Kansas defeats Belmont, 89-60

• 6 p.m., Dec. 15, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Andrew White III catches fire, helps KU torch Belmont

Kansas guard Andrew White signals "three" as he heads back on defense against Belmont during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self on KU's big win over Belmont

KU coach Bill Self talks about what went right during Saturday night's convincing victory over Belmont.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Belmont

Andrew White III has put on some remarkable three-point shooting displays during Kansas University’s basketball practices.

“I’ve seen him make six or seven in a row (in scrimmage situations), so that didn’t really surprise me tonight,” KU senior point guard Elijah Johnson said after White, KU’s freshman shooting guard/small forward, exploded for a career-high 15 points off 6-of-8 shooting — 3-of-5 from three — while playing just 10 minutes in the Jayhawks’ 89-60 battering of Belmont on Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He’s getting better with putting the ball on the floor and actually making a situation, if he has to take a one-dribble pull-up or a floater,” Johnson added. “I’m happy for Drew. He is soaking up the experience more than probably a lot of freshmen right now.”

White, who actually was used as a 6-foot-6 power forward against undersized Belmont, scored five straight points for KU the first half as KU opened a 39-25 lead with a minute left. The margin expanded to 44-28 by the break.

White iced back-to-back threes to go with seven straight points from Travis Releford to push the lead to 85-46 in the late going.

The 15 points scored surpassed White’s previous career high of eight set seven days earlier versus Colorado.

“Oh, yeah, he goes down. Sometimes coach gets onto him,” Johnson said of the highly-recruited Richmond, Va., native sometimes being knocked to the canvas emotionally his freshman season. “Today coach got onto him at shoot-around. Drew held his head up. He came out here and did what he did tonight. That shows a lot about him.”

Seated in the interview room with Releford (17 points, five rebounds, four assists) and Ben McLemore (17 points, 6-7 shooting), White played down his own performance.

“This is just one game,” White said. “I’ve been working in practice every day trying to progress as quick as I can. It’s always good to have a good scoring game, but this is a long season.

“I try not to be selfish. I’m not a selfish teammate,” White added. “I have two pro talents playing in front of me right now (McLemore and Releford), so I just do what I have to do every day to learn something or pick something up from them and the coaches and try to progress. You have to realize as a freshman sometimes that it’s not your year to be the man, so I’m just trying to contribute to the whole team.”

Self liked the look of White as an undersized 4-man.

“I’ve been saying we were going to do that, but we haven’t done it, play him at the 4 and have him be a pick-and-pop 4,” Self said. “That’s what happened tonight. He made a couple of threes by doing that, and then he was aggressive after that. He can really shoot the ball. Nobody in our gym has a better attitude than Andrew, and I haven’t given him much of a chance to play. I thought he was really good tonight.”

Self added: “There’s no way Belmont would know he can shoot because statistically he hasn’t yet (4-for-10 from three entering the game, 37.5 percent shooter overall). Hopefully he can be a guy we go to in each half and add to what we are doing. If you do play him, it doesn’t allow them to clog the middle like they did around Jeff so much because it stretches it out. With Perry (Ellis) or Jamari (Traylor) or Kevin (Young) in there, they didn’t leave the lane. That could be another weapon for us hopefully moving forward.”

Jeff Withey was a fourth Jayhawk to score in double figures with 14 points, five blocks and four rebounds. Self said the player of the game was senior point Johnson, who had seven points, nine assists and just one turnover. Johnson has been slowed the past month or so by knee problems.

“I thought he controlled the game,” Self said. “I am really liking his health right now. It seems to me he is so much more explosive and faster than he was earlier. He still has a long way to go to improve and to know how to utilize all the talent and players around him, but I think he’s made more strides than anyone over the last two or three weeks.”

KU held mid-major Belmont to miserable 34.4 percent shooting, just eight of 38 from three. KU hit 50.8 percent of its shots, including 10 of 21 from three.

“I thought we played pretty well,” Self said. “Our defense was good. We shared the ball, for the most part. I was pleased with our defensive effort and ball movement.”

KU (8-1) will meet Richmond at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Allen.

Comments

brooksmd 4 years, 7 months ago

"You have to realize as a freshman sometimes that it’s not your year to be the man, so I’m just trying to contribute to the whole team.” Keep that thought and attitude AWIII. Your time will come before you know it.

