Originally published October 15, 2012 at 11:18a.m., updated October 15, 2012 at 11:59p.m.

Big pick-up: Combo guard Wayne Selden commits to KU basketball

Mom, five-star recruit had great time at Late Night in Phog

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

Lavette Pitts, the mother of five-star basketball prospect Wayne Selden, figured big things were ahead for her oldest son the day he was born.

“He was 11 pounds, 4 ounces at birth,” Pitts revealed Monday in a phone interview discussing the 6-foot-51⁄2, 220-pounder’s oral commitment to play basketball at Kansas University.

“He’s a genuinely sweet kid, giving, respectful of others, real funny and so focused,” Pitts added in describing the elite combo guard out of Tilton (N.H.) School, who is rated No. 14 nationally by ESPN.com and No. 23 by Rivals.com. “He’s been that way from the time he was 4 or 5 years old.”

Selden, who chose KU over Ohio State, Florida, UCLA, Syracuse and Missouri, showed maturity in the way he handled the announcement of his oral commitment, which Monday classified as big news in the recruiting world.

“Blown away” by Friday’s Late Night in the Phog, the highlight of his weekend campus visit, Selden committed to KU coach Bill Self on Saturday night. However, he decided to fly back to his hometown of Roxbury, Mass., with his mom, dad Wayne, Sr., and godmother Edie Janas, to phone coaches from the other schools who were pursuing him.

“It was out of respect for the other schools: ‘Let’s not say anything until he makes these phone calls to give them the news,’” Pitts said. “It was hard for all of us to sit on it (news). We said, ‘Let’s be respectful of this process.’”

So after informing runner-up coaches and canceling some campus visits, Selden quietly — without the benefit of a lavish news conference — announced his decision to some national recruiting writers Monday before attending classes at Tilton.

“I felt it (KU) was the right fit for me as a person and player,” Selden told the Journal-World. “I knew coming into the visit Kansas was my leader, and, after meeting the players and coaches, I knew it was the right place for me. It’s like a family there.”

Selden’s close family members also gave thumbs-up to all aspects of the visit.

“I loved Late Night. I was more looking at it from a parent standpoint,” said Pitts, who works as a program director for “The Home for Little Wanderers,” which counsels inner-city youths in Roxbury, which is about an hour and a half drive from Tilton School’s campus.

“After I first walked in (to Allen Fieldhouse) I was overwhelmed by it. I said, ‘This is serious business here.’ As we sat there, the facility seemed to get smaller because of the family-type atmosphere.”

Meeting all the players and many of the players’ parents reinforced what Pitts felt on an in-home visit with Self and assistant Norm Roberts: that KU might be a special place.

“As the mother of an elite athlete, I had to deal with some people not necessarily on the up-and-up,” Pitts said. “To talk with coach Self and coach Roberts … I said after the visit, ‘Listen, I think that school is No. 1 at this point.’ We did know this is a process and wanted to go through the process. But as soon as Wayne walked in there (Allen Fieldhouse), looking so calm, I knew inside this is where he wanted to be and should be. My whole thing became, ‘Why continue to look?’ He loved the camaraderie of the team and coaches. I said, ‘If I’m not around, my child will still feel this nurturing feeling.’ I was in awe,” Selden’s mom added.

So she and Wayne Sr. gave their approval to end the recruiting process, with Wayne making just the one official visit. Selden’s 12-year-old brother, Anthony, who couldn’t make the trip because of a youth football commitment, also was fine with the decision.

“Going into the visit I knew it was my leader,” Selden said of KU. “After I talked to everybody there, I knew it was the right school for me.”

As far as the basketball part of the decision …

“I think I fit in well with their style of play,” Selden said. “My strengths would be able to initiate offense, be able to play well in the open floor. My weakness right now is probably rebounding and off-the-ball defense that I will continue to work on.”

As far as playing point guard or shooting guard, Selden said: “Wherever the coaches want me to play, I’ll play.”

Tilton coach Marcus O’Neil used Selden at various positions last season, including the point. Selden averaged 16 points (off 55 percent shooting), five assists and three rebounds a game his junior campaign.

“He has a unique combination of strength, speed and skill. He is a triple threat. He can shoot, drive and pass the ball,” O’Neil said. “He’s played point guard to power forward for us. He is a dangerous guy wherever he is on the floor.

“He’s a very good student and citizen on our campus. We think Kansas is getting an outstanding young man and extremely talented player, somebody who can contribute in a variety of ways. I like his versatility. He can put points on the board.”

As far as Selden, who gave up football at the age of 12, being known as a physical guard, O’Neil acknowledged: “He does a lot of pushing people around.”

O’Neil also is OK with Selden’s decision.

“Obviously, it (KU) has a long history of success, great tradition there,” O’Neil said. “Any time you speak to anybody from that staff ... they are impressive guys, professional. Kansas meets all the criteria. After talking with his family and evaluating all the colleges, their programs and academic offerings, he made the decision that is where he wanted to be.”

Selden certainly will be in the running for a spot in the McDonald’s All-America Game.

“I don’t really even know what position to call him, because he can play the point, because he’s good at pick-and-roll. He’s big enough to play the 3. He can play the 2,” Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Eric Bossi said. “I wouldn’t call him a shooter, but he’s a big-time athlete. He makes plays happen off the dribble. The kid’s 230 pounds, and it’s not because he’s chubby. So physically, he’s ready for college basketball.

“If anything, I would almost think a strength coach may want to try to lean him down by 10 pounds when he gets to college and really sculpt what he’s already got and try to add to his flexibility and quickness.”

Selden during the summer decided to reclassify back to the Class of 2013 after last year deciding to be in the Class of 2014.

“Originally it was me who asked him to reclassify,” his mom said. “I was concerned whether he could keep up academically. He got there (Tilton, after attending Roxbury’s O’Bryant High in 2009-10) and excelled and continued to do better and better. We decided to evaluate the situation and decided to go back to his original class of 2013 because he was academically ready and physically ready. He dominates a lot of times, especially high school kids.”

KU now has four commitments from players in the Class of 2013, with one left to award, more if any players leave the program early. The commitments are from: No. 22-rated Brannen Greene, 6-7 Tift County High, Forsyth, Ga.; No. 28-rated Conner Frankamp, 6-foot, Wichita North; and No. 131 Frank Mason, 5-11, Massanutten Military Academy, Petersburg, Va.

