Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tyshawn Taylor on Twitter criticism from fans: ‘ … I’m going to leave it alone’

Kansas guard Travis Releford gets a chest bump from teammate Tyshawn Taylor during the second half Saturday, Jan. 7, 2012, at Lloyd Noble Center.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 72-61 victory over Oklahoma on Jan. 7, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Thomas Robinson and Travis Releford

KU players Thomas Robinson and Travis Releford talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 72-61 victory over Oklahoma on Jan. 7, 2012.

Download podcast

ESPN video

Highlights: KU vs. Oklahoma

— Kansas University senior guard Tyshawn Taylor entered into a brief war of words on Twitter with some of his most vocal critics Friday night.

Taylor basically told some KU fans who are unhappy with his play that he didn’t take kindly to criticism from those who do not play or coach college basketball.

He wrote: “If half (of the people) that talk about ball could actually ball ... I’d appreciate y’all comments and criticism more, but y’all can’t do stuck to being a fan.”

He also wrote: “Once again I repeat ... if you can go out there and lace ’em up ... I’ll accept the constructive criticism ... but since y’all cant well ... yeah.”

He removed the comments Friday night after speaking with coach Bill Self, who cell-phoned Taylor after being informed of the controversial Twitter bickering.

“A lot of people don’t like me as a player,” Taylor said after KU’s 72-61 victory over Oklahoma on Saturday in Noble Center. “Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. So am I. My response to the million people who hit me up ... I don’t respond to criticism from somebody who is not in my position. They don’t really know what it takes to be a point guard at this level. I appreciate the fan support. I love our fans. They are the best fans in the country.

“Some give it a bad name sometimes. A lot of people are really opinionated. Twitter is to voice opinions. That’s what I did. I didn’t try to disrespect anybody like people do me. I didn’t use any language. I felt I handled it pretty well. I can handle it better by not responding, but that’s tough to do sometimes,” he added, laughing.

Self said he wouldn’t remove Taylor’s Twitter privileges.

“I’m not going to cut it off. He has to learn to deal with some stuff,” Self said. “Next time, if there is any issue at all, it will be cut off. If he had said anything negative about the program (or used derogatory language), I would cut it off.”

Self said Taylor must understand, “You can’t be thin-skinned to play quarterback at Notre Dame or point guard at Kansas.

“It is frustrating. For him to be a senior ... for him to start four years and hasn’t learned that Kansas basketball ... everything you do is magnified. That’s the thing that is frustrating.”

Self gave Taylor a piece of advice on the phone Friday night.

“I said, ‘When are you going to learn that the only way you want people to talk good about you is let your play do your talking?” Self said. “The more you talk, the more you act like a little spoiled brat. It bothers me that in today’s times — (when) we live in a social media world — that he is so concerned what people are saying all the time.

“He is probably the most criticized player we’ve had since we’ve been here. Still, he brings a lot of that on himself. The more he does things like this, the more people are going to do it,” Self added of people trying to get under his skin. “I said, ‘You’ve got to let your play do your talking.’”

Taylor said he’s going to stop sparring with KU fans on Twitter.

“It all got taken down,” he said. “I feel being in my position it can get blown out of proportion. I don’t think it had to (be taken down), honestly, just for the sake of staying out of trouble. I don’t want to get in trouble over something so dumb, responding. I’m going to leave it alone. We’re playing well. I’m happy with our team, the way things are going.”

Comments

hawksterkc 2 years, 3 months ago

At the start of this season, I did not know what to expect of this team my biggest concern was Whithey and he has far exceeded my expectations and seems to improve as the season matures. My next concern with all Kansas teams year after year as been the deer in the headlights situation where no one wants to take the shot, even with Sheron and Mario there were times when it seemed they were nervous to take a shot but in the end they took those shots. This year I am very pleased with this team, they are getting better and learning from mistakes. The Davidson loss opened their eyes defensively and opened up their offense with defense. I am very pleased with where the team is and excited about another run for a big 12 championship with competition that will make it a great accomplishment if they win it again. Especially from Baylor and K-State. I will not diss on Misery but they have to be able to win on the road and it does not look promising for them early on. As far as Tyshawn, he is a Jayhawk, enough said!!!

Lance Hobson 2 years, 3 months ago

Fans need to get off TT's back, that's not the kind of support KU fans are known for. As for TT, this is a trend item for him and the road rage analogy is a good one. He needs to ignore the few who criticize him and get motivation from the thousands who love him as a KU bball player.

manginorh00lz 2 years, 3 months ago

I really wish Taylor would have transferred. He is poison.

theend 2 years, 3 months ago

The reason TT receives so much criticism is because he has not really improved from his freshman year,he makes lots of dumb turnovers and has maturity problems.

Still.....he's a pretty good player and I'm glad we have him.

I think he will have equal number of bad and good plays.

