Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Frank Martin: Game was ‘men’ vs. ‘kids’

Kansas State head coach Frank Martin gives a hug and encouraging words to Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor after the Jayhawks' 59-53 win on Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 59-53 victory over Kansas State on Feb. 13, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KSU coach Frank Martin

Kansas State coach Frank Martin talks to reporters following the Wildcats' 59-53 loss to Kansas on Feb. 13, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Kansas State

Box score

— After his team took a one-point lead in the second half, Kansas State coach Frank Martin said he saw one main difference between Kansas and KSU: maturity.

“That’s the difference when you’ve got grown men playing for you,” Martin said following KSU’s 59-53 loss to KU on Monday night. “It makes our guys look like little kids in those moments.”

The Jayhawks went on an 11-0 run at that point, turning a 37-36 deficit into a 47-37 lead.

There were a couple of reasons for KSU’s breakdown.

The first points in the run came from Tyshawn Taylor, who was able to beat the shot clock with an open three-pointer after KSU’s Angel Rodriguez tried to draw an offensive foul.

“Angel tries to flop on a charge, and Tyshawn looks at him when he falls down, says, ‘Thanks for making my job easy,’ and sticks a three,” Martin said. “Then he comes down and sticks another three.”

Kansas State also couldn’t figure out how to attack a new KU defense.

With KSU’s Shane Southwell on the court — a guard with limited offensive skills — KU coach Bill Self switched to a triangle-and-two defense that allowed Southwell to run free.

Against the set, the Wildcats missed their next six shots with a turnover.

“Those junk defenses — and I say that in a nice way, not in a negative way — they’re made to get you to stand around,” Martin said. “When you’ve got guys that don’t know what to do against it, now you’ve got to run a different offense. Then you come out of a timeout, and you still don’t run the right offense ... It got the mission accomplished.”

Martin was quick to take on responsibility for his team’s second-half “self-destruction,” saying the Wildcats should have been better prepared for KU’s change-up.

“That defense is designed to try to take away the guys that get you into offense and get you to be passive, and that’s what it did to us,” Martin said. “We got passive.”

Martin also bemoaned his team’s poor first-half shooting. KSU made just seven of 31 field goals (23 percent) and one of eight threes (13 percent) before halftime. The Wildcats trailed, 28-18, at the break.

“I told our guys (at halftime), ‘I don’t know what to tell you. You’ve got an open shot, you’ve got to make it,’” Martin said. “It’s plain and simple.”

Martin dropped to 2-9 against KU and 2-3 at Bramlage Coliseum.

“We played hard. We tried. We lost,” Martin said. “Huggs (Former KSU coach Bob Huggins) said that when we got hired here: ‘It’s hard to have a rivalry when one team wins all the time.’ When you lose on your home court, there’s no rivalry.”

Martin left impressed by the Jayhawks’ discipline, saying they were a team that didn’t make many mistakes.

“They’ve got big boys playing — and I don’t mean in size, I mean in age and maturity,” Martin said. “And Bill does as good a job as anyone in the country.”

Comments

Rock_Chalk_NYC 2 years, 8 months ago

Agreed. He's a total class act and from all I've read and heard from close KSU friends a great American patriot as well.

I like KSUck (lol) being a better team, but I still like beating them at Allen Fieldhouse West even more!

With Mizzery gone, I do hope this rivalry starts to become more like the Duke-UNC rivalry.

travisthein 2 years, 8 months ago

I absolutely couldn't stand Frank up until this year. Now that I've seen a lot of post-game interviews/other videos/quotes in the paper from Frank talking about Self, and vice versa I like him a lot. They have a lot of respect for eachother, and Frank seems like he's very down-to-earth.

hawk316 2 years, 8 months ago

Although I've never been a fan of the way Martin screams at his players (it is said that he really cares for them, however), I've always been impressed with his graciousness in a loss. He obviously has a great deal of respect for Bill Self, so he also has that going for him. Still, I wouldn't want to play for him. I don't like someone screaming in my face all the time...even when I may deserve it. :-)

Mike Kendall 2 years, 8 months ago

You couldn't say it better myself----totally agree.