Comments

Andrew Washington 1 year, 6 months ago

Most posts I've ever seen for an article on this site.

Sally Presson 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome to KU Wayne. Your parents have placed you in the best place ever!! We take care of our athletes. HCBS and his staff will always have your best interest at heart and will give you the opportunity to succeed. The bottom line is the Jayhawks are a family and your Mom can rest easy knowing you're in such a great place. We're so glad you're coming to KU!!!

Rock Chalk

sillys 1 year, 6 months ago

like Todd replied I'm taken by surprise that anybody able to make $4399 in four weeks on the internet. have you seen this webpage Red97.c om

86Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

HEM, I got infinitely more comfortable with the Mason signing when we signed Selden. HCBS's head must be spinning with all of the backcourt options we will possess.

JB with Peters out early, possibly long term, I am looking forward to seeing KY's energy and athleticism. He is a senior, but I really feel he and Rio both have the opportunity to make Carl Lewis length strides this year.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't know about everyone else here, but I am getting a little tired of Kevin Young not getting a KU inch, or a KU ten pounds.

He's listed at 6-8 and 180!

Again!!!

If JamTray got bumped to 6-8 and 220, then Kevin deserves 6-9 and 200!

And if KY really is 6-8 and 180, then Andrea Hudy has finally found someone she can't beef up.

KY, eat up, man.

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

Peters to Maryland the day after the Seldon commits to KU.

Coincidence?

soapisurfriend 1 year, 6 months ago

I posted over the weekend that UK could have a commitment from Marcus Lee as early as Monday afternoon. Fortunately, we were the ones celebrating a commitment of our own, but it looks like I was only a couple days early with the Lee prediction. Nothing official yet, but it appears that Lee is going to announce tomorrow, presumably for Kentucky. Not sure this has much bearing on Randle, who again reaffirmed that he would play with the twins. PS Don't forget to watch (or set your DVRs for) the ESPN 30 for 30!

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

Selden came out and said he is actively recruiting Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon to come to Kansas with him. That's nice to know.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 6 months ago

Why can't all parents/handlers be like Mrs. Pitts? Wow, what a classy lady.

William Blake 1 year, 6 months ago

I've been carrying a huge smile ever since Wayne committed... because I see 220 lbs of Final Four coming our way!

No one in the country is going to be able to contain Wayne Selden...

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 6 months ago

This is all you need to know about Cal's supposed coaching to get his kids into the NBA lottery. The kid from Turkey, Enis Kanter didn't play a minute yet was still taken 3rd in the draft. This supposed bullcrap line that Cal coaches them up is nothing but a myth. If anything, his players if they stay a second year like Lamp and Jones were drafted lower than if they left after their first year. IF the NBA/NCAA ever changes the rules allowing high schoolers to go directly to the NBA, Cal will be toast because he'll have to learn to coach lesser talents.

I like Cal since he was a grad asst at Kansas and his wife worked in the KU athletic office but other than that, he's a shamless self-promoter rather than a chill professional like Coach Self.

1jhawk2 1 year, 6 months ago

I love you Mrs. Pitts! Just another gracious parent who understands what's best for their children.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

I have seen the speculation about Selden as a point guard. I don't buy it.

Selden is listed as a shooting guard, and in some spots, a small forward. Recent info says he's a good ballhandler, but I've also seen where that's not a strength. Selden idenfied it as a main part of his game that he needs to work on.

To jb's point about expectations .. don't expect this guy to be a point guard. No more than we expected Releford, or McLemore, or White to be a point guard. He's not, and they're not It sounds sexy. Just don't expect it.

Self identified "point guard" as a need, for a reason. Ballhandlling.

You just don't get tossed out into high D-I competition and become a solid ballhandler. It's wildly different. Tharpe was a highly regarded ballhandler. He learned very quickly that handling the ball against D-I competition is much different than in AAU or high school. It is psychotic how tense the pressure is .. just many times getting it past half court. And then delivering a pass. Point guards are a different breed. Ballhandling is the most important, and most difficult skill on the court.

Just my opinion. Personally, I'd love to see Selden be that sort of player. He just strikes me as the perfect combo guy.

Another subject ... just a thought ... any chance Self saw how Missouri played. Four guards. How hard it was to match up. And that he's considering that sort of look as a primary consideration. For example, Tharpe, Selden, McLemore, White, Ellis? Or Frankamp, Adams, McLemore, Greene, Peters? Yikes.

Remember, they dictated that matchup. We couldn't hang defensively with TRob and Withey out there. Speed beat heighth.

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe Self has a heart to heart with Mason and convinces him that he should go someplace else after all, freeing up another scholly for both Embiid and Randle (or Gordon) for this 2013-14 Fantasy Line-Up!

1-Selden 6'5" 2-McLemore 6'5" 3-Ellis 6'8" 4-Randle 6'9" 5-Embiid 7"

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Having read through these 340+ posts, I am well aware of the debate regarding one or two and done commitments vs. recruitment of the probable 3 or 4 year players. And, yeah, I admit to the probability of my being overjoyed at the future signing of a Roberson, Randle or Gordon to fill one of our big positions. That said, I might side with a minority of LJW posters which delights in the manner in which Bill Self and Co. recruit and develop "project" players. And I am more than somewhat disgusted at the manner in which Kentucky has lured a full deck of spectacular recruits annually to load the cannon vs. other Division One contenders. The game flops out of competitive tilt with such overloading. Championships sullied. To wit, I remain hopeful that a Joel Embiid commits to the Jayhawks, and that he strives mightily to become one of the best big men in the land. Lawrence is a relatively peaceful community which espouses a fine university and magnificent hoops program to promote his development. In 3 or 4 seasons he could become as memorable a name as any of the big men in the Bill Self era. Fans would bond with him and delight in his annual progress. Josh and Xavier were terrific acquisitions...but long gone before we barely knew them.

ArgyleJayhawks 1 year, 6 months ago

Bill Self can't recruit anymore!

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Surprises me that LJW or local student press didn't backlog some Selden family comments to dredge up for subsequent articles, if or when Wayne were to commit. Great quotes available to influence or impress family members of other current and future recruits.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Would be very beneficial for Jayhawk recruiting to see every topnotch visiting recruit bring along an influential parent or advisor to attend Late Night or a game in The Phog. It appears that Wayne Selden's accompanying family was thrilled with the packed house, time, place and action. No dillydallying aftermath re a long wait for commitment.

shinguard 1 year, 6 months ago

Seldon is already doing some recruiting for us. I love this guy!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

One can really get high, however, thinking about Selden at PG, flanked by White and Greene/Frankamp. The combination of height, strength, speed and shooting this foursome offers, even without BenMac coming back, staggers the brain.