That's just the way it is.

mikehawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn, I hope you never see this, because if you do read it, you are doing exactly what you shouldn't be doing, which is reading blogs and tweets. Shut it off for the season. The only voices you want to hear in your head are your coaches and teammates. Blogs and tweet wars will make you crazy. Leave the bloggin and tweeting to butt's like us who don't have lives and can't play that game the way you can. Always remember that the word fan evolved from the word fanatic. We are crazy. Don't let our craziness get in your head. Go out and play, have fun, and enjoy your senior year.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 3 months ago

Part of the education Tyshawn is receiving is from the fans--we're all critics, like it or not. If he makes it to the NBA, he will look foolish picking fights with critical reporters who also can't "ball." Maybe he will learn a lesson that retorting to critics will only get him in deeper.

Tyshawn, you are a tremendously gifted athlete who has a chance to attain your dreams at the next level. You are also human, meaning you will make mistakes just like the rest of us who like to "throw the first stone." Don't get dragged into petty fights with people who quite frankly don't matter. Let your play do the talking.

Also, I can't wait to hear your senior day speech.

tom123kufan 2 years, 3 months ago

I look at social media a lot like road rage. A person driving down the road, confined in his or her car feels a sense of protection or safety. Then they are more likely to lash out at others with this sense of safety. The social media gives these types of people an avenue to lash out at others with zero consequences. It's not fair, but it is the world we are living in right now. Do you think the same person would walk up to any KU player let alone any person on the street and criticize them? I think not, but they are given an avenue to do this over the internet. We all need to recognize that these are kids you are attacking. These are brothers, sisters and grand kids. Don't you think they want to be perfect. They are young and they make mistakes. That's what makes college basketball so great! Let's think before we post. Let's use our heads people.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn, never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

You're right about not listening to critics who don't play or coach. They're the same ones trying to oust Bill Self for not landing one-and-done recruits (despite his other accolades such as winning a National Championship and also winning 84% of his games at KU). Nothing you do will ever make them happy. But they aren't based in reality anyway so ignore them at all costs.

jayhawk1866 2 years, 3 months ago

Living your dream as a point guard for Kansas, should not be stressful. Finding yourself in a firefight in Afghanistan is stressful.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, I am an old 50+ codger who wouldn't know a tweet from a pumpkin. I would like to imagine that almost anyone from neighboring competitor states could assume the role of a diehard Jayhawk fan who chose to spend his evening hours stirring up psychological mayhem by chastising our individual players on Twitter. Heck, I sometimes tend to get bent out of shape when morons can't seem to digest my points of view, or are quick to leap astride my wording here on LJW posts. Perhaps my years enable me to see humor in such natural sabre rattling, and I can cruise right on to the next post with determined ensuciance (how's that for a bastardization of spelling and syntax?). My windy but essential point, for Tyshawn: Expect to encounter non-playing or otherwise idle commentators who are caught up in the nuances of your sport. From what I read on LJW posts, most true Jayhawk fans don't generally mean you harm, even though they (we) tend often to reference your turnovers and social malpropisms.. If Twitter crapola is vicious or inflammatory, avoid it. Be like that calm wise doc who responds to the old fella who says it hurts when he raises his arm over his head. "Just don't do it." Son, you've got a degree to complete and a remaining season of basketball to lead your squad to championship glory. Family and dedicated Jayhawk fans are basing wintertime pleasure out of enjoyment of your fantastic talent and the bi-weekly wins enroute to the culminating Madness of March. Not to mention your dreams for post-Jayhawk professional opportunity, the basis of which will hinge not only on your play but also the dependability of your steady disposition. For these next 3 months, stick your nose in the books, live in the practice courts, and avoid the pitfalls of testy social interactions. Simplify your preoccupations and focus on the things which will affect your future significantly. Promise yourself that for approximately 90 days you will abandon the ricochet rabbit inclinations and stay on a straight and narrow track to zoom straight through the tunnel to the splendors of daylight. Otherwise, this continuing penny-ante bullhockey that engulfs your personna is going to smother your opportunity for a career in the sport you love. The very best of your throngs of Jayhawk fans and supporters wish for you the very best...and hope to share in your successes this last semester of your tenure at KU. Please, please, leave a legacy of final memories which all of us can share and brag about for future decades. The future is now!

phogphan2000 2 years, 3 months ago

Who knows who the people tweeting about him even are? Can't let it be a distraction. I don't post on here hoping a player reads it, I post to converse with other KU fans on how the team is doing. I mean I keep in mind they might read it, and if it's something like an award article you hope they read all the congratulations, but TT I'm sure gets all the constructive criticism he needs from HCBS and staff. Can't worry about fan critiques, or if he does he should ask Self if a criticism is worth his concern.

Norm Jennings 2 years, 3 months ago

Hope everyone one who knows TT is telling him to ignore the haters...

Does his game make me crazy sometimes? Sure.

Fortunately Coach Self, and real Jayhawk roundball fans, are also crazy for his intensity, his toughness, and his leadership.

