Originally published January 16, 2012 at 12:00a.m., updated January 16, 2012 at 01:44a.m.

Battle of the bigs: Big-name big men to meet on Big Monday

Tonight’s Big Monday game between Kansas University and Baylor could feature an interesting game-within-the-game between KU’s Thomas Robinson, No. 0 in photo at left, and Baylor’s Perry Jones III, No. 1 in photo at right.

Bill Self worked at Kansas University — as a graduate assistant — the last time a visiting Big 12/Big Eight team came to Allen Fieldhouse with an unblemished overall record.

One has to go back to Jan. 21, 1986, when No. 5-ranked Oklahoma (17-0) was taken down by No. 7-rated KU, 98-92.

Today, a mere 26 years later, No. 4 Baylor carries an identical 17-0, 4-0 record into Allen for an 8:30 p.m. showdown against the No. 10 Jayhawks (14-3, 4-0).

“I think we’ll be really excited playing on Martin Luther King Day in a Big Monday game. Getting Vitale (Dick, ESPN) and those cats in here ... I think does add to it,” ninth-year KU head coach Self said of what figures to be a huge hoops happening.

“Our guys will be geeked up and ready to go, no question.”

KU, which leads the all-time series against Baylor, 16-2 — Self is 8-1 versus the Bears; Baylor coach Scott Drew is 1-8 against the Jayhawks — will be facing one of the most talented teams in Baylor history tonight.

“I don’t know how many NBA guys they’ve got, but they’ve got more than they ever have,” Self said.

Draftexpress.com believes 6-foot-11 sophomore Perry Jones III (13.8 ppg, 7.7 rpg) will be the No. 5 overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft and 6-9 freshman Quincy Miller (11.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg) the No. 12 selection. Quincy Acy, a 6-7 senior (12.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg), is a major talent with 40 blocked shots, while 5-10 juco transfer Pierre Jackson averages 12.3 points and 5.1 assists. Brady Heslip, a 6-2 sophomore, averages 10.5 ppg.

“They are terrific,” Self said of a BU team off to the best start in school history. The Bears join Murray State and Syracuse as the only remaining undefeated teams in Div. I this season.

“They play (2-3) zone. It’s different. We can’t simulate their length in practice. I wish we had more than one day to prepare for their zone,” Self added.

BU has used some man-to-man defense this season as well.

“They start in zone. They are mixing it up pretty well,” Self said.

As to how KU will try to attack, Self said: “The more length they have, it seems to me the harder you have to take it at them. You can’t shy from contact or they’ll end up blocking everything. I hope we can get the ball inside the zone and not settle.”

The Jayhawks enter as 51⁄2-point favorites.

“I think it’s going to be a good game. I’m excited for this game,” said KU senior point guard Tyshawn Taylor, who exploded for 28 points in Saturday’s 82-73 victory over Iowa State at Allen Fieldhouse.

Baylor, meanwhile, crushed Oklahoma State, 106-65, Saturday in Waco, Texas, behind Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Jones’ 19 points and 12 rebounds. Miller had 21 points and Jackson 18 points, including five of BU’s 15 threes.

“Baylor is a really good team, really athletic. They have guys that can make plays. They have guys that can pretty much stretch the floor and do everything,” Taylor said. “I think it’s going to be a good challenge for us. I’m really excited. It’s a Big Monday game, and the fieldhouse is going to be crazy.

“They’re going to come in with a lot of confidence, as they should. They’re an undefeated team with really good players, so it’s going to be a good game.”

Jones knows Robinson: Baylor’s Jones competed at several camps this past summer with KU’s Thomas Robinson.

“I mean, we are cool off the court, even on the court, but when it’s time to compete, it’s time to compete,” Jones told the Journal-World at Big 12 Media Days. “I’m definitely going to give him my A-game. I know he’ll give me his A-game. It definitely will be a competitive game.”

The 235-pound Jones practices daily against BU’s Acy.

“He’s fast, the same as Robinson. It’ll be an all-around good game for both of us,” Jones said of him and Robinson.

Jones was asked by the Dallas Morning News if Saturday’s rout of OSU served as a “statement game” heading into today’s contest.

“No, not at all. Just taking it one game at a time,” he said. “Not looking ahead until it’s time. Now it’s time to get ready for Kansas. And that’s what we need to focus on now.”

Remember the video flap?: It should be interesting to see if Baylor stays on the court to view KU’s pregame video tonight. Two seasons ago, the Bears raced through the southwest tunnel for some quiet time as the Jayhawk video played and the Jayhawks were introduced.