I know the traditional move is to put Frankamp at the point, because of size, but having watched Frankamp only a bit in feeds, I don't see him with point guard strength by next season. I seem him spending a year as a designated gunner backup at 1 and 2, while Hudy muscles him up, then maybe becoming a PG, depending on what the recruiting cat drags in, his soph/junior/senior years.

With 6-6 White and 6-7 Greene, plus short, long-range bomber Frankamp on the wings, Selden's "not a shooter" attribute at the point could be quite tolerable.

But Self really, really, really does not like to put freshman in positions of great responsibility (e.g., Xavier and Josh) and leadership.

In closing, we all need to take a deep breath, ease off on the expectations on Selden, and not put him in the Kenny Gregory Overexpectation Box.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Self must not sign a Cat Barber grade PG in the next class. BenMac must choose to jump rather than stay and become a PG. Anrio Adams must stay so strung out by Self's wasp tongue, that he does not pull his Dwyane Wade game together. Conner Frankamp must not become the next John Stockton. Naadir and Frank Mason must not develop into great distributing, solid defending, point guards with credible D1 treys. And so on.

Regardless, though, Wayne Selden better be prepared for the same stretch in the toughening box that Tyshawn went through. Self clearly wanted this guy bad enough to spell out a very comprehensive future for him at KU--and apparently a very sexy one.

So: I think Self will probably play Selden all around the perimeter the way he did Tyshawn in his first couple years (maybe see some 3 that Tyshawn did not see), if Selden lasts that long. But I believe the grand plan is give Selden the same 360 development that Tyshawn got for two years, then, if Selden stays put, to turn him into the same kind of every night MUA point guard that Self turned TT into. The alternative scenario is that he develops a trey gun by his sophomore season, then the NBA wets its pants about him and drafts him after two seasons. And to make sure Self got Seldon to commit, he probably said, "Wayne, the point guard position is open to all comers. Can't promise you'll get it, but right now you look as good as any of the guys we've got coming back, or coming in. Not better, but as good. But down stream, if you don't jump after the first, season, I see you being a difference maker at the point for us, like what Tyshawn became for us, only two inches taller and way stronger."

Selden could get lucky and go straight to point, because their is no returning 5 star at point for KU next season, as Tyshawn faced in Sherron. Put another way, Cat Barber not coming may have cleared a path for Wayne at the point.

But Self really likes experience at the PG, so maybe it will be Ben, or Naadir, or Anrio, then Wayne at the point, with Wayne showing up at the 2 and 3 also. Hard to say. Lots of bodies everywhere now.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Further, there IS always the CHANCE that Selden can blow up his trey the way Magic finally did in the pros. Magic found he could set shoot from trey at a level of accuracy that could off set his less than stellar J from trey. I reckon Seldon could too, at least in college.

But becoming a 38-42% trey jump shooter is probably HARDER to learn than even jumping in the age of Hudy. Remember, Hudy can add about 2-4 inches on anyone's vertical, as she proved with the Twins. And she can really develop agility, though she still does not seem to be able to do much with straight line speed.

Frankly, Mario Chalmers is the only guy KU has had in the Self years that started out a 38%er from trey his freshman and soph years and turned himself into a plus 40%er after getting cut from that international try out. But Chalmers is one of the kings of getting better, and obviously more driven than 90% of the guys on the planet.

The point about Selden to hold fast to, and I am sure you and I will agree on this, is: without a 40% trey gun, Selden is at the worst another Travis Releford/Kenny Gregory, and potentially KU's first truly long and strong PG; and if Selden can develop a 40% trey gun at any point, he becomes an All-American and, depending on his level of competitive greatness, a once in a generation point guard.

This I believe is the reality of Wayne Selden.

Its crucial to note that Self has apparently told the LJW staff to call him a "Combo Guard." Combo Guard is always used to hold down expectations of a player and of fans that long and strong perimeter player will start at the point.

Combo guard is code for: he's a perimeter player that might play point someday if everything were to break right, but the chances are he will play the 2 or 3.

Calling a guy a combo guard is like saying Julian Wright, Marcus Morris and Perry Ellis will play some 3 and 4. Its Self's way of diffusing the yearning in players with tons of ability to play a sexier position that can probably be played by someone else, whereas the player in question is probably going to have to play the less sexy position.

Self obviously believes Selden has the getting better gene; that Selden is, like Tyshawn Taylor, a person possessing such a rare combination of physical abilities that he is a guy worth worth investing major time on the long shot that with enough development and rounding out he might become an every night MUA at the point.

But a lot has to happen for a combo guard to actually be given the point, or for a 4 to be actually given the 3 full time.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

"Don't Put Wayne Selden in the Kenny Gregory Over Expectation Box"

bbob,

I am pumped about Selden, but I don't want board rats to get the let downs, the way they did with Kenny Gregory once upon a time. Gregory was a perfectly good wing with an average J, but not remotely a D1 trey threat. It meant that he could not be the devastator on the outside and inside a la Michael Jordan that everyone had moisture fantasies about.

Selden in high school is like Gregory, only with more muscle and better ball handling skills. In high school, Selden is even a bit like Magic Johnson was in college. He is so physically overwhelming that he can take any HS guard inside and wreck him, the way Magic could take any college guard inside and wreck him, too, even without an outside shot.

But in D1 it will get much harder for Selden, because while he will still be able to muscle the D1 guards, he will be limited by guard/big man doubles in the paint.

What I mean by this is that without a serious trey threat in D1, the guards just layoff and stay with you into the paint. You can't blow by guys the way Jordan could, because they won't respect the trey shot, even with the great legs and good ball handling skills Selden appears to possess already.

So: even though Selden will be stronger than his opposing defender in PG, as is, say, Travis Releford, without the trey gun, the weaker defender simply takes away the strong hand drive, forces Selden/Releford to the weak hand, funnels him to the big, who always knows where the great athlete without a trey gun will be forced to go, and boom, the great athlete that can hit his head on the rim, gets boxed in and has to kick out. We see this phenomenon again and again with seemingly great wing recruits. Travis finally had to learn to play an old man's game, despite his fabulous athleticism, in order to get on the floor.

