Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Rio Adams a goner; Ben McLemore decides today

Kansas guard Ben McLemore waves to a face in the crowd as he and his teammates stretch prior to tipoff against North Carolina, Sunday, March 24, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

One Kansas University freshman basketball player — reserve Rio Adams — officially exited KU’s program Monday.

Today, another Jayhawk freshman — second-team All-American Ben McLemore, who is projected to be the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft by and the No. 2 selection by — will announce his future plans at a 2:30 p.m. news conference in Allen Fieldhouse. McLemore, who set KU’s all-time freshman scoring record (15.9 ppg), is expected to become the third KU freshman in the Bill Self era to leave for the pros after one season, joining Xavier Henry and Josh Selby.

Self announced Monday that Adams, who asked for and received his release from his scholarship agreement last week but had second thoughts, definitely would be leaving the team.

“We met again and talked about it. We both came to the same conclusion: that it would be in his best interest to pursue other options, get off to a fresh start and impact another program,” Self told the Journal-World.

Self also released a statement through KU on the matter.

“Anrio and I met today and discussed his feelings and how they have apparently changed. We discussed everything and talked openly,” Self said. “Together we’ve come to the conclusion that it is in his best interest to pursue other opportunities and go to a place where he has the chance to really impact a program and, preferably, a school that is closer to home. This will allow him to red-shirt and have another year to work toward graduating.”

Adams confirmed his decision to transfer on Twitter through his @AnrioAdams account.

“Nothin but positives from here on out ... This will only make me stronger,” he tweeted.

If McLemore declares for the draft today, that would give KU three available scholarships for next season. The Jayhawks already have signed No. 25 (by Brannen Greene, 6-7 small forward, Tift County High, Tifton, Ga.; No. 26 Wayne Selden, 6-5 shooting guard, Tilton (N.H.) School; No. 31 Conner Frankamp, 6-foot combo guard, Wichita North; No. 37-ranked Joel Embiid, 7-foot center, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla.; and No. 134 Frank Mason, 5-11 point guard, Massanutten Military Academy, Woodstock, Va. KU is still in the running for No. 1-ranked Andrew Wiggins, 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, who is considering KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State.

Self told the Journal-World the Jayhawks are still pursuing players and looking for “immediate impact” on the recruiting trail.

“We could probably sign a couple more,” he said.

Wiggins and Selden were teammates in last week’s McDonald’s All-America game in Chicago. Wiggins told that Selden was “a joy to play with.”

MinorThreat 2 years, 7 months ago

Selden pulling in Wiggins would be alright.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Everyone at the McD's game was pushing Wiggins to come to their respective school. Would obviously be fantastic if we landed him, but right now most believe it's between FSU and Kentucky.

Of course, those "experts" have been very wrong before....

MountOreadCalifornia 2 years, 7 months ago

Frankamp may have enticed ole Wiggy with some dazzling 3 point silk in the shoot out... Smooth!

trustyourSelf 2 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone have any inside info on who else we might be looking at for next year?

Robin Smith 2 years, 7 months ago

Junior Etou is a 3*, 6'8" power forward, originally from Congo, been playing a handful of years, could be on the rise, and KU has tendered a scholarship offer to him

he and Wiggins are the only two officially offered players at the moment

beyond that I might speculate (very loosely) that Allerik Freeman, 6'3" SG, could potentially re-open after Howland got the axe at UCLA

we also did want Wannah Bail, 6'7" PF, in 2012 and he was going to TT but left over the summer because of Gillispie and is going to be joining a program at some point soon, though some think it will be TT again.

some other options are Josh Davis, a postgrad PF from Tulane

he could graduate and play another year with KU if he's pursuing a graduate level degree

Luke Cothron, a Juco guy;_ylt=AkV30uBfZYkVC2ATuxyAEbi8sJB4

and then here's a huge list of guys who are transferring, some of whom can play immediately, and they are noted

Alan Dickey 2 years, 7 months ago

"we also did want Wannah Bail, 6'7" PF, in 2012 ..." Actually, it's Wanaah Bail.

We've already had too many of the guys who "Wanaah Bail," like Rio. We should stay away from that guy if he is true to his name, and he already has Bailed on TT. He could Wanaah Bail on us too.

Richard Benson 2 years, 7 months ago

Rio's most significant contribution to the University of Kansas is leaving. Let's don't complain.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 7 months ago

Appreciate the summary.

Etou has had a KU "offer" for quite a while. This is the type of signing we need to avoid. The annual "body" to fill a spot. The anti-instant impact. Same for Wanaah Bail. Both guys outside the top 100. Why? The only reason to take a guy like this is for depth, and this just sets up a transfer. We have five post guys, the worst Wesley, which is better than clogging space with these guys.

And don't confuse "recruiting" the guys, and making "offers", with "wanting" the player. We didn't "want" bail. We make contingent offers all the time. It's how it works. It's how we ended up with Frank Mason after five or six higher ranked players fell through.

Freeman did sign with UCLA and it was noted that he would play point at UCLA (though listed as a SG). We didn't get a visit with him but he'd be a great get. Would have to be released from the scholarship.

Josh Davis is the most intriguing guy to me .. I posted on him a few days ago. Good scorer. And really, with our post situation, he might be the best possible add at this stage. He's mature, he can score, and is a great gamble as a one year player. Cothran, with all his problems, might be the next best option.

Again, great summary.

Jeff Coffman 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure if I understand the scholarships left. 4 seniors - EJ, Rele, Withey, KY. 1 Transfer - Anrio 1 NBA Lottery Pick - Ben I'm guessing that Wesley goes back to a walk on.

This leaves 7 and we have signed 5 players?

I guess I count 2 scholarships potentially available, what am I missing?

Phil Leister 2 years, 7 months ago

There are 13 total scholarships. The only returning scholarship players we have are Ellis, Traylor, Lucas, AWIII, and Tharpe. That leaves 8 to fill. I think we had one extra this past season.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 7 months ago

Scholarship players this season: EJ, Releford, Withey, KY, McLemore, Adams, Peters, Wesley (Doyle), White, Tharpe, Traylor, Lucas, and Ellis. That is 13.

The first 8 I listed are available. We have signed 5 (Embiid, Selden, Mason, Frankamp, and Greene).

