Friday, February 10, 2012

Slump busted: Kansas’ Conner Teahan regains trey form

Connor Teahan (2) gets blocked by Baylor's Cory Jefferson (34) and Anthony Jones (41) in the first half of the Jayhawks' game against the Bears.

Kansas University senior guard Conner Teahan, who has made four of his last five three-pointers over the last two games, appears to have shot his way out of a prolonged slump.

“I knew it was a matter of time before they started dropping. I needed to stay with it and make some minor adjustments,” said Teahan, 6-foot-6, 212 pounds, out of Kansas City Rockhurst High.

He hit two of three threes and scored eight points in Wednesday’s 68-54 victory at Baylor after going 2-for-2 from three in Saturday’s 74-71 loss at Missouri.

The accurate marksmanship followed an eight-game stretch in which he hit seven of 32 treys.

“Whenever I’m open and able to get a look, I’m going to take it,” Teahan said of the three. “I have to hit shots, period. I’m not going to put a number on it (per game). I feel in situations where our team is struggling is when I need to come in and definitely kind of turn it around. I put that responsibility on myself being the senior. It’s the same with Tyshawn (Taylor, senior point guard). That’s the only time I feel I’m needed necessarily to make a shot.”

Teahan was the only Jayhawk reserve to score a point against the Bears. However, Kevin Young had three assists, three rebounds and a steal in 10 minutes and Justin Wesley two rebounds and a steal in nine minutes.

“Kevin made some great passes. Justin played well. Kevin played well. Overall, we were able to execute,” Teahan said of the reserves.

The Jayhawks showed a lot in battling back from an early 19-9 deficit.

“We knew if we could come out and punch ’em in the mouth first, who knows what would happen?” Teahan said. “They got us first, to be honest with you. It was nice to see we were able to stay with it. Early in the year, we might not have been able to do that. We were able to bounce back.”

The Jayhawks were motivated following the loss to MU.

“We haven’t lost two straight games in 200-something games,” Teahan said. The Jayhawks have now gone 228 games without consecutive defeats, spanning six seasons. “We couldn’t let one become two. We know we have a tough road ahead with Oklahoma State (3 p.m. Saturday, Allen Fieldhouse) and K-State (8 p.m. Monday, Bramlage Coliseum), so this was a really big game.”

The Jayhawks (19-5, 9-2) received a big boost from junior center Jeff Withey, who scored a career-high 25 points, 17 the first half.

“It was a tough match-up for him at Missouri, their style of play,” Teahan said. Withey did not score in the loss in Columbia. “He wasn’t happy with it. He was struggling a bit with that performance at practice. Something got into him (Wednesday). He played great. He carried us.”

Ellis in McDonald’s game: Future KU forward Perry Ellis, a 6-8 senior from Wichita Heights, is one of 24 players chosen to compete in the McDonald’s All-America game, set for March 28 at Chicago’s United Center. Ellis, who is the all-time leading scorer in Wichita City League history, averages 26.1 points and 9.7 rebounds a game. He is a three-time all-state pick and Gatorade Player of the Year. He has led Heights to three consecutive state titles.

Ellis is KU’s first McDonald’s All-American since Josh Selby (2010) and the state of Kansas’ first McDonald’s pick since Wayne Simien (2001). KU assistant coach Danny Manning was a McDonald’s All-American in 1984 out of Lawrence High.

“I’m just so excited for this. I’ve been working so hard for this, and I’m truly blessed to get the chance to do this. It’s just real exciting for me and my family,” Ellis said. “Playing in the McDonald’s All-America game has been a goal of mine since my freshman year.”

Ellis will play for the East team with Kyle Anderson, DaJuan Coleman, Kris Dunn, William Goodwin, Gary Harris, Amile Jefferson, Tyler Lewis, Tony Parker, Alex Poythress, Rodney Purvis and T.J. Warren. The West roster: Brandon Ashley, Isaiah Austin, Anthony Bennett, Kevin Ferrell, Archie Goodwin, Grant Jerrett, Shabazz Muhammad, Marcus Paige, Devonta Pollard, Cameron Ridley, Marcus Smart and Rasheed Sulaimon.

’52 team to be honored: KU’s 1952 NCAA title team will be honored at halftime of Saturday’s KU-OSU game. To commemorate the 60-year anniversary of the crown, KU’s current players will be wearing throwback jerseys from that magical season.

“I think it’s nice and is a great compliment to our group,” title team member Bill Hougland said. “You feel more of this (feeling of achievement) the older you get. You look back at the times you had. It is a great feeling.”

