Friday, February 10, 2012

Slump busted: Kansas’ Conner Teahan regains trey form

Connor Teahan (2) gets blocked by Baylor's Cory Jefferson (34) and Anthony Jones (41) in the first half of the Jayhawks' game against the Bears.

Kansas University senior guard Conner Teahan, who has made four of his last five three-pointers over the last two games, appears to have shot his way out of a prolonged slump.

“I knew it was a matter of time before they started dropping. I needed to stay with it and make some minor adjustments,” said Teahan, 6-foot-6, 212 pounds, out of Kansas City Rockhurst High.

He hit two of three threes and scored eight points in Wednesday’s 68-54 victory at Baylor after going 2-for-2 from three in Saturday’s 74-71 loss at Missouri.

The accurate marksmanship followed an eight-game stretch in which he hit seven of 32 treys.

“Whenever I’m open and able to get a look, I’m going to take it,” Teahan said of the three. “I have to hit shots, period. I’m not going to put a number on it (per game). I feel in situations where our team is struggling is when I need to come in and definitely kind of turn it around. I put that responsibility on myself being the senior. It’s the same with Tyshawn (Taylor, senior point guard). That’s the only time I feel I’m needed necessarily to make a shot.”

Teahan was the only Jayhawk reserve to score a point against the Bears. However, Kevin Young had three assists, three rebounds and a steal in 10 minutes and Justin Wesley two rebounds and a steal in nine minutes.

“Kevin made some great passes. Justin played well. Kevin played well. Overall, we were able to execute,” Teahan said of the reserves.

The Jayhawks showed a lot in battling back from an early 19-9 deficit.

“We knew if we could come out and punch ’em in the mouth first, who knows what would happen?” Teahan said. “They got us first, to be honest with you. It was nice to see we were able to stay with it. Early in the year, we might not have been able to do that. We were able to bounce back.”

The Jayhawks were motivated following the loss to MU.

“We haven’t lost two straight games in 200-something games,” Teahan said. The Jayhawks have now gone 228 games without consecutive defeats, spanning six seasons. “We couldn’t let one become two. We know we have a tough road ahead with Oklahoma State (3 p.m. Saturday, Allen Fieldhouse) and K-State (8 p.m. Monday, Bramlage Coliseum), so this was a really big game.”

The Jayhawks (19-5, 9-2) received a big boost from junior center Jeff Withey, who scored a career-high 25 points, 17 the first half.

“It was a tough match-up for him at Missouri, their style of play,” Teahan said. Withey did not score in the loss in Columbia. “He wasn’t happy with it. He was struggling a bit with that performance at practice. Something got into him (Wednesday). He played great. He carried us.”

Ellis in McDonald’s game: Future KU forward Perry Ellis, a 6-8 senior from Wichita Heights, is one of 24 players chosen to compete in the McDonald’s All-America game, set for March 28 at Chicago’s United Center. Ellis, who is the all-time leading scorer in Wichita City League history, averages 26.1 points and 9.7 rebounds a game. He is a three-time all-state pick and Gatorade Player of the Year. He has led Heights to three consecutive state titles.

Ellis is KU’s first McDonald’s All-American since Josh Selby (2010) and the state of Kansas’ first McDonald’s pick since Wayne Simien (2001). KU assistant coach Danny Manning was a McDonald’s All-American in 1984 out of Lawrence High.

“I’m just so excited for this. I’ve been working so hard for this, and I’m truly blessed to get the chance to do this. It’s just real exciting for me and my family,” Ellis said. “Playing in the McDonald’s All-America game has been a goal of mine since my freshman year.”

Ellis will play for the East team with Kyle Anderson, DaJuan Coleman, Kris Dunn, William Goodwin, Gary Harris, Amile Jefferson, Tyler Lewis, Tony Parker, Alex Poythress, Rodney Purvis and T.J. Warren. The West roster: Brandon Ashley, Isaiah Austin, Anthony Bennett, Kevin Ferrell, Archie Goodwin, Grant Jerrett, Shabazz Muhammad, Marcus Paige, Devonta Pollard, Cameron Ridley, Marcus Smart and Rasheed Sulaimon.

’52 team to be honored: KU’s 1952 NCAA title team will be honored at halftime of Saturday’s KU-OSU game. To commemorate the 60-year anniversary of the crown, KU’s current players will be wearing throwback jerseys from that magical season.

“I think it’s nice and is a great compliment to our group,” title team member Bill Hougland said. “You feel more of this (feeling of achievement) the older you get. You look back at the times you had. It is a great feeling.”

Comments

kusayzone 2 years, 7 months ago

Dont know if I would call it breaking out of a slump but at least it is good to see CT putting the ball in the hole. Everyone needs to do their part!

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

CT is shooting .37 from trey coming out of what is a deep slump for him.

MU's reputely good trey shooters other than English are at .38-.39, when not in slumps.

Wake up, kikimiles, your schtick is geriatric. . :-)

trustyourSelf 2 years, 7 months ago

He has hit a couple of shots for us lately, but "slump busted??" Not yet.

kcn18 2 years, 7 months ago

I still don't why he was guarding Denmon towards the end of the MU game instead of Releford

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Releford's foot is apparently injured. It appears to be getting worse. Self also sat Travis nearly half a game against Baylor. Houston, we may have a problem.

JHawk06 2 years, 7 months ago

I was thinking that during the Baylor game, and now I know... sad with our already shallow bench.

dylans 2 years, 7 months ago

Releford has been wearing a boot for a long time now. I wonder if he had sat earlier if his foot would heal or if it is an injury that requires season ending surgery to heal. If that is the case I would try to play through pain to not lose a year also. I wish I had a crystal ball to see how this works out in March. If he sits and KU loses a few games would the hawk be better off? Or is it something that no amount of rest can heal? Would the lower seeding hurt more than pride?

MinnesotaJay 2 years, 7 months ago

Definitely not exaggeration (over-exaggeration?). Slump busted!

addlime 2 years, 7 months ago

You just know there is some really large girl walking around the KU campus right now with a huge smile on her face!

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

When I saw the headline the first thing I thought of was Mark Grace talking about Slumpbusting with Jim Rome

KUbsee69 2 years, 7 months ago

Bet you also say "re-adjust" and "irrelevant".

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

Actually he put the period in the correct place. He wasn't quoting, he was putting something in quotation marks, there is a difference in how it is done.

The boy said, "I will be irrelevant once I go to Tulane."

