Originally published April 16, 2012 at 06:06p.m., updated April 17, 2012 at 12:01a.m.

Andrew White officially signs with KU men’s basketball

Andrew White, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound senior small forward from Miller School in Chester, Va., has committed to KU.

photo

Rivals.com contributed photo

“I’ve seen all of the games Kansas played this year except for one. After watching those, I started to look up a lot of tape on Brandon Rush,” said White, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound guard/forward from Miller School in Charlottesville, Va., who has been compared to Rush, a 6-6 wing with the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.

“I found some of Bill Self’s sets at Kansas when he was there early (in his nine-year tenure) — a lot of YouTube,” White added in a phone conversation. “I sat down with either my dad or coach to watch a good majority of the games.”

White, Rivals.com’s No. 51-rated player, is determined to arrive at KU ready for action.

In announcing White’s signing Monday, the sixth day of the monthlong spring signing period, Self said he expected White to be “an impact player for us beginning from day one upon his arrival on campus.”

“He’s a tall guard. He can shoot it. He’s a good athlete. He’s tough, loves to play and certainly will be a great representative of our university,” Self said.

White, who averaged 22.9 points and 10 rebounds a game for (20-10) Miller School this past season, chose KU over North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Richmond, Texas, Georgetown and others.

“We had talked about that. Coach told me that was his need and expectation,” White said of the “impact player” tag. “It’s not a big surprise, just something I need to keep working toward every day to get there and meet his standards.”

White signed his letter before family and friends at an afternoon reception at his high school. He said he has been working on individual drills since the end of the season.

“Recently I’ve been jumping rope and working on leg strength and my vertical and ballhandling,” said White, who attended both of KU’s games at the Final Four in New Orleans. “In general, my footwork and my pull-up jumper. It’s something I need to work on every day. I will be playing a lot of 2-guard. It will help me help the team and the point guard. That’s a main focus.”

White said he planned to attend first session of summer school and report to campus in early June. He’s been thinking about requesting either jersey No. 4 or 25.

“I’m glad we can finally talk about Andrew,” Self said. “He’s been committed for a long time, and we are so excited to have him. He’s has been very well drilled and well coached at Miller under (coach) Scott Willard. The transition to the collegiate level should be very smooth for him.

“Andrew’s entire family has been great and so supportive to us throughout this process and what a great job Joe Dooley did in recruiting him,” Self added. “One of the reasons we like him so much is the quality of person that he is. I believe having the Whites as part of our KU family will do nothing but enhance our program.”

White hopes to be part of a lot of victories and Final Four berths.

“It was a good experience from the outside looking in,” he said of his trip to New Orleans with his dad. “It’s a place I would like to get to. I see that level of play takes a lot of work and good coaching. I will work to get back there, do a little every day so I can contribute.”

Parker ppd.: Tony Parker, a 6-9 center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., now plans to choose a school Monday, not Friday, his high school coach told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He has a final list of KU, Duke, UCLA, Georgia and Ohio State.

Comments

martyks 1 year, 11 months ago

Rick Mount was the greatest pure jump shooter in the history of college basketball, but he could not get his shot off in the pros. Sometimes, going up a level changes everything. From what I have seen, however, Andrew is the real deal. I can't wait to see him in uniform!

jaybate 2 years ago

The reason White was not courted by most of the blue blood programs was the 33" one step jump. Self must believe Hudy can add 4" to his hop, otherwise White is not a Self-grade perimeter player. To put this in perspective, Tyrel jumped 40". Travis has to be near that, maybe more. BRush had to bounce 38 minimum. At 6-6 in high school, a 33" vertical seems alot, but in D1 it means 6-4 Tyrel and Travis with 40s threaten every look you get.

This will be interesting to see unfold.

1stnamemistermiddlenameperiod 2 years ago

I lived in VA for 12 years. My first year (my freshman year in college), Allen Iverson (Hampton, VA native) showed up at the courts outside the men's dorms to take on the ballers at Hampton University. That same year, Ronald Curry (#1 PG & #1 QB in the nation) was at Hampton High, Michael Vick was completely overshadowed, Aaron Brooks (former Saints/Raiders QB), and guys like Plaxico Burress (Steelers, Giants, Jets), Percy Harvin (Vikings), and Vernon Macklin (Pistons) were waiting in the wings. This is also the same place that gave us Alonzo Morning, Bruce Smith, Lawrence Taylor...

The list goes on.

