Saturday, December 15, 2012

Four-star defensive end Chris Martin picks KU

Kansas University’s football team picked up its second commitment from a four-star prospect when City College of San Francisco defensive end Chris Martin on Saturday told KU coach Charlie Weis he would be a Jayhawk.

Martin, in town for an official visit with a host of other 2013 players, picked the Jayhawks over offers from Houston, Nebraska, San Diego State and Washington State.

Martin actually held a five-star rating coming out of Grandview High in Aurora, Colo., in 2010. He joins juco defensive tackle Marquel Combs as the other four-star player in KU’s current class and becomes the 16th junior-college standout to pick Kansas and the 10th commitment of the week.

Many of those players made their intentions known this week.

Martin, a 6-foot-5, 260-pound Denver native who played at Florida in 2011, has been clocked under 4.7 seconds in the 40-yard dash and recorded 61 tackles and 4.5 sacks at CCSF this season. Not surprisingly, his familiarity with Weis played a big role in his decision.

“I’ve always looked at him as a mentor,” Martin said of Weis to JayhawkSlant.com’s Jon Kirby. “He’s a straight shooter and he wouldn’t steer me wrong. He’s been genuine and we have talked several times about what I have been through. He’s told me his plans for KU and I think I can come in and be successful.”

Martin also has a lot of respect for KU strength coach Scott Holsopple.

“I spent my whole year at Florida with Scott Holsopple,” Martin told Rob Cassidy of Rivals.com. “I know what my body is going to look like under Coach Holsopple. And that’s not anything bad.”

Comments

Kirk 1 year, 4 months ago

I think we can pretty much promise any 4-star juco guy serious playing time right away. Unless we have somebody, um, better at the position?

Which, yeah.

jumpinjayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Well when you can promise a kid with 2 years left, the opportunity to play right away and NFL connections and even a glimpse of a NFL career it is hard to turn down. There will have to be a balance of more freshman next year, but for this coming year and the next, it is what KU needs. Go Charlie Go

JHWKDW 1 year, 4 months ago

Well before I mention this guy, how about our former KU Jayhawk football player Chris Harris and his 98 yard INT return for a touchdown against Baltimore. Rock Chalk!

As for this guy hope Weis can turn this team around with the talent they are bringing in.Well way to bring in 4 star talent, Hey if teams like Nebraska and Wahington State wanted this guy, he must be for real. Well way to get some talent KU staff.

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

More JUCO's are able graduate faster because they're spending the extra time at the JUCO to get their academics straightened up, whereas most high-schoolers need that last semester to meet all the academic requirements.

As for the rankings, when they graduate has absolutely nothing to do with their rankings whatsoever. JUCO's are actually graded lower than high-schoolers on the scale because the high-school ranks are recruited heavier than the JUCO ranks, which is why Weis has planned to target JUCO's heavily from day 1.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 4 months ago

Is the Kaehler signing legit?

Chris1955 1 year, 4 months ago

If I calculated the Rivals formula correctly, with Koehler's addition, this places KU at the #21 spot immediately behind Oklahoma in the recruiting rankings. This places KU behind only Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 2013 football rankings.

Without a doubt, we're seeing talented recruiters in action, with the added inducement of NFL experience. I'm sure the part of the pitch to these players is the "I can get you into the league".

Kovo12 1 year, 4 months ago

This site says Reeve Koehler committed to KU today. I hope this is true!

hawkdds 1 year, 4 months ago

I love the way Taylor Cox plays and he was a Juco transfer!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

SIMPLE: Can't wait to judge Weis+Campo's "product" on the gridiron next year!

Casey Gee 1 year, 4 months ago

More and more I'm beginning to think, "So this is what it's like to have a competent coaching staff running your team." Even at 1-11 I thought this years team would have wiped the floor with last year's team in a head to head match up. This coaching staff is making this off season exciting and hopefully getting enough talent to make an immediate difference next year. I still wonder if we need to pick up another OL and 1-2 more WRs before we run out of scholarships.