Or it can be, I bet you say, "obsolete"? I was putting only the word in quotations so you knew exactly what I was talking about.

But if I wrote it like this, I bet you say "obsolete" a lot don't you? Why would my question mark be inside the quotation marks?

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

spell check. comma.

A coma could be final, depending on your insurance or what your will says, or if your family likes you or not.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

That's why he said 'could be', in case you weren't finally convinced.

It never hurts to read something over again before arguing a point that no one tried to make.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

The only word more often used wrongly than 'always' is 'never'.

The better way to distinguish is 'single quotes' to highlight and, "Use 'double quotes' around a verbatim citation."

In the first case, the punctuation is not part of the highlighted word or phrase. In the latter, the punctuation is part of the citation and belongs inside the delimiters.

Alex Berger 2 years, 7 months ago

1) Lame argument 2) manginor is right

KUbsee69 2 years, 7 months ago

Which is incorrect unless the whole sentence is in quotes ... hope you aren't really a KU student or grad.

Phoghorn 2 years, 7 months ago

Nope, he went to The University of Tulane.

bad_dog 2 years, 7 months ago

That's not the only thing manginorh00lz "is".

BTW, isn't "Mangino" a proper noun? If so, shouldn't it be capitalized?

Whew, so many rules for posting on the internet. Better go have some beer and ponder these questions...

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 7 months ago

Didn't say ManginorH00lz is always correct.

jchief40 2 years, 7 months ago

I thought Sherron was in in the McD's game?

jchief40 2 years, 7 months ago

oh nevermind I was reading that as first since 2001.. 2010 would be more recent lol

overseashawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Now, if Elijah Johnson can break out of his ungodly slump THAT would be newsworthy.

Scott Oswalt 2 years, 7 months ago

My thoughts exactly. I have no faith in his 3 point shot. He needs to take a couple steps in and hit the midrange jumper. He seems to be hitting that on a regular basis.

NomadHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

It almost seems like a mental block with him at this point, cos you're exactly right - as soon as he takes a step inside the arc, hes nailing his shots. I think he needs to just keep doing what hes doing, and keep shooting some threes. They'll fall eventually. He drives to pull-up jumpers are working now, so if he could get that combo going, hes going to be hard to guard come March.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

More Smear-opping by manginorh00lz. Documented. Reported.

Smear-opping = linking alias with smear without documentation.

mojayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Are we still in the running for Shabazz Muhammad?

jhox 2 years, 7 months ago

I think he still lists us, but I doubt we're being seriously considered. Word on the street is he has his hand out and is looking for Anthony Davis kind of money ($200,000 is the figure I was told.) I don't know how reliable that is, but I heard it from someone who tends to be pretty plugged in to the recruiting world.

I sure hope we're not playing that kind of game. Leave that to the Kentucky and Baylors of the world.

squintseugene1 2 years, 7 months ago

as much as I think your comment is pretty funny I think you are mistaken he could very possibly come to KU, that is if he really wants to learn how to grow as a player he should come here if he wants to just play on a team with no coach then he should just go to Kentucky.

Scott Oswalt 2 years, 7 months ago

On rivals.com he has KU listed as a low possibility. He did say he will visit the KU campus. Who knows. I'm totally over the one & dones. We need 3 and 4 year players.

jhox 2 years, 7 months ago

The person who told me he's looking for money, is a guy who is very well connected in the AAU world, and a guy who has a kid of similar age, who has played in a lot of the same AAU tournaments around the country. It could just be hear-say, and I really didn't mean to slander the kid. My reference to "Anthony Davis kind of money" was based on a Chicago Sun Times article which indicated Davis' father received $200,000 from UK or its boosters. When Kentucky and Davis' family threatened to sue if the Sun Times didn't retract the article, the Sun Times stood behind the article. To my knowledge, no lawsuit was ever filed (go figure).

I can't imagine Calipari ever cheating (tongue firmly planted in cheek as I write that.) I'd also love to know why the NCAA has been silent on this issue. They probably will investigate long after Davis is gone from Kentucky, and they'll vacate UK wins, just like they did at UMASS and Memphis in Cal's previous college coaching stints.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

I think that we have the age old issue of available scholarships.

Remember how we missed out on DeAndre Daniels last year? He wanted to come to KU and we told him to wait until a scholarship was available.

So, it could be that Shabazz has softened on KU because we are currently out of available scholarships to offer.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you 100%.

But if we had a scholarship available in December last year, Daniels would have been a Jayhawk during the second semester.

Turns out that we're not hurting too bad. But my point is that maybe Shabazz rates KU low at this point because Self isn't gauranteeing him a scholarship.

If he wants to come to KU he should have committed early. Daniels should have signed in November, instead he snubbed us to go play for a team that he thought had a better chance to win a championship. Now he might have a chance to play in the NIT.

You're assessment is absolutely correct. Their loss, not ours.

Alex Berger 2 years, 7 months ago

Pretty sure Shabazz is an instant scholarship from everyone. Everyone (recruiting services) thinks he is going to be a great pro.

NomadHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

<3 Perry - he is going to be a stud, I mean he already is! But just wait until he starts working with Dman!

Scott Oswalt 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, Otto Porter was a HUGE miss. That dude is a stud!

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Just curious, Ralster, what went wrong with Daniels at UConn? Self seemed so jazzed about him.

MorganR 2 years, 7 months ago

At the beginning of the season, coach Self said, despite a loss of considerable talent, this would be a fun team to watch and that certainly has been true. As a fan, it is gratifying to watch players be successful (on and off the court). We've come to expect stellar performances from Mr. Robinson and Mr. Taylor in particular. To watch Messrs. Teahan, Withey, Releford, Johnson, Young, Tharpe, and other Jayhawks play so well is particularly gratifying.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Andrew Geller was an architectural stud. I cannot believe I overlooked him all these years.