3 left.

John Strayer 2 years, 7 months ago

Zach Peters left before the season started...there's another scholly....

GortHawker 2 years, 7 months ago

How bout Zach ? Is there any chance he'll be back next season ?

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

Start a Facebook page, Gort:

Champion this cause for us!

RJ King 2 years, 7 months ago

Gettin' Wiggy wid it, would help ease the pain of losing Gettin' Withey wid it.

The Circle of Life spins on.

RokChlk 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm guessing the other one comes from Milton Doyle, after he left we never filled his schollie.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

And Zach Peters, then Wesley retains his scholarship for his senior season.

Phil Leister 2 years, 7 months ago

I know Ben's technically a freshman, but he's been here two seasons. I can't put him in the same category as X and Selby, cause he's been in Self's system for two years.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

And I don't consider him a freshman when they talk about him holding the freshman scoring record. I get it. I know he's technically a fresh. But Danny was a true 18 yr old freshman setting those records. I will always consider him the best freshman though Ben may have the records.

Lash 2 years, 7 months ago

Agree here Blown-- Wilt averaged 29.6 the first year the NCAA let him on the court...

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Was about to say the same as Lash. What's the difference between BMac and Wilt, insofar as considering them "freshman"? Isn't it basically the same thing?

Jim Erickson 2 years, 7 months ago

There must be more to the Rio Adams story than a twitter rant... Much more.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 7 months ago

"joining Xavier Henry and Josh Selby" If Ben goes, and more and more it looks like he is leaving, he better hope he doesn't join them. I guess if you suffered his poverty and a million bucks dangle before you, you'. So, if you go, Good Luck. I hope you make it big. I hope you are another Jo Jo White or Paul Pierce, or even greater.

P.S. I still think it is a mistake. I hope I am 100 percent wrong.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

Not one of us would turn down 15,000,000. Especially getting it to do what we love.

PsychoPink 2 years, 7 months ago

If BMac was having any second thoughts about jumping to the League, which I doubt after already waiting two years, seeing what happened to Kevin Ware ought to be enough to help anyone in his position make their decision.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

I think Kevin Ware broken leg has less of an impact on his decision than when Ben twisted his own ankle.

addlime 2 years, 7 months ago

I just hope he gets a conservative financial planner and listens. Too many of these guys never get a second contract, and after living the lifestyle for a few years, end up with very little. That being said, I believe Ben will easily be a 10 year nba player. Just hope he's careful. He's overcome too much to risk it.

Karen Holmes 2 years, 7 months ago

Will the news conference with Ben be broadcast live here?

Thanks for the memories Ben!

yellowjeep 2 years, 7 months ago

From what I understand it will only be broadcast on Ch 6.

GortHawker 2 years, 7 months ago

No need to watch the news conference you'll either hear the whole city of Lawrence moan or cheer. I prefer cheering

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

No glasses. No coffee. I could have sworn that said "Ben McLemore decides to stay"

Keith Kienzle 2 years, 7 months ago

You and me both. One might think that was deliberately done by the kusports guys. If so, nice work.

mgphill 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, definitely scanned the comments just to find this one so I could agree with it. Gotta be intentional

Mike Skiles 2 years, 7 months ago

Best wishes Ben, thanks for your great time at KU and the fun season this year! We expect biiiiiiig things from you in the NBA!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Ben McLemore is the kind of player that I dream about playing at KU. Humble, unbelievably athletic, a gifted shooter (including, maybe most importantly, free throws), coachable and an all around nice young man who "keeps his nose clean" and doesn't embarrass himself or the University.

Alex Berger 2 years, 7 months ago

I want Ben to go get paid and take care of his family, but I think the "me-first" players in the NBA will take advantage of Ben's selfless playing style. I don't want to watch him get buried on the bench.

LSHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if HCBS will be dipping into the JUCO ranks to find his "impact" players?

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

most likely looking for decommits, senior transfers, or the possible reclassification recruit.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 7 months ago

I think this is possible.

I think by now you've all seen me post about Desmond Lee out of New Mexico Junior College.

5th leading scorer in the juco ranks last year. Size-wise is Rio pretty much....6'3/6'4, 190 (ok, maybe 10 lbs heavier).

Could be good enough that he could slot in as the starting SG and slide Selden to SF - where he seems to want to be with the quotes about Releford and what-not.

Could throw out:

1 - Tharpe / Frankamp / Mason 2 - De. Lee / Br. Greene 3 - Selden / White III 4 - P. Ellis / Traylor / Wesley 5 - Lucas / Embiid

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I think Selden has the capability to play positions 1-3, although, we will likely see him mostly at the 3. If the stars align and we land Wiggins, I would think Selden would slide over to the 2 with Wigg at the 3. That would be an INSANELY athletic freshman 2 punch..... (with Conner taking some heat off from the outside with his silky-smooth jumper).....

Alas, an LAJayhawk can dream, can't he?

LSHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Also a bit curious as to why would Ben schedule a news conference to announce something everyone expects, wouldnt he just put it out there?? Makes me hope he stay's 1 more year.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 7 months ago

"I'm leaving, I love KU, I love my teammates, Coach Self has been very supportive, blah, blah...follow my dreams..."

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

yeah, most every player who was loved and respected by the fan base will have a news conference to announce that he's entering the draft.

He didn't get to talk to the fans at Senior night. This is his chance to say goodbye.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

It's his moment in the sun to declare for the draft, which can help his draft status (and, thus, increase his paycheck). Plus, the hype might help him secure some sort of endorsement, as well. It's all a publicity game in the world of pro-sports (not unlike the industry in my neck of the woods). Then, also, that publicity helps KU in recruiting (..."look, recruits, we send young guys to the NBA! This could be you!").

Plus -- on the less cynical side -- it is a great opportunity for a player to say goodbye to the fan base, and for the fan base to appreciate what he did.

It makes sense for a variety of reasons.

tis4tim 2 years, 7 months ago

With the first pick in the 2013 NBA draft, the Charlotte Bobcats select ...

Those words should strike fear into the heart of any draftees. Enough for Ben to give serious thought to returning for another campaign? Perhaps. Will he stay? Doubtful. And rightfully so as his family situation is well-chronicled. Good luck, Ben, whatever you decide. It has been a joy to watch you play and I hope you can now carve out the life you've always dreamed about.

