Originally published March 27, 2012 at 12:00a.m., updated March 27, 2012 at 10:14a.m.

Tyshawn Taylor not yet dome-free

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor laughs between teammates Thomas Robinson, front, and Jeff Withey after it was brought to his attention by a media member that he is yet to make a three-pointer in the NCAA tournament when playing in a dome, Saturday, March 24, 2012 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

When a reporter informed Kansas University senior guard Tyshawn Taylor the day before the North Carolina game that he never had hit a three-pointer in a dome, more stewing than laughing took place on the platform at which the coach and five starters sat.

Such a fact had not made its way into Taylor’s head, and once it did, it wasn’t likely to leave until he hit one.

Taylor played well in Sunday’s 80-67 victory against the Tar Heels that sent KU to the Final Four, but his bizarre NCAA Tournament long-range shooting slump continued.

He made 10 of 14 two-pointers, had six rebounds, five assists and five steals, but missed all five three-pointers and had three turnovers in a 22-point game. As usual, some of the high numbers were in the right places, some in the wrong places, but when they all were added up, the positives outweighed the negatives.

“When he doesn’t play well he gets a lot of attention, and when he does play well he gets a lot of attention,” KU coach Bill Self said Monday. “He’s one of those kind of kids. I’m so proud of him and how far he’s come.”

Taylor’s atypical three-point shooting stats compiled in four NCAA Tournaments: 3-for-37 overall; 0-for-17 in domes; 0-for-17 in this season’s tournament.

Taylor has the loudest, friendliest personality on the team. One day after being informed of his shooting futility, he was able to laugh about it.

“I don’t even care,” he said. “I don’t care one bit. I don’t like domes, but they love me, it seems like, because we won, you know.”

Proving he had not spent much time looking ahead, Taylor asked a question in hopes the answer would set him dome-free the rest of the way.

“Is New Orleans a dome, too?” Taylor asked.

Yes, the Superdome is indeed a dome.

“Oh, man,” Taylor said, disappointed.

Although it’s rare for a player to shoot 8 percent from three in NCAA Tourney games and 41 percent in all others, as has Taylor, poor dome shooting afflicts many.

“It’s depth perception, no question about it,” Louisville coach Rick Pitino said on a Monday conference call that featured the Final Four head coaches. “It’s the wide-open space. It’s something you need to get a little practice in and get used to, and I think you’ll feel comfortable in it.”

Taylor’s next assignment pits one of the toughest guards to guard against Ohio State’s Aaron Craft, one of the guarding guards. In the Dec. 10 game won by Kansas, 78-67, in which injured Buckeyes center Jared Sullinger didn’t play, the point guards played to a stalemate. Taylor had 13 assists, seven turnovers and did not attempt a three-pointer. If he can trim a few turnovers, repeating the other two stats might make for a ticket to the title game for Taylor and teammates.

• A previous version of this story has been updated.

Comments

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

At this point of the season, all the arm-chair analysis is in. Not much more to be said regarding what we'd like to see, how the team is playing, etc. Just a LONG wait 'til Saturday. I'm sure someone will bring up Tony Parker, or next year's team in general, and half a day or more will be killed watching posters outline how they think our line-up will look next year, try to rationalize how Ellis will play the 3 and we "really need another big", who should redshirt, etc. There will also be the lauding of praise on this year's team & HCBS (well-deserved), maybe some POY talk about how much more deserving TRob is than Davis. Should a player be singled out (like Tyshawn here) as the topic for an article I'm sure there will be some conversation focusing on that. Hopefully there are no "developments", injuries or anything of that nature, that warrant discussion. This goes for both us and OSU. I don't want any of their players to miss the beating we lay on them this time around.

Anyway, in lieu of the usual boilerplate discussions, in honor of the Final Four, here's four random topics/questions. Discuss at your leisure:

1. With the exception of Mizery, I think most KU fans will root for Big XII schools in the tournament. Same goes for Coach Self & his team. That being said, do you think the other teams in our conference are rooting for us this weekend? Either their fans or the coaches & teams?

2. Whatever happened to Gus Johnson? Did he call any tournament games this year? I don't recall ever hearing him this year, which is a bummer because he's the best!

3. Some (myself included) have said in the past that KU is in need of a true rival in the conference. We all hated Mizery, but they were never a rival in the sense that they rarely challenged us for conference supremacy. If you could choose, what school would you like to see ascend to that position, and who do you think is the closest right now?

4. On the heels of the Jason King article yesterday about Bill Self, in which he states if he was starting a program today Self is at the top of the list for coaches you'd want to run your program, who do you think is #2? Even if it's someone you despise right now. (As per the King article, it is not "who has the best resume". Here's a link for anyone that missed it: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7737089/ncaa-tournament-2012-bill-self-proves-worthy )

Anyway, just trying to break up the monotony. Like I said, gonna be a LONG week.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 8 months ago

Ict,

There are a lot of KSU fans in my neck of the woods (Olathe) and basically all the ones I know regularly cheer for KU, except when KU plays KSU. The reverse is also true, most KU fans also cheer for KSU except when they play KU.

Huggy said it best "it is not a rivalry unless you win games." I would love to see KSU become a true rival as it would mean that they are capable of winning a few games.

In reality ,it is more likely that Texas and/or Baylor will become the Conference rivals. Texas recruits well and Barnes is a decent coach; Baylor recruits extremely well but Drew is a below average coach.

Other than UNC, Baylor is probably the only other team with talent similar to Kentucky. With its current personnel and a better coach, Baylor would be kicking butt and taking names.

I agree with Jason King. If I had to pick any coach I want, HC Self would be at the top of my list.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 2 years, 8 months ago

Gus no longer works for CBS. He currently calls play-by-play for Fox Sports, Showtime, the Big Ten Network and EA Sports.

mojayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Good espn article you linked. Coach Self is the best! Apparently, lots of experts think so too. He is a mastermind Defensive Coach! His teams can win beautifully flowing athletic games, AND they can definitely win ugly. Winning ugly was something Coach Williams didn't seem to get done, though I loved him as our Coach.

Coach Self is the BEST!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I just can't get myself to hate K-State, and the fact that we stayed together during conference realignment didn't change my mind. Don't get me wrong, I don't like them, but unless we're playing them I just don't care. I'm going to go on hating Misery and hope we get a piece of them in bowl games or the NCAAs. That's a hatred I won't be able to shake!

dylans 2 years, 8 months ago

Move out to southwest Kansas and try to put up with their whinny fans all year long. The K-State fans out here talk so much trash leading up to the games its ridiculous, but all you hear are crickets after the game. That being said I dislike K-State fans not the team, but can't root for the team on principle.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

Dude, where you from? I was born in Greensburg. A TON of KU fans there.

dylans 2 years, 8 months ago

There are more where you are at. At least in the Coldwater area. I'm in Sublette, It is decidedly purple here with a scattering of sane and rational people wearing blue and crimson.