I'm sick of the "Good Tyshawn, " "Bad Tyshawn" crap. TT is just recognizing where his skills are, and more importantly, are not. He is never going to be Kirk Hinrich, Ryan Robertson, Adonis Jordan, Jacque Vaughn, Aaron Miles, Sherron Collins, or any other previously-loved Jayhawk point guard. And if he tried--he'd be LESS effective, not more.

HCBS gets it, and its time the fanbase starts to get it too.

Thanks for hanging in there Tyshawn, you also have a lot fans in the Jayhawk nation.

AsadZ 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn can score at will and is fast as lightning

Agree with you on that he is fast but he can't score at will.

Almost every fan is happy that he is a jayhawk however I wish he would handle off court issues in a wise manner knowing that he is representing a great university and he is supposed to be a senior leader.

Shaun Battles 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn is unconventional and if anything, he's not a prototypical point guard.

Don't bag on him for that.

At one end of the scale you have him, on the other you have a Jacque Vaughn.

Tyshawn can score at will and is fast as lightning. Sure he turns it over a bit more, but I'm happy to have him as a member of the Jayhawk family.

Self will have this team firing at the end of the season, so just sit tight and enjoy.

AsadZ 2 years, 3 months ago

Below comments from HCBS:

During a discussion before the Oklahoma game, Self reiterated to Taylor that he must learn to dismiss criticism and mature.

“It does bother me,’’ Self added, “that for him to be a senior who’s started for four years, and hasn’t learned that with Kansas basketball, everything you do is magnified. That’s what’s frustrating.’’

LngTimeFan 2 years, 3 months ago

TT really misses what a privilege it is to attend the University of Kansas, yet alone to play basketball at KU. He is so very lucky to get to play a game in Allen Fieldhouse and get all the attendant adulation that comes with that privilege. TT is not KU basketball, all of us are, both living and dead, current students and faculty, former students, current and former players, coaches, cheerleaders, you name it, those of us who send money to KU, those of us who were lucky to be able to send children to KU, everyone who buys KU shirts/decals/license plate frames/etc., etc. I find his attitude toward all of the Jayhawk community to be very offensive, as if TT somehow is more a part of the KU tradition than anyone else simply because he dribbles the ball on the floor. We all have high hopes for KU in every regard, and with that comes the highest of expectations both on and off the court or field. We opine on these boards because we care very deeply for and about KU, and that includes the game of basketball. TT, you are a senior. What have you learned while at KU? Assume any criticism is because someone doesn't like you?? Are you serious?? You are a very good basketball player, who attends KU, and you could be a great player if you chose to be. Your legacy may well be "he was good, but he turned the ball over way too much." Your choice of course, but please don't blame those of us who care deeply about KU and call us haters of TT. Stop the childishness, you are a Senior in college, at the greatest University!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

I like TT as our point guard. He penetrates the D 99 out of 100 times and he either gets the points or gets an opportunity at the FT line. Kinda have to live with the TO's, as long as they are not unforced.

In regard to playing BB at KU---everybody is under the microscope, and then some. When I coached at our town's Middle School for 10 years, I had always said, "congrats," to those student-athletes who made the 12-member team. But I added, "you will be the most scrutinized group in the school. You will be watched for what you do off the court, as well as, what you do on the court." TT knows that. I have got to think that HCBS continues to shake his head regarding TT's twitter account. The bottom line: if TT can have the same game-face that Travis Releford had yesterday at OU---we'll be just fine! RCJH everybody!

Ryan Michael 2 years, 3 months ago

It's not a season if TT isn't suspended at least once, and in trouble on a social networking site at least once...

The kid just never learns.

longtimehawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Taylor is a pretty good player but, his isn't a point guard. He more of a 2 rather then a 1. The rest of KU's guards are not that good, and that is were Self's recruiting has fallen down bad and with Tharpe it has gotten much worse. Has this kid scored any points at all in a game? Very few total, if any. Self needs to recruit.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

...so it continues... 1) KU fans who believe players are "in the position, so face the music" (critique). My point is the very fact someone posts scathing words (about basketball or personal character) simply says something about the poster and his/her personality. Many even try to rationalize...
2) KU fans who tend to support team and players, who certainly feel 'stung' by any loss, and voice disappointment, but never target a specific player. 3) Certain posters who get nasty, either extremely bitter "ku" fans, or non-ku troll "hecklers"--Tyshawn needs to consider some enemy fans may be trying to get under KU player's skin&that may directly impact KU play...big possibility!

I 100% support Tyshawn/every KU player for 1 reason: If they play well, WE do well--we win! If they play well enough to fulfill pro-player ambition, then great!

Look, I was guilty of writing some crap about Brady during his 3pt slump, and Reed for his VCU misfires, and simply wish I never said the (relatively) mild critiques that I did.