He had an amazing ability to work with polygonal form in surprising, but also effective ways. Though his a-frames became iconic modernist mountain housing, I particularly like his square profile, longish box rotated upon an angular edge. At first I doubted its good sense, but as I studied its foundation efficiency, and its capacity for prefabrication, modular scaling, and recalled Paolo Solari's similar concept at Arcosanti, I was blown away by the power of Geller's thinking so early in the modernist housing approach in USA. I think this was one of the most brilliant house designs I have ever seen, even though his a-frame became ubiquitous. His houses also achieve the level of architecture, rather than just engineered structure,say, like a Fuller dome, or Quonset hut. His designs also lack the aesthetic/moral baggage of "ironic alienation" that is beginning to date some modernist architecture and design now. His modernism had some of the same fresh, unbiased welcoming of the new that distinguished the Eames from, say, the more austere and high sphincter tone modernism of Mies and those that labored more overtly with modern as conscious philosophical reaction to Europe's troubled, overhanging legacy. Geller's houses look much more like the Eames solutions. They just say, here, consider this, it works better in this situation. And the interiors are way more appealing than a Shindler house. I really like his work, about as much as I can, without the litmus test of going in one. And this surprises me, because I thought I was done with rigid adherence to basic geometric forms for a form language in architecture, but Geller seems very worth using as a springboard forward again. Thx.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 7 months ago

See, when I think of housing, or structures, my thought process is limited to "I like brick." I feel so inadequate.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Oops, I forget to put a salutation to OakvilleJHawk on this post. Oak is an architect and I have a keen interest in architecture. He throws me bones occasionally about what is really good, rather than just status quo venerated. He posted about Geller to me a couple days ago, and I did not get around to studying up on Geller today, so, no, I did not pop a blood vessel. :-) But my post did appear to come out of left field and perhaps triggered a pop of one of yours, so I apologize.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

HEM, everything spatial fits overlaps. Basketball. Architecture. Weather. Geology. Geographic information systems mapping the world outside our heads. Brain scanning mapping our brains. Search engines riding on the threshold between both, and eventually accessing both. Yep, one day soon you are going to be able to Google another person's brain for sure. Game theory and strategy in evolutionary biology, military doctrine, and marketing. Basketball is the peaceful game that models it all dynamically in 3-D. Architecture relevant to basketball? Yes in a feasibility analysis sense? Yes. Fit of the system with context to achieve durable, effective function in a space program.

bville_hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Did you mean "did you pop a bennie" instead?

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

"Did you pop a bennie"--bville_hawk

Drug smear. Possible serial alias. Documented. Reported.

Wow, this is fun.

Yawn.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, I like architecture of all kinds, when it achieves a great fit with context and is pleasing to see and use the space program of.

2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, but did Geller ever build a double hyperbolic paraboloid home? :^)

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Not that I know of, but I recall one somewhere like that? :-) Maybe even in Lawrence. :-)

2 years, 7 months ago

LOL ~ O infinitely wise one, it would seem not possible to slip one by thineself :^)

KUbsee69 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm partial to the "house that Wilt built".

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate....Glad you followed up on Geller. For the rest of you posters, my apologies but JB and I share a strong interest in all things architecture and this is the only forum we communicate on. That's what's so great about this site compared to many others...rational, informative and interesting tidbits of knowledge pop up here all the time.

I mean, come on, how many times can you say, "I hate Missouri"...uh... maybe that's a bad example!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

PS just for fun, google Frank LLoyd Wright gas station!!

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

I wonder what Wright might have designed a drive through coffee kiosk to look like?

Ever since I had it explained to me by a knowledgeable person that Sullivan disciple Wright was really a fantastically creative functionalist that outlived functionalism, and that his take on ornament occurring within and reinforcing the form was first instinctual, and then found reinforced by Mayan art an architecture, which he aped not too beautifully in block for an unfortunate stretch, I have wished he had done much more mundane types of land uses than just houses, headquarters, museums, and city buildings. Oh, I reckon he did do a lot of different things, too, but he is not recognized for much now beyond his houses and a few iconic structures like the Guggenheim and the Johnson's Wax building. I just so love his Maiden Lane retail storefront and interior in San Franscisco, that I wish he were better known for his other work than the houses, which were admittedly wondrous. I would give almost anything for him to have designed an early McDonalds, and other ubiquitous franchises, so that when the franchises spread widely we could have leveraged off his genius and the franchise system to have really laid an infrastructure of beauty in USA, rather than the grotesque disfigurement that characterizes most of our freeway interchanges now. It could have happened so easily, if only...

One of the things I love about KU basketball, is that it is not a missed opportunity at getting it right. It is a made opportunity.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

Frank Lloyd Wright was a bad-@ss. My brother and I used to get carted across Kansas as kids and through Oklahoma to Bartlesville, OK to see our Grandparents. We often drove by the Frank Lloyd Wright building there. Odd green coloring but extremely unique.

The inside of one particular house I saw a few years ago in a pictorial was shocking. The ceiling went up to the sky.

RCJ

Robert Murphy 2 years, 7 months ago

Christopher Alexanders book " A Pattern language" is my favorite book on architecture. It is part of a three book collection which was written by the Head of the Architecture department at UCLA Berkley. The thesis is that certain patterns make us feel good and he describes a series of patterns starting with very large ones as well as how to trim around a door. The patterns are described as very important to strong theory.

Bucky Fuller is without doubt the foremost thinker of the 20th century. He was sure that how humanity is housed is crucial to his well being and built many geodesic structures often referred to as domes, with the geodesic structures providing the the least amount of surface area for the most amount of inclosed space. The tetrahedron, of course, has the most surface area for the least amount of enclosed space. It is also the strongest. He described his Dymaxion house as a dwelling machine and thought houses should be energy harvesters instead of losers with function being a most important feature. He built one of these houses in Wichita Kansas. In his book "Critical Path", a must read for anyone wanting to understand the prospects for humanity, he describes his "Old Man River project" for east St. Louis which would provide housing for 120,000 people. It would be in the shape of a large football stadium with private dwelling units on the truncated outside and of course it would be covered with a large geodesic cover which would have a surface area that would have only 2% of the area to gain and lose heat as a similar number of houses. That's a 98% increase in energy efficiency. The inside would be public spaces for work and services. It would be so large it would have a sports stadium on the inside. The private housing part would provide 2000 square feet of private living space for each family. I have often thought this project would have been great for New Orleans or Haiti. But alas, the politicians prefer card board boxes.

For individual housing units I agree with Fuller that each dwelling unit should be self sufficient and able to function off of the energy grid with many being portable and air deliverable.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Thx for doing a great digest of Fuller that makes him accessible to people. He was a great thinker trvialized by too many.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 7 months ago

Back to being "Gunner"! Keep shooting CT!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 7 months ago

Reality check: Connor Teahan has always been a 36% three point shooter. That was his percentage coming into this season; it was his percentage heading into the ISU game. But that's not horrible. It's actually just fine. It's just magnified for him because that is thought to be his main skill, and thus we expect 45%. This article is perhaps premature and inaccurate. Premature in that he's only had a handful of attempts since the supposed slump, and it assumes there was actually a slump.