Cmill1221 2 years, 8 months ago

It's hard to hate a loser. If he was 9-2 instead of 2-9 I think feelings would be different. But he does take credit for losses and doesnt blame his players. I just remember Quinn Snyders quote: "you can't coach effort". Exact opposite w/ frank.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

He was a hell of a coach at Miami Sr. High so I'm not surprised he is also successful at this level. BUT..no way in hell would I want to play for him.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 8 months ago

And obviously we wanna win them all right? So the question is, do we really want a rivalry with kSuCk? Tough question.

april28 2 years, 8 months ago

Had the chance a couple of years ago to get out while he was hot and he chose to stay. Why? to finish behind KU year-in and year-out. He should have got out while the getting was good.

Cantkeepagooddudedown 2 years, 8 months ago

that's kinda silly... do you think Frank is hurting his stock as a head coach right now? The getting will always be good for a good head coach... as long as HE doesn't get complacent. He is good enough that he will always control his own fate in his career.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe he isn't the type to get out before he finishes the job.. Some coaches won't walk away from a challenge.

dstnku34 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd love to have Frank on staff here.

theboehr 2 years, 8 months ago

^ Aw, I like positive comments! Jayhawk fans are the best :-)

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 8 months ago

Frank will be coaching for a long time. I am always uneasy facing his squads. He himself makes the rivalry interesting...his expressions...analysis...

That team has talent but need a lot of polishing...watch the tape closely fellas and you will see quickly what your coach is saying.

I had heart palpitations when I saw both Robinson an Withey slow to get up after a collision late!

Another nice W on the road.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

We need State to manup and go beat the slavers in columbia!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

It just sucks - K-State having a coach that I actually like.

If he went to Missouri, I could hate him a lot. But only for a few more weeks. Then they don't even exist in my mind.

jgkojak 2 years, 8 months ago

I actually kind of like Frank Haith from what I've seen, not that it matters anymore.

I think its good to have a healthy sportsmanlike in-state rivalry - it actually does make the games more fun than if it were nasty.

Wish, though, we would just go ahead and start playing home and homes with Wichita State.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, that would be sweet--to play Wichita State, that is. Brand new arena--Intrust Bank Arena--would love to host a KU-WSU game. I would definitely be there!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

I have never understood why we don't play WSU. Maybe someone has some inside info on the subject.

jhox 2 years, 8 months ago

Martin is a stand up guy. Knight is on TV talking all night about the horrible no call on the Taylor push off. Instead of whining about that, Martin calls it what it was, a flop (Rodriguez could have just as easily been called for a block...in my mind that call could have gone either way, had a call been made.) Let's not even get into Elijah's 5th foul when he goes airborne, then the KSU player takes one or two steps after he's in the air to get in front of him. I lost a lot of respect for Knight last night.

KSU decided to be physical, ugly up the game and play thug ball. Problem is, Bill Self teams love that kind of ball. That's the way they practice every single day. K-State needs to try to find a new strategy next time they play us because we'll beat them at thug ball every time.

David Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

Anyone else think Knight is anti-KU? Or is it anti-Self? All those games where Self kicked his butt (and his son's) at Tech, might have 'ol Bobby a little over-sensitive toward KU. Kietzman on 810 Sports has a holy war going against Knight and his on-air performances. How does Knight rate with his game analysis? Is he any better/worse than other analysts? It is well known what he thinks of journalists, be they print, radio, or on-camera.

jgkojak 2 years, 8 months ago

Knight has said before that if he were hiring an active coach right now, he'd hire Bill Self. He respects Bill a lot-- and a lot of the things Bill does- get on guys for playing soft, etc. are very similar to how Knight coached - without the meltdowns.

I think Knight is confused and does better when he's not w/the equally confused Musberger and has someone who can keep him on track.

