Kansas defeats North Carolina, 80-67

• 4:05 p.m., March 25, 2012
  • Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis, MO

Monday, March 26, 2012

Four-ward! Believe it — KU in Final Four

Kansas players crowd around head coach as they are presented with the Midwest Regional trophy as they celebrate the Jayhawks' 80-67 win over North Carolina to advance to the Final Four on Sunday,  March 25, 2012 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

Kansas players crowd around head coach as they are presented with the Midwest Regional trophy as they celebrate the Jayhawks' 80-67 win over North Carolina to advance to the Final Four on Sunday, March 25, 2012 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

KU players parade their Final Four trophy to the locker room

Kansas players parade their Final Four trophy to the locker room following Sunday's 80-67 victory over North Carolina.

Thomas Robinson, Elijah Johnson and other Jayhawks cut down nets

Thomas Robinson, Elijah Johnson and other Jayhawks cut down the nets following Kansas' 80-67 victory over North Carolina on March 25, 2012.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 80-67 victory over North Carolina on March 25, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU's starters discuss victory over UNC

Kansas' starters — Tyshawn Taylor, Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey — discuss the Jayhawks' 80-67 victory over North Carolina.

Download podcast

KU vs. North Carolina

Box score

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self motioned wife Cindy, daughter Lauren and son Tyler onto the court as his Jayhawk players partied on the podium after an 80-67 Elite Eight victory over North Carolina on Sunday in Edward Jones Dome.

“Unbelievable,” Self said as he hugged and kissed Cindy.

“Can you believe it?” he intoned, engulfing KU junior Lauren in a bear hug.

“That was great, huh?” he exclaimed, patting Free State High senior Tyler on the back.

You’d better believe KU’s ninth-year mentor was beaming after his No. 2-seeded Jayhawks (31-6) held explosive No. 1 seed (32-6) Carolina scoreless the last 3:58, using a wild 12-0 run to blow open a 68-67 nail-biter.

“I love them,” Self said, referring this time to not his blood relatives but his extended family — his 2011-12 players, who will meet Ohio State in a Final Four semifinal approximately 7:49 p.m. Saturday in the New Orleans Superdome. They’ve propelled him to his second Final Four overall, KU’s first since the 2008 national title team.

“In ’08 I was happy for the kids, but me, too. When we won in ’08, I felt I got a gorilla off my back,” said Self, who at that time was tagged the best coach never to reach a Final Four. “Now I’m just happy for the kids and the school. It’s so much fun to do something when nobody thinks you can.”

Self gave an emotional talk to his Midwest Regional championship team in the locker room after hugging players such as regional MVP Thomas Robinson (18 points, nine rebounds) and all-tourney team player Tyshawn Taylor (22 points, six rebounds, five assists, five steals), who wore their Final Four souvenir hats backwards with strands of the Jones Dome nets tied onto their caps’ strap.

Jeff Withey also made the all-tourney team after scoring 15 points off 5-of-5 shooting with eight rebounds on the night and coming up with two huge blocks in that 12-0 run.

“Coach said this is a great team to coach. He said in ’08 he felt we had to make it there. He said this year was different (with no McDonald’s All-Americans to North Carolina’s six),” senior guard Conner Teahan said of the postgame speech.

“He said he’s never seen a team play better in a big-time game,” added Teahan, an effective ball-mover who missed the only shot he took in 13 minutes Sunday night.

The Jayhawks were superb offensively the first half in hitting 56.3 percent of their shots (to UNC’s 63.6 mark) as the squads played to a 47-47 tie. But defense (a triangle-and-two proved effective the final eight minutes) carried the Jayhawks the second half, holding UNC to miserable 22.6 percent shooting, 0-for-10 beyond the arc.

KU hit 35.5 percent the second half and made four of 14 threes overall to UNC’s two of 17.

“We gave up 47 points the first half. You can’t win a game doing that,” Robinson said. “We knew we had to do a better job on defense the second half. We held North Carolina to 20 points in a half (to KU’s 33). Our guards were great on the perimeter. I’m so proud of this team.”

Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford spent the last eight minutes chasing Harrison Barnes (13 points, 5-for-14 shooting) as well as Reggie Bullock and P.J. Hairston.

Johnson also had one of the key offensive plays of the game. He stuck a three-pointer with 3:09 left, starting that 12-0 run with a huge bucket that boosted a 68-67 lead to 71-67.

“I wouldn’t want to go home tonight saying I could have shot that three that he backed off of me on,” Johnson said of a Carolina perimeter defender daring him to shoot. “He took a step backward, and I made him pay for it. I keep finding myself in these situations where in a late game I’m taking that shot. It wasn’t something I panicked about or got nervous about.

“I did what I do. I shot the ball,” added Johnson, who had 10 points off 3-of-11 shooting.

After that, it was Withey’s defense that led to offense.

First, he blocked a John Henson shot leading to a Taylor driving layup and ensuing free throw that gave the Jayhawks a 74-67 advantage at 1:59. Then Withey blocked an attempt by Stilman White, who scored four points off 1-for-5 shooting with seven assists and no turnovers in playing for the injured Kendall Marshall.

On the other end, Travis Releford finished a dunk, and KU led, 76-67, at 1:13.

“I had two blocks for the game, and they came at the end,” grinned Withey, who actually had three rejections in 28 minutes. His two blocks came after he was whistled for his fourth foul with 3:58 left. “I wasn’t worried about the foul situation. At that point of the game, you have to play.”

“I said something to Jeff as soon as we got to the locker room,” Taylor said. “To make that play with four fouls, to get the block and tip it out to me, was huge.”

“How ’bout Withey?” Self asked. “He had a great regional. He was fantastic against North Carolina State (in Sweet 16), too.”

Of not taking him out with four fouls, Self said: “You’ve got to win the game. Some coaches will take him out. If we had a four-point lead, I may have taken him out a possession or two. But in a tight game like that, I was going to let it ride.”

Releford hit one free throw at :49 and Johnson followed with two at :36, giving the crowd an opportunity to break into a loud “Rock Chalk Chant” with a 79-67 lead at :36.

“There’s no better feeling since I started playing basketball,” Withey said. “The last two years we fell short (in Elite Eight and second round). This time we made it, no better feeling.”

