Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Frank Martin: Game was ‘men’ vs. ‘kids’

Kansas State head coach Frank Martin gives a hug and encouraging words to Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor after the Jayhawks' 59-53 win on Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 59-53 victory over Kansas State on Feb. 13, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KSU coach Frank Martin

Kansas State coach Frank Martin talks to reporters following the Wildcats' 59-53 loss to Kansas on Feb. 13, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Kansas State

Box score

— After his team took a one-point lead in the second half, Kansas State coach Frank Martin said he saw one main difference between Kansas and KSU: maturity.

“That’s the difference when you’ve got grown men playing for you,” Martin said following KSU’s 59-53 loss to KU on Monday night. “It makes our guys look like little kids in those moments.”

The Jayhawks went on an 11-0 run at that point, turning a 37-36 deficit into a 47-37 lead.

There were a couple of reasons for KSU’s breakdown.

The first points in the run came from Tyshawn Taylor, who was able to beat the shot clock with an open three-pointer after KSU’s Angel Rodriguez tried to draw an offensive foul.

“Angel tries to flop on a charge, and Tyshawn looks at him when he falls down, says, ‘Thanks for making my job easy,’ and sticks a three,” Martin said. “Then he comes down and sticks another three.”

Kansas State also couldn’t figure out how to attack a new KU defense.

With KSU’s Shane Southwell on the court — a guard with limited offensive skills — KU coach Bill Self switched to a triangle-and-two defense that allowed Southwell to run free.

Against the set, the Wildcats missed their next six shots with a turnover.

“Those junk defenses — and I say that in a nice way, not in a negative way — they’re made to get you to stand around,” Martin said. “When you’ve got guys that don’t know what to do against it, now you’ve got to run a different offense. Then you come out of a timeout, and you still don’t run the right offense ... It got the mission accomplished.”

Martin was quick to take on responsibility for his team’s second-half “self-destruction,” saying the Wildcats should have been better prepared for KU’s change-up.

“That defense is designed to try to take away the guys that get you into offense and get you to be passive, and that’s what it did to us,” Martin said. “We got passive.”

Martin also bemoaned his team’s poor first-half shooting. KSU made just seven of 31 field goals (23 percent) and one of eight threes (13 percent) before halftime. The Wildcats trailed, 28-18, at the break.

“I told our guys (at halftime), ‘I don’t know what to tell you. You’ve got an open shot, you’ve got to make it,’” Martin said. “It’s plain and simple.”

Martin dropped to 2-9 against KU and 2-3 at Bramlage Coliseum.

“We played hard. We tried. We lost,” Martin said. “Huggs (Former KSU coach Bob Huggins) said that when we got hired here: ‘It’s hard to have a rivalry when one team wins all the time.’ When you lose on your home court, there’s no rivalry.”

Martin left impressed by the Jayhawks’ discipline, saying they were a team that didn’t make many mistakes.

“They’ve got big boys playing — and I don’t mean in size, I mean in age and maturity,” Martin said. “And Bill does as good a job as anyone in the country.”

Comments

Steve Brown 2 years, 2 months ago

We all need to tweat the basketball voices, Fran, Doug, Jay, DV, Sunvold, etc. that logic says the new Jeff Withey is a result of TRob being double.triple teamed and in some wierd way, JW rise to greatness is a tribute to TRob being given attention by the defenses.

JW great games are further testament to TRob ability as seen by opponents.

Therfore, make TRob not some KY dude POY.

mikehawk 2 years, 2 months ago

It was clear last night at the ceremonial handshake after the game that Bill and Frank really like and respect each other. Very fitting for the nature and tone of the...yes, rivalry. It doesn't have the bitterness of the Mizzou rivalry, but it is a rivalry. Speaking of Mizzou, I hate to put this kind of pressure on us, but we HAVE TO WIN THAT GAME IN THE FIELDHOUSE!

It is getting much clearer now. TT makes a lot of his turnovers, and misses free throws, late in the game. The fatigue factor. No doubt about it. Nadir is showing more of a willingness to come in, make easy passes, don't look for shot, play defense, and keep the game simple. He has now done that two games in a row. Hope Coach continues to give him more leash because those are valuable minutes Tyshawn and Elijah can use on the bench getting a blow. Unlike Frank, who is willing to keep putting a point guard out there who made bad play after bad play, HCBS is not willing to pay that price. Nadir has to contain his game, and if he can do that, he might discover his name getting called more often. I love Conner, but he is a quickness liaibilty. Note every team's scouting report says if Teahan guards you, go around him toward the rack.