Comments

Cantkeepagooddudedown 2 years, 2 months ago

Gary...

You have to realize the pulse of the fans that hang out here. Most of them have gotten to that point where they are convinced since he's not going to go 5 for 5 every game that he's pretty much worthless... you know, since that's all he's on the team to do.

Steve Brown 2 years, 2 months ago

Oak you were gone by '72 right, I do suspect JBate was there.

KU’s 1952 NCAA title team will be honored at halftime of Saturday’s KU-OSU game. To commemorate the 60-year anniversary of the crown.

It was a winter night, we showed up early to get the best seats at AFH about 4pm and always a guess which doors on the north side they would open first. Unfair if they opened the center doors as we always ran to sit right behind coach Owens or in big games sit on top row of student section right behind the team. This game in '72 a bunch of masking tape was on our benches that read "reserved" we said who the heck those belong to us, but we honored it not wanting to be kicked out and upstairs. We settled in for our normal game of chess, watched as Phog grandson (was it Mitch) came to join us as always, and Zeigelman, Ellsworth other UDK J students and then the '52 Olympic 20 yr. reunion team waltzed in, boy those guys looked old. Yes, boys that is the night Stallworth went off for 50 against a highly favored Mizzou. Kept us from a losing season at AFH, I recall that win kept us at 8-8 at home. Everytime MU shot a free throw I can still recall our section put a star trek mind meld cone over the rim as they continued to bounce free throws, clank off the rim.......What nice memories .....Okay I admit it, I have no memory of yesterday but I can see clearly everything about that game, the cheerleaders, the refs. Jim Bain and the little one, Bain always made Norm win on the road.... the pep band, the crowd, the reverant rock chalk chant, less the 'whooo', and our feelings of wonder why the old alumns can't get off their arses and stand up as we stood up the whole game. let the chain be unbroken. Max F. we miss you and we look back with gratitude and forward with hope, RCJHGKU!

FOGBALL 2 years, 2 months ago

Sorry to drift away, but I just read the article about Duke's lack of attendance. What's wrong with THIS picture - 9300 seats, top ten team and they can't even fill the arena. Plus tv coverage is kept out of range of the empties. Since I'm a long term KU fan, I naturally hate Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke. But I got to give some credit to the NC fan for writing the article!

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Okay, okay, I plan to check out the avatar which jb has designed for me. If phallic, it's gotta be good and desirable. I'd have created an avatar for myself long ago, but I'm too electronically impaired to copy and paste, much less download with any sense of direction. I approach these iron beasts with the trepidation of your average septuagenarian, very warily. I'll probably need help to nudge the image into proper place.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Sorry to leave your topic for a moment, ict. Coach, what are your plans for Naadir Tharpe next season? Or, it it too early yet to decide with any degree of certainty on that issue?

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Perses, you have made my point emphatically. That is precisely what "any coach" but the very smartest has done...or is likely to do. Corraling TT and T-Rob might have worked for the Dukies, early in the season, before we began to get the entire boot buffed and polished. But now? That Missouri game showed us that we've the ingredients to be $h.tkickin' good. In a 5 game playoff series, I've got a feeling that only Syracuse and Kentucky could win 3 or 4 games against our gang of last season's bench + one. Yeeee-Haw! Rock Chalk!

Kye Clark 2 years, 2 months ago

Some of the conversation today has got me thinking, what if you could sit down with Coach Self and ask him anything. If you could assure him that it would never get out, that it was just between you and him, but you wanted to know __, what would you ask him?

And I'll save some of you the trouble of posting it now, "do you wear a rug?"

I'm actually curious as to the what more substantive questions you might ask, that he couldn't outright say to the press. Like:

"How much of you not scheduling MU in the future is you and how much is pressure from the league to not schedule the defectors?"

"What's the shadiest recruiting practice you've ever engaged in? Witnessed?"

And if you have suspected answers feel free to share them too.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

By the photo above, it reminds me of a famous cookie.

By the photo above, it appears that the only person Baylor actually defended all night was Conner.

By the photo above, it appears Conner got a small inkling of what David felt facing Goliath.

By the photo above, if this was Roller Derby, Conner would have no chance of cutting off the jam.

By the photo above, the Baylor players are doing a nice job of demonstrating how New England defensive backs play pass protection.

By the photo above, "Red Rover, Red Rover, send Conner right over!!"