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

Whinny fans? I didn't know that horses had a rooting interest.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

1) I hate to admit this, but there was a time not too long ago that I felt sorry for Mizzou. When Mizzou hired Mike Anderson, I actually liked the guy. I believe it was in 2009 when Mizzou went to the Elite 8 and I was actually rooting for them to get to their first Final 4 and beat UConn. I don't know if I just despise Calhoun and UConn, but I remember rooting for Mizzou in that game.

That feeling didn't happen very often, but I think a small part of me wanted Mizzou to have some success so the Kansas/Mizzou rivalry could kind of be reborn again.

Oops! That was a mistake in my thinkng because shortly after that all the conference realignment stuff happened and we all saw first hand Mizzou's true colors. I lost all respect for them and that "Hate" that I apparently lost because my sympathy towards their inadequate sports programs................came back alive!

With that said, I do think other schools root for Kansas because that means more money to their schools and the Big 12.

2) I have no idea

3) I would like to see Iowa State emerge as a sleeper giant if that makes any sense. K-State will be there, but I would like to Okie State or Iowa state emerge as Kansas' next rival! If the Big 12 administration would just hurry up and get Louisville into the conference............it would be Louisville IMO!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Also guilty but at a different time..this was when Norm was retiring and I knew how much he cared for the program and never made it to the Final 4 despite having the talent to do so.

Phoghorn 2 years, 8 months ago

I would love to see Oklahoma State built back up to their glory days. KU-OSU has historically been a rivalry built on good basketball and a strong mutual respect. Seriously - go to a sporting event there. Their fans are some of the most classy and knowledgeable in college sports.

Coach Phog Allen Coach Iba made that rivalry great and it continued through the days of Coach Sutton at OSU and Coaches Roy Williams and Bill Self at KU. I hated to see OSU drop in prominence lately, and I hope they can rebuild.

Additionally, Kansas (the State, not the University) gave them Coach Sutton, they gave us Coach Self who clearly draws on the experience and teachings of Coach Iba.

Why do I get the feeling that Assistant Coach Danny Manning may be patrolling the sidelines at Gallagher-Iba Arena someday?

oldrocker 2 years, 8 months ago

Since I live in the Wichita area, I would love to see KU play WSU on a regular basis. Even though they haven't played in a long time, it seems to me that there's a deep-seated rivalry. WSU fans still like to talk about beating KU in the tourney in 1981. I would love for the Jayhawlks to put a serious beat down on the Shockers sometime!

dtdjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

There is no rivalry there and there never will be, WSU fans just desperately wish there was...KU has no reason to schedule a game with WSU every year because we do not need any help recruiting in this area. Any great high school player in Wichita past or present grows up dreaming to play basketball at KU not WSU and that's the way it will always be. If they meet every once in a while in a tournament or something then great , it would be fun to shut up the delusional WSU fans but they are not a program that can build a rivalry with us. Not to mention they aren't even in our conference.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

Now as much as I love KU, those comments seem harsh. I would welcome at least a series. Self probably doesn't want to do it from a recruiting standpoint, that is, to make WSU appear to be on equal footing, but from a fan's standpoint and from a tough schedule, there is no reason not to play WSU.

I'm not saying it would be a rivalry, it would be another good game--better, much better than Coppin State, etc.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 8 months ago

1.) I've had fans of UT and Texas A&M stop by my office this week and pass along support for the Jayhawks. I know that Texas A&M is leaving, so they don't count anymore, but I have heard 1 Aggie say that KU is on his list of most hated teams. I think that for the most part K-Staters continue to root against KU in all games. Strangely too, so do die hard Wichita State fans. They are very anti-KU it seems. But for the most part I think other than maybe KSU the remaining big 12 schools probably are rooting for KU.

2.) Gus Johnson didn't call any NCAA Tourney games, and that is sad. As a previous poster said... he left CBS Sports. "Rise and Fire!"

3.) I would love to see OSU rise to power as a Big 12 conference basketball giant, and become our chief rival (as long as they do so without the services of Bill Self). But I don't see that on the horizon. Lon Kruger could really elevate OU's program. I would also like to see KSU continue to be relevant (but with Frankie leaving, they might be in trouble). I think that Scott Drew may stay at Baylor a long time, and he will probably grow as a coach and get better, but as of now I see them as kind of a flash in the pan. So to me it looks like it's gonna have to be UT, just like in the Kevin Durant, Lamarcas Aldridge, Daniel Gibson, AJ Abrams era.

4.) There's no other coach to build a program with but Bill Self. Look what he did at ORU, Tulsa, and Illinois. But if I had to build a program with any other coach because Bill Self is a KU coach for life, then I would probably take VCU coach Shaka Smart. His strategy works, and his coaching ability is legit.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

To give you my own thoughts, and in response to a few of the posters answers:

1. It's been hit-or-miss with the fans of other schools that I've encountered. Some root for us, some don't. Regarding other teams, I think privately they wish for us to lose. If you're Rick Barnes or Scott Drouche (credit to ralster on that nickname for him) you've got to be thinking to yourself "If Self is doing this with no Micky D's all-Americans in a down year, what hope do we ever have? And how much harder is this Final Four run going to make our jobs, as surely it will be that much easier for him to lure high level talent to Lawrence?" I also think that our dominance makes it harder for fans to root for us. Kind of like Red Sox fans never rooting for the Yankees.

2. Thanks for letting me know about Gus. Just not the same without him. Instead we get a bunch of NBA scrubs.

3. I'd like to see it become either Iowa St. or Okie St. ISU because they're a lot like us, in that if the Big XII would have folded the lack of a desirable football program would have left them in a tough spot. Okie St. because if they're successful it means that hopefully they have a good coach settled in there and we won't have to worry about that seat opening up and T. Boone offering to throw millions at Bill to lure him away. I think Baylor is very close to the school actually becoming our rival. Two elite 8s in three years, and Drouche keeps recruiting talent there. If he ever figures out how to coach it they'll be scary. UT is there, despite their down year, but I think they need to experience a little more NCAA tourney success.

4. Agreed, there's no one I'd rather have than Self. If he was unavailable, maybe Izzo, as much as I dislike him. He gets results, seems to run a clean program, and still has quite a few years left. Someone mentioned Smart. I need to see him recruit and compete in a big conference. He does seem to be an excellent Xs & Os guy.