After reading that "Untold stories/Phog" book, where it is basically 100% player quotes, unfiltered, I came to a new level of appreciation for what these guys go thru. After the really rough things Roy/Self put these kids thru, personal critique from me seems(to me) like "piling on". Read comments by Chalmers, Jackson, CJ Gile, JRGiddens, RussRob (who pulled his shirt off in practice & tried to physically fight Self), Sherron, Shady (who had trouble coming back to KU because he felt he let KU down with NBA rookie hotel incident, just by being there), Simien, Rush, Axtell, etc

Ya, ya free country & public forum, so peck away and spill your guts here over 8 or 11 turnovers in some game (like it really matters in the scheme of life, job, family in fan's personal lives?). But realize the double-edged sword that you also open yourself up for judgement/critique of your own words.

Keith Langford revealed his mom really got involved with the msg boards, often printing out the negative comments and trying to motivate him with it. Keith often saw her posting comments herself, trying to d-e-f-e-n-d her son!!! Keith was never 100% his senior year. Sherron was not 100% his senior year. Selby was absolutely not 100%. Chenoweth's junior year, Roy changed the bigman roles due to the superb frosh who came in (Chenoweth's role+mpg went down, hence his production). How about all the crap Withey caught last year? And on, and on, and on. My opinion: this anti-player stuff is crap(!),needs to stop(!!), but go ahead, exercise your 1st Amend. rights at the expense of the feelings of these 18-22yr olds Self/Roy tried so hard to get to come to KU. Go ahead and make them feel welcome?
This whole issue is on all you jacka$$es out there that post the way you do against our players. Keep up your cl-ass-y moves.

William Blake 2 years, 3 months ago

"“A lot of people don’t like me as a player,” Taylor said..."

...and a lot of people like you as a player!

You (TT) decide where you put your focus. Everyone who receives any amount of public attention has their haters. Ghandi (for example) had more haters than the entire size of the KU fan base (x1000). Still... he stayed focus on who he was and what he stood for.

Stay focused on good things, TT, and let misery stay with misery. You deserve better for yourself... so accept all the good in your life!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

It's not Tyshawn that sucks, it's Twitter!!!

LeadTrader 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn: You're one of a handful of players out there who won a state title and a national high school title your senior year with your team. You had great high school coach and now a Great College Coach. Practice Hard, Play Hard and focus on helping KU and yourself get the Title in April. Ignore everything else. The 4 years at KU will be the best years of your life even if you do go on and become an NBA player. Most success in life requires discipline. All you can do right now is focus day in day out on school and basketball. Make the most of your talent cause after college life tends to move pretty fast. You're at a Great Place with a Great coaching staff. Let your play speak for yourself.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn - haters gonna hate. They can't ball don't listen to that malarkey. Keep cleaning it up, these turns aren't gonna continue, just keep focused, keep driving strong and making *smart passes.

I ball, it's hard. When you drive like Tyshawn turnovers are going to happen. Yes, Tyshawn has had a few silly unforced turns but they are coming at the expense of the other team. Meaning that you take some of that when Tyshawn can expose their help D, because nobody is looking like they can stop him from getting to the lane. Remember Sherron, he was similiar at his best but the other teams reacted well and were starting to swat his stuff consistently. Tyshawn isn't getting swatted, he's taking it strong and forceful but avoiding charges and hitting the post man when they leave theirs to help. . . take the attitude that he has while driving and apply it to his full game (D, point, bounds, transition) and he's one of the best in the country.

Keep it up Tyshawn. Don't listen to idiot 50 year old men and women that only see the game from TV, haven't played for 30 years (or ever) and expect perfection all the time. They don't know $tuff. Keep it up, take care of the ball and drive strong cause nobody can stop the iso!

KansasComet 2 years, 3 months ago

I like Tyshawn Taylor. He is a major college basketball talent. I look forward to watching him play basketball for KU. It will be a special Senior Night when he plays in Allen Field House for the last time. Thank you Tyshawn for coming all the way from New Jersey to spend 4 years in Kansas playing basketball and good luck to you the rest of the way.

hawkfan30 2 years, 3 months ago

Here's what I don't understand...why would any KU fan do anything to help a player lose focus or look bad in the public eye? Knowing what we know about TT from past experience why would you as a fan tweet him negative things especially after he had a positive game. Why not encourage our PG and team?

I also get frustrated with the way some "fans" only focus on the negative aspects of players. No one mentions the assists Ty is dishing out or the fact that his ability to drive was a HUGE part of our win over KSU. Martin even said it in his post game Taylor got to the lane anytime he wanted to. That was part of the game plan "drive pressure" and yes he had 8 TOs but part of that is the way he was aggressive and drove and KSU has a very aggressive defense and is good with their hands and some were mental lapses on TT's part which he himself has admitted to.

TT played a very solid game against OU 6 dimes and 2 TO's one on a miscommunication. He's acknowledged where he has fallen short and is working on reducing his TO's. I think it's time ALL KU fans get behind our senior leader.

AsadZ 2 years, 3 months ago

I have not seen any Twitter posts nor I plan to do it. But when you are a D1 player especially at KANSAS you will get both positive and negative comments from fans, as evident from this board. Even professional players similar comments.

