Thursday, November 8, 2012

Landen Lucas to sit out first game while considering red shirt

Landen Lucas, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound forward from Portland, Oregon, is one of seven scholarship freshmen on this year's KU team.

Kansas freshman forward Landen Lucas will sit out Friday's season-opener against SE Missouri State in order to keep a red-shirt option open, KU coach Bill Self said at his weekly press conference Thursday.

"Landen will not play (Friday). He may not play Tuesday, because he's definitely a guy that we are strongly considering red-shirting," Self said. "We visited with Landen and his family about it, and they are in agreement with that. It's not 100-percent sure, because he could still play two weeks from now, but our thinking is, right now, put a red shirt on him."

Lucas, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound native of Portland, Ore., averaged three points, 4.5 rebounds and 7.5 minutes in KU's two exhibition games at Allen Fieldhouse.

Self was asked if a red-shirt year would be used to work on Lucas' body.

"It's to really replace age 23 with age 19," Self said. "He's going to be a much better player then than he will be now. You don't red-shirt guys that you don't think can play, because I do think he does have a future here impacting our ballclub."

Self also said freshman forward Zach Peters was feeling a little better, but he was definitely still out of practice with a shoulder injury.

"I'm not going to make a decision now on what we'll do with Zach, but if he can't get back soon, we have no choice but to red-shirt him," Self said, "because he'll be so far behind, he won't be able to catch up."

Self also confirmed senior forward Kevin Young will not play Friday because of a broken hand. He's scheduled to return to practice this weekend.

Comments

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

May I suggest we don't wear the red jerseys any more? It could get confusing!!

Is this a hint of future recruiting? If you redshirt then transfer, do you still have to sit out another year?

Potentially down two big men reserves...better gird for battle Perry and Jamari...looks like you're gonna see a lot of floor time!!up

702Hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

"If you redshirt then transfer, do you still have to sit out another year?"

Yes. Withey is a great example of this. He didn't play at AZ but still had to wait a year after starting classes at KU.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Technically speaking, did Zona redshirt Withey, or did Jeff just decide not to play that first semester in lieu of his decision to transfer at Christmas?

Josh Galler 2 years, 1 month ago

he did not redshirt first semester did not played. and since he transferred after 1st semester he redshirt at KU 2nd semester frosh year and 1st sem soph year

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 1 month ago

I like the occasional red jersey. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't addidas require us to wear the reds at least twice a year.

jakejayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I believe that Jeff played first semester of his frosh year at AZ, transferred between semesters, and played second semester of his soph year at KU. That makes two semesters out due to transfer, which is the requisite year sitting out due to transferring.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 1 month ago

actually he never played at Az, but he did transfer at semester so the rest of your recollection is correct.

Kye Clark 2 years, 1 month ago

Jeff never took the court for Arizona.

Allan Olson 2 years, 1 month ago

College players have 5 years to play 4 years. Whithey was not playing on Arizona team when he transfered to KU in midseason, but lost the 1 semester at Arizona due to scholarship help. Then had to sit out 1 year...began playing 2nd semester at KU. In the end will have played 3.5 years at KU...plus .5 year lost at Arizona. He also had a full year of KU practice time under his belt before playing any minutes...just like a redshirt season.

Our big guy true freshmen should redshirt. Look what it did for Whithey and Traylor. We don't really need Peters and Lucas this year. Wesley and Young are experienced and just as good/or better than those 2 at this point. Coach is right, we'll really need them much more next year and beyond. Besides, how much experience will they really get by playing as freshmen. Remember Cole and T-Rob did not redshirt played mop up time as freshmen.

Steve Quatrocky 2 years, 1 month ago

If I'm Peters, I definitely redshirt and get healthy, stronger and wiser before blowing a year of my eligibility. No reason for him to transfer, he is the one that is injured, not a matter of coach not giving him minutes, etc.

And, with Landen, while I would love to have him available down the road, which you can still do even if he redshirts, can pull it midseason due to multiple injuries, etc. He still practices, just doesnt play unless really needed. But why make the decision "official" or declared, until you see if Young actually returns.