Regarding a few of the Wichita State comments - I'm a Wichita resident also. I wouldn't mind playing them once a year, but it doesn't bother me that they don't play. I don't think they'll ever qualify as a rival, since they're not in conference and it's unlikely they'll sustain a high enough level of success to compete even if we did play regularly. Their fans are the reason I can't stand them. They have such an inferiority complex. Which...they are inferior, yet anytime they experience a modicum of success they come out with the "KU is scared to play us" rhetoric. Just annoyingly obnoxious.

addlime 2 years, 8 months ago

Agreed. Tough tourney this year but Izzo is clearly in the top group of coaches, and I don't think Coach K is so old that we should forget about him. I hate Duke, and I hate Michigan State fans, but both of those coaches are arguably the best. Of course, I'm biased, and I'll take Self over either at this point.

justinryman 2 years, 8 months ago

1--I live in Nebraska, born and raised, even went to a small college in Nebraska, die hard KU fan, and not just basketball. But fans here, have their Scarlett and Cream and their two blue shirts. They love their football and then they see if Creighton is going to be any good in basketball, if they are, they wear CU shirts, if they are not they put on their KU shirts. For the most part Husker fans seem to cheer KU on, and now that NU is in Big10 it seems that some have "adopted" KU for their Big12 school to cheer for.

2--I Miss Gus Johnson, there were plenty of games this year that some of his last minute calls would have been historic, it's too bad that CBS wouldn't give him the Final 4.

3--As for a rival, I think K-State is a natural one, and it's not really air to have one with Texas as long as Rick Barnes is there. His coaching gets in the way of their winning.

4--Well living in Nebraska as stated above they are on their 3rd "rebuilding coach" in a row. Still don't think they have it right, but they might be on the right track. With that being said I'm not sure who'd I take. Rex Walters is rebuilding San Fran. Haase is starting out on his own at UAB. Both of them might be the next "it" coach. I would have to say Brad Stevens of Butler would be my choice if I had to start a program. He gets his kids to play hard and above their skill set.

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

1. My extended family in SE are all KSU fans/alums and they all hate KU with every bone in their bodies. Down here in Houston, there are Aggies, Longhorns, Bears, and even a Tar Heel in my group of friends and they are all cheering for KU since their teams are now out of it. It is nice having a girlfriend who comes from an Aggie family because now I can still go see A&M beat Missouri on a regular basis.

2. Been explained enough

3. There's no school in the Big 12 that is consistently good enough to be considered a rival based solely on the on-court results. Iowa St., OSU, OU, Texas, Baylor, Missouri, and KSU have all had runs but even during those times, KU still won most of the time. KSU will always be a rival because they are the in-state school, but for for KU to have a consistent rival based off of competitiveness, they need to start playing one of the other blue bloods on an annual basis

4. Bill Self definitely belongs at or near the top of anyone's list of coaches to start a program with. Others that I would have in consideration would be Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, Tom Crean, and Mark Few would be other coaches I would give serious consideration to hiring to start a program.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

Jim Calhoun? Three championships? Don't like the guy, but . . .

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

Calhoun is getting old and has serious health issues. He's probably only 1-3 years away from retiring.

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

I didn't want to include Calhoun or Coach K because I think those two are near the end of their careers and that doesn't seem ideal for starting a program.

HawksWin 2 years, 8 months ago

Taylor, Did you hear all knowing ESPN & other experts have crowned Aron Craft as the nation's best defender? They said Craft will own you. Now, I beg to differ with those bozo the crowns because I know what you will do against tOSU. Now that you are injury free, would you make those know-it-alls fools eat their words? It's show time for you Ty, and the boys. Leave these bozos' mouth hanging, craving for more.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, in a footrace, TT, you will have Craft in your big rearview mirror! There is nobody, but nobody I would want to have at point than you. Craft is very good. You are better than very good.

Good luck Saturday!

rick cowley 2 years, 8 months ago

Most fans I know including MU fans (not as much venom in soutwest MO between fans) cheer on the Big XII schools. I do the same.

Most likely rival will be Texas just based on talent and the ability to beat KU once in awhile. K-State or Iowa State would be better but they will have to get much better to be real rivals.

Tom Crean has done a nice job bringing Indiana back and probably the guy I would want to succeed Self if he bolted for the NBA. No prediction there, but since he turned down the money from OK State before I don't see him leaving for another college job, ever.

BrockIII 2 years, 8 months ago

1. I think the other teams in our conference (players and coaches) are rooting for KU. They know the KU players and the coaching staff, see them through the course of the year, some played with them or against them in AAU ball, some recruited them. Now, the fans...that's another story. I just don't get the sense that the Big 12 is really all that unified like it should be at this stage, and it's just not like the good 'ole Big 8 days.

2. Gus would have been perfect for the touney this year. For the most part, the announcers they have calling the games are a complete snooze-fest and/or totally incompetent and senile. We lucked out having Kerr and Albert calling KU games - that's for sure.

3. This is a tough one. Looking realistically at who could be a true rival, it would have to be ISU or KSU, IF they continue making strides towards elite, competitive basketball (especially now that KSU has to make another hire). Baylor and Texas are and will be the ones challenging KU year in, year out for the conference title. However, myself being someone that lived in Texas almost my entire life, it is clear that basketball is just not that important to those schools, especially UT. Maybe that changes, but if the fanbase is mostly indifferent and basketball illiterate, that is not a rivalry.

4. If I'm starting a program, I'm calling Self right out of the gate. After he laughs in your face at the idea of leaving KU, then I'm contacting Brad Stevens. Shaka Smart is getting a lot of pub based on his hot streak and four tourney wins in 2011 (after mediocre CAA conference play that season with the prior coach's players). He could be a really good coach down the road, and teaches good defensive intensity, but too many unknowns right now.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

1.) I live on the West Coast and work in sports television. Those I know who care intensely about college basketball/sports from a fan's perspective are transplants from Michigan State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Wisconsin, Marquette, Arizona and Tennessee. My fellow Big 12-ers always root for each other. Syracuse spouse and co-workers cheer for their conference (if they can figure out which one that is). Michigan State friends always support KU because they see us as a similar program (defense, integrity, scandal free, substance over sexiness (read Calamari), etc. Any other Kansas support comes from those with some kind of ties to the program - Haase's old roommate, announcers who have called a game in AFH, or those who just hate other teams more.

Perhaps the further away you live, the stronger the allegiance to your conference. Maybe it's a bit of homesickness. Maybe it's easier to root for MU when you can't actually smell them. Of course, we were not rooting this year since the Zoo was already representing the SEC when they picked up their tourney trophy.)

2.) Gus Johnson - missed.

3.) The biggest conference rivalry is that game you circle each year. So it will be Texas as long as Barnes is recruiting. For entertainment value, it will always be K-State.

4.) Nobody but Self. But agree with all others mentioned as distant runner ups. Sean Miller can sure recruit. Time will tell with X and O's.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

1.) I was in Atlanta last week and went to a downtown KU alum bar for the night before the game. I sat next to a 57-year old Purdue fan who played football there in the 70s against the likes of Archie Griffin, etc. He saw IU and MSU go down before OSU saved his night. A younger man next to him was a Florida State fan who makes videos for rivals.com and made one of Cam Newton in hs. Behind me were three Florida fans. It was clear to me that every group supported its conference. Also, everyone was cool and respectful of each school. Then I watched KU beat NCState by myself in a lonely hotel room near the airport. But conferences alliances are bigger now than ever.

