Originally published January 16, 2012 at 12:00a.m., updated January 16, 2012 at 01:44a.m.

Battle of the bigs: Big-name big men to meet on Big Monday

Tonight’s Big Monday game between Kansas University and Baylor could feature an interesting game-within-the-game between KU’s Thomas Robinson, No. 0 in photo at left, and Baylor’s Perry Jones III, No. 1 in photo at right.

Bill Self worked at Kansas University — as a graduate assistant — the last time a visiting Big 12/Big Eight team came to Allen Fieldhouse with an unblemished overall record.

One has to go back to Jan. 21, 1986, when No. 5-ranked Oklahoma (17-0) was taken down by No. 7-rated KU, 98-92.

Today, a mere 26 years later, No. 4 Baylor carries an identical 17-0, 4-0 record into Allen for an 8:30 p.m. showdown against the No. 10 Jayhawks (14-3, 4-0).

“I think we’ll be really excited playing on Martin Luther King Day in a Big Monday game. Getting Vitale (Dick, ESPN) and those cats in here ... I think does add to it,” ninth-year KU head coach Self said of what figures to be a huge hoops happening.

“Our guys will be geeked up and ready to go, no question.”

KU, which leads the all-time series against Baylor, 16-2 — Self is 8-1 versus the Bears; Baylor coach Scott Drew is 1-8 against the Jayhawks — will be facing one of the most talented teams in Baylor history tonight.

“I don’t know how many NBA guys they’ve got, but they’ve got more than they ever have,” Self said. believes 6-foot-11 sophomore Perry Jones III (13.8 ppg, 7.7 rpg) will be the No. 5 overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft and 6-9 freshman Quincy Miller (11.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg) the No. 12 selection. Quincy Acy, a 6-7 senior (12.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg), is a major talent with 40 blocked shots, while 5-10 juco transfer Pierre Jackson averages 12.3 points and 5.1 assists. Brady Heslip, a 6-2 sophomore, averages 10.5 ppg.

“They are terrific,” Self said of a BU team off to the best start in school history. The Bears join Murray State and Syracuse as the only remaining undefeated teams in Div. I this season.

“They play (2-3) zone. It’s different. We can’t simulate their length in practice. I wish we had more than one day to prepare for their zone,” Self added.

BU has used some man-to-man defense this season as well.

“They start in zone. They are mixing it up pretty well,” Self said.

As to how KU will try to attack, Self said: “The more length they have, it seems to me the harder you have to take it at them. You can’t shy from contact or they’ll end up blocking everything. I hope we can get the ball inside the zone and not settle.”

The Jayhawks enter as 51⁄2-point favorites.

“I think it’s going to be a good game. I’m excited for this game,” said KU senior point guard Tyshawn Taylor, who exploded for 28 points in Saturday’s 82-73 victory over Iowa State at Allen Fieldhouse.

Baylor, meanwhile, crushed Oklahoma State, 106-65, Saturday in Waco, Texas, behind Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Jones’ 19 points and 12 rebounds. Miller had 21 points and Jackson 18 points, including five of BU’s 15 threes.

“Baylor is a really good team, really athletic. They have guys that can make plays. They have guys that can pretty much stretch the floor and do everything,” Taylor said. “I think it’s going to be a good challenge for us. I’m really excited. It’s a Big Monday game, and the fieldhouse is going to be crazy.

“They’re going to come in with a lot of confidence, as they should. They’re an undefeated team with really good players, so it’s going to be a good game.”

Jones knows Robinson: Baylor’s Jones competed at several camps this past summer with KU’s Thomas Robinson.

“I mean, we are cool off the court, even on the court, but when it’s time to compete, it’s time to compete,” Jones told the Journal-World at Big 12 Media Days. “I’m definitely going to give him my A-game. I know he’ll give me his A-game. It definitely will be a competitive game.”

The 235-pound Jones practices daily against BU’s Acy.

“He’s fast, the same as Robinson. It’ll be an all-around good game for both of us,” Jones said of him and Robinson.

Jones was asked by the Dallas Morning News if Saturday’s rout of OSU served as a “statement game” heading into today’s contest.

“No, not at all. Just taking it one game at a time,” he said. “Not looking ahead until it’s time. Now it’s time to get ready for Kansas. And that’s what we need to focus on now.”

Remember the video flap?: It should be interesting to see if Baylor stays on the court to view KU’s pregame video tonight. Two seasons ago, the Bears raced through the southwest tunnel for some quiet time as the Jayhawk video played and the Jayhawks were introduced.

“I don’t think it was a slap in the face, but I thought it was disrespectful. You can’t come in somebody’s home court and disrespect them like that,” then-KU senior Sherron Collins said after hitting for 28 points in an 81-75 KU victory. “I went to our huddle and said what they did was disrespectful. I said, ‘Let’s go. Let’s win.’”

BU coach Drew at the time explained: “I never dreamed that people might take it as disrespectful. Obviously, had I known that might be the case, we’d have never done it. It was simply because we knew we only had a minute when we got back out. We wanted to go over what we wanted to do to start the game, and there’s no rules against it or anything. We just met in the hallway because their intro is pretty good and pretty long. (It was) no sign of disrespect or anything like that.”

About the Bears: BU (17-0) is the fifth Big 12 team to start a season 15-0 or better. KU owns the three-best season starts — 22-0 in 1996-97, 20-0 in 2007-08 and 18-0 in 2010-11. Texas started 17-0 in 2009-10. ... BU is 1-4 all-time in ESPN Big Monday contests; its lone win came against No. 6 KU in 2001. ... Baylor is 4-0 in games decided by five points or less. ... BU has made at least one three-pointer in 636 consecutive games. ... BU senior Acy ranks 18th in school history with 1,114 points. He also is second in career FG percentage (60.6), second in career blocks (147) and needs eight rebounds to crack Baylor’s career top-10. ... In his last 48 games, Acy has blocked 85 shots. ... In all, 50 of Heslip’s 58 field goals have been threes. ... Heslip has made multiple treys in 14 games. ... Heslip and Jackson have combined for 85 points in the last three games.

About KU: KU is facing its fourth Top-10 team this season. The Jayhawks lost to No. 2 Kentucky, 75-65, in the Champions Classic Nov. 15 at Madison Square Garden and to No. 6 Duke, 68-61, in the Nov. 25 championship game of the Maui Invitational. KU beat No. 2 Ohio State, 78-67, on Dec. 10 in Lawrence. ... KU is 2-2 against ranked foes in 2011-12, 28-10 since 2006-07 and 37-20 under Self (2003-04). ... KU has won 15 in a row at home.

Mike Rotchurtz 3 years, 8 months ago

I've been waiting for this game for months. Not a Scott Drew fan and not a BU fan. Despite a pretty mediocre showing against Iowa State, I think KU is up to the challenge. Win this one and another Big-12 title gets a little easier.

Perry Jones, the pre-season conference player of the year, against T-Rob, the guy who is gonna win the award when it is really deserved -- after the season concludes.

2 hours of Dickie V telling us how AWESOME Perry Jones is... but it'll be worth it when we come away with the victory.

Matt Bowers 3 years, 8 months ago

Two hours of Dickie V telling us how awesome UNC and the ACC is...maybe he'll lose his voice.

Rock Chalk

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 8 months ago

Maybe Dukie Vitale gives TRob a Collison-like standing ovation...