Andy Godwin 4 years, 7 months ago

I wish Rio Adams demonstrated that same mentality. His body language was very telling last night, especially when he was passed over and Roberts went in before him. When Rio finally got in, he showed no interest in playing with the "red team" which by the way played very poorly (ended the game on a 0-12 run). Unless he adopts Andrew philosophy on and off the court (you gain opportunities by working your butt of at practice and that defense comes first), I think KU will have only one point guard with any experience next year. Adams has great physical talent and should learn from Elijah and Travis that you can be very successful at KU under Self if you practice hard and show some patience. Your time will come.

truthfan 4 years, 7 months ago

I follow Adams on Twitter he made comments on there that lead me to believe he won't be back after Christmas break I believe he is gone. If you watched him on the bench he did not want to be there nor did he care what was happening never got up to cheer with the rest of the team and walked away from the huddle

tical523 4 years, 7 months ago

His attitude looked bad enough last night where that seems very possible, what a shame if he gives up an opportunity of ten thousand lifetimes.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

I went and looked at Adams' tweets .. here's one that stood out from yesterday:

"That feeling when you getting over looked and your not needed where you are ------ a lot of confusion."

I would be interested if there are any other comments that would imply transfer. While those comments aren't positive, it's hard (I'd say) to say those equal transfer.

It would surprise me if he left at semester. It would not surprise me if he left at the end of the season, given the talent we have coming in, and depending upon where he is in the pecking order at the end of the season.

truthfan 4 years, 7 months ago

In the past he has made some comments that hint to his unhappiness I hope I'm wrong I think he has a ton of potential. Way more than Tharp Imo

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 7 months ago

Rio could supplant Tharpe if he kept his head and attitude where they need to be...if not, Self has a 2nd scholly to use. I think he has the talent but talent and potential ain't s*** if your head is up a body cavity. As for next year..Conner will get experience under fire maybe sooner than expected but he's the next KU PG anyways.

Curtis Stutz 4 years, 7 months ago

He is a college freshman, so let's not get too down on him for being frustrated (which is what he appears to be) at the moment. He's got great leaders on this team to go to, heck he's even got senior leadership on this team that has transferred in and I'm sure guys that considered transferring out. Hopefully the KU family shines and 'Rio gets a boost from the extra practice time over the next few weeks. He obviously bought into the defensive effort earlier on so we know he's capable of working incredibly hard if he puts his mind to it. Hopefully things are working out well in the classroom also.

Michael Bennett 4 years, 7 months ago

it's a play on the New Kids On the Block song. But yeah, it doesn't work here...

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 7 months ago

I thought it was a play on the movie about the original astronauts... Guess I'm showing my age.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm pretty sure that was the intended reference actually

RJ King 4 years, 7 months ago

Most fans seem concerned about the emergence of a true power forward and to a lesser degree (?) a true point, but the emerging talent affording custom line-ups is exciting.

LAJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

It seems like every single season Bill Self finds a way to surprise me with brilliance. He plays and plays and plays until he finds something that works well.

Really, really well.

It astounds me how he can consistently look at his ingredients and find a Cordon Blue, award-winning recipe.

Over and over.

He doesn't just stick to what has worked in the past. He is amazingly fluid year after year in mixing it up based on the talent he has and finding a way to win. It's really incredible.

Maybe one of these years it'll stop surprising me. But I hope not. :-)

hawk316 4 years, 7 months ago

Very well stated, LAJay. We truly have one of the very best in Coach Self.

lawerencejayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Andrew White III - 10 mins in the Belmont game. 5 minutes in the first half, 5 minutes in the second half equals 15 points. 20 minutes might give him 30.

AWIII - good coming out party!

Go Jayhawks

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

Calling Comet, calling Kansas Comet, Andrew White III just broke through from the 4. This was a big 10 minutes. A trey shooting 4...Markieff II...this can open the middle for Jeff AND the wings.

Maybe time for AW3 to grow in Self units to 6-7 230 lbs.

Michael Luby 4 years, 7 months ago

If that happens, AWIII would be a #1 pick in the NBA draft.
Im overjoyed that Coach has found him another offensive and defensive weapon. Our team keeps getting better and better, and deeper.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

jb .. seems as the info trickles out, EJ has been hobbled all season. Good call on that early.

zsn 4 years, 7 months ago

I hope they find that vial of the "JRGidden-itis* vaccine" and inoculate AWIII and BMac ASAP. Don't want these guys to come down with the disease the same way it came down on Xavier and Selby!