By the photo above, it appears Conner is being restrained from getting Brittney Griner's auotgraph.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Simply amazing to watch the way Bill Self has maximized the potential for this year's squad. What a mightmare for opposing coaches, most of whom seem to think that stopping TT and T-Rob is the key to defeating this Jayhawk team. Then Jeff Withey or Travis Releford or Elijah rise to the occasion for a 20+ pt. game...or we squeeze just enough super contribution off a limited bench to thwart opposing gameplans. And through it all, Jayhawk defense reigns supreme. Yee-Haw! Rock Chalk!

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

txrockchalk, I was brought up short yesterday by a poster who questioned my suggestion that both Perry Ellis and Conner Frankamp might be served well by attending summer camps wherein they might focus almost completely on defense, learning to move feet in such a way to insure that they make an immediate imprint on a Jayhawk starting lineup. Obviously, their h.s. offense is terrific (perhaps defense, too, for all I know). However, if they are to play optimum Bill Self basketball, they cannot get enough work on defense prior to arriving in Lawrence. I want to see both of those kids roaring into the program with full talents on display, from game one. BenMac and Jamari Traylor will look back someday to realize that, though temporarily derailed, they were blessed with this season of opportunity to polish their complete skills before hitting the game courts. If Merv Lidsay stays, I imagine that a redshirt season might be in his best interest in terms of future Jayhawk contribution, perhaps in the way of Releford.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Super solid posts today. I was very excited about this squad from the getgo, way back in October or before. Is pure enjoyment, watching them come together as a cohesive unit, constantly working off rough edges with different players rising to the occasion game after game. We are viewing sincere topnotch effort from our top 8 players. Gotta hope that Travis isn't unduly hobbled for upcoming contests. That Baylor victory served to display the Bill Self sytem in optimum performance. Two of our starters combine for 1 pt., only one bench player scores, yet we win over the #6 rated team in the country by double figures. WOW!

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

MacTeahan actually played pretty well overall against Baylor, even outside of shooting. Again, I'm not sure how he matches up with speedy perimeter shooters like Missouri has, I still contend he is too much of a liability against those guys, but I'm glad the he came out and hit some baskets.

If he can keep his shooting going, then he can at least nullify the baskets he gives up to Denmon, which in turn buys minutes of rest for the EJ-TT-TR rotation that Self seems to cycle through. So hopefully he keeps it rolling.

His name is Connor MacTeahan of the Clan MacTeahan, he is a Highlander born in the hills of Scotland, and he is immortal. There can be only one!

2 years, 2 months ago

ict ~ your point about Jeremy Case brings to mind an interesting comparison of two other players. Does anyone remember John Crider? Gatorade state player of the year in 1998 from Horton, KS? He had insane stats his senior year of high school (31.3ppg 11.1rpg), and came to KU as a highly-touted shooting guard.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but one of his biggest deficiencies was playing defense - - the same thing I hear those who have seen Conner Frankamp play say about him. I am hopeful Coach Self’s system will teach him well when he arrives and things work out better for Conner than they did for John, and this comparison will be much ado about nothing.

FLJHK 2 years, 2 months ago

Great to see CT hitting some 3's again. Seems to me that when you rely on someone offensively just for the 3, it somehow puts extra pressure on. I'd like to see him diversify a bit. He's not a slasher, but seems he could use the ball fake and pull up for some occasional 17 footers. His stroke is sweet.

I'm not a great evaluator of D, but I love his effort on that end of the court. Obviously he's not blessed with TT-type quickness, (very few are) but I think he utilizes his skills very well.

This is truly a team of overachievers. None of us had reason to expect this good a team 3 months ago. Very little depth, fear of TRob fouls, no idea of what to expect from Withey, and the normal TT uncertainties among other concerns. But this team plays together as well as any; all have accepted new roles, TRob is the favorite for POY, TT is playing the point as well as anyone in the country, and what once seemed unthinkable accomplishments now seem plausible. CT deserves credit for his significant role in this wonderful ride.

hawkster007 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure if CT has broken out of his slump or not, time will tell.

But most importantly, I like the fact that in recent games his decision-making has improved and he is not taking as many shots: 1) he is not taking a lot of forced 3-pointers like he had been doing, he was shooting a lot of 3's, and badly; and 2) he had been shooting a lot of 3's early in the clock, and now his shots are more timely and deeper into the clock.

As for his defense, its still not good, but that is just not going to change at this point. He tries as hard as he can but he is just not an athlete or a true top 10 rotation person - - he would not be getting this type of playing time in most years. He still throws errant passes at bad times, so that is the next issue that can be improved.