Phoghorn 3 years, 8 months ago

Pardon the off-topic reply, but the video of Terran Petteway punching Conner Teahan has been uploaded to youtube.

Not trying to de-rail the thread, just wanted to post in case anybody was interested.

Phoghorn 3 years, 8 months ago

Was it really a punch? Really a foul? Naw, they were just staging a re-enactment:

Thread de-railment over.

WilburNether 3 years, 8 months ago

Dick Vitale seems to be a genuinely good guy, but let's face it -- his act became boring years ago.

Gene Jackson 3 years, 8 months ago

I invented a Dick Vitale mute activator for my t.v. When he begins to speak the t.v. automatically goes to mute. - - Don't I wish!

Gary Bedore 3 years, 8 months ago

Self is 8-2 overall against Baylor but 8-1 at KU, so I fixed it to make more sense. Thanx.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Each season starts with Self as COY.

If he and his team lose a game, then its next.

Only at the end of the season can we be sure he was not coach of the year.

refugee 3 years, 8 months ago

Every season starts with Coach Self as national COY frontrunner? That's news. Are the voters aware of this?

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, of course they are.

All voters start with Bill Self as Coach of the Year.

Didn't you know that?

Man, what is up with board rats the last few days?

Is everyone overdosing on literal pills?

Have a little fun, would ya?

Steve Corder 3 years, 8 months ago

You're exactly right, especially regarding Teahan.

MimiHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Jayhawk fans, whether alums, or fans by a choice of the heart, have no reason to "BEWARE OF "THE PHOG".  Rather, that caution was is reserved for those who have been, shall we say, weighed in the balance and found wanting.

I remember when Roy first left Kansas, and at the time I was mad.  He lied to us, saying he would stay until he retired, instead sneaking off without a word.  But that was before I realized that Roy didn't leave Kansas.  No, he was run out of town, run ALL the way back from whence he came, by THE PHOG.

MimiHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, THE PHOG knew, even when we didn't see. Roy had to go. THE PHOG knew Bill Self was the one. He was ready to take over as Head Coach at Kansas. THE PHOG brought him to us when the time was right.

We all could hear it in his introductory press conference:

"I can't tell you enough that I am thrilled to be the basketball coach at the              University of Kansas ... So I see this as a great opportunity to sit, in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball ... I think one of the first orders of business is to stay in contact and stay connected to the people that came before me, the players that came before these guys and make sure that THIS IS going to be a family."

MimiHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh, yes, without a doubt, Head Coach Bill Self was chosen by THE PHOG, and brought to us at the perfect time. Trust THE PHOG. THE PHOG knows. And for the record, I'm pretty sure THE PHOG would like us to lose the Woo. 'Just sayin'.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk !

MimiHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

For the record, "THE PHOG" was in all caps in previous posts. Sigh. I would never disrespect THE PHOG.

MimiHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I also believe there is also a distinct possibility that The Phog removed Missouri from The Big 12 Conference.

What can I say... Weighed in the balance and found wanting !

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

+1 Right on all accounts, Mimihawk.

Add together the continuous record of "sold out" crowds at Allen Field House, the future home of the original rules written by the inventor of basketball and KU's first ever BB coach - James Naismith, "Beware of the Phog", the waving wheat, the "Didn't eat your Wheaties" music, bleeding Crimson and Blue, the "Rock Chalk Chant" (minus the "Whooa"). And topping it off: The hiring of HCBS. That makes for quite a euphoric atmosphere (Phog) in AFH. What better formula could there be for KU's basketball legacy and its future.

Note: Didn't think Mizzery's name was worthy of mention while saluting the positives of KU basketball.

Come on, team. Let's win one for all of the above.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Mimi in a deep connect with The Legacy.

Rock Chalk!

kuproud96 3 years, 8 months ago

Is the woo you are talking about after the rock chalk chant? If so, i couldn't agree more! When i was there it was a deafening roar, now it sounds like a bunch of distressed school girls! Bring back the roar!!!

Phoghorn 3 years, 8 months ago

A great string of comments by MimiHawk. Get rid of the WOOO!

Baylor Bears?

When was the last time a bear was found in Texas?

At the Alamo?

Jeff Fugitt 3 years, 8 months ago

You'd be surprised. Texas has Black Bears in a few areas of the state.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Well, I'll be darned. Really?

That's good to hear.

Bears are a good sign that the food chain is restoring, or at least hanging on some places.

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Some gay bars in Dallas, Austin and Houston specialize in Big RCJHKU

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Baylor does not have a strong bench. They have a strong pew.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

"Some Little Known Facts about Scott Drew"

~Favorite defense: zone.

~Favorite color: pink.

~Favorite play: lob.

~Favorite shot: cheap.

~Favorite different look: m2m

~Favorite tactic: whining to refs

~Favorite poet: Homer (Drew)

~Favorite recruiting ploy: You'll get to play KU.

~Favorite career aspiration: Replace Rick Barnes as the Latest Challenger Self out coaches.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Joe Ross 3 years, 8 months ago

He got the right, but I wouldn't complain if he failed to exercise it. He's the Turner Gill of the Comments section.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Tag team reactionary posting?

I guess its more fun than discussing Chollie's record at ND, huh? :-)

Hey, mang,

Show me the basketball content!

jhox 3 years, 8 months ago

You definitely got one thing wrong, Jaybate. His favorite color is definitely green. As in the color of cash. As in the currency that has bought him all of the top 20 type players that an underachieving coach and program of that caliber has no right landing.

jhox 3 years, 8 months ago

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey, Mang, I order you to say, "Stop posting." :-)

HawksWin 3 years, 8 months ago

Mang, Sorry to tell u this, but ur posts r quite annoying. Can u get off Jaybate & add some value to readers instead? Otherwise kindly shut it. Thanks & good day.

Joe Ross 3 years, 8 months ago

@Hawks...if you are annoyed with Mangino, then allow Mangino to be annoyed with Jaybate. If the standard is "adding value", then Jaybate doesn't qualify. Just a bunch of BS that always takes up oodles of digital space. Some of us get tired of his long-winded tirades and "look at me, look at me" self-absorbed posts!

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

-1 Does that mean I get to curse him to purgatory for that, or hell? And do I assign a -1, or something greater? :-)

Mike Kendall 3 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate: I am the mayor of the water cooler and I say---- "Keep postin' man!"

Sam Constance 3 years, 8 months ago

Not to be that annoying guy who points out inconvenient details, but...

...isn't the very act of posting one's opinion on a public message board for a bunch of anonymous strangers to read, by definition, self-absorbed?

Not to mention the fact that, if jaybate is self-absorbed for composing his posts, then what would you call someone who demands that jaybate stop posting? That seems fairly self-absorbed to me--heck, I'd say it's more self-absorbed to demand that another member cease posting than it is to post in the first place...

Look, I get why some people don't like jaybates essays. It's certainly an acquired taste, and I only read about half of his contributions, mostly because I don't often find myself with enough time to read them and also write posts of my own.

"Adding value" is a fairly subjective standard to meet, and in spite of the logistical challenges often posed by jaybate's contributions, they are different and interesting.

coloradojayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

+1 If people don't want to read Jaybate, they don't have to. Use the scroll button (or page down). I've got more disagreements now with him than I used to since he doesn't like Weiss, but I deal with it. Now I've got even more I have to scroll through to get beyond your "stop posting" stuff. I find his posts often interesting, as do many others from the posts supporting Jaybate. If you can persuade LJW to delete his account, then you'll have convinced those who matter to agree with you. They're the people to complain to, not Jaybate. Since he's still here, and I figure you've tried that "suggest removal" button, then you're on the losing side with this. He's not going anywhere. Give it a rest.

coloradojayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

That was to manginorh00lz, not to marchphog88.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

I also hate to be "That Guy"....................but you seem to be "Friends" and you "Follow" Jaybate at least according to his profile page? What's changed?