“I don’t think it was a slap in the face, but I thought it was disrespectful. You can’t come in somebody’s home court and disrespect them like that,” then-KU senior Sherron Collins said after hitting for 28 points in an 81-75 KU victory. “I went to our huddle and said what they did was disrespectful. I said, ‘Let’s go. Let’s win.’”

BU coach Drew at the time explained: “I never dreamed that people might take it as disrespectful. Obviously, had I known that might be the case, we’d have never done it. It was simply because we knew we only had a minute when we got back out. We wanted to go over what we wanted to do to start the game, and there’s no rules against it or anything. We just met in the hallway because their intro is pretty good and pretty long. (It was) no sign of disrespect or anything like that.”

About the Bears: BU (17-0) is the fifth Big 12 team to start a season 15-0 or better. KU owns the three-best season starts — 22-0 in 1996-97, 20-0 in 2007-08 and 18-0 in 2010-11. Texas started 17-0 in 2009-10. ... BU is 1-4 all-time in ESPN Big Monday contests; its lone win came against No. 6 KU in 2001. ... Baylor is 4-0 in games decided by five points or less. ... BU has made at least one three-pointer in 636 consecutive games. ... BU senior Acy ranks 18th in school history with 1,114 points. He also is second in career FG percentage (60.6), second in career blocks (147) and needs eight rebounds to crack Baylor’s career top-10. ... In his last 48 games, Acy has blocked 85 shots. ... In all, 50 of Heslip’s 58 field goals have been threes. ... Heslip has made multiple treys in 14 games. ... Heslip and Jackson have combined for 85 points in the last three games.

About KU: KU is facing its fourth Top-10 team this season. The Jayhawks lost to No. 2 Kentucky, 75-65, in the Champions Classic Nov. 15 at Madison Square Garden and to No. 6 Duke, 68-61, in the Nov. 25 championship game of the Maui Invitational. KU beat No. 2 Ohio State, 78-67, on Dec. 10 in Lawrence. ... KU is 2-2 against ranked foes in 2011-12, 28-10 since 2006-07 and 37-20 under Self (2003-04). ... KU has won 15 in a row at home.

Comments

Craig Carr 2 years, 3 months ago

Just a one and done here, as a KU alum we couldn't have a better coach. Bill Self is the best in the game- college or otherwise. Should be thankful everyday he is our representative! Rock Chalk

Konkis Dongington III 2 years, 3 months ago

Thomas Robinson put his mark on the player of the year race with an exclamation point! Loved it. Loved the crowd. Loved the performance. Gotta give it up. Crazy win. I thought we could pull it off, but I never dreamed of winning by this kind of margin. The race for the conference title is gonna come down to the first team to blink at home. KU didn't blink. Bet Mizzou does. Will Baylor? Still, the toughest part of our conf schedule is ahead of us. Baylor at Waco. Mizzou twice. KState at the Octogon. ISU at Hilton. I don't know why ESPN thinks the Big 10 is the harder conference. Top to bottom, the Big 12 is crazy tough this year.

nighthawking 2 years, 3 months ago

Great win tonight Hawks. Allen Fieldhouse was electrified as usual. Loved it !!

kanhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Aside from a great matchup, we also get to hear ESPN refer to Allen Fieldhouse as "Phog" Allen Fieldhouse all night long.

theend 2 years, 3 months ago

Hilarious that UNC got clobbered by FSU the other day. I wonder how the national sports media will explain that one away. I'm sure they have plenty of excuses already thought of to use.

jayhawkintexas 2 years, 3 months ago

We need Olivia Wilde at the game tonight. If she wants to see how the fieldhouse really gets amped up, this would be the game.

theend 2 years, 3 months ago

As usual.....I'm sure the first game will go long and we will miss the first 10 minutes of KU.......When will ESPN understand that college basketball games last longer than 2 hours??? Aggravating.

Steve Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

Male Students 75 years ago had posters of Bette Graybill in their lockers. Male Students 35 years ago had posters of Farah Fawcett Majors on the dorm wall. Male students 12 years ago had posters of Pamela Anderson on their YouTube. Dickie V 8 days ago still has his poster of Coach K on his IPhone.

Technology changes, content does not.

William Blake 2 years, 3 months ago

Has anyone else in here heard the story that the IRS will start investigating college recruits who suddenly start receiving benefits without having a job (beyond their scholarship)? I heard this will start taking place this calendar year and I heard it from an IRS auditor. He told me they will be promoting % cash rewards to people for turning others in.

