Sunday, April 22, 2012

Georgia prep Tony Parker expected to pick UCLA

Tony Parker, a 6-foot-9, 280-pound senior center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., today will announce his college choice at a 3 p.m. Central time news conference at his high school.

Parker, who is Rivals.com’s No. 27-rated player nationally, has been mum with the media since early last week, when he said he would place the hat of his winning school — Kansas University, UCLA, Georgia, Duke or Ohio State — atop his head during his signing ceremony.

ESPN’s Dave Telep’s had this to say about the Parker sweepstakes Thursday on Twitter: “UCLA, Georgia, Duke with KU, Ohio State bringing up rear.”

Asked if his opinion had changed over the weekend, Telep tweeted Sunday: “I’ve been in Vegas all weekend. Unplugged from that one. With Tony anything is possible.”

On April 16, Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi wrote: “the (UCLA) Bruins and (Georgia) Bulldogs have been generating the most buzz and for now at least, they are the two safest bets when it comes to predicting which school Parker will choose.”

Bruinsball.com’s Brett Pierce on Sunday wrote: “We have continued to hear for a few weeks now that Tony Parker is likely heading to UCLA to join his former AAU coach, Korey McCray (now an assistant at UCLA), and his friends/UCLA signees, Shabazz Muhammad, Kyle Anderson, and Jordan Adams. ... I just got the final word from my sources that Parker is going to sign with UCLA. While nothing is ever 100 percent in the recruiting game, I cap it at 90 percent that Parker will be a Bruin, 9 percent that he will head to Georgia to stay close to home, and 1 percent that he will choose elsewhere.”

Georgia has already signed Miller Grove’s Brandon Morris, a 6-foot-8 forward, and has another Miller Grove player, junior-to-be Donte Williams, on the team.

In other recruiting news, KU has offered a scholarship to Marcus Lee, a 6-8 junior power forward from Deer Valley High in Antioch, Calif., according to Bossi.

Indiana, Florida and several Pac-12 schools are involved. KU coach Bill Self reportedly saw Lee play at an AAU tournament in Minneapolis last weekend.

Self also attended a tourney in Las Vegas.

Comments

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

3 pm today? Well ... unless it's just too much fun for him to squeeze out another two or three days of inconsequential melodrama.

Inconsequential is the key word – the schools who have put up with this nonsense will all have good teams with or without him. In two weeks the name won't ring a bell for most of us in four of the fanbases.

DCLawHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone know anything about Marcus Lee? That name has not been on my radar screen.

Kent Wells 2 years, 8 months ago

And here's guessing there is someone on the staff that can correct the strength issue...

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

West coast (not sure if class of 2012). The rating services have to fill the gaps when recruits commit, to keeps up the ad fees and subscription, so we will be dumped under a lot of these summaries.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

I wonder why the big difference between Scouts and Rivals on this kid. I still wish HCBS had gone after Willie Cauley, especially after soon Cal walk in and sign him.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Willie and/or his family never wanted Kansas. No official reason, but there was a definite anti-KU sentiment. (I remember something about a KSU connection.)

The Cauley door was shut from the start, and Self was smart to not waste his time on a kid who clearly didn't want to be a Jayhawk - ever. Let Willie go.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Didn't know that BayHawkaholic, thank you for the info.

bjejayhawk69 2 years, 8 months ago

Word I've heard directly from a teammate is KU never recruited him. Don't think KU thought he could play. His HS numbers are are not good for a 7 footer in Kansas HS play.

Hope he does OK since he is a Kansas kid but he will have a hard time finding the court at Kentucky. Don't think Calamari is a player developer he is more of an assembler of talent. Wish KU could assemble the talent he has but Self and his staff have developed players year after year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 8 months ago

In other news: World is round Water is wet Fire is hot

KStoCAHippie 2 years, 8 months ago

Wait a moment... I need to write this down somewhere...

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

World is round if Earth is your World and oblate spheroids qualify as round

Water is wet in two of its three states

Fire is hot unless your frame of reference is unlimited

Come on, ahpe, let the fans who don't understand team sports spend their time on rankings and image making.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Stick your oblate spheroid into a burning fire and let that be your reference.