Rock Chalk!

Matt Gauntt 2 years, 7 months ago

That should be terrifying. However, the Bobcats' shooting guard is the 2nd best player on the team. Not sure if they would select McLemore. Then again, Orlando and Phoenix are probably just as scary of a proposition. I think he goes 3rd and Phoenix picks him up.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 7 months ago

ESPN's Chad Ford only has two teams though wherein he foresees Ben being picked 1st - Bobcats or Pistons.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 7 months ago

Detroit please lol. Good organization that won't be down for long.

KGphoto 2 years, 7 months ago

It’s a lottery, who knows what could happen? The worst team only has a 25% chance of landing the top pick.

There is a decent possibility that he lands in a place like Orlando, Cleveland, Phoenix or Detroit. All teams who are down but have a history of being competitive.

But yes, those words would be demoralizing. Michael Jordan. Who’d a thunk he would be such a terrible basketball owner.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 7 months ago

Ben going to Charlotte would put his career in jeopardy lol. Jordan maybe the greatest player of all time, but he's the worst executive of all time.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

It's like MJ chooses a lineup that will never threaten his playing legacy. Heck, he could probably school most of his own team.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, but he feels it the next day now.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 7 months ago

If he stays, next year same thing, gets picked by some lowly team, although the lottery means he could end up with a 'better' bad team, like the Bulls getting lucky and winning the lottery.

Matt Gauntt 2 years, 7 months ago

Hope Ben stays for another year. One only needs to look at the career of Selby and Henry to see that they have effectively been busts heading out after one year.

The team we have coming back next year will be pretty darned good: Ellis, Tharpe, Traylor and one of the best recruiting classes in the country. Add McLemore to that and we can compete.

If Ben does leave - best of luck to you and thanks for the memories.

Jabez Harlan 2 years, 7 months ago

In Jason Kings "very early" top 25 KU is ranked 20th. I thought that was pretty low considering Self has the no. 3 recruiting class coming in.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

UCLA had the number 2 class in the country last year and all that did was get Ben Howland fired.

And Kentucky had the number 1 ranking..... that didn't turn out too well, either....

Ben Simonett 2 years, 7 months ago

Everybody remember Josh Selby?

Did he have a press conference to announce he was leaving or did he just go silently into the second round?

pepper_bar 2 years, 7 months ago

"X is a goner" usually means the person has died.

"Ben McLemore decides today"? The fact he is announcing today doesn't mean he's deciding today. The decision was likely made days if not months ago.

Clean it up, Journal-World.

Kevin Studer 2 years, 7 months ago

Neither one of those statements needs "cleaning up." You are nitpicking on personal stylistic choices. Lighten up.

pepper_bar 2 years, 7 months ago

I prefer my headlines to be accurate. Rio isn't dead, and there's nothing in the article to indicate Ben's decision is being made today.

Perhaps your standards are lower.

andersonalex 2 years, 7 months ago

Screw this being a question of personal choice. pepper_bar, you are simply, unequivocally, flat out wrong. "Goner" is always interpreted in a contextual sense and means whatever the context implies. It's variable, and nobody familiar with common use of the term would have any trouble understanding the headline.

As for decisions, Ben IS finalizing his decision today. Up until the moment that he makes his intentions public and takes irreversible actions, the door is still wide open for him to shift. The fact that he may have been leaning exclusively one way or another for an extended period of time has no bearing on that fact.

Adam Collins 2 years, 7 months ago

When I read this headline in my head, I blurred together "decides" and "today" into "Decides to stay." I wish my inability to read could translate into real world results.

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Gotta appreciate Ben's mom and family for eventually supporting his decision to come to KU. Lawrence is twice as far from their St. Louis home as Columbia, where his family might have had more access to watching him play. Ben has been a rare jewel in the recruiting annals of Bill Self's 1-year players. Ironically, for learning and maturity purposes, the year of ineligibility worked well for Ben's development. A nice humble player who represented the program well, adjusted remarkably to starting with 4 experienced seniors, and looks to be a top 3 selection in this year's NBA draft. Would love to have him back, but I see no way that he can afford not to grab the brass ring while his body is still intact and his potential is so attractive. Sayonara...and best of all good things to him in his dealing with the riches and limelight soon to be his professional burden.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

Ben's mom is my favorite Missouri Tiger! What a cool mom to let her son come to Lawrence and become a JAYHAWK. Since no one reads these I will say what I believe. Nothing in this day and age is more important than a college degree. I don't care how much money can be made. I know Ben's family was struggling but nothing besides love, character and hard work is more important than education. I know he's going pro but if he did stay perhaps that would influence his siblings to also start and finish college. The quick fix isn't always the answer we think it is. Thanks for the memories Ben.

Kip_McSmithers 2 years, 7 months ago

Anyone else think about what might have been for the Big12 last night?? My wife asked me during the Championship game why didn't the Big12 add Louisville instead of WVU or TCU. She said they'd just won the Sugar Bowl over Florida. Their men's and women's teams are both playing for the NC. Plus it's closer than WVU. She knows that WVU is decent in basketball and football but still thinks that close proximity with just as good at the time (and obvious to us all now much better sports) should have won out.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 7 months ago

I think a lot of it had to do with WVU's embarrassment of Clemson in that one Orange Bowl. THAT football team looked dynamic and on the verge of dominance.

A bit different story last year! :)

poet008 2 years, 7 months ago

Because our master UT didn't want to do it.

I'll never understand why in the world KU continues to slobber over OU and UT. It's like a domestic violence abuse victim who "loves" their tormentor.

KU should be playing Mizzou every year and desperately trying to get into the SEC.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 7 months ago

KU football in the SEC? Masochist or Sadist? I'd ask you if you are from Missery U., but that is obvious.

You can't decide on Louisville or West Virginia based on one year. Since football controls everything in university sports, WVU and TCU were logical choices. I too wish it could have been Louisville but because of their BB tradition. Perhaps is the Big 12 had become the Big 12, instead of 10, Louisville and Cincinnati, or maybe BYU, could have been added.

poet008 2 years, 7 months ago

Nope, KU fan. What difference would it make if KU football were in the SEC? They can go 1-11 there just as easily as in the Big XII. At least the basketball program would be protected and not face the very real possibility of being relegated to a substandard conference.