Lets be real, Landen is passing up a few mop up minutes against SEMO but probably wouldnt play much against MSU anyway and by then the decision makes itself. Next year there will be a lot more oppty for quality minutes, as Withey, Young, Trav and maybe Ellis, wont already be in front of him and he is a real freshman, 19 yrs old, so a year of development as a red shirt on the practice team and a year of Andea chiseling his physique combined with a boy maturing into a man, and I think its clear, he can make a lot more of his minutes next year than in a mop up role this year.

Even if we get Embiid, he's going to need at least a year of learning the game before he is ready for big time minutes, so Landen has a lot more oppty next year as does a healthy and not already way behind Peters, especially if Perry is a one and done.

Steve Quatrocky 2 years, 1 month ago

Why in the world would he transfer? A year of Andrea chiseling his body, and he could be a taller TRob next year, his first year of playing, instead of mop up minutes behind Withey, Young, Ellis, Wesley and even Trav who plays the four occasionally. 3, maybe 4, of them will be gone next year, so he can challenge for a starting role, assuming he beats out Wesley which is probable after a year of development, regardless, he will play impact minutes next year versus mop up minutes this year.

tdscpa 2 years, 1 month ago

I have never seen a well-played game by KU in red.

702Hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

It's sad not to be able to see Zach and Landen play this year but I can't wait to see the beasts they will be in their 5th year.

DRsmith 2 years, 1 month ago

According to many posters on here they were supposed to be "beasts" from jump street despite their ranking. Guess not.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

1) I don't think too many people expected them to be "beasts" as freshmen 2) You're gonna dog Peters because he has a shoulder injury? For all you know he would be a beast right now if he was playing. 3) What jhwksrock said

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 1 month ago

Zach in the few games he played (Europe) was averaging about 7 rebounds and 6 points in 11 minutes. How much more do you expect from a Freshman? To put in perspective Thomas Robinson who turned out ok averaged 6 rebounds 7 points in 15 minutes as a sophmore.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

i figger Coach prolly got a handle on how to maximize the talent on his squad. I don't like red jerseys at all. It's Big BLUE, baby.

Matt Bowers 2 years, 1 month ago

Got to agree with you rockchalker. I think that HCBS knows that this is not the year for KU and we may not even win the league...just sayin. Next year we will have a wealth of talent coming in and I think HCBS recognizes that the future is brighter.

I'm just speaking as someone who is making a judgement after the first two exposition games. That might not be the best way to go about it, but I don't see the metal with this squad. Everyone should know...that I hope that I am wrong, but since this is blog set up for people who don't know sh!t to voice their opinion, that is what I'm doing.

Rock Chalk

Steve Quatrocky 2 years, 1 month ago

He isnt conceding anything, he is just being realistic, making the best use of the talent he already has and the three seniors are going to play, four once Young is back.

This years team can be deadly, and thats what he is trying mold right now, the identity for winning it all this year, fantastic first shot defense with Withey being the last line of defense, and on offense, a four man attacking the paint, drawing the double and then letting Withey finish it, instead of our traditional Hi Low, as Withey/Young or even Withey/Ellis arent going to be as good as TRob/Withey. And if defenses sag on the big man, we've got the outside shooters to make them pay. Again, he isnt making any concessions here, I see a 9th straight title, and at least a Sweet 16 run, hopefully Elite 8, maybe the Four depending upon our defense.

kgreg01 2 years, 1 month ago

WOW. 3 Freshman don't qualify last year. 1 transfers and 2 sit out to qualify. Now 2 Freshman bigs potentially red shirting. Kind of a battle.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 1 month ago

Where did the other recruit end up going? and what was his name? was from Canada but I cant think of it right now.

Rob Bedford III 2 years, 1 month ago

Spend more time in the gym and less time on Instagram and Twitter. Give that a try and you might see some action on the court Landen.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, because I'm sure he isn't on a weight program with Hudy, and Self has probably been letting him take it easy through the summer and fall. Ridiculous comment.

trustyourSelf 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't mind this at all. We have plenty of big men this year, and these guys will be ridiculous by their 5th year.