Regarding Shabazz Muhammad of Las Vegas, he is not coming to KU so don't get your hopes up. Rivals.com shows he has KU on his list of 7 schools, but it also shows KU is ranked as "low interest" and KY, Duke, UCLA and Las Vegas are all ranked as "high interest". He even has Texas A&M on his list, but low interest!

I'm guessing he goes to KY or stays home in Vegas, he appears to want to stay out west and that is fine with me, KY or Duke don't need any more help! He has not visited KU yet, although he was supposed to visit 2 previous times and changed his mind. He has visited KY and Duke, again, not a good sign for KU.

Finally, he is not a HCBS type player, he fits more within Calipari's system of dribble drive high scoring guards, as much as I hate to admit. Calipari cranks out highly successful NBA guards right and left, KU cranks out mostly decent NBA big men.

I don't think one and dones are a good fit at KU, and recent experience with Xavier and Selby have proven this. Self likes balanced scoring, and these guys are out try and score and shoot a lot in their single college year.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 2 months ago

Is KU still in the mix for Jabari Parker-he now lists Washington as high interest

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you Conner. I'm glad to be able to bring back "Downtown Conner Treyhan" back into the discussion. I missed that dude! Let's keep him in the spotlight going forward, okay?

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 2 months ago

Teahan is actually 6 for his last 10 on threes...this goes back four or five games. so he's definitely broken out of his slump. so kudos to him...because i wrote on here that he has probably hit "the wall' and we should not be relying on him anymore....so i will gladly eat the crow.

he's been big the last few games....making more plays other than threes as well.

also, info. posted above about a TRele injury...his foot? Self has talked about his wrist before...he's been pretty open about it. Please enlighten us.

he got into foul trouble vs. MU and i saw nothing wrong with the way he moved in that game.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Regarding Lindsay: He didnt redshirt due to any possibility he could contribute anything at all (if in dire need) this season with his 6'7 size+supposed 3gun. Babyface included for free. But depending on the recruiting, he could then redshirt next year. Releford will grad after next year, and Ellis may stay only 1-2yrs, who knows? So White+Lindsay at the 3wing, barring any other recruiting at the 3position. Ive got BMac at the 2, btw...

Kye Clark 2 years, 2 months ago

Yesterday's article about Perry Ellis and the subsequent talk of all the line-ups got me thinking about someone: Merv Lindsay. Weird, right? I just wonder what is/was the plan for this guy. Just to kind of show you how I got here, consider next year's roster, assuming TRob is the only one to leave early for the NBA (this has been illustrated before, so feel free to skip ahead if you've got a handle on it):

Returning (7): EJ Releford Withey Tharpe Young Wesley Lindsay

Becoming eligible (2): BMac Traylor

Incoming (5): Ellis Peters Lucas White Adams

Now assuming Adams qualifies and actually comes, we can see we're already over the amount of available scholarships. So the assumption is Wesley goes back to walk-on status. Nothing wrong with that. He wasn't recruited as a scholarship player. But Self is still out recruiting. Tony Parker, Shabazz, JaKarr Sampson, etc. Maybe long shots, but what if Self lands one of them? Who is on the chopping block to lose their scholarship? Logic says that's Lindsay.

So I'm just wondering why was Lindsay brought in? Surely Self, being the judge of talent that he is knew that he was a project and obviously not ready to help even the thinnest team this year. Was he just brought in to be a body for the practice squad? So many posters are fond of saying "Self tells recruits straight up how it is" when rationalizing how we lose out on some recruits. I have no idea what Self tells recruits, but if he is in fact giving them the straight, surely Lindsay knew he wasn't going to be seeing the floor much this year, and that barring major improvement it wouldn't get any easier to find court time next year. Not saying I don't want Self bringing in the best talent we can, I just feel sorry for the kid if it turns out he came here for one year and then has his scholarship pulled, and then has to transfer somewhere and sit out a year.

Upon thinking this out, the only other possibility I can see is that Self is continuing to recruit in the event he has a voluntary defection, either a player leaving the team of his own free will to transfer elsewhere (and here Lindsay seems like he might be the likely candidate in that scenario) or one of our other starters gets snatched up by the league. At this point only Withey has what I would consider an outside shot, but I don't see anyone but TRob making the early jump. If this is the case, that Self is recruiting as a safe-guard, has he told these guys "hey you can come here if something opens up"? Or is he recruiting as a safe-guard but if he lands someone and nothing frees up he then plans to pull someone's schollie (kind of a combination of the two theories)?