*It is that dreaded disease where an extremely athletic and gifted player resorts to spotting up in corners and jacking threes, even when driving lanes are clearly open. Yes, they left you open for a reason!

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 7 months ago

NO..these guys are made of different stuff the Giddens. Giddens reveled being the next great Jayhawk and look where it got him. These guys seem much more grounded.

monkeehawkSL8 4 years, 7 months ago

X Henry had made up his mind (with his dad) before he got to Kansas that he was not going to get hurt. Early in the season Xavier made the "mother ships" top 10 list jumping over a player as X attempted to block a shot. After that I do not recall him ever going to the hole to "throw down the rock" though he was more than capable. The concern with AW111 is that he needs to let the offense run before he launches. Several of his shots were taken quickly. The first two went in helping him avoid the "hook". "Life is so different than it is in our dreams". I thought Tom Waits wrote that in one of his songs, he did, but I have also heard in a movie. It was sad to see A.Adams "mop dope" on saturday. He has hit the wall of reality that plagues so many. I love hearing about the success stories when other Hawk players came to this point, get it, grow up and make it. Rio, the best life has to offer in this world is always worked for. Don't quit. You may want to consider staying off social media sites. Jayhawk nation wants to see you succeed beyond your dreams.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

HEM,

Thanks. I still get a few right, but you're carrying the mail.

KansasComet 4 years, 7 months ago

Andrew White III, has a chance to be special! Thanks!

Michael Luby 4 years, 7 months ago

Im gonna be at the Richmond game! I cant wait. Its my first game in AFH since Roy was in office. #Psyched

Did anyone else get their game stepped on by college football? I recorded the game so I dont know how much of it actually got on there but how annoying is that? Stupid football keeping me from seeing the royalty of college basketball.

Rob Keeney 4 years, 7 months ago

Yeah that red field was burning my eyes. 4th quarter had just started when our game was about to tip. Fortunately I could watch on ESPN3-WatchESPN via the Xbox.

REHawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm sitting over here in Missery Land, 30 miles outside the KC televised viewing area. Missed the first 11 or 12 minutes of the game because of ESPNU football. ESPN FullCourt package did not kick in to show the game for those outside KS and TN. A real bummer.

jhawkchuck 4 years, 7 months ago

I watched it in Tx and they showed the first part on ESPNNEWS.

REHawk 4 years, 7 months ago

SuperCorona, I am electronically impaired. What's the cheapest X-box system available, and how easy is it to hook up? Living in a fairly remote area, I do not yet get high speed internet. Does that impact the availability of ESPN3?

dylans 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes. To watch programming on the Xbox requires high speed Internet to transfer all of that data fast enough. You can also watch espn3 on your computer (it's really just espn3.com there is no channel just a web site).

jayhawkeratheart 4 years, 7 months ago

REHawk, you will have to have high speed internet to be able to watch the games on ESPN 3. The streaming factor for the game relies on high speed. Depending on what part of the country you live in, there are several options to get the high speed, without much trouble. Check out Stelera.com and see if your area is available. It's a great source and works wirelessly, and supports one LAN output, but does not work through an additional router. Other options are DSL, Cable, Satellite, and even the updated Android phones will work. Hope this helps, Rock Chalk

REHawk 4 years, 7 months ago

dylans and jayhawkeratheart, thanks for your replies and suggestions. I have been using a Verizon internet card, but the tower is distant and over an imposing hill. Might have to go back to a CenturyLink landline connection, which I understand now offers high speed service in my backwoods residential area.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 7 months ago

With the inability to give this man a profoundly appropriate musical introduction, I would just like to say I have been patiently waiting for this event to takeplace. Man I like this 4 small with windex in the middle lineup.Yet we know it won't cut it vs Xtreme muscle ball as JB would say. Andrew is way too small at the 4 to man up on a Deshaun Thomas, but I have been salivating to see him get more minutes before conf season starts. This is a young man whom many in CBB think has the best shooting stroke of any freshman in the game. Me too. But no matter how much any of us like the trey, HCBS will not be a happy camper if the ball movement is not there and the quick shot is. That can get pine time almost as swiftly as poor performance in the defending aspect of the game, & we all know Bill has quite limited patience with freshman. As long as we can play lockdown with Travis and Mr Withey, AWIII should consistently get more on the floor. Plus I would be remiss if I didn't give a boxcar load of credit to the quality of defensive pressure that EJ, Mac, & KY are administering in the major beatdowns that have taken place the past 2 times out. It appears as their conditioning & endurance is finally getting up to snuff, because this doesn't even look like the same bunch of guys to me that we watched against MSU & others. There just may be a rematch in the offing vs Izzo. So get out the litmus for OSU men, that will be a good indicator of the progress they've truly made to that point, & they're still stinging fom the E8 loss in March. Is it just me or do Bill's teams always seem to evolve like this in December?