2.) Gus? Who did he make mad at CBS?

3.) There is no rivalry on the horizon. You can't manufacture that. It won't happen until KU loses the Big XII several times. When will that happen? Also, I think WV will be out of the league before 2020. Not a geographical fit. It matters.

4.) I don't follow it that closely, but if I had any say in it, I would want a coach who recruited strong, physical players. We really pushed UNC off of the floor in those last four minutes. Or get the science dept in gear and clone Self.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

1. Those that believe incompetent elites deciding who is good and who is not, and cloaking those dubious choices in hype, are good for the game, will cheer for Contucky, Lo-hio State, and Slick'deVille. Those that believe in an America where unhyped groups of talented, skillful, and hard working citizens band together under superior leadership to solve problems, get things done, and achieve greatness, while wearing red, white and blue, will cheer for KU.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Only one slight correction, Jaybate: "Crimson", white and blue. Although your reference point is well taken. :>)

Recruit update: According to an article on today's Zagsblog.com Isaiah Lewis, one of the top ranked 2013 PG's has narrowed his list to 5, including KU. Also has Louisville, Memphis, Florida State and (? Dang, forget, think it's Georgia.) Lewis, BTW, is good friends with KU's 2013 - 5 star commit - B. Greene.

2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the recruiting info, Aloha!

JD Roth 2 years, 8 months ago

"Crimson" is a strong, bright, deep red color. For crying out loud, give it a rest with your ridiculous corrections!! Rock Chalk!! The Ohio State University is next!!

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

What's wrong with corrections?

"What doesn't kill me makes me get better."

--Friedrich jaybate

:-)

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Dang, I wish Isaiah could come next year and play alongside Elijah. Its always good to load up on prophets.

On the other hand, prophets tend to come serially, not in parallel. :-)

misterbrain 2 years, 8 months ago

Plenty of examples of one prophet training the next one though, so it's still possible :)

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

Your'e parents where way, way to edjucated. 7:4 words to errors . . beet dat.

Cmill1221 2 years, 8 months ago

I will admit I said back in December that we were a sweet16 team at best mainly B/C of depth and I felt like foul trouble in the tournament would do us in. Still I really believed we would win our 8th straight b/c I didn't think anyone was good enough to take it from us. I think we match up well and will beat Ohio State b/c I really believe our guards are better. I keep hearing about this Craft kid and how good his defense is. I really feel like when they say things about defensive guards it's a nice way of saying they suck. It's like talking about a Head Coach and how his players love him and he has a good graduatin rate but his record is something like 10-200 (turner gill status). Even tho they call releford a defensive guard he still had a game where he put up 32 so yeah, he can play. I didn't see anything that really scared me at AFH even if they would have had sullinger, I think our guards are the difference. But even if we get by them I really don't see anyone beating Kentucky. I know we have gotten a ton better as the season has gone on but so have they. But if there is one thing I have learned this season (As if 08 wasnt enough) it's you can NEVER give up on a Bill Self team.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn is a guy, like Sherron Collins, who certainly had his up and down moments off the court. Winning does not make you a good person and losing does not make you a bad person. I hope that the Tyshawn Taylor we see leaving Kansas is as solid of a person off the court as he is on the court. My bet is that he will be!

Get em Tyshawn!

wrwlumpy 2 years, 8 months ago

JEROD HASSE LEFT ROY TODAY TO BECOME HEAD COACH AT AUBURN.

MORE FLOOR BURNS THAN ANY OTHER JAYHAWK EVER.

CONGRATS jEROD.

2 years, 8 months ago

Actually, it's the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB):

Agree with the sentiment, though. Good luck Mr. Floor Burns!

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

UAB started with a fine coach in Gene Bartow once, so it's not surprising they recognized Haase. If Jarrod can get players he will coach them well and Dean/Roy Ball will have a future. That is important. That strain of ball must not perish and it is in jeopardy right now. I don't recall any other disciples that have survived.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

erratum 2: Rex Walters is alive and well at USF! Sorry Rex.

Displayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

The roots of the Kansas basketball tree grow longer! Good Luck Jerod!

lincase 2 years, 8 months ago

One of my all time favorites. He never quit.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 8 months ago

“I don’t even care,” he said. “I don’t care one bit. I don’t like domes, but they love me, it seems like, because we won, you know"

I know this quote is sort of out of context. But, when a player makes a statement that he doesn't like something and not indicate that he's willing to seek the answer to a nagging and blaring deficiency in his productivity because of that dislike, it sounds a lot like he's being selfish and not having the team's goals as his goals. Negative statements like "I don't even care", "I don't care one bit" and "I don't like domes" set the tone for his single minded, self-centered attitude. Then to go further and to suggest that "they love me, it seems, because we won" is very much taking ownership for the victory, also a self centered attitude.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, he had 22 points for the game. But, until there was only about 4 inutes left, he only had 10. True, he had some assists and steals, in the first 30 minuts that he played. But, as in other recent post season games, he seems to turn his attention to scoring only at the end of a close game. His lack of efficiency with 3 pointers in games in domes could be a problem in the next game/s that could spell the difference in our victory or defeat, should he lay back until the last few minutes to try to "save the game" without previously contributing points consistently. Driving to the basket has not worked against some tournament teams for him. He needs to play a complete game start to finish.

jayhawkfox 2 years, 8 months ago

Taylor bashing??? Really have to disagree with your take here.
As stated in the article, it was pointed out to him the day before the NC game about his 0-fer from 3 in domes, much to his surprise. After the NC game he was asked about it again. If you had watched the press conference, he was laughing and smiling when answering. "I don't even care" etc... because he was happy to have won the game. To ascribe this as self-centered is ridiculous.
As far as points...I didn't realize you get more credit for points scored before 4 minutes left??? Personally, I will take the bulk of Taylor's points in the last 4 minutes to win a game...but hey, that's just me.

cklarock 2 years, 8 months ago

The quote was given immediately following an underdog win over the #2 team in the country that sent his team to the Final Four. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that he didn't care one bit about his shooting in that game (as he won) and neither did any of the other Jayhawks sitting on that podium.

Poor read -- you don't have to go looking for something to get all Eeyore over. TT plays with huge heart.

benshawks08 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow. Yes it is extremely out of context. If you had heard it in context there is no way you could come up with that analysis. It was a fun lighthearted moment after a big win. A reporter brought that up and I thought Tyshawn handled it extremely well. He was able to laugh at himself and shrug it off instead of being upset and internalizing it. The only way for him to break that streak is to not think about it. I think he knows that and is doing everything he can to get himself there. If you think after watching that game that he was laying back and waiting for the end to start actually playing then you have bigger problems. Love TT's heart!

