Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Charlie Weis trying to drum up game-day tradition

Kansas head coach Charlie Weis watches over practice from across the field on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.

Coming from a place like Notre Dame, where tradition drips off the walls of the football stadium, and operating in the shadow of Allen Fieldhouse, which he called “the Mecca of college basketball,” first-year Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis has his sights set on adding a little tradition to Saturdays.

“I know when you are 2-10 it is tougher for the students to buy in and show that same kind of loyalty and devotion to the football team,” Weis said. “I think we have to do something on the field to help that. I get it. But at the same time, if you don’t ever try to make that bond between the football team and the students and the band, then how is it ever going to happen? Just by accident?”

Weis continued: “It’s really tough to go up in front of your students after losing a football game to sing the alma mater. I have done it; it’s tough. It is also tough for the students to stay there until the end of the game to be a part of that. We are going to own up to our end of the bargain. We are going to be there. I am going to start Tweeting to death, to start working those students to make sure they are there, too.”

Comments

phogfusion 2 years, 5 months ago

Got to hand it to Weis...at least he's trying to get the apathetic football fan base to wake up and take notice...I got to say I like the spirit Weis has and it's a refreshing change to what we have seen lately....Good stuff!!!!!!! Now hopefully it resonates on the field!!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Not that Derp is exactly a tough act to follow ... but those sound like some outstanding and well thought out ideas.

Let's hope that that attitude is contagious!

gardenjay 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow - we didn't get this before that I recall. I think establishing a connection to the students on the football team is a rad idea, Weis is looking smart.

hawk316 2 years, 5 months ago

You're right, gardenjay. Terrific idea.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think there has been a "rad" idea since the 80s.

Pitthawk34 2 years, 5 months ago

Still waiting for parachute pants to come back in fashion so I can break out my 80s black and silver pair that i have in the basement.

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

You'll be right at home in the "Black Hole" (die hard Raider fans endzone section).

Don Everett 2 years, 5 months ago

Good luck and I'll be watching/listening/cheering and singing from Montana!!!!

James McGuire 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey, me too - well, watching as much as I can.

Cmill1221 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't care what traditions he adds as long as one of them is winning!!! If we win there will be a bond w/ the students and they will gladly stay the whole game. And if winning becomes the norm they will most likely stick around even if we lose. Tradition starts with wins.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

He sounds young. My guess is that the foundation of the tradition may be the old students (alums) and their families. It can effect the motivation of the players and the ability to recruit, which turns into a wonderful cycle.

I like that CW has taken an idea and developed plans that he is now putting into action.

ku_foaf 2 years, 5 months ago

I am not young, and I agree fundamentally with what he says. Other coaches have tried to forge traditions...but the traditions have to come from the students, so it doesn't really work. Remember "Big Mike" who was brought in as a cheerleader in the Gottfried era? Fun, yes, but didn't last.

april28 2 years, 5 months ago

Not a big fan of contrived traditions. I'm all for Charlie but this one doesn't really matter to me.

Alex Berger 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't understand why Cmill is getting so much hate. No school has tradition without a winning tradition. Tradition does start with wins. These rituals become fun because you have connected it with good memories of victories.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't support Weis until we are a juggernaut, but tradition and wins do go hand-in-hand. It just so happens that the more lively our student section is the more motivated our football team is to win. So let's buy in but here's to hoping our football team puts something together that is worth watching.

Jeff Smith 2 years, 5 months ago

I had season tickets during the Terry Allen days, Mangino's rough first year, and the Gill days and I have seen how absolutely unfaithful (some, maybe most) KU fans are to the football team. Yes i want to win, but I think Weis is referring to the fan base and how sketchy we are. Win or lose we should be supporting the program. You arent a KU fan if you only support the basketball team because they win. This kind of bonding and tradition will lead to more wins in the future imo.

Cmill1221 2 years, 5 months ago

I have been going to games since I was 6. (spare the young jokes) I just want us to start winning. That's all.