(Note: if Travis' injuries heal and he has developed a trey gun, then Travis Releford will go absolutely monster this year. He's got everything else. But without the trey gun, he's going to be much the same player he was last season, but with more bounce if he's uninjured.)

Again, my remarks here are in no way meant to be a party pooper about Selden. I was/am more excited about him than just about anyone from the moment I first saw him. I remain so. He is a can't miss addition to KU's team in the same way that Kenny Gregory and Travis Releford were. Gregory and Releford are so incredibly good in so many ways, that despite the lack of a trey gun, they were/are must have guys on the floor, simply because they can defend, board and get up on the glass whenever the games go vertical and can learn a horizontal game to make up for the lack of a trey gun.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

UKALLDAY, BBall2012, DRSmith: Please tell me WHY are you Kentucky guys here???!!! Jeez. Look, enjoy your program, enjoy your coach, celebrate the '12Championship, and have an injury-free season this year. Y'all welcome here to talk basketball, but realize if comments are snippy, you will get sniped at right back. Just don't understand what you "get" from visiting another royalty program's fan site, and getting into sniping contests. Get this: most of us have NEVER posted stuff on UNC, Duke, KY, UCLA, Syracuse websites--why would we? (Because we got plenty of details about our own players, recruits, injuries, lineup ponderings to keep ourselves busy, thats why). My ONLY thoughts on Kentucky are two: 1) Continue to give Mizzoo that royal blue beatin' they deserve and cannot escape from, and 2) Hope your team plays well, maybe we'll meet up in the Tourney. As Self says: "should be a great game". Seriously, you guys on our site makes me think you are lacking something--and you shouldn't be. Act like a blueblood. Quit sniping at the few fellow royalty programs that exist. It should be about the hardwood. We dance every single year. A 1 or 2 seed almost every single year. I would say the same about the current KY program. SO, why are you here? Please explain.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

Roddy Peters announced for the terps this morning. I'm a little surprised only because of the timing of it. I was thinking that Peters probably wasn't seriously considering us, but the second we recruited over him, he gives his pledge to the Turgeon. Maybe we were in his top 2? Oh well. Hard to care about some of the misses with where we are right now.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

(cont)

Skill wins in basketball. Not height. Just because a guy is near 7 foot is not a reason to prioritize him over a better player, a few inches shorter. trustyourSelf above said we have a number of 6'8"/6'9" guys.Yes, but the key is having a number of GOOD 6'8"/6'9" guys. Not a number of adequate 6'8"/6'9" guys.

I do not have a crystal ball on Embiid or on our collection of low/unranked post players. That's why I would trust the better player now. We have special seasons shaping up. I wouldn't risk it on a project, at the expense of a better player now (if we have the choice).

But I'm betting that if Self had his way .. trust in Self .. he'd take Gordon or Roberson over Embiid. And he would take Jermaine Lawrence over Embiid if we were still on Lawrence's radar. The key is, do we have that choice?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Fresh off the Selden hangover .. post concerns?

Doylegasm. Embiidgasm. The same "gasm?" No. Near 7 footers are different. I do get that.

But seriously .... folks ranking Embiid over Gordon, or Randle, or Roberson on their wish lists? I fear the Kool-Aid is spiked. Or perhaps it's just the normal giddiness that follows a recruit saying we're now at the top of their list. It's not the "trust in Self" crowd. It's the "anytime we're wanted, I'll be excited" crowd. Kidding a bit there. Near 7 footers create excitement.

First, remember, we're Kansas. We should be arrogant, but in a nice way. We should just have higher expectations. We shouldn't deal with projects. Forget projects. Projects are for K-State.

I posted above why I would easily want Tyler Roberson (appx. #28) over Embiid. Why he should be our all-out target. A potential 3 year player. But I'd easily, without hesitation, take likely OAD Gordon over Embiid, too. And I'm not big on potential OADs. We might get two years out of Gordon and he would start immediately. Like first game of 2013 without even a doubt. Talent does that. And that's what we're lacking in the post for 2013.

If we had Kaleb Tarczewski on our roster; or even Angelo Chol, instead of Jamari Traylor or Landen Lucas; or if Chris Walker or Karviar Shephard had commited instead of Mason, I'd probably be on board. But we don't. Our only top big man for 2013 right now is Perry Ellis. Otherwise, we have a collection of low/unranked guys (Peters, Lucas,Traylor, Wesley). That's a weakness. Plain and simple, it is a lack of highly skilled bigs. It's roll the dice and hope. We can hope one exceeds his ranking (Iike our chances there on one), or that they develop, etc., etc. But look at us now .. We have lost Peters. Imagine that, and not having Withey or Young. Right, one injury and bam .. your post future is with Lucas and Traylor and Wesley.

Above, jaybate had a nice response on Embiid. A project, but if he develops, or even shows signs ... he'll be NBA bound. His physical attributes make him an attractive get in the NBA. If he develops, he'll be able to bolt the minute that development shows.

TexasHawk10 said he understood Embiid was going to jump into the top 50. I hadn't seen or heard anything like that. But he made a good point that Self seems to like/operate better with the shot blocker in the middle. I don't disagree with that. But we won a title without that .. Kaun off the bench was the closest thing to that. And remember how much Self likes the offense to go through the post. You need skill for that. Arthur, Aldrich, Morris, Morris, TRob. All top 50 guys.

(cont)

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

Good interview with EJ from Sporting News:

Gotta say, every time EJ opens his mouth, I love the kid more and more. Whatever happens in his pro career, one day he's going to be another fantastic Kansas made coach.

archercc 1 year, 6 months ago

Damn, watching some of his videos he is a big ass guard. He will be able to go in and challenge guys at the 3 spot. And this is in high school, lord knows how much muscle he will be able to put on once Hudy gets time with him.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

Would be interesting to see Selden and Randle play in a game together, the way Frankamp and Selden love to pass if they were all on the same team could be an assist show that would make Randle feel at home.

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

After watching all the videos posted/on youtube......i don't think this kid dunks enough

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I am cranked to see how Bill Self tweaks his system and positions his 2013 lineups.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Morning after caveat on Wayne Selden:

"I wouldn't call him a shooter."--Marcus Neil Selden's HS coach

This is probably the chink in his armor...what keeps him from being Sherron with 6 more inches...from being Top 5.

