Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Contracts reveal KU football assistants’ pay

According to information obtained by the Journal-World through the Freedom of Information Act, the total salary for Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis’ assistant coaches almost matches the total of the head coach himself.

Led by a $500,000 annual salary for defensive coordinator Dave Campo, the total value of the contracts for Weis’ nine assistants and one strength and conditioning director reaches $2.2 million. Weis will be paid $2.5 million per year.

“These salaries really follow the national trend,” said KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger of the two-year contracts given to Weis’ staff.

Campo, who comes to Kansas having served as both the head coach and the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, is by far Weis’ highest paid assistant. Despite the high price tag — the highest paid assistant salary on former coach Turner Gill’s staff was $350,000 to offensive coordinator Chuck Long — Campo falls well within the national range, considering coordinators across the country make anywhere from $200,000 to more than $1 million per year.

The salaries, though put together largely by Weis, ultimately were approved by Zenger, who said he believed the coaches in place and the salaries they command represent good fits for Weis and KU.

“I was really impressed by the way coach Weis put his staff together,” Zenger said. “The forethought and research that went into how he assembled the pieces of the puzzle was intriguing, and I’m extremely pleased with the outcome.”

After Campo, the next highest paid coach on Weis’ staff is wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, Rob Ianello, who was with Weis at Notre Dame and also served as the head coach of Akron. Ianello is scheduled to make $300,000 annually.

Turner Gill holdovers Reggie Mitchell (running backs) and Buddy Wyatt (defensive line) fall next at $250,000 each, followed by former KU assistant Clint Bowen (special teams) at $200,000, DeMontie Cross (linebackers) at $175,000, Notre Dame alums Tim Grunhard (offensive line) and Ron Powlus (quarterbacks) at $150,000 apiece, strength coach Scott Holsopple at $125,000, and Jeff Blasko, KU’s tight ends coach who was with Weis at Florida, who will make $100,000.

In addition to the annual salaries, each coach receives a car paid for by Kansas Athletics, Inc., and is offered a membership to Lawrence Country Club. The assistants also are entitled to up to six tickets for all home and away games, up to 15 tickets for any postseason football games and two tickets apiece to all home men’s and women’s basketball games.

The Journal-World also obtained the salaries for Adam Sitter, KU’s director of high school relations, and Scott Vestal, KU’s assistant director of football operations. Sitter and Vestal both will make $75,000 annually.

Each will receive a car but not the country club membership.

Comments

gardenjay 2 years, 5 months ago

So, Adam and Scott, it looks like you will not be at the exclusive country club, but you still need to hang with the staff at work.

I really think this sort of posting of salaries and benefits breeds ill-will myself. Really, should you go around at work brooding and fuming about someone who gets more, and sometimes not deservedly so? No. Life is not fair. Country Clubs can go jump off a cliff. Yuck.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

You're fortunate. I've seen plenty of sulking for promotions not received.

Robert Brock 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, at Kansas, you rack up a losing record, and a few years later - you're fired!

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunately, that's about all the life a CFB coach has. How many hours a day, week do they work?

Eric Dawson 2 years, 5 months ago

It's their choice.

And they are well paid for it, much more per year than I ever made in my career despite my being expected to be available 24/7.

All things considered, I won't be crying any tears because they have to work all those hours.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

And to think I've been coaching KU for the last 45 years for free........

kureader 2 years, 5 months ago

... and you're still overpaid.

lol. But, another good post by nuleaf.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

lol - now THAT's funny kureader. Wish I would have thought of that. Too busy coming up with inbounds plays for tonights game, I guess.

kerbyd 2 years, 5 months ago

Really nuleaf, they could at least give you $ as a consultant!

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

"Each will receive a car but not the country club membership."

Dude, that is just a hillarious statement to end the article on. I love it.

No country club membership for you!

Oh well, take a hike, country club membership Nazi.

Steve Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

double the salaries and they all are still a bargain.

Life on the road, long hours and grueling work out in public with a 1,000 critics.

Everyone of these guys is a value to us, hope they get bowl incentives.

danmoore 2 years, 5 months ago

And they live like nomads. Average coach probably moves about every *three years.

*No stats to back this up

jayhawkinoregon 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm actually I little surprised that salaries for the assistants aren't higher. I hope if this group puts a competitive team on the field Charlie has the budget to give some healthy raises. Keep a good group together long enough to return KU to a consistently high level of play.

John Reher 2 years, 5 months ago

I would just like to say that I will happily take the $75,000 and the car if Coach Weiss needs another staff member!

chalky 2 years, 5 months ago

The catch 22..a good year, and we lose Campo.