Friday, June 29, 2012

Ex-KU quarterback Jordan Webb picks Buffs

Kansas quarterback Jordan Webb throws the ball around as he warms up with the team before kickoff against Oklahoma on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011 at Kivisto Field.

Former Kansas University starting quarterback Jordan Webb is headed from the Big 12 to the Pac-12.

Webb confirmed to the Journal-World on Friday various recent reports that stated he will be transferring to Colorado. Once admitted to the school — something Webb expects to happen as early as Monday — his relocation will be official.

The future Buffaloes QB expects to have a shot at winning the starting job once he arrives in Boulder, Colo.

“That’s the whole reason I wanted to transfer,” Webb said. “I wanted to go somewhere where I felt like I had that opportunity.”

When Charlie Weis took over as KU head coach this past December, Webb soon learned he wouldn’t be a part of the program’s plans. Quarterbacks Dayne Crist (from Notre Dame) and Jake Heaps (from BYU) transferred in, and in January, Weis announced Webb would be leaving Kansas.

Webb said he didn’t take anything personally.

“It’s just kind of part of the business,” he said. “I understood that with new guys coming in (Weis) wants some fresh faces at quarterback. If you can get a fresh face, it’s gonna look good for the fan base, and I’m really rooting for those guys this year. I’ll always be a Jayhawk. I’ve got some of my best friends on that team.”

Still, the whole process doubled as a lesson.

“You can’t hang your head,” Webb said. “Things are gonna come in life that you’re not expecting, but you’ve just got to roll with the punches.”

The Union, Mo., native appreciated that Weis let him know early on his plans to go another direction at quarterback.

“That would be the worst thing, to be strung along and find out once you put your work in that you don’t have that chance,” Webb said. “I was glad that he was up front and honest. That’s all you can ask for.”

Because Webb continued taking classes at KU and graduated after leaving the team, he will be able to take advantage of an NCAA transfer rule and be eligible immediately at Colorado. He visited the campus and met with CU coach Jon Embree this past spring.

“I think it’s a good fit. They’re an up-and-coming team and coach,” Webb said. “I really enjoyed my time there, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Webb, who has two years of eligibility remaining, played in all 12 games for the Jayhawks in 2011, completing 179 of his 281 pass attempts for 1,884 yards, with 13 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

He plans to move to Boulder this coming week and begin workouts with the Buffaloes soon after.

Comments

notjustbread 1 year, 9 months ago

is that what those white stripes are for?

vd 1 year, 9 months ago

They're supposed to be wearing a helmet and pads also.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

Classy response to a tough situation, but really gives positive comments regarding CW as well. Such a contrast to Berglund.

From what I've heard, Jordan may have a chance to start at CU this year as well. It's not quite a black hole. It should help that this will be his third year playing, and 4th at the D1 level.

Also interesting to look at the photo at th beginning. Isn't a QB supposed to have their fingers on the laces when they throw?

Doug Cramer 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't like to be too negative on ex KU players.

I love Jordan's attitude...and appreciate his effort at KU. He seems like a class guy.

Moonwalk is right though...his passing accuracy really needs to improve.

Jeffery Stadler 1 year, 9 months ago

I wish Jordan nothing but the best of luck. As painful as it was to sit in the stands and watch the D give up 50+ every week it must have been hard to stand on the sidelines then try and match the other teams scores with horrible play calls from the booth. No matter how hard his coach prayed Jordan had little protection and plenty of pressure to make big plays. Colorado is an awesome place to be and play.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Jordan wasn't the most talented QB ever, even with the poor game planning his decision making and accuracy left a lot to be desired. That said, Webb showed to practice every, played his tail off, didn't make excuses for his and the team's failures, and graduated in 3 years. He was a good ambassador for the university and I wish him all the best at Colorado and hopefully the coaching staff there can work on his flaws because his biggest flaws as a QB are correctable with proper coaching.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Nice choice Jordan. CU is gonna love you, and now that we don't play the Buffs I can cheer without mixed feelings. Get that starting spot and we'll be there for some games. Sporting KU colors of course.

roadwarrior1969 1 year, 9 months ago

Good luck JW...unfortunately he is going to a place that cares less about football than we do. Don't blame him though, this is one of the only D1 places he could play at.

BigXIIForever 1 year, 9 months ago

This guy is all class. When I was Webb's age, I would not have handled what he has gone thorugh with even close to the composure we are seeing. With a good coach, who knows what he can accomplish.

HAWKTOPIA 1 year, 9 months ago

"I’ll always be a Jayhawk"

troutsee 1 year, 9 months ago

Jordon Webb could very well start for CU. He never had a chance at KU, playing on a terrrible team with a terrible head coach. I agree that he is a classy kid and worked his butt off for KU. I have much respect for him and wish him the best.

april28 1 year, 9 months ago

Best of luck, young man. I always respected your effort and now I respect your maturity and class. Congrats also on earning your degree!

Fredmandu 1 year, 9 months ago

Some of these comments are totally uncalled for. The young man is showing more class than you apparently will ever have. While he was a Jayhawk, he gave his maximum effort and represented the university --the one you claim to love and support-- in a high quality manner. Can you say the same?

Thanks for your time here, Jordan. Best of luck to you!

ccarp 1 year, 9 months ago

Props for taking care of your school work Mr. Webb. Best of luck at CU. I really respect how you handled a tough situation and I know you will be stronger for it. You represent Jayhawk nation well.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 9 months ago

I couldn't be happier for Jordan Webb. The guy played his tail off for KU and deserved so much more than he got from Turner Gill. What a class act. I will be rooting for him and hope he has huge success at CU.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 9 months ago

The kid did play hard and is now saying the right things. It's not his fault Turner sucked!

utahjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Webb played hard the whole time at KU so I don't think we could ask for more. Good luck Jordan.

ukanjhox 1 year, 9 months ago

Webb wasn't very good. But, he was a Jayhawk, and I wish the guy nothing but the best. It seems like he did all he could. When your head coach is a guy like Gill, it's hard to approach your ceiling. I hope he does well.