I just can't understand why KU fans hate on Mizzou so much. They made the only sane choice in the face of the OU/UT Axis of Evil. We should be trying desperately to join them.

Sam Constance 2 years, 7 months ago

You know what I'll never understand?

Why a "KU fan" can have such a low view of the value of KU's basketball program. Yes, the primary driver in realignment is football, but there are a small group of basketball programs that have enough national brand identity and national fan following that they will not end up in a "substandard conference".

IF it gets to a point where KU is running out of options (and I still think that's a big if), there will be a major conference that recognizes how many eyeballs KU basketball brings to TV sets, not to mention the revenue boost in home games because of how well KU fans travel.

poet008 2 years, 7 months ago

Ever heard of UCONN's basketball program? Really saved them didn't it?

bad_dog 2 years, 7 months ago

UCONN"S BB program is a lot more well known than their FB program.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

" I just can't understand why KU fans hate on Mizzou so much."

I've been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to decode that statemtent. Are you serious? How long have you been a KU "fan"?

I'm as close to speechless as I've ever been.

poet008 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I've never understood in the past why KU fans hated Mizzou so much when Mizzou clearly was no where close to KU in basketball and only marginally better in football over history. Hating on them was really KU fan's way of wishing Mizzou was better so that we could have a legitimate rival (which we still don't have in the Big XII).

I definitely don't understand why KU fans hate on Mizzou for leaving the Big XII. Do you really, in your heart of hearts, blame them? Or do you wish KU could do the same thing? Do you really trust OU and UT now that they "love" us again?

bad_dog 2 years, 7 months ago

"I definitely don't understand why KU fans hate on Mizzou for leaving the Big XII."

Umm, the "hatred" for me began long before they left the Big XII. I'm happy they're in another conference, but their leaving has nothing to do with the level or origin of my disdain for all things Mizzery...

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

If anything absence makes the heart grow fonder, but then I think about MU's numerous classless acts and think good riddance.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Why do KU fans hate MU? Throwing batteries at the marching band and printing t-shirts that say "No mom Tom" after Thomas' mom passed comes to mind. A more classless act than the antlers you'll never find. Or how about nearly cratering the conference after it had found stable ground again?

poet008 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, "stable" ground. Until OU and UT spit in our face again.

If the Big XII is so stable, why has there been no expansion?

That's what we're talking about right?

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

No, I could care less about expansion for the sake of expansion. I also notice how you completely ignore what you can't defend.

yellowjeep 2 years, 7 months ago

I am pretty sure The Big XII wanted Louisville but Texas put the brakes on it.

Edit: should have refreshed before posting.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Part 1

Hypothesis time again: the private oligarchic powers that be behind Texas absolutely wanted Louisville to go with West Virginia to the Big 12. They also wanted Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, FSU, Clemson, Pitt, Syracuse and NC State to join to form a super conference. These were the building block states required to extend the Super Corridor up the Ohio Valley to east coast port, plus stem the Grand Bahamas to Miami gas pipeline up the eastern seaboard to connect to the Northeast Super Corridor extension. It would have been game, set, match in the play for control of North America trade and energy. Hardly any question IMO any more that that was the plan, and probably remains the plan, but with different tactics now being pursued. Remember: as General Patton said something like good tactics can save bad strategy, but good strategy cannot overcome bad tactics.

The private oligarchs behind Texas (the red state alliance) apparently using conference expansion as a tactic in pursuing a regional infrastructure strategy in the political economy got totally out flanked by the blue state alliance in the last Presidential election. A seemingly couldn't miss, but then badly botched Presidential campaign by Romney, combined with some dubious regime change tactics in Wisconsin, Ohio, and Michigan to back fire on the Red staters. The blue staters bought Michigan lock stock and barrel with bailouts, held on to their stronghold of Illinois, stalemated Wisconsin, and fought a grass roots political battle in Ohio and won.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Part 2

Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell saw the writing on the wall. He apparently wanted to take Kentucky into Big 12 and so be a part of the Northeast Supercorridor extension, but he also had to worry about his state now being the largest auto assembly state in the country. So: he held off having Louisville join the Big 12 until he saw how the Presidential election was going to play out. As he saw the wheels come off the Romney campaign and saw the American car companies empowered, and knew he was going to have to do bidness with Obama and the blue states one more term, he knew the smart play was retreat Louisville into a conference that could add some regional political economic clout down the road. Kentucky was already in the SEC, so that would have been a redundancy. So: the ACC was the place to be and that is where Senator Mitch parked them. Note that Slick Rick Pitino was vocal about not wanting to join the Big 12; that he wanted to stay in the Big East. What a coach like Pitino wants doesn't matter to Senator Mitch. But what those behind Pitino want perhaps would matter to Senator Mitch. So putting Louisville in the ACC gave Senator Mitch some influence in the ACC regional politics and that was a plus. And apparently the ACC was amenable to Rick's backers, too, for he never expressed displeasure with the ACC move.

So: in the end, Louisville's move to the ACC was a great fit. Senator Mitch did not make enemies of the car companies in Michigan (who apparently seriously dislike a Super Corridor controlled by the private oligarchy of Texas). He did not board the still born Northeast Super Corridor. And he can wield some influence about what happenes with the gas line up the eastern seaboard by Louisville being a member of the ACC alliance of states, while those that want the corridor up the Ohio Valley think of other ways to make it happen. Senator Mitch remembered the cardinal rule of politics. Get what you can, let others lose, and live to fight another day. Notice that Senator JRock of West Virginia stepped down after Obama got reelected and the blue states successfully blocked the oilcos punching a super corridor up the Ohio Valley. The First Battle for the Northeast Super Corridor was lost by the red states, so the waging of the Second Battle of the Northeast Super Corridor, if there were one, has passed on to the next generation. Such is the way of things in the private oligarchy that stoops to conquer. All victory and loss are momentary. All fame and shame are fleeting. Wealth endures all.

Note: but of course it is all just a hypothesis.

Sam Constance 2 years, 7 months ago

To me, the answer is simple--Louisville is predominantly a commuter school, and only has about 1/4th of the fanbase within their own state.