William James 2 years, 5 months ago

KU fired Mangino to garauntee Turner Gill $10 million. If I decide that is absurd and I'm not going to support that, that means I am unfaithful? Ok, I'm unfaithful and I don't give a damn either.

Jeff Smith 2 years, 5 months ago

none of that crap has anything to do with the players. Nobody in their right mind would support the 10 mill we just handed to gill for ruining our program.

lv_jhwk 2 years, 5 months ago

"If we win there will be a bond w/ the students and they will gladly stay the whole game."

Oh yeah? I enter the winning teams we had towards the end of the Mangino years as proof to the contrary. Even an undefeated (at the time) squad soon to get an Orange Bowl win couldn't keep the student section full until the end.

april28 2 years, 5 months ago

Without a doubt, then, the chance to sing the alma mater with the players and band will keep them there.

Listen, I hope it works. But the base point is all that matters, winning fixes everything.

Cmill1221 2 years, 5 months ago

We put up 70+ on Nebraska. No one left early that game.

The_Tic_Tac_Kid 2 years, 5 months ago

I was at that game. They absolutely did. Maybe not in as great of numbers as they did for other games, but a good number of people still left at halftime.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 5 months ago

He is just trying to cover all the bases while answering the question from the fan base, "what can we do?" I think this is a good idea and I hope that it is one of many pieces that strengthens, unites, builds on the success we all look forward to. He is certainly making it easier to believe.

lahothan 2 years, 5 months ago

I'll gladly be one of the 16 students remaining in the student section to take part in this

Ashwin Rao 2 years, 5 months ago

Love it! He is thinking about EVERYTHING! He practices celebration, and pre/post tradition... I am sure it will all translate to more accountability amongst the players... they will have to show their faces to the fans after dropping the game-winning catch, or missing the game-winning field-goal... This will force the players to give what they have and more to the team.

Great stuff!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

"With that in mind, Weis on Tuesday met with KU band director Matthew Smith to discuss the idea of creating a postgame ceremony in which Weis’ football players would walk to the student section on the east side of Memorial Stadium and sing the alma mater with their classmates while the band takes a spot on the field and faces the players and students."

I have to agree with lahothan's comment above. It would be a smart move - if there's anybody left after halftime. Win and the crowds will stay around for this.....

AirCapJay 2 years, 5 months ago

You don't have to win... just be competitive. Winning will come.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I was going for the "build it and they will come" theme - but it didn't sound right saying " just hang in there and don't get the crap kicked out of you every saturday and they will come".

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

What you're saying is true...build it and they will come. That's true with any institution. What separates programs like Notre Dame & Kansas when it comes to football is that their fans stay no matter what. They have not had a whole lot of success as of late, but I can garauntee that their fans support them regardless. Am I railing on KU fans? Yes! I am railing on myself because I am one of them. I typically like your posts, but if we want to be a tradition rich school in football, then our fans need to be at the end of the game win or lose. Don't be poor losers. Everyone wants to see a winning program built here....let's support it for the long haul. By the way, I typically enjoy your posts, but this one rubbed me wrong.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I am totally, 100% lost, dazed and confused.

What do you mean? How did I rub you wrong?

I don't know which comment(s) you're referring to, but if you have read any of my posts in the past, I am ALWAYS basically pleading with people to stay for the whole game. Admittedly, I "threw my hands in the air" at the end of last season. Nobody should feel compelled to sit through 50 & 60 point drubbings.

Sorry if I came across negatively, it was not my intent. It's just that with any program, INCLUDING Notre Dame - fan loyalty has to start somewhere. If we can win, or be consistently competitive, the fans will stay.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Like I said...it's easy to stay when you're winning. The whole mindset has to change. And also..to reiterate...I typically like your posts as I stated, but I think you're wrong here. Sorry, but I do. Chill..it's okay to disagree.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Chicken or Egg ?