AsadZ 2 years, 8 months ago

memhawk, Your commnet is out of context. I felt that TT's response was awesome and very humorous actually. He is quick to respond and answer the questions very well, perhaps he is learning from Bill Self.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

I thought it was actually a very positive response. Someone called him out on how poorly he shoots in domes from the 3 point line. He probably never had even thought about it. Players have slumps and players get out of slumps. After another win in a dome, he basically slapped the question in one of the reporter's face, by stating that domes love him...he wins.

Let's be honest we don't care what he shoots from 3 if we win.

Your analysis also doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you also look at your 10 to 22 point analysis. You will look in the beginning of the game he was the guard that was being passed to, in order to start the fast breaks, TRele and EJ finished. However, when they switched to the 2-3 zone he became the runner and EJ was the guard to start the fast breaks. This led to scoring by Tyshawn.

Your analysis actually forgot to analyze that HCBS drives offense by defense. When the defense shifted so did the offense.

Nice try to dish on Tyshawn, but in this case it actually made it look like you were trying to dig up dirt like TMZ instead of doing some actual research.

hawksince51 2 years, 8 months ago

I will admit that I do not like the "3" period. It usually seems to hurt us and help the other team. Ironically, it helped us Sunday when we only hit a few because UNC could not figure out what to do against our semi-zone so started lobbing up futile 3's (0 for 4 in the critical time at the end) ala KU against Rhode Island years ago. And EJ's 3 was huge. Anyway, I have long felt it is a wasted posession for TT to shoot a 3, especially in the NCAAs dome or not. He is much more effective as a driver, passer, or pull upper and shoot the 10 to 15 ft. jumper. Let EJ shoot the 3's as he is more likely to hit them. So far as Teahan, I'd say shoot 2 and if he doesn't hit one shut him down. He seems to be a streak shooter. So far as the rest of the team, T-Rob should never shoot a 3 and Releford only when he is really feeling it.

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

It's a little strange that you say EJ is more likely to hit 3's than TT, considering that TT's percentage during the season was MUCH better than EJ's. I realize that TT has had problems in domes and in the tournament in general, but that doesn't mean it can't change. He hit over 40% of his threes during the season, so I don't think it makes sense to say he should never shoot them in the tournament. It becomes a problem when he takes them at a stupid time, like late in the UNC game when there four UNC defenders and no one underneath and he jacked one up. NOBODY should have shot a three in that situation. But if the ball has been moved around and he has a good look, I don't have a problem with him taking it, even with the slump he's been in.

mem,

Barnes shot like sheiss two straight games in that mausoleum dome TT just lead KU to victory on. Would you be saying the same about Barnes were UNC advancing to New Orleans?

The statistics of the two KU games indicate all three teams shot poorly in St. Louis.

KU and UNC seemed to shoot worse the second game than the first.

Therefore: it seems probable that dome distortion starts the missing, then leg fatigue worsens the problem.

In Tyshawn's case, the problem is compounded, because he is finally having his season's slump. Every player on the team has been through an extended shooting slump at one time or another, but Tyshawn. He has been phenomenally consistent and 42% or better from trey all season, until maybe the last regular season game, or maybe the first conference tournament game.

No player can avoid going into a slump eventually in a season. The greatest shooters in basketball history have at least one slump each season, sometimes more.

Though it is nice to hope he breaks out in New Orleans, it is not probable that he will. And it is no fault of his own. This happens almost every year to a player in the tournament on some Final Four team.

Analysts often wrongly attribute it to choking in a big game, when it is nothing of the kind.

The chokers are easy to pick out. Their entire game goes away, not just their shooting eye.

Notice that Tyshawn grabbed 10 rebounds one game. Notice that Tyshawn made steals both games. Notice that Tyshawn defended very well both games, despite the fouling the second game. Notice that Tyshawn never looked demoralized and threw in the sponge, when UNC was scoring so easily the first half from a great scheme.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Whatever else some may want to say about Tyshawn's great athlete's tendency to attempt the impossible pass, or make the seemingly impossible play, for every TO, for ever charge, he is making vastly more dazzling, momentum grabbing, passes and scores and strips, and stops.

The way for KU to win in New Orleans is to not worry about Tyshawn slumping, to admit he is, and focus on how to get others to pick up the slack, and how to get Tyshawn drives and back doors, and steals and get him rebounding.

Tyshawn is our point guard. If anyone ever stops him cold, we are in a great deal of trouble. But that is the core strategy of any team that plays through a point guard.

Fans are not indicating awareness of an obvious fact, so I am going to risk mastering the obvious and apologize to you for doing so, since it maybe obvious to you already. But it is crucial to understanding this team's success...and its failure were it to fail.

What this team tries to do is gut the point guard head off over the course of the game and let the body die.

Leaving aside for now, the complexity of X's and O's and how you enable things tactically, KU's overriding strategy hinges on the following:

a) Tyshawn is good enough to strangle an opposing point guard defensively, even if it takes 35, or 38 minutes to do it;

b) Tyshawn is good enough to keep offending against the opposing point to 40 minutes;

c) when Tyshawn wears down intermittently, EJ can take over the point for brief stretches that let Tyshawn rest on the floor;

d) whenever the point guard weakens, and the body starts to struggle, the ball goes to Thomas;

e) once the body starts to die, Thomas finishes it off; and

f) we either have a lead, or try to grab a lead around 5 minutes to go and then we make free throws down the stretch to ice the win.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

This is increasingly the script; this is the way this particular team has found to win.

UNC had found another way.

It goes without saying that if you find away to interrupt the other team's script at any vulnerable point in its path, and maintain your script on its path to the end, you win.

UNC, which scored 47 points the first half, needed to score 40 points the second half to follow its script. KU knew that. KU also knew that its own strength was stopping that sort of script. They adjusted and won, because, in fact, they did not need Tyshawn in that situation to make treys to win. They needed him to sooner or later cut the head off the opposing point guard and he did just that. And he has done just that all season long most games.

People, especially the national media, are forgetting Tyshawn Taylor cut the head off the Lo-Hio State point guard Aaron Craft--the one with all the hype, but at the end of the game, the one with no head.

It will be harder for Tyshawn to cut the head off of Craft this time, because Sullinger will be an option for Craft that Craft lacked the last time, but Tyshawn will cut the head off of craft again, if our bigs can contain Sullinger.

Tyshawn is a vastly superior athlete to Aaron Craft. He is vastly more experienced than Craft. He has played four years of college basketball at the highest levels of competition possible. His teams have won 26 games, 30+ games, 30+ games, and 31 games in his four seasons. Tyshawn Taylor is a great athlete who is experienced beyond Aaron Craft's wildest dreams.

Tyshawn is a great defensive player and unless Craft uncorks an absolute career game, Tyshawn will cut his head off again.

And when the head is cut off, the body dies.

In war.

In politics.

In business.

And in basketball.

And Tyshawn does not have to make a single trey to cut Aaron Craft's head off.

And Aaron Craft knows it.