But Magic had this problem and worked his way through it! :-D

MrMario15 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow! Mr. Self, you have done it again with your fabulous recruiting abilities. Keep up the excellent work

Nick Hamill 1 year, 6 months ago

I personally enjoy reading the UK troll posts, because it only increases the gratitude I have toward my parents for raising me a Jayhawk.

Nick Hamill 1 year, 6 months ago

PG - Selden SG - Selden SF - Selden PF - Selden C - Selden

I'm joking, but seriously am I?

jbal32 1 year, 6 months ago

So why in the hell are we getting UK posters on here?? Worried that much about this recruit that you guys didn't even recruit that hard?? I thought Kansas was a boring place to live but crap, you guys all out of moonshine or something? I'm not on your board posting garbage. Go talk trash to Misery A-holes, or look at pictures of Calapari and touch yourselves. But seriously piss off and let us be!!!!

Joel Thomas 1 year, 6 months ago

Not sure what we can expect, but he's a beast in his videos. Unreal athleticism. Btw anyone see they're doing a 30 for 30 on the Naismith rules tomorrow on ESPN?

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 6 months ago

Since getting back from work I've probably watched all of the highlights of Selden on the web. I'm trying hard to understand how he is not considered one of the five best in this class.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 6 months ago

Kirk Hinrich range 10 is right. Get out of our message board no one wants you here bad mouthing Bill Self. How can you question recruiting? Cause he doesn't cheat like coach Cal?

86Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Saw a tweet today between Dave Telep and Andy Elias and Telep said that the reason Cauley and Ojeleye were not interested in KU is because their AAU team is not interested in KU (MO-Kan Elite).

I believe this has been discussed on here before.

JayHok 1 year, 6 months ago

Jayhawk nation is waking up.

Now all we need is one of those paid programs purchased online from India that Calipari uses to bump up his twitter followers. It's like $100 per 20,000 followers, NPR reported on it last Thursday.

Next up. Another shot-blocking 7 footer!

741hawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Over 200 comments so far. The support of Kansas BB is stupendous.

DDDHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Wayne- Welcome to the fold! We can't wait to have you join the team! Rock Chalk!

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 6 months ago

On a basketball note, ESPN is airing a "30 for 30" documentary about James Naismiths' rules of basketball and how they got "home".

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

YES!!! Jumping up and down, shaking my fists in the air! YES!!!!

JayHok 1 year, 6 months ago

Go Coach Self!

Shaping up to be a solid class. Would love to see Emblin join the fold. As it stands, I'm confused at why we Jayhawk fans continue to allow UK fans to bash what Self did with X Henry or Selby with one year without giving them the facts. Both were injury plagued their entire freshmen seasons, Selby especially and that's not even bringing into it the fact that Selby sat out 9 games. Jayhawk nation never saw either one play completely healthy at Allen Fieldhouse and especially in the NCAA tourney. Not once!

William Blake 1 year, 6 months ago

I am so psyched!

Welcome to the Jayhawk Nation, Wayne!

Yowieeeeee!

Dan Harris 1 year, 6 months ago

I watched a lot of Marcus Smart over the last couple of years and Selden reminds me a lot of him. Great get Coach Self and welcome aboard Mr Selden!!

UKALLDay 1 year, 6 months ago

Congrats from a UK fan....this guy is a PLAYER!!! I was hoping he would not reclassify so we could get him in "14". I know Coach Self is a really good coach but I question his recruiting (especially after not recruiting Willie Cauley) but this is a really big deal. KU will love this guy!

Casey Gee 1 year, 6 months ago

So since he moved up from the class of 2014 to the class of 2013 does this mean that he has to stay at least 2 years?

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 6 months ago

Made my day. This kid has the body, brains, skills, personality...love it. Very god day for KU ball. Late Night snags another recruit!

AsadZ 1 year, 6 months ago

On a different note does anyone has a link to this year's Late Night Video? Thanks in advance

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 6 months ago

Wayne is a good name for a Jayhawk. I believe there's been at least one other noteable Wayne on the court at AFH. And, I believe one had the same initials, oddly enough!

Andrew Washington 1 year, 6 months ago

Are we leading for Gordon, where are we with Randle??

Scott Smetana 1 year, 6 months ago

Yee Haw!
Now all we need is for Peyton to crush Crybaby Rivers tonight, then it's a great sports day!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

The personal quote by Selden speaks volumes...the fact he was "overwhelmed to an extent" with emotion by the whole AFH crowd and the tradition--> THIS is exactly the type of top30 recruit we love. Look, many of those guys Calipari signed probably could care less about our LateNight, and thus you cannot expect them to jump at Self's offer. (See Selden's tweet about "thank god for the opportunity".) Ditto for Tarc. Came to LateNight, and sat stone-faced the whole time...kinda reminded me of CarlHenryFace...(not good). I was never, ever surprised Tarc chose elsewhere. But Selden loved us, what he experienced, wants to be a part of it, and bought into the Selfball work-ethic (obviously). Freakin' awesome. THIS is the top20ish type of recruit I love getting. That curious chemistry of wanting the ones that "want ku".

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 6 months ago

Unbelievable! And to think we could have been posting here next March waiting to hear word from Seldon (and others.) What a relief, and what a HUGE get for Kansas Nation! Anyone else is pure gravy, and that's a nice position to be in. Can't imagine Randle or Gordon heading to KU as both seem probable for OAD status. But I don't know squat. I do know that JoJo would be another quality get, and definitely a 2-4 year guy depending on progress and hoopla . . . and Hudy!!! Fact is now we need a PF and/or C to round the class out. Will a bonafide PF come when we still have capable PF's in Ellis, Traylor, Peters, and Wesley? I say there's room to showcase their talents, AND develope their skills further . . . but 4 veterans is hard to penetrate.

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

If Seldon can indeed play the point it makes Frankamp at the 2 much more possible.

I've always slated Frankamp as a point because i didn't believe Self would allow a guard to give up the 4-5 inches in his defensive match up to play him at the 2. With Seldon, the two can just switch matchups on the defense end and put the smaller Frankamp on the opposing point and the 6'5 Seldon on the opposing off guard.