The hope is that he can shoot well enough to get his season percentage over 40. That would mean around 50% the rest of the way. Just when we need it.

I have never felt better for a player than I did for Teahan when he hit the two threes in the second half vs. MU. If we win that game, we'd remember that more. The guy is giving full effort but is just overmatched in some of the other areas of the game. I used the term "out-athleted" to describe what we witnessed vs. VCU, and their style of game. We see that with Teahan (for example, trying to guard Denmon). But he doesn't fail for lack of effort. As I've mentioned before, I don't think Self really even anticipated Teahan in this position. Teahan is in over his head a bit with his role. If BMac is eligible (assuming he wasn't in the Tharpe doghouse), Teahan would likely be getting half the minutes he gets now at best.

As with each cog here, there is no room for error. We need all cogs clicking to make a real run in March. Teahan shooting a 50% three ball would be a nice cog. It would be nice to see the guy go out as a senior with an unconscious hail of threes.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

I have to disagree with you on Teahan's D. If he is playing a guard with any speed at all, he gets beat. One might argue that he "directs" the player to a side and we have another player step up and stop him for a quick double-team. Unfortunately, the fact is, when he gets beat and one of our bigs help out, that leaves someone else wide open. Watch the Baylor game again and focus on Teahan. I did that on several possessions and I started screaming at the TV for Self to get him out. He did go on to hit a couple of shots, but his poor D led to some easy Baylor buckets.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

It's funny because there's an article on Jeremy Case today, and he's pretty much the same player Connor is. Both were said to be these great trey-gunners, and while both were "fine", they wouldn't shoot the lights out in games. I wonder how Case would have done had he ever had the chance for extended minutes as Connor has had this year.

NomadHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I think you make some good points about Teahan, though at this point I don't think we should underestimate the rest of his abilities (beyond 3-point shooting). While he may not be the strongest "athlete," he is a very hard worker and has consistently improved his game this season. I thought the Baylor game was one of his best performances. He forced a couple of turnovers and I believe he had a steal. As one of the less athletic players on our team, he really understands the importance of footwork and is always working hard.

Yes, he was over-matched against Denmon, but at the same time Denmon was literally firing shots blindly out of his butthole with hands in his face 4 feet beyond the arc and hitting nothing but net. Its very hard to guard such a talented player who is absolutely on fire. So I don't really think its fair to use Teahan's defensive performance against him as a measuring stick.

Instead, I look at his consistent improvement in all areas of his game, his hard-working nature, and the positive attitude he brings to the team. I think Teahan has put himself in a very good position to be a successful contributor the rest of the way out!

Rock Chalk!!

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

I am not worried about Conner's trey shooting. It is already coming around and I reckon he will wind up at 40% for the season. The longer he keeps getting minutes, the more he is going to get comfortable shooting in full scale war. This is his first full season of doing it. Remember that Marcus Morris, who Self said had a good trey gun, struggled last year when Self asked him to start stepping out and popping amidst live rounds, and Marcus had played and scored inside for two previous years. Brady tanked last year, and then roared back. Tyrel sank below 40%, only because he had a bad wheel his last season. Conner, so long as he does not get an injury that interferes with his mechanics, will probably in his streaky way muddle up to 40% plus.

The guy that is really spooky is The Prophet down at 28% and having taken more treys than Connner. We're in February and EJ is at 28% from trey. To put that in perspective, Thomas Robinson is shooting better from trey than EJ.

EJ is the guy we have got to put a spell on and snap him out.

If it weren't for Tyshawn's trey shooting at 45 flipping percent this would be a very dark season in deed.

If Tyshawn can stay above 40% the rest of the way, he may be a lottery pick. He's got everything else.

But come on EJ, change the music you are listening to. Maybe ditch the contemporary sounds and try some insanely good Mozart. Mozart was one crazy mo-fo and he could be just the thing to unhinge you back into your zone. At 28% it can't hurt to try Amadeus on the iPod, whilst the others are ear jacking Flo Rida.

KPOP 2 years, 7 months ago

at the end of the day, after all the analysis and whining, basketball is a pretty simple game if you make baskets. Things break down when the shots don't fall.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 7 months ago

You should go to Baylor, or mu.

Around here, we know that the difference between KU and not winning 8 in a row is D. There was even an article about it yesterday.

KPOP,

At the end of the day it is complicated.

At noon it is complicated.

At dawn it is complicated.

In the dead of night it is complicated.

If it weren't, we'd all be making what Self makes running college teams.

But its fun.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure about you, but I am being philanthropic – so many here need a small share of my erudition.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

In other words you are telling us: If you make your shots ---> basketball is simple.

Let me know when you see a team that makes all of its shots.

Justin Daniel 2 years, 7 months ago

What is our scholarship situation anyway? We have 5 commits and how many scholarships?

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Ask and you shall receive. I was just typing something up that illustrates our scholarship situation. See below

Justin Daniel 2 years, 7 months ago

How many scholarships are we allowed? 12?

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Yesterday's article about Perry Ellis and the subsequent talk of all the line-ups got me thinking about someone: Merv Lindsay. Weird, right? I just wonder what is/was the plan for this guy. Just to kind of show you how I got here, consider next year's roster, assuming TRob is the only one to leave early for the NBA (this has been illustrated before, so feel free to skip ahead if you've got a handle on it):

Returning (7): EJ Releford Withey Tharpe Young Wesley Lindsay

Becoming eligible (2): BMac Traylor

Incoming (5): Ellis Peters Lucas White Adams

Now assuming Adams qualifies and actually comes, we can see we're already over the amount of available scholarships. So the assumption is Wesley goes back to walk-on status. Nothing wrong with that. He wasn't recruited as a scholarship player. But Self is still out recruiting. Tony Parker, Shabazz, JaKarr Sampson, etc. Maybe long shots, but what if Self lands one of them? Who is on the chopping block to lose their scholarship? Logic says that's Lindsay.

So I'm just wondering why was Lindsay brought in? Surely Self, being the judge of talent that he is knew that he was a project and obviously not ready to help even the thinnest team this year. Was he just brought in to be a body for the practice squad? So many posters are fond of saying "Self tells recruits straight up how it is" when rationalizing how we lose out on some recruits. I have no idea what Self tells recruits, but if he is in fact giving them the straight, surely Lindsay knew he wasn't going to be seeing the floor much this year, and that barring major improvement it wouldn't get any easier to find court time next year. Not saying I don't want Self bringing in the best talent we can, I just feel sorry for the kid if it turns out he came here for one year and then has his scholarship pulled, and then has to transfer somewhere and sit out a year.