Rock Chalk!

KansasComet 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn has proved he does not have to be the leading scorer for Kansas to win, Nor does he have to hit 3 pointers to be effective. However, he does need to be on the court. An excellent read! Thanks!

surfingjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, you are way over-thinking his statements. He responded to a question/observation with a little levity...which is much-needed going into the final four.

Jeffery Barrett 2 years, 8 months ago

No, you aren't the only one. Only explanation is who wrote it.

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

Good God, all this guarding is gonna make my gourd go goofy!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Had to read it 3 times and now after your post 4 times and I'm still not sure if I know what it means.

I hope it means KU wins.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 8 months ago

I definitely had to re-read it to get it. And I'm sure that you have gotten it by now, but for the rest of the confused readers...

Tyshawn is one of then hardest guard to guard (read: defend), and Craft is a guard known for good guarding (read: on-ball defense)

Clear as mud?

James McGuire 2 years, 8 months ago

It took me a couple tries, but I think I got it: Tyshawn is a difficult guard to defend and he will be defended OSUs Aaron Craft, who is apparently one of the better defensive guards out there.

James McGuire 2 years, 8 months ago

Should have refreshed the page before commenting - didn't see the above two posts. But you're right Atl, that sentence could have been written much better.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

What was the name of the north ATL bar where I watched the game? A KU alum spot. . Great atmosphere.

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

I understand your point Atl (and those of the others who responded), but I actually found the sentence kind of entertaining. I realize that TK was just trying to be cutesy, but I didn't mind it in this case.

ccarp 2 years, 8 months ago

Get your threes the old fashioned way, drive for 2 and get to the line. You got that all day!

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

+1 Plus, if he can force the defender to foul, it adds a foul to the player, and to the opposing team's foul total. Thus, giving KU an advantage at the line at the end of games. And, finally, if that defender has 3 or more fouls he tends to be more conservative on defense.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 8 months ago

Two of the regional finals (East and West) were played in NBA arenas, not domes. Wonder how the Superdome setting will affect those teams (Ohio State and Louisville)???

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 8 months ago

Good point. And the other question is: did either play in a dome this year during the regular season?

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

Louisville played Syracuse in the Carrier Dome earlier this month and lost 58-49.

Bagarski 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn had three turnovers against UNC, not five. Please get your facts straight before you write a story. Checking a box score (ESPN, NCAA.com, etc) is not hard.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 8 months ago

I could have sworn watching the game that he had at least five!

Maybe some of his bad passes were credited to someone else?

jahawkdave 2 years, 8 months ago

Almost all kids grow up shooting and playing ball outside. There is no bigger dome then that. TT go take a couple shooting sessions at a nearby outdoor court, it's all in your head. TT and Teahan have been shooting 3's with a shooting not to miss attitude, instead of a shooting to make it stroke, sounds silly, but it's a big difference, happens all the time at the free throw line. Rock Chalk

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn had one shot that pinballed out....he'll make one in New Orleans....maybe two. :)

His legacy is set...he doesn't have to worry about any of that now.....so now, he can just play.

the point is, it really doesn't matter...with his defense and dribble drives. that's what he should emphasize. Yes, he had a nice year during the season pct. wise on the three, but that's not the focus now.

Neutralize Sullinger, and basically be aggressive like we were in Lawrence the first time, and we'll be fine.

Go Jayhawks!

On the way up...

Dial in more narrow focus.

Dial out more broad focus.

On the way down...

Dial back in the broad focus.

Dial back out the narrow focus.

Upload Sinatra on the Nano for practice at the Dome.

Connect Tyshawn to his Hoboken legacy.

Connect him to Frankie, the other guy from Hoboken who, just as Tyshawn now has, then had more art and style in performance in his little finger than all the rest of them in his field combined.

Cue "New York."

Plug in the buds.

Shoot the treys in practice in the dome.

Repeat after me...

"If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere..."

And know he'll be playing for the Knicks some day, not the Nets.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Sinatra was originally from Hoboken. Isn't TT from there as well?

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 8 months ago

the cavernous space of a Dome is like shooting from distance out here on the flat high plains of West Texas. Right now Taylor's shot is just a little flat as evidenced by the rim rattler's he has put up. Most threes are a little strong because of the changed trajectory. The bigger question is, does Taylor really need the three ball? My answer is NO. So far he has proven he can get to the lane where good things happen. He has also shown he can hit at any of what I call those "Around the World" areas (history lesson for young'ins, Around the World is a game where you must make in succession shots along the lane, up one side down the other, then move out two feet and come back around. In old school days it forced one to develop off the glass shots as well as not). I think Ohio St. is willing to give up that mid range jumper and to me Taylor has proven he can knock it down.

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

I would disagree about him not needing the three point shot. Yes he can get to the lane at will, but that is largely because of his usually good 3 point shooting. Defenders have to respect his 3 point shooting which means they can't back off to defend his driving ability as well as they would like to which makes it easier for Taylor to blow by his defender and get into the paint. If Taylor was a terrible 3 point shooter, defenders could back off a couple of step to give them more room to defend his drives and force him to pass a lot more instead of getting into the lane and drawing fouls or giving T-Rob and Withey easy looks at the rim. So while Taylor is someone who should never be camping out exclusively behind the 3 point line, it is important to his game to knock a couple down to keep the defense from focusing exclusively on his ability to drive the lane.

tis4tim 2 years, 8 months ago

Nevermind the 3-point shots. As long as they're good looks (i.e. not a 1 on 3 anti-fastbreak) I can live with whatever the outcome. If, however, TT doesn't cut out the lazy one-handed push passes just after crossing the timeline, Craft will score in double digits based on steals and layups alone. McAdoo had at least four points on interceptions of such passes in the UNC game.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

You are right about the treys. With Thomas and Withey around the basket, even with Sullinger around, Tyshawn missing a trey is at least a good chance for a high percentage stick back. I really don't want Tyshawn going to a mid range game. Take it to the iron, or dish, or shoot from behind the trey stripe. It gets the opponent fouled up, it gets our bigs involved, and should he make treys it creates momentum.

Re: Craft...I don't see him getting many steals this time around. Once Tyshawn has seen a player, his timing adjusts and then his superior speed kicks in. I do see him having a harder time penetrating on Craft, because the defender always has the advantage on the second meeting...not on strips, but on knowing how much ground to give to stay with the offender.

But once two players know each other, greater speed and quickness prevail, as the advantage of any particular skill can be better minimized.

The only way to deal with greater speed is to lay off more.

Tyshawn will cut the head off Aaron Craft again with defense, and not the other way around, unless the refs like Craft's jib more than TT's. Referees liking one point guard more than another is the way refs most often unintentionally bias the outcomes of games. Fortunately, Tyshawn has learned this lesson the hard way from last season. A point guard that knows how to handle referees is worth 5 points easily. Tyshawn is faster and more experienced and he has seen Craft before. The defender always has the advantage in the rematch. Advantage Tyshawn.