Tuskin 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Knight is one of the most pro-KU analysts out there. He's almost always singing the praise of Self, our defense, our offense, our team play, and our individual players. To me, he seems always to be calling the game from the KU perspective, like he knows our team better than the opposing team.

However, I didn't get to see the game last night. Maybe he switched that up a bit this time. But it certainly doesn't make him anti-KU.

Todd Hill 2 years, 8 months ago

I like watching a Knight called game. He gives commentary from an ole coaches point of view. Sometimes he is off on his comments, but what the heck. At least he talks about the game that he is watching instead of constantly talking about Kentucky's Diaper Dandies, ACC, Duke or the Big East. Vitale's on-air ramblings are becoming real old. Sometimes I wonder if he is even watching the game or just reading from the ESPN que card.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

I think it was just an off-Knight. Usually he has a lot of insight that other announcers don't.

hathead 2 years, 8 months ago

I much prefer Knight to the rest. He's actually objective. Like when he calls a push off a push off, and not a flop or potential block by Rodriquez. What I hate is listening to Gurly and the like. And if Gurly is your man, I suppose Knight might look anti-KU/Self.

STLJHawk1 2 years, 8 months ago

If you notice, Knight's comments are almost always negative and critical regardless of whether it's the Jayhawks or not. He can't help himself in his desire to prove how smart he is. And he is very insightful about basketball. I'm tiring of how critical he is and also how he refs from the sideline. He focuses on one call that was clearly a flop and doesn't make note of the four other calls that didn't go our way. The fifth foul on Elijah wouldn't have been called by most high school refs. That was a step in and undercut -- Elijah had nowhere to go and that's not a foul on him. TRob can't buy a foul against him when guys are banging on him all night. If he is going to be critical he needs to see the bigger picture instead of fixating.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

He also says that no team gets the ball inside as well as KU. He seems to think more of this team than I do, and usually I am an insufferable optimist when it comes to KU basketball. Bob has been very complimentary of Bill and KU since he has been an analyst.

I watched at a bar last night so didn't hear his commentary, but I have always enjoyed listening to him in the past. He is the ultimate hardass old school basketball coach. He is Robert Montgomery Knight. Of course he is going to be critical of sloppy play on the floor. What else would you expect from The General?

I may not always agree with Bob's opinion but I always appreciate the opportunity to hear the opinion of one of the true legends of the game. He's forgotten more basketball than any of us will ever know.

misfire 2 years, 8 months ago

I muted Knight and listened to Bob and Chris.

JayDocMD 2 years, 8 months ago

Bob Knight is good for one or two good/original comments a game, but the rest is pretty much just canned answers. He uses the same comments about utilizing the pump fake and officials missing travelling calls and blah, blah, blah.

It's obvious the guy is mailing it in and not up to date on current info. An example early on in last night's game: He just assumes KU has its normal deep team and says "Kansas goes 9 deep - this is a deep team." ummmm - no. Couldn't be more wrong there Bob.

Give me Bilas or Fraschilla every game and I'd be happy.

Todd Hill 2 years, 8 months ago

Bilas - Yes Franchilla - sometimes Vitale - never

HiloHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I caught that one too. Everyone knows lack of depth is the big difference between this year's squad and what we usually enjoy. It's pretty much our major limitation this season. Overall, though, I think his coverage is reasonably unbiased. At least he is not as openly opinionated and arrogant as that guy with the matching ties and highlighters!!! I find him hard to take even when he is singing our praises - which he has done a few times recently. He used to seem very anti-KU, guess maybe Jay B influenced him finally.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

"the horrible no call on the Taylor push off" If he didn't flop so blatantly, he might have gotten the call.

But I get what you are saying and was getting tired of Knight myself. Overall though, I enjoy hearing him call the game.

ferdthemooncat 2 years, 8 months ago

Frank's right. Bill's right. Everything is swell.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 8 months ago

KSU tried to get physical but as Frank said, we have men on our team. Credit to Andrea, the S&C coach as our guys are a big, strong group. Does also help that we've got some upper classmen on the squad.