FarSideHawk 4 years, 7 months ago

They always do! Each year Bill plays them down saying they are no where near how good last year's team was, and boom in December/January they become that team. Once the light comes on for Perry Ellis, this team will go from very good to Elite level. It's coming soon!

Ben Simonett 4 years, 7 months ago

White at the 4 is a bad idea. We'll lose on the boards. He's to small to bang with the other front courts of the big 12

dylans 4 years, 7 months ago

What happened to your awesome avatar?

tical523 4 years, 7 months ago

Rebounding is attitude, and AWIII has the best. Dennis Rodman and Charles Barkley were not big guys but the determination to rebound was huge. If Bill tells him to rebound his butt off I have a feeling he will fight for them. He is big enough in height and bulk to rebound if he wants to.

Steven Mathew 4 years, 7 months ago

I also think AWIII needs to stay at the 3. If he has the right mentality like everyone is saying here, then he will work on the necessary skills to thrive at the 3. Nobody knows if he wants to go to the NBA, but if he does, it's gonna have to be at the 2 or 3. Might as well as keep him there. We have enough bodies to play at the 4. The only exception for him to play at the 4 are when we need shooters on the court.

LAJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

You need to realize that no one is talking about AW3 playing the 4 for 30 minutes a game. This would be for 5, maybe 10 minutes max, just to mix it up. It gives an extra dimension depending on who we are playing. If we're up against a team with a couple of footers, or quick forwards that are 6-9 or 6-10 and are capable of playing inside-out, chances are very slim that Self would go this route. However, when you are playing a smaller line up like yesterday, this option makes a great deal more sense. Or just in small spurts to throw off the opposing defense.

No one is talking about putting him at the 4 full time. Opposing teams would quickly adapt to that.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 7 months ago

I happen to agree if its for more than a rest time for Ellis & KY. White will be a starter next year at either the 2 or 3.

jaybate 4 years, 7 months ago

"Its only situational/ And I like it, like it/ Yes, I do." --Sung to the tune of "Its Only Rock and Roll" by the Stones

bradynsdad 4 years, 7 months ago

He is a freshman who just doesn't understand yet. Even when he got in last night he made two out of control plays. He was putting some concerning stuff on twitter yesterday. The kid has the talent and athletic ability to be great he just needs to learn through the process. If he does than he will easily be a 20 to 25 minute player next year.

Ben Simonett 4 years, 7 months ago

with the back court we have coming in there very little chance adams gets 20 mins/game next year.

He'd be smart to x-fer because his position got talented upgraded big time with this recruiting class

Kye Clark 4 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. I would hate to lose a talent like that. That's a great suggestion, to have past players come and visit with him. You'd think Releford would be able to get through to him given his career arc, but who knows?

Boouk 4 years, 7 months ago

We don't need him next season with Frankamp, Tharpe, and Mason at PG. Just watch Anrio shoot a basketball and then watch Frankamp shoot. Anrio transferring after this season would probably be best for KU so they can use that scholarship on the recruiting trail next year and land a recruit who'll have a much bigger positive impact during his time at KU than Anrio will have as 3rd or 4th string PG. I love Anrio defensively, but you can't win when your PG turns it over at a high rate, is a bad passer, and can't make a shot outside of 15 feet.

Kye Clark 4 years, 7 months ago

Boouk - couldn't disagree with you more. Self loathes playing freshman. He only does so under one of two circumstances: 1) he is forced to. This was the case in the '08-'09 season. 2) they're talent is overwhelmingly better than those in front of them. Think...um. Xavier maybe? Think about EJ & Releford. They are obviously far superior athletes to Brady Morningstar & Tyrel Reed, but they had to sit behind them because Self values those familiar with the system. Those he can count on to be in the right spot. So Self will have two freshman, Frankamp & Mason, who will be struggling to find playing time. If Rio can suck it up and put in the work, he'd easily be ahead of both of them (shooting or not, which watching someone shoot in high school is not the same as watching them shoot at an elite D-1 program).

