Monday, July 2, 2012

Italian club signs former KU guard Keith Langford

Former Kansas University guard Keith Langford has signed a two-year contract with EA7 Emporio Armani Milano, a professional basketball team based in Milan, Italy, the team announced Monday.

Terms were not disclosed. However, Sportando.net recently reported that the squad was offering well over $1 million a year, perhaps up to $1.5 million. Langford’s former team, Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv of Israel, reportedly offered him $800,000 for the 2012-13 season.

Langford, 28, averaged 10.8 points and 2.0 assists in 20 Euroleague games last season for Maccabi. He averaged 14.2 ppg in 22 games in the Israeli Premier League, earning all-Israeli guard of the year honors by Eurobasket.com. He was named MVP of the Adriatic League Final Four after averaging 19 points off 61.9 percent shooting. He helped Maccabi win the Adriatic League, Israeli League and Israeli Cup.

Prior to joining Maccabi, the 6-foot-4 Langford played two seasons for B.C. Khimki in Russia. He averaged a league-leading 18.7 ppg in 2010-11 and 15.5 ppg in 2009-10.

Frankamp excelling: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp has averaged a U.S. team-leading 14.0 points a game through three games at the Men’s Under 17 world championships in Lithuania. Jabari Parker, a senior forward from Chicago’s Simeon High, is right behind at 13.7 ppg. Frankamp, a 6-1 senior from Wichita North, has made 65.5 percent of his shots, trailing only Justin Jackson of Canada (66.7 percent). He has made four of six threes for 66.7 percent, best mark of all players. He has eight steals in three games, ranking fourth overall, second on the U.S. team behind Joel Berry, who has nine thefts. He also leads the field in assist/turnover ratio with nine assists to two turnovers. The U.S., which had the day off Monday, meets France today.

Kaun scores 12: Former KU center Sasha Kaun scored 12 points as the Russian national team pounded South Korea, 91-56, Monday in the first-round of the Olympic qualifying tournament in Venezuela. So far, nine teams have qualified for the Olympics. In all, 12 teams are battling for the final three slots this week in Venezuela.

Kaun is a native of Tomsk.

Comments

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 2 months ago

Keith Langford is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE JAYHAWKS! Great slasher, leaper, defender and blessed with a magnetic personality and smile. Pumped that he is doing so well in the EuroLeagues and hope that he continues to excel and dominate at his position. Rock Chalk!

On another note, Frankamp is as exciting a guard as I have been excited to root on at KU in a while, and that is saying something to be sure. Excited to see his skills with Ellis and the other impressive new players KU has coming in this season if Elliis and others stay past the upcoming season.

Lastly, I have had the pleasure of meeting Sasha Kaun and his wife as well in Kansas City a couple of times, and I am always psyched to hear about him doing well in Russia and hope he makes it to the NBA in some point in his career, so that he can add to the number of KU players representing our fine university in the league.

Thanks Gary for the informative article, as I always love hearing about the goings on of all former Jayhawk players. Rock Chiggity Chalk.

Robin Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

Langford is indeed the man. Great numbers by Frankamp and great to see Kaun doing solid stuff for his nation. Way to represent fellas.

Andy Hess 2 years, 2 months ago

he just posted on twitter yesterday that he's moving here on July 4. He was waiting on some test scores to come in.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I knew better than to believe all the hype.

This Frankamp dude is gonna have to step it up when he gets to Lawrence.

We need someone who can shoot the ball a little better and not turn it over so much.

Michael Bennett 2 years, 2 months ago

Having the highest Assist/turnover ratio is a good thing. He also leads the team in ppg, ahead of Jabari Parker who is supposed to be the best prospect out of high school since LeBron, according to ESPN. Why don't you step it up...

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

Seriously, what are you talking about? He's literally playing with NBA players... If Jabari wasn't made to come to college, he would be drafted. Frankamp is for real.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

This is sarcasm. kellerman411 meet nuleafjhawk.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you so much KG.