JayDocMD 2 years, 2 months ago

Time for Bob Knight to move on. Does anyone know if Liberty has a basketball team? He and Gill would be two peas in a pod.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Regarding KSU players: Jamar Samuels should have been fed more.
Angel Rodriguez was a great ku bench player last nite. His swatted layup should have been an assist to Enriquez for a dunk (replayed ad nauseum). He did one ankle-breaker crossover to Tyshawn, but for the game, Tyshawn ate him alive. He has a long way to go. If you wonder what it would be like to have Tharpe start and play 30mpg, I fear it may be like Angel's outing last nite (hope Im wrong, at least for now). I do think Angel is a D1 talent, just very young. MacGruder was gameplanned very well by Self. And we guarded the trey, other than not-in-scouting-report Samuels.

For any Spradling-lovers...in a word: "no". He is not the next Reed/Brady. He is about 80-90% of Reed...and Reed was about 90% of Brady (Brady better defender). There is a reason Self didnt recruit him, and I'm just speculatin'.

Gipson will be a monster. He started the season off avg 18ppg, but now is out of the starting lineup. Freshman wall? Or the ThomasRobinsonWall...If he learns position and defense, he could beast. Imagine what Danny would do with him...

Where was Martavious Irving?
Southwell=no show. Ojele=no contribution? ================== There are many reasons the above crew are sub-.500 in Big12BigBoyBallPlay...

BReakinggOOd 2 years, 2 months ago

One more Knight rant for now...Near the end of the game he commented that KU should do well in the NCAA tourney because of our "deep bench." He stated we go "9" players deep which gives us an advantage. "Deep bench"? This year? Does he ever do any research or at times, even pay attention?

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess reading through the comments, it is always great when your coach comes out after a tough loss, and calls you kids and your counterpart men. It also is great when he calls you out for trying to play defense and he is saying you are flopping. (Sarcasm intended)

Is Martin trying out for the KU job? Last time i checked he works for KSU and according to KSU it is their biggest foe. You really think this is classy when you sell your own team out?

There is a reason that Martin didn't get a contract extension and there is a reason why he didn't end up in Miami "his dream job".

I guess I have to give him credit from the standpoint that spradling (or whatever his name is), wasn't good enough to walk on to KU, but at KSU he has held his own.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin is a class act. A shame that he is stuck in a site so difficult to lure topnotch players. I'd hate to play him, year in and out, with the kids who have come through the Jayhawk program in the years Frank has been at Manhattan. He might not have won so many games as did Self with our kids, but he would have served up some real giantkillers. The guy can coach!

jgkojak 2 years, 2 months ago

Martin will be in KSU as long as he wants - he's the best coach they're going to get.

If he turned down Miami, I'm not sure where else he would go, unless some NBA team threw millions at him (which I don't see happening- he's not an NBA style coach).

Steve Corder 2 years, 2 months ago

Knight is just being himself, but he's slipping a little. There was one point in the telecast where he's explaining how K-State's offense was lurring Withey away from the basket and Withey is on the bench. Knight was confusing Teahan on the replay as being Withey.

Sometimes Knight makes me think he fancies himself as the granddaddy of basketball coaching and would like his special seat in every arena in the country. Anyone remember Hank Iba having his special seat at OSU so the cameras could always find him and the commentators could talk about the "great legend"?

Never the less, he was a winner on the court at least.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

See, this is why I like Frank Martin. He's always so respectful of KU basketball and he is a no-nonsense type of coach. I don't think I'd like to play for a guy that blows his fuse that easily, but he's got class nonetheless.

Bob Knight was sure that the "flop" Martin was talking about was a blatant charge by Tyshawn. It's true...it did look like a charge to me as well. But Frank doesn't whine or make any excuses about it. He demands accountability from his players for what they do. I wish some of my KSU friends would take a cue from their head coach about the whining thing...

Vittorio1224 2 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin is definitely a class act. I remember last year when T-Rob was going through all his stuff, he went out publicly and supported Thomas and encouraged all Wildcat fans to donate to Jayla's scholarship fund. In addition, Martin himself made a sizeable donation.