My point is, I've been screaming for more VA athletes at KU for a while. Texas, Florida, and Georgia may produce more athletes, but the quality of athlete in VA is second to none. I'm excited to have some VA talent at KU. I hope White's experience gets KU more exposure in the commonwealth.

Joe Baker 2 years ago

knotts - let's brk it down:

TRob +1 Tharpe Teahan +1 Wesley Withey TT +1 EJ Lindsay +1 Mac Rel Traylor Young

12 - 4 = 8 Adding: Peters Ellis White Lucas 8+4 = 12

+1 extra (Rio or Parker?)

At this point it is likely Rio's since he already committed, or he failed to qualify. I thought for sure that Rio was already counted. Either Parker has committed to Self or Rio's scores came in to the Registrar's office making him eligible. Self made room for one of these players. How did Parker's announcement and Rio's test results hit at the exact same time? What are the goofy odds? I just don't understand if Parker knows where he is going, why he doesn't announce. He's gone from Thursday to Friday and now to next Monday. What is Self up to at this point? Damn it.

knottshawk 2 years ago

This article says "KU now is at the NCAA limit of 13 scholarship players for next season. Junior-to-be Justin Wesley, who arrived as a walk-on, was placed on scholarship last season." while the FAQ article says KU is at 12... Is this article just counting Adams as already signed? Or is the other article mistaken?

FarSideHawk 2 years ago

Guys, I'm a bit confused as to why people are rating Anrio Adams as an immediate difference maker. To be fair, I haven't seen him play much, but based on where he is rated, he is around where Thaarpe was.

I do believe Naadir will be a factor next year after this year's experience, but am surprised to see more people counting on Adams to contribute next year instead of Naadir.

What am I missing?!

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

Oh yes! Welcome to KU, Andrew White!

I can't wait to see this team in action next year. Lots of great recruits coming in. I wonder if Self will go back to his four-guard system of 2008, but this year it will be Johnson, White, McLemore & Releford instead of Robinson, Chalmers, Rush & Collins.

There will be some real battles for PT next season. Tharpe vs. Adams (if he qualifies) for backup PG Ellis vs. Traylor for starting 4 spot (I think Ellis has the upper hand coming in) Young vs. Traylor OR Ellis (whichever doesn't start) for backup 4 spot Peters vs. Lucas vs. Wesley for remaining backup post spots

The real certainties are the returning starters - EJ, Rele, and Withey. Those three are the core that everything else will be built around. BMac is almost guaranteed to start unless White comes in a blows everyone away.

The possible combinations of players on the floor next season is absolutely mind-boggling.

BrockIII 2 years ago

In his interview on 1320, you find that Andrew is a no-nonsense, motivated, and intelligent guy. He said he's now at 6'6, 210 with a 33" vertical off one step and he's putting in serious man hours to work on his strength and conditioning in the offseason, and study film of Big 12 guards, which is impressive for someone his age.

He also feels very confident on the defensive side of the ball (ability to guard the 1-4 positions) and of course, stroking shots from the perimeter, which is going to be a tremendous addition.

BrockIII 2 years ago

ANDREW WHITE AUDIO AND VIDEO

Interviews with Andrew and his coach - Andrew's interview starts at 22:00 http://www.klwn.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5793073

A couple of good videos of Andrew's play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHLCLU... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBEIkO...

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

With the 2012/13 recruiting fog clearing, this is what I understand is the basic depth chart as well as flex positions [primary position listed first] and please correct me if I am wrong:

[5] Center - Withey [5], Lucas [5], Traylor [5,4]

[4] Power forward - Ellis [4,3], Peters [4,5], Wesley [4]

[3] Swing man - Releford [3,2], Young [3,4]

[2] Shooting Guard - BenMac [2,3], White [2,3], Adams [2,1]

[1] Point Guard - Johnson [1,2], Tharpe [1]

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

To me, Andrew White is going to be A&W, sweet and smooth, just like the best root beer on the face of the planet!!

Welome home!!

William Blake 2 years ago

Welcome to Jayhawksville, Andrew!

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

Hopefully, when he's done here, he'll be talked about with the same respect as another fellow name White that used to play here some time back.....