Justin Lindsley 2 years, 1 month ago

If they aren't ready to see court time, then Self might as well red shirt them. They both have potential. Let them practice for a year. They will become stronger and more mature. Self recruited them for a reason. They very well may be better players in year 3,4,5 then anyone Self could bring in. So why not let it ride and see what becomes of it.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Releford is playing almost exactly to his ranking, right?

jgkojak 2 years, 1 month ago

If Peters is out through December he may as well red-shirt and be a major player for us next year.

Lucas sounds like he needs some conditioning - then he'll be a beast.

Releford can talk to him about how beneficial it can be.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

As a Jayhawk Architectural Alumni from KU's nationally accreditted five year bachelor program, there's worse things than spending five years on our beautiful campus!!

Besides, Withey, Ellis, Young, Traylor and Wesley is not exactly 'Big Man" chopped liver. And, if something drastic occurs, LL can always be pulled back in.

JurisJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I like to call red-shirt years...."Hudy." For example, we're going to Hudy Peters this year.

stinkybulldog 2 years, 1 month ago

Red-shirt both of them. They will beasts in the future. We already have 5 bigs that won't redshirt. What is the scholarship situation looking like for next year? Can we sign 2 more? Maybe Langford will pay for Wesley again...

yates33333 2 years, 1 month ago

Is being a medical redshirt different from just being a redshirt? I've seen both terms in this week's LJW.

I'm not bent that way, but Lucas is really a nice looking kid.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 1 month ago

I know that players can sometimes get a medical redshirt year in addition to a regular redshirt year, so there is a difference. If a player has redshirted early in his career and then gets injured his last year, sometimes he gets a sixth "medical redshirt" year. I don't know if a medical redshirt only applies if you are down to your last year of eligibility or not. I also don't know if it applies in sports other than football.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Did Robbie Hummel do something like that?

DCLawHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Not exactly. He got a medical redshirt because he was injured just prior to the start of what would have been his senior year. But that was not on top of an earlier redshirt. He was only at Purdue for five years total. GREAT player though. I loved watching him against KU in the tourney last season (and before that too--Purdue is my second-favorite team), though he had me worrying about the Jayhawks' chances to advance for awhile there.

702Hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes medical redshirts are different. Players normally get 5 years to play 4 but if a player gets seriously injured and cannot play past the halfway point of the season he/she could be given the medical red shirt. It happens a lot for ACL tears.

Peters probably could get one if he has to get rotator cuff surgery. I think that is why HCBS has hesitated listing Peters as red shirt. He could play a couple games and if it didn't get better have the season ending surgery and have a red shirt. It's the best situation for crummy condition.

Adam James 2 years, 1 month ago

Can't wait until tomorrow to see our guys in action when the Win actually gets marked down in the W-L column. It's basketball season and there is no greater time of the year. There will be some growing up along the way, but hang on and enjoy the ride. Coach Self and his staff will have our guys ready and we will be seeded as a 1,2 or 3 come march. Can't believe we start tomorrow..... enjoy the season!

KGphoto 2 years, 1 month ago

John Gasaway of ESPN doesn't think it will matter...

" Jeff Withey remains the most dominant defensive player in the nation but finally draws recognition as such, while also taking on a much larger load on offense. This sassy, new-look, "more aggressive" Withey leads the Jayhawks to the Final Four in Atlanta, where on Monday night Bill Self's team avenges the 2012 national title game with a win over Kentucky in the 2013 rematch. In the title game Withey records nine blocks, and the ubiquitous pun in headlines, on T-shirts, and possibly even from the PBP guy in the closing seconds will be "ROCK, CHALK, JAY-BLOCK!""

KGphoto 2 years, 1 month ago

Ha! Too funny.