I don't think it's false flattery, either, when he speaks so glowingly of KU's players. He's openly called Tyshawn the best point guard in the country and T-Rob the best power forward in the country. With Withey down low, we may have the 3 best position players in the country. Now will that translate into another Final 4 run? Only time will tell....but we're toughening up. Rock Chalk!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

Am I the only one that thinks Frank Martin isn't a great coach. If you want a rivalry, you talk. Look at what made the KU/MU Rivalry great, it is the ability to talk some smack before and after the game.

This sounds more like when you beat your little brother, and he says I'm just a kid, you're so much bigger than me.

I'm hoping somehow that WVU or ISU become our Rival, not the Purple-Headed Stepchild.

KSU seems more like our rival because mom and dad said you have to play with your little brother. Missouri was our rival because we flat out hate them and the generations before us hated them.

namder 2 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin is as proffessional as you get. I like him but I don't think he'll be in Manhattan too many more years.

BReakinggOOd 2 years, 2 months ago

Bobby Kinght is still a terrible broadcster & on top of that, he's just strange. Ever see a broadcaster have a cough drop in his mouth + roll it around + suck on it while he's on air? How about late in the game when he explained how K-State blew the in-bounds play and then a few seconds later when the same play was on replay, say that they executed it well, but the shot attempt should have been made? How about the incredibly annoying announcements when it would say "NO" or "OFF when a shot was in the air & he thought it would miss? After years of treating the media terribly, he's become part of the same media he depised & disrespected + what a surprise, he sucks. .And yes, he's better than when he 1st startred broadcasting, but he's still stange and NOT a good commentator.

Konkis Dongington III 2 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin is actually a really fantastic coach. I hope he doesn't go anywhere for a long time and keeps KSU's program competitive. After all, as much fun as it is to dominate your rivals, there's no satisfaction when it's a cakewalk year in year out. Getting beat every now and again and having to bring it in the Hawktagon make having a rivalry worth while. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I never considered KSU a rival in the same sense that I did Mizzou because they almost never put up a real challenge until Martin came along. With our rivalry focus now shiftin west, I want as tough a challenge as we can get. Great job Frank. You give us something worth fighting for.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Frank Martin confirmed my suspicion: Frank is the only 'man' in Manlesshattan!

Robert Brock 2 years, 2 months ago

KU got a lot of help from Angel Rodriquez. Thanks, Buddy!

Jim Jackson 2 years, 2 months ago

KSU tried to get physical but as Frank said, we have men on our team. Credit to Andrea, the S&C coach as our guys are a big, strong group. Does also help that we've got some upper classmen on the squad.

ferdthemooncat 2 years, 2 months ago

Frank's right. Bill's right. Everything is swell.

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

Martin is a stand up guy. Knight is on TV talking all night about the horrible no call on the Taylor push off. Instead of whining about that, Martin calls it what it was, a flop (Rodriguez could have just as easily been called for a block...in my mind that call could have gone either way, had a call been made.) Let's not even get into Elijah's 5th foul when he goes airborne, then the KSU player takes one or two steps after he's in the air to get in front of him. I lost a lot of respect for Knight last night.

KSU decided to be physical, ugly up the game and play thug ball. Problem is, Bill Self teams love that kind of ball. That's the way they practice every single day. K-State needs to try to find a new strategy next time they play us because we'll beat them at thug ball every time.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

It just sucks - K-State having a coach that I actually like.

If he went to Missouri, I could hate him a lot. But only for a few more weeks. Then they don't even exist in my mind.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

We need State to manup and go beat the slavers in columbia!

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 2 months ago

Frank will be coaching for a long time. I am always uneasy facing his squads. He himself makes the rivalry interesting...his expressions...analysis...

That team has talent but need a lot of polishing...watch the tape closely fellas and you will see quickly what your coach is saying.

I had heart palpitations when I saw both Robinson an Withey slow to get up after a collision late!

Another nice W on the road.

theboehr 2 years, 2 months ago

^ Aw, I like positive comments! Jayhawk fans are the best :-)

dstnku34 2 years, 2 months ago

I'd love to have Frank on staff here.

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 2 months ago

"'It’s hard to have a rivalry when one team wins all the time.’ When you lose on your home court, there’s no rivalry."

Word.