I like sarcasm, and that's how I talk a great deal of the time. I guess it doesn't transfer to "print" for everyone. But, hey - you already know that!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

nuleafjhawk, my man, you need some type of symbol or caption to alert the inevitable poster that your are being sardonic...you trick someone every time!!!!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

lol - I am like the butler on "Mr Deeds", very, very sneaky. hehe.

april28 2 years, 2 months ago

Langford is living the life! Russia, then israel and now Italy. I'm jealous as heck but very glad to see him making a good living while making some great memories for himself.

I wonder if Frankamp's success might sway Jabari towards KU?

Congrats to Sasha. Would love to see him as an Olympian this year.

David Brown 2 years, 2 months ago

The next couple of years are going to be fun. Coach Self will be great to watch as he blends in new talent, instructs the newcomers how to play within his style, and adjusts to his new coaches. I just really think the next few years could be special. So many new faces; so much talent. What will Self be able to do?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Following Justinump20's comment .. Anrio was supposed to be here July 1. No news one way or the other?

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Can't you hear that? "Buwahahahaa". It's the NCAA's evil laugh as they rub their hands together over a giant brewing kettle of ineligible potion, specially concocted for KU recruits!

Jim Jackson 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah if anyone could shed some light on Adams' situation that would be great.

bradynsdad 2 years, 2 months ago

Adams posted on twitter last night that he apologizes to the KU nation but his test scores arrived late and he will be reporting to campus on the 4th.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

I am glad the public is finally starting realize that professional ball over in Europe is a viable option these days. Actually, it's been a viable option for quite some time, but I think Langford's, Kaun's, Jackson's, Collins (To some Degree) and even Miles success has been noted over the last decade and European ball is becoming more understood.

I mean, Langford is literally making 7 figures tax free and playing in almost half the games that an NBA schedule contains. Not a bad way to make money and spend time in Russia, Israel, Italy, and etc.

Off Topic: I had no idea that Anthony Davis was even being considered for the U.S.A basketball team. I know Davis is a great talent, but he's not even close to being ready. I can understand getting him acclimated to U.S.A basketball for the future, but he's not ready to make the 12 man roster. He would get eaten alive European centers.

Also, with all the injuries Team U.S.A has currently............they may be vulnerable in London. Durant, Anthony, and James is a good core, but they are thin at the guards and center spots with all the injuries.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Two words at guard: Mario Chalmers.

Resume: NCAA ring. The Shot. NBA ring. The man with a pair when the three gilded stooges got rubber legged.

Put him on point with Durant, James and any two bigs from either NBA All Star team last season and USA is gold, gold, gold, gold, gold.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Throw in Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin, Rudy Gay... and you have more than a good core.

I expect gold again this year, and it should be a walk in the park. Not only is the talent there, it's now internationally seasoned talent. These guys have won gold together before, with Coach K at the helm.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Wouldn't it be kind of cool to just take amateurs this year .. meaning many of the guys just drafted. Starters - Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Damian Lillard, Bradley Beal, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrest?

I know the reason we went to pros is so we'd win. But it would be kind of cool to see this group take on the world, along with some other draftees as subs.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

People often underrate Milan, because it is a working city, but it is cool.

KLang will get more bones, better design, women with sparkling style, a short drive to Rapallo/Santa Margarita Ligure/Portofino, evenings with George Clooney and his lady in lake country, skiing in the Alps/Dolomites, and a pleasant train ride across the border to the French Riviera. Justin, buy a ticket now to go see him. And tell every woman you meet you are Catholic...whether you are, or not. :-)

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Also, Justin, you might jingle a pocket full of Euros (or old gold liras), and tell those pretty ladies you are the second coming of championship USA basketball...Keith's cousin WILT!

yovoy 2 years, 2 months ago

YUP! I'd much rather PLAY in Europe (esp Italy or Spain), make the money K-Freeze is making, than ride the pine in the NBA. After watching the draft, and thinking about guys that were drafted and those went undrafted, I started changing my opinion of playing in Europe. Being played (well) to play basketball in Europe sounds good to me.