Robinson, who hit six of 16 shots but five of five free throws on a night KU made 18 of 24 charities to Carolina’s nine of 12, said the key was the Jayhawks’ deciding at a team meeting Saturday they had to be aggressive, not tentative or nervous, against the Tar Heels.

“They have great players,” Robinson said. “Zeller (Tyler, 12 points, six boards) is the strongest post player I’ve guarded in my life. White stepped up big-time. They’ve got a great team, but we were able to come out aggressive and stay with them the first half and play defense with that triangle the second half.”

The two teams came out firing, with the Jayhawks leading 40-33 with 3:59 left. UNC then went on a 14-5 run to grasp a 47-45 lead.

“They played terrific the first half,” Taylor said, “but we didn’t back down, either. We came out aggressive, then switched defenses the second half and kind of confused them. I couldn’t be more proud of this team.”

“This game meant a lot to us and the people who support this program,” Robinson said. “It meant a lot to this team. Except for Tyshawn, everybody on this team made the transition from role players to main players. Nobody thought we could do it, but we did it.”

Comments

bbeckum 7 years, 7 months ago

let me be the FIRST to say Congrats!

LAJayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

TRob is the ONLY unanimous selection for AP 1st team All-American. The last unanimous pick was Blake Griffin in 2009.

Rock Chalk, TRob. Absolutely well deserved.

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

" Ho Ho Ho... Now, you are 0-3 against me..."

jayhawker_97 7 years, 7 months ago

let's be greedy. don't settle at FF, let's make it all the way to another championship!! at this point, the doubters believe what KU team is made out of. we've played them all (except the Cards). MK-who? Anthony-who? mcDonalds, AA, super frosh, they mean no sh!t. we are Kansas! we will prevail!

rock chalk, Jayhawk!!!

packywacky88 7 years, 7 months ago

80 minutes of Defense and it is ours!!!! RCJH!!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 7 months ago

For the more astute fans..What do you think of the Triangle + 2 defense? If UNC had shot better from the three..would KU have been forced to go back to man on man or a different zone?

Self had this team prepared to play. Last night was the most I've seen KU play zone in quite a while. Self did an OUTSTANDING job and out coached Roy... not an easy thing to do despite what the haters say.

mumpy1 7 years, 7 months ago

All I can say is what a game!!! New Orleans, here we come!!!

Doug Cramer 7 years, 7 months ago

Thank you Dicky V. for picking Ohio State to beat us.

More fuel for the fire...exactly what this team needs !!!

Love how this team focuses when playing with house MONEY !!!

Rock Chalk !!!

SaltLakeHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

"Playing with house money" "The tournament is all about match-ups"

I nominate both phrases for the "overused sports phrases of 2012" award.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

I believe "...and one" wins in a landslide.

KansasComet 7 years, 7 months ago

Great game from all Kansas Jayhawk players. Clutch performance from a clutch team. Kansas Jayhawks in the Final Four. Well deserved! When this team is focused, they are very hard to beat. Great defense. I look forward to playing Ohio State. Everyone on the team played their role and they played it well. No one tried to do too much. The second half was a thing of beauty! Go Jayhawks!!

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 7 months ago

It's great to know how much joy HCBS is getting out of this return trip to the Final Four. No pressure on any of you guys, just go do your thing, we'll be cheering you on. I'll be smiling about this win for months, I'll be smiling about this season every time I think back to it in the future. I know these guys want to take OSU with Sullinger, and I know these guys want another shot at Kentucky. I hope they get everything they want and more.

actorman 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey, he ain't the only one with those picks!

packywacky88 7 years, 7 months ago

Just got home from STL. I drove 14 hours on the road today and I would do it again tomorrow. I experienced a wonderful omen today driving down to the game. For the first 3 hours, I had to find my way through heavy PHOG!!!! All I could think of was BEWARE!!! (and look for deer)

Amazing rebuilding year?!?! Bought my ticket from a kid wearing a Missouri Tiger t-shirt. After he handed over the ticket, he asked me what team I was going to cheer for....I replied "I'm a Jayhawk". The look on his face was priceless !!!!! Worth the 14 hr drive alone. The game was just icing on the cake.

actorman 7 years, 7 months ago

Beautiful! Maybe you should have said Norfolk State.

nighthawking 7 years, 7 months ago

Loved it. I Know all of you that watched realize that this was a better game than the final score. Love me some Jayhawk Basketball.

nighthawking 7 years, 7 months ago

Just so you know this is a real picture of me last summer. Thanks for the compliment.

SanFranHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

AMEN!

KULA 7 years, 7 months ago

Thomas---Player of the Year Tyshawn--Best guard in America Jeff-------Shot blocking Stud (Tyler Zeller, meet Jeff Withey) Travis-----What do you need Coach? I'll do it. Elijah------Clyde

Jack Wilson 7 years, 7 months ago

I assume you mean Walt Frazier, not Lovellette, right?

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Conner----- for only taking one shot, knowing his role was to guard, harass, support and buy time for "The Five" Maybe the best "un-noticed" performance of the year.

RJ King 7 years, 7 months ago

KY ----- Cardio Ballmonary Resuscitation Connor ------ Conduit for "Lightbulb Goes On" (shared his four-year tournament experience with teammates. Paraphrasing: "we won in 2008 because we listened to coach, followed his plan . . . something we got away from in 09, 10, and 11")

Alohahawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Would you believe it, KU has played two of the other 3 teams in the Final Four. KU's pre-conference schedule couldn't have been much better. 2/3rds of the scouting is already done, Louisville being the only wild card. The coaching staff has a lot of time to prepare, and the Jayhawks will be well rested. The Ohio State game should be a real dogfight since the Buckeyes will want to avenge their loss to KU on December 10th. Should be quite a grudge match.

Only problem: The eternity us fans have to wait while anticipating the next game.

omng392 7 years, 7 months ago

Great Game KU players!!! Way to Go!! Great job Coach!!! This has be HCBS best coaching job in 9 years!! The way he was willing to go to a Triangle and Two to shut down Carolina shows me that he's taken the next step.. He didn't need to take much of a step but I think he's realized that sometimes you've got to step away from the Man to Man to change momentum, and the truly shows how great of a coaching job Self has done!!! Great players, GREAT COACH!!!

7 years, 7 months ago

The Rock Chalk Chant sure sounded good on TV last night :^)

Alohahawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Heard it, loud and clear! As a member of the Jayhawk Nation, it makes you proud to be a Jayhawk every time that chant echoes out across an arena, ending another well fought game.