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

ict - you know Self.

Assuming McLemore departs, would a 5 man perimeter rotation of Tharpe, Adams, White and the best 2 of either Selden/Frankamp/Greene, surprise anyone? With the 3rd of the 3 being a bench guy with Mason?

Boouk 4 years, 7 months ago

If McLemore declares for the draft, I'm thinking a perimeter rotation of Tharpe and Mason at PG with Frankamp playing both G spots and White, Selden, and Greene at SG and SF.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

That might be one too many .. I could see your scenario maybe minus Mason. There is really no reason to think Mason would be even near ready.

Boouk 4 years, 7 months ago

Self seemed to like Mason though. He said Mason's really quick and has deep range from 3. I think Mason could be a good surprise.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

slayer -- "the only question I have for Rio is: His frustration is showing... is he using that emotion to motivate himself to work harder to elevate his game?"

+1. That, my friend, is the key question. And we know what answer will lead him to greater things.

Boouk 4 years, 7 months ago

Ict, Anrio obviously has more talent than Frankamp and Mason, but since he's tweeting that he's getting overlooked and he's undeniably not even close to being good enough to be in the rotation of a team with final 4 aspirations, I'm hoping he either apologizes and quits hurting our team or he and his horrible attitude leave this team soon. His moping and complaining isn't going to help this team win games, and he's clearly to raw offensively to earn any meaningful minutes. If Anrio quits doing stupid stuff like that and improves his attitude, passing, and shooting, he'll turn into a really good player. However, transferring obviously appears to be a much more likely scenario at this point.

Kye Clark 4 years, 7 months ago

I think he meant he is more athletically gifted. He's taller & longer, probably has better leaping ability, and is probably quicker. And that includes Frankamp. I'm not saying that's everything, but those are things you can't teach, and we know Self covets that.

Boouk 4 years, 7 months ago

By talent I mean upside. Adams is taller, longer, quicker, and more athletic. Have you seen Adams on defense? If his passing and shooting vastly improves over the offseason he'll be our best PG next season, despite Frankamp's shooting.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 7 months ago

I had to go back and see how many freshmen started for HCBS and counting BMac (redshirt freshman) this is the list I came up with:

Xavier Henry, Tyshawn Taylor, Julian Wright, Brandon Rush, Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur & Josh Selby,

Not all players started from game one or were still starting at the end of the season but all did start at some point. When looking at all the recruits we've had who were easily starters on other teams, I'd say that it's quite an accomplishment to be on this list.

LAJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Tyrel Reed and RussRob come to mind as two guards who sat quite a bit with disappointing freshman season to eventually go on to become HUGE integral parts of our program. Without RussRob there is zero chance we hang another banner.

It's a shame, when you are 18-19 it is often so hard to see the bigger picture. Agree, though, I hope he flips this attitude around. He could be very big down the line....

RJ King 4 years, 7 months ago

When Russell was homesick and wanting to transfer, his mother was not in favor. She said something along the lines of, "in order to become a tree, you first have to put down some roots." That same year, my out-of-state daughter was also lonely and second guessing her college decision - talking about junior college, then a UC school. I said, "yes but, if you keep starting over, then you just keep starting over."

I hope Rio has someone back home who can help him see that effort and patience could be a win-win for both himself and KU. But if not, he would sit out a year, get academics in order, and then perhaps star in a Pac 12 program like U-Dub, or for a WCC team like Portland or Gonzaga. Self would do his masterful job of patching together another winning team, and another scholarship would open up.

I'm just glad that when Tyshawn expressed similar confusion over his role it came with a happy ending.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

Great advice .. you have to give things time. Whatever it is in life.

Kye Clark 4 years, 7 months ago

Boouk - you're changing your tune. You say nothing about his attitude in your original post, instead criticizing his shooting ability and turnover rate. It just sounds like you don't like him as a player and aren't rooting for him to succeed.

As for your most recent complaints, is he hurting the team? I mean, the last 2 games we've played about as well as anyone could hope. So to me, if he is having issues it isn't affecting anyone else on the team. I agree he needs to snap out of it if he's down, but remember RussRob? He was the same way his freshman year. He was hating life in Lawrence. Anyone glad he didn't just pack it up to make room for a more talented recruit? You're right, he's raw, but he has physical tools you can't teach. Like Tyshawn. He's tall, long, quick. Those alone make him salvageable.

