Originally published April 16, 2012 at 06:06p.m., updated April 17, 2012 at 12:01a.m.

Andrew White officially signs with KU men’s basketball

Andrew White, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound senior small forward from Miller School in Chester, Va., has committed to KU.

photo

Rivals.com contributed photo

Blue-chip basketball prospect Andrew White, who orally committed to Kansas University on Dec. 2, learned a lot about his new school before finally signing a letter-of-intent with the Jayhawks on Monday.

“I’ve seen all of the games Kansas played this year except for one. After watching those, I started to look up a lot of tape on Brandon Rush,” said White, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound guard/forward from Miller School in Charlottesville, Va., who has been compared to Rush, a 6-6 wing with the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.

“I found some of Bill Self’s sets at Kansas when he was there early (in his nine-year tenure) — a lot of YouTube,” White added in a phone conversation. “I sat down with either my dad or coach to watch a good majority of the games.”

White, Rivals.com’s No. 51-rated player, is determined to arrive at KU ready for action.

In announcing White’s signing Monday, the sixth day of the monthlong spring signing period, Self said he expected White to be “an impact player for us beginning from day one upon his arrival on campus.”

“He’s a tall guard. He can shoot it. He’s a good athlete. He’s tough, loves to play and certainly will be a great representative of our university,” Self said.

White, who averaged 22.9 points and 10 rebounds a game for (20-10) Miller School this past season, chose KU over North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Richmond, Texas, Georgetown and others.

“We had talked about that. Coach told me that was his need and expectation,” White said of the “impact player” tag. “It’s not a big surprise, just something I need to keep working toward every day to get there and meet his standards.”

White signed his letter before family and friends at an afternoon reception at his high school. He said he has been working on individual drills since the end of the season.

“Recently I’ve been jumping rope and working on leg strength and my vertical and ballhandling,” said White, who attended both of KU’s games at the Final Four in New Orleans. “In general, my footwork and my pull-up jumper. It’s something I need to work on every day. I will be playing a lot of 2-guard. It will help me help the team and the point guard. That’s a main focus.”

White said he planned to attend first session of summer school and report to campus in early June. He’s been thinking about requesting either jersey No. 4 or 25.

“I’m glad we can finally talk about Andrew,” Self said. “He’s been committed for a long time, and we are so excited to have him. He’s has been very well drilled and well coached at Miller under (coach) Scott Willard. The transition to the collegiate level should be very smooth for him.

“Andrew’s entire family has been great and so supportive to us throughout this process and what a great job Joe Dooley did in recruiting him,” Self added. “One of the reasons we like him so much is the quality of person that he is. I believe having the Whites as part of our KU family will do nothing but enhance our program.”

White hopes to be part of a lot of victories and Final Four berths.

“It was a good experience from the outside looking in,” he said of his trip to New Orleans with his dad. “It’s a place I would like to get to. I see that level of play takes a lot of work and good coaching. I will work to get back there, do a little every day so I can contribute.”

Parker ppd.: Tony Parker, a 6-9 center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., now plans to choose a school Monday, not Friday, his high school coach told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He has a final list of KU, Duke, UCLA, Georgia and Ohio State.

Comments

David Reed 2 years, 5 months ago

Welcome Andrew to the Jayhawk family

Damian Glaze 2 years, 5 months ago

There aren't too many Andrew's in the black community that like to go by Andy. Not sure why, but I have not met one ever in my life. Just a little heads up.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh, really. Where is your research?

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh Yeah!!! Welcome, Andrew to the University of Kansas! You're going to be happy that you signed here! If Coach Self is excited have you here, everyone is going to be ecstatic!

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

Great job Coach Dooley, welcome to Kansas Mr. White!

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Every KU recruit is special, because they've committed to the best college BB program around. Mahalo from the islands, Andrew. Glad to have you aboard. Hopefully, I'll get to watch you play in person, if or when the Jayhawks make their next trip to Hawaii.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow! I'm still in a zone from KU's fantastic tournament run, and now comes news that we get an immediate impact recruit in Andrew White. Man, I'm licking my chops; can't wait for the 2012-13 season!

fancy80 2 years, 5 months ago

great addition to our Jayhawk family. Welcome Andrew! Rock Chalk!