Did you see the accompanying photo of Jeff on ESPN's home page? Not very sassy. Beastly, perhaps.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

As I commented on the other article, I don't understand red-shirting Lucas this year, while Peters is already out.
It would make more sense to play him this year, and red-shirt next year, if we land Randle or Dakari.

However, with Withey, Young, Wesley, and perhaps even Ellis leaving, along with not yet knowing whether we even get anybody next year ready to contribute, Self may need him more next year than this one.

If Ellis doesn't leave and we a high profile post player, I still don't see Lucas getting many minutes next year either.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

FarSide -- No, no, we have Wesley for one more season. How could you forget? He's a junior. I expect big things from him his senior season. Like testing Embiid each day in practice. Sorry, a little snippy there ....

You said you don't understand why Lucas may redshirt .. he can't beat out Traylor or Wesley for PT. That would seal many a deal.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Wesley has one more year?! I'll be nice and won't say anything more.

I get that he isnt beating out Traylor and Wesley now, but I can't believe that they would be so far ahead that he has to take a red shirt. 5 man rotation on the bigs with 3 passengers is not that deep.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

FarSide - In most cases the trade off of a true freshman campaign for that of a 5th year senior is worth it. I understand the concern that we may need his size, but I think Self is playing the odds here not only trading a freshman yr for a 5th yr, but deciding he'll play Wesley and Traylor at center rather than Lucas. Lucas might help against certain players, but I think Self feels the team will be better in the long run the more minutes he can offer those other 2.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Above, one says Lucas will be "ridiculous" and two suggest he'll be a "beast."

Dreamers. Dreaming is good. Dreaming made America great. And you have a 13.3% chance of your dream coming true (I guess that's if Lucas was in the Rivals 100-150 range .. don't know the percent for players outside the top 150).

God bless dreamers.

I am curious though, name me a "ridiculous" player, a "beast", that redshirted his freshman season because he wasn't good enough to play? I am interested in this group of players that we can compare Lucas to.

RockinChalkinLA 2 years, 1 month ago

If you listen to HCBS he says he's not red shirting him because he can't play, in fact he states he could impact this year team if not red shirted. These two young men, Lucas & Peters, are not going to be early entrants into the NBA. 5 years with Hudy and Coach Self will make them Beasts.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

I fear you are smokin' some weed .....

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

What do you think they mean when they say "beast"?

It's clearly not the latter .. half the girls on the local high school team are fierce and strong competitors.

How about a damn good player that starts, or is a key rotation piece?

702Hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I mean a beast like TRob was. I know TRob was an All-American who work damn hard to get there. What did he do to to be considered a beast? He held back multiple people at one time to grab a rebound. Do you think Lucas and Peters won't be able to do that their 5th year? Next punished the rim by dunk as hard as he could. Once again I believe both of these freshmen will do that by their 5th year.

In the end they might not be as fast as TRob and not All-Americans but true bruising beasts in the paint after Hudy spends four years on them.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Festus Ezeli, 3 star, 6-11 center, ranked #145 rivals. Red-shirted his freshman year at Vandy. Was 30th pick in the first round of the 2012 NBA Draft by Golden State. Obviously it "could" happen . . . but he's kinda in a group by himself.

Actually it sounds a little like Embiid. Ezeli was from Nigeria and played only limited basketball in high school.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Bay .. this is the best post of the day. Two reasons .. 1) Ezeli is the perfect example. But you're right, maybe one of a kind there. I'm actually shooting lower than that. Excellent starter, or solid rotation player; and 2) comparing Embiid to Ezeli. Good stuff.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks HEM. Ezeli came to mind since I've been in the Bay Area for 30+ years. I was checking out additional info on FE when I happened upon this site. My God - this could be yours! Check it out - it's a Marquette site, but the stats and research are right up your alley.