It's simple IMO..........

1) You like it!

2) You don't like it............skip it

Now...........back to basketball!

Joe Ross 3 years, 8 months ago

Here's the bottom line. All people have every right to post here so long as they don't offend the terms of the LJW's user agreement. I, for one, would never argue with Jaybate's right to post either insightful or pathetic comments however long they may be (and my personal opinion is that he does much more of the latter, but I digress). The problem I see is that Mang is catching heat for expressing annoyance at Jaybate's posts and is confronted with arguments to just skip reading them; however, the same must hold true for Mang himself. If you don't like it, skip it! If you reserve the right for yourselves to criticize Mang, then extend the same privilege to him when he takes issue with JB while sparing him guff. For my part, the brainchild of my ingenuity is currently taking form in my garage where I'm creating a Smart Mouse which recognizes his posts and immediately jumps down the page to avoid them. I've had to resort to such extreme measures considering my keypad was nearly fried from scrolling. I refuse to drink his kool-aid but if you are keen to partake then knock yourselves out. In any case, you should be consistent in your viewpoints. As far as following Jaybate, I remember a time when he was much less narcissistic and much more level headed (and that is when I chose to follow his posts), but he has abandoned reason in favor of grandstanding and I refuse to sit on my hands and pretend not to notice. And yes, I will exercise my right to post and say so. Post on, Mang!

Jeremy Paul 3 years, 8 months ago

Stop posting? Get out of town. What is TU anyway?

I really dislike Scott Drew. He's such a phony. He's up there with Calipari, Huggins, and Krzyzewski on the dislike list. Who else am I missing? And no, Quin Snyder is not on the list-- I loved that guy. Loved seeing his pretty hair and his crooked eyes and his look of absolute pain and agony as his teams got spanked. Loved seeing him cry and whine and wish he could go run into daddy's (or coach K's) arms.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 8 months ago

Just curious, why is Coach K on your list? He's run a clean program, obviously recruits well, and is generally one of the top coaches in the country every year. I'm definitely not a Duke fan, but I admire the coach and the program.

Jeremy Paul 3 years, 8 months ago

His petulant whining is what puts him on my list. I hate being one of those guys who always complains about the officiating, but he difinitely is able to cry to the refs, and they comply by making calls in Duke's favor. I remember reading a story once about Tony Gywnn, and about umpires calling balls-and-strikes on him. And one ump said that if Gwynn took a pitch, the umpire always called it a ball because he figured Gwynn knew the strikezone better than he did. I have the same feeling about Krzyzewski--he's such a legend in the sport, and he's obviously way more legendary and influential than any referee, and if he complains that something is a foul, well then by god, it must be a foul.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 8 months ago

It would be interesting if it could be studied, let's say, all of the fouls called on Duke in a season and compare that to all called on their opponents. I still smart about the '86 game against them in the final four and the foul count was something like 28-14. We lost by 3 or 4, were a seriously talented team, maybe the best I've seen at KU. Of course we've beaten them a few times in the tourney also, '88 being the most notable, and got a fair shake from the ref. Now that you bring it up, I guess I don't like the guy either!

Jeremy Paul 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with you about the '86 team. They '97 team was amazing, but I think the '86 team was their best. It was the next year that they installed the 3-point line, and if it had come a year earlier they definitely would have won it the title. All Ron Kellog did every game was nail 3-point length shots and only get 2 points for it. I was in 6th grade at the time, and I think after that duke game was the first time I ever felt real, true, painful heartbreak.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 8 months ago

'97, still can't figure out how they didn't just steamroll Arizona. I've got a lot of family in PA, Pittsburgh area. Where are you at?

Jim Roth 3 years, 8 months ago

1986 hurt. I've disliked Coach K since then. I respect him, but dislike him.

MinnesotaJay 3 years, 8 months ago

BU coming in as dogs has got to be bulletin board material for them. Gonna take our A game tonight.

And, from the piece above regarding the 'video flap:'

Well, now he knows. So, enjoy the video, fellas.

NH_JHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

The video incident is still getting a lot of play on the baylor boards. Lots of smalk talk going on down there in Waco these days. They devoted an entire thread to

Sam Constance 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow. It's actually somewhat entertaining to read if you can get past the unbelievable gall that some of the Baylor fans display on there.

My favorite part is the intra-Baylor bickering.

Or maybe the guy who started the thread (FishThatSvdWaco) opening with an anti-Kansas regionalist comment getting bent out of shape when the ONE Kansas fan who was immature enough to join the fray refers to Baylor fans as "hicks".

I do enjoy seeing such active trash talk from the fanbase of a school that has done jack and sh*t (and Jack left town). It's a fascinating study in the effect a 40-0 streak in the three most high-profile sports will have on a fan base.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 8 months ago

Don't watch then if it ruins it for you.

Bob Thompson 3 years, 8 months ago

Before half time? Try drunk before the game even starts.

Bob Thompson 3 years, 8 months ago

I turn the volume off on the TV and listen to the radio..... It's sad when they keep someone as lame as Dickie V doing the game. His only color is spouting how much he thinks he knows about games, and it usually isn't the game being played.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

If Scotty and the Teddy Bears run and hide in the tunnel this time, I vote that Coach Self pulls a "Petteway" move on Drew.

Man up Drew. Put on some "Depends" and watch the da*n video. It won't kill you.

Or maybe it will.

coloradojayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

If they feel they haven't covered what they need to cover before they get out on the floor in the first place, what is one minute in a tunnel going to solve for them?

Timmay97 3 years, 8 months ago

To me.....this is just another HUGE test for KU within the conference. A win would be great here to put their record to 5-0 in the conference.....but let's be realistic. Who has KU played on the road as of now in the conference? The toughest part of their conference schedule has yet to come: They still have to play:

@K-State @Baylor @Missouri @Texas @Iowa State

All of those games (even Texas) are "cause for concern" games. KU really got the easy part of the road schedule early in conference play.

To me, KU must win their home games to really have hope in winning the Big 12 this year. They can't afford to let one slip.

Lastly, though he's done an amazingly good job this year with staying out of foul trouble, is anyone else concerned about Thomas Robinson's fouls tonight against the big front line of Baylor?

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 8 months ago

TROuBle is his name!

He will be TROuBle for Drew's Bears tonight!

He has a deed on the paint and will not allow any bear to encroach on his property!

refugee 3 years, 8 months ago

Completely true! I remember thinking Drew could turn Baylor into something when he was hired. The situation was perfect. Good school, power conference, great area to recruit and a good young coach. A little like what Coach K had when he got the Duke job. KU needed a legit rival in the Big12. Baylor has become that. You don't have to like them but they deserve respect.

Jeremy Paul 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't respect people who proclaim to be someone they are not. Scott Drew portrays himself as this holy-roller, values-oriented, student-first type of coach, but everything I've read is that he's a foul-mouthed screaming back-stabber. Sorry I don't have any links at my fingertips right now to back this up, but maybe some of you remember reading about this stuff last year. I know Rick Barnes wants to kick his tail regarding trash-talking with recruits. It's one thing to be a complete harda** like Frank Martin is. I don't necessarily like him. but he is who he is and I respect that. Drew on the other hand acts like he's one way, but in fact is the opposite.