Robert Brock 2 years, 8 months ago

World is round? Not according to Sam Brownback...

gchawk 2 years, 8 months ago

What possible reason would this comment be relevant here?

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 8 months ago

Antioch CA!!! Here's to a local boy (as far as I'm concerned, spending 6 of the last 12 months in pittsburg, CA) goin to play at KU. Marcus: It's not Kansas, it is Lawrence!

Alex Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

Not to mention Frankamp is listed as a PG.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Allerik Freeman has Kansas, Villanova, Duke, UCLA, and Ohio State on his list of potential schools.

april28 2 years, 8 months ago

I heard that he's getting advice on the decision from Brett Favre.

bradynsdad 2 years, 8 months ago

Ask deandre Daniels how he feels about the school he picked now. I don't think we have room for this young man anyway. I would much rather focus on another point guard. Of course by this time I'm sure you have stopped reading and moved onto the next comment. At any rate is this all we have in basketball news. I wouldn't mind updates on ku asst. coaches and how they're doing.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 8 months ago

Anyone hear about this Polish Big man? Przemek Karnowski.

We are on his radar. Forget Parker, this guy looks like a beast, eligible this fall I believe.

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, ths was mentioned in another article (I think the one about Elijah having surgery.) I really hope that if we get another player this year that it is this guy.

We have enough wings and power forwards coming in the next couple years. What we really need, apart from a PG, is a center to replace Withey. Parker is a center but he is only 6'9" and he doesn't look like he could get up and block shots like Withey or Aldrich.

Allan Olson 2 years, 8 months ago

What a surprise! Tony "5 hats" Parker going to LA-LA land. A perfect fit for that EGO.

There are plenty of 5-stars who flirted with Self in the last few years. Two he got...Henry and Selby...did not make significant contributions, and are hanging in NBA by their pinkies. Now lets concentrate on the 7 "freshmen" that truly want to be at KU.

I believe the 2011, 2012 and 2013 classes will prove epic and return us to deep and very talented teams. Anybody figure out this Marcus Lee fella yet?

oldalum 2 years, 8 months ago

What would make me hesitate on Karnowski is the scouting report that talks about him "lumbering up and down the floor" and saying he had no athletic ability. Hudy can only do so much.

Robert Brock 2 years, 8 months ago

What put UCLA over the top was Josh Smith telling Parker that there was no pressure to lose the body fat in Westwood.

matlockhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Has anyone ever put on a Jayhawk hat at one of these circuses? Personally, I would rather have a kid who just steps up to the microphone and says,'I am going to _." Wherever it is.The whole hat thing is disrespectful to the other schools. It is childish.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

HEM, Icthawk fan, aloha, jaybate, and some others. Hey, I know we had a good debate talking about transfers, transferring (Merv Lindsay) and the whole recruiting process.

I have been gone, but I just heard this interview about Bo Ryan and the Uthoff and it raises a lot of question marks for me. Let me say this, I think Bo Ryan is one of the good guys of College Basketball (Just like Bill Self and many other coaches), but I think this whole recruiting and transferring process within College Football and College Basketball is a big mess.

I really do believe that Bo Ryan, just like Bill Self, really do have the best interests of their players at their hearts first and foremost, but I do believe that these coaches who make 7 figure salaries, exploit to an extent the current "Rules" and "Process" that govern a scholarship and student athetes.

You know, the last 3 or 4 min of that interview by Bo Ryan was pretty impactful. It was interesting to see how Bo Ryan was using the "Scholarship" and the rules that impact that scholarship of a student athlete as a commitment to "The Program" (In this case Wisconsin). I don't know, I just found this dynamic interesting because in this case, I genuinely feel that Bo Ryan wanted to keep Uthoff in his program, whereas in other situations (Merv Lindsay or situations at other programs) kids are transferring, being forced out, or being recruited over.

It's just interesting to see how the "Scholarship" was used in Bo Ryan's defense to defend himself and at the same time the "Scholarship" is really only a one year renewable contract that doesn't truly benefit the student athlete over a true 4 or 5 year career. It only benefits is the coach wants it to benefit if that makes sense.