I would also disagree with your "undeniably" and "clearly" claims. This goes back to debates that rage on this board every year. The quick hook. Rio comes in, makes a mistake, doesn't see the court again. Last year it was Tharpe. I don't think it's undeniable or clear that he couldn't play in the rotation. If Tharpe were to go down to injury and Self gave Rio a little more rope, I think he'd do just fine.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 7 months ago

I'd also be plenty POed if Roberts went in before me. However, I'm sure there is a reason. Self is a master at this kind of thing.

Jonathan Even 4 years, 7 months ago

The announcers said that Self had mentioned previously that he wanted to try this. This isn't the same situation as when we were using Releford and Little at the 4 because we didn't have any other options. By putting White at the 4, with his skills as a shooter, it opens up the floor. They can't double Withey and there is more space for the other guards to drive it. We'll probably only see White at the 4 against smaller lineups.

Kye Clark 4 years, 7 months ago

I had posted some quick hits in the post-game discussion, but can't find that article now. This seems to be the "main" game article, just wondering where the in-game comments & post-game discussion comments went. Anyway:

1. Did Matt do the in-game coverage because Jesse knew he'd whiffed by predicting KU to win by only 2?

2. KU fans sure are spoiled. Complaining about not getting 100 points, the walk-ons coming in too early, the order the walk-ins came off the bench, and the lack of production by the walk-ons. I posted this at the end of the game, but you can bet the rotation players take more pride in putting the game away early enough to allow the "red team" to get some court time than they do about getting to 100 points.

3. Related to the walk-ons, while I don't care about their order coming off the bench, you know Rio must be in the doghouse when Niko gets in the game before him.

4. And related to Rio, Tharpe looked pretty good last night. He still got used a bit on defense (first Belmont possession with Naadir out there his guy blew by him on the dribble), but offensively he separated himself even more from Adams last night.

5. Love seeing EJ returning more & more to the form he had last season.

6. Obviously it was great to see AW3 having the success he did last night. He obviously won't always be able to get minutes at the 4, but it's a good weapon to have, and hopefully he can still get some here & there at the 3.

7. Seth Greenberg is truly awful to listen to. And this despite liking the running theme of focusing the attention on Perry Ellis whenever he was in the game.

8. Speaking of Perry, he's getting there. It wasn't the breakout game many were predicting/hoping for, but I thought he played well. He looked good in his post moves, took shots when he should have and passed when he should have, the shots just didn't fall. Had a couple more shots dropped, the perception of how well he played last night would have been different.

9. Is there a better combo on the wings than BMac & Travis? I can't think of any. Those two are impressive!

10. Withey...2 fouls? Go run steps again. j/k..

11. Love the fact that we don't have to wait another week to see these guys in action. RCJHGKU!

wrwlumpy 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm very concerned. Tyler played more than Rio. Not eveone can play for Self. He's tough and those players who can handle tough have more fun than any team in the country. Suck it up. Frustration is a downward spiral. Go talk to him again EJ.

Give AWIII 15 minutes next game. Ellis is on the right track now. Defense is now keeping him on the floor for more minutes and he is in attack mode. Good moves and even though he missed some bunnies he is a scorer that will be given more time on the court than KY got last year. He will still be the first off the bench.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

Now we'll see.

-Skill: It's an obvious answer -- what KU player is the best 3 point shooter? Right, White. What has been our most obvious "skill" that we have been lacking? Right, White. See, White is synonymous with three point shooting. You can use the terms interchangeably. ReHawk posted some stats last week on our poor three point shooting. This "skill" is exactly what this team needs to be great.

-Other Skills: Don't think AW3 is a one trick pony. One other thing the young man brings to the court is length. Finger tip to finger tip, he's long. I thought ict or someone else posted that his wingspan is 6'11". Wouldn't doubt it. He can rebound. And he has some skill driving to the hoop .. witness the tear-drop last night. Everything can feed of his shooting (and the threat of him shooting). Individually and as a team.

-Vs. Traylor: Traylor is a different type of player. But really, how much bigger is he than White? Length-wise, I think White's longer. Traylor is not a big guy in the post. He's not near the frame of TRob as some compare. He's not Marcus or Markieff. He doesn't have wide shoulders. Perry Ellis is bigger at 225. Traylor is listed at 6-8 .. but he's 6-7. White is a true 6-6. Traylor weighs 10 more pounds than White (supposedly). But I will say this, White is a much better player. White is a different player.