I understand your point, and when I have gone to games, I stay until the end (bitter or not. Partly because I spent the money, I'm staying until they kick me out)

But the vast majority are going to need a better reason to stay.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

"Fans staying will not cause the team to win, but the team winning will cause the fans to stay."

That's what you just said. Go back and read what I wrote. What don't you understand, brother? I'm saying that very mindset needs to change.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Crap - I've been suckered. You're my wife, right???

I say black, you say white. I say day, you say night.

I say we need to win. You say the fans need to stay.

Now go back and read MINE. I said that I stay. That's the only thing I can control. Most people (or very many people) will not stay unless we are winning - or competetive. I'm just trying to be realistic.

You're right about one thing. The mindset does need to change. How many people leave a KU Basketball game early? Right.
WHY? Because we win.

We're not alone brother, watch an Oklahoma State Basketball game - there's not enough people there at most games to fill up most high school stadiums. Then look at their football games - different story. Because they've established themselves as a good football school. They've been competitive. And won.

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

Why throw your hands up late last season?

The worst drubbings came before then.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Lol !!

JayDocMD - I respect your input (not that I don't respect NebraskaJayhawk) and sometimes we all need an objective opinion.

Am I wrong? Am I being anti-KU or anti-football or something? In my mind I'm really just trying to express that I don't think we'll keep the stands full unless the team puts something on the field that we want to stay and see. If I'm wrong, I will respectfully bow out.

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey, if the students don't hang around why don't we Alumni head to the student section after the game and sing the Alma Mater ourselves! Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk...

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 5 months ago

I keep thinking...if Weis sticks around long enough...like Schiano at Rutgers...you can turn the tide. I just don't expect he will be given the luxury of time and/or he will stay himself even five years. Hope I am proven wrong. I think he is a solid coach...can't wait to see what they will do...

vd 2 years, 5 months ago

He sure turned that ND program around.

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 5 months ago

Two BCS bowl appearances at ND, and really, what has ND done since Weis was let go?

For the record:

ND under Weis - 2 BCS appearances. KU: 1 BCS appearance/win MU: 0 BCS appearances KSU: 0 BCS appearances

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

This man get it. I love it! They do it in Texas, starting at the high school level. Let's start another new tradition. Light the Campanile blue with a football win. That would be awesome@!

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

One small change to that idea, 2 sides blue an 2 sides crimson. I also think lighting the top of Fraser Hall would be pretty cool too. One tower bathed in crimson and one bathed in blue would be really cool too.

Matt Kenton 2 years, 5 months ago

And how about those slow spinning images projected onto the sides, like you see at malls and corporate events? Jayhawks, KU logo, chi-o fountain. We could have big blue and red sparklers on the top of the campanille too, for when we score.

Tradition!

DedicatedAlum 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree! That would be great looking. In 1968, with an Orange Bowl bound team, they did that to the Memorial Stadium. Weis is building back the enthusiasm and support. Kudo's to you Charlie!

55jayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

This is a good idea, let's back the team on this one. While we are at it: let's put the Jayhawk back on our helmets, this is one of the most recognized and unique mascots in the NCAA!

Steve Reigle 2 years, 5 months ago

This guy just continues to impress me.

I also like the lighting of the Campanile idea! I've seen the orange lights in Austin and it's quite impressive. Great idea to light ours with blue.

phogthedog 2 years, 5 months ago

Now if we could get them to turn off the loud piped in music while the band marches down to the field from the Campanile, that would be awesome! The screen shows them marching down the hill......paired to loud very loud music. How about we listen to the marching band while they descend our hill? Start and end the game with tradition.

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

Exactly! Memorial Stadium is not Camarohead! I don't go there to listed to garbage music that I can hear anywhere else.

packywacky88 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed 100%. Does Weiss have an email published so we can voice our displeasure with the disrespect shown our band with the blaring music from the PA? This is college football, not the NFL. To those of you that think we have to do this to be hip and with the times, I say bollocks! College band music at a football game is the cat's meow!