Robert Brock 2 years, 8 months ago

KU got a lot of help from Angel Rodriquez. Thanks, Buddy!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Agree with everything except: "Getting beat every now and again..."

They need to beat up on everyone else in the conference, then lose to us 2 (sometimes 3) times every single year.

I'm fine with that rivalry. :-)

HiloHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

The reason you guys don't consider KU/K-State a real rivalry is that you are too young! If you had started following local sports in the '50's like I did, you would have a different view...

BReakinggOOd 2 years, 8 months ago

Bobby Kinght is still a terrible broadcster & on top of that, he's just strange. Ever see a broadcaster have a cough drop in his mouth + roll it around + suck on it while he's on air? How about late in the game when he explained how K-State blew the in-bounds play and then a few seconds later when the same play was on replay, say that they executed it well, but the shot attempt should have been made? How about the incredibly annoying announcements when it would say "NO" or "OFF when a shot was in the air & he thought it would miss? After years of treating the media terribly, he's become part of the same media he depised & disrespected + what a surprise, he sucks. .And yes, he's better than when he 1st startred broadcasting, but he's still stange and NOT a good commentator.

namder 2 years, 8 months ago

Frank Martin is as proffessional as you get. I like him but I don't think he'll be in Manhattan too many more years.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Am I the only one that thinks Frank Martin isn't a great coach. If you want a rivalry, you talk. Look at what made the KU/MU Rivalry great, it is the ability to talk some smack before and after the game.

This sounds more like when you beat your little brother, and he says I'm just a kid, you're so much bigger than me.

I'm hoping somehow that WVU or ISU become our Rival, not the Purple-Headed Stepchild.

KSU seems more like our rival because mom and dad said you have to play with your little brother. Missouri was our rival because we flat out hate them and the generations before us hated them.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Martin his due? 17-8 , 6-7 in the conference, with 3 home losses. His next two are at Missouri and at Baylor. That will be four losses in a row unless if he gets lucky on one of those games. Five games left does he even get to 20 wins?

LAJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

There isn't going to be a rivalry that will replace Mizzou. People are trying to make KState into that, but it just isn't going to happen. Why? Because there isn't a rivalry in the country with the kind of history as KU/Mizzou... in any sport... at any level. No rivalry has a bloody build up and catalyst to the biggest war in American history as the backdrop of their hatred. It just doesn't exist anywhere else. So we need to stop trying to find teams to fill that hole. It simply won't be filled. It's much, much too deep.

And by saying that I'm not giving mizzou credit. I agree 100% that we can't continue playing them, at least for a while. What I am doing is giving that rivalry the credit it very much deserves. It truly is a "Border War." Nothing will replace it. And nothing should.

Vittorio1224 2 years, 8 months ago

Frank Martin is definitely a class act. I remember last year when T-Rob was going through all his stuff, he went out publicly and supported Thomas and encouraged all Wildcat fans to donate to Jayla's scholarship fund. In addition, Martin himself made a sizeable donation.

I don't think it's false flattery, either, when he speaks so glowingly of KU's players. He's openly called Tyshawn the best point guard in the country and T-Rob the best power forward in the country. With Withey down low, we may have the 3 best position players in the country. Now will that translate into another Final 4 run? Only time will tell....but we're toughening up. Rock Chalk!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 8 months ago

See, this is why I like Frank Martin. He's always so respectful of KU basketball and he is a no-nonsense type of coach. I don't think I'd like to play for a guy that blows his fuse that easily, but he's got class nonetheless.

Bob Knight was sure that the "flop" Martin was talking about was a blatant charge by Tyshawn. It's true...it did look like a charge to me as well. But Frank doesn't whine or make any excuses about it. He demands accountability from his players for what they do. I wish some of my KSU friends would take a cue from their head coach about the whining thing...