I'll predict right now we will rarely see Frankamp/Tharpe on the court at the same time.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

The fact that Selden chose KU over Ohio State, Florida, UCLA and Syracuse speaks volumes.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

See, the ranking is nice, isn't it? Come on .. you "rankings doubters" out there. You care about his ranking a little bit now? Just a bit? Sure you do. You've looked. It's below 30. You can't resist, you've looked. It's below 20 in some places. Pleasing is the word. You like seeing three Jayhawks up that high. And you'd like another one. Of course you would. You're intrigued. Mason was, well, nice. You could weave a story. But this is different. It's a bit intoxicating, isn't it? It speaks for itself. It really is ok. We understand. We accept you. Rankings do matter.Say it with me. And there's no shame in admitting it. We won't think less of you.

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

ATTN: LJW

if your going to make a Sheron Collins comparison. This is the guy you do it with.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

I haven't been this excited about a recruit in a long time. That's a man right there! I don't care what his ranking is, this guy was my number one, Christmas list must-have.

The things that Bill Self could do with a 235 pound sharp-shooting, Magic Johnson-passing, dunk-contest-winning guard, come conference play...

If we land Embild, It's time to break out a cigar and a bottle of 18 year old Talisker.

Ryan Sullivan 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeeeeeeeeeeees!

Or as Bob Davis might say "Swiiiiiiiiiiiiish!"

Wayne, you are absolutely right about the connection between the program and the fans. You have great instincts. And we welcome you into the arms of Jayhawk Nation.

Alohahawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Have a hypothetical question: With the major portion of BB recruiting soon winding down (with just one KU scholarship left unclaimed for next season - barring NBA jumps or transfers), and with the season just around the corner, towards what portion of Self's performance as KU's head coach will BennyBob redirect his dissatisfaction? His discontent?

Don't give yourself away too soon, BennyBob. Let us posters guess first. Look at it this way. You'll get a free psychoanalysis.

I'd say it will have something to do with players playing out of position: A 3 playing at the 4, or a 2 playing at the 1.

FarSideHawk, I'll take Embiid 1st (because he's not an OAD), followed really close by Gordon (who is). With Randleis 3rd, only because he seems out of reach.

Robert Brown 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm not sure what this says about our fan base:

Comments submitted within three hours of posting of an article on a BASKETBALL recruit that no one here really knows and who will not play for at least another year: Over 120

Most comments submitted in the 40+ hours to any article referring to the football game this past weekend: About 70.

I imagine that most people only know what the recruiting sites say about these guys and they are not always right. It appears the fan base has more enthusiasm speculating about the 2013-14 basketball season than discussing our current football team.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Am I the only one here who would rather have Tyler Roberson than Joel Embiid?

It's not a tough call for me. I don't like developmental players, even with arguably better upside, when you have a top 30ish guy right there. If it was the #75 guy vs. Embiid? Ok. But not Roberson.

Roberson looks like a guy that would be a real active 4. Could pair him with Ellis as 4 and 4a (see Jackson and Arthur). Better yet, he's a top 30 player. Skills ready now. Surely understands that if he doesn't develop in college, he won't play in the NBA. Best place to develop .. KU. Best place for available playing time on his list as a freshman .. KU. We need a top level, highly skilled post player.

Let's give Roberson the guarantee that we're out of the Randle mix. We won't recruit over him in this class. Lock him down.

Of course, Aaron Gordon would be great, too. Personally, I'd rather have Roberson for 3 years than Gordon for 1. Or waiting on Embiid for a full year or two to be a rotation guy, with the end product a pretty big wild card.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

What a great four days to be a Kansas Jayhawk BBall fan and alumni and a life-long St. Louis Cardinal season ticket holder!!!!!! Heck, even the Hawks and Rams football teams did not embarass themselves!!

Regarding the choices above, 1. JO JO, 2. JO JO, 3.JO JO.

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

Think about this back court:

1 - Seldon 6' 5" 2/3 - Mclemore 6' 5" 2/3 - White 6' 6" 2/3 - Greene 6' 6"

That is NBA size right there. throw in frankamp and you've got arguably the best trio of snipers in the contry between him White and Greene.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Great surprise, when I finally got a chance to log on to the website late in the day!

So we have only one more scholarship to give?

Who is at the top of your wish list? Even though Randle and Gordon are listed higher, I would prefer Embiid as a more longer term prospect and a true center.

1. Embiid
  2. Randle
  3. Gordon

Would love to see others' leaderboard!

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Where are all the Self-doubters in recruiting top ranked players?

bennybob? others?

How many more do we need bennybob? ranked high enough? You prefer the top 10-15, maybe 25 to bring home the NC? -LOL

We have Gordon, Peters, and Randle left to commit. Embiid seems high on KU too.

Rock Chalk

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

Made my day, my week, my month and my year. This kid freakin' excites me. I recently saw an article suggesting he should be in the argument for the number 1 player in the country based on his performances the past year.

Alohahawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I believe: I must salute Mr. Selden with a huge 'ALOHA', for his very astute choice of where he will play college basketball.

I believe: I made this prognosis (about a month go), when I posted that I had this feeling inside that Selden would chose KU. (Boy-O-Boy! If only I could predict everything that accurately!)

I believe: That the love and desire shown by most of the posters on this board, that Selden was at or very near the top of their recruit lists, may have greatly influenced Wayne's choice to attend KU. Maybe even as much as Late Night did. Late Night was probably the icing on the cake, which had been baking over the last few weeks. I assume he had been reading our numerous posts beforehand, which declared so much hope that Wayne would chose KU, that it could only have jump-started his decision. The Jayhawk Nation has come through magnificently, on this board and in AFH.

I believe: That Wayne's decision could, as mentioned above, significantly benefit KU's recruiting. Embiid has already stated KU is leading on his list. And if there was any sort of connection made between the two during their visit to Late Night, Selden's commitment could help solidify JoJo's keeping KU at the top. And then again, perhaps the same could be said about any connection with Gordon. "Oh, what a tangled web Self weaves"!!!

I believe: That Selden will be a Jayhawk for at least 2 years, but he'll jump to the NBA before his 4th year. Obviously, that means he will have a great career as a Jayhawk.

I believe: If JoJo Embiid were to chose KU, that Self would have an elite combo of former KU great's names from the past - Wayne and JoJo. Plus, Self already has a 'White' on the roster, so he just needs to add a 'JoJo' ?

I believe: That as long as KU can hold court this season, that the following season should be a no-brainer, and KU will win its 10th straight Big 12 Conference BB Championship, and should make it to a Final Four, or higher. (Hummm. Here I go predicting again.)