Joel Hood 2 years, 5 months ago

How about ending the 'tradition' of yelling, "Rip his f** head off," after each kick off. Oh wait, I guess the lack of scoring pretty much ended that tradition last season.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I agee. Might be a great cheer at Missouri or some other classless place, but it needs to be banned. Those that think it's great obviously don't have kids, or care about those who do.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 5 months ago

Couldn't agree more. Horrible cheer that makes us look as classless as the Antlers at MU.

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

Kill The Chant. Granted, I hear the F-word everyday, but the chant is just plain unoriginal. Copying a chant from a movie does not exactly scream KU Traditions.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, that's a pretty dumb one. Don't know how something like that turned into a "tradition". If I heard it once at a game I might laugh, but the second time I wouldn't. The third time I would just be embarrassed.

Self was able to end the home of the Chiefs thing. Maybe Chuck will get on the students about this. He certainly seems capable ending it.

I also think this board is capable of making change. Like after all the discussion here about the stupid "Woooo", after the Rock Chalk chant, it faded away. This venue gets a boatload of traffic, and could probably help squash the kickoff chant.

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

So glad to hear that the Wooooooo is fading away. The echo of the RCC echoing off the walls is what makes it so eerie and special. That dumb Woooooooo just kills the effect.

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

I disagreed with the comment that got removed...I don't remember it being offensive though...maybe I missed something...

2 years, 5 months ago

Tradition creates loyalty, win or lose. Probably the best example of this is at Texas A&M, where all three levels on the east side of the stadium are filled with about 40,000 students who, along with many of the other fans, stand and yell on all Aggie defensive downs regardless of the score - - they could be up or down by 40, it doesn't matter. This is just one of many examples of their traditions. Obviously, this didn't happen overnight, but you have to start somewhere. I love what Charlie is trying to do so far.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Good post man...win or lose we support what Weis is trying to accomplish here.

2 years, 5 months ago

Good to see you and seven back on here and getting fired up about KU football once more. Only need jimmydean to complete the trifecta now :-)

Gene Jackson 2 years, 5 months ago

Gee, I wonder if someone told him that the students are gone after the half to party down the street.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

That's what has to change if we want to be a football school...it's just pathetic. And so are adult fans who sit on their hands the whole game....make some noise when the defense is in the game. After the first first down in every game that the opposing team makes, the adult fans (most) are done yelling for the game. It's laughable really. I challenge some of you to go to a K-State game or another good football venue and get a different perspective of what it's like to be involved in a football game as a fan. The WHOLE game! Yeah, some of you might not like the K-State comment, but it's a fact...swallow it.

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 5 months ago

Totally agree. It's way more fun to stand and yell the whole game. Last year was the worst as far as fans giving up and sitting on their hands. I think we all knew what we were in for.

I sure hope this year is different and people stand up and cheer more. I hate feeling guilty for standing up. And it's not like those damn metal benches are comfortable anyway!

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 5 months ago

I wonder how Charlie is going to handle the only "tradition" the students have - yelling "rip his f*cking head off" after kickoffs...

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

I need to check the CFB rules to see if a coach can ask the refs to assess an Unsportsmanlike Conduct 15 yarder everytime the students yell the chant. That will make it stop soon enough.

Robert Brock 2 years, 5 months ago

wheatwave wins this thread based on real KU tradition.

Matt Kenton 2 years, 5 months ago

While we're piling on, let's get rid of those stupid black uniforms the band wears!

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

ha ha...have kind of wondered about those myself. Why black?

Cody Stumma 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't know, I always thought the uniforms looked cool. They were hot to wear of course especially during the early games though.

Keep the Uniforms, especially considering how much they cost, haha!