They just don't bring enough revenue intake to the pie to make it worthwhile to give them a slice of said pie. I would have much preferred L'Ville to WVU as well, but if I'm being honest, I didn't want the Big 12 to break apart at all, so nothing about conference realignment is showing any respect for my (or most fans') wishes.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

When the Big 12 expands, they can't do it for the same reasons as other conferences with their own conference networks. Yes there is a Big 12 network, but it's not like the B1G Network, SEC Network, or PAC 12 Network. Those networks make money based off of subscriptions to the local sports package so having a school in a big TV market which is the only reason why the B1G had any interest in Rutgers. The Big 12 cannot expand for the sake of TV markets because that's not how the Big 12 network is setup. The Big 12 has to expand with teams that either add value or at least not subtract value from the contract.

DCLawHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes Kip. Not adding Louisville was a huge mistake for the Big 12. I thought that it would be rectified, but now it is too late.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

Gary successfully tricked some of us with his pseudo play on words, but Krugs pic says it all.

McLemore is waving ' bye, bye'.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

~Self now shows mastery of "counter-recruiting." First he persuades Rio to come. Now he persuades Rio to go.

~Self has signalled that Rio needs to be closer to home. Translation: Rio has some issues that would be stabilized with his folks in his life on a regular basis. Calling Lorenzo Romar! Frankly, Self deserves a flipping medal for this decision. Self needs a good guard prospect for sure to round out next year's team. Rio was a bird in the hand. Self has to know he could come up empty handed on the recruiting trail this time of year. If no Wiggy, then Self is probably looking at the guard equivalent of a Kevin Young first season (best case), or a Landen Lucas (mid case), or a Merv Lindsey (worst case). Self's assessment that Rio needs to play, and needs to get on with it, does recognize what is best for Rio, probably at Self's expense. Self could easily have shined Rio on and said, "Sure, come back next year. We've got some minutes." But if Wiggins shows, then there is zip. And if Frank, or Conner, can play, then Self is going to want to go younger--other things equal. Rio's problems of fit with KU's evolving roster (independent of any personal issues Rio may, or may not, have) are: Frank is probably a better PG prospect out of the box, than Rio, and Conner apparently has an insane rifle, so as a defense stretcher, Conner is going to get serious looks, if he can at least guard his own shadow. Rio seems an exceptional prospect that could play some anywhere, and a lot some places. UWash seems a perfect fit for him. Romar is a fixture now at UWash and could be the steadying influence Rio will need where ever he goes. A redshirt year without his parents near would probably find him on Twitter 24/7. A depressurized year at UWash, constant contact from his parents, familiar surroundings, and Romar being sure to stay put to work with him through the next 4 years seems a perfect fit for Rio. No doubt Rio's heart was in staying at KU finally. But Self was looking down the road and seeing he could probably land a guy as good or better than Rio each of the next two years and this would mean that a kid struggling with adjustment issues to living on his own, would be far from home, playing about half as much as he would elsewhere, and probably not being happy for at least two years or so.

And as for Self, he is 50. He's earned the right not to have to put up with a kid struggling to find his way in a way that has probably been disruptive (and probably will be some more), even if Rio could mean the difference between a 27 win season and a 22 win season next year. Self has to have decided, after how much Self appeared to struggle with his own midlife issues (and, no, I am not talking about any rumors, just about the wringer that is turning 50), that even he has limits to how much he can cope with. Looking from afar, it seems Bill Self made another difficult decision the best it could be made.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Self's not a kid anymore. Rio's going to be a handful for another two years before he blossoms into a terrific player that he likely will become. As Clint Eastwood said through the character of Dirty Harry in Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations." Bill is showing that he knows his own. Good for Bill. Now Anrio just needs Lorenzo Romar, a guy with a pretty good reputation for looking after players, to step up and take on the challenge of Anrio Adams, and this could have a very happy ending for Anrio. And some day, when Anrio is squared away, he very well might become one of those persons that then helps another young person struggle through the thicket of youth. This is what helping others can do for the world. It could all go wrong. Nothing is written. But Self has taken a difficult step here to make sure that Rio has the best chance of it working out well. And it probably wasn't an easy step to take. Self will take a lot of heat from fans, if he drops to 20 wins because he didn't have a 2 guard far enough along the development cycle to get the team at least to 25 wins. Rock Chalk, Bill. I know that loss to Michigan stung like hell, and the sharks are always swimming round the life boat, but you've helped a lot of coaches and players the last 4 years that i know of, and what goes around really does come around eventually. Hang in, Coach Self. 50 can be a bitch! But you're almost through it.

Ad astra per aspera!

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 7 months ago

Good luck in the NBA, BMC... You're a rare talent with crazy potential.

KemDooKU 2 years, 7 months ago

Maybe I am alone but I will be upset if Ben comes back - if he stays he may not even go in the top five next year - They are comparing Wiggins to King James so Wiggins should have the one spot locked up next year and Randle will go two - so staying only hurts his draft status - Go now and don't look back - it's a weak draft so no better time to jump - and all you boobs who think he should stay are just being selfish -

mgphill 2 years, 7 months ago

Good point. Maybe they're not so much being selfish as much as short-sighted

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah - I'm one of those selfish boobs that would like to see him help us to a National Championship.

But you're right - it would suck terribly to go .....3rd in the draft and make what - $50 bucks less per year?

jgkojak 2 years, 7 months ago

His brother is in jail, and a million dollar defense attorney probably gets his sentence reduced or even gets him out. No way he stays.

shinguard 2 years, 7 months ago

It seems like an easy decision for Ben. Simply, next years draft will be much more stacked than this year. I doubt Ben would go in the top 5 if he were to wait until net year. Yes, there are parts of his game he can improve upon on (consistency/creating his own shot off the dribble/being a defensive stopper etc). Ben, is they kind of guy who can learn and continue to develop in NBA. He needs the money! Think about it right now he could make enough money in the next 3 years to have him set for life as long as he manages it appropriately.

MinorThreat 2 years, 7 months ago

Realistically he's gone, but there have been several great players choose to stick around one more year for a championship. Fact.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

How many of those players mothers were unemployed? I'd love for Ben to stay, but realistically he's gone.

jay_cheese 2 years, 7 months ago

Good luck to Ben. Thanks for all of your hard work on and off the court. I look forward to watching your pro career.