I am a supporter of TT. I like his toughness. My respect for him grew immensely after learning that he played through serious injury and never complained. I admire his abilities, and I am very happy that he is a jayhawk.

But, Come On TT. Why do you keep getting your foot in your mouth. Why do you keep getting in trouble. This is your senior year. You are supposed to lead by example. Of course fans will criticize your careless plays, they also admire your excellent plays.

Its ridicolous for you to make a comment that fans dont play at D1 level so they cant criticize your bad plays. Even a hall of fame coach like Bill Knight has critized your play. Most TV analysts have mentioned something to this effect. Heck even your own coach has done it. Didnt he recently say something like, at times TT make plays that you wonder if he is ever coached?

I wish you all the best but please as your coach said, let your play do the talking and not post stupidity on Twitter.

gmac 2 years, 3 months ago

Look at it from this prospective, think about all the positive feedback he gets? It starts with Latenight where all the fans treat all the players like a GOD. All the adulation he gets every time he comes out of the tunnel. Thousands and thousands of fans cheering him. Not once but every time he steps out on the court. When he walks around campous mostly if not all positive feedback. During games mostly positive feedback, every game, he has played in what 125 games? In the Midwest there is very little critism dished out to him, what if he played closer to home on the eastcoast? For a senior he should have progressed better and not be turning the ball over so much. He needs to learn to deal with it better. But also appreciate what opportunities he has and grow up and accept the critism. He plays at Kansas, with that there are responsibilities. Along with getting treated like a god, you have to perform. And there will always be crackpots that take shots. Deal with it. If he did play somewhere else, just say Rudgers (closer to home) he would get about 2% of the admiration he gets at Kansas and twice the critism. Hey I don't think we should overly critize him, he has a personality that needs to stroked But it's part of the territory. Or play for Rudgers or Marquette. Do you're talking on the court, be a leader, take care of the ball, make your shots and most importantly keep your mouth shut with KU football players, Facebook, Twitter, etc ..... Appreciate what you have and understand what KU basketball provides to you.

panalytic 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm surprised he is getting so much criticism form KU fans. I think he is a great player and has been good for a long time. I love his competitiveness. If his knee injury was serious, where would we be without Tyshawn? I'm going to enjoy being a fan for his senior season and have fun watching him play.

Dirk Andrews 2 years, 3 months ago

99 problems...keep doing your thing TT

Ron Franklin 2 years, 3 months ago

Go Tyshawn, go Tyshawn, Go.

My opinion is that Tyshawn gets so much verbal abuse, not because of his Turnovers, but due to his character. I've had the chance to visit with him regularly over the last four years. And just as Keegan says, he is fun-loving, kind, and an easy person to talk to.

Personally, I like the guy, but he reminds me of a high-school friend who I had that was a genius and incredibly gifted, but he would never show up to class. I thought, “geesh, this is the smartest idiot that I have ever met.”

But from a student-athlete/role model standpoint, Tyshawn does not learn from his mistakes. Not on the court, and especially not off of the court, and that’s why he is constantly criticized.

How many games has he been suspended in his career for off-the-court behavior mishaps?

Every year since his sophomore year, right?

How many times have we heard of him using social media to vent?

Remember when he vented on Facebook that he wanted to transfer?

Remember when he fought the KU football team?

Remember when he got caught sexing-it-up in the gymnasium and got suspended last year?

Remember when he did something over the summer to get suspended the first two games of this year?

Unfortunately, from a human nature standpoint, I believe he has made it to the end of the leash with most fans. I won’t criticize his on court play anymore, but I do still hold him to the utmost from a public figure standpoint. Young impressionable kids are watching him. Not only that, but Kansas University is a Class Act, and he needs to strive to achieve that representation at every moment.

Over the last four years, Tyshawn has brought a lot of disgrace to the University, while at the same time bringing an incredible amount of excitement to the fans on the court. I guess you could call it a love hate relationship.

All of this being said, when I get really down on Tyshawn I think of a couple of things:

First, I recall an article written in the Kansas City Star where Tyshawn was quoted as saying:

“I’m actually a nice guy,” Taylor said, “but maybe I don’t come off that way. I don’t know if people read my Facebook or my Twitter and just think I’m an idiot or not a nice person, but I just don’t think that’s the case. That’s not the image I’m going for. I’m not going for the bad guy image, I’m just being me. That’s really it. I only know how to be me.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/05/3250219/kus-tyshawn-taylor-heads-into.html#storylink=cpy

That leads me to my favorite quote of all time by Bob Dylan:

“All I can do is be me, whoever that is.”

The second thing I think about when I get down on Tyshawn is this:

As a young adult, I struggled through a lot of “character issues” that I frankly am not proud of, and I’m very thankful that I didn’t live my mistakes under a public microscope.

gwenthejayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

It's time to let let up on TT. We don't have anyone better and we need him to play as good as he can. Without Taylor we for sure don't go deep into the tournament, and with Taylor, there is a chance he'll do something that will keep us from going deep. Bottom line: Save your breath; he's 22. All ya'll must perform perfectly at your jobs! How bout you try a little dose of encouragement for once...

