Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Keegan

QB Dayne Crist, coach Charlie Weis happily reunite

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist, a transfer from Notre Dame, listens to a question from a media member between receiver Justin McCay, a transfer from Oklahoma, left, and quarterback Jake Heaps, a transfer from BYU, on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Nobody in the room knew the quarterback as well as the coach. And nobody on hand knew the coach as well as the quarterback.

That’s the way it’s supposed to work but generally doesn’t when both men are new to the scene.

Charlie Weis, the coach, and Dayne Crist, the quarterback, were going to win a national title together at Notre Dame.

A Weis firing and Brian Kelly hiring — replete with a new offense and markedly different personal style — sandwiched between two Crist knee surgeries rewrote that script. Now the happy ending promises to take place with the Campanile, not Touchdown Jesus, overlooking the football stadium.

Charlie knows quarterbacks. He has proven that with athletes as ordinary as Matt Cassel of the Kansas City Chiefs and as extraordinary as Tom Brady of the New England Patriots.

Weis knows better than to let the numbers of a quarterback playing in a system and for a coach not ideally suited for his talents tell him how to judge his trigger man’s value. Charlie trusts his gut.

“I don’t think you can look at (the stats),” Weis said. “Anything that’s happened with Dayne Crist in the last two years, as far as I’m concerned, is null and void. I knew what I had two years ago when I left there, and I’m fired up to have him right now, that’s all I can tell you. And so should you be.”

You’re preaching to the choir, Charlie, one ticket sale at a time.

What Weis has in Crist is a strong-armed, 6-foot-4, 235-pound drop-back passer reunited with a coach whose offense he knows as well as we all knew how badly Kansas football needed a new coach, a new quarterback and a new sense of discipline.

Asked about the day in which Weis secured three years of starting quarterbacks, the day he received commitments from Crist and Jake Heaps in a two-hour span, Weis talked about more than physical attributes.

“Let’s start with Dayne,” Weis said. “To walk in the door and have some guy who carries himself the way Dayne does is good for everybody on the team, plus he’s a resource for these guys to know who I am.”

So Dayne, who is Charlie Weis, other than a guy who can show you how to get to the NFL?

“The players will quickly find out that he’s going to be honest with you every day, whether it’s something you want to hear or not,” Crist said. “That’s something I completely respect. It’s the greatest feature I find in him.”

Not that riding Weis’ knowledge to a professional football career is incidental.

“That was something that was huge for me,” Crist said. “That was not the end-all for me, but that’s always been a dream of mine since I was 6 years old. I’ve always been told to follow my dreams and follow my heart. That’s something I plan on doing still.”

He’s mature enough to realize the best path to take to reach individual goals.

“I know if I play as well as I plan on and am capable of and get the team better as a whole at the quarterback position, then hopefully I’ll have a chance,” Crist said.

A future NFL quarterback playing for a former pro coach? At Kansas? No need to pinch yourself.

Comments

lv_jhwk 2 years, 11 months ago

I've talked to several people who know Dayne and each has said that, as good of a qb as he is, he's an even better individual. Seems like a great choice to be the new on-field leader of the program. From those in the know, doesn't seem like its taken to long for him to start exerting his influence.

He will undoubtedly have some great expectations put on his shoulders, but coming from the scrutiny of ND and seeing how well he conducted himself at the press conference, I doubt that will affect him much if at all.

lv_jhwk 2 years, 11 months ago

And Justin and Jake handled themselves just as well. Weis has definitely changed the image of the program, and these young men along with some of our returners are just the sort to rally behind.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 11 months ago

And hopefully the team does rally behind them vs. considering them as outsiders. Dayne in particular seems to have that elite, mature presence about him that will make it easier for him to become a leader for the team. It should also help to have a whole new class this year vs. the 1/2 class that was originally projected.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 11 months ago

I worried about that, too...the insider thing. Yet, hard work for all is going to be the common denominator. The three guys at this press conference are not getting a free pass. On the contrary, they will probably have a lot more on them. And no team member wants to feel "carried" so I think come football practice the us vs. them thing will be dissolved.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

You didn't actually think Baylor had a shot... Did you? ;-)

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, yeah. Apparently I mistook the articles. So sue me ;-)

Matt Bowers 2 years, 11 months ago

I think this team will rally behind HCCW and DC because they have a winners attitude. Both approach their position in a mature way with high expectations and that is something that has been lacking at KU. The icing on the cake will be if JM is eligible next season, not only because of his talent but because of his attitude as well. I'm excited about Kansas football and its January!

Rock Chalk

oldvet 2 years, 11 months ago

It is so nice to have a real football coach and not that imposter from the last two years...

Ted Toulouse 2 years, 11 months ago

was it just me or did the presser yesterday feel like one of our basketball ones?

-Glib, honest, funny coach being frank, candid and did I mention funny? -Intelligent, talented, well-spoken players that know what's going on and know what to expect. And expect to win.

It FELT familiar but didn't LOOK familiar.

It's a great time to be a Jayhawk...

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

According to Jayhawk-Slant's Twitter account, Weis is after one of the top uncommitted Linebackers in Florida. Anybody have access to this Jayhawk-Slant inside information?

Also apparently Lozano's visit went well.

RCJ April 28th

GridironHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Schyler Miles is the LB: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Schyler-Miles-124744

Weis also visited Hutch JUCO to meet with one of the top WRs in the country (Keon Stowers cousin): Cordarrelle Patterson http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Cordarrelle-Patterson-125295

JayHok 2 years, 11 months ago

This is who Weis needs to bring on a visit to meet the strength staff, the strength facilities, Dayne Crist, Jake Heaps, Justin McCay, seven superbowl rings and a few academic advisers, IMHO.