Friday, December 14, 2012

KU’s Justin Wesley suffers broken pinkie

KU junior Justin Wesley sports a broken finger as he looks for gifts on Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012, during the Jayhawks' holiday shopping excursion to Wal-Mart.

photo

Kansas University junior basketball forward Justin Wesley broke his left pinkie finger at practice Thursday and will miss approximately three weeks of practice and games, coach Bill Self said Thursday night.

Wesley, a 6-foot-9 reserve forward from Fort Worth, Texas, hurt his finger scrambling for the basketball. Wesley wore a cast around the outside two fingers of his left hand during Thursday’s holiday shopping excursion at Wal-Mart. Wesley has scored five points total and grabbed 10 rebounds while playing 35 minutes in six games this season.

Ellis finals finished: Wichita Heights Class of 2012 valedictorian Perry Ellis headed to basketball practice Thursday afternoon with a burden lifted from his shoulders.

Ellis, now a KU freshman, had finished his first-semester final exams.

“My last one was this morning. I’m pretty excited about that,” Ellis said.

“We’ve got to do a lot of basketball stuff and other things you’ve got to do in college, so it makes it tougher here,” added Ellis, who reports, “I got a couple A’s, couple B’s, I think, so that’s pretty good.”

The 6-foot-8, 225-pound McDonald’s All-American, who also aced a pair of classes at KU last summer, figures to be one of the Jayhawks to benefit the most from an upcoming month between semesters with no classroom responsibilities.

“Perry’s minutes are going to continue to go up if he keeps trying to get out of his comfort zone to be aggressive,” Self said of Ellis, who has averaged 5.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 16.1 minutes per game heading into Saturday’s 6 p.m. home game versus Belmont. “He has certainly done that in practice. He cares. He’s conscientious.”

Ellis, who has scored just 14 points in KU’s last four games, had 15 in KU’s season opener versus Southeast Missouri State.

“He played pretty well against Colorado (Saturday), but he had two points and one rebound. He was more aggressive in some ways. It just didn’t fall that day,” Self said.

It’s all a learning process, and Ellis has been a sponge.

“The key thing is being aggressive at all times,” Ellis said. “I think too much when I need to react and play.”

KU senior forward Kevin Young said Ellis, “is very talented. We all know it out there, on the court, in the stands. He’s a good kid. He’s hard to guard (in practice) just because he knows how to score. He’s just hard to defend.”

McLemore excels: KU red-shirt freshman Ben McLemore leads the team in scoring (16.0 ppg) and is third on the team in rebounding (5.6)

“Wait ’til he gets comfortable. That’s kind of how I look at it,” Self said at Thursday’s weekly news conference. “I’m not so hung up on points as I am being a good player, and he’s becoming a much better player as we go. He’s learning how to be aggressive while being unselfish. Hey, he’s one of the premier players in our league Day One, with a chance to be one of the very elite few in our league. I really believe that.”

Brown update: Larry Brown’s first SMU team is off to an 8-1 start heading into Saturday’s game at Rhode Island. Self, who speaks with former KU coach Brown regularly, shared a story about Brown’s return to the recruiting trail last summer after many years in the NBA.

“First time I saw him was for an 8 a.m. game — 8 a.m. games, nobody likes going to them,” Self said. “I get there at 7:59, just in time, and he’s off on his own. I saw him and said, ‘Coach, (are) you too good to sit with us, coaches?’ He said, ‘No, I have to have a chair. I can’t sit in the bleachers.’ I said, ‘If I were you, I’d make your assistant carry that chair to every game you go to today,’ as a joke. He made his assistant carry the chair every game he went to. I thought that was pretty funny because nobody does that.”

“I think after doing it as long as he has, he deserves the right to sit in a chair rather than bleachers,” Self added of the 72-year-old Brown.

Comments

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Re: Justin--another one bites the dust!

Ohio State and Temple fall within the window of Justin's injury. These are games where we could use his 6-9 225 body. He outweighs KY 30 lbs and has an inch on everyone but Jeff. He played 7 vs. MSU.

GET WELL JUSTIN!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

I mentioned this a few weeks ago (speculating) after the Peters' news about the potential of Josh Smith coming to KU at semester, our open scholarship, etc. The thing I have seen on this topic is below ... KU, Georgetown, and Washington are the leaders apparently. Wow.

www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/21394443/good-n-plenty-slus-mitchell-reflects-on-last-days-with-majerus

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

These phenom all state, McD AA, and Gatorade POY (X4), will learn. Jabari Parker, Wigs, and Randall will hit the freshmen brickwall. They all bloom during the second half. They get their wings their soph yr, and begin to fly.

It's a big step up from HS to D1 play.

Wesley is one funny dude. You just look at him and start laughing. I'm sure he's a great guy. He just fouls and looks over at the bench with the goofiest look. He fouls before getting into a game. Someone once said that Wesley fouls when he gets out of bed.

If you haven't read this, please do:

Beyond he Phog- http://www2.kusports.com/news/2011/se...