Robert Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

This is obviously a much more critical game for KU than it is for Baylor because the game is in AFH. I would like to think that if they win tonight, KU stands a good chance of going undefeated at home in conference play with MU being the biggest obstacle. I think 15-3 should win the conference.

Micah Mandy Haase 3 years, 8 months ago

So how hard would it be to keep Dickie V out of the fieldhouse??? I really don't want to hear him talking about how North Carolina is just misunderstood and how Duke is the greatest team in the whole wide world.

kureader 3 years, 8 months ago

I doubt he'll be talking much about North Carolina after their dismal 33 point loss to Florida State. Unfortunatly, your right about Duke. I'm sure we'll still hear about them.

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Unfortunately, Dukie V. is so infatuated with the ACC, and especially N. Carolina and Duke, that we will be bombarded with DV's defense of the Tarred and Feathered Heels in their lose to FSU during tonight's game. We're lucky we don't have to sit next to him before and after the game, because his mindset is going to remain "defend N. Carolina" until their next win.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow, 5 guys averaging in double figures. One reason TRob is putting up the numbers he has is who else is there that can do what the 3 forwards for Baylor are doing. Don't get me wrong, TRob is having a great year and I hope he wins all the post season awards. In fact he can win the awards based on what he does against teams like Baylor.

On another note, this is kind of strange feeling. BU has a team coming in that is still undefeated, very highly ranked, should probably be the favorites. This must be what it feels like in Austin, Columbia, Lubbock, Ames, etc. when KU comes into town. It's going to be fun for sure.

This isn't Baylor's first team that is highly regarded. For some reason they have a history of fading down the stretch when the going gets tough. Maybe we can get the Bears started on their annual winter hibernation.

kupride4u 3 years, 8 months ago

Will Drew be pulling his team off the floor during starting lineups again?

REHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

At this stage of the league season, 15-3 sounds reasonable, from Jayhawk viewpoint. If Jayhawks should lose tonight, Baylor is on track for 15-2 or better, as their momentum will be difficult to break. I view this game as essential to our hopes for a share or outright title. Rarely will an AFH contest be so keenly observed and anticipated in a timeframe five minutes before tipoff! Mr. Drew pulls a similar pre-game shenanigan, and he will cost his squad dearly.... If I were running a book, I'd give the Jayhawks 55/45 odds. The roar of the fieldhouse and coaching brilliance should offer our 7-9 competitors a viable edge. Rock Chalk!

Steve Corder 3 years, 8 months ago

KU basketball is and will remain the class of the Big 12 no mater the outcome tonight. Baylor has superior talent this year (and is doing very nicely for 2012 recruiting) and should take the conference and this game, but playing the AllenFieldHouse can rattle the best of teams.

This game will answer a lot of questions about the eventual conference champion, but the NCAA tourney is where this team can be really dangerous. The man controlling the basketball (Taylor) is THE key to winning, especially in the tournament.

REHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

jb, those doggers are once again wavin' their red flags into yer windshield. Time to rev up the engine, pop the old clutch and send the lead car into the wall on Curve 1.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 8 months ago

Definitely a big boy game. Everyone is going to have to step up. Can't get behind like against ISU and expect to win. Jump on them early and we have a good chance to win.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

I hate that reference "Big Boy Game". Every game is a "Big Boy Game" game.

Michael Ales 3 years, 8 months ago

Missing the game opening video at Allen Fieldhouse is like going to Disney World for the day and then skipping the parade to avoid traffic. The Baylor player's are the one's that missed out. They aren't all going to the NBA. They need to see what tradition is all about. Ever watch the opposing player's bench during the Video? 10 point advantage right off the bat baby! By the way, I pulled that stunt at Disney World with my kids and to this day don't know what I missed either.

Mel Clare 3 years, 8 months ago

Watch it on TV and listen to it on radio out of Allen................priceless!

kureader 3 years, 8 months ago

Drew is the guy who escorted his team out of the field house during KU player introductions ... classless! I'm sure Taylor and Robinson haven't forgotten.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

Somebody help me out. I know about Drew taking his team into the hallway a couple years ago, but why do KU fans hate this dude so much? I'm pretty indifferent towards the guy, but everyone else seems to hate him. Why? Help me hate this dude as much as everyone else...

oldalum 3 years, 8 months ago

No facts to go on, but the word is that all the other coaches dislike him because he badmouths other schools and coaches during recruiting. Taking his team into the hall to avoid the pre-game video was considered an insult, not just because of missing the video, but because it meant they also missed the KU player intros. Basically bad manners. And now he suddenly realizes that it might have been taken as an insult when all in the world he was wanting to do was give some last minute instructions to his team. Makes you wonder what was left that could be said in two minutes in the hall that hadn't been said in the dressing room.

dipperjones 3 years, 8 months ago

1) Scott Drew endured a tongue-lashing from Bob Knight after posting recruiting fliers w a pic of Knight, Drew and Billy Gillespie. Caption read "which of these coaches has not signed a McDonald's All-American in the last x years" (with a giant red X over Knight and Gillespie's photo.) I would pay to hear the exchange that took place between Knight and Drew in a bathroom @ a Big 12 conference meeting. To this day, Knight will comment favorably about some of Baylor's players, but ESPN board ops are instructed to kill his mike when Musberger starts raving about the job Scott Drew has done in Waco.

2) Drew still hasnt gotten over Darrell Arthur orally committing to Baylor, having his dream in a Jayhawk uniform, and changing his committment to Kansas. Remember the crap about some high school algebra grade that was allegedly changed in Arthur's favor after the Hawks won the NC in '08...I suspect Scott Drew.

3) Drew is known to have driven a Cadillac Escalade w over-sized rims to attract basketball players to Baylor.

4) Drew is notorious for hiring a top recruit's AAU coach to persuade the player to come to Baylor. See John Wall as exhibit A. Wall's AAU coach was an assistant on the Baylor staff the year Wall was at Kentucky. Baylor is a private school that does not have to disclose financial info such as coaches' salaries, etc. Watch during a timeout, Baylor has 10-12 assistant coaches, pretty much one per player that address them during timeouts because....a) Drew couldn't coach little league YMCA, and b) there's a better-than-zero chance the assistant is a former AAU coach of a BU player.

5) Pulling Baylor off the floor during KU's intro video last time Baylor played in Allen. Drew is a phony, snake-in-the-grass known for negative recruiting tactics that draw the ire of seemingly every coach in the conference.

6) Drew had Baylor's practice floor painted to be an exact replica of the Louisiana Superdome's floor...because apparently, Baylor is a lock to make this year's Final Four.

There is nobody I would love to hand his first loss more than Scott Drew.

Eric Baker 3 years, 8 months ago

You summed up perfectly why I dislike Scott Drew. Thank you!

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

"KU-Baylor Forecast in Haiku"

The bigs are a wash. Guards decide final outcome. Ours are much better.

Hank Cross 3 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone seriously think that BU is better than the Duke team that KU fought to a standstill? And KU is much better than they were about 2 months ago.

AFH - Where pretenders' dreams of B12 glory go to die.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I think Baylor is longer, more athletic, deeper, and more experienced than Duke. It just depends if Drew can corale all the talent and make the necessary adjustments during the game. It will be interesting how much "Flip Flopping" he does for the rest of the season between the match-up zone and man.