I don't know, I am curious what others thought about that Bo Ryan interview. I think Bo Ryan actually naively got caught up in something he doesn't know too much about, but I also believe it brought up some interesting questions on how coaches actually dive into the recruiting process and the transfer process.

ParisHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

It reminded me of the Brock Berglund departure, although handled much better by KU. They started by blocking the departure anywhere to teach BB there's a right way and a wrong way to go about this. Then they let him go.

Bo Ryan claims that's what he was doing with Uthoff, in which case he would have been better off just blocking his transfer until he respected the process, then treating him correctly.

Bo Ryan doesn't know the ropes in his position? Doubtful. Wants to control his program more than he wants good PR? Probably.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't agree about the BB situation either. I actually sided with BB in that situation and I could care less if BB is a good guy or not.

I don't know how kids are forced to figure out how a transfer probably works. I just think if a kid is starting to feel the pressures of possibly transferring that not everything is all "Positive" like everyone wants it to be. It could be minor, major, big, small, or whatever.

I just don't see a blueprint or a protocol sheet out there that lays it out for kids that says.............................this is what you got to do if you are thinking about transferring.

I think most kids feel intimidated to let a coach who they currently play for know that want to leave the program. I would bet that most don't think they need to tell their coach, but in actuality they need to know because they are the ones who grant the release.

I don't know, it's an interesting situation because most kids have either thought about or are having serious thoughts about transferring by the time that end of the year meeting happens with your coach.

It's a touch subject because if you reveal your intentions about possibly transferring, some players may view it as a way that may impact their future playing time for their coach. I can defiitely see how kids would hesitate about not wanting to tell their coach about that information. It's a tough subject to say the least.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm sorry, but even an 18-year old kid shouldn't need a "rules for transferring" to know that the first stop should probably be a little chat with their coach. Or SOMEONE on the coaching staff, or within the Athletic Dept.

Whatever one believes about the current transfer rules, there is nothing overly-demanding about expecting a student to communicate with his professors/instructors about a possible transfer. I understand that may not be a pleasant situation, but that's part of why people go to college, is it not? To learn how to be an adult and face difficult/awkward situations head-on, rather than skipping out on them.

A kid can't control whether his coach is going to be gracious or abuse the rules to his advantage, but I guarantee that trying to skip out without any kind of adult, professional communication with the program you are leaving--especially knowing that your current school has veto power over your future school options--is going to increase the likelihood that the departure doesn't go smoothly.

I think in Berglund AND Uthoff's case, if they had gone to their coach and had a face-to-face talk, neither situation would have become the mess each became. Let's not forget that both went to outside sources and decided to take their "situations" to the media to wage war, rather than dealing with the situation maturely.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

Guess you and I will have to disagree!

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

Tony, I won't participate in the pre-emptive criticism in anticipation of you choosing somewhere other than KU. But I do think it will be a big mistake for you to go to UCLA:

1) If you haven't already, look up the Sports Illustrated article revealing Ben Howland (your future coach if you go to UCLA) to be the type of "warden" who lets the "inmates" run the "prison"... as long as those inmates have talent. Just hope you don't have a borderline sociopath on your squad, because if he has any ability whatsoever, it will take an act of Congress for Howland to kick him off your team, allowing chemistry to fester in the process and allowing the possibility for injuries on the team at the hands of teammates. Heck, Howland may even scapegoat a few other, less-talented players to maintain the facade that the sociopath is not the problem. Good luck with that.

2) While I can certainly understand the desire to play around people (former AAU coach, former AAU teammates, friends) with whom you are familiar, the bottom line is that it's going to be easier to transition to playing around a whole new circle between HS and college than between college and the pros. You can go keep living out the fun of your HS ball, playing with Shabazz Muhammad, Kyle Anderson, and Jordan Adams, and for Korey McCray, or you can go to a place that will work your butt off, turn you into human iron and whose fanbase will worship the game you play, holding "church" twice a week. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but then again, I'm one of the "pilgrims"

3) Danny Manning is no longer at Kansas, granted. However, the truth is that neither Manning nor Andrea Hudy were EVER on the Bruins' staff. Don't make the mistake of passing up an opportunity to work with the best strength/conditioning coach in all of men's college basketball just because you no longer have the option of working with Manning.