-Matchups: Yesterday, before the game, I posted this "However, going with a lineup of say EJ, McLemore, Releford, White, and Ellis, might be worth it for a bit." That's not rocket science, right? We're playing a smaller team. I like AW3. You'd expect that from me. But let's think big picture. One thing that I have mentioned many times is playing MU ball (from last season). Have a post player -- one true post -- then go small with 4 true perimeter players. We saw this last night. Are Bennybob and globaljaybird right that White's too small to bang with big 4s? Sure. Think about AW3 guarding Thomas Robinson. Uh, no. But I would suggest that this problem would present itself far less frequently than you might think.

-Think MU: How much trouble did we have with MU last season, match-up wise? Think nightmare. We could not defend English. White is English (but a better shooter). Teams would have to adjust to us. But look, Self isn't going to make this our starting lineup? Right? Tell me this .. how does a conventional team guard what we did last night with Andrew White? How does a true 4 keep up with that? We can create the match-up problems.

(cont)

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

(cont) -Think 2013/14: Some of this smaller lineup stuff could be a window into 2013/14. What will our best lineup look like next season? Do we put inferior players on the floor solely because of positioning -- Traylor, Lucas? Or do we get our best players on the floor? Barring a Randle miracle, post scoring will be even more of an issue next season. Compensate? My first thought is that Self would never make it our main lineup, but why not for bigger doses? Winning is what matters. He wants to win. He wins. He will do what it takes to win.

-Minutes: It's easy. Traylor becomes the "emergency only" post player. EJ, McLemore, and Releford play 30 minutes each on the perimeter. That leaves 30 minutes available for Tharpe and White to split. If starters play more, or Tharpe, then White could steal say 5-8 minutes at the 4 if we go small in stretches. The minutes are there. Traylor plays basically an emergency only role in the post -- fouls, etc.

-Caution (version 1): Ok, what are the odds White doesn't even play meaningful minutes on Tuesday? Right, pretty high. It is life under coach Self. Don't be surprised. But the boulder is rolling downhill here. That's good.

-Caution (version 2): White will have poor shooting stretches. Expect it. Embrace it. Because there's a 5 of 6 streak lurking there .. perhaps more than in any other player in recent KU history.

-Caution (version 3): He's still a freshman. He'll make boneheaded plays. He'll get burnt on defense. His defense is adequate .. not wildly smooth feet. He'll maybe snag 2 quick fouls reaching, or something. Don't be surprised. It's a work in progress.

-Caution (version 4): Allen Fieldhouse ain't Ames, it isn't Stillwater, it's not Manhattan -- and it sure as heck isn't some regional site trying to survive a mid-major, or other NCAA challenge. Pressure. Environment. Self has to get White meaningful time on the road in big games, to let him fail .. to let him go 1-6 from 3. To let him experience the pressure. It will make him better. It will make him ready. First test, Columbus, Ohio. Play the kid.

-Caution (version 5): Expectations. I'll say it now. Assuming playing time is there, he will go down as the greatest three point shooter in KU history. Boschee's 338 are on the radar. So I violated what I was cautioning against. Guilty.

REHawk 4 years, 7 months ago

The progression of AW3 certainly adds an aura of excitement to Jayhawk hoops viewing. I was startled last night to see him assuming the 4 position for a spell against the height-impaired Belmont squad. Sure does give Thad Matta something to think about for this week of sleepdeprived scheming. Your persistent promotion of Andrew's latent talent begins to see the light. No disrespect to Conner T., but this kid is a bonafide Division 1 starting talent, right from the getgo in most second tier programs. At Kansas, he looks to be a very essential winning element in a 9 man rotation packed with experienced senior leadership this season.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

I have been beating a dead horse a bit, but then again, I'm prone to do that ...

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 7 months ago

I dreamt we were upset by Witchita St. last night. Glad to be wrong.

REHawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of Wichita State, every time I read or hear news of their winning ways, I am thankful that Perry Ellis chose not to stay at home this season.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

We see Indiana playing Butler ... perhaps we can see the light with Wichita St. If they beat us as Butler did, more power to them. Would rather play them at the Sprint Center, instead of Oregon St.