Ben Kane 7 years, 7 months ago

gotta give it up to coach Self. When he first got here he was all high-low and man to man and he has really expanded his bag of tricks over the last few years.

knew the second half would be more defensive since we were fighting foul trouble in the first and trying not pick up any more but I never dreamed we'd hold them to 20 points.

Sam Brockert 7 years, 7 months ago

You know, I have always believed that when you ahve talent and you blow out everyone you play, you tend to think nothing is wrong with your bag o tricks, and you leave it alone. Then, when you lose, you tend to think of it more as a "fluke" or "bad luck" the fact is, the lack of talent has made Bill Self think more...I hate this phrase but it is appropriate "outside the box". He believed that the lack of offensive scoring was going to necessitate defenses that could confuse the opponent long enough for KU to score some points, but would not be TOO far away from straight up man to man. I think he finally sees that you can not be stubborn, you must do WHATEVER it takes to win. You can't always just rely on talent alone. Years like this really help coaches grow. You never grow when things come easily...

FairwayKS 7 years, 7 months ago

Heckuva' bracket there Chuckie. If you don't have KU in the Final Four, you shouldn't be allowed to post.

RJ King 7 years, 7 months ago

Your bracket wears the cloak of invisibility, rendering your criticism worthless.

FLJHK 7 years, 7 months ago

When they first made the defensive switch in the 2nd half, I was confused. I didn't even recognize it at first. I thought what is this? This isn't Kansas basketball. This is no time for a gimmick defense.

A short while later I concluded that this Bill Self guy just might know a thing or two about basketball. Possibly even more than me!

I love this team. I love this coaching staff. I feel so very blessed to be a Jayhawk. Thank you team and congratulations to you all. Let's get 2 more wins.

Rock Chalk!

JD Roth 7 years, 7 months ago

He knows a lot more than you, thank goodness!! Ohio State is next!!

addlime 7 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. NC looked good and scored on first possession against triangle and 2. I bitched about gimmick defense. But it really worked after that. Seems like NC tried to shoot over it but they weren't hitting the shots. Without a great ball handler they couldn't penetrate with dribble and pull it apart. Great decision and great win!

LSHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

What a game, what a season. Love being a Jayhawk!!

Eric J. Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm surprised more opposing coaches don't know to expect the triangle-and-two defense from Bill in tight situations. He used it in the K-State and Mizzou games to great effect, and he's used other hybrid zones before (like the box-and-one in the 2008 championship game, although, admittedly, Derrick Rose then immediately caught fire). He's a better coach than to blindly stick to a defense that's not working (coughsyracusecough).

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

He also used it against Purdue! I think I would have an asterik (*) or a special note that says, "Kansas uses a Triangle and 2 defense" to mix things up!

Yeah, to this day I disagree going to that gimmick defense in the 2008 championship game. You are exactly correct, that was when Rose scored 12 of his 18 points.

Nonetheless, you won't catch That Matta off guard with it so let's just go play some ball on Saturday!

nighthawking 7 years, 7 months ago

Haha ! Syracuse was in the zone alright....Boeheim meets Rod Serling.

Displayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Somebody tell Kimmie English we are NOT Kentucky or UCLA ........ We are F'ing KANSAS! RCJH!

sydhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Somebody ask Kimmie English whose town St. Louis is...

Displayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Freakin' LJW word cops changed all my capital letters! On a side note, I'm glad Mizzery won their National Championship game! (The Big 12 Conference Tournament final that nobody except them cares about!) I saw a guy yesterday wearing his fraudulent yellow "Mizzou - Big 12 Champs" shirt and just had to laugh!

FairwayKS 7 years, 7 months ago

The Big 12 TOURNAMENT championship trophy is akin to the Governor's Cup that's up for grabs when the KC Chiefs play the St. Louis Rams. Means nothing and takes up space in a needless trophy case. Kinda' like Mizzou...they mean nothing and take up space.

corvuscorax 7 years, 7 months ago

off the main subject, but, what happened that I never saw a timely instant replay. Not possible with hoops? Huh?

RJ King 7 years, 7 months ago

It's completely possible in hoops. It's at the discretion of the director in the TV truck, and he/she is at the mercy of the replay operator, dead balls, how much time to go to break, etc.

Every director has their own style, but the exec producer can also direct specifically how he/she prefers the story be told. It was likely a very experienced crew.

madamhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

What a great feeling!

If this has been discussed before, sorry I missed it but I have to ask: Coach Larry Brown has been with this team (home & away) since the home Mizzwho game - possibly before that. What if Dooley gets the chance at his own HC job, do you think Brown wants to step in as asst coach under HCBS? I would hate to lose Dooley as this current caoching staff has great chemistry but with his name popping up with HC possibilities, the right fit will come along. Brown has stated that he misses and wants to get back into coaching...but would he take an asst coach job? Or maybe he's just enoying the weather in Kansas?

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

That's an interesting question! Larry Brown isn't getting any younger and it takes a lot of energy to get out on the recruting trail. I'm sure the other assistants could do most of the recruiting, but recruiting is a tough animal these days.

I could see Larry Brown doing a Barry Hinson type role or being a consultant in some manner. I just don't see Brown being a coach anymore. Not saying it won't happen, but I see him more doing things behind the scenes helping the people he likes....................like Bill Self.

Also, UNC fans are pretty upset that Larry Brown showing allegiance towards Kansas. Not many, but it has been brought up on some message boards. I thought that was funny!

Uwe_Blab 7 years, 7 months ago

I guess we traded Larry Brown for Dean Smith. All good with me.

texashawk10 7 years, 7 months ago

Barry Hinson would probably take Dooley's spot as an assistant coach and possibly Wayne Simien would take over for Hinson if he has any interest in becoming a coach one day.

Katie Bieber 7 years, 7 months ago

That IS an interesting situation! I'm not sure if he'd do it, but how could we not consider offering it if Dooley gets his own program? Actually, what I was thinking would happen if ACJD leaves is to offer a home to Doc Sadler. I still think Doc's a coach with much to offer. It's too hard to win at Nebraska in basketball. Even more difficult than KU football.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 7 months ago

I live in Omaha, and I'm pretty sure Doc's buyout includes the "if you get a new job, you don't get the cash" clause, so that would seem unlikely to take a asst. job and lose the buyout...but who knows.