Seriously, Wesley will be fine. He's a great depth man.

midwest_muser 1 year, 4 months ago

Wesley has amazing athletic ability. Would love to see his feel for the game catch up.

phogphan2000 1 year, 4 months ago

Belmont is a great opportunity for Perry Ellis to show he can be as active (or close to it) as Kevin Young on the offensive glass. KU should have a bundle of offensive boards, I'd love to see Ellis get after it and maybe even put up a dunk or two off an offensive rebound. Same thing goes for Traylor, he's shown the energy and effort on the offensive glass, big opportunity to get in the mix.

Wonder how Wesley's injury affects practice rotations, if at all. More practice time for Lucas? Forcing Ellis or Traylor to guard W in practice?

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

What is it about talking about the ShoeCos and the agents that gets everyone's so nervous?

They are just players in the D1 business, like anyone else, right?

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Why do I get the feeling Perry is going to see serious minutes against...Belmont? :-)

Why, I bet AW3 is going to see big minutes against...Belmont. :-)

Belmont is kind of a coming out party for all the struggling new guys.

Why, we me even see Anrio see big minutes against...Belmont.

Regardless, get ready for Perry to come steaming back, because Self is setting him up for a confidence builder.

Go, Perry, go!!!!

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 4 months ago

On an unrelated note, how awesome are those track suits? Are they for sale anywhere? I love the 'fightin' Jayhawk logo best of all. I wish we could bring it back, especially for football. Given the shoe co talk, has anyone yet pinned down where we stand with renewing our Adidas contract? In the great debate over whether it's better to be a Nike or Adidas school for recruiting, I don't really care that much (there are examples of both Nike and Adidas schools that have done quite well for themselves recruiting players from either camp), but in terms of how players are dressed currently and have been in the past, I prefer the Nike uniform styles these days. Baylor's neon eyesores haven't done much to change my opinion of Adidas.

KansasComet 1 year, 4 months ago

Perry Ellis time is coming. It's lets than 10 games into his Freshman Campaign. No worries here!

Sam Constance 1 year, 4 months ago

Am I the only one who, in glancing at the headline, saw "J---- W----y" and for a split-second thought Jeff Withey was out?

WHEWWWW!!!

Although that does stink for Wesley and for the loss of his energy in practice. But compared to missing Jeff Withey for 3 weeks, it's not nearly as dramatic.

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

The way Wesley's finger is wrapped up in the picture, I'd say it's pretty severe break. If it was just a minor break or fracture, I would imagine he would just have a splint on it. I would guess there's probably a risk for some nerve damage right now and his finger needs some protection. Either that, or Bill Self and the training staff are being overly cautious because Wesley isn't in the rotation so they can afford to let Wesley completely heal his finger.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 4 months ago

Hope Justin gets good grades and graduates, basketball probably hasn't turned out as he planned.

Anybody read Jaybates novel? Me neither.

Lee Sears 1 year, 4 months ago

I figured he was already out with an injury. He hasn't been played any significant minutes in several games. Maybe he has been in the doghouse with Self ?

William Blake 1 year, 4 months ago

Dig the stove pipes.

Can we buy these?

funkdog1 1 year, 4 months ago

I believe in American English the accepted spelling is "pinky".

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Part 2

Both ShoeCo and coach understand that there is a tipping point where if the 5 star is played too much before he is ready, the team will suffer and become associated with losing; losing is almost as bad for brand management, as not starting.

At the same time, both understand that winning without promoting the 5-star does the ShoeCo no good. If the ShoeCos marketing agenda is not served by sending a 5-star to a program, then the ShoeCo has wasted its marketing budget with the player so far, and diminished his immediate and future marketing worth. If the D1 coach tells the ShoeCo that he knows best, and sits 5-stars and subs them sparingly, or plays them out of position to help the team win, this is detrimental for the Shoeco"s marketing agenda. Same if the coach demands the 5-star play with injuries that, if worsened by playing, could move the 5-star toward the left tail of his marketing probability function in the long term.

Under these conditions, the ShoeCo disciplines the D1 coach by denying him future 5-stars players from its stable for a couple years. If the coach/school have a long term contract with the ShoeCo, there is nothing the coach/school can do. The competing ShoeCos will not send their 5-star players to a school contracted with their competitor. The coach's only move, then, is to broaden out where he recruits, and to beat the bushes for more diamonds in the rough, until the ShoeCo he has offended lifts the 5-star embargo and gives him one or two to see if he will then behave according to their marketing agenda.

This hypothesis is formulated to fit the observable facts of the last several years, since Xavier was asked to play a supporting role (thus retarding his rightward movement on his marketing probability function), EJ was asked to sit for a year and a half because of wildness (ditto) and Selby was played out of position and with an injury (ditto).

But as always, its only an hypothesis.

JHawk74 1 year, 4 months ago

As long as Withey and Young play great basketball anything Ellis contributes is a bonus. Ellis and Traylor are clearly the 3rd and 4th option for our big guys at this time. Ellis and Traylor are very important to the team and seem to understand their roles. Ellis can learn from Withey and Young and be ready to be a starter next year.

bville_hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

How does a broken pinkie finger on your non-shooting hand keep you out of practice?

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 4 months ago

If McLemore and Ellis can come anywhere close to their potential this team is going to be hard to stop, even against IU, Duke, UM and SU.

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 4 months ago