Michael Thorp 2 years, 5 months ago

Great news! Next years team is shaping up nicely. Now if we could land Tony Parker on Friday. RCJHK

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 5 months ago

News on ESPN is that Parker has pushed his announcement to Monday. The more I hear about him and this prima donna process, the less I really think he can handle Self and the staff pushing him to get better.

Alex Berger 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think it's him being a prima donna, I think he just has a lot of good opportunities and doesn't know which one to pick. I like what I've heard about him as a person and a player.

Eride 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed, everything I have read about him makes him seem like a good kid.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 5 months ago

I commented at length on this in a prior article, but simply put, I couldn't agree with you more.

kranny 2 years, 5 months ago

Why does pushing a young man's decision on where he will basically define his basketball career off for a few more weeks or months automatically qualify a player as being a prima donna? Sounds like a good kid and should be a beast.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Hentioned liking Coach's D and Hudy's training.

Sounds pretty smart to me. Probably harder without Danny.

JayDocMD 2 years, 5 months ago

Would be shocked if Tony Parker winds up at KU. Currently, odds are: UCLA >> Georgia=Duke > KU=Ohio St.

JHAWK34TRUTH 2 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to the family Andrew! Have fun and hard work will payoff. Can't wait to see you out there.

Rock chalk

JHawk06 2 years, 5 months ago

Rock Chalk! This guy sounds like a class act

Welcome Andrew, I can't wait to see how good you are on and off the court.

Jason Keller 2 years, 5 months ago

Guard???? Wahoo!! He was listed as small forward on ESPN but I had a feeling he would be playing guard at Kansas. Just so people know this kid is ACTUALLY 6'6" tall it's not just BS to look good on a line-up.... He is a little taller than Travis and much taller than Elijah. I think that size at the guard position is incredibly under rated, the best teams always have big perimeter guys. Kidd-Gilchrist is 6'7"

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't he have a wingspan of something like 6-11? Crazy!

oldalum 2 years, 5 months ago

And I love it that he immediately started studying tapes of Brandon Rush, another 6-6 guard.

Sam Constance 2 years, 5 months ago

Not to detract from your overall point, which I agree with, but Kidd-Gilchrist was a SF any way you slice it.

rockchalkinit 2 years, 5 months ago

Welcome on board MR White!!!! RCJHKU!!!!

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

I hear he can really shoot the 3. That's something we missed this past season. Tyshawn and Elijah had their moments, and Teahan had a few nice games, but we didn't have a 3 point shooter I would call consistent. Let's hope he's the answer to that need. I really thought that was the biggest difference between us and Kentucky in the championship game. Elijah got hot, but it was too little too late. Just imagine the numbers T Rob would have put up if he had a consistent 3 point shooter to spread the defense.

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 5 months ago

If you think he is a good shooter and the answer, you will be very happy in two years when Conner Frankamp gets here....I think I read that as a junior this year he shot 94% on free throws and was right at 50% on threes. Considering alot of players improve their shooting senior year of high school and early college, those are incredible numbers.

Alex Berger 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm super pumped about Frankamp but I hope he doesn't end up like Jeremy Case, a lights out shooter who never sees the court because he is too skinny and can't handle Self's defensive responsibilities.

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

Difference between Case and Frankamp is Frankamp is ranked 51st by Rivals right now whereas Jeremy Case was not even in the top 150 when he came out of high school.

John Boyle 2 years, 5 months ago

He is a shooter but he won't come close to those numbers in college. It is much more pressure packed than city league basketball and he will be shooting over much bigger guards. He is not very big at all. He is lucky to be 5'10" probably shorter than that in reality.

Kurt Eskilson 2 years, 5 months ago

Keiton Page (5' 9") lit us up more than once for OSU …

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

I have no doubt Frankamp will be able to score at the D1 level. What I like about him is that he can hit from anywhere. He can hit the 3, he can drive and pull up. He's a natural born scorer. The question will be can he play good enough defense to satisfy Self enough to play him. I'm optimistic that he will but you never know. Recall how long it took Reed to get any significant playing time (though, granted, he wasn't as highly touted as Frankamp.)