Rio, dude, you were history the minute you thought you could call your own shots in public on playing at KU. Very poor form...still wish you the best and hope you find a good fit.

When you pay a guy 5 mil to run a program, he's going to run it. With the results he's had you'll get no questions whatsoever. Rockchalk

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 7 months ago

Ben turned out better than we could've hoped and if he wasn't redshirted he would've been here two years then gone, instead we saw him for one great year. His family needs him to go pro and I think he's ready. He's a quality young man who's game reminds me of Ray Allen. An unselfish player, with a great shot. He needs to improve his ball handling, but gets got heart. Rio, good luck, hope you improve as a player and I don't wish him ill will. It wasn't the right fit and that happens.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago need to do the hat thing..with all the NBA Lottery Teams and let them know which one you want to be with!!!

joeloveshawks 2 years, 7 months ago

Hate to see B Mac go but it is the right thing to do for him and his family. It was great watching him as a fan.

Anyone have any insider info on Wiggins? I was just on an ESPN blog that had KU ranked as #20 in the country for next year and a lot of the people posting comments were saying Wiggins is rumored to be coming to KU. Obviously I assume these are ill informed rumors. Any thoughts?

DocBean 2 years, 7 months ago

Unless Wiggins gets offered a huge deal with Adidas on the down-low, chances are he's going to FSU or UK, with UNC 3rd – all of which are Nike Schools – who land the best players every year. KU is 4th on most lists for Wiggins.

Jabez Harlan 2 years, 7 months ago

thought you would like to know that Louisville and Michigan are both Adidas schools. UCLA which boasted the number one recruiting class last year is also Adidas.

Brian Skelly 2 years, 7 months ago

He's going to be a top 5 pick and his family is statistically impoverished. There's no real decision to be made. Odds are even a worst case scenario he'll get a 2nd NBA contract after the rookie one. If he's reasonably productive at all -- and im betting he will be -- he's going to hit the jackpot on the 2nd one to.

"Blame it on Rio" wont end up at a Pac-12 school. I've heard Gonzaga bantied about, which makes some sense. I just dont think the kid is nearly as good as he was hyped out of high school. If he was, there was every opportunity to get minutes this year -- and even more next year. It became apparent to Rio at some point (likely when he turned into Twitter King) that he was buried on the bench. If he didnt think he could crack the rotation next year, he is doing the best thing by moving on. My guess is Self felt the same way... which is why the 2nd meeting was more like... "No Rio... your are leaving."

Andrew Holmes 2 years, 7 months ago

I thought I read somewhere Ben was going to class after the Michigan loss. If this is true maybe he is trying to remain eligible for next year. No need to go to class if you're going to go pro. I know you can't read much into it. I hope he goes but I could see him stay. He seemed to absolutely love college and KU and you can't put a price on that. You only get to play college ball once. Could go either way I think today.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

There is a need to keep going to class even after he announces he's going pro. If he doesn't, KU's APR takes a hit because he's not leaving KU in good standing and if enough players left KU in poor academic standing, KU could end up in the same boat as UConn and not being eligible for the NCAA tournament.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

This is also why I don't buy the theory that Rio Adams grades are failing or close to failing because Bill Self would not have granted Rio his release if Rio was failing or close to failing. He would make Rio go to summer school and get his GPA up enough to where his leaving wouldn't hurt KU's APR.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Just thank Ben for acting like a pro and taking care of business at KU before he leaves. Ben is quoted earlier in the season as beginning to enjoy the school work also. The only way I see Ben staying is if he can graduate next year.

tis4tim 2 years, 7 months ago

It could also be that circumstances have pushed him toward "adult" life faster than he would ultimately like and he's relishing every moment he has on campus and soaking up as much as he can in the remaining time he has. I know you can always go back to school, but you can't always be a college-age kid. Unfortunately for Ben he's had to grow up quicker than probably most of us did. I just hope all the money he is soon to accumulate can help offset so much of what he is required to give up to get it.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

This is not insignificant, just because we've seen players in the past who have left campus after the season ended so that they can train and work out in improve their draft position. Selby is the first that comes to mind as he just took off after the season was over. Coach indicated that Selby had either finished his coursework early or would complete his courses via correspondence. I also think that the twins may have left early and perhaps Sherron as well.

One thing though that's different for McLemore is that he's already being touted as a guaranteed top 5 pick and likely #3 or better. In other words, he likely can't improve his draft position any more. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if after he announces his intentions to enter the draft and hire an agent if he expedites his coursework so that he can leave campus to start working out with the pro's.

What about the Seniors? Are they on campus going to class? Anybody know?

joeloveshawks 2 years, 7 months ago

Sunbake...Wichita St. puts the state on the map for college b ball? Why even bother posting all of this nonsense?

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

Because he's a troll and that's what trolls do. The best thing do in the case of trolls is to ignore them. Sometimes it's just a lot of fun to make fun of the ones that clearly haven't even gotten their GED's yet like this one.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

I like WSU just fine it's amazing for a mid major to make the final four and this makes twice for the Shox. Sunbaked, KU has been to 14 final fours and won a couple tourneys to boot. The posters on this board are informed and won't fall for your hyperbole. MU fans like you just need to do one thing; go to google and type in "Missouri final four". I love the response, "Did you mean KU final fours?"

jgkojak 2 years, 7 months ago

This is interesting D.J. Haley, 7-0, Jr., VCU

Unless he's a headcase, let Self at him for 3 years

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Take this for what it's worth (not much), but my younger brother hangs out partying in Lawrence often and he said the word is that Ben's coming back, and he informed Self of this fact before the tournament. Me and my brother both sort of scoffed at this, but it did open up a small seed of doubt within me, as I had previously considered him a 100% lock to declare for the draft.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

I wish that you hadn't said this.

I was fully prepared to bid him farewell to the NBA this afternoon. Now I feel the apprehension building.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

Question: If Ben McLemore returns for a sophomore season, what is Kansas' pre-season ranking?

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

If McLemore were to come back, KU would be somewhere around where they started last year in the bottom half of the top 10. Without McLemore, KU is about 10 spots lower in the 15-20 range.

Jason King puts KU at 20 right now sans McLemore

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

I would place KU in the 8-12 range in this case.