Kye Clark 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't use twitter because I think it's dumb, but I am curious as to how bad it gets on there for him. I'm guessing pretty bad if he's saying "I didn’t try to disrespect anybody like people do me. I didn’t use any language," (which led me to the assumption other people are using foul language). If so that's too bad.

That being said, as a general statement I think his comments are ridiculous. Not many people know what it's like to "ball" or "be a point guard at this level." That's true. But do you need to be in his shoes to know 11 turnovers is too many? Or 8 as happened against K-State? And on the flip side, if people who don't know what it's like aren't supposed to have criticisms, how about praise? If basically what he's saying is we don't know so our opinions don't matter, should all praise stop as well? No, the vast majority of basketball fans do not know what it is like to be the point guard at Kansas. We do not have the talent. But fans in general are knowledgable enough to recognize good play and bad play. If they weren't, then praise & applause wouldn't mean anything.

Again, it is regrettable if the twitter criticisms crossed the line. I just hope he understands that criticism comes with the territory. I would also hope that people on here would not lump the negative analysis of his game in with whatever it was got him so upset. It always makes me laugh seeing posters who don't like seeing any criticism of players play the "so-called 'fans' " card, basically saying if you have anything negative to say about a player's game that you aren't a true fan. If that's your position, I would suggest starting and running your own website. There you can monitor comments, delete any that are negative along with the poster, and build yourself a a little community of people holding hands singing kumbaya every game regardless of performance.

jahawkdave 2 years, 3 months ago

TT is a good player (pg) TT makes some great plays and some horrendous plays and decisions. KU relies on TT and need him but he could be great and This years team could be a much better team if he cut down on mistakes and became an elite player. He does make elite plays and making elite plays will cause you to make mistakes. It's the standard plays he makes mistakes on the lazy passes and trying to make spectacular play when a basic one will do, is what most fans are frustrated about. We should have beat Duke and TT made plays to put us in position to give Duke its first Maui lost, but he also made the turnovers that cost KU the game.

Everyone knows TT could easily be an elite pg in the nation, and that he continues to make the same mistakes as a senior it's hard to watch. KU fans just want to see its players reach their potential and help the team reach its potential and go deep in March.

Elite programs expect elite players and TT is that except the 6+ plays a game he makes a freshman mistake.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Aw heck, what would we do with our idle Jayhawk moments if we didn't receive continuing fine chapters in the Saga of Tyshawn delivered to our Sunday morning computers? His life is a book compiled of ceaseless mercurial episodes. As an epilogue, he is likely to go down as a substantial contributor to 4 consecutive Big 12 Championship teams, among the rarest of the rare ever to don a Jayhawk singlet.

winnhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Good article. It is too bad so many really good players and good guys who play for us have to go through the type of solphmorish derision that is on message boards, etc. You never even know where or who it is from. I hope Taylor will help all the young playesrs how not to respond.

IrishCharlie 2 years, 3 months ago

So, it's OK according to MR BS to dump on TTm but not on the ku program, free speech?

Jaminrawk 2 years, 3 months ago

My issue is the people that actually address the athletes by their twitter handles in the negative posts. You are basically begging them for a reaction. Most athletes handle it correctly and block the person or ignore the post, but these are young men we're talking about and very few of them have the patience to be criticized diectly from some anonymous source. It's like the people who attacked Gehrig Dieter after he picked SMU. Ridiculous. SOme nonymous 30+ year old guy is going to get on the computer and try to engage some 18-year old in a war of words? That's sad.

kugrampy 2 years, 3 months ago

Triple T has spoken, now let the UNFORCED turnovers cease!

jhox 2 years, 3 months ago

The bottom line with Tyshawn is that the good outweighs the bad (by a pretty large margin) but the bad can look really ugly sometimes. He still makes freshman type mistakes, and that frustrates fans who have typically seen upperclassmen at KU improve on silly mistakes they made when they were younger..

Still, I think the vast majority of us are glad he's on our team and not playing against us. One thing about Tyshawn is that you can never question the effort. Nobody plays harder and we need to accept the bad that goes along with the good.

FairgroveJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

p>KUsport.com - In an effort to improve accountability, can you leave the name of the poster visible when a comment is removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement. I'd like to know who to completely disregard in the future.

Rock Chalk Tyshawn! Keep up that hard work!

Steve Yeakel 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn - the turnovers and maturity are the only things that might hold you back from the NBA. So focus on correcting the problems instead of what people say about the problems. You should be mostly proud and thankful - you came out of nowhere and with Coach Self's help and great teammates and mostly great fan support have turned yourself into a possible NBA player. So keep working hard on the national stage this year to get there. Finish growing up on the court and off it in front of our eyes. Almost all of us are pulling for you, big time.

ccarp 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn, no worries bro! Stay cool and focused. Keep playing composed, with intensity, and attention. My new years resolution is to be less judgmental of myself and others. Forgive and forget. Let the little stuff go. It's just noise interfering with your goals. You're right, you're playing and they are not. So it really isn't much of a conversation. Also, some of those so called fans may actually have antlers. Leave the twitter alone and keeping dishing the rock and driving the lane all the way to championships! Rock Chalk!