Evidently, if players receive cash, cars, or other benefits to attend a university the IRS wants to know and receive their fair share. Failing to report these items as income will qualify an athlete for prosecution of tax fraud and the penalties are steep.

Sounds like a huge revenue find for the IRS. There may be some worried athletes in AFH tonight wearing their favorite color; green.

Surely someone in here knows something about it.... is it true or false?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

Which Waco location draws more visitors, the Baylor campus or the former Branch Davidian compound site?

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 3 months ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Dick Vitale is announcing. Now we will have to hear about how Duke and UNC's seasons are going.

RockChalkDoc 2 years, 3 months ago

I think I heard Digger pick KU tonight. OMG. Rock Chalk!!!

Sam Constance 2 years, 3 months ago

The idea of anyone from Texas getting bent out of shape due to some college sports fan arrogance is hilarious to me.

After all, a lot of the Texans I've met have a pretty high opinion of themselves and their state.

I think part of the reason Baylor is getting dismissed to some degree is because they are new to this situation. I talk about it a bit in my last post, but riding the emotion and adrenaline from a fast start (especially against the 130th ranked schedule in the country) is a different beast than successfully navigating a long conference season, where every game can make a difference in the final standings.

Conference championships are fueled by athleticism and skill, but they are WON by determination and resolve. Even if Baylor wins tonight, the true test will come as they face the teams they should beat, and as they approach the final 4-5 games on the schedule, with the conference race in the balance.

So while Baylor is deeper, longer, more athletic, etc... than KU (all points that will serve them quite well in an individual, one-time game), KU has a coach (and group of guys) who understand the conference grind and how to maintain focus even against the also-rans and when the title seems like it's in the bag already. Baylor definitely has the tools to win tonight. But they will need more than just those tools to win the conference.

SCHNBALL 2 years, 3 months ago

Checklist after the game:

1. Can Tyshawn be aggressive while keeping his turnovers to 4 or less. I have called him out several times, but I now see a senior who is beginning to see his career at KU winding down and his time is now.
  2. How do we handle the high pick and roll tonight, Baylor has shooters. If they are hitting the 3, will we try a zone.
  3. Offensively, I believe Baylor will play more man to man than we think, do we have more of an offense than we did against Kentucky (similar length) in the second half.

2 out 3 on the good side we win.

Robert Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

I find it amazing how many people on this board are so dismissive of Baylor's accomplishments. They are deep. They have a great front court. They are battle tested. They have played and beat some very good teams- SDSU, WV, Miss State, Northwestern. They are experienced. To me, this is a game that could go either way, but one that I would expect KU to pull out by a handful of points.

I live in Texas and in general people here like to see KU lose because of perceived arrogance by our fans. Sort of like, Duke-lite or Texas football. Viewing from afar, I think people have a point about the arrogance of some KU basketball fans.

I guess this could be generational. We live in a trash talking society and let's face it, I went to school late in the Ted Owens era. It's not as if KU was the dominant team in the Big 8 or was invinceable at home. That may make me more cautious. I can remember having a six point lead at Kentucky with 31 seconds left and losing the game in regulation!!!

dynamitehawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I golfed today.... Big Monday tonight. Perfect day. Hide YO kidz.

Sam Constance 2 years, 3 months ago

As far as I'm concerned, this is not really a "must win" for KU tonight.

I agree with everyone who has noted that the game is vital for Kansas, given that it is in AFH and Baylor is on fire right now, but I don't know if Kansas needs to win this game, as long as it can win 1 of 2 from Baylor. Granted, I understand that if we lose to Baylor in AFH, the chances of us pulling it out in Waco are slimmer, but there is more than meets the eye with the Big 12 conference race and how Baylor/Kansas factor in...

My thinking is this: Baylor is a supremely talented team. They remind me of some of KU's not-to-distant teams of recent years, in the depth and the fact that every single position on the floor could hurt you offensively, and lockdown defensively. But Baylor has never really been here--in a wall-to-wall conference title race, where every game matters. The trick that teams not named 'Kansas' have never seemed to figure out is that you win the conference title, not with high-profile marquee matchups like tonight's, but by keeping the intensity and drive intact for games against the also-rans of the conference. Just look at last year--uber-talented Texas came into AFH and won the primetime matchup, but gave away the Big 12 Title because they dropped games they shouldn't have down the stretch. I don't know about the rest of you, but I remember when we got down to about 3-4 games left in the schedule, thinking that the consecutive titles streak would finally come to an end.