Upon thinking this out, the only other possibility I can see is that Self is continuing to recruit in the event he has a voluntary defection, either a player leaving the team of his own free will to transfer elsewhere (and here Lindsay seems like he might be the likely candidate in that scenario) or one of our other starters gets snatched up by the league. At this point only Withey has what I would consider an outside shot, but I don't see anyone but TRob making the early jump. If this is the case, that Self is recruiting as a safe-guard, has he told these guys "hey you can come here if something opens up"? Or is he recruiting as a safe-guard but if he lands someone and nothing frees up he then plans to pull someone's schollie (kind of a combination of the two theories)?

Thoughts?

Dirk Medema 2 years, 7 months ago

What were Lindsey's other options? If I were given a chance to be paid to go to school and practice with one of the best programs in the country - that's a no-brainer IMO. It's sort of like being an intern, and getting your expenses paid.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

His other options surely included going to other schools and playing more (while "getting his expenses paid"). It's a choice that some are happy to make, go to KU and practice but not play much vs. go somewhere else and be able to actually. Connor made the decision when he could have gone other places and started I'm sure, but he walked on here and fate smiled on him and he's getting a chance to live out his dream. This is rare though, especially at a program like KU. Also Connor is a local kid. Playing at KU probably wasn't Lindsay's dream. It's a great gig, but would he have been willing to walk-on here as Connor did? Probably not.

And that's the difference - Connor was a walk-on. He always knew he was going to be paying his own way unless something opened up. Lindsay is different. He was brought here on scholarship. If coach were to pull his scholarship, what's he to do? Pay his own way and continue in a walk-on capacity, or transfer and half to sit out a year. As Ralster pointed out, he could redshirt, but what if we're over the scholarship limit in '13 and Self says "sorry kid I just don't have room for you"? That's where it stops being a "no-brainer", when (as was the point of my post) he starts to run the risk of having his scholarship pulled and sitting out a year.

Of course if you or I were given the chance to be paid to go to KU and practice with one of the best programs in the country we'd take it, but we don't have other options. That's a pretty flawed comparison - yourself to Merv Lindsay.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 7 months ago

You need to call kusports and do what Matt Tait does every Thursday but do it for basketball.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 7 months ago

Think Tharpe will come back with Lucas White and Adams coming in?

Also if we land one of the other big names like Parker, Shabazz, etc. which I'm not sure how much we are in the running for those guys.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't think Lucas, White, nor Adams has much of an effect on Tharpe staying. Lucas is a big, White is a 2/3, neither have the skills to run the point. Adams is described as a combo guard, so he probably has some PG skills, but he'll be a freshman and will likely be further behind in that respect than Naadir is this year, considering Naadir is a true PG and was high ranked coming out of high school last year than Anrio is this year. Next year EJ will almost certainly be our starting PG, but there isn't another guy to play minutes there when he goes to the bench, so Tharpe is it.

The only thing factoring into Tharpe staying is in wondering if this year has soured him on the program. My guess is he'll stick around.

deepind 2 years, 7 months ago

Did you forget about EJ? It is likely that EJ will be our starting PG if Self doesn't feel Tharpe is ready to start.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Ah yes, I forgot about the possibility of him red-shirting and thus not counting against the scholarship allotment. In that scenario I guess it's not so bad, either he can sit out a year here and roll the dice that down the line he could contribute (or at the very least improve enough to where he's not a risk to be shown the door), or he could transfer and sit out a year somewhere else where he might have a better chance of seeing major court time.

As for Self guarding against fate, I am sure he that's what he's doing. At least in part. And it's a good habit to get into. I just don't see anyone else leaving so I think we're good.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Well I don't think he's a post-man, so I don't know about him banging bodies or being able to take advantage of "the best big man development structure".

I just don't like the practice of bringing somebody in, and then if you find somebody better giving that other kid the boot, and thus making him sit out a year. For all we know Merv is busting his tail for Self, but was such a project and was so far away from the time he set foot on campus from being able to contribute here that he could very well be forced out. In that situation, whose fault is that?

Part of that is on the NCAA and their rules, and scholarships being one-year contracts and the transfer rules about sitting out. But doing that - forcing kids out, jerking them around - is pretty bad form, IMO.

Nick Cole 2 years, 7 months ago

I didn't think red-shirting took away from the scholarship allotment, since the player who red-shirts is still on scholarship, getting his school paid for (unless he moves down to a walk-on). Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

CandB – I have the same impression, and am pretty sure we are correct.

I think coach Self made the best possible use of an 'extra' scholarship – packaging it with a red shirt for Conner was a stroke of genius. Not so sure about the other one, but Justin and Kevin have been more valuable than we can appreciate – if only to give Jeff and Thomas ten minutes with coach Manning in their ear.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

ralster has nailed it on Merv.

Merv is an insurance project for down the road...maybe two seasons...when he physically matures and adds 20-30 pounds.

Self keeps trey gunner projects. Heck, Tyrell was basically a trey gunner project, though he could play a little early, though not much until his last two years.

Self doesn't teach guys to shoot the trey.

He teaches guys who shoot the trey to play the game and muscle up with Hudy.

In the era of sudden jumps to the L, when you recruit a lot of top talent, you have to keep a few projects around to fill unexpected holes down stream. He does the same thing with guys at other positions, e.g., Justin.

Self doesn't teach height. He finds 6'9" guys and teaches them footwork for defense and lets them Hudy up.

Can argue with the success of the program, so far.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

While I agree with this assessment, it wasn't really the point I was getting at. It is good to have projects. You can't realistically have a roster stacked 1-13 with ready-talent, because then there's ready-talented players not playing and thus unhappy. So it's good to have a few scholarship players as projects. It was more about assessing Coach Self's recruiting habits of late, and trying to translate what that meant, if anything, for Merv's future with the program.