Phoghorn 2 years, 5 months ago

I miss the blue trousers. Unfortunately, it is harder to get blue trousers because black ones are mass produced. IMHO the black trousers look like they were borrowed from Mizzou.

martyks 2 years, 5 months ago

I only have one question for all the koolaid drinkers out there. When did Weis ever prove that he can coach college football? Look up Notre Dame's record while he was there. It was dismal and his teams were obviously not prepared or in shape. I hope I am wrong, but I believe this year will be embarrassing and disappointing. Then again, maybe singing the song could ease our pain.

madamhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I admit I am one of those kool-aid drinkers. I do see your point, but, I believe in second chances. We will see if he "has learned" from the mistakes he says he made at ND. Just HCCW's hiring has got some buzz going for our FB program. Patience my son. SZ had the thought "if you build it (a competing FB team, W's and some bowl games), people will come". Oh yes, people will come, they will flock to Lawrence, tailgate with family, friends and strangers. They will cheer, jump and down and give high-fives to all that sit around them in the stadium. They will stand at the end of the games, arm in arm, looking down at our football team and band and sing with them. Oh yes, my friends, people will come.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Look up his record. It was not elite enough to match the pretension of ND, but blows away any other coach in KU history. He has the same amunt BCS experience as we do, and dismal was redefined in the last 2 years.

martyks 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't have to look up his record. I saw every game ND played throughout the time CW was there... EVERY GAME. And I'm here to tell you... it was embarrassing. Now, true, KU has been dismal in the last few years and it would be hard to limbo under that, but please don't talk about BCS bowl games and/or winning records. CW will improve us to the point where we do not lose 70-0 routinely. My guess is 58-0 will be fairly routine this year. If that's enough for you, go sing with gusto. I do get your point, though, that CW is not Gill. Yea! Problem is, he's still Weis. Another order of snake oil for everyone.

troutsee 2 years, 5 months ago

People with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove, usually prove it.

Kyle Crenshaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Forget what NOtre Dame used to be. THe fact is, is that the best football players are going south to Bama, LSU, and other Southern schools and not Notre Dame anymore. Yeah Weis had Brady Quinn, but that defense has always been slow and so there was no way they could be "elite." He still took that team to BCS games and even came close to beating USC when they were at the top of their game! No i wouldn't expect anything huge right away, but he's gonna have his team prepared to play.

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 5 months ago

Ah dude...we hired an idiot who had a sub-.500 record at a MAC school who immediately went 3-9 in 2010 (including that AWESOME beating by NDSU at home), 2-10 last season (where keeping the opponents under 50 points was a "victory"), and because of which, KU almost ended up in the Big East or Mountain West Conferences...

I DON'T THINK IT CAN GET ANYMORE EMBARRASSING

So in my book, Weiss can come in here and demo the place, start over and have a blank sheet to do whatever he needs to get us playing competitively...if it means new traditions--great, then do it!

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe they should go to whatever section of the stadium still has the most people left in it by the time the game is over. Going to look kind of ridiculous facing an empty section of the stadium.

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, if you could read and form inferences like a normal, functioning adult you would realize that this is - just maybe - a move to address our pathetic students leaving at halftime, so the football team won't be doing the alma mater to an empty student section.

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 5 months ago

It's not the students fault they leave at halftime. There is beer and good games on TV to watch at home. I'm impressed most of them make it for the first half, especially those 11am FSN starts.

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 5 months ago

Can't tell if parody post.

If not...idiot.

dnvrhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

LOL. There are a number of schools that play their alma mater at the end of the game. I'd like to see them come up with something original.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Regardless of what you think of Charlie's idea:

1] Why not try it??.....the only tradition we have now is losing football games.

2] Lately, the opportunity hasn't happened often, but does the crowd sing the Rock Chalk song near the end of victories?? A stadium full of people singing would sound awesome.

3] Move the band into the middle of the student section...not stuck in the far corner of the endzone.

4] Ad nausem, but get rid of the track and move the stands closer to the field.