John Randall 7 years, 7 months ago

The more likely arrangement for a buyout is to reduce the payment by the amount of a new contract, unless it is greater than the buyout amount, in which case it would be canceled. Contracts differ a lot, but this is the most common contingency.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

I kind of agree with Rockchalk about the contract situation. With that said, I really like the potential of a Doc Sadler hire if it all could work out.

I never even considered Sadler, but I think it's a great idea! The only problem is that recruting is such a young person game these days. Any advantage you can get is a plus.

kufaninmo 7 years, 7 months ago

I betcha Self could win at Nebraska though...

Steve Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

1940 1952 1953 1957 1971 1974 1986 1988 1991 1993 2002 2003 2008 2012

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Interesting...5 years are leap years includng all three National Championships!!!!

danmoore 7 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the list lighthawk.

I wish the NCAA would assign a name to the winner of a regional. They could call the Midwest region the Allen Award, the west region the Wooden Award, etc. Sounds better IMO. This is a great accomplishment that I don’t believe gets enough recognition. To me it’s the equivalent of winning a BCS bowl and the banners should be hanging in the rafters of AFH.

tis4tim 7 years, 7 months ago

While the basketball experts always talk about defense winning championships it's important to remember that, for us fans, championships are built on a solid foundation of superstition. Sure, two-week old underwear funk, unsightly butt grooves in once-pristine couch cushions and subsisting solely on Lucky Charms three meals per day are not the recipe for endearing yourself to friends, co-workers, spouses and acquaintances, but any true basketball fan will empathize with you. Quite frankly, those who don't probably aren't worth the effort anyway. So, for chrissakes, whatever you have been eating, wearing, or doing for the past couple of keep it up! I smell championship. No ... it's just me. Anyway, Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Lucky Charms [+ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]

Tom Pritchard 7 years, 7 months ago

Have Jayhawk banner hanging before the game;removed at half time;replaced after the win...Wear the same KU hat..I have been told that I am a little weird..RCJH

Jayhawk444 7 years, 7 months ago

+1 I get it, man. I'm still kicking myself for causing the VCU loss last year by getting a haircut the day before that game!

PurePierce 7 years, 7 months ago

+1 again, at one point yesterday I said to my wife "Notice the job Travis is doing on Barnes?" She said "Hey I haven't even heard his name" Bam! the son of a gun went on his only offensive run he had all game... and we were watching the game delayed on a recording!!! I'm sorry as hell, Travis, I won't let it happen again.

FairwayKS 7 years, 7 months ago

Best post of the season! I, for one, ALWAYS wear my "HAWKAHOLIC" / "Addicted to KU Basketball" T-shirt. Off to buy 5 more boxes of Lucky Charms.

Timmay97 7 years, 7 months ago

Is this heaven.......no it's Lawrence!!!! Rock Chalk

One thing I have to get off my chest. The one guy who will NEVER get the credit he solely deserves on this team is Travis Releford. All the talk is going to be how great a glue guy Aaron Craft is for OSU, etc......Travis Releford absolutely SHUT DOWN Harrison Barnes when he guarded him. He made that kid so uncomfortable trying to drive the lane.

We know our star players are Robinson and Taylor. But as far as I'm concerned, KU will go as far as Travis Releford will take them. To me, he's a difference maker.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone else notice that when Releford slashes to the hoop from the wing, most of the time, good things happen?

Mouseclicker's point above: Seeing the comments from Henson today, it does seem like UNC was caught off guard. And Self's comment that he waited until after halftime to use it so they didn't have a lot of time to discuss it was brilliant. I'm wondering, though, if KU used it vs. Purdue, might you have given it 30 minutes of consideration in your pregame prep?

Best way to beat the triangle and two is to invert a triangle (my opinion). Flash an uncovered player to the free throw line with the two other unocoverd men spitting the one defender at the top. Drop your covered men (the "two") to the block. Those two essentially get double-teamed and you're playing 3 on 1 up top. Lots of mid-range shots. An uncovered wing, the one splitting the top, can also screen down to a covered man either on strong side, or from the wak side. If you move your covered men (or one) wide, your still have a screen game outside. Finally, after inverting the triangle, your covered offensive players can screen for each other .. if they don't switch .. which they usually don't in this defense, you create an opening for a flash to an open spot. If they do switch, you can dictate matchups -- which might have put EJ on Barnes.

But for sure .. without a doubt .. hard to do it against a team whose point guard can penetrate, or is willing to penetrate. Lots of space. But Self gambled right, and the spacing didn't hurt us because UNC's point guard was too timid. When he did penetrate, he made as sweet dump off pass for a hoop. Roy was saying "See, that's what you need to do" .. but he only did it a few times.

Great move by Self.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how you don't know that Kansas and Bill Self have gone to the Triangle 2 when the pressure gets tough in these NCAA Tournament games! I mean, how many times has Bill Self gone to it in the Dance over the year's?

I would have spent some time scheming against a Triangle and 2 personally. I mean, it's not hidden knowledge anymore, but apparently it is! Good Stuff, HEM!

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

BTW, how do you not do a bracket? Mine is completely shot, but surprisingly I redeemed myself a little this past weekend.

I at least got 3 out of the 4 Final 4 teams, but I picked all the wrong upsets!

Jack Wilson 7 years, 7 months ago

Duke, Marquette, Ohio St., and UNC, with OSU as the title team. So barely alive. I was on vacation so didn't get entered here.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

Shaw - I'm in the same boat you are. Same 3 Final Four teams, but went upset happy after listening to too many analysts on ESPN.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

I didn't go upset happy, but I picked a few non sexy picks, but I picked the wrong non sexy picks!

For example, I had Duke losing in the second round to Notre Dame, but it was Xavier who made the sweet 16. I had a couple of situations like that that messed up my brackets, but I'm happy with my Final 4 picks (3)!

I am kicking myself with Mizzou. I should have known better than to trust them. And as for Lousiville, I have to give Pitno credit beause his teams usually make a decent run in the tourny!

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 7 months ago

Did anyone else see the post game news conf with Roy when they asked about the triangle and two and Roy said that we ran it for one play maybe two? Our guys confirmed that we ran it for at least 12 plays! Oops! Looks like Jarod Hasse should have put down the sandwich and done a better job scouting. This team (unc) just got flat out-coached the 2nd half

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, that was funny! I was at a UNC bar here in North Carolina and all the UNC fans were trying to figure out what Kansas was running defensively and I yelled out, "It's a Freaking Triangle and 2 people"!