Easy and short travel to the places JB mentions would be perfect. Hang out in Portofino, go to Nice or Cannes, etc, etc, etc. Hell, in the time it takes to drive from here to Chicago, you could go from Milan to Positano. I love that place. One day when we were going there to eat they'd restricted access because they were filming Top Gear or some such. They let us through, and we were "stranded" there. I would've loved to have been stranded there even longer. The idea of being in Detroit or the Dolomites makes not "making" an NBA roster seem like it's not that big of a deal.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Speaking of twitter, Mr. Anrio Adams, your eligibility and current no-show situation has left the Jayhawk Nation all atwitter for several months now. If, indeed, you do arrive in Lawrence on the 4th, as recently twittered, and if, indeed, you are eligible to practice and play from the getgo, I suspect that you, more than any current Jayhawk, must needs walk the walk to glean support of the many intense fans who hear that you bear the potential for outstanding play...but, to date, categorize your game as more talk than walk. Jayhawk fans spent an agonizing summer and fall, two seasons ago, awaiting the heralded play of another highly ranked recruit who played only a partial season, never sustaining the full credibility of greatness which preceded him...then vanishing like smoke the day after the season ended. We remember him as a Jayhawk, but just barely.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow, coach, you didn't just put a monkey on his back, you put the King Kong on him. Way to go!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the info from twitter .. I would say that the Selby reference is a higher bar than you should expect from Adams.

Adams looks like a guy who should be expected to compete for a rotation spot. Being a competent rotation guy should satisfy everyone in year one. But we shouldn't be disappointed if he doesn't play much in year one. He's a four year guy who can develop into a prime role.

jc1306 2 years, 2 months ago

He doesn't need to do anything but listen to Coach Self. He doesn't owe you or any other fan anything. If he's wearing the crimson and blue he'll have my support.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

A fine post, jc. Your clarity and good judment are absolutely nonpareil. This recruit owes me nothing. "He doesn't need to do anything but listen to Coach Self"...even if on a long distance hookup throughout the summer. And yes, he'll have my support, too, if he's wearing the crimson and blue. I owe him, perhaps, more than he owes me.

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

Uh.... Josh Selby was considered by some to be the #1 recruit coming out of high school. Explain what that has to do with Anrio Adams, please. I could be wrong but last I checked (which was a few months ago) Anrio was barely cracking the top 100.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I am not unaware that Josh was a much higher rated recruit than Anrio. But I am willing to assist you and others to understand the intent of my commentary. Think WAITING GAME.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Good to read Kaun got some points finally. He's been a minor offensive threat at best over in Smirnoff land. He needs to remember how to do it.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 2 months ago

Frankamp is going to be a player. That boy is good!

KemDooKU 2 years, 2 months ago

Rock Chalk Frankenstein Hawk!!!!!! ..........White boyyyyy has game

Ron Prichard 2 years, 2 months ago

I can not wait for Frankamp to be here! I've posted before how excited I am about him becoming a Jayhawk. I think he will surprise a lot of people. However, after this summer, it may not be a surprise anymore. I'm guessing his ranking will skyrocket even though he has already signed. He could be as big an impact player as we have had in a while based on his ability to consistently hit the outside shot. We have always had a fantastic inside game, but sometimes our shooting has been shaky and teams have collapsed on our bigs. There won't be any of that with him on the court, and that could pay huge dividends for everyone on the court.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Having accumulated international experience with USA U16 and U17, it stands to reason that Conner might get another summer of such play with U18. He has auditioned, been selected, and is being groomed as a future face of bigtime USA Basketball. Gotta respect his current array of stats. Wichita, KS, has been very kind to KU athletics.

milehighhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

According to Rivals, Frankamp has moved up to #28 in his class

hawkmoon2020 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow! Surprising, yet maybe not surprising. CF now #28 and BG #31. Unfortunately, Rivals did not mention Conner's huge leap in rankings as they did others. Oh well, great to see him get some valid recognition finally. As for Adams's arrival, would love to have him, but geesh. Not sure if I'm more sorry for him, Coach Self, or Jayhawk fans with each delay after delay. Answers gotta come sometime.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Someone fill me in on recruiting process please. Let's say a school has 4 open scholarships for the incoming/present HS senior class. School has extended offers to 10 kids, ranked (for the sake of hypothesis) #10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100.