5] Great ideas on lighting the Campanile, Fraser Hall and having the band come marching down the Campanile Hill.

6] [Personal note] Ditch the Trajan lettering, put names back on the jerseys and come up with a "Psycho Hawk" design for the helmets.

7] But most importantly...be competitive and show effort. The wins will come.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Moving the band in the middle of the student section is a great idea. Even if it's "inconvenient" for the band.

Al Martin 2 years, 5 months ago

Believe me, it wasn't the band's decision to move to the end zone. They loved being in the student section. The end zone move was an athletic department decision.

troutsee 2 years, 5 months ago

Agree with the band being moved back to the student section. They are students. They are vocal. And they stay to the end of the game. Great idea.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I like reality based comments as much as the next guy, but I also appreciate the glass half full comments.

My guess is that even the most disgruntled KU football fan is going to feel more hopeful, and - GASP - even enthusiastic after this season is over.

Chances are we're going to see vast improvements over last year.

Back in a few - got to go mix up a new batch of Koolaid......

2 years, 5 months ago

"I do feel a little sorry for the people who wake up every day with a rope around their necks, just waiting to find a tree with the right limb."

I think you may have given jason7of9 a great idea for a new avatar! :-)

Rian Ankerholz 2 years, 5 months ago

Nuleaf: I appreciate your posts in general as a voice of reason, and your posts today as the correct attitude for fans to take in the infancy of the Weis era. KU basketball is obviously steeped in quality tradition, and there is every reason to hope that the same can be developed for KU football. There will always be people (not necessarily fans) who cast negativity at the program because of past shortcomings. But to ceaselessly spout derision is unnecessary and unhelpful. We should all remember that coaches, players, and recruits view these boards. The harm that negativity can do should not to be underestimated. Thanks again for your valuable posts and your optimism. I hope some of the things discussed above do become traditions. If some are silly ideas, they will die a natural death anyway. If you want the seed of the program to grow, you have to plant it.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you lawyahawk - I appreciate your kind words. I'll probably say something soon (maybe even today) to make you regret saying that, but for now - thank you and RCJH !!

Rian Ankerholz 2 years, 5 months ago

I like the idea of a Fighting Jayhawk helmet. Google: "Nike Pro Combat helmet Jayhawk" for the best example yet.

bad_dog 2 years, 5 months ago

I like this helmet, but I'd like it better with the '41 Jayhawk version on it. That looks like a "Fighting Jayhawk" to me.

april28 2 years, 5 months ago

No need to look any further. This should be our helmet forever.

741hawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's an idea. "The Jayhawk Walk." The buses bringing the team to the stadium would stop at the top of the hill. Led by cheerleaders and HCCW, the players would walk down the hill, through a crowd of fans (hopefully) to the locker rooms. (Not an original idea, I've seen it done at 'Bama and Ole Miss.)

And . . . I hope Charlie is workin' with Zenger on tearing out that track!

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 5 months ago

I like the idea a lot, but I am pretty sure this was done during the Gameball years, and after he was fired it stopped. It would be cool though.

Also really like the Campanile-lighting idea.

2 years, 5 months ago

As RedLegger mentioned, I believe Terry Allen tried to get something similar to the Jayhawk Walk tradition started his first year coaching here. I think this, and other ideas, would be more successful this time around though for the following reasons (with apologies to Oakville):

1) more people tailgating now that alcohol is allowed 2) modern era success (Fort Worth, Orange, and Insight Bowl victories) providing fans with confidence that having a winning team is possible 3) generally more excitement around Charlie Weis as the new head coach

Matt Gauntt 2 years, 5 months ago

I was somewhat apathetic about the Weis selection, but he has made a believer out of me. The small things that Weis is doing, and excelling at are the kind of things that make a great football program. Way to go HCCW!!

bville_hawk 2 years, 5 months ago

The team doesn't bus to the stadium, all football facilities are at the stadium. Terry Allen did the walk down the hill with the team (they did bus back then) and it never seemed like a neat thing to do and obviously never caught on. Not saying it shouldn't be tried again, but the team would have to bus from the stadium to the area of the Campanile and then walk down to where they essentially boarded the bus - seems a little nonsensical.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe the team could do a lap around the stadium to at least acknowledge the Alums on the west side and the Students on the east side.