I believe: In HCBS, and in his assistants. When in doubt, believe in one Self." Pun intended.

Brian Stoops 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, great - some excellent recruiting news.

Just what I needed...............another reason to procrastinate on some much needed studying!

iamakufan 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome, Wayne! Just the kind of young man we like to have at Kansas.

nwhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

What are you thinking if you're Frank Mason today?

Jay Dogger 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome to KU, Wayne!

Well done, Coach Self and staff!

I still believe BenMac will stay another year but even if he doesn't there won't be as much concern. I really think BenMac could use another year to polish his game and become a leader. And I'm sure he'll play more here than in the NBA as a rookie!

Selden will fit great in Self's system and with this team. This is a Big Deal for KU Hoops.

It's a great day to be a Jayhawk!

Jocelyn Kennedy 1 year, 6 months ago

As emotional I get and overwhelmed even after countless Late Night events - how could anyone not be caught up and want to come to school here??? I'm so happy!!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 6 months ago

He passes the ball like Magic. ROCK CHALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Rist 1 year, 6 months ago

anybody want to guess the starters?

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

This is ridiculously good news for Jayhawk nation! Congrats to Bill Self and his staff for all their hard work this recruiting season.

If you are indeed a KU fan, this is the part where you stop complaining about Bill Self missing out on recruits.

Sure, we can all look at UK and see that they have the best recruiting class in the nation (yet again). No surprise there. But at this point, if we complain about Bill Self's recruiting this season, we are really just showing how entitled we've become at Kansas. You can't ask for a coach to do more than what Bill Self is doing right now.

This is huge for the program here at KU. Selden looks like the perimeter-player version of TRob. I can't wait to see him in beast-mode at KU. And it sounds like a high-caliber post-player is on the way too.

Bill Self is setting himself up for another championship run.

Rock Chalk!

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation Mr Selden

JHAWK34TRUTH 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome to the family Wayne!

ROCK CHALK

Chris1955 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome Wayne Selden! Our Rox Chalk Jayhawk! I wonder if a certain Boston Celtic had any conversations with Wayne?

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

Scout ranks Selden at number 13 and ESPN ranks him at the number 14 spot. Get with the program, Bossi !!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

Hard to overestimate the significance of guard play in the tournament. We've gotten killed by guard combos in the past from Rhode Island (Cutino Mobley/Tyson Wheeler) to Arizona (Bibby & Simon) to Gerry freaking McNamarra, and so on. I know Withey's blocks were crucial last year, but I'm excited at the thought of our guard skills and depth come tourney time.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

Come on, Mr. Gordon...just cut to the chase and commit to KU...you KNOW you want to!

Rock Chalk 1 year, 6 months ago

Passing along tweets from Conner and Wayne Selden read on the message boards. Haven't seen them here yet:

Conner Frankamp ‏@CFrankamp_23

S/O to @WayneSelden23 for committing to the best school in the country! #ROCKCHALK

@WayneSelden23

kucmb !! Thank God for the opportunity !! Rock Chalk

Love them!

JHAWKNPHX 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome to the family Wayne RCJHK!!!!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

This guy can play a 1, 2, or 3. Has handles. Got size. Picked SelfBall shortly after LateNight experience. What's more to like? See "courtvision" (check highlight tape...absolutely SICK passing ability. Imagine 6'5 PG who can penetrate NBA-smooth, yet can assist like few can...Frankamp can kamp out at the 3 line. All good: either a penetration boom! Or a 3bomb! To quote WildBill: "recruit players that can go make plays, so you dont have to run so many (set) plays". That whole "go get a bucket" or dribble penetration ability...makes us very dangerous w/ball in this kid's hands. Same for Frankamp. I know less about Brannen Greene...but, man, am I stoked!

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 6 months ago

I find it fascinating that when we miss out on someone a lot of people cry that we can't get the big recruits or that we get a point guard no one likes that we aren't recruiting the BIG boys. Everyone will start screaming the sky is falling as if Self sucks as a coach, can't recruit and that we won't make the final four or win the Big 12. Obviously, I am being a bit facetious.

We just finished our 8th consecutive year as Big 12 Champs and went to the Final Four and held our own against a vastly superior team in the National Championship game. In hindsight we overachieved last year realistically with our team, but Self knows what he is doing and knows what type of players he needs to continue being highly successful. We are all day dreaming of starting line ups and rotations, which I am in the same boat because we all know how much talent is coming onto this campus in addition to the talent we now have. With White, Ellis, Peters, Big Mac, Tharpe, and Lucas(yes they will be good eventually) along with Traylor we already have the makings of a highly talented team. Next year's additions will add to the talent pool even more so.

As far as Kentucky, the program mostly lives off of OAD's while Kansas likes to bring guys along for the long haul and that is just the differences in our programs, which also effects recruiting for both schools. Both programs know what they want and they go out and get it. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we get back to the Final Four and there is Kentucky waiting for us again, but as we have shown before as Jayhawks we take each challenge head on and always will. Enjoy the moments and cherish what we have because we have something special.

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

No mention of a HAT ceremony. Yeah!!! Here are some excerpts from his chat with ESPN.

Selden is comfortable in a small-town setting. "Growing up in the city (Boston), there are always distractions both positive and negative. Tilton helped me stay focused on academics and basketball. Lawrence, Kansas, is a great college town and has the same feeling as Tilton."

"I must work on my lateral speed to defend better and keep working on my ballhandling," Selden said. "Coach Self is a great coach, he has a plan for me."

Selden couldn't help but notice the family atmosphere. "I noticed the connection between the players, coaches and the fans, as well as the family members of the players," he said. "It was special."

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

One helluva backup if McLemore stays and one helluva starting 2 guard if McLemore goes after this year.

1jhawk2 1 year, 6 months ago

Reminds me of Keith Langord. A thick body attacker with athleticism. Great get, now we need Randle, Gordon or Emblid to finish strong. Any chance of getting 2 and losing Frank Mason for the scholarship?

Krohnutz 1 year, 6 months ago

Man, this kid is a tank. That's a guard?