To be any better than that would depend on three things: 1. Coach's ability to teach freshman to guard. (Releford and Withey will be hard to replace) 2. Tharpe's shooting. (If Tharpe puts up 10+ shots a game and shoots 35% or less, that's a bad sign) 3. Perry's Progress. (If Perry plays like it's the post-season, we'll prevail.)

JayhawkRock78 2 years, 7 months ago

Rumors out of Lawrence tend to be wishful thinking by those "livin" the dream" during college years. Anyway, that's how I remember it. Odds are Ben is gone and I wish him nothing but the best.

Sunbake. Can't remember so much nonsense a single post. Maybe your name should be Brainbake???

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

I posted this yesterday, but it's something that I believe bears repeating. Ben McLemore's success at the NBA level is dependent upon Ben McLemore. Players who succeed at the NBA level succeed because of their own self motivation and drive to keep working on their game and fixing the weaknesses in their game. If Ben McLemore puts in the time and effort, which he can do exclusively in the NBA, to work on his game and make his hands better along with other areas of his game that are a weakness, then he can get a max contract on his second contract or be an impact player on an NBA title contender. If Ben McLemore doesn't have the self motivation and drive to work on his game, he will be a flame out, but that's true for any player in the NBA and not just incoming rookies..

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Found myself rooting strong for UM last night vs. no avail. Louisville was just stacked too deep with talent. Louisville beat UM without one of Louisville's good players. Inference: Louisville would have cleaned UM's clock had Louisville been at full strength.

Surprisingly, it was not a hideously dirty game. The refs let a lot contact go on, but it was as if both teams were told that since both teams were among those LARGE MARKET TEAMS permitted TO REACH THE FINALS, then Cheap Shotting in the main event would not be allowed. I didn't see one face rake by a Louisville player. Not one punch in the mouth of a player on his way to the floor by a Louisville player. Compared to the way Louisville played its semi final game, it was like watching a YMCA team play 20 years ago.

UM played surprisingly cleanly also...for a Big Ten team. Of course McGrary was banging and muscling inside and their perimeter defense depended on shouldering, of course, but all in all they played at least as cleanly as Self's teams do.

What stood out the most about both teams were the number of guys on both teams that wouldn't pass the eye test of KU fans. UM played Albrecht, Stauskas and one more guy that would quickly be given the Brady Morningstar treatment at KU.

And OMG Louisville had Luke Hancock, who looks more like an obstetrics intern than a D1 basketball player. But man could that Hancock launch...and guard...and play!!!

So: it seems that the guys that can't pass the eye tests are starting to proliferate among winning D1 teams and that perhaps the eye test needs to be changed.

Next, both teams had guys that did pass the eye test, but Louisville seemed to have an almost endless number of them. Louisville had so many it could win with one eye test passer on crutches. Really, I haven't seen that many eye test passers in the front court since Cal used to play ineligible guys at Memphis. This Louisville team seemed a carbon copy in fact of all of Cal's pre Derek Rose Memphis teams. It was really an impressive stream of L&As.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't know Jaybate. I was watching last night and recollected quite a few of your posts denouncing the xtreme muscle ball game that college basketball has evolved in to. My girlfriend and I more than once looked at each other and said "Jeez! They're not going to call that?!?"

Ironic considering Trey Burke was a non-factor in the first half due to a poor call on his 2nd foul.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

The thing I liked best about Louisville's stable of L&As in the front court was that though none of them seemed particularly gifted offensively, each one of them seemed to have been taught and to have mastered at least one offensive move. I much prefer this approach to Self's approach of giving some guys guns, and other guys nothing. This is what I would take away from the Louisville champions, if I were Bill Self. And I believe he will. Every big that comes on the floor must have at least one offensive move and he should use it, when it is open. Self's approach yields higher shooting percentages perhaps, but it makes his teams less consistently dangerous. Basically, UM had to guard everyone on Louisville, and they didn't have to guard everyone on KU. Most of Louisville's bigs frankly looked no more natural on offense than Jamari Traylor, and about as athletic (though longer than Jam Tray), but they each had one gun, one move, the opponent had to guard. If you stop and think about it, that stretches a defense inward just as much as trey shooters stretch a defense outward. It is the new future of offensive basketball. Everyone must have a move.

There is another lesson to be learned from the Louisville champions. Those that argue that full court pressing is a gimmick are now officially living in the past. Rick Pitino has shown the world how to full court press. The first ten minutes of each half you show it intermittently in a low intensity form to give your defenders a chance to get comfortable with the tendencies of the individual offensive players and with the tendencies of the offensive team's approach to breaking the press. The first 10 minutes are a feeling out period, like a heavy weight fighter taking the measure of an opponent. A smart opposing coach like Beilein told his guys to strike hard and fast the first ten minutes of each half to build a lead in preparation for Louisville's sweltering full court press with high intensity. Each time UM succeeded in building that lead. But each time, when the Louisville high intensity press was turned on, the UM offense based on 3pt shooting ground to a halt. Why? Because the UM shooters had tired themselves out building the lead; then when the press came on strong, the shooters legs quickly tired and UM's trey shooters started missing. The last ten minutes of the first half Beilein had UM keep trying to play its regular offense, and so blew their big lead. The minute a team full court presses, the offensive team must stop trey shooting and start driving and scoring inside. They must pick up fouls to create breaks in play and to make three point plays out of buckets and a free throw. Beilein's first half goof cost his team a national championship the second half.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Bill approach should have won the game. If EJ plays with his head in the game down the stretch KU wins. If someone makes a shot KU wins. If Bill or the bench calls a timeout instead of letting a ten second call happen, KU wins. I don't think it's time to change the trainer (Bill) when the horses were at fault. Those kind of mistakes are unfathomable for a senior to make. He's had four years of practice and preparation for that moment at some point the coach has to let the players play. It's like a parent sending their kid away from home after graduation; you have given them the proper morals and values, you taught them what you could and prepared them as best possible, you help where you can, but ultimately it's up to them to make the correct decisions.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Why do I say this?