With that said, teams have to know by now that Kansas runs a Triangle and 2 or Box and 1 when the tough gets going in pressure situations. It's not an uncommon thing anymore. Good obseration, Zig! We do agree on something.

JD Roth 7 years, 7 months ago

That's Mr Haase to you. KU disguised its triangle-and-two well, which is part of its effectiveness being it is a hybrid between a man and zone defense. OSU is next!!

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

So......I've never had a team that has given me this much roller coaster emotion during so many 40 min games over the course of one season. I would love to see my blood pressure in a minute to minute graph over each one of these NCAA Tournament games. Simply Amazing!

I mean, this team has seriously lost a couple year's off my life, but I wouldn't trade it because I'm so excited for Self, The Team, and the University of Kansas. Wow! Wow! Wow! Unfreakinbelievable! Now that the pressure is over..............let's go play Kansas Basketball and win a National Championship with some house money baby!

One stat I would like to point out and I have done it all season..................3 point shooting and attempts. Even though Kansas has shot the ball poorly from behind the arc in this tournament as long as Kansas stays away from the exhibition they put on during the Purdue game, I am happy win/lose with this squad. Just limit the 3 point attempts, attack the paint, and be aggressive attacking the rim................that is all I ask for here on out with this Kansas squad starting saturday against Ohio State.

Detroit-5-16 Purdue-6-24 (Uggg) This game reminded me too much of UNI and VCU jackin up 3's. NC State 1-14 UNC 4-14.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

I would have to say that the EJ "3" that put KU up 4 is the biggest shot of the year thus far. Regardless about what happens in the Final 4, we will look back on that "3" as a defining moment for the season.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

Signs that the world will end in December [but not before we win a NC!!}

1] Conner Teahan actually being the "invisible" glue guy with defense, hustle, steals and buying time for the starters. 2] Coach Williams not in tears after the game. 3] The refs actually calling fouls on Carolina. 4] The Monday St.Louis Post-Dispatch with four pages of action photos and nothing but praise for the Jayhawks. 5] Not one mention of St.Louis Toasted Ravioli or the Clydesdales during the entire broadcast.[maybe Coors being the sponsor had something to do about the horses!!] 6] A Kansas three point shot that actually went in..and what a big shot it was!! 7] Kansas doesn't lose on clear weather leap years.!! 8] More broadcast time on commercials than actual game action....I timed it!!! 9] All four Final Four teams in Blue or Red...except KU who has both. 10] Dick Vitale's perfect prediction record continues from advising Bill Self not to take the Kansas job to North Carolina beating Kansas!!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

PS Scratch #2...just read he cried like a baby....again!!

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 7 months ago

8)... I totally thought on some of those TV timeouts that they were going to come back to the action and I was going to see the teams taking shoot around! Those things were so long, they were like mini halftimes!

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 7 months ago

Not sure about number 9. I know the Cardinals clearly wear cardinal, but those unis they've been wearing in this tourney have got to be orange. No way they're red. What is up with these schools rolling out these ridiculous uniforms. Baylor's highliter unis and now L'Ville wearing orange? I don't get it.

John Randall 7 years, 7 months ago

On a color chart, 'cardinal red' is farther to the orange side of the spectrum than crimson or many other variations of red. If you have a good photo of the state bird of Kentucky (and several others), you'll understand better. Also, maybe spend a few minutes adjusting color and contrast on that big DVTV.

On the Ebony and Chartreuse scheme Nike (or whoever) foisted off on Baylor, I have no advice other than a bonfire at the next pep rally.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

As an addendum to #1, how about Connor Teahan of all players being the first and only Jayhawk with two NCAA Championships?

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

Anybody else notice that Kansas plays pretty darn well in their blue uniforms?

How about this for some food for thought? The last time Louisville and Kansas played in a Final 4 was in 1986. During that Final 4 Kansas brought out the Crimson (Red) uniforms. I know the Crimson jersey's seem to have this curse against them, but I think it would be awesome if Kansas came out in the Red Jersey's! Actually, If Kansas could get by Ohio State, I think Kansas should wear the Crimson jersey's against Kentucky in the Championship should the make it as well! That would be suh weet!

BTW, out of Ohio State and Kansas...........................who gets the higher #2 seed status and is deemed as the "Home" team?

texashawk10 7 years, 7 months ago

I would imagine KU will be in their white uniforms since they are the 5th overall seed and Ohio St. was the 6th overall seed I believe.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

I actually like the crimson jerseys! Was disappointed we didn't roll them out this year.

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

Actually, I would love to see Kansas beat Ohio State and Kentucky beat Louisville and then Kansas come out with the Crimson Jersey's! I think in that situation it would be the perfect timing to "Break the Curse" of the crimson jersey's! You would have nothing to lose and I think it would be freaking awesome! Goosebumps for sure!

Hank Cross 7 years, 7 months ago

Brown brought out the crimson jerseys in '86 b/c the '52 NC team wore them.

REHawk 7 years, 7 months ago

It does appear that our pre-league schedule is paying handsome dividends this season. From the getgo, this squad learned that striving for 100% unified production was to be a necessary abiding factor. The Davidson loss and the rude lesson learned by our two scoring stars in the closing minutes at The Paige resonated lastingly to bolster focus and determination. A group of talented players, none of whom were high school all-Americans, all willing to listen to their coach, what more could Bill Self ask for? Well, perhaps one more win...and then maybe one more!

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Yes!! An excellent point!! And lets hope that Kentucky game earlier this year pays the biggest dividend of all!!

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Wait everyone!! I thought this year the media told us it's all about Missouri!! We're supposed to only speak of how they are the "sexy" team......and give them all the attention since they're going to the SEC! And we're supposed to talk about how wonderful their new coach is......and we're supposed to say only nice things about Kim English since he used to have a stutter......and how cool is Phil Pressey with that ape-like walk he has!!!

Oops.......No......it's never about Missouri , is it? No.

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Yes......Drgnslayer!! Well said!! I hate MU. This year we have been given 2 gifts. One is the Final Four.....the other is MU losing in 1st round.

(And honorable mention to throwing Roy and UNC out of the tournement!!)