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 3 months ago

Let TT play! Let Coach Self and his staff deal with him! They know how to best handle him! Just remember, TT has started for four years and that in itself speaks for his talents. Otherwise, he would be ball'n elsewhere. While we can't control the jerks who blog in this space, Jayhawk fans can support TT and all of the team in meeting its goals in this challenging season!

Jim Roth 2 years, 3 months ago

“He is probably the most criticized player we’ve had since we’ve been here."

More than Brady last year???

Vittorio1224 2 years, 3 months ago

Alohahawk: Great point!

If Tyshawn were at Misery, I could understand him bickering with the fans, but he's not. He's at an ELITE-level college basketball programme, and that means you lace 'em up and let your PLAY do the talking. In any industry, at any age, you must learn to handle criticism -- both constructive, and destructive.

Tyshawn needs to learn that the reason fans are criticizing him so much, is that he has so much potential and that he is the engine that can make us be either a Ferrari or a Pinto. Which will it be Tyshawn?

The vast majority of TRUE KU fans are behind TT, and firmly in his corner. For decades the love affair between KU alums/students and its graduating seniors is well-known. Make us proud Ty, and let's Rock Chalk to another Big 12 title!

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Coach Self that it serves no purpose, except perhaps to salve one's own ego, to respond to criticism. And especially, anonymous criticism.

Few KU students will receive more public attention, good or bad, than a basketball player at KU. Unfortunately, once a Jayhawk dons the uniform they must remember, that along with the accolades, one must also accept the opposite: The negative comments and public outcry of failed performances. Few athletes make it through a season without some bad press, because every athlete has their ups and downs, their good and their bad days.

Criticism? It's something each and every professional athlete must put up with if they are to continue in the sport of their choice and survive the negativity brought against them. Look at what happened when LeBron James chose to depart Cleveland. Quite a few of his loyal following suddenly turned vicious in their comments when he left.

I can understand and sympathize with how Tyshawn Taylor must feel, having given so much time and energy to the program. But he has also received praise on numerous occasions from HCBS, his teammates, numerous fans, written commentary and orally on public airwaves.

Taylor's dis-satisfaction stems, I'm sure, from the fact that those doing the criticizing have been anonymous. Most top athletes are on national display from the moment they commit to a program. Websites, such as ESPN, Rivals, Scout, Sports Illustrated, Etc., are all read judiciously by sports fanatics pretty much everyday. The sports writers and commentators, none of which are anonymous, can be both effusive with their praise, or brutally honest with less praiseworthy actions and performances. An athlete must develop thick skin to absorb the bad and move forward.

I'm sure that every member of the Jayhawk Nation hopes to see Tyshawn Taylor succeed. That he will, someday play in the NBA. If that happens, he should expect to see just as much, if not more, praise and critism come his way. Hang in there, Tyshawn. Wishing you well from the islands.

fansincewilt 2 years, 3 months ago

When you have a guy like Sherron Collins running the point, you do not have as much pressure. When Collins left, there was Reed to add the stability to the team. All that is gone and now much if not most of the pressure rests on the shoulders of Taylor. Whithey, Johnson and Releford were not contributing as much. Now, with Releford stepping up and taking part of that responsibility, it will go easier on Taylor. For the most part, the only person on the court making things happen was Taylor. Robinson is Robinson but he is not the one to create. That falls on Taylor's shoulders. Without his play, this team is not going anywhere. As the players get better, you will begin to see a different Taylor. It appears that Johnson is beginning to assert himself. Travis Releford's play is greatly improving. Self has to be patient for all to begin to click. That five is probably the best five in the Big 12. Fans need to be patient as well. If people are still not seeing the changes, they are not paying attention.

machinegun 2 years, 3 months ago

Stat Guy has to remind you about turnovers win or lose. Angry Football Guy has to vent about something until next season. No need to listen to them. No need to respond to them.

jhasseartcile96 2 years, 3 months ago

Not every player at KU is a God, some actually suck at basketball, Tyshawn has regressed each year. He is a senior averging 4.1 TO a game. Al McGuire once said the best thing about freshman is they become sophmores, unless you are Taylor, then the best thing about a senior is he won't be here next year. And for those blasting his play...good, they are not getting a free education either and are spening money based on his should be results to pay for that education so fire away and learn to deal with it. One of the reasons Tyshawn has gotten worse after his frosh year is because he went home, listned to people telling him he should go to the NBA and it went to his head. Tell him what he wants to hear and he is OK with 4.1 TO a game.

KULA 2 years, 3 months ago

KU has some of the best fans in the world and some of the worst. Just ask Tyshawn, Jeff W, Sherron, the freshman Morrises, David Padgett, Eric C... Lotta A-holes out there.

ParisHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

In previous years, when I saw Taylor drive I got a little uneasy. That feeling has gone away this year. He is clearly better when we really need him to be.

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn is a good kid and a great player. For whatever reason, he has mental lapses. Could be worse for a 21 year old. Rock Chalk.

kesmithstl1 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn has a point. I've been critical of players before myself (although not Taylor). I blasted Withey earlier this season, but what the hell do I know about being a 7 foot tall center at Kansas. I'm a 6'3 overweight YMCA sharpshooter with no handles, and cannot hit a jumper if you put a hand in my face.

These athletes are under immense pressure every day (from parents, friends, coaches, media, fans, etc...). Yes we all have jobs which create pressure on us too, but the difference is, when we make a mistake, we aren't criticized by every armchair accountant, teacher, etc... on message boards, and social media.

I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why does everyone take it so personal when someone has a different point of view? Unless they're an MU grad, most everyone has some validity to their point (and even MU grads....nope, can't do it).

That's my 3 paragraph rambling for the season. Rock Chalk!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

gchawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn, you have to know that there are a lot of jerks out there who derive a certain amount of pleasure by anonymously posting negative remarks about you and any high profile people. Most are cowards who could never back up their remarks, but a lot of them are actually from enemy camps who want to cause as much dissension as possible with our team. The true fans love and admire you and the rest of the team. Take that tweeter crap with a grain of salt.

Nick Cole 2 years, 3 months ago

I love twitter, and usually have it up on my comp when I'm on. I use it for news and to get insight into the player's personal lives. I think it helps fans connect to the people they enjoy watching on TV.

That said, I was on last night when all this was going down. I couldn't believe it was happening. I actually tweeted at Tyshawn to put his phone down and stop responding to all of this.

I understand why fans criticize him. He had 8 TO's against KSU. 11 against Duke. He passes the ball into the stands. He dribbles the ball off his foot at least once every game. These are mistakes freshman make. It's frustrating that a 4 year starter at KU is making these stupid mistakes. However, he has been true to Kansas and we would't be ranked in top 25 w/o him starting for our team this season. The mistakes he makes are correctable, and he has show that he has the ability to not make them. Here's to hoping he plays better in conference and shuts up the fans on twitter (and on here) who are doubting him.

Rock Chalk Tyshawn. #keepimproving

WhoSaidThat 2 years, 3 months ago

Taylor is one of the best PG's in the game! He can hit clutch free throws and last second drives. He gives our offense life! Without Taylor we cannot dribble penetrate as much as we need it to against well coached teams.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

jh, are you one of the tweeters who helped stir this recent cauldron?

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 3 months ago

I love Self's take on the whole thing. As dumb as some fans can be, you can't be a public figure (like Tyshawn) and not expect people to criticize you. The worst thing you can do is respond to crap like that. It just adds more fuel to the fire. I say, if these guys are going to have twitter, there's gotta be a rule that they can't respond to stuff. Tyshawn comes off looking really childish in all this.

(And there I go, criticizing Tyshawn.)

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 3 months ago

Taylor shows he is still not a leader. He allowed himself to get into a Twitter argument. As I recall he lost his Facebook privileges years ago and now this? You are a public figure who will get criticized and you need to be smarter than that.

I am aware Twitter is stupid to begin with and yes we have some foolish fans, which is unfortunate, but Taylor needs to be smarter than allow himself to get into these situations. You will get criticized when you are in the public eye as an athlete. I wish when Taylor was getting lots of turnovers he would lose playing time so that he knows he needs to improve, but maybe Self knows that Taylor is not going to get any better. Taylor is a pure athlete who is a great driver, with a propensity for turnovers and a below average shot in addition to be a bit immature.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 3 months ago

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 3 months ago

God I hate twitter. Any moron can make an anonymous profile, claim they're a fan of a school, then attack any player or coach they choose. Of course the egos of college athletes can't differentiate obvious non-KU fans from the real ones and then think everyone hates them when a few people mock or tease them.

I like Taylor, but if he has any common sense he'll just ignore any negative responses people post on his site. Most of the time it's probably KSU/MU fans trying to rile him up. I wouldn't be surprised if reporters tried doing the same to create some news.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 3 months ago

It isn't possible to be a public figure and not be a target in the social media. As we all know, many folks relish getting a reaction. Trolls thrive on negativity. Trust your family, friends, and mentors. Always say thank you to a compliment. Entertain criticism from trusted sources. Arguments rarely change minds or opinions.

MrPilot 2 years, 3 months ago

People need to let Coach Self coach this team and keep their negative comments to themselves. It hurts me to see so-called "fans" here and elsewhere continually berate a player on our team to the point that something like this happens. We're better than that.

Talking about the game with co-workers around the water cooler the day after is one thing, but directly criticizing a player on Twitter (which is what I assume happened here) is wrong. And if you are one that does that, you have no right to call yourself a Jayhawk fan.

Don't let them get you down, Tyshawn. Keep working hard. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!