Numbers 70-100 each announce their verbally commitment, and their intention to sign at the next available signing period. Is the school obligated to then sign those who verbally commit, or could they wait to see what #1-60 decide? (Is it first come, first served?)

What if #1-60 then also verbally commit before #70-100 have signed. (Is that possible?)

I understand that players can de-commit from a verbal. What is the timing in the case of multiple verbals, and what is the obligation of the school to the player (to sign)?

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

BayHawk, I know less than dogpoop about the questions you pose. But from reading various hoops articles and posts over the past several years, I assume that many Div. I scholarship offers are extended as maybes. Ranked recruit #80 is offered a possible slot in case #30 should decline. Milt Doyle might have been swept up in such a scenario, although his situation might have hinged more upon grades and qualification than having to wait to see if a higher ranked recruit might grab the final scholarship. By the time he signed, there were few to no highly ranked recruits or transfers still available. Once there is a verbal commitment, the onus appears to fall on the coaching staff quickly to move the process forward regarding holdouts. It does appear that sometimes more scholarship offers are extended than can meet the # available. As in the cases of Wooldridge and Peters, Bill Self appears to uphold his offers to early commitments. On the other hand, if first year scholarship players don't appear to be set to cut the mustard or fit in the puzzle during Year 2, it looks to be a case of Bye-Bye Birdie.

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I would imagine when Coach Self (and a lot of coaches elsewhere) extends an offer BB scholarship that it has certain conditions attached. (Just guessing here).

1. That the recruit must pass his ACT/SAT before it becomes an official offer.

2. That the offer could hinge on a more highly ranked recruit's decision to come to KU. (ie. If a lower ranked recruit says "I'm interested and would like to be a Jayhawk." first, that Self would immediately contact the higher ranked recruit and give him an ultamatum: Say "Yes" now, or KU's scholarship offer could be withdrawn and given to the recruit who wants to be a Jayhawk.) This is most likely why KU has lost out on some good, mid range recruits, when Self has held off accepting the lower ranked recruit's acceptance while waiting out the higher ranked recruit's decision. The lower ranked recruit would feel less "wanted" if they're told to wait. And few recruits are willing to take the chance they'll be left high and dry. If a coach has any sense of responsibilty and moral fiber, they aren't going to leave a recruit hanging. (Perhaps even Cal Lie Pari has some sense of morality, since he must know that Walker has indicated he's interested in Kenstinky, but hasn't offered him, yet. I'd call that an "Indirect hang".)

With a 13 scholarship limit (and usually only 2 - 4 still available on the coming year's roster), and an over abundance of great recruits to offer to, a coach has to offer to more than he can actually sign on. So there has to be a lot of hair pulling and head scratching by the head coach. How long do I wait to pull the trigger on who to go with: Wait and see if #1 says "Yes", or take the lesser ranked of the two who really wants to be a Jayhawk?

I sometimes think that the recruits are waiting for the scholarships to be pulled, so they won't have to call the coach (who they've already established a great, long term relationship with) and tell them they're going elsewhere. It'd be somewhat like choosing between a mom or dad after a divorce takes place. Or, gee, I could go with the prom queen who I like but she only wants to go with me because I'm BMOC, or do I take my neighbor, who's my best friend and likes me, but she hasn't been asked to the prom yet.

Recruiting is such a crap shoot. During recruiting, the coaching staffs spend a lot of time, energy and money. And in some cases, their personal feelings get involved. Sometimes you win, but more often you lose. So who do you bet on? In recruiting, like betting, you just have to go with a gut feeling. :>?