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Think about this, guys. Not only did KU beat UNC and throw traitor Roy Williams out of the tournement(again!)........but did it in Missouri!!!!

Priceless!!

danmoore 7 years, 7 months ago

The irony was not lost on me but I suspect that if the inevitable happens and Kentucky cuts down the nets in NOLA, mizwho fans will be shamelessly waving a conference banner they are not even a member of.

danmoore 7 years, 7 months ago

Seems like Larry is more of a KU fan than he is of his own alma mater. When he left KU the Star was drumming up anti Brown sentiment. I'm glad to see Jayhawk Nation embrace his.

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

At halftime on CBS.......the basketball "experts" (including Frank Martin) said KU was going to lose. I couldn't believe it......after how well we were playing on offense.

Well....the basketball "experts" can sit and spin (including Frank Martin).

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

In Frank Martin's defense, he was talking about how Kansas didn't play defense in the first half. Martin knows as well as anybody that Self and Kansas pride itself on defense. I mean, he did say that he hadn't seen Kansas play defense like that ever.

I actually agreed with Martin's analysis at that point because Martin did say that if Kansas continues to play defense like that that they would lose. Maybe the prediction was off, but the statement was actually true when referencing Kansas' defense.

SDSurferFan 7 years, 7 months ago

I have always picked KU to win it all in my bracket. This year I had KU losing to UNC in the e8. Check. I have UK winning it all. Please be wrong again!

justinryman 7 years, 7 months ago

I am tired of hearing about how OSU didn't have Sullinger in that game in Lawrence back in December.

Lets remember Tyshawn was playing on a knee with two tears in his meniscus. I do believe he went into surgery the next day.

I also remember that Aaron Craft fouled out that game as he couldn't handle the slowed down Tyshawn. How will he handle him this time around?

IF they don't put an * by Barry Bonds record then there is no need to put an * next to KU victories over OSU and UNC.

Get over it East coast media hounds, there are teams West of the Mississippi and we are good. No this is no Cinderella story, we are not Gonzaga, we are KU and are expected to be there year in and year out. That's why when KU loses to a lesser seed in the tournament it's a major headline. At this point there is only one lower seed and that's #4 Louisville, and if KU lost to them in the Title game would people make a big deal out of it? No.

This team is a team by the very definition of the word. They aren't worried about themselves or getting a billboard up. They play the game no matter what 5 are on the floor, and they make it work. They play for their coach, they play for each other. TEAM!

Chris Shaw 7 years, 7 months ago

The good thing, just like UNC, is..............we get to see the result on Saturday!

Jack Wilson 7 years, 7 months ago

justin: While I appreciate the sentiment, the fact is OSU did not have Sullinger. Sullinger is an all american. We can't sit here and illogically say that there should not be an asterisk.

But there are asterisks everywhere in this game. Embrace it.

What we should simply say is that we just play who's lined up against us. That's all we can do. Would OSU have beaten Syracuse if they had Melo? Who knows. Would we have performed better if we had McLemore and Traylor or Anderson? Likely. But we couldn't be in any better position now, right? And who knows, because of dynamics, matchups, unknown stuff, we might not be in the final four.

But we can't puff our chests for beating OSU without Sullinger. Good win either way, but they aren't near as good without him. That's just fact. Embrace it.

JD Roth 7 years, 7 months ago

Injuries and depth are part of the game. So are eligibility issues.That's just fact. Embrace it!!

justinryman 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh I embrace the win. Don't care how we got the W it's still a W. As I told a neighbor who isa Big10 apologist, hey Purdue led all but 48 seconds of that game, true. But KU leads it for the rest of eternity.

It's not the score at the half. It's not the score at the under 4 TV timeout. It's not even the score with 1 second left that matters. It's the score when the clock reads 0:00.0 that matters in the end.

Sure I do believe the game in December could have been different with Sullinger, but his guards didn't do what they needed to do, just as UNC's bigs didn't do what thye needed to do.

Last nights game they kept saying John Henson was a nightmare for KU to guard and that Young couldn't stop Zeller, but they never mentioned that those guys had problems with Robinson.

Nobody is talking about the fact that Taylor played hurt in the first meeting with OSU, nobody. Why? If he would have sat out and OSU won with or without Sullinger, they would all say KU lost cause they didn't have a backup for him and that it is on Self. Well that loss for ISU goes on Matta and the KU team that overcame.

Embrace all wins. Relish the Victories and never, never forget the loses and how they made you feel.

kckuguy 7 years, 7 months ago

Justin, I am so glad you brought that up about OSU. 1st we hear that Marshall is the best guard in the country and now we are hearing about Craft being the best guard in the country. ESPN acts like OSU's gurads didn't get to play the 1st game and nothing has been said about Tyshawn playing hurt. And they also keep saying that KU will not be able to guard Sullinger ? Uh, can Sullinger guard Robinson ? I wish that ESPN would hire new people, it seems you have to be a UNC grad to work there. Last nights game reminded me of another game. This game was tied at 47 at the half and the 2nd half KU shut them down. The other game we were tied at 50 and KU shut them down in the 2nd half, 1988 with Larry Brown. I personally think Self is the best coach in the tournament, period, but I can't help but wonder if Larry Brown isn't doing more than just being a fan right now.

JD Roth 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree, I get tired of the same old commentary, the "best front line" in college basketball was supposed to be too much for KU even without Marshall at the point. That's just the way ESPN operates though along with CBS, it's nothing new. OSU is next!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

JD Roth 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm with you, no mention ever that Tyshawn played on a bum knew, that doesn't matter, they only mention that Sullinger didn't play as if the game didn't count lmao. Tyshawn wanted it, Sullinger didn't!!

Joe Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

Enjoy the moment and then quickly focus and beat OSU.

Rock Chalk

katman52 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey Roy, I've got a Jayhawks sticker for you!!!!

joshar 7 years, 7 months ago

Here is a great story by Jason King about how great Bill Self is: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7737089/ncaa-tournament-2012-bill-self-proves-worthy

It shows how great of a coach he is and how lucky we are as Kansas Jayhawks fans to have him on our side.

kufan32 7 years, 7 months ago

love the article..thanks for sharing!

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Kevin Young=A rebounding maniac......a fighter......a winner.

Travis Releford=Best defender in the game...... a winner.

EJ=A clutch shooter.....a winner

TT= A leader, a machine.......a winner

TRob=Man of men, a fighter, a beast.....a winner.