The other thing to consider is how a team responds after finally losing following a long winning streak. When you get up to 14-15-16 games in a row and more, a team seemingly forgets how to rebound from a loss, and it can spiral into a handful of losses (not necessarily in a row), especially without the strong and proven guiding hand of a coach like Bill Self. So I think we still have a great deal more to learn about Baylor and those learning opportunities will arise when:

1) Baylor finally loses a game and we see how they respond/rebound 2) Baylor gets to the second half of the schedule. If they have the conference lead at that time, and control their own destiny, it will be interesting to see how they respond to having it "wrapped up", like Texas did last year.

So while I really want us to win this game--like I do every game in AFH--I'm not sure I can declare that this is the game that will win/lose the conference title. This game, for all intents and purposes, is a coin flip. Coin flip games only determine conference titles when you have two teams playing with a proven history of following-through and winning down the stretch, like Duke/UNC. In a situation like we have in the Big 12 this year, the conference title will be won/lost based on how the contenders fare in games they are expected to win.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

Attacking the zone off the dribble .. very difficult to do from the top but for quick ball reversal.

To Ict's point on penetration: Wonder if getting TT to the wing more would give him more opportunities to penetrate? I think it would. Forcing it from the top is a recipe many times for disaster against a zone. Slashing from the wing is generally easier vs. a zone. Quick ball reversal will set up the slashing. TT's weakness penetrating -- dishing vs. shooting -- will be highlighted vs. a zone. He needs to drive and dump to destroy the zone. One thing he does adequately is drive and kick to the three point shooter. We needs the dumps to TRob, or Withey, etc. Laying it off will make the penetration effective. If he doesn't, then it will be a dogpile, blocked shot, etc.

I hope JB is right about our bench defending better .. KY, Wesley, and Teahan have much to be desired there.

I really like that Self has moved Withey to the top on the high-low. Withey's inability to establishpost and receive was pretty evident. We need TRob down low most of the time.

BigManU -- How about a little EJ rain, but better than 50% tonight. Perhaps he's been holding out for a 6 for 8? Time to revert to the mean.

But the highlight of the evening will be watching Releford on defense. If Releford can hold Acy down, as JB said, this looks pretty good.

Timmay97 2 years, 3 months ago

Based on the new AP poll just put out, KU has played (or will play) the following:

2 Kentucky

3 Baylor (tonight)

4 Duke

5 Missouri (soon)

6 Ohio State

10 Georgetown

Who in the nation has a schedule like this? To me, that's absolutely unbelievable. And we have to play Baylor and MIssouri twice.

I think this schedule is really going to have our team ready for the tournament. I love it!

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Aw, screw it. I was going to write something clever in the form of a CIA Memo and action plan, but bottom line is our defense is just going to shut these guys down.

On offense:

We'll struggle a bit with their 2-3 zone, then crush it with Tyshawn splitting the guys on top. Instead of going man, they'll try 1-3-1 and Travis will run wild on the baseline.

TRob vs Jones is a wash.

Withey will outscore his guy.

Travis will hold Acy below his average and score and break even on scoring.

TT will shoot over his guy in zones and take his guy to the iron when Drew tries m2m.

EJ will shoot over his guy in zones and take his guy to the iron, when Drew tries m2m.

Our bench will defend better than theirs.

Conner will outshoot their substitute dinger.

Defense:

We will deny their runty guards the trey and be fast enough to turn and burn to catch them.

KU wins by ten.

Next.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 3 months ago

Okay, I finally just got done reading all the posts. 1 other key point that HEM, Jaybate, Icthawkfan, and others haven't mentioned is...........

1) 3 point FG attempts. A couple of weeks ago I showed a lot of stats with KU's 3 pt FG attempts and I'm scared to death to even think about how badly Baylor may beat KU if they are shooting 20 or more from long range tonight. I would like to see about 15-18 attempts from this squad, especially tonight. A lot will depend on the zone or man, but hopefully TT will have enough composure to control that temp.

I know this team can get out and run and to some degree I'm a fan of that for this squad, but KU has definitely got to be more selective in it's shot selections from deep IMO from year's past.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 3 months ago

Ladies and gents.................we have #3 vs #7 matchup tonight. Latest rankings:

jcw3691 2 years, 3 months ago

On a side note - does anyone know the worst loss KU has had during the Bill Self era. After watching Roy get blown out by 33 the other night, it got me wondering if we'll ever see a loss like that from a Bill Self coached team?

Kye Clark 2 years, 3 months ago

For me the key tonight is, who else? Tyshawn Taylor. How he attacks the zone, and how Baylor responds, is the biggest chess move of the night. If Taylor attacks under control and can get quality looks, he should score and/or get some of their vaunted front-court depth in foul trouble. If he is out of control - spinning, twisting, throwing up circus shots, turning it over - we will fall behind early.