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 2 months ago

Damn....that's some really good money over there! I thought they made 50K a year or something....

Ron Franklin 2 years, 2 months ago

Are we out of the running for Jabari, Harrison twins, Randle & Walker now?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Jabari - still in the running,
Harrison twins - most likely gone, Randle - Duke-bound probably, Walker - KU still hanging in there.

Although any thing can happen [think Darrel Arthur's dream!!]

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I'd guess we have 0% chance at the Harrison twins (Heavy leans to Maryland and Kenstinky), 10% for Randle (ACC lean for Duke or N. Carolina, possibly Kenstinky), 30 -35% for Jabari Parker (only because he's playing alongside Frankamp in the US U17 games and because Parker recently mentioned he liked how TRob was developed at KU. He's leaning towards Michigan State, Duke, and Kenstinky, I think.). Walker is 50/50, between Florida and KU. But Walker wants an offer from Kenstinky, which may depend on if they get Parker and/or Randle.

Others: Barber (PG) has KU and Alabama, and possibly Louisville. Alerik Freeman (SG) has KU in his top 5. Karviar Shepherd (Center) is considering KU. Marcus Lee (SF) has KU top 3, I think. Any combination of 2 -3 of those mentioned, along with Frankamp and Greene, would be a top 2 - 5 class.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

BayHawkaholic: Here's how I understand it. Bottom-line, until a recruit signs a letter of intent, neither the school nor the athlete are bound. That's what I understood from my son's recruiting and signing process. If a financial aid agreement is signed, then the school is the only one bound. The LOI is the only thing that binds the athlete .. both bind the school.

Now I've heard that if a school makes a verbal offer, that it is binding. I have not seen anything in any rules that say that. A player's commitment, of course, is not binding. And in dealing with my son, there always seemed to be hedging .. meaning "yea, we want you, but here's our numbers" .. etc. We never felt it was done until we had the emailed LOI.

As I understand, schools many times condition their verbal offers so as to address the situation. Something to the effect of an offer of a scholarship, but contact us to seal the deal .. i.e., to make sure the school still wants to do it. So if the #90 player, a point guard who has been offered, says ok for class of 2013, Self may say .. hold on, let me get back with you (and then makes a determination based on Barber). Do we let #90 go, or take him and fall out of the running for Barber?

When a school accepts a verbal commitment, you rarely see one back out. I recall what went on with Adams committing, but curiosity if we were on board. With Doyle, for example, we made a conditional offer it appears .. making sure the academics worked out and possibly some other things.

Schools can clearly get hosed by the verbal, then a back-out. But I see nothing that stops a school from backing out prior to the LOI or financial aid agreement being signed, and thus doing the same thing (other than reputation with athletes).

So right now, if a top shooting guard suddenly became available, KU could take him, dump Adams, but only at the risk of reputation (which we might not do other than the fact of the late date here).

That's all my understanding, but would love to hear other info, corrections, etc.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

No doubt, the clearest post I have ever read regarding recruiting.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Thank you HighReAloha. You've pretty much validated what I thought likely - that all offers are not created equal. To further complicate things, not all schools, coaches, recruits, or families of recruits are created equal.

Advil should sponsor the process.

odc213 2 years, 2 months ago

it's time for Langford to come back during a game and get his jersey retired

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 2 months ago

Jerseys are strictly ONLY hung for ALL AMERICANS or Final Four MVP's I believe.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately, Langford was limping during his last Final Four.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Final Fours and National Championships are such a tenuous unbelievable crapshoot. I am happy to see Keith clocking so many (taxfree?) dollars playing European ball. It would appear that USA professional hoops has missed out on a heady Jayhawk grad.

hawkmoon2020 2 years, 2 months ago

See where Conner got 12 pts. vs. France today. Is 3rd leading scorer at 13.5, and still getting rebounds and steals. Parker did not play. Hmmm.

bigcountry 2 years, 1 month ago

Keep it going Keith. Great to see you continue your professional career.