[The track has to be good for something]

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

...all the while doing the "Stripes" chant. Boom-chugalugaluga-boom-chugalugaluga.

Uh yeah...great idea.

Rian Ankerholz 2 years, 5 months ago

Matt Tait: Can you give us some numbers about the Kansas Relays? In my mind, the tradition of the Relays is the primary reason to maintain the track. The secondary reasons to keep the track are the cost to remove it, and the harm losing the outdoor track would do to the track team. If the Relays generate substantial revenue, I can better live with the track. Do the Relays make money, or cost KU money? If the Relays generate substantial publicity for the school, I can better live with the track. I assume many Kansas high school track teams view the Kansas Relays as the highlight of their track season. Could the Relays survive a move indoors to the practice facility? As an old-schooler, I don't want to see the Kansas Relays end for lack of the track. Until we have an Olympic Sport Complex, which is the much preferred situation, I advocate keeping the track. The immediate harm that would be done to the track program outweighs the benefit to the football program at this point in time.

Jason Keller 2 years, 5 months ago

I believe the year was 1544, Cortes arrives in Veracruz, his army by his side. Just in case any of his troops had any second thoughts about fighting, Cortes burnt all of the ships he and his army had came on. He wanted it to be clear to his army that it was win or die, no escape plan, no where to hide. You win or you die.

Coach Weis is doing something similar. After the game, win or lose there is no where to hide. You are going to waltz your @ss over to the student section and own whatever performance you had on the field. Every kid on that team will be invested 100%. I love it.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Cortes was a mad, rad and bad dude!!!

1544.......I think that was the same year that Max started his radio career.

Kubandmom 2 years, 5 months ago

Not many people know that the band performance starts with the march down the hill one hour before game time along with a pre game pep concert at the bottom of the hill, they then have the pre game show, halftime show AND after every game they have a post game show where they play the school song and the final song is "Home on the Range". The director dismisses the band by asking "what kind of day is it?" and the band yells "it's a great day to be a Jayhawk!". Win or Lose...the band is there. It would be nice if the football team joined them in the post game traditions.

Calijhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I think what you will also see will be the re-emergence of the Marching Jayhawks. In the 1970's and early 80's, even during the Bud Moore years, I remember the Band as being kick - a--- , and ABC commentators saying so--back when they actually televised half-time shows at halftime. I think their decline started when Bob Frederick moved them from the student section to the corner of the bowl, and eventually all the way into the end zone to sell their seats. I remember taking a picture one year of the Band sitting right in the middle of a purple K-State victory celebration -- in their HOME stadium. You don't publicly disrespect your leading student support group like this and expect them to pull on the same end of the rope.

HCCW GETS IT! He's an extremely perceptive guy -- but I find it ironic that he has learned more about the KU environment and how to use it to build a long-term, respectable program in 5 months than 5 athletic directors have in 30 years.

Displayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Is this old news??? Rivals is reporting that Notre Dame linebacker Anthony McDonald is transferring to KU.

Joel Hood 2 years, 5 months ago

If Charlie has success (wins) he can start new traditions. If he is not successful, then any tradition he attempts will become a joke.

Does anyone remember the new Ron Prince tradition of the "KSU Power Towel - Bring It To Every Game!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A-05w...

Lloyd Kinnison 2 years, 5 months ago

If I lived closer to KU, I would attend a spring practice game. lk

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

How many of those 42,000 were OU fans? I know we probably don't know the answer, but it's probably a large number. Nevertheless, I see your point.

machinegun 2 years, 5 months ago

Kansas football fans, awake from your two-year slumber. The Preacher is finally gone. Coach Weis will break the cycle of losing and the students will stick around after halftime rather than going over the hill. Anyone care to go bowling?