We still need another point guard. I love the Junior to be at Grandview High in KC, Tyrone Taylor, but he's 2 years away from playing anywhere in college and I'm not even sure he's on KU's radar yet. I know he's on the radar of several other quality high D1 programs. I heard he lit it up in a scrimmage against Frankamp's Under Armour (formerly Pump and Run) team the other day. He plays on the younger age Under Armour team. I'm hoping Self and company make their move soon, so we don't see another high quality KC area player go elsewhere and be a star (like Denmon, Treavor Releford, Burks, etc.) Long, fast point guards with good court vision, who are quick and can shoot the 3 don't grow up 40 miles from KU's campus very often.

mikehawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Loved reading awhile back about Andrew and his dad working on footwork, watching film and preparing for the defensive end. I like it.

I feel bad about Merv's transfer, and hopefully coach warns them and their families this may happen. I still don't like it. I'm sure they are told they can stay, but they also hear the fix is in and they don't fit in the picture. Merv had great body language on the bench all year, and that means a great deal. It also looks like Merv and his family are handling it with class.

trustyourSelf 2 years, 5 months ago

Well said mikehawk! The world needs to hear your opinions more often.

Alex Berger 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed but Merv and most of our other transfers knew they were coming to Kansas and had a bunch of future NBA players they would have to contend for time with. Most guys don't really get squeezed out like Merv did but I guess it is an unfortunate possibility.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully we have gained some desparately needed depth at several positions now. I'm still wowed over the defense this years team dealt out with no more bodies than they had, but the refs don't call nearly as clean of a game as in the past either. If this young man can play defense, he'll get buku PT. Shoot, I'm already thinkin 9 straight. For the life of me I have no idea how a coaching staff can manage all these egos. That's a marvel in itself. I truly believe Danny was a great influence in that aspect. He'll undoubtedly be missed by more than just the bigs. Maybe Wayne can begin to play a larger role-JMO.

DDDHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Andrew- We can't wait to see you next year! Welcome to the Jayhawk Family! You won't regret your choice!

wrwlumpy 2 years, 5 months ago

I have family in Charlottesville who say he is very similar to Rush. He is gifted offensively, hopefully he'll learn how to play defense. That is always the hardest part of being a Jayhawk.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

This kid should be an impact player..I don't see him starting but will be one of the first off the bench. Still a year away but wait till Brannen Greene gets here. Another 6-foot-6 guard who has steadily moved up the rankings. AND can hit free throws!

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

And add in Frankamp and we will have one of the top front courts in the country.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

Welcome Andrew to Jayhawk Nation

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope this kid is another Dooley special...that semi overlooked, all around stud who makes other programs annoyed they overlooked him.

Is Self in love with this recruiting class?

How is it that say Providence nails a top ranked class?

What are the starting lineup predictions all?

Don't feel bad for Merv. He could have stayed. He will benefit from this past season in the long run. Good kid, bright future. Almost every year we have a transfer. Part of the territory. He will do well...at Tulsa..,

97jhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Parker needs a bit more time to save up money to buy all those hats. You just never know........

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm already anxious for the 2013 recruiting class! We already have verbals from Greene and Frankamp. Plus Nino Jackson is dead set on KU (needs to take care of things in the class room) and I like our chances of landing either Jabari Parker, Chris Walker, or Julius Randle.

Thomas said it best, "KU doesn't rebuild, but reload!"

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't believe we are recruiting Jackson.

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

Go after Allerik Freeman, drop Jackson.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

Nino is playing AAU ball this summer and plans on attending prep school this fall. He has been a KU fan his entire life and I think he is talented enough to deserve a shot to be on the KU roster. What's the saying around here, once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk?

RecruitHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

KU needs to go hard for Mr. Parker. If we don't get him then skip Josiah and anyone else to save the scholly for next year. We already have Greene (13 rank) and Frankamp (65) but I see the best class in years coming up. Al Freeman (14) is heavily leaning towards being a Jayhawk with Greene helping on the recruiting pitch. Chris Walker (7) has KU in a "top 4" with FSU,FU, and UK. He was quoted saying KU was the leader in December but no real update. KU is also in mix for Jabari Parker (1) and Julius Randle (2) to name a few... I see Freeman as a potential lock and don't be surprised if Walker joins him. The other are a bit of a stretch but still doable.

trustyourSelf 2 years, 5 months ago

I love what you're saying, but are you being overly optimistic?

RecruitHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I see what your saying, Jabari is a no and Julius most likely... We should go for Walker.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I doubt any school, even Kenstinky, could get both Randle and Walker, since they both play about the same position. But if KU could get one plus Allerik Freeman (adding them to Greene and Frankamp) that would make for a top three or better 2013 ranked class. Rumor has it that Jabari Parker has been a strong lean to Washington for quite a while. Julius Randle has been praising Duke for just about as long. Chris Walker would be my choice to go all out for. He's 6' 10" and may still be growing. (He shot up about 6 or 8 inches, I believe it was his sophomare year.)

Are there any other players with names of colors? KU has White coming this season, and Greene the following year. How about a "Crimson" or a "Blue"?

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

One thing to keep in mind about Julius Randle that works in KU's favor is Zach Peters who also goes to Prestonwood Christian Academy and I'm sure is working on trying to bring Randle to KU so they can play together again for a year or two.

dylans 2 years, 5 months ago

I haven't seen them play, but the box scores I have seen make Peters look like a more efficient player than Randle. I don't doubt that Randle has more upside, but not in a one and done vs. a 4 year player.

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

I want Randle, and have to believe we're on his very short list.

trustyourSelf 2 years, 5 months ago

I love everything I hear about Andrew White. Watching tape of Rush, coming to our final four games, watching all of the seasons games but 1, working hard on his D, has a great family background, etc.

Prepare for immediate impact from this guy.

jayhawker_97 2 years, 5 months ago

welcome to KU, mr White! well thought decision. you won't regret it. KU definitely needs a sharp shooter like you. can't wait to watch you in the big stage!

KULA 2 years, 5 months ago

A 6'6" two? As opposed to a 6'3" three (BM)? I love it.

And I figured Parker was a lock for UCLA, but Bill showing Merv the door makes me think he may be headed our way. I feel terrible for Merv, though. Gotta be terrible to get recruited, then told, "ya know what, I don't think we can use you."

Good luck Merv. Hope you have a great college basketball career.

april28 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope Andrew picks 25 - my favorite KU basketball number. I love seeing it on the court and he seems like just the type of kid who could do it justice.

My understanding on Parker is that the local Lids store went out of business so he won't be able to get to the mall until Saturday, which necessitates a Monday announcement. He could have ordered online but did not want to pay express shipping to get the hats here prior to the news conference on Friday.

Let's all hope that he's going to choose snapback hats - we wouldn't want the hat store to be out of his size, causing yet another delay.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

Let's get into this a little.

25 is elite, without question. Championship material.

-Danny Manning -Brandon Rush -B.H. Born actually wore #25 for 2 seasons at KU, even though they retired #23. Probably because they did the ceremonies for Manning and Born in the same season.

4 is also elite, but lacking a national champion. Hoag was #5 in '52.

-Sherron Collins -Nick Collison -Charlie Hoag -Ryan Robertson

24 isn't bad. Kind of a championship role player number of note.

-Sasha Kaun -Chris Piper -Dean Smith -Travis Releford (almost, but he's still writing his history)

also Alonzo Jamison

15 rings pretty clear

-Elijah Johnson -Mario Chalmers -Bud Stallworth -JoJo White

11 is a must is you are a point guard. Wonder who the next 11 will be.

-Aaron Miles -Jaque Vaughn -Otto Schnellbacher

-Wayne Simien -Rex Walters -Archie Marshall -Bob Frederick RIP

I know I probably messed up somewhere here so please correct or add to this.