Aaron Carpenter 1 year, 4 months ago

Reeve Koehler would be a huge pick up. He's huge and loves to pancake (and presumably pancakes as well.). Seems like we've gotten a few SEC caliber guys.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't know if you can post links here, but I'm just blown away by Martin's highlights from CCSF and high school. He is tossing around big JUCO OL like rag dolls:

Hopefully he has all of his attitude issues in order because he and Combs could really make our DL special for the first time since '07.

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

This is something I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd say during basketball season, but is it football season yet? I can't wait to see what a difference these new guys can make!

JayDocMD 1 year, 4 months ago

Next? Mount St. Josiah please.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 4 months ago

With the exception of RB and one LB spot (Heeney), the two-deep could have no names on it from last year. I don't think I've ever seen that before, even at KSU-CC. It's both thrilling and nerve-racking putting so much hope into players that will see the field in '13, yet haven't even trained at KU together yet.

Now we just need a kicker (since we recently landed a punter).

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

D we know who else is on campus this weekend?

shelleysue 1 year, 4 months ago

I sure hope our QB and kicker are as advertised. I'll stay cautiously optimistic for 2013 and hope for the best. Welcome to all the recruits and thank you for coming to KU! Rock Chalk!

JhawkalumJB 1 year, 4 months ago

I wonder if Turner Baty was influential in his decision? I noticed that they attended the same school in San Francisco.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I am trying really hard not to get irrationally excited by all of these commitments since I have had my hopes dashed so many times before by the football Jayhawks. So I keep telling myself that we haven't had a lot of luck with JuCo players in the past. Remember Jocques Crawford and his infamous 3,000 yard prediction? I think he was the last JuCo All-American we had, but I may be (and probably am) wrong.

He fell about 2,768 yards short of his predicted 3,000 in the 2008 season. Personally, I think it was the playcalling.

Todd Simpson 1 year, 4 months ago

he has to get rid of the Gill Dead weight who couldn't play

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't think KU's ever landed 2 4-star defensive lineman in the same class before. Remember how bad our DL was in Gill's last season? Huge upgrades at DE and DT.

BPSkelly 1 year, 4 months ago

I dont recall this many commits of potential significance signing with KU in such a flurry.

My excitement is tempered, but its good to see Coach Weiss get guys that he seems to want to get.

Hopefully we're turning a corner here.

jhawkln 1 year, 4 months ago

7-4 going into KSU wouldn't surprise me at all next season. 2014- 10-2.

swigrimm 1 year, 4 months ago

Whoa there njjayhawk. I'm as excited as the next Jayhawk fan, but lets keep things in perspective. At the end of next year, nothing would be better than to have you say 'I told you so'. But until then, lets just hope for a conference win, eh?

Janet Scott 1 year, 4 months ago

Perhaps Weis is looking to win Coach of the Year next year, and may, with a stunning program turnaround in a single year.

Kevin Randell 1 year, 4 months ago

Did someone forget to tell me Christmas was moved? Because Santa and his little helpers are bringing us one heck of a defense for next year!

Chris1955 1 year, 4 months ago

My favorite Martin (with apologies to Ray Walston)!

HawkNut 1 year, 4 months ago

Team those DE's with Tavi, Combs and McKinney inside equals a pass rush we have not had since JM.

Jason Keller 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow. I've never seen KU able to recruit at the line if scrimmage the way we are now.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm amazed almost every time I come back to this site this week we've received another commit! Merry Christmas KU Football! Our class is ranked 30th! Keep em coming Charlie!

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

Ideal Big 12 DE. This team desperately needed a pass-rusher. Now we should be fine at DE next season with Martin, Goodman, Andrew Bolton and Darius Willis.

HawkNut 1 year, 4 months ago

Bang Biscuit!! Cccchhhhaaaarrrrlllliiee is a recruiting genius! Bring in the ponies and hope Heaps is the real deal. I see seven wins next season!

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

6-foot-5, 260-pound, and has been clocked under 4.7 in the 40. Wow, that is quick for anybody. But for a guy his size Wow.