Whatever path you choose, more power to you. You sound like a kid who has a good head on his shoulders, and while I'm not a particular fan of hat ceremonies, I don't see anything wrong with a young guy taking a little enjoyment out of the attention he's receiving for his basketball skills. There are no guarantees in life, and you never know when people will stop caring about things like where you are going to school/play basketball. Enjoy it while you can, and hopefully you'll be able to continue a career in which you captivate people's attention and focus.

Best of luck, Mr. Parker (come to KU!)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

I could use a glass of whatever you drank this morning, my friend. :)

kufaninmo 2 years, 8 months ago

if he picks ku, i'll be happy. if not, well, i'll probably just talk a bunch of trash on him on all these sports sites. either way, ku will be awesome.

bennybob 2 years, 8 months ago

So, after 3 pm everyone is going to be on this boards trying to rationalize how we don't need this kid. we never wanted him. and to trust bill self.....even though he was recruiting this kid.

Joel Hood 2 years, 8 months ago

everyone??? I think kufaninmo summarizes the opinion of the majority.

Jayhawk_Nick 2 years, 8 months ago

I would love to add Parker, I just don't see him coming here though. Anybody else see that we are recruiting Mark Lyons from Xavier? Would much rather see him come to KU than Parker, we need a PG bad!

kevz87 2 years, 8 months ago

did anyone watch parker in the MCD's all american game? didn't look that impressive and where would he fit for us. he'd prolly come in here and red shirt and it wouldn't shock me if Lucus red shirts this year. with Traylor, Ellis, Withey, Young and Wesley. I know Lucus is prolly better then Wesley but Wesley has been in our system. Don't need 6 big men. Adams may even red shirt with Mclemore being able to play now and Peters will prolly Red shirt.

dylans 2 years, 8 months ago

i hope Traylor is more Q. Acy than Q, Thomas.

JHAWKNPHX 2 years, 8 months ago

I wish KU played UCLA again this year at Pauley Pavilion. Parker would love to hear our Rock Chalk chant echo throughout their arena just like a couple years ago. The UCLA fans around me could not believe what they were hearing in their own house.

MeanderingHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

UCLA = Log jam of BIGs / No conditioning (see Josh Smith) and 2 stars that will be one n' dones and Parkers not.

Georgia = Big fish / small pond. A couple of years at Georgia will be better then UCLA but not in terms of media attention, playing with a high level team and placing well in the draft when he is ready to move up.

KU = Top notch conditioning / Top notch coaching / Rapid fan base / ALWAYS a quality high performing team with a great shot at the conferance title and a good showing at the tourney.

Now all this does not count in any behind the red curtain gifts? But I still dont get why we are written off so much.

In the end we will be alright with out him. But I still think he could help fill in a missing piece.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

Two words in answer to your question about getting written off:

"flyover country"

(At least in the eyes of the people who do most of the national-level coverage at Yahoo!/Rivals and ESPN)

KULA 2 years, 8 months ago

Parker's gonna pick UCLA. You heard it here first...

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Weigh the intangibles:

Jeff Withey here - Danny Manning not Hollywood - Lawrence No defense req'd - Defend your ass off or you're on the bench. Holland [desperate] - Self [dynamic] Del Taco on Campus - A steady diet of "Hudy Burgers Pac 12 - Real basketball

Conclusion: UCLA

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

You can tell Kentucky isn't in on this kid any longer, because there's absolutely NOTHING on the college basketball home page on ESPN.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

Welp, I'm not seeing a KU hat anywhere within reach, so unless Parker has go-go gadget inspector arms, it's going to be UCLA, Georgia or Duke.

Eric Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

He looks antsy up there, like he just wants it over with. The spectacle they make these things is shameful. I liked that Perry Ellis's just involved him sitting down, stating his decision, then answering a few questions.

Kevin John 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the white hat is a Jayhawk hat, the one facing opposite direction. Awkward..

Kevin John 2 years, 8 months ago

This is boring, the whole team, school, and community is going to speak.

LOL this press conference is getting slayed on twitter right now..