Because the second half Beilein made the adjustment he was supposed to make. UM came out gunning and did okay the first ten minutes. But anytime Louisville went press the second half, UM promptly drove the paint or worked it inside and so hung in with the terrific Louisville press most of the first half. If UM had done the same thing the first half when it held a 12 point lead, it would almost certainly have gone into half at least 6-8 points up. That in turn would likely have forced Louisville to press from the beginning, to close that gap, or fall down 15 points with 10 to go in the second half. Either way, UM's performance in the second half would given them a slim lead at the end. Had Louisville tried to press from the beginning of the second half, then it would have been too tired to press effectively the last ten minutes. Conversely, had it fallen behind 15 with ten to go, UM was plenty good enough in its Princeton sets to have ground Louisville down and won at the wire. Beilein is a fine coach. As his career at UM unfolds he will increasingly be recognized as one of the best. But he made a major tactical error the first half and it cost his team and himself a national championship. He will learn this lesson, as surely as Self will learn the lesson of KU vs. UM; i.e., he must substitute the score down at the stretch even when seniors have to come out. ALWAYS...SUBSTITUTE...THE...SCORE...AT...CRUNCH...TIME. Things are happening too fast at crunch time to figure out how to help any player, senior or otherwise, unsnag their game. The guys that can play at crunch time play, even if they don't pass the eye test, even if they are freshman, even if Self doesn't like how they play. The movement of the score is the litmus test of function in any competitive game. But I digress on Bill and must get back to the UM-Louisville game.

The point to take home with you about Pitino and his press is this: Pittino has figured out a way to use m2m pressing the same way John Wooden used the 2-2-1 press. The first ten minutes of a game the press is used in weak form to set the tone of the game--to channel the game toward the last ten minutes of each half, wherein the opponent will contend with a withering, balls to the walls amount of pressure. This forces the opponent into thinking about the press from the opening tip off without having to actually burn up the entire energy budget trying to press an entire game. The press becomes the means to squeeze tempo up and to slow tempo down; i.e., to constantly keep the opponent from getting too comfortable, or in a groove. Self did this early in KU's season, but decided to abandon doing it, apparently because he decided that he wasn't going to have enough adequate depth to pull it off. Or maybe Self just decided that KU's real MUA was Jeff altering and blocking in half court sets, and so decided to abandon the intermittent pressing, to draw the opponent into Jeff ASAP.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

But even most Top Ten teams don't have a Jeff Withey. They have a lot of L&As though. And do if you channel the opponent into two ten minute stretches of pressing basketball with all those guys, then you can basically crush teams down both stretches and the first half really just becomes a practice half for the second ten minutes of the second half.

Pitino has been trying to perfect pressing for six years now. Early on he tried to press the full game. Then he tried to press high intensity intermittently. Now finally, he has discovered the magic formula.

First Ten Minutes: intermittent low intensity pressing Second Ten Minutes: intermittent high intensity pressing Third Ten Minutes: intermittent low intensity pressing Fourth Ten Minutes: high intensity pressing until they crack

This is a major coaching break through that Slick Rick has made.

Self will almost certainly emulate it, since he was already playing it the first half of the season.

Dr. Hudy, please do some more research into cardio vascular fitness, if you would, please. The boys are going to need it.

One last comment about the UM-Louisville game: Trey Burke is a great, great competitor. He appeared to be the only guy on either team that had the stuff of a Bill Self player. Like Tyshawn Taylor last year, he finally ran into a team with simply too many weapons, but man did he play hard and smart and courageously. I almost never say this about other players on other teams, no matter how great they may be.

I wish Trey Burke had been a Jayhawk.

Rock Chalk!!!

DCLawHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I think another reason Pitino presses less intensely the first ten minutes is to keep his team out of foul trouble.

HypedJhawk4ever 2 years, 7 months ago

Press conference usually means -Thanks for the Memories Kansas-Im taking the next step in my journey in life- Im heading to the NBA. With Rio gone, do we really think we really have a chance to get Wiggins? Please spare me. I will wear a dress to work if Wiggins chooses KU. Thanks to Ben for his legacy he will leave behind at KU. So who are these other players Self thinks he is going to sign?

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 7 months ago

McLemore had the prettiest shot in college basketball I've ever seen... along with Downtown Terry Brown;) Seriously though, Ben is off to the NBA. Regardless if he went to class, or not to class... hell he has a month left of an education- might as well use it

I think it's going to be mainly based on his family situation. If he stays, that's just one more year he can't take care of his family.

Regardless of a championship or inbound class, family is what's going to take him to the NBA this year.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 7 months ago

From the "not too early for 2013-2014 top 25" talk...not too bad considering how much we're losing, but #12 in USA Today's rankings (extremely high IMHO) and #20 in ESPN's rankings (maybe about right...still maybe a little too high).

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

That's all respect for Bill. KU's probably picked to win the conference too. And not one returning starter. Only one major contributor from last season, but Ellis was coming on strong and I still have high hopes for White III.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 7 months ago

They did mention they were afraid to write off Bill's ability to create a winner.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

16-20 is about where KU should be with their roster right now for next season and anybody that KU will realistically add. Move them up about 10 spots if McLemore stays or KU somehow lands Wiggins. Put them in the top 5 if McLemore stays and KU lands Wiggins (put as many zero's after the decimal as you want before putting 1 at the end for the odds of that happening).

joeloveshawks 2 years, 7 months ago

If B Mac stayed and we got Wiggins we go to #1 or #2. Not sure why we are even discussing it, though.

hawkmoon2020 2 years, 7 months ago

So far, the current lineup for next season looks like:

PG Tharpe, Frankamp SG Selden, White SF Greene, PF Ellis, Traylor C Lucas, Embiid

akgjenkintown 2 years, 7 months ago

He is talking now. He thanked everyone, including the fans. But Ben is going pro.

hawkmoon2020 2 years, 7 months ago

God speed, Ben. You will ALWAYS be in the hearts of Jayhawk Nation!

TysonHawk37 2 years, 7 months ago

Best of luck Ben! You absolutely made the right decision!

Chad Smith 2 years, 7 months ago

Ben Made the right decision to go. Now I just wanna see how our defense will evolve without withey. But tbh, I think it could be even better. in 2008, we had no true center. But with ellis and traylor coming back and our new center recruit along with some frontline players waiting to get their chance, you could see a rotation like that in the next year or two. We want players who can lock down. I really like Selden from what I've seen. I'm most intrigued by greene, he's got BRush type game and if he's near as athletic then he might be a treat. I'm already amped for next year!