Also, I'm hoping either Perry Ellis, Landon Lucas or Zach Peters dons #16 this year to honor Clyde Lovellette. The guy isn't going to be around forever, and he's one of my all time favorite Hawks.

ohjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I think you're going to be waiting a while to see anyone in a Jayhawk uniform wear #16 again. In the NCAA, and high schools in most, if not all states, the numerals on a uniform can only be 0-5. 6-9 are not allowed. I believe it is to cut down on confusion when officials report fouls, etc, at the scorer's table.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Yep. Ref's can only hold up five digits (on one hand) when signaling to the scorer's table. Hence, 1 thru 5. Can you imagine a 3 digit number? Everyone would get confused.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

That explains the complete lack of any recent players with 6-9. I almost mentioned it but was getting long winded as it was. Thanks. That's a cool tid bit.

Maybe they should try to make an exception. That would be an even greater honor.

AverageCitizen 2 years, 5 months ago

4 is also elite, but lacking a national champion. Hoag was #5 in '52.

-Sherron Collins -Nick Collison -Charlie Hoag -Ryan Robertson

I believe Sherron won a national championship.

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

Duh. I knew I would screw some of this up.

dylans 2 years, 5 months ago

I think Tyshawn wore 15 as a frosh.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 5 months ago

I'd throw #10 into the mix for elite KU Jersey Numbers.

I don't have the history in front of me but Hinrich and Taylor are obvious.

MeanderingHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm looking forward to seeing Mr. White play this coming year, especially because I think perimiter shooting is where the focus will be.

As far as Parker going to UCLA....don't they have David Wear and his brother Travis playing this year? I think they both redshirted last year due to a transfer from NC (not sure why). Both 6' 10", 220lbs, David I think was a Mcdonalds all American and I believe they play the 4. Not to mention two other bigs who play the 5. My point, it's not exactly clear sailing for Parker and PT at UCLA either.

But all this waiting and showboating do not look good for us.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 5 months ago

I like what this young man says in his interviews. I really sense that he is of great character and, as exemplified by studying film and working on fundamentals, he is all about being in a position to get off to a solid start come day one in Lawrence. This young man will be a solid addition to what is a strong KU freshman class.

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Evidently, the signing of Andrew White extends our impact newcomers to at least 3 for next season: White, Ellis, McLemore. If Traylor, Lucas or Peters could step up as a pleasant surprise (or impact by committee), we sould be in decent shape. Hopefully, Naadir comes on like Russ Rob, and Anrio Adams gets cleared for a scholarship, to back up the point guard position. Kevin Young represents a dandy ace in the hole. Wesley enters his 3rd year in the system; so should settle in to be a more dependable spot sub, extracting more positive from a very athletic body which has been plagued with fouling problems. Practice sessions will definitely be more competitive than those before Christmas last season. A bevy of competitors vying for playing time at multiple positions.

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Withey must be testing Andrea's endurance, her showing up at morning training tables to forcefeed those breakfast burritos. Here's hoping that Releford is now out of his boot, well on the mend for a senior season when, it is to be hoped, he won't be forced to play so many exhausting stressful minutes. If he becomes a 25 minute player, we should see some high energy defense and a more rested shooting hand. If Elijah could be freed from playing the many minutes which TT was forced to post last season, he, too, might be more rested for explosive slashing and steadier contribution from longrange. All in all, what a boon to the coaching staff, having access to a full (nearly full) cadre of talented players at all positions. At the moment, only the 4 position would appear to represent a question mark...as well as a backup for Withey. Looks to be a team which will be tall, long and fast, much more rested. But missing the tremendous contributions of T-Rob and TT! (If Parker does not sign, it looks more and more like Ellis at the 4.)

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

I think With all the guys in the 6'5-6'8" range, Bill is gonna play around with the 3. Young can play it. Releford can play it. MacLemore could play it, and even though White says he's a 2, he is what Bill wants him to be, and that could easily be a 3, which I'm sure he'll be fine with.

All that puts Perry Ellis at the 4 in my mind. A 4 who will step out and shoot.

PG: Johnson, Tharpe SG: MacLemore, White SF: Releford, Young, White PF: Ellis, Wesley, Peters C : Withey, Lucas

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

True, but only because I stupidly left out Traylor.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully, when he's done here, he'll be talked about with the same respect as another fellow name White that used to play here some time back.....