Thoughts?

Justin Daniel 2 years, 2 months ago

What is our scholarship situation anyway? We have 5 commits and how many scholarships?

Jayhawks Rock 2 years, 2 months ago

Doubters and haters...with friends like these....

KPOP 2 years, 2 months ago

at the end of the day, after all the analysis and whining, basketball is a pretty simple game if you make baskets. Things break down when the shots don't fall.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Reality check: Connor Teahan has always been a 36% three point shooter. That was his percentage coming into this season; it was his percentage heading into the ISU game. But that's not horrible. It's actually just fine. It's just magnified for him because that is thought to be his main skill, and thus we expect 45%. This article is perhaps premature and inaccurate. Premature in that he's only had a handful of attempts since the supposed slump, and it assumes there was actually a slump.

The hope is that he can shoot well enough to get his season percentage over 40. That would mean around 50% the rest of the way. Just when we need it.

I have never felt better for a player than I did for Teahan when he hit the two threes in the second half vs. MU. If we win that game, we'd remember that more. The guy is giving full effort but is just overmatched in some of the other areas of the game. I used the term "out-athleted" to describe what we witnessed vs. VCU, and their style of game. We see that with Teahan (for example, trying to guard Denmon). But he doesn't fail for lack of effort. As I've mentioned before, I don't think Self really even anticipated Teahan in this position. Teahan is in over his head a bit with his role. If BMac is eligible (assuming he wasn't in the Tharpe doghouse), Teahan would likely be getting half the minutes he gets now at best.

As with each cog here, there is no room for error. We need all cogs clicking to make a real run in March. Teahan shooting a 50% three ball would be a nice cog. It would be nice to see the guy go out as a senior with an unconscious hail of threes.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 2 months ago

Back to being "Gunner"! Keep shooting CT!

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Andrew Geller was an architectural stud. I cannot believe I overlooked him all these years.

He had an amazing ability to work with polygonal form in surprising, but also effective ways. Though his a-frames became iconic modernist mountain housing, I particularly like his square profile, longish box rotated upon an angular edge. At first I doubted its good sense, but as I studied its foundation efficiency, and its capacity for prefabrication, modular scaling, and recalled Paolo Solari's similar concept at Arcosanti, I was blown away by the power of Geller's thinking so early in the modernist housing approach in USA. I think this was one of the most brilliant house designs I have ever seen, even though his a-frame became ubiquitous. His houses also achieve the level of architecture, rather than just engineered structure,say, like a Fuller dome, or Quonset hut. His designs also lack the aesthetic/moral baggage of "ironic alienation" that is beginning to date some modernist architecture and design now. His modernism had some of the same fresh, unbiased welcoming of the new that distinguished the Eames from, say, the more austere and high sphincter tone modernism of Mies and those that labored more overtly with modern as conscious philosophical reaction to Europe's troubled, overhanging legacy. Geller's houses look much more like the Eames solutions. They just say, here, consider this, it works better in this situation. And the interiors are way more appealing than a Shindler house. I really like his work, about as much as I can, without the litmus test of going in one. And this surprises me, because I thought I was done with rigid adherence to basic geometric forms for a form language in architecture, but Geller seems very worth using as a springboard forward again. Thx.

MorganR 2 years, 2 months ago

At the beginning of the season, coach Self said, despite a loss of considerable talent, this would be a fun team to watch and that certainly has been true. As a fan, it is gratifying to watch players be successful (on and off the court). We've come to expect stellar performances from Mr. Robinson and Mr. Taylor in particular. To watch Messrs. Teahan, Withey, Releford, Johnson, Young, Tharpe, and other Jayhawks play so well is particularly gratifying.

mojayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Are we still in the running for Shabazz Muhammad?

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

overseashawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Now, if Elijah Johnson can break out of his ungodly slump THAT would be newsworthy.

jchief40 2 years, 2 months ago

I thought Sherron was in in the McD's game?

manginorh00lz 2 years, 2 months ago

4/5 over two games is "breaking" out of a slump? Talk about over-exaggeration...

kcn18 2 years, 2 months ago

I still don't why he was guarding Denmon towards the end of the MU game instead of Releford

trustyourSelf 2 years, 2 months ago

He has hit a couple of shots for us lately, but "slump busted??" Not yet.

kusayzone 2 years, 2 months ago

Dont know if I would call it breaking out of a slump but at least it is good to see CT putting the ball in the hole. Everyone needs to do their part!