REHawk 2 years ago

Evidently, the signing of Andrew White extends our impact newcomers to at least 3 for next season: White, Ellis, McLemore. If Traylor, Lucas or Peters could step up as a pleasant surprise (or impact by committee), we sould be in decent shape. Hopefully, Naadir comes on like Russ Rob, and Anrio Adams gets cleared for a scholarship, to back up the point guard position. Kevin Young represents a dandy ace in the hole. Wesley enters his 3rd year in the system; so should settle in to be a more dependable spot sub, extracting more positive from a very athletic body which has been plagued with fouling problems. Practice sessions will definitely be more competitive than those before Christmas last season. A bevy of competitors vying for playing time at multiple positions.

Clarence Haynes 2 years ago

I like what this young man says in his interviews. I really sense that he is of great character and, as exemplified by studying film and working on fundamentals, he is all about being in a position to get off to a solid start come day one in Lawrence. This young man will be a solid addition to what is a strong KU freshman class.

IrishCharlie 2 years ago

"Blue-chip basketball prospect Andrew White, who orally committed to Kansas University on Dec. 2, learned a lot about his new school before finally signing a letter-of-intent with the Jayhawks on Monday."

Did he learn that the school's name is the University of Kansas?

MeanderingHawk 2 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing Mr. White play this coming year, especially because I think perimiter shooting is where the focus will be.

As far as Parker going to UCLA....don't they have David Wear and his brother Travis playing this year? I think they both redshirted last year due to a transfer from NC (not sure why). Both 6' 10", 220lbs, David I think was a Mcdonalds all American and I believe they play the 4. Not to mention two other bigs who play the 5. My point, it's not exactly clear sailing for Parker and PT at UCLA either.

But all this waiting and showboating do not look good for us.

april28 2 years ago

I hope Andrew picks 25 - my favorite KU basketball number. I love seeing it on the court and he seems like just the type of kid who could do it justice.

My understanding on Parker is that the local Lids store went out of business so he won't be able to get to the mall until Saturday, which necessitates a Monday announcement. He could have ordered online but did not want to pay express shipping to get the hats here prior to the news conference on Friday.

Let's all hope that he's going to choose snapback hats - we wouldn't want the hat store to be out of his size, causing yet another delay.

KULA 2 years ago

A 6'6" two? As opposed to a 6'3" three (BM)? I love it.

And I figured Parker was a lock for UCLA, but Bill showing Merv the door makes me think he may be headed our way. I feel terrible for Merv, though. Gotta be terrible to get recruited, then told, "ya know what, I don't think we can use you."

Good luck Merv. Hope you have a great college basketball career.

jayhawker_97 2 years ago

welcome to KU, mr White! well thought decision. you won't regret it. KU definitely needs a sharp shooter like you. can't wait to watch you in the big stage!

midwest_muser 2 years ago

PLEASE..a better picture of Andrew...he's a dashing young man! That picture..not so much... at least sub in a picture of Baty's mom until a better one of Andrew is available....

trustyourSelf 2 years ago

I love everything I hear about Andrew White. Watching tape of Rush, coming to our final four games, watching all of the seasons games but 1, working hard on his D, has a great family background, etc.

Prepare for immediate impact from this guy.

RecruitHawk 2 years ago

KU needs to go hard for Mr. Parker. If we don't get him then skip Josiah and anyone else to save the scholly for next year. We already have Greene (13 rank) and Frankamp (65) but I see the best class in years coming up. Al Freeman (14) is heavily leaning towards being a Jayhawk with Greene helping on the recruiting pitch. Chris Walker (7) has KU in a "top 4" with FSU,FU, and UK. He was quoted saying KU was the leader in December but no real update. KU is also in mix for Jabari Parker (1) and Julius Randle (2) to name a few... I see Freeman as a potential lock and don't be surprised if Walker joins him. The other are a bit of a stretch but still doable.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years ago

I'm already anxious for the 2013 recruiting class! We already have verbals from Greene and Frankamp. Plus Nino Jackson is dead set on KU (needs to take care of things in the class room) and I like our chances of landing either Jabari Parker, Chris Walker, or Julius Randle.

Thomas said it best, "KU doesn't rebuild, but reload!"

97jhawk 2 years ago

Maybe Parker needs a bit more time to save up money to buy all those hats. You just never know........

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years ago

I hope this kid is another Dooley special...that semi overlooked, all around stud who makes other programs annoyed they overlooked him.

Is Self in love with this recruiting class?

How is it that say Providence nails a top ranked class?

What are the starting lineup predictions all?