At the same time, it is much tougher for Tyshawn to be the dazzling offensive point guard that he is, when he does not have his trey gun sighted in. Recent games prove that.

Shooting 42% from trey this season, has, in combination with his blinding speed, made him unstoppable on offense, whenever he really wants to go get a basket, or some free throws. For extended stretches this season, Tyshawn could get a 2 point basket any time he wanted, because they had to guard him tight at the trey, or he would blow the game open from outside, when they didn't.

Thad Matta really has to be scratching his ugly head this week. He knows Tyshawn can and will cut Craft's head off eventually with defense, and the Lo-hio State body will die, when it happens.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

Exactly. Who, in the scramble to get to a loose ball would you put your money on? Taylor. Taylor every time.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

So: Ohio State has to get out of the blocks fast and get an early lead, and then play the most vicious bang ball KU has seen once ahead; that is the only probable chance Lo-hio State has of winning, assuming an average performance from KU.

Lo-hio State can't come from behind, because if it gets behind, Tyshawn will forget completely about offense, put the defensive equivalent of a plastic bag with a draw string over Craft's freshman head and strangle him in no time at all.

So: from the beginning of the game, Lo-hio State has to attack KU's strength with Sullinger and hope for fouls to be called on TRob, or Withey.

Sullinger is going to have Withey on him to begin with to keep TRob out of foul trouble.

And Withey is waaaaay taller, so Sullinger is either going to have to roam outside to shoot j's, which is just a slow death for Lo-hio State, or Sullinger's got to back Withey in, then hook him with an arm, spin and dunk it.

The problem for Matta is: KU has become good at the double because Withey is good at blocking the pass out of the double, and Thomas is so flipping fast and strong at coming to double.

And when Lo-hio State figures out the double, Self is going to switch unexpectedly to the diamond and two...and then out of it...and then back into it...and all the while, Tyshawn is going to be strangling Craft.

So: Matta knows that unless he gets TRob, or Withey fouled up inside, his only real hope of beating KU is getting Tyshawn fouled up.

But that means he's got to have Craft drive into Tyshawn and almost certainly Tyshawn is too fast and experienced to be sucked into fouling Craft that way.

So: Matta has to try to get some fouls on Tyshawn with back screening and get Sullinger some one on one time with Withey, Matta's got to bring his 4 out to screen high, and when he does that Self is going to intermittently go to the diamond and two.

The game hinges not on Sullinger, but on Tyshawn's ability to strangle craft, without getting in foul trouble.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 8 months ago

What I read all over, and I like it, is that with Sullinger, the game is really OSU's to win. I completely disagree. Because OSU hasn't seen our team all year, they have no idea how Withey's improvement has made our defense very nasty. Each player on the floor gave UNC problems, and when UNC got the ball inside later, the results were there. KU is not a team I would ever want to play. Self gets teams figured out. He has a week. That will spell trouble for OSU.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Once Lo-hio State begins to feel the struggle of originating through Craft and feel the struggle of scoring through Sullinger off the double and the triangle and two, then when they begin to try to go to their wings we have got them, because our wings can seriously defend even through bang ball.

KU's defense is like an amoeba. It just keeps flowing up all around you. Its pressure is deceptive this year. It often does not look as intense as in past seasons, but I am pretty convinced that the reason it looks that way is that its guys are so long and they are spreading out so much that even sometimes when the opposing team is feeling a lot of pressure, it does not appear so to us fans.

Invariably, good teams and coaches with a week to prepare can scheme unforeseen ways to beat your defense for a half, so its critical to put a lot points on the board yourself the first half. But when half time comes, if the opposing team has not sharply separated, it better be prepared to score no more than 20-30 points the second half, because Tyshawn usually "amoebatizes" the other point guard by the ned and EJ and Travis and Conner have contained the other perimeter players, and it gets damned hard to score on KU down the stretch. When KU is right down the stretch, the other team has to make big plays just to get any basket.

The obvious way to beat KU is to foul up one or both of EJ and Tyshawn early and have a serious scoring threat on the perimeter for our perimeter subs, Conner and Naadir to contend with.

Its easy to say than do, however, for a couple of reasons.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

First, refs don't call many fouls on perimeter players, if they aren't pressuring.

Second, Self has made absolutely clear through out the season, that he is entirely willing to sand bag until ten, or seven minutes, if necessary, to make sure Tyshawn and EJ are in the game down the stretch.

So: its clear, if you want to beat KU without Tyshawn and/or EJ in the game, you better do it the first 30 minutes of the game, because Self is not going to play the last ten minutes without them. Period.

I think many KU fans have failed to recognize this; to realize that KU can play fabulous defense anytime Self throws the switch, but KU just does have to protect its starters for down the stretch.

I find myself at times wondering 10 minutes into the first half, or 7 minutes into the second half, "Can KU actually can stop the other team?" I ask, because it looks like either our team just is not able to guard their guys, or because our guys seem a step slow from fatigue.

But the first five are a great defensive unit that can turn it on and strangle any most any conventional team, and by going small with Kevin and/or Conner, they can contain a 4 guard team. And if they other team has some match-up advantages they can confuse them with the triangle and two.

Bang ball is the toughest of all for this team to play well in, and so we are going to see Lo-hio State really get down and dirty, I reckon.

Its going to be exciting as all get out.

Rock Chalk!

"Dome Free"

(A Duet to be sung for Quantum T by Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga before the start of the KU game to ensure he goes 5-5 from trey versus Lo-hio State. And, yes, they would sing this, if asked, for our stellar guard from Sinatraville.)

Dome free, as free as the threes flow As free as the trinity Dome free to follow your heart

Shoot free and trinities arc true The swish will astound you Each time you shoot it from far

Stay free, where no fouling divides you You're free as the roaring tide So there's no need to hide

Dome free, and treys are worth giving But only worth giving 'Cause you're dome free

(Stay free, where no picks can divide you) You're free as the roaring tide So there's no need to hide

Shoot free, and life is worth living But only worth living 'Cause you're dome free

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

perhaps the "Guard, Guarded, Guarding" trinity in the last paragraph.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Why the trinity of all trinitarians, all threspians, all those that perfecta the trifecta and pop the triceratop, of course! :-)

flyingfinn 2 years, 8 months ago

In response to icthawkfan316 and having lived and worked in Mizzou for many years I have found somethings to be interesting about others rooting for KU. We have K-State friends and Mizzou grads that actually were very nice and congratulated us on KU's recent runs in the tourney. The most rabid , hateful Mizzo fans are the ones that live in Mizzery but did not even go to Mizzou. I call them Mizzou want-a-be's and for the life of me I do not understand their mentality at all; I think that they are REALLY still living in Civil War times. I wear my KU colors all of the time and most people while giving me some good natured kidding are pretty nice, but the ones mentioned above are total A$$holes.

