

Tom Keegan 1 year ago

I think this is a great opportunity for Dooley. FGCU's best player, Sherwood Brown, was a senior, but they had three really good other players. Five of the top six scorers are returning, plus they have a transfer from Marquette who will be eligible, plus they were high on the two recruits they have coming in.

The millions and millions of dollars worth of free pub the school received during the Sweet 16 run will open up recruiting. The New York/New Jersey-Florida pipeline makes getting a guy with those recruiting ties a natural. Plus, Enfield had great success by devoting part of every practice to working on shooting technique. Dooley has an excellent reputation for working with shooters.

Dooley has been picky about which jobs to pursue and I completely see why he went after this one.

archercc 1 year ago

Annnddd the Kansas coaching tree gets a little bit bigger. I think losing him is going to be a big hit to the program as a lot of incoming kids credited Joe for their recruitment and development.

Hopefully we can snag another talented guy who got shafted at a subpar program like Sadler to help fill his shoes.

1 year ago

We are definitely going to miss Coach Dooley. Here is a nice article on him shortly after we won the National Championship in '08:

Wonder if Nick Fazekas will be calling to congratulate Joe ;)

PSM 1 year ago

So you just copied and pasted FGCU's press release for this article? Seems like lazy journalism.

jc1306 1 year ago

Head coaching jobs are hard to get. Congrats to Coach Dooley, he'll be hard to replace. But, we are Kansas and we may not find a coach with his east coast contacts but maybe we'll find someone with contacts in another high level area.

ardy682 1 year ago

Tough loss! ....but maybe now we can have legit big man coach... Pollard (most likely not because of his episode with self), Simien or someone of that nature...

DanR 1 year ago

I'm going to miss his smiling face there on the bench during games.

Ross Hartley 1 year ago

How in the world are they going to pay him? Enfield was making $157,000 and alums were talking about raising up to $300,000 to keep him.

notjustbread 1 year ago

likely a promotion for Doc...and maybe Simeon slide in Doc's shoes.

741hawk 1 year ago

I am just very surprised at this decision. But, only Joe knows what's best for him. However, I always thought Coach Dooley was awaiting an opportunity at a bigger venue. This could be tough. Small school. Totally unknown until a month ago. But high expectations now. Players are used to playing a completely different style. (That's a big hurdle in the short term.) There will be no recruiting "transition" as the coach just left.

I don't know. Maybe he and his wife just like Ft. Myers. (Hard not to like.)

gchawk 1 year ago

Congrats Coach, I wish nothing but the best for you. After talking to a number of players these past few years, I found out just how influential and talented Coach Dooley is, so I'm not surprised about him taking this job. Hate to see him go, but it was inevitable.

PwopellewCap 1 year ago

Enfield made like $150K there and the school was asking for donations from alumni to try to double his salary there. Didn't Dooley make more than that here?

JayHawkFanToo 1 year ago

Best of luck "Head Coach" Dooley. Hopefully this is a stepping stone to bigger and better positions; no offense to FGCU.

okiedave 1 year ago

Joe, don't you realize that this area of Florida is laden with swamps containing African Rock Pythons that can eat Freshmen recruits -- not to mention hurricains and drug cartel trafficing? But on the other hand, great beaches with lots of good looking girls in bikinis. Probably a reasonable move..

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

Is it just as a coincidence that Kansas has had one of it's best decades in it's history while Coach Joe was here??? I think not......we all need to wish him only the best of success. [Except if he plays Kansas}. Too bad, Joe...no more Kansas winters!!! :)

What do you all think:

a] Doc.

b] Curtis.

c] Norm.

d] Someone from the outside.

Joe Baker 1 year ago

I knew this would happen any year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year ago

What? Doesn't that job pay peanuts?

KemDooKU 1 year ago

With success comes opportunity - have to expect these things to happen - if we don't want the assistants to leave then maybe we should start losing 15+ games a season - maybe not .......so best of wishes Coach -

jgkojak 1 year ago

Well, wouldn't be surprised to see Doc Sadler taking his place immediately -

Doc is a brilliant basketball mind and is good to have on the bench w/us.

Ron Franklin 1 year ago

Congratulations, Coach!

Todd 1 year ago

I kept hoping he wouldn't get it. Not that I don't want the best for him and his family, but he was a big recruiter for KU. I hope this isn't as big a blow as I fear it could be. The loss of Manning, I feel, affected the development of big guys like Ellis and Traylor. I hope the loss of Dooley doesn't affect any future recruiting. Good luck to him though.

Dirtyphog 1 year ago

Damn! I don't want him to go but I'm glad he got a head coaching job... hopefully he wasn't the lead recruiter for any possible late signees, that will definitely hurt us

jay381 1 year ago

Ouch, This will be a big set of shoes to fill for recruiting on the East Coast. However, with success comes opportunity and I certainly am glad to see him get the HC job. I have no idea how many of those kids graduate but they sure made some waves this year. Best of luck to him and congratulations on the opportunity.

I am sure there will be no shortage of candidates to fill his position. I only hope we get someone that can both recruit and develop elite talent.

PayHeedAll 1 year ago

Nooooooooo! Sad to see him go, but congrats!