Good post though. Side note, regarding Coach Self not teaching guys to shoot the trey, I'd say he most likely doesn't teach guys to shoot period. I always sort of cringe when people complain about someone shooting poorly from the free throw line and ranting about how they need to be working on it in practice. I was talking to a high school coach whose team was woeful at shooting throws, and I asked him if that was a focus in practice. And somewhat to my surprise he said it wasn't a big focus. He went on to explain that you can become a slightly better free throw shooting team in practice. Slightly better (he emphasized). But that there wasn't enough time in the few months and during the time they were allowed to practice to make huge strides. Players get better in the offseason, on their own, putting up thousands of shots. He said the same thing was true of most of their shooting, although you obviously needed to practice shooting from the field with a hand in your face. After that conversation I asked several other coaches and the good ones told me the same thing. The one's whose teams were poor said they spent a fair amount of time on shooting.

Anyway, just a little personal testimonial to add to your comment about Self not teaching guys to shoot the trey.

ict,

The subject of teaching shooting, or not, has always fascinated me.

Some coaches won't touch a shooter if he makes them. Others will. But even most coaches that will teach mechanics say that you can only help incrementally, not turn a average dinger into a great dinger.

But there was one major exception to this rule that I can think of.

John Wooden emphatically believed that shooting could be taught.

Unless you came in a great shooter, each player was taught to shoot the UCLA way. Shoulders squared to the target. Feet planted squarely under you. No running or falling forward. Straight up explosion. Ball 4 inches or so above the forehead. Shooting elbow bent a bit outwards. Release at the top of the jump. Lots of back spin. Quite a bit of arch. Aim for the middle of the rim, when shooting straight on, or few degrees either way. Always shoot from spots practiced endlessly in practice, never just pull up anywhere and shoot. All of Wooden's shooters were spot shooters. All players had to attain certain levels of proficiency in practice shooting before they were allowed to shoot from that spot. Great natural shooters had permitted spots all around the floor, but even they were not allowed to pull up and shoot elsewhere. Lesser shooters were almost only allowed to shoot from spots at 45 degrees off center and they had to bank. All UCLA shooters had to bank shoot whenever they were at 45 degrees to the basket, no matter how far out. Never more than one or two players were allowed to shoot from the corners, though if you could demonstrate proficiency from the corner, Wooden wanted the shot taken, when ever he was playing a big in the low post. UCLA team shooting percentages were consistently very high. But I do not recall another coach maintaining this kind of systematic and rigid shooting approach, though I'm sure some must have that I don't know about. Mostly mentioning this for posterity. But sooner or later, everything old is new again. :-)

Robert Brock 2 years, 7 months ago

Ellis looks like a four-year man to me.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

3-4 years probably is right. I say this because if he is going to one day play in the League, it will be as a 3. And as I've pointed out before, it takes time for these hybrid 3/4s to develop into effective 3s. Julian Wright made the jump a year too early in my opinion. Marcus was here about the right amount of time, but he was aided his final year by playing alongside his brother, and the two of them had amazing chemistry.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 7 months ago

Remember Brannen Greene. He will likely be a 3 in 2013.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 7 months ago

Teahan is actually 6 for his last 10 on threes...this goes back four or five games. so he's definitely broken out of his slump. so kudos to him...because i wrote on here that he has probably hit "the wall' and we should not be relying on him anymore....so i will gladly eat the crow.

he's been big the last few games....making more plays other than threes as well.

also, info. posted above about a TRele injury...his foot? Self has talked about his wrist before...he's been pretty open about it. Please enlighten us.

he got into foul trouble vs. MU and i saw nothing wrong with the way he moved in that game.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 7 months ago

Actually, for the last 5 games he's 7-19 (6-14 over last 4 games). Still at his average though of 37% (43%), hope this 50% or above streak continues.

JD Roth 2 years, 7 months ago

Teahan is turning it on, he wants his second National Championship!!

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 7 months ago

i just went back too many games. he's 5-8 his last three....and you're correct gohawk....6-14 his last four. of course, that was after the bad ISU game, which prompted the article about him.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, that was a real bad stretch for awhile, hoping it was just the mid-season shooting slump and he's back or better. The good sign was that these were both high profile road games against top 6 competition that he went 4-5, should see some good things saturday at home.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 7 months ago

totallly agree. :) Let's get them kitties on Monday too!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 7 months ago

Thank you Conner. I'm glad to be able to bring back "Downtown Conner Treyhan" back into the discussion. I missed that dude! Let's keep him in the spotlight going forward, okay?

Andrew Washington 2 years, 7 months ago

Is KU still in the mix for Jabari Parker-he now lists Washington as high interest

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

A Jamari and a Jabari on the same roster!!?? Thank God, Max retired!!

Andrew Washington 2 years, 7 months ago

lol-wouldnt it be something if we landed Jabari and Julius together..not so sure that we'd need that but possible. We could have a Justin, Julius ,Jabari and Jamari

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Too bad Jordan didn't redshirt!! :)

hawkster007 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure if CT has broken out of his slump or not, time will tell.

But most importantly, I like the fact that in recent games his decision-making has improved and he is not taking as many shots: 1) he is not taking a lot of forced 3-pointers like he had been doing, he was shooting a lot of 3's, and badly; and 2) he had been shooting a lot of 3's early in the clock, and now his shots are more timely and deeper into the clock.

As for his defense, its still not good, but that is just not going to change at this point. He tries as hard as he can but he is just not an athlete or a true top 10 rotation person - - he would not be getting this type of playing time in most years. He still throws errant passes at bad times, so that is the next issue that can be improved.

Regarding Shabazz Muhammad of Las Vegas, he is not coming to KU so don't get your hopes up. Rivals.com shows he has KU on his list of 7 schools, but it also shows KU is ranked as "low interest" and KY, Duke, UCLA and Las Vegas are all ranked as "high interest". He even has Texas A&M on his list, but low interest!

I'm guessing he goes to KY or stays home in Vegas, he appears to want to stay out west and that is fine with me, KY or Duke don't need any more help! He has not visited KU yet, although he was supposed to visit 2 previous times and changed his mind. He has visited KY and Duke, again, not a good sign for KU.

Finally, he is not a HCBS type player, he fits more within Calipari's system of dribble drive high scoring guards, as much as I hate to admit. Calipari cranks out highly successful NBA guards right and left, KU cranks out mostly decent NBA big men.