Jeff Withey=Shot Blocker Expert, a huge heart......a winner

Connor=A solid contributor, a shooter.......a winner.

Justin Wesley= Good defender, good bench player......a winner

Jack Wilson 7 years, 7 months ago

So how you propose that he beats that monkey? No, forget it .. don't tell me.

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm sick of UNC supporters whining and crying about Kendall Marshall.....Would have......should have.......could have.

Okay, UNC fans.......here's a few for you.

I guess you "should" have had a better back-up for Marshall.

I guess your other players "could" have picked it up and played better".

I guess Kendall Marshall "should" have passed the ball instead of driving so he "would" not get injured.

I guess Roy "should" have come up with a better game plan instead of the pathetic one he devised that failed miserably.

Then again......you loser UNC fans "could" also just accept the truth......KU is better......by far.

PurePierce 7 years, 7 months ago

+1 Boo friggin' Hoo that they were missing one out of their eight McDonald's All Americans. Yes, they have eight on their roster and they can't afford to lose just one? Drop the excuses and just say, "We were beaten by a superior team, period."

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

If KU plays like they did last night......KU can beat OSU and Kentucky. Don't listen to the "experts" in the sports media that will tell you differently. They will say that Kentucky can't be beat.

They are wrong.....and they are anything but "experts".

HawkKlaw 7 years, 7 months ago

“He said he’s never seen a team play better in a big-time game.” Me either! KU showed up big time yesterday and looked like the better team all 40 minutes.

I have noticed that Bill Self's teams tend to come out a little cold and usually take about 5 to 10 minutes of the first half to really get going. Not this game though. KU came out and went toe to toe with an offensive juggernaut from the get-go. That was very impressive. I honestly didn't think this KU team was capable of scoring 47 points in a half, but the game yesterday proved that we can hang with teams that score a lot of points.

It's March and KU is playing the best it has all year. Look out Ohio State!

nighthawking 7 years, 7 months ago

Now we all know McDonalds All Americans are overrated. Whoops...I meant all McDonalds burgers are overrated. I digress, Missou also.

kufan32 7 years, 7 months ago

AMAZING game! It was unbelievably exciting to be there..one of the best parts was doing the "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" chant while walking out of the dome. It was echoing off the walls! On top of it all I won my bracket pot...had 7/8 left (Mizzou was the only team I had that didn't make it so I couldn't have been happier, anyways) and got all 4 teams right in the final 4! My best bracket was actually the one I made from the link someone posted here a while back...the blindfold bracket where you pick based on match-ups only. If it reassures anyone, it has Kentucky and Kansas in the final game..with the JAYHAWKS winning it all! As I was picking, I honestly had no idea who I was choosing. Here's to hoping I'm right!

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Priceless.......seeing Roy crying and squealing on the bench toward the end of the game.

Sorry, Roy.......I have no respect for you for the way you left KU.....none. And yes.....it still lingers and I will never let it go.

I appreciate what you did for KU for those 15 years....I honestly do. You were a very good(but not a great) coach. But the way you left was unforgivable and I will never get over it. Sorry......it's the way I feel. I know many of you feel differently and that's fine To each his/her own.

PS-Roy......I guess I should be glad you left.......KU got the better coach.

justinryman 7 years, 7 months ago

Thomas Robinson 1st team all american unanimous!!! Received votes on all 65 ballots.

Joining him are Green of MSU, Sullinger OSU(back to back), Davis of KY and McDermont of Creighton.

Congrats Thomas!!!!!

Alohahawk 7 years, 7 months ago

<p>ESPN.com on their NCAA BB page, under their "headlines" also has that story, by a different writer. The Omaha paper's article spotlights McDermott, while the ESPN story is neutral. Both good reads.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 7 months ago

Simply amazing thinking about the coaching match ups this weekend.

Game 1, which coach is dirtier?

Game 2, good ol fashion American boys

Title game, Good vs Evil.

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Barnes has been ok but I would say a bit of a disappointment for UNC. He is talented .....and will probably go pro.....but I doubt he is ready.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure this wasn't intentional, but this game had a little of the '88 national championship game to it. KU came out in that game and went toe to toe offensively with OU and then pulled it back and executed a totally different game plan in the second half. And while it was clear KU wasn't playing great defense in the first half, I still have to wonder if that didn't help us at the end of the game. Had we played tighter defense, who is to say if Withey and/or Robinson wouldn't have found themselves in foul trouble early in the second half. The lack of defense by both teams at very least kept the foul totals down.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

For sure! I said the same thing in the post-game discussion last night!

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Ict has done well in his Final Four picks....But who wins??

jaycon11 7 years, 7 months ago

if the university is smart, they'll extend coach self's contract to 20 yrs and round it out at a cool $100m.

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

I give a ton of credit to the KU fans that went to St.Louis. I heard you loud and clear. I read that it was very loud......and that KU fans completely blocked out UNC fans.

And just think.......all that celebrating after the game......in Missouri!!!!!

Well done, KU fans.......well done!!

justinryman 7 years, 7 months ago

I keep waiting for a Kim English tweet thanking all the KUI fans for spending their money in Missouri.

I mean he's had time, he's been at home watching the tournament and all since the 1st Saturday of it all.

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Kim English likes to run his mouth and trash-talk KU. I doubt he is now. This post-season could not have turned out better. It would have been nice to have won the Big 12 tourney.....but i some ways maybe this is better. I think MU went into the NCAA with way too much confidence and it all came crashing down. And that's just fine with me!!

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Interesting that one of the UNC players claimed that they didn't even know about KU using the "Triangle and Two" defense??? Hmmmm.........What's up with that, Roy?? I guess you not only got out-coached(again).....but you didn't get your players prepared. Awe........Shucks!!

The only good thing I can say about UNC is in the first half......Harrison Barnes prevented T-Rob from taking a nasty fall out of bounds. He could have been hurt badly.....but Barnes held him up. That was class and good sportsmanship. He must be a really good kid.

Eric J. Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

I normally don't care much for UNC's players, especially when Hansbrough was there. But I have to say, I actually like their guys this year. Zeller, Henson, Barnes, Marshall, they all come across as stand up guys who play good team ball. Hell, Barnes's biggest problem is that he's not selfish ENOUGH. I'm glad we beat them, but I have a ton of respect for that team.