Other points of emphasis:

• Rebounding. Since the KSU game, KU has been out-rebounded in 2 of the 3 subsequent games. We cannot give Baylor extra looks, and may need to create a few more opportunities for ourselves.

• As HEM stated, a 3rd scoring option. I would guess this game would suit Travis just fine, as I expect him to be able to knife through the Baylor zone and get some good looks. EJ might also find some space to launch a few 3s. If they're falling, it bodes well for us.

• Nothing new, but TRob staying out of foul trouble. Few teams have multiple scoring options in the post, so we are often able to hide TRob by putting Withey on their best scorer, or we get creative with double teams and trapping the post. Tonight TRob is going to have to man-up on defense, and if he picks up 2 fouls with any significant amount of time left in the first half, we might be in trouble.

• Creating turnovers. I think we need to steal some possessions and create some transition offense tonight. KU has looked much better this year in transition than in years past.

Again, I predicted Baylor by 6, but if a couple of those keys to the game break our way, we're in good shape.

Hawk62492 2 years, 3 months ago

This should be an incredibly exciting game. I devoted a ton of attention to it in my college basketball blog, maybe y'all could give me some of your thoughts? http://jhunt62492.wordpress.com/

I think this game may come down to turnovers. We obviously have issues taking care of the ball, but then again so does Baylor. If Taylor keeps himself under control and we maintain the same kind of ball security that we did against Iowa State, things will look good for us.

Marc Frey 2 years, 3 months ago

My son and his apartment mates are in Lawrence and will be at the game. They are SRs at Baylor. My son picked up some KU Basketball shoes on EBay and will try and get one signed tonight. They made a sign and hope to get on ESPN. I told them to enjoy the game and experience the best in college hoops at The Phog.

KansasComet 2 years, 3 months ago

Looking forward to tonights game. Kansas has a chance to make a statement tonight. The statement is "We Are Kansas"! This year we simply reload when we lost 5 players that were starters at one time or another, and 3 recruits due to eligibility. Kansas Basketball remains relevant! That is a lot to be proud of. Over 20 straight appearances in "The Big Dance". An undefeated team comes to Allen Field House, and is still considered an underdog? Man, it's good to be a KU Fan! Go Jayhawks!!!

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

HEM, might be nice to see Jeff step up to block a half dozen shots, too.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

If that Vegas line is correct, the sharpies out west had best hedge their spread...or some diehard Jayhawk gambling fans might just line their wallets with heavy green before midnight.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

Going into a game like this, my thoughts don't go to talent, or venue, or history. They go to our coach.

Bill Self is the best coach in the game. Even if that is doubted from outsiders, there can be no doubt that Bill Self is the best "conference play" coach in the game.

Even more precisely, he is the best "conference play" coach in big games. Sure, an Iowa St., or Nebraska, or some pud might give us a scare here and there. But there is no doubt we have a big advantage tonight because of the guy on the bench.

Tonight will set the tone for the rest of the Big 12 season. A season where the conference championship, like 2009, means more than when we have an "elite" team, and bigger goals seem more reachable. This is a blue collar team. We aren't getting style points. But make no mistake, this team can get to the Final Four .. and it doesn't need a paved path.

Tonight can show the college basketball world that the king ain't dead. It can push us into the top tier discussion.

The Big 10 broke into conferences .. Legends and Leaders. In the Big 12, the basketball side should be Hawks and Followers.

But we should not be so quick to mock Baylor, or their coach. You don't get to 17-0 with smoke and mirrors. They were a poorly refereed game away from the Final Four two seasons ago. Their coach can coach, and that roster has talent.

But we have coach Self.

If there is one thing this team needs tonight moving forward .. to push this team to the next level .. is either Releford or EJ to lead the way. Releford to reestablish the energy prior to ISU .. to assert himself and not pass on opportunites. Slashing against a zone defense is the best way to break it down. He's our man for that from the wing. And EJ, the next step in the development of this team .. to have that 6 of 9 three point shooting night, to drop 24 over the top.

We know TRob can dominate. We know TT can explode at times. But EJ and/or Releford being the leader on the offensive end gives this team the important 3rd threat. The more those two progress, the less our depth issues are a concern on the offensive end.

KU 79 Baylor 71

hawkster007 2 years, 3 months ago

KU will need their "A" game tonight, TT will have to control his turnovers (ha!), TRob will need lots of touches (unlike the ISU game), KU can't rely on the 3-point shot, and at least one other Hawk will need a big game. KU will win if they can get out and run and score before Baylor sets up its zone/defense (running assumes that Baylor misses some shots).