This squad is better than their 2010 Elite 8 squad that should have beaten Duke that year.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 8 months ago

This is a game for the ages---hope the Jayhawks don't miss out on the opportunity. I think of all the big games at the Phog--- UCLA, when Jacque Vaughn brought them back---just to name an example---this is one of these games. Good luck, Jayhawks! Beat the Bears!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

I think Scott Drew is as crooked as Lombardi Street in San Francisco and the biggest tool in anyone's tool box, because have any of you ever been to Waco, Texas??

It felt like I spent two years there, one week last fall, while doing a field survey for a building remodel. There must be something going on to get anybody to come down to that arm pit of a town to play basketball...and I don't think it's Baptist Prayer Meetings, either.

My prediction tonight,,Kansas 85, Baylor 70.

Krohnutz 3 years, 8 months ago

At tech school we had a girl from Waco there, ironically she was going to be a mental health tech.

My buddy Samuels kept picking fun at her town. Waco was an acronym for We Ain't Coming Out.

It stuck with me ever since.

And yeah, who do you think reported the "Arthur never graduated" bullcrap? Our guy Drew. He is as dirty as it gets, but he gets a pass because of his dad.

Krohnutz 3 years, 8 months ago

So I decided to peruse over the Baylor roster earlier. A few things stuck out to me:

1. I hate this team, and I have since realizing Drew was actually a prick. I think he gets a good name and a pass because his father and brother are both very nice guys. I think this version is a complete a$$hole.

1. This team is deep and young. Other than Quincy Acy, they are not losing anybody this year that they will not replace and/or improve upon. This assumes Perry Bones the Herd does not leave for the NBA (let's all hope).

2. This is potentially the first time Baylor has actually had more depth than KU. Drew has always had a couple very talented players that they bought (not that we do that, right?), but they are very long and deep this year.

3. I already felt like Bill Self was the best coach in the Big 12 (bigtime homer, I know right, but he has the numbers to back him up), but if he even splits with this Baylor squad it is no contest. I'm not sure if Hoiberg isn't moving up to second place. Drew gets as much talent as KU (and neither ever have the talent of Barnes), but this might be the first time his team can play defense. It probably isn't by design, but by accident. I don't recall a Bill Self team that COULDN'T play defense.

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

I'll weigh in with my prediction for this game: Baylor by 6. It pains me to think that, but for me the deciding factor is the short turnaround. Give Coach Self 5 days to prepare for these guys, and I swing it back and say KU by 8. With only a day off in-between games, however, I just don't think we are going to play as sharp as we need to in order to beat them.

I could very well be wrong. I hope Tyshawn attacking their zone causes them fits. I hope TRob bounces back from a mediocre performance. I hope Connor bounces back and starts shooting the lights out at home like we know he can. I hope EJ gained some confidence seeing a few of his 3s fall on Saturday. I hope Withey can hold his ground on the inside. I hope Releford simply took a game off offensively and returns with a much more productive game on that end. I hope so...on all accounts. Go get 'em tonight guys! RCJHGKU!!!

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

The good thing is that this is an opportunity for a quick turnaround and practice for the NCAA Tournament with 1 day rest.

I really wish Baylor would have been Saturday and Iowa State today because I could see how Iowa State would be a "Let Down" game had KU played and beaten Baylor on Saturday.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the Saturday/Monday games this year. It's an opportunity for not only the players to get better, but the coaches as well, which has been a weakness that has been noted by Coach Self.

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with you that this is good practice for the NCAA tournament, but as was noted during the last broadcast, KU has had more of these Saturday-Monday games than anyone else in the conference. So it's not like this is something new.

I think the best way to prepare for these sets of games is to focus less on your opponent, and more on yourself. This is somewhat speculation, but I'm wondering if in the past too much time has been spent on what our opponent does. If you have 5 days to prepare for a team, in this case Iowa St., and you spend a good bit of time preparing for what they do, I think it is going to hurt you the following game playing a team as different as Baylor. You are too locked in to what the opponent of the first game does, and are still thinking/reacting to that scouting report. Maybe not much, but just enough that you are a half a step slower. I can't exactly recall, but it seems as if there was something awkward about Richmond, something fairly unique about either the offense or defense they ran, and we came out after 5 days of preparing for them and destroyed them. Two days later VCU happened. I might be not recalling correctly in this instance either, but I seem to remember Coach Self saying that he prepared for the Lehigh game 2 years ago as much as he had for any game that season. Then two days later UNI happened. (If it wasn't the Lehigh game, I'm quite certain it was in fact a game in recent years against a number 16 seed first round opponent). Point is, focus less on your opponents and more on your own game. Play your game. Say "this is us, stop us if you can. I like our guys, and I don't think you can beat our guys playing within our system." We know Self is a master at taking what the opposing team gives us and exploiting it to the fullest possible advantage. And to his credit that has served us pretty well. However, this may be one of those small tweaks he needs to make to prevent the tournament upsets from happening, and it just might help us during the conference season as well. Of course the argument could be made that if this is in fact what we're doing, focusing as much as possible on the opponents, that if we changed that we might have lost the ISU game. Anyway, just something to ponder.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 8 months ago

I give you that it was not TRob's best game, but..."mediocre"?

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

Well, 14 boards isn't mediocre. But 11 points on 4-10 shooting, 2-6 from the free throw line, and fairly average defense...yes I'd call it a mediocre performance, by his standards. That's the thing about being the current frontrunner for POY honors.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

Not bad for zero FG attempts in the second half.

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

I would argue that zero FG attempts in the second half adds to the notion that it was a mediocre performance. Like Self said, your best player can't get zero second half shots. Either he has to demand the ball, or this is on Tyshawn, or a combination of both.

Krohnutz 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree that it was mediocre. His rebounding kept it from being a poor performance.

A stat we don't see is shot selection, and it was very poor for the entire team for the first half.

Krohnutz 3 years, 8 months ago

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with you, but not bad considering he had zero FG attempts in the second half. :)

kureader 3 years, 8 months ago

Baylor has a two day turnaround as well, so I don't see how that makes a difference. KU has Allen Field House ... hopefully that will make the difference. Baylor will be a tough matchup on their court, we're tough on ours. I hope Drew takes his team out of the arena during KU introductions again. It will put the fans into the game.

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

kureader - The difference is coaching. Coach Self is better than Drew, but Coach Self's advantage is marginalized by the short turnaround. No matter how many days between games, Coach Drew would never be able to gameplan for KU enough to give Baylor an edge in that department - coaching, preparation, strategy, etc. Like I said before, give Coach Self 5 days to prepare his team, and it swings the advantage back to KU. However, without that time, the game becomes a little less about coaching, preparation, strategy, and it becomes that much more about talent. Baylor has more talent, in greater abundance.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

Thot wos a misquote. Balor con't be a fovorite.

oldalum 3 years, 8 months ago

Actually, I think it's KU by 6 some places, 8 in others. Apparently home court counts more than national rankings.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

misssouricat, are you as proud of our home state as I am?

1] We currently lead in meth labs nationally. 2] We currently lead in puppy mills nationally. 3] And we just took over first place in unlicensed day care centers!!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Oakville - and those numbers are WAY understated as most of them have all three facilities under one roof.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 8 months ago

"KU is 2-2 against ranked foes in 2011-12"

Last time I checked, KU is 3-2 against ranked (top 25) teams (wins: OSU. KSU, Georgetown). Jeff Sagarin agrees with me.

bad_dog 3 years, 8 months ago

I believe that comment references teams that were ranked when we played them. G-town was not ranked when we played them.