Kevin Kelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Traditions build themselves. The band HAS a tradition...no one knows about it because of the loosing. I'd love the band to be part of the soulution as uposed to being too often part of the problem. I'm all for new ideas and trying new things....I think Charlie's on the right track....but if he wants to tweet fans here is my suggestion:

1 - Teach them how to be football fans because they don't know what to do when. Quiet on offense...loud on defense. Believe it or not...this needs to be discussed. If I hear the fricking band play and people cheer through 4th and 1 one more time I'm going to loose it.

2 - The band needs to stop playing when the QB is on the line. If you don't get to play much because we are running a hurry up...too fricking bad. The band suports the team and not the other way around. No one is comming to band events to throw a football arround.

3 - The crowd isn't signing/clapping along with the band. This is NOT becasue we can't hear them so no speakers are needed to add an aweful echo effect to our fight songs.

4 - Support the few people doing things right with your tweets. This means making some comment about how to cheer on defense. I'm sick of getting rude looks from our own fans for trying to make noise on D. Random acts of kindness is a good idea (upgraded seats). How about people going out recognizing fans doing the right thing when cheering and publicizing THAT.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 5 months ago

thisisourtime!!!!!!! oh wait, that was the Royals. Lets hope it's the opposite of that.

Calijhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Good points, NE., I have also noticed that instead of stepping high like they always used to, now they kind of walk. Most of the bands who generate pride within their fan base actually march with their knees high.

Maybe we ought to re-name them the "Walking Jayhawks" and let HCCW re-build THEM!

Jackster 2 years, 5 months ago

Blame it on "The Wheel" why students leave early. Winning or losing, everyone rushes there to be sure to get a seat or at the very least a spot in the beer garden. I'm guilty of that when I left the Colorado game early with my daughter (bad move but I did get a good seat). They need to expand the beer garden and fans will stay for the entire game knowing that they won't have to wait in line for 4 hours following the game. The Wheel is a post game tradition!

Ray March 2 years, 5 months ago

This seems like kind of a half a$$ story by Tait. From the title of the article, I was expecting more. I expected a story about all the ways Weis is going to do this.

When I clicked on the story, it just said: "He's going to have the players do the alma mater."

It seems like Tait could've done a bit more indepth reporting with Weis on how he's going to drum up game day tradition.

bville_hawk 2 years, 5 months ago

What? Do you want him to make stuff up? Weis is going to have the team sing the alma mater with the student section after the game. There is nothing else at this time.

DWilly 2 years, 5 months ago

I want to know why Charlie only has one foot in that photo.

bville_hawk 2 years, 5 months ago

That was discussed when that same photo was used over a story last week. The best idea then was that he lost his foot kicking ass at practice that day!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 5 months ago

I finally figured out why we didn't have the names on the jerseys for the last two years. In that one instance Gill really did know what he was doing.

trout984bum 2 years, 5 months ago

What's going on with Coach's pants/feet in the photo? It either looks like he's getting ready for the next flood or someone in the editing room was bored.

Geekinout 2 years, 5 months ago

Bring back the band entrance before games!! I remember when the band all lined up around the stadium entrance aisles before the games and made their entrance onto the field before the team. Names on jerseys and get rid of the black on the band uniforms. Oh, and get rid of the cheesy blowup entrance tunnel that the team runs through onto the field.

phogthedog 2 years, 5 months ago

And if there was any way to put on the big screen the drum corps playing inside the stadium after they march down the hill, that would be awesome. These past two years, watching the drum corps was often the best part of the game!

Ryan Gerstner 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm really excited to see Weis take some initiative and try to start some new traditions. KU Football needs them. Here's to hoping that he'll have many more new ideas!