I don't think one and dones are a good fit at KU, and recent experience with Xavier and Selby have proven this. Self likes balanced scoring, and these guys are out try and score and shoot a lot in their single college year.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

When the NCAA hammer falls someday on Coach Cal it will be interesting what they end up getting him on. He used to do some very underhanded things, I think we can all agree on that. Some question Davis even today. I'm not sure he would pay Davis at this point but who knows. Davis is quite an athlete and $200,000 is a drop in the bucket to Coach Cal. The scholastic stories have always run side by side with Coach Cal. SAT tests. GPA's first semester at UK under Cal's new staff, I believe the team nearly flunked out. Questionable transcripts of students, such as Eric Bledsoe I believe. Agents and many other problems have been speculated.

When the NCAA comes down on Cal I'm curious if it might be something like not paying attention to NCAA practice rules. How many hours a day does Coach Cal's team really practice? Those 5 stars are put into a system where practice time is the most important element to fulfill Coach Cal's promise of preparation for the NBA. Many NCAA teams suffer because they can't get enough practice time and the students have to spend time on homework---see Baylor.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 7 months ago

I still think we should go after the best talent that is available. That's what we do as a top program. What program wouldn't want a guy like Shabazz..its ok to have someone with a scoring mentality as long as he can be taught defense as well. We can always have a "go to" guy as long as he's not the ONLY one to go to. IF Shabazz ends up making a visit here..then we will certainly have at least a chance.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Top talent is a no-brainer, as long as that talent fits with coach Self's idea that defense comes first and the offense has to work inside-out before anyone jacks up their own idea of a shot.

There are plenty of scorers around every year, not nearly so many who would be a net positive in the KU program. If a guy is highly rated in prep school because he looks after his own stats, the guy is a danger to a Div I team until he is broken of that attitude.

I'd rather have the coaches working on not 'letting the ball stick' and good position defense than psyching some glory hound to think outside of himself.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 7 months ago

..even more so if he decides to attend the KU vs Mizzou game!

FLJHK 2 years, 7 months ago

Great to see CT hitting some 3's again. Seems to me that when you rely on someone offensively just for the 3, it somehow puts extra pressure on. I'd like to see him diversify a bit. He's not a slasher, but seems he could use the ball fake and pull up for some occasional 17 footers. His stroke is sweet.

I'm not a great evaluator of D, but I love his effort on that end of the court. Obviously he's not blessed with TT-type quickness, (very few are) but I think he utilizes his skills very well.

This is truly a team of overachievers. None of us had reason to expect this good a team 3 months ago. Very little depth, fear of TRob fouls, no idea of what to expect from Withey, and the normal TT uncertainties among other concerns. But this team plays together as well as any; all have accepted new roles, TRob is the favorite for POY, TT is playing the point as well as anyone in the country, and what once seemed unthinkable accomplishments now seem plausible. CT deserves credit for his significant role in this wonderful ride.

2 years, 7 months ago

ict ~ your point about Jeremy Case brings to mind an interesting comparison of two other players. Does anyone remember John Crider? Gatorade state player of the year in 1998 from Horton, KS? He had insane stats his senior year of high school (31.3ppg 11.1rpg), and came to KU as a highly-touted shooting guard.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but one of his biggest deficiencies was playing defense - - the same thing I hear those who have seen Conner Frankamp play say about him. I am hopeful Coach Self’s system will teach him well when he arrives and things work out better for Conner than they did for John, and this comparison will be much ado about nothing.

2 years, 7 months ago

Good observation, konkey. Jeff Boschee came to KU the same year as Crider, and we already had Kenny Gregory and Ryan Robertson on the team. The following year, he would have been battling Luke Axtell and Kirk Hinrich for minutes as well.

While they all didn’t play the same position, it would have been tough for Crider to beat out those guys for playing time.

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

MacTeahan actually played pretty well overall against Baylor, even outside of shooting. Again, I'm not sure how he matches up with speedy perimeter shooters like Missouri has, I still contend he is too much of a liability against those guys, but I'm glad the he came out and hit some baskets.

If he can keep his shooting going, then he can at least nullify the baskets he gives up to Denmon, which in turn buys minutes of rest for the EJ-TT-TR rotation that Self seems to cycle through. So hopefully he keeps it rolling.

His name is Connor MacTeahan of the Clan MacTeahan, he is a Highlander born in the hills of Scotland, and he is immortal. There can be only one!

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Super solid posts today. I was very excited about this squad from the getgo, way back in October or before. Is pure enjoyment, watching them come together as a cohesive unit, constantly working off rough edges with different players rising to the occasion game after game. We are viewing sincere topnotch effort from our top 8 players. Gotta hope that Travis isn't unduly hobbled for upcoming contests. That Baylor victory served to display the Bill Self sytem in optimum performance. Two of our starters combine for 1 pt., only one bench player scores, yet we win over the #6 rated team in the country by double figures. WOW!

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

txrockchalk, I was brought up short yesterday by a poster who questioned my suggestion that both Perry Ellis and Conner Frankamp might be served well by attending summer camps wherein they might focus almost completely on defense, learning to move feet in such a way to insure that they make an immediate imprint on a Jayhawk starting lineup. Obviously, their h.s. offense is terrific (perhaps defense, too, for all I know). However, if they are to play optimum Bill Self basketball, they cannot get enough work on defense prior to arriving in Lawrence. I want to see both of those kids roaring into the program with full talents on display, from game one. BenMac and Jamari Traylor will look back someday to realize that, though temporarily derailed, they were blessed with this season of opportunity to polish their complete skills before hitting the game courts. If Merv Lidsay stays, I imagine that a redshirt season might be in his best interest in terms of future Jayhawk contribution, perhaps in the way of Releford.

2 years, 7 months ago

All good points, REHawk! Have you had a chance to check out the avatar jaybate made for you?

Pretty snazzy I must say. I was thinking about stealing it for myself :^)

2 years, 7 months ago

Glad you like it, drgnslayr! That is certainly more than good enough of a reason for me to retain the Shiner avatar :^)

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Simply amazing to watch the way Bill Self has maximized the potential for this year's squad. What a mightmare for opposing coaches, most of whom seem to think that stopping TT and T-Rob is the key to defeating this Jayhawk team. Then Jeff Withey or Travis Releford or Elijah rise to the occasion for a 20+ pt. game...or we squeeze just enough super contribution off a limited bench to thwart opposing gameplans. And through it all, Jayhawk defense reigns supreme. Yee-Haw! Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

By the photo above, it reminds me of a famous cookie.

By the photo above, it appears that the only person Baylor actually defended all night was Conner.

By the photo above, it appears Conner got a small inkling of what David felt facing Goliath.

By the photo above, if this was Roller Derby, Conner would have no chance of cutting off the jam.