Bion Ostrander 3 years, 8 months ago

KU will need their "A" game tonight, TT will have to control his turnovers (ha!), TRob will need lots of touches (unlike the ISU game), KU can't rely on the 3-point shot, and at least one other Hawk will need a big game. KU will win if they can get out and run and score before Baylor sets up its zone/defense (running assumes that Baylor misses some shots).

Who cares if Drew took his team out in the hall before the game, give it up, apparently most of you aren't aware that NO team watches the KU pre-game video...they are going over last minute preparation.

Do you think Bill Self sits his boys down at halfcourt with popcorn to watch other teams' pre-game videos when he is on the road. I understand b-ball is all we have, but please try and bring some objectivity to the blog.

Now the definition of a classless crybaby, is being the No. 3 team in the country and pulling your 10 best players off the court 14 seconds before the game is over when you are losing by 30 points because you are afraid your players might get hurt in the post-game celebration by opposing fans - - which apparently means that you don't care anything about those 5 substitute players you left on the court to finish the game.

Rock Chalk...and who cares about the Whoo.....Or for those snobs who need a return to " strict tradition", lets bring back peach baskets and Naismith's original 13 rules for basketball.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

Going into a game like this, my thoughts don't go to talent, or venue, or history. They go to our coach.

Bill Self is the best coach in the game. Even if that is doubted from outsiders, there can be no doubt that Bill Self is the best "conference play" coach in the game.

Even more precisely, he is the best "conference play" coach in big games. Sure, an Iowa St., or Nebraska, or some pud might give us a scare here and there. But there is no doubt we have a big advantage tonight because of the guy on the bench.

Tonight will set the tone for the rest of the Big 12 season. A season where the conference championship, like 2009, means more than when we have an "elite" team, and bigger goals seem more reachable. This is a blue collar team. We aren't getting style points. But make no mistake, this team can get to the Final Four .. and it doesn't need a paved path.

Tonight can show the college basketball world that the king ain't dead. It can push us into the top tier discussion.

The Big 10 broke into conferences .. Legends and Leaders. In the Big 12, the basketball side should be Hawks and Followers.

But we should not be so quick to mock Baylor, or their coach. You don't get to 17-0 with smoke and mirrors. They were a poorly refereed game away from the Final Four two seasons ago. Their coach can coach, and that roster has talent.

But we have coach Self.

If there is one thing this team needs tonight moving forward .. to push this team to the next level .. is either Releford or EJ to lead the way. Releford to reestablish the energy prior to ISU .. to assert himself and not pass on opportunites. Slashing against a zone defense is the best way to break it down. He's our man for that from the wing. And EJ, the next step in the development of this team .. to have that 6 of 9 three point shooting night, to drop 24 over the top.

We know TRob can dominate. We know TT can explode at times. But EJ and/or Releford being the leader on the offensive end gives this team the important 3rd threat. The more those two progress, the less our depth issues are a concern on the offensive end.

KU 79 Baylor 71

Hank Cross 3 years, 8 months ago

I think BU is about to be exposed. I reviewed Baylor's schedule and outside of SDSU and MS state they haven't played any tough non-con games. (Who or what is "Paul Quinn"?) Teams like this rise and fall every year. If EJ gets his 3 going and Releford gets back to his groove of open 3s, break-away lay-ups, and some garbage around the hoop, KU should win decisively.

Robert Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

West Virginia and Mississippi State are pretty good. I hope you are right, but I think you are selling Baylor short.

REHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

If that Vegas line is correct, the sharpies out west had best hedge their spread...or some diehard Jayhawk gambling fans might just line their wallets with heavy green before midnight.

REHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

HEM, might be nice to see Jeff step up to block a half dozen shots, too.

KansasComet 3 years, 8 months ago

Looking forward to tonights game. Kansas has a chance to make a statement tonight. The statement is "We Are Kansas"! This year we simply reload when we lost 5 players that were starters at one time or another, and 3 recruits due to eligibility. Kansas Basketball remains relevant! That is a lot to be proud of. Over 20 straight appearances in "The Big Dance". An undefeated team comes to Allen Field House, and is still considered an underdog? Man, it's good to be a KU Fan! Go Jayhawks!!!

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

+1 Nice comments, Comet.

Most importantly, "We Are Kansas!" Moreso than in other years, that should be the motto for this year's team.

Marc Frey 3 years, 8 months ago

My son and his apartment mates are in Lawrence and will be at the game. They are SRs at Baylor. My son picked up some KU Basketball shoes on EBay and will try and get one signed tonight. They made a sign and hope to get on ESPN. I told them to enjoy the game and experience the best in college hoops at The Phog.

John Hunt 3 years, 8 months ago

This should be an incredibly exciting game. I devoted a ton of attention to it in my college basketball blog, maybe y'all could give me some of your thoughts?

I think this game may come down to turnovers. We obviously have issues taking care of the ball, but then again so does Baylor. If Taylor keeps himself under control and we maintain the same kind of ball security that we did against Iowa State, things will look good for us.

FLJHK 3 years, 8 months ago

This is an excellent blog, well worth reading.

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

For me the key tonight is, who else? Tyshawn Taylor. How he attacks the zone, and how Baylor responds, is the biggest chess move of the night. If Taylor attacks under control and can get quality looks, he should score and/or get some of their vaunted front-court depth in foul trouble. If he is out of control - spinning, twisting, throwing up circus shots, turning it over - we will fall behind early.

Other points of emphasis:

• Rebounding. Since the KSU game, KU has been out-rebounded in 2 of the 3 subsequent games. We cannot give Baylor extra looks, and may need to create a few more opportunities for ourselves.

• As HEM stated, a 3rd scoring option. I would guess this game would suit Travis just fine, as I expect him to be able to knife through the Baylor zone and get some good looks. EJ might also find some space to launch a few 3s. If they're falling, it bodes well for us.

• Nothing new, but TRob staying out of foul trouble. Few teams have multiple scoring options in the post, so we are often able to hide TRob by putting Withey on their best scorer, or we get creative with double teams and trapping the post. Tonight TRob is going to have to man-up on defense, and if he picks up 2 fouls with any significant amount of time left in the first half, we might be in trouble.

• Creating turnovers. I think we need to steal some possessions and create some transition offense tonight. KU has looked much better this year in transition than in years past.

Again, I predicted Baylor by 6, but if a couple of those keys to the game break our way, we're in good shape.

jcw3691 3 years, 8 months ago

On a side note - does anyone know the worst loss KU has had during the Bill Self era. After watching Roy get blown out by 33 the other night, it got me wondering if we'll ever see a loss like that from a Bill Self coached team?

Krohnutz 3 years, 8 months ago

I doubt it. Self-ball does not lend itself to getting blown out.

With Roy, it felt like if the other team had the better guards (especially really tough defensive ones like Hollis Price) we were in danger of losing those easy run-out buckets Roy's offense depends on. I call it the Bibby-Simon theory, and won't explain why as the memory is too painful.

But at the same time, Roy would have never lost to Northern Iowa, he would have run those fat YMCA looking guys until they puked.