Steve Corder 2 years, 8 months ago

Knight is just being himself, but he's slipping a little. There was one point in the telecast where he's explaining how K-State's offense was lurring Withey away from the basket and Withey is on the bench. Knight was confusing Teahan on the replay as being Withey.

Sometimes Knight makes me think he fancies himself as the granddaddy of basketball coaching and would like his special seat in every arena in the country. Anyone remember Hank Iba having his special seat at OSU so the cameras could always find him and the commentators could talk about the "great legend"?

Never the less, he was a winner on the court at least.

jgkojak 2 years, 8 months ago

Martin will be in KSU as long as he wants - he's the best coach they're going to get.

If he turned down Miami, I'm not sure where else he would go, unless some NBA team threw millions at him (which I don't see happening- he's not an NBA style coach).

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Frank Martin is a class act. A shame that he is stuck in a site so difficult to lure topnotch players. I'd hate to play him, year in and out, with the kids who have come through the Jayhawk program in the years Frank has been at Manhattan. He might not have won so many games as did Self with our kids, but he would have served up some real giantkillers. The guy can coach!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

I guess reading through the comments, it is always great when your coach comes out after a tough loss, and calls you kids and your counterpart men. It also is great when he calls you out for trying to play defense and he is saying you are flopping. (Sarcasm intended)

Is Martin trying out for the KU job? Last time i checked he works for KSU and according to KSU it is their biggest foe. You really think this is classy when you sell your own team out?

There is a reason that Martin didn't get a contract extension and there is a reason why he didn't end up in Miami "his dream job".

I guess I have to give him credit from the standpoint that spradling (or whatever his name is), wasn't good enough to walk on to KU, but at KSU he has held his own.

BReakinggOOd 2 years, 8 months ago

One more Knight rant for now...Near the end of the game he commented that KU should do well in the NCAA tourney because of our "deep bench." He stated we go "9" players deep which gives us an advantage. "Deep bench"? This year? Does he ever do any research or at times, even pay attention?

HawkKlaw 2 years, 8 months ago

I heard him say that too. Great coach. Terrible announcer.

2 years, 8 months ago

“Angel Rodriguez was a great ku bench player last nite.”

Too funny. I was saying last night during the game that one of our best players was on the K-State team :^)

JayDocMD 2 years, 8 months ago

Time for Bob Knight to move on. Does anyone know if Liberty has a basketball team? He and Gill would be two peas in a pod.

mikehawk 2 years, 8 months ago

It was clear last night at the ceremonial handshake after the game that Bill and Frank really like and respect each other. Very fitting for the nature and tone of the...yes, rivalry. It doesn't have the bitterness of the Mizzou rivalry, but it is a rivalry. Speaking of Mizzou, I hate to put this kind of pressure on us, but we HAVE TO WIN THAT GAME IN THE FIELDHOUSE!

It is getting much clearer now. TT makes a lot of his turnovers, and misses free throws, late in the game. The fatigue factor. No doubt about it. Nadir is showing more of a willingness to come in, make easy passes, don't look for shot, play defense, and keep the game simple. He has now done that two games in a row. Hope Coach continues to give him more leash because those are valuable minutes Tyshawn and Elijah can use on the bench getting a blow. Unlike Frank, who is willing to keep putting a point guard out there who made bad play after bad play, HCBS is not willing to pay that price. Nadir has to contain his game, and if he can do that, he might discover his name getting called more often. I love Conner, but he is a quickness liaibilty. Note every team's scouting report says if Teahan guards you, go around him toward the rack.

Steve Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

We all need to tweat the basketball voices, Fran, Doug, Jay, DV, Sunvold, etc. that logic says the new Jeff Withey is a result of TRob being double.triple teamed and in some wierd way, JW rise to greatness is a tribute to TRob being given attention by the defenses.

JW great games are further testament to TRob ability as seen by opponents.

Therfore, make TRob not some KY dude POY.