REHawk 4 years, 7 months ago

+1. Our hoops program always seems proud and accomodating to share a portion of the exhibition gate receipts with Washburn, Pittsburg State, Emporia State. Is past time to schedule Wichita State for games at the Sprint Center, or perhaps every second or third year at AFH.

repaste 4 years, 7 months ago

Unrelated- anyone else figure the easy way around KCstar pay-to-read?

HawkKlaw 4 years, 7 months ago

That was a fun one to watch. I thought EJ had one of the better games he's played all season. It was good to see him regaining some of his abilities on both ends of the court and controlling the game.

Naadir played the backup PG spot very efficiently yesterday. He did get blown by once on defense, but I also saw him manhandle Belmon's PG and take the ball away from him few possessions later. Not to mention, I also saw EJ, AW3 and even BMac get blown by at other points in the game. But all in all, it was a good defensive effort from everyone yesterday.

And hey, we've got four players averaging 10+ ppg this season. Not many teams can boast that. They keep this up and nobody in the country will want to play KU come March.

HawkKlaw 4 years, 7 months ago

Not a chance, especially if Tharpe keeps playing the way he did yesterday. He's getting 17 minutes a game so far this season, and he got 19 yesterday. Unless something crazy happens, there's no way he will be phased out by March.

yates33333 4 years, 7 months ago

Tharpe made a few bobbles or mistakes but played pretty good. He was OK as the backup point. EJ played his best point of the year. Still has trouble feeding the post but did much better scoiring on penetration. Reminded me of TT on a couple of occasions.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 7 months ago

Rio, get your head right. If Tyler Self is matching your minutes that is on you.

yovoy 4 years, 7 months ago

I've liked 'Rio's game. I don't care for the eye-rolling, and "dissapointed" look on his face and his nearly-constant downcast body-language. His effort is ahead of his ability at this level, or at least it is ahead of what he's been allowed to show thus far.

His defensive effort is there, but he seems a bit harum skarum - on both ends - when he's out there.

He's playing behind some pretty good guards, and he's playing behind some other guards that have more years in the "system" than him. If he decides to stick, his time will come. If he doesn't decide to stick, I wish him the best. I DO think he offers us some talent if he's able to hang tough for a year or 2.

Steve Brown 4 years, 7 months ago

Watched ESPN 30/30 Bo Knows as well as No Place Like AFH for BB Rules.

Good stuff.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 7 months ago

I thought ESPN did a really good job with the highlights and interviews. I didn't remember why his career had ended and I wonder with the advancements we made in medicine if he could have fully recovered today.

Michael Luby 4 years, 7 months ago

I felt at the beginning of the season that Ben Mac would be leading us in scoring. So far thats holding true. Great to see AW3 as another threat. IMO Coach absolutely has to go 9 deep this year.

lawerencejayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I enjoyed all of the post on AWIII, especially HEM, very informative. I'm excited to see the game against Richmond. Might make a T-shirt that says "Free AWIII" (haha)

Go Jayhawks!

mikehawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Rio has to muture here or go somewhere and learn the same thing. He is at the same place RussRob was his freshman year. Also, see story today about Trav. Naadir had a rough freshman year and surely and slowly, he is starting to get it. Right now it is clear HCBS is sending Anrio a message...get your head right, or get time with the walkons in blowouts, or move on if that is what you want to do. It is one thing to be upset and to keep in the locker room, and quite another to have the tweets going. You can feel the bad mojo from Anrio through the TV. As great coaches always say, "the fastest way to a players brain is through his butt." Anrio...waive the white flag at coach and get after it, because it is his way or the highway.

REHawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Although still early, it seems almost surreal that Bill Self might bend toward depending upon a 9 man rotation; but at this stage that would appear to be in the forecast. Andrew is biding his time, making the most of what is offered. I hope that Jamari can hang tough, stay prepared to commit valuable input any minute his number is called. The Jayhawk bullpen is becoming packed with a crew of splendid change-ups. Jaybate always insists that Bill Self is a master at taking what is given by the opposition, turning it to his advantage. If his essential bench players can thrive under that same mantra, fans are in for a very thrilling ride again this conference and Tournament season.

Curtis Stutz 4 years, 7 months ago

JamTray had a nice block, but I was a little upset when they whistled him for a walk. He doesn't make as many offensive moves as I'd like to see, finally started to go for it in this game, thought he kept his right foot planted as a pivot foot and the ref whistled a travel on him. Not too worried about Jamari bringing it when his number is called though, you can tell he loves it out there.