JHawk06 1 year, 6 months ago

Great news! Rock Chalk Selden!

jbal32 1 year, 6 months ago

Great News!!! Rock Chalk!!! I think it was more of Withey doing the Gangnam Style dance myself that convinced Mr. Selden to commit. http://youtu.be/9bZkp7q19f0

Jerry Rockhold 1 year, 6 months ago

And so it begins, ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON for HCBS. RCJH, GO KU!!!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't see a place to post a Poll so let's do it the old-fashioned way:

How many years do you think before Selden would jump to the NBA?:

A) 1 B) 2 C) 3 D) 4

I'm thinking B) or C), but I suspect that it's B). I think he'll have an acclimation - though certainly showing some things his freshman season and then a "breakout" in his Sophomore year. I read on ESPN's article that he said that the KU coaches had a plan for him.

I think we're going to do something we've NEVER done before. I think he's going to be like a baseball unitily player. I think they're SERIOUSLY considering letting him as he progresses play the 1, 2 OR 3. Now THAT's a highly marketable tool to have when heading to the NBA. From everything I'm reading in his scouting report and the only thinking of why he wouldn't be A) 1 - would be I think he needs to SHOW that he can consistently hit the outside shot. The ability to drive, pass, board, block shots, go get loose balls, etc. is there and will probably be there from the word "go". Others kept wanting to say that they were like Wade - i.e., A. Adams, Doyle, etc. Selden is like a more physically cut Wade. Maybe not as good of a ballhandler, but it could be a good comparison.

Sam Brockert 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone know who the guy on the far right of that picture is? He looks less than interested...

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow! Power, speed, size. What awesome news!

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 6 months ago

Terrific news. Just what we needed. A big, strong guard that can power the ball to the hole and finish at the rim with authority! Plus, he is an excellent passer. He is going to be the key to getting our outside assassins (Frankamp, White, Greene) plenty of wide-open looks.

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

I just gave Thumbs Up to all the good posts I'm that stoked about this.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Go, Bill, go!!!!

Get Embiid next.

I want to be gloriously, fabulously, order of magnitude wrong about what your recruiting has been up against.

I want to be broad side of the barn wrong, broad side of the solar system wrong, broad side of the universe wrong!!!!!!!

Yeeee haaaawwwwwww....

Go, Bill, go!!!!!!!!!

Jacob Zutterman 1 year, 6 months ago

This is the best news I've heard since Cummings was put in at QB last week. Selden might be my new favorite KU basketball player

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

This is just awesome news.

I am going back to the ER again for another zap from the paddles to get my heart rhythm reset for the third time today!!!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Wayne "Seldom Misses" Selden will join Conner, Brannen and Frank...with JO JO, "The Embedder" not far behind as a full house recruitting class:

• PG - Frank
  • SG - Conner
  • SWING - Wayne
  • SF - Brannen
  • CTR - Jo Jo

Very nice indeed, plus Perry, A&W, Rio, Naadir, BenMac [hopefully], Zach Attack, Jamari and Landon.

Boy oh boy..can't wait till 2013-2014.......well, maybe until 2012-2013 is done :).

702Hawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Rock chalk. He is a complete mixture of X's size, Julian's crazy passes (everyone has to be on their toes when he is on the court, including the tuba player), Collins love to make contact in the paint, and Robinson's want to rip the rim off the backboard every time he dunks. I am pumped for him and for this class. They will really be training against the best every day.

Marcus Duncan 1 year, 6 months ago

I was watching Seldon during the "Late Night" festivities and he really seemed into it. He was clapping and even stood when the crowd stood during the "Dream On" video. A lot of recruits think they can't get excited or can't show any favortism towards a school, but just watching Seldon react to different things Friday night, really gave me hope that he would choose KU. . . and now he has made it official!!! Embiid has now moved KU to the top of his list as well!! ROCK CHALK!!!

Adam Gerval 1 year, 6 months ago

Praise the lord, the drought is over! Welcome Wayne, welcome to the KU family! Ahhhh! I'm so excited!

fearthephog512 1 year, 6 months ago

ROCK CHALK!!! Welcome Selden!!!!!

Thomas Michaud 1 year, 6 months ago

woah, wait ... I thought you all said that HCBS couldn't recruit. I'm all confused now.

On a side note, for a second, I thought my email said that Wayne SIMIEN had committed.

Welcome Wayne SELDEN!! Glad to have you in Jayhawk Nation! Can't wait to waste the next few minutes watching some YouTube video (now that I won't be depressed thinking you might commit someplace else -- as some here thought you might). ;-)

hucking_fawks_rock 1 year, 6 months ago

Great news. Welcome to Lawrence, Wayne.

Miguel Colón 1 year, 6 months ago

So does this send a message to Randle that we are serious, or does he still go to UK?

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 6 months ago

YEEEEESSSSSS!!!! He was by far on the top of my wishlist of the remaining recruits. Now if we can land Embiid or Vonleh and this class would be legendary!!!!

Ron Prichard 1 year, 6 months ago

YES, heck YES, freaking heck YES!!!!

It makes it even sweeter when it says, Selden "chose KU over UConn, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina."

Who's the bluest of the blue bloods, baby!!

86Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

This is becoming a truly dominant class. With the addition of a big man, and some development this year, we will be more than comfortable at 4 out of 5 positions. Even more so if BMac stays two years. Selden's athleticism should take some of the pressure off of our shooters and allow him to penetrate the lane to score, or pass to an open shooter.

bayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

One of Bostons finest, this kid is a beast!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Terrific news.

Don't forget about Tyler Roberson coming in this weekend. Self had talked to him about being a Marcus Morris type player.

Had just heard someone over the weekend say that our only recruiting equity from the final four run was Frank Mason, since Frankamp and Greene had already committed. Not so much now.

frompekka2sasha 1 year, 6 months ago

Man...I just wish Coach Self could recruit! It was depressing last year when we went to the finals but didn't have a bunch of Top 10 commits. The most important thing to me is to have guys play only one year and be very highly regarded on ESPN or Rivals.

Miguel Colón 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome to Rock Chalk Nation! I want Gordon and Embiid, and maybe Peters!

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

We're one big time recruit from Self's BEST CLASS EVER. Too bad UK is gonna get #1.

DRsmith 1 year, 6 months ago

Nice pickup. Now we just have to hope HCBS doesn't turn him into a 2nd round pick so KU can keep recruiting at a high level.

Jeremy Bolinger 1 year, 6 months ago

My God this team is going to be LOADED!

SkyWalkinKU 1 year, 6 months ago

Been hoping to land Selden for months glad he is a Jayhawk!

Gordon or Embiid would round this class out nicely (Both would be a dream come true).

SDJhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

AWESOME!! Great news! In Self we trust....