By the photo above, the Baylor players are doing a nice job of demonstrating how New England defensive backs play pass protection.

By the photo above, "Red Rover, Red Rover, send Conner right over!!"

By the photo above, it appears Conner is being restrained from getting Brittney Griner's auotgraph.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Some of the conversation today has got me thinking, what if you could sit down with Coach Self and ask him anything. If you could assure him that it would never get out, that it was just between you and him, but you wanted to know __, what would you ask him?

And I'll save some of you the trouble of posting it now, "do you wear a rug?"

I'm actually curious as to the what more substantive questions you might ask, that he couldn't outright say to the press. Like:

"How much of you not scheduling MU in the future is you and how much is pressure from the league to not schedule the defectors?"

"What's the shadiest recruiting practice you've ever engaged in? Witnessed?"

And if you have suspected answers feel free to share them too.

justinryman 2 years, 7 months ago

Coach Self can you teach me and then hire me to be on your staff?

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

"Which coaches are actually the best pure coaches you have coached against? Disregard team talent, disregard recruiting, disregard everything but X's and O's, who is the best of the best?"

If I got two questions:

"Who is the dirtiest? Both ingame and after the clock is over. Dirty recruiter, dirty tactics, dirty lifestyle... Who?"

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Sure why not? No cap on the number of questions

Jack Wilson 2 years, 7 months ago

Coach Self: Question 1: Please tell me if Tharpe will be in the rotation next season and explain why/why not? Question 2: Is a player better prepared to be effective in the second half of the season if he is allowed to play through mistakes, or if the focus is on learning in practice and minimal play time? Explain. Question 3: Please tell me everything that was said and/or done that led you to believe that Selby would be here for his sophomore season, including dates. Question 4: Same question for Markieff regarding his senior season. Question 5: Please tell me why you do not strategically use of a full or 3/4 court press. Question 6: Do "stars" matter in recruiting? Explain. Question 7: Why do you, at the end of both halves, spread the floor and let Tyshawn, or Sherron, or Langford, etc., go one on one vs. picking one of your best set plays to try to get a bucket? Question 8: How do you run off players when a scholarship is needed? Question 9: Multiple Brady Morningstar questions with too many follow-ups. Biggest one. Why did you play Brady at the expense of others in 09-10, 22 minutes per game leading up to UNI, only to play him 8 minutes that game? Question 10: Do you regret not treating Tyshawn like other players over his career when he made mistakes -- meaning benching him; letting him learn in practice; quick hook; etc.? Question 11: Have you made mistakes in coaching in the past 3 years (since I've never heard you admit one)? If so, please explain your top 5. Question 12: I know you have been very clear on this in the past, but do you still think that HEM is the most informed poster at kusports.com? Are you still considering him as an assistant for 12-13 season?

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Of all the posters, you were the one I most wanted to see questions from! Nice list, other than maybe question 12. I think you've been lapped by longtimehawkfan and/or mizzoubest. LOL

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

"Coach, what's Danny Manning really like?"

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Perses, you have made my point emphatically. That is precisely what "any coach" but the very smartest has done...or is likely to do. Corraling TT and T-Rob might have worked for the Dukies, early in the season, before we began to get the entire boot buffed and polished. But now? That Missouri game showed us that we've the ingredients to be $h.tkickin' good. In a 5 game playoff series, I've got a feeling that only Syracuse and Kentucky could win 3 or 4 games against our gang of last season's bench + one. Yeeee-Haw! Rock Chalk!

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to leave your topic for a moment, ict. Coach, what are your plans for Naadir Tharpe next season? Or, it it too early yet to decide with any degree of certainty on that issue?

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Okay, okay, I plan to check out the avatar which jb has designed for me. If phallic, it's gotta be good and desirable. I'd have created an avatar for myself long ago, but I'm too electronically impaired to copy and paste, much less download with any sense of direction. I approach these iron beasts with the trepidation of your average septuagenarian, very warily. I'll probably need help to nudge the image into proper place.

FOGBALL 2 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to drift away, but I just read the article about Duke's lack of attendance. What's wrong with THIS picture - 9300 seats, top ten team and they can't even fill the arena. Plus tv coverage is kept out of range of the empties. Since I'm a long term KU fan, I naturally hate Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke. But I got to give some credit to the NC fan for writing the article!

Steve Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

Oak you were gone by '72 right, I do suspect JBate was there.

KU’s 1952 NCAA title team will be honored at halftime of Saturday’s KU-OSU game. To commemorate the 60-year anniversary of the crown.

It was a winter night, we showed up early to get the best seats at AFH about 4pm and always a guess which doors on the north side they would open first. Unfair if they opened the center doors as we always ran to sit right behind coach Owens or in big games sit on top row of student section right behind the team. This game in '72 a bunch of masking tape was on our benches that read "reserved" we said who the heck those belong to us, but we honored it not wanting to be kicked out and upstairs. We settled in for our normal game of chess, watched as Phog grandson (was it Mitch) came to join us as always, and Zeigelman, Ellsworth other UDK J students and then the '52 Olympic 20 yr. reunion team waltzed in, boy those guys looked old. Yes, boys that is the night Stallworth went off for 50 against a highly favored Mizzou. Kept us from a losing season at AFH, I recall that win kept us at 8-8 at home. Everytime MU shot a free throw I can still recall our section put a star trek mind meld cone over the rim as they continued to bounce free throws, clank off the rim.......What nice memories .....Okay I admit it, I have no memory of yesterday but I can see clearly everything about that game, the cheerleaders, the refs. Jim Bain and the little one, Bain always made Norm win on the road.... the pep band, the crowd, the reverant rock chalk chant, less the 'whooo', and our feelings of wonder why the old alumns can't get off their arses and stand up as we stood up the whole game. let the chain be unbroken. Max F. we miss you and we look back with gratitude and forward with hope, RCJHGKU!

Beautiful light, lighthawk!

Kudos.

Cantkeepagooddudedown 2 years, 7 months ago

Gary...

You have to realize the pulse of the fans that hang out here. Most of them have gotten to that point where they are convinced since he's not going to go 5 for 5 every game that he's pretty much worthless... you know, since that's all he's on the team to do.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Here you are hanging out

KansasComet 2 years, 7 months ago

Teahan can play at this level. It is just that his skill set shines him in a poor light when his shot is not falling. There is definitely a role for him on this team. He made some important buckets in the last game. We need more of that from him.