DanR 2 years, 1 month ago

Larry Sanders (unranked) from VCU would be another example.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

One RS, though not so much like Lucas, is Brian Butch. There's a guy that could have started and chose to RS. Still, his overall reasons to redshirt would probably be similar to Landen's, get stronger, prepare for the physical nature and speed of the college game. You're getting into a lot of specifics when you want a 3-star player that redshirted when he wasn't going to get PT as a frosh, 'cause most of the time those guys still don't redshirt. If freshman Christian Moody was on scholarship coming onto this team for this season he'd be redshirting as well, but he went on to be a starter. Plenty of guys you could list like that, but since Moody was a walk-on or a different guy chooses to play 2 mpg or a guy comes onto a team with no depth, we'd be working with a pretty limited data set.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

I like to flip these statements about redshirting around. Its usually the same statement. Probably going to red shirt. Not 100% sure. Going to sit a couple games before committing.

So: what would have to happen not to redshirt Lucas?

a) sudden, accelerated aging;

b) injury to other bigs in first two games;

c) discover birth certificate off by 3 years;

d) super stardom gene implant procedure discovered;

f) bigs fail first mid term;

g) waiting to see if big men being recruited committ and make a player unnecessary;

h) waiting to see if Justin decides to leave for Hollywood to star in Danny Manning biopic.

tdscpa 2 years, 1 month ago

Lucas wins the lottery. Does not need KU or NBA.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Some Inferences to Be Drawn about Red Shirting Landon"

• Self has decided thin is in in big men this year.

• Self has decide height is overrated in big men this year.

• Landon needs a year getting adjusted to the weather.

• Landen needs a year getting adjusted to how beautiful the women at KU are.

• Justin is better than board rats thought.

Ryan Beddie 2 years, 1 month ago

people who are jumping on the transfering wagon need to jump off it. What's wrong with both redshirting and having a extra yr with the team. Releford did and is a 2 yr starter. Brady did the same. Withey sat out a year and could lead the nation in blocks this yr. Self knows what he is doing. We could be a good team with smaller lineups and not always be at a disadvantage against smaller lineups. A lot of what if's out there but we have to have faith that these bigs will step up when it counts.

DCLawHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Agree on Brady and Releford, but Withey doesn't count. He sat out for a year because he had to, not because HCBS wanted him to do so.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, but then after sitting out a year, the following year he still barely played. That's why there was such a question mark coming in to last year.

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

Why should people jump off that bandwagon when history says that players ranked where Lucas is ranked (100+) have a greater chance of transferring than reaching senior night at KU? Jeremy Case, Brady Morningstar, and Tyrel Reed are the only players that were ranked outside the top 100 to reach senior night at KU during Bill Self's tenure. Quintrell Thomas, Royce Woolridge, Merv Lindsay, and Milton Doyle all transferred. It's hard to argue with history.

KGphoto 2 years, 1 month ago

I'll post this here so we don't have to see it much longer, but did anyone else notice that Danny's Tulsa squad got exploded by Oklahoma Panhandle State University the other day? Yeah, not Oklahoma State, rather OPSU. Enrollment 1,400.

I believe the final was 113-71. Danny boy sure has his work cutout.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I believe you got it backwards. Just checked the Tulsa men's BB site and they have it listed as a "W".

KGphoto 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow! Thank you! When I checked yesterday on the same site it was definitely an "L".

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Jermaine Lawrence cut his list and KU ain't on it.

KGphoto 2 years, 1 month ago

His loss. Could've been the best intro in KU history.

Michael Auchard 2 years, 1 month ago

So, who's going to back up Withey? He's not exactly been dominant against these D2 teams This seems like trouble.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Withey is getting a lot of pub. Someone has him on 2nd team All America, while one guy has him as the national player of the year.

Also, lot of people picking KU to be in the Final Four, and some as the National Champion.

Though it's good to see this, I have to admit, I like it better when they are under-rated and over-achieve. I'm sure Self will break them down enough for them to feel like the under-dogs.

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

My money is is on Lucas transferring to a PAC 12 school or some other west coast league (don't remember who's going where with all the realignment stuff) after this year. I know some people will say that I'm wrong (and I admit that I could be), but I've said this multiple times that there is a greater chance of someone ranked outside 100 of transferring out of KU than there is of them reaching their senior night.