Who cares if Drew took his team out in the hall before the game, give it up, apparently most of you aren't aware that NO team watches the KU pre-game video...they are going over last minute preparation.

Do you think Bill Self sits his boys down at halfcourt with popcorn to watch other teams' pre-game videos when he is on the road. I understand b-ball is all we have, but please try and bring some objectivity to the blog.

Now the definition of a classless crybaby, is being the No. 3 team in the country and pulling your 10 best players off the court 14 seconds before the game is over when you are losing by 30 points because you are afraid your players might get hurt in the post-game celebration by opposing fans - - which apparently means that you don't care anything about those 5 substitute players you left on the court to finish the game.

Rock Chalk...and who cares about the Whoo.....Or for those snobs who need a return to " strict tradition", lets bring back peach baskets and Naismith's original 13 rules for basketball.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 3 months ago

"KU is 2-2 against ranked foes in 2011-12"

Last time I checked, KU is 3-2 against ranked (top 25) teams (wins: OSU. KSU, Georgetown). Jeff Sagarin agrees with me. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt1112.htm

missouricat 2 years, 3 months ago

Should be a good game tonight, might watch, if the time is available. Could be a close win for Baylor but, being on KU"s home floor could be a slim advantage for KU. Los Vegas is giving the win to Balor by 8.

Kye Clark 2 years, 3 months ago

I'll weigh in with my prediction for this game: Baylor by 6. It pains me to think that, but for me the deciding factor is the short turnaround. Give Coach Self 5 days to prepare for these guys, and I swing it back and say KU by 8. With only a day off in-between games, however, I just don't think we are going to play as sharp as we need to in order to beat them.

I could very well be wrong. I hope Tyshawn attacking their zone causes them fits. I hope TRob bounces back from a mediocre performance. I hope Connor bounces back and starts shooting the lights out at home like we know he can. I hope EJ gained some confidence seeing a few of his 3s fall on Saturday. I hope Withey can hold his ground on the inside. I hope Releford simply took a game off offensively and returns with a much more productive game on that end. I hope so...on all accounts. Go get 'em tonight guys! RCJHGKU!!!

Krohnutz 2 years, 3 months ago

So I decided to peruse over the Baylor roster earlier. A few things stuck out to me:

1. I hate this team, and I have since realizing Drew was actually a prick. I think he gets a good name and a pass because his father and brother are both very nice guys. I think this version is a complete a$$hole.

anyhow...

1. This team is deep and young. Other than Quincy Acy, they are not losing anybody this year that they will not replace and/or improve upon. This assumes Perry Bones the Herd does not leave for the NBA (let's all hope).

2. This is potentially the first time Baylor has actually had more depth than KU. Drew has always had a couple very talented players that they bought (not that we do that, right?), but they are very long and deep this year.

3. I already felt like Bill Self was the best coach in the Big 12 (bigtime homer, I know right, but he has the numbers to back him up), but if he even splits with this Baylor squad it is no contest. I'm not sure if Hoiberg isn't moving up to second place. Drew gets as much talent as KU (and neither ever have the talent of Barnes), but this might be the first time his team can play defense. It probably isn't by design, but by accident. I don't recall a Bill Self team that COULDN'T play defense.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

I think Scott Drew is as crooked as Lombardi Street in San Francisco and the biggest tool in anyone's tool box, because have any of you ever been to Waco, Texas??

It felt like I spent two years there, one week last fall, while doing a field survey for a building remodel. There must be something going on to get anybody to come down to that arm pit of a town to play basketball...and I don't think it's Baptist Prayer Meetings, either.

My prediction tonight,,Kansas 85, Baylor 70.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

This is a game for the ages---hope the Jayhawks don't miss out on the opportunity. I think of all the big games at the Phog--- UCLA, when Jacque Vaughn brought them back---just to name an example---this is one of these games. Good luck, Jayhawks! Beat the Bears!

Hank Cross 2 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone seriously think that BU is better than the Duke team that KU fought to a standstill? And KU is much better than they were about 2 months ago.

AFH - Where pretenders' dreams of B12 glory go to die.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

"KU-Baylor Forecast in Haiku"

The bigs are a wash. Guards decide final outcome. Ours are much better.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

Somebody help me out. I know about Drew taking his team into the hallway a couple years ago, but why do KU fans hate this dude so much? I'm pretty indifferent towards the guy, but everyone else seems to hate him. Why? Help me hate this dude as much as everyone else...

kureader 2 years, 3 months ago

Drew is the guy who escorted his team out of the field house during KU player introductions ... classless! I'm sure Taylor and Robinson haven't forgotten.