@davetelep: Due to the length of this press conference Tony Parker now only has three years of eligibility remaining.

Kevin John 2 years, 8 months ago

This is boring, the whole team, school, and community is going to speak.

LOL this press conference is getting slayed on twitter right now..

FarSideHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Did he delay the announcement another hour?!

FarSideHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Ok, so it is taking him an hour to announce what would take one second to say.

Who is producing this press conference? The people that do the Oscars?

joeloveshawks 2 years, 8 months ago

I still hope he picks the Hawks but this is quite a spectacle. Does this entire process seem arrogant to anyone else?

litlmikeyb 2 years, 8 months ago

That "highlight" video showed him taking a drink out of a water bottle. Are you serious?

joeloveshawks 2 years, 8 months ago

Honestly. I can't believe I am watching this.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

Not sure what's weirder...

...the fact that they are showing a HS highlight reel for a kid who is twice the size of almost every other kid on the floor...

OR

...the strange some-dude-trippin-out-while-strumming-his-guitar-listlessly music they are playing in the background.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

This presser doesn't seem to jive with the things I've heard Parker himself say.

Wondering if this is more about his parents and/or coaches/school than it is about Parker. Wondering if he is really enjoying all of this, or just dealing with it.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Call me a hater - whatever. I do not want this guy at KU. Fortunately for me, that's not going to be the case anyway . There's no way he's as good as he thinks he is.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

OMG!!!!!! He picked UCLA. Boy, didn't see that coming.

joeloveshawks 2 years, 8 months ago

KU could have used him but I am shocked at how built up this was. Perry Ellis was ranked higher than this kid and as I recall his signing day was just a bit more low key.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 8 months ago

That is because Ellis has class and a small ego...

joeloveshawks 2 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely. This entire circus surrounding Parker makes me all the more pleased to have home grown talent like Ellis who is probably a better player and looks to be a far more down to earth kid.

Eric Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

Good god, an hour to say you're going to join the next class of disappointments at UCLA. His college career will be shorter than that press conference.

Also, NCAA better keep an eye on Howland. You don't go from missing the NIT and nearly getting fired to landing almost all of the top recruits at once. At least Calipari had a few 30 win seasons and a slew of lottery picks to convince new top recruits.

gchawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I realize that I might be just a little partial, but I think this will be one of the biggest decisions Tony ever regrets.

Sam Constance 2 years, 8 months ago

Clearly the ghost of Sam Gilbert is alive and well.

What any self-respecting recruit--let alone 4-5 of them--would be doing out in Westwood after the last three years that UCLA has had is beyond me.

In Parker's case, he clearly has more interest in playing with friends than in becoming a better player. I wish him the best of luck.

We talk around here about how the early tournament exits affect recruiting, and assume that is the reason we haven't gotten the top TOP talent the last couple/few years--at least not on the level of say, Kentucky. But if that logic holds true, then why are kids flocking to programs that have looked like CRAP the past several years and have done it in a TERRIBLE basketball league?

Arizona?

UCLA?

Why?

I've got $ome theorie$ and $u$picion$, but nothing proveable.

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

KU also has Zach Peters who is teammate to Julius Randle. I don't know that Peters would've gotten an offer from KU if not for Randle, but it certainly can't hurt KU's chances to land Randle by having a HS teammate already in the program for a year.

Kevin John 2 years, 8 months ago

Let the kid enjoy his Fat Burger out in Hollywood.

Kevin John 2 years, 8 months ago

Let the kid enjoy his Fat Burger out in Hollywood.

joeloveshawks 2 years, 8 months ago

This is not meant to be rude but UCLA will certainly have the fattest low post duo in the country with him joining Josh Smith.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I couldn't watch Parker's selection show. But I gather from what the posters said above that I didn't miss what sounds like was a one hour "Thank you" to the entire community where he grew up. up4par2000, is it true that Dave Telep twitted (ie. joked)that Parker has just 3 years of eligibility left?

Maybe it's best Parker got in his hour of fame early. What with having to compete for starting time against the Wear twins and Josh Smith, and being on the same team as Muhammad and Anderson, anything written about Parker might read, "Tony What's His Name?"

Oh, well. Next?