MizzouBest 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations Kansas! Well done......especially the game last night. It was all even in the first half but KU gave UNC a major beat down in the second.

KU deserves a lot of credit. Now.......stop celebrating get the title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoghorn 7 years, 7 months ago

Thanks a lot. Hopefully KU gets focussed on OSU and takes nothing for granted, just because we beat them earlier this year (albeit in AFH without Sullinger).

To be honest, I never thought KU would get this far. As far as I am concerned, MU (save for one stunning loss), and KU have been two of the biggest overachieving programs this year, along with Louisville.

kumax 7 years, 7 months ago

Such a sweet win. No one expecting the 'hawks to get this far, lots of doubters along the way. Down 19 to Mizzwho, back from the dead. 8 Straight Big 12 Championships. Incredible to see how Self was able to turn a band of second- fiddlers into bona fide Final Four material. This is is best job yet, no doubt. Take it to naw'lins!

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

I noticed Kendall Marshall was really laughing it up and having a great time in the first half.

Funny.....don't recall seeing too many camera shots of him in the 2nd half. I guess CBS didn't think it was such a feel-good story at that point.

But of course.....CBS made all kinds of excuses for UNC losing. And I think they are still trying to explain away the Duke loss.

Brak 7 years, 7 months ago

It's almost as if the stars have aligned and it has become a forgone conclusion that Jayhawks will win another national title this year. I mean it couldn't have worked out more perfectly, not only have we slayed the mid-major beast, had a chance to laugh at the fail that is known as Mizzou, win some close games we usually lose, put a beating on Roy and his boys, get to remove the asterisk from the tOSU win(beating them WITH Sullinger), and for the finale not only getting revenge on UK for the loss earlier in the year but once again getting to shove that championship trophy up Cal's rearend. It's like it was meant to be. knock on wood

flyingfinn 7 years, 7 months ago

Sat behind 2 fans who wore NC State red on Friday and Carolina blue on Sunday only to find out that they are Mizzou fans. The difference between a KU fan and a Mizzou fan; a KU fan cheers wildly for HIS team no matter what and Mizzou fan cheers for any body to beat KU because they have nothing to cheer for themselves!!!

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Great to win and celebrate in Missouri!

Hopefully......the team bus stopped in Columbia to urinate.

packywacky88 7 years, 7 months ago

I somewhat disagree with wearing school colors at games where your team is not playing. I saw lots of K-State shirts in Omaha this year, even after they were eliminated from the tourney. Its always seemed a little too "attention seeking" for my taste. If my school is not in the game, I like to respect the teams competing and either support one, or go neutered.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

neutered? Isn't it a little drastic? Maybe you meant neutral?

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

Yesterday's game gave us a unique look from another team's standpoint to see why Roy failed so many times. He was outcoached completely......and his own player said they did not even know that KU used the "triangle and two" defense.

Now......I personally have no clue what the "triangle and two "defense is.....but then again I'm just a fan. I would think Roy would have got his players a bit more prepared for that. He tried to explain it away in comments after the game.....saying KU used it once or twice.....and that he "was not sure". Hmmmmm.

Makes you wonder what else he screwed up in tournements when he was at KU. ....and if he did ....what a waste of some incredibly talented teams.

theend 7 years, 7 months ago

I was surprised. I thought he had a good thing going at K-State.

Maybe more about living in Manhattan,KS vs beautiful,warm and sunny South Carolina.

Kye Clark 7 years, 7 months ago

Wow. Such a step down. ESPN article said he was "at odds" with the KSU administration. Pretty surprising.

dynamitehawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Breaking News!!!!!

Frank Martin is interested in the Cocks........... job.

Richard Benson 7 years, 7 months ago

Does it seem to anybody else that K-State and Misery fans have been exceptionally hateful since their teams were eliminated?

Martin's departure from K-State can only make 'em meaner.

I didn't think I could be affected by loser behavior by ill-bred neighbors.

But this year it is crazy over-the-top and getting worse.

On another matter ... Coach Self should answer unwelcome questions about possible future regular-season match-ups with Misery by telling questioners that it would just be too emotional for him.

danmoore 7 years, 7 months ago

This comment was posted on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports page.

"I am a Mizzou fan - can't stand KU. But I couldnt help but thinking as I watched this game conclude...that MU - KU in basketball..is basically the equivalent of Cards - Cubs when it comes to on the field / court performance."

Excellent analogy.

Eric J. Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm assuming in this analogy KU would be the Cardinals, with the rich tradition, championships galore, and classy fans? Whereas Mizzou would be the Cubs, with the decades (century?) of poor performance in the regular and post-seasons, no championships (at least in modern times), and boisterous, classless fans?

I think you can glean from this that I'm a Cardinals fan. ;)

Ervin O'Neal 7 years, 7 months ago

Note to NCAA: The thousands of fans hanging around after the game to watch the postgame ceremony and the net being cut down would appreciate it if you had the common sense to put the ceremony up on the jumbotrons. Why have all the cameras and giant screens if you aren't going to give the fans a good view of the victory ceremony (especially in a dome where are seats are too far from the court).

Great job by the Alumni Association on hosting the pre-game festivities on Friday and Sunday. Sorry to hear that your trailer was welcomed to St. Louis by some of our local criminals. Next time, maybe we should take the trailer to a secured lot overnight (like at the AB Brewery).

nwhawkfan 7 years, 7 months ago

So in honor of the Jayhawks and the new season of "Mad Men," how about a "Triangle and Two" cocktail?

I figured Triple Sec would be the main ingredient, so I check my Mr. Boston Bartender's Guide, and what do I find?

1 1/2 oz. dry gin 1/2 oz. Triple Sec 1 dash bitters

Stir with ice cubes and strain into cocktail glass. Add twist of lemon peel and a cherry.

Here's the kicker...this drink already has a name.

It's a...Blue Bird.

(please drink responsibly)

Ethan Berger 7 years, 7 months ago

ESPN has written in UK-OSU. Hope Bill Self and the Boys are watching. Extra motivation.

Eric J. Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

I think it was specifically Myron Medcalfe, who is worthless as an analyst. I believe he's picked against KU in almost every game he can.

nighthawking 7 years, 7 months ago

I also want to thank our cheerleaders, band and many more behind the scenes who do so much and do not get as much recognition as they deserve. Rock Chalk Lady Hawks !!!!