Mel Clare 2 years, 3 months ago

Watch it on TV and listen to it on radio out of Allen................priceless!

mdalesh 2 years, 3 months ago

Missing the game opening video at Allen Fieldhouse is like going to Disney World for the day and then skipping the parade to avoid traffic. The Baylor player's are the one's that missed out. They aren't all going to the NBA. They need to see what tradition is all about. Ever watch the opposing player's bench during the Video? 10 point advantage right off the bat baby! By the way, I pulled that stunt at Disney World with my kids and to this day don't know what I missed either.

jayhawkintexas 2 years, 3 months ago

Definitely a big boy game. Everyone is going to have to step up. Can't get behind like against ISU and expect to win. Jump on them early and we have a good chance to win.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

jb, those doggers are once again wavin' their red flags into yer windshield. Time to rev up the engine, pop the old clutch and send the lead car into the wall on Curve 1.

Steve Corder 2 years, 3 months ago

KU basketball is and will remain the class of the Big 12 no mater the outcome tonight. Baylor has superior talent this year (and is doing very nicely for 2012 recruiting) and should take the conference and this game, but playing the AllenFieldHouse can rattle the best of teams.

This game will answer a lot of questions about the eventual conference champion, but the NCAA tourney is where this team can be really dangerous. The man controlling the basketball (Taylor) is THE key to winning, especially in the tournament.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

At this stage of the league season, 15-3 sounds reasonable, from Jayhawk viewpoint. If Jayhawks should lose tonight, Baylor is on track for 15-2 or better, as their momentum will be difficult to break. I view this game as essential to our hopes for a share or outright title. Rarely will an AFH contest be so keenly observed and anticipated in a timeframe five minutes before tipoff! Mr. Drew pulls a similar pre-game shenanigan, and he will cost his squad dearly.... If I were running a book, I'd give the Jayhawks 55/45 odds. The roar of the fieldhouse and coaching brilliance should offer our 7-9 competitors a viable edge. Rock Chalk!

kupride4u 2 years, 3 months ago

Will Drew be pulling his team off the floor during starting lineups again?

Steve Gantz 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow, 5 guys averaging in double figures. One reason TRob is putting up the numbers he has is who else is there that can do what the 3 forwards for Baylor are doing. Don't get me wrong, TRob is having a great year and I hope he wins all the post season awards. In fact he can win the awards based on what he does against teams like Baylor.

On another note, this is kind of strange feeling. BU has a team coming in that is still undefeated, very highly ranked, should probably be the favorites. This must be what it feels like in Austin, Columbia, Lubbock, Ames, etc. when KU comes into town. It's going to be fun for sure.

This isn't Baylor's first team that is highly regarded. For some reason they have a history of fading down the stretch when the going gets tough. Maybe we can get the Bears started on their annual winter hibernation.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 3 months ago

So how hard would it be to keep Dickie V out of the fieldhouse??? I really don't want to hear him talking about how North Carolina is just misunderstood and how Duke is the greatest team in the whole wide world.

Robert Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

This is obviously a much more critical game for KU than it is for Baylor because the game is in AFH. I would like to think that if they win tonight, KU stands a good chance of going undefeated at home in conference play with MU being the biggest obstacle. I think 15-3 should win the conference.

always_a_jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I think it's amazing how, with time and patience and much suffering from NCAA sanctions, Scott Drew has taken Baylor from the ruins of the Dave Bliss/Patrick Dennehy scandal and built them up into a program to be proud of. We will have our hands full, for sure. We must bring our A-plus game today. The B or C game that we brought against Iowa State will result in us getting our heads handed to us.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

TROuBle is his name!

He will be TROuBle for Drew's Bears tonight!

He has a deed on the paint and will not allow any bear to encroach on his property!

Timmay97 2 years, 3 months ago

To me.....this is just another HUGE test for KU within the conference. A win would be great here to put their record to 5-0 in the conference.....but let's be realistic. Who has KU played on the road as of now in the conference? The toughest part of their conference schedule has yet to come: They still have to play:

@K-State @Baylor @Missouri @Texas @Iowa State

All of those games (even Texas) are "cause for concern" games. KU really got the easy part of the road schedule early in conference play.

To me, KU must win their home games to really have hope in winning the Big 12 this year. They can't afford to let one slip.