You just have to pick your poison. I'm happy with Self, and am glad as hell he was our choice after Roy left.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

60-80 at Okie State in 2004

62-83 at Nova in 2005

55-80 at Texas in 2006

65-84 at Tech in 2009

Krohnutz 3 years, 8 months ago

Sorry if it read like I don't think Self has ever had his ass handed to him, he has, but never with a team that talented, and damn sure not since he has been at KU. But in all fairness, I get your point. So I went through and compiled a list, because I remember Okie State, remember Nova, and Texas, but I forgot about Tech, so as I get older my memory has gone to crap, and research is my friend.

I made a list of all losses by 18 or more points for Roy and Self, and to be honest, they were pretty similar. Why 18? It seemed like a solid estimate of when teams blow out a team without the free throw inflation at the end of a game that naturally occurs (sometimes turning an 8 point win into 14).

Here is what it looked like: Most bad losses occurred in year one (four for Roy, two for Self) and once they hit their stride they evened out. Roy had one exception in '99.

In total, Roy had 13 losses that were 18 or more in 15 years, he also had seven that were from 14-17 points (not counted). I almost gave Roy an extra point here because this is the same guy who ran it up on Kentucky, and the infamous "fu" and Pitino's tirade happened. Classic lore.

In 9 seasons Bill has had 5 bad losses, including the four you have there was also Nebraska in 2004. He had six games that were between 14 and 17 points (with Nevada at fourteen being the most embarrassing of them, not counted).

Again, Self has a better average for not getting blown out, and has never approached a 33 point loss while here (crosses fingers), but it wasn't like Roy made a habit of it.

Both have their share of tournament pukes. For every Northern Iowa there is a Rhode Island, and for every Virginia Commonwealth there is a UTEP.

I loved Roy, grew up with him as "my coach," and I hold no grudges for him heading home, but I'll take Bill Self any day of the week.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

Ladies and gents.................we have #3 vs #7 matchup tonight. Latest rankings:

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

Okay, I finally just got done reading all the posts. 1 other key point that HEM, Jaybate, Icthawkfan, and others haven't mentioned is...........

1) 3 point FG attempts. A couple of weeks ago I showed a lot of stats with KU's 3 pt FG attempts and I'm scared to death to even think about how badly Baylor may beat KU if they are shooting 20 or more from long range tonight. I would like to see about 15-18 attempts from this squad, especially tonight. A lot will depend on the zone or man, but hopefully TT will have enough composure to control that temp.

I know this team can get out and run and to some degree I'm a fan of that for this squad, but KU has definitely got to be more selective in it's shot selections from deep IMO from year's past.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Which ever team can't hit treys loses tonight.

Which ever team gets their star big fouled up first half, will struggle.

But I think TRob can stay in the game.

And I think our long guards can shut off their short guards outside and still stay with them on the dribble.

Everything I am saying is predicated on Travis being able to hold Acy to half his average.

If Acy, who hasn't got a trey, can score off Trav on the drive, we are cooked.

And we agree, if KU can't knock any treys down, its an L.

But they will.

And Trav will.

They have already played a much longer team in UK.

They have seen as much talent several times.

If our shooting is sharp, we win.

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I've been harping for a while now that 3's should be KU's last resort. Especially, for EJ. Johnson has the tools to drive (and for lobs), but takes the lazy route and pops 3's much too often. If he were making them, consistently, it would be fine. But he doesn't.

Compare KU's 2 point % to their 3 point %. The advantage of shooting 2's is obvious.

jaybate 3 years, 8 months ago

Aw, screw it. I was going to write something clever in the form of a CIA Memo and action plan, but bottom line is our defense is just going to shut these guys down.

On offense:

We'll struggle a bit with their 2-3 zone, then crush it with Tyshawn splitting the guys on top. Instead of going man, they'll try 1-3-1 and Travis will run wild on the baseline.

TRob vs Jones is a wash.

Withey will outscore his guy.

Travis will hold Acy below his average and score and break even on scoring.

TT will shoot over his guy in zones and take his guy to the iron when Drew tries m2m.

EJ will shoot over his guy in zones and take his guy to the iron, when Drew tries m2m.

Our bench will defend better than theirs.

Conner will outshoot their substitute dinger.

We will deny their runty guards the trey and be fast enough to turn and burn to catch them.

KU wins by ten.

Timmay97 3 years, 8 months ago

Based on the new AP poll just put out, KU has played (or will play) the following:

2 Kentucky

3 Baylor (tonight)

4 Duke

5 Missouri (soon)

6 Ohio State

10 Georgetown

Who in the nation has a schedule like this? To me, that's absolutely unbelievable. And we have to play Baylor and MIssouri twice.

I think this schedule is really going to have our team ready for the tournament. I love it!

Krohnutz 3 years, 8 months ago

Posted about this a couple weeks back. At the time Georgetown was 11th, we had played (or will twice) six of the top eleven. At the time Kansas State was ranked and Iowa State was getting votes, so two other top thirty to thirty five teams a couple extra times a season.

Crazy season, and honestly, Self has pulled a lot more out of these guys than I thought they had. I really think he should be getting looked at for coach of the year, damn sure Big 12.

Hank Cross 3 years, 8 months ago

That's why Baylor is going to be hurting tonight. This team is already more battle hardended than any KU team I can recall. They know that what it's like to have a talented team laugh in their faces (UK), to fight a top team to basically a draw on a neutral court (Duke), and to lose to a mid-major.

The intro-video is going to be the least of BU's worries tonight.

Krohnutz 3 years, 8 months ago

You called it man.

And I'm serious, to this point Bill Self is CotY.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

Attacking the zone off the dribble .. very difficult to do from the top but for quick ball reversal.

To Ict's point on penetration: Wonder if getting TT to the wing more would give him more opportunities to penetrate? I think it would. Forcing it from the top is a recipe many times for disaster against a zone. Slashing from the wing is generally easier vs. a zone. Quick ball reversal will set up the slashing. TT's weakness penetrating -- dishing vs. shooting -- will be highlighted vs. a zone. He needs to drive and dump to destroy the zone. One thing he does adequately is drive and kick to the three point shooter. We needs the dumps to TRob, or Withey, etc. Laying it off will make the penetration effective. If he doesn't, then it will be a dogpile, blocked shot, etc.

I hope JB is right about our bench defending better .. KY, Wesley, and Teahan have much to be desired there.

I really like that Self has moved Withey to the top on the high-low. Withey's inability to establishpost and receive was pretty evident. We need TRob down low most of the time.

BigManU -- How about a little EJ rain, but better than 50% tonight. Perhaps he's been holding out for a 6 for 8? Time to revert to the mean.

But the highlight of the evening will be watching Releford on defense. If Releford can hold Acy down, as JB said, this looks pretty good.

Kye Clark 3 years, 8 months ago

I thought about including the need for TT to "drive and dump" off of penetration, but at this point it doesn't seem likely to happen. Maybe once or even twice if we're lucky, but I'd be shocked if it was a big part of his game tonight.

Sam Constance 3 years, 8 months ago

As far as I'm concerned, this is not really a "must win" for KU tonight.

I agree with everyone who has noted that the game is vital for Kansas, given that it is in AFH and Baylor is on fire right now, but I don't know if Kansas needs to win this game, as long as it can win 1 of 2 from Baylor. Granted, I understand that if we lose to Baylor in AFH, the chances of us pulling it out in Waco are slimmer, but there is more than meets the eye with the Big 12 conference race and how Baylor/Kansas factor in...