2 years, 8 months ago

No matter what college or university, sidewalk fans are typically the worst kind of fans. With few exemptions, they are the most obnoxious and insufferable. They likely are trying to prove to people who actually attend/attended said institution of higher learning that they are just as good if not better fans. Sadly, they are usually the most fair-weather, thus they often suffer extremity injuries jumping on and off the bandwagon.

Exception: Antlers make sidewalk fans look like Nobel Peace Prize candidates

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of Big 12 matters, SI.com has reported sources claiming that Frank Martin is taking the South Carolina job. If he was actually cut ouf of the loop in the decision to suspend Jamar Samuels the day before the Tournament, I figured he was bound to wave goodbye to the Wildcats the moment a decent opportunity arose to get back closer to his Florida recruiting base.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Have to wonder how Martin's honest admittance of giving money to former high school players (while they played in college) will be accepted down the road. He didn't name names (players) but it's bound to stir the NCAA into some kind of inquiry. And just when I was starting to like Martin's new personality, he leaves KSU. I thought he was a positive for the conference. With W. Virginia joining the Big 12, I guess Martin won't get to coach against Cubby Bear after all. Also have to wonder how this will effect KSU's incoming recruiting class. I think Upshaw could be a great add for them down low, if he still ends up at KSU.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 8 months ago

Domes suck for fans, especially when they put the court in the middle of the football field. All seats except for those on the field itself suck. They have to pump music from the band over the loudspeakers to hear it. The tourney belongs in basketball arenas.... there are some awesome venues out there for NBA teams.

On another note.... The 'experts' forget one huge thing when comparing matchups for the KU/OSU game. The Coaches. To me that's huge. That's why we beat UNC.

2 years, 8 months ago

The average attendance for the three St. Louis regional games was about 24,000. For the sake of a money grab with 5,000 extra seats filled, they sacrifice a much better viewing (and likely playing) experience that could be enjoyed in a standard basketball arena. Sad indeed.

WilburNether 2 years, 8 months ago

Way to go, idiot reporter. Now he's going to be jacking up one 3 after another to try to shed this "jinx."

Wilbur, Wilbur, Wilbur...

Repeat after me:

I will go positive one more minute every day of my life until I can do it round the clock and then I will keep going positive the rest of my life...because KU needs my positive vibes.

And I will do nothing but praise jaybate for the secret of happiness that had up to that point escaped me.

Then you say:

Rock Chalk!

That's all there is to it, Wilbur, that and change your alias to "WilburPositive."

:-)

jgkojak 2 years, 8 months ago

If I could pick a rival? I'd like KSU to be a Top 20 program and make those games incredible every year. Since that's a long way from happening thanks to Curry, second would be Iowa State, who we have a longtime series with and who always plays us tough.

My top 3 coaches to hire: 1) Bill Self 2) Danny Manning - no seriously, he'd recruit the big men, even to a mid major 3) Izzo

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 8 months ago

Best comment" Roy couldn't win ugly. How true. Very frustrating. If KU was playing poorly you knew they were going to lose.

As far as Ty Taylor? He will get over it. It could be a depth perception thing with having to look up at the time clock, perhaps the distance and placement of the clock is related. Be interesting to see if he could just look at ground level to see the clock what the effect would be.

Gil Ek 2 years, 8 months ago

Final Four should be in Allen Fieldhouse every year!!! To Hades with all the dome BS.

Hawktacular 2 years, 8 months ago

Fact: we didn't need Tyshawn to hit threes to win on Sunday vs. UNC and we don't need him to hit threes on Saturday to beat OSU. Tyshawn needs to play his game on Saturday and the offense will come.

Fact: Monday we need everyone to hit threes. Self might even need to hit a couple.

Final Four- this is so awesome! Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Short form response to icthawkfan316:

1] Yes 2] Fired 3] Baylor [Drew, the new Quinny] 4] Manning

Tony Parker, we'll be great next year, EJ, TR, JW, BenMac and Perry, Landon Lucas, another big would be nice, we are great this year, TRob hands down, let's talk about Tyshawn, no one get injured, OSU is going down at full strength and due to high pressures boiler plates need to be relative thick with pop-riveted joints.

Good enough??

Haven't you heard?

TRob invested in some penny stocks and made a killing. He can afford to come back. He wants to because he wants be the first KU big man to lead a team to two straight national championships.

You read it here first.

It ain't true.

But I wish it were.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 8 months ago

"Taylor’s next assignment pits one of the toughest guards to guard against Ohio State’s Aaron Craft, one of the guarding guards."

What a ridiculous attempt at a coherent thought.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

"Some Keeganisms that the Editors Did Not Miss Last Night"

~Johnsons’s next assignment pits one of the most workman like 2 guards to guard against Ohio State’s Lenzelle Smith, another one of the most workman like guarding guards."

~"Sullinger...hick-up...will not guard...hick-up...Robinson. He will...hick-up...Withey."

~"Destillery Thomas will guard Thomas Bushmills."

~"Travis Daniels Red will guard W.L. Buford Weller."

~KU may come out cold as ice in a tumbler."

~Ohio State is almost certain to score a snifter of points.

(Note: all fiction. No malice. Cheers, Tom.)

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 8 months ago

I prefer Ty driving at the basket anyway...

JayhawkInMO 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm not worried at all about 3's. KU just needs to play like they did in the 2nd half against NC. If they do, they are better than OSU and Kentucky.

KansasComet 2 years, 8 months ago

Not the least bit concerned about Tyshawn Taylor making 3 pointers. He is one of my favorite guys and I believe in him. I am more worried about foul trouble. Sullinger tends to draw a lot of fouls. To me, that is the key to the game. If we stay out of foul trouble and get rebounds, we should be in good shape. Elijah has shown he can be "Mr. Big Shot" if we need that. Let's let Tyshawn do what he does best, play great basketball and score baskets by any means.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Now thinking about it. When KU played UK, we lost during about a 4-6 min span, and UK was drilling the 3s (we weren't quite shifting on our D).

If UK somehow makes it the championship, this dome thing might actually be a good thing for KU. UK is more dependent on the 3 and with domes in theory would be more prone to miss.

Don't count the Jayhawks out (like all of those ESPN announcers did, I think in the 3rd round).

DRsmith 2 years, 8 months ago

The dome can screw shooting up but there probably isn't a team left that relies on the 3 less than UK. You don't shoot as many free throws as they do by jacking up 3's all game.

tommy glenn 2 years, 8 months ago

Im so jealous of all you guys that live in such close proximity to all that is KU, but do not believe there are not those of us far away that dont share your passion. Do you know how hard it is to get KU stuff in myrtle beach sc?????? i have to order everything, but i do share you guys (and gals) passion, and want you all to know jayhawk nation is alive and well.....my daughter was videoing me on sunday when we won....take a look..... http://youtu.be/OedYdc8PLRI