Lastly, though he's done an amazingly good job this year with staying out of foul trouble, is anyone else concerned about Thomas Robinson's fouls tonight against the big front line of Baylor?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

If Scotty and the Teddy Bears run and hide in the tunnel this time, I vote that Coach Self pulls a "Petteway" move on Drew.

Man up Drew. Put on some "Depends" and watch the da*n video. It won't kill you.

Or maybe it will.

Eybea Opiner 2 years, 3 months ago

Vitale calling the game? Pretty much ruins it.

Try this: Take a shot every time Dickie V. mentions Duke, UNC, Coach K, or Roy. You'll likely be drunk before half time.

MinnesotaJay 2 years, 3 months ago

BU coming in as dogs has got to be bulletin board material for them. Gonna take our A game tonight.

And, from the piece above regarding the 'video flap:'

Well, now he knows. So, enjoy the video, fellas.

Jeremy Paul 2 years, 3 months ago

Stop posting? Get out of town. What is TU anyway?

I really dislike Scott Drew. He's such a phony. He's up there with Calipari, Huggins, and Krzyzewski on the dislike list. Who else am I missing? And no, Quin Snyder is not on the list-- I loved that guy. Loved seeing his pretty hair and his crooked eyes and his look of absolute pain and agony as his teams got spanked. Loved seeing him cry and whine and wish he could go run into daddy's (or coach K's) arms.

HawksWin 2 years, 3 months ago

Mang, Sorry to tell u this, but ur posts r quite annoying. Can u get off Jaybate & add some value to readers instead? Otherwise kindly shut it. Thanks & good day.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

"Some Little Known Facts about Scott Drew"

~Favorite defense: zone.

~Favorite color: pink.

~Favorite play: lob.

~Favorite shot: cheap.

~Favorite different look: m2m

~Favorite tactic: whining to refs

~Favorite poet: Homer (Drew)

~Favorite recruiting ploy: You'll get to play KU.

~Favorite career aspiration: Replace Rick Barnes as the Latest Challenger Self out coaches.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Baylor does not have a strong bench. They have a strong pew.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Baylor Bears?

When was the last time a bear was found in Texas?

At the Alamo?

MimiHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Oh, yes, without a doubt, Head Coach Bill Self was chosen by THE PHOG, and brought to us at the perfect time. Trust THE PHOG. THE PHOG knows. And for the record, I'm pretty sure THE PHOG would like us to lose the Woo. 'Just sayin'.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk !

MimiHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes, THE PHOG knew, even when we didn't see. Roy had to go. THE PHOG knew Bill Self was the one. He was ready to take over as Head Coach at Kansas. THE PHOG brought him to us when the time was right.

We all could hear it in his introductory press conference:

"I can't tell you enough that I am thrilled to be the basketball coach at the              University of Kansas ... So I see this as a great opportunity to sit, in my opinion, the most prestigious chair in all of college basketball ... I think one of the first orders of business is to stay in contact and stay connected to the people that came before me, the players that came before these guys and make sure that THIS IS going to be a family."

MimiHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Jayhawk fans, whether alums, or fans by a choice of the heart, have no reason to "BEWARE OF "THE PHOG".  Rather, that caution was is reserved for those who have been, shall we say, weighed in the balance and found wanting.

I remember when Roy first left Kansas, and at the time I was mad.  He lied to us, saying he would stay until he retired, instead sneaking off without a word.  But that was before I realized that Roy didn't leave Kansas.  No, he was run out of town, run ALL the way back from whence he came, by THE PHOG.

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 3 months ago

This isn't "one of the most talented" BU teams, it is without question the best ever. If Self can beat them with the least talented KU team since he's been our coach, then I think you'll have to start talking about him as the top national COY candidate. Who could've imagined a top 10 ranking with Teahan and a Lamar transfer being key parts of the team?

HawkfromHays 2 years, 3 months ago

I hate to nit-pick here but I know Roy lost to Baylor once down there (2000-01?), and I think Bill has only lost once to them (B12 tourney). Either the overall record in the article is incorrect or Bill's record against them is incorrect. Which is it?

Mike Rotchurtz 2 years, 3 months ago

I've been waiting for this game for months. Not a Scott Drew fan and not a BU fan. Despite a pretty mediocre showing against Iowa State, I think KU is up to the challenge. Win this one and another Big-12 title gets a little easier.

Perry Jones, the pre-season conference player of the year, against T-Rob, the guy who is gonna win the award when it is really deserved -- after the season concludes.

2 hours of Dickie V telling us how AWESOME Perry Jones is... but it'll be worth it when we come away with the victory.