My thinking is this: Baylor is a supremely talented team. They remind me of some of KU's not-to-distant teams of recent years, in the depth and the fact that every single position on the floor could hurt you offensively, and lockdown defensively. But Baylor has never really been here--in a wall-to-wall conference title race, where every game matters. The trick that teams not named 'Kansas' have never seemed to figure out is that you win the conference title, not with high-profile marquee matchups like tonight's, but by keeping the intensity and drive intact for games against the also-rans of the conference. Just look at last year--uber-talented Texas came into AFH and won the primetime matchup, but gave away the Big 12 Title because they dropped games they shouldn't have down the stretch. I don't know about the rest of you, but I remember when we got down to about 3-4 games left in the schedule, thinking that the consecutive titles streak would finally come to an end.

The other thing to consider is how a team responds after finally losing following a long winning streak. When you get up to 14-15-16 games in a row and more, a team seemingly forgets how to rebound from a loss, and it can spiral into a handful of losses (not necessarily in a row), especially without the strong and proven guiding hand of a coach like Bill Self. So I think we still have a great deal more to learn about Baylor and those learning opportunities will arise when:

1) Baylor finally loses a game and we see how they respond/rebound 2) Baylor gets to the second half of the schedule. If they have the conference lead at that time, and control their own destiny, it will be interesting to see how they respond to having it "wrapped up", like Texas did last year.

So while I really want us to win this game--like I do every game in AFH--I'm not sure I can declare that this is the game that will win/lose the conference title. This game, for all intents and purposes, is a coin flip. Coin flip games only determine conference titles when you have two teams playing with a proven history of following-through and winning down the stretch, like Duke/UNC. In a situation like we have in the Big 12 this year, the conference title will be won/lost based on how the contenders fare in games they are expected to win.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I golfed today.... Big Monday tonight. Perfect day. Hide YO kidz.

Robert Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

I find it amazing how many people on this board are so dismissive of Baylor's accomplishments. They are deep. They have a great front court. They are battle tested. They have played and beat some very good teams- SDSU, WV, Miss State, Northwestern. They are experienced. To me, this is a game that could go either way, but one that I would expect KU to pull out by a handful of points.

I live in Texas and in general people here like to see KU lose because of perceived arrogance by our fans. Sort of like, Duke-lite or Texas football. Viewing from afar, I think people have a point about the arrogance of some KU basketball fans.

I guess this could be generational. We live in a trash talking society and let's face it, I went to school late in the Ted Owens era. It's not as if KU was the dominant team in the Big 8 or was invinceable at home. That may make me more cautious. I can remember having a six point lead at Kentucky with 31 seconds left and losing the game in regulation!!!

Hank Cross 3 years, 8 months ago

I get what your are saying, but UT fans think KU fans are arrogant? Wow.

BU may have played a handfull of decent teams, but nowhere near the level of comp KU has this year. BU's going to be walking into an emotional hurricane this year and I doubt how they are going to react. BU's tough tourney game was 2 years ago - so I don't know how much of that experience that will carry over.

Now, if a KU team from another year was going to be playing a mid-major in the tourney, that would be a different story about what I think of KU's chances tonight.

Robert Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

Interestingly, most UT fans I know respect Kansas basketball when they think about basketball. UT fans are bandwagon basketball fans. When they were undefeated two years ago and beat KU and looked like they would win the conference last year, there was some basketball buzz. I don't hear anything about UT or A&M this year. Some of that might be due to the fact that the Houston Texans have been the big story the last few months. Now that the season is over, it will be interesting to see what is discussed.

KU is now ranked 7th and if they win tonight could be in the Top 5 next week. Does anyone honestly believe they are that good?

Maybe this is the year that KU as 3 seed makes it to the Final Four!!

SCHNBALL 3 years, 8 months ago

Checklist after the game:

1. Can Tyshawn be aggressive while keeping his turnovers to 4 or less. I have called him out several times, but I now see a senior who is beginning to see his career at KU winding down and his time is now.
  2. How do we handle the high pick and roll tonight, Baylor has shooters. If they are hitting the 3, will we try a zone.
  3. Offensively, I believe Baylor will play more man to man than we think, do we have more of an offense than we did against Kentucky (similar length) in the second half.

2 out 3 on the good side we win.

Sam Constance 3 years, 8 months ago

The idea of anyone from Texas getting bent out of shape due to some college sports fan arrogance is hilarious to me.

After all, a lot of the Texans I've met have a pretty high opinion of themselves and their state.

I think part of the reason Baylor is getting dismissed to some degree is because they are new to this situation. I talk about it a bit in my last post, but riding the emotion and adrenaline from a fast start (especially against the 130th ranked schedule in the country) is a different beast than successfully navigating a long conference season, where every game can make a difference in the final standings.

Conference championships are fueled by athleticism and skill, but they are WON by determination and resolve. Even if Baylor wins tonight, the true test will come as they face the teams they should beat, and as they approach the final 4-5 games on the schedule, with the conference race in the balance.

So while Baylor is deeper, longer, more athletic, etc... than KU (all points that will serve them quite well in an individual, one-time game), KU has a coach (and group of guys) who understand the conference grind and how to maintain focus even against the also-rans and when the title seems like it's in the bag already. Baylor definitely has the tools to win tonight. But they will need more than just those tools to win the conference.

RockChalkDoc 3 years, 8 months ago

I think I heard Digger pick KU tonight. OMG. Rock Chalk!!!

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 8 months ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Dick Vitale is announcing. Now we will have to hear about how Duke and UNC's seasons are going.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 8 months ago

Which Waco location draws more visitors, the Baylor campus or the former Branch Davidian compound site?

Steve Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

Male Students 75 years ago had posters of Bette Graybill in their lockers. Male Students 35 years ago had posters of Farah Fawcett Majors on the dorm wall. Male students 12 years ago had posters of Pamela Anderson on their YouTube. Dickie V 8 days ago still has his poster of Coach K on his IPhone.

Technology changes, content does not.

theend 3 years, 8 months ago

As usual.....I'm sure the first game will go long and we will miss the first 10 minutes of KU.......When will ESPN understand that college basketball games last longer than 2 hours??? Aggravating.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 8 months ago

We need Olivia Wilde at the game tonight. If she wants to see how the fieldhouse really gets amped up, this would be the game.

theend 3 years, 8 months ago

Hilarious that UNC got clobbered by FSU the other day. I wonder how the national sports media will explain that one away. I'm sure they have plenty of excuses already thought of to use.

kanhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Aside from a great matchup, we also get to hear ESPN refer to Allen Fieldhouse as "Phog" Allen Fieldhouse all night long.

theend 3 years, 8 months ago

And they will be late getting to coverage of KU never fails that we miss the first 10 minutes.

centralkskufan 3 years, 8 months ago

will this game b on espn 360 at least? I'm worried we will miss a lot of the first half. Syracuse could be up 30 on pitt and they prob wouldn't change the game.

theend 3 years, 8 months ago

Not sure about 360.......and ESPN does not end coverage early no matter what. Plus the Syracuse game started about 12 minutes yes......we will miss a lot. They may delay the KU game start 10 minutes but probably not more than that.

nighthawking 3 years, 8 months ago

Great win tonight Hawks. Allen Fieldhouse was electrified as usual. Loved it !!

Craig Carr 3 years, 8 months ago

Just a one and done here, as a KU alum we couldn't have a better coach. Bill Self is the best in the game- college or otherwise. Should be thankful everyday he is our representative! Rock Chalk