Don't feel bad for Merv. He could have stayed. He will benefit from this past season in the long run. Good kid, bright future. Almost every year we have a transfer. Part of the territory. He will do well...at Tulsa..,

midwest_muser 2 years ago

How about a little friendlier picture.....

Joe Baker 2 years ago

Welcome Andrew to Jayhawk Nation

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

This kid should be an impact player..I don't see him starting but will be one of the first off the bench. Still a year away but wait till Brannen Greene gets here. Another 6-foot-6 guard who has steadily moved up the rankings. AND can hit free throws!

midwest_muser 2 years ago

Everything I read and see about him makes me smile...I like the character of the kids we have coming...Welcome Andrew.

wrwlumpy 2 years ago

I have family in Charlottesville who say he is very similar to Rush. He is gifted offensively, hopefully he'll learn how to play defense. That is always the hardest part of being a Jayhawk.

DDDHawk 2 years ago

Andrew- We can't wait to see you next year! Welcome to the Jayhawk Family! You won't regret your choice!

Woody Cragg 2 years ago

Hopefully we have gained some desparately needed depth at several positions now. I'm still wowed over the defense this years team dealt out with no more bodies than they had, but the refs don't call nearly as clean of a game as in the past either. If this young man can play defense, he'll get buku PT. Shoot, I'm already thinkin 9 straight. For the life of me I have no idea how a coaching staff can manage all these egos. That's a marvel in itself. I truly believe Danny was a great influence in that aspect. He'll undoubtedly be missed by more than just the bigs. Maybe Wayne can begin to play a larger role-JMO.

mikehawk 2 years ago

Loved reading awhile back about Andrew and his dad working on footwork, watching film and preparing for the defensive end. I like it.

I feel bad about Merv's transfer, and hopefully coach warns them and their families this may happen. I still don't like it. I'm sure they are told they can stay, but they also hear the fix is in and they don't fit in the picture. Merv had great body language on the bench all year, and that means a great deal. It also looks like Merv and his family are handling it with class.

jhox 2 years ago

I hear he can really shoot the 3. That's something we missed this past season. Tyshawn and Elijah had their moments, and Teahan had a few nice games, but we didn't have a 3 point shooter I would call consistent. Let's hope he's the answer to that need. I really thought that was the biggest difference between us and Kentucky in the championship game. Elijah got hot, but it was too little too late. Just imagine the numbers T Rob would have put up if he had a consistent 3 point shooter to spread the defense.

rockchalkinit 2 years ago

Welcome on board MR White!!!! RCJHKU!!!!

Jason Keller 2 years ago

Guard???? Wahoo!! He was listed as small forward on ESPN but I had a feeling he would be playing guard at Kansas. Just so people know this kid is ACTUALLY 6'6" tall it's not just BS to look good on a line-up.... He is a little taller than Travis and much taller than Elijah. I think that size at the guard position is incredibly under rated, the best teams always have big perimeter guys. Kidd-Gilchrist is 6'7"

JHawk06 2 years ago

Rock Chalk! This guy sounds like a class act

Welcome Andrew, I can't wait to see how good you are on and off the court.

JHAWK34TRUTH 2 years ago

Welcome to the family Andrew! Have fun and hard work will payoff. Can't wait to see you out there.

Rock chalk

ksbball1 2 years ago

Great news! Next years team is shaping up nicely. Now if we could land Tony Parker on Friday. RCJHK

Clarence Haynes 2 years ago

Shoot out the lights Andrew!

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years ago

Well, there's your Bill Self (&staff), recruiting all over the nation: Oregon, Wichita, Texas, Virginia. That's cool...

fancy80 2 years ago

great addition to our Jayhawk family. Welcome Andrew! Rock Chalk!

Joe Hyde 2 years ago

Wow! I'm still in a zone from KU's fantastic tournament run, and now comes news that we get an immediate impact recruit in Andrew White. Man, I'm licking my chops; can't wait for the 2012-13 season!

Alohahawk 2 years ago

Every KU recruit is special, because they've committed to the best college BB program around. Mahalo from the islands, Andrew. Glad to have you aboard. Hopefully, I'll get to watch you play in person, if or when the Jayhawks make their next trip to Hawaii.

phogphan2000 2 years ago

Great job Coach Dooley, welcome to Kansas Mr. White!

Jeff Kilgore 2 years ago

Oh Yeah!!! Welcome, Andrew to the University of Kansas! You're going to be happy that you signed here! If Coach Self is excited have you here, everyone is going to be ecstatic!

supermario15 2 years ago