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

Too bad #15 will be unavailable. See above.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

To me, Andrew White is going to be A&W, sweet and smooth, just like the best root beer on the face of the planet!!

Welome home!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

With the 2012/13 recruiting fog clearing, this is what I understand is the basic depth chart as well as flex positions [primary position listed first] and please correct me if I am wrong:

[5] Center - Withey [5], Lucas [5], Traylor [5,4]

[4] Power forward - Ellis [4,3], Peters [4,5], Wesley [4]

[3] Swing man - Releford [3,2], Young [3,4]

[2] Shooting Guard - BenMac [2,3], White [2,3], Adams [2,1]

[1] Point Guard - Johnson [1,2], Tharpe [1]

BrockIII 2 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully, Adams qualifies (we'll know soon) - by all accounts, the guy can flat out play - shoot, handle, defend. From what I've read about him, he potentially could fit the combo guard mold and handle the ball behind Johnson. There are obvious learning curves for Frosh, so we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think we will ever see Kevin Young play any meaningful minutes at the 3 position at KU - you are lumped in with the "bigs", not the "smalls", unless you can prove to defend "smalls", see Little, Morris, Wright, etc. Also, I'm not sure that Ellis will be used at the 3 anytime soon for similar reasons.

This is going to be a fascinating team to watch grow next year.

BrockIII 2 years, 5 months ago

ANDREW WHITE AUDIO AND VIDEO

Interviews with Andrew and his coach - Andrew's interview starts at 22:00 http://www.klwn.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5793073

A couple of good videos of Andrew's play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHLCLU... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBEIkO...

BrockIII 2 years, 5 months ago

In his interview on 1320, you find that Andrew is a no-nonsense, motivated, and intelligent guy. He said he's now at 6'6, 210 with a 33" vertical off one step and he's putting in serious man hours to work on his strength and conditioning in the offseason, and study film of Big 12 guards, which is impressive for someone his age.

He also feels very confident on the defensive side of the ball (ability to guard the 1-4 positions) and of course, stroking shots from the perimeter, which is going to be a tremendous addition.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh yes! Welcome to KU, Andrew White!

I can't wait to see this team in action next year. Lots of great recruits coming in. I wonder if Self will go back to his four-guard system of 2008, but this year it will be Johnson, White, McLemore & Releford instead of Robinson, Chalmers, Rush & Collins.

There will be some real battles for PT next season. Tharpe vs. Adams (if he qualifies) for backup PG Ellis vs. Traylor for starting 4 spot (I think Ellis has the upper hand coming in) Young vs. Traylor OR Ellis (whichever doesn't start) for backup 4 spot Peters vs. Lucas vs. Wesley for remaining backup post spots

The real certainties are the returning starters - EJ, Rele, and Withey. Those three are the core that everything else will be built around. BMac is almost guaranteed to start unless White comes in a blows everyone away.

The possible combinations of players on the floor next season is absolutely mind-boggling.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Guys, I'm a bit confused as to why people are rating Anrio Adams as an immediate difference maker. To be fair, I haven't seen him play much, but based on where he is rated, he is around where Thaarpe was.

I do believe Naadir will be a factor next year after this year's experience, but am surprised to see more people counting on Adams to contribute next year instead of Naadir.

What am I missing?!

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...: 2012 Anrio Adams Highlight Reel by PointguardUcom

I believe they have the same talent level. However, Rio's size will allow him to compete much better in D1 bball. Tharpe is undersized and struggles. I like Tharpe's bball intelligence, but he had a really rough freshman season.

Rio has more upside and will eventually start with his size. He reminds me Wall and Lamb.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

I like Tharpe and think he has one of the best minds of most pgs in the nation. He has got to translate that on the court.

Remember, we picked Tharpe up when Turner pulled his stupid stunt and allowed that idiot Mller to steal him away to AZ.. Now, Turner is transferring to who knows where. We were not on Tharpe's original recruiting list until very late. I hate to say it but Tharpe may warm the bench for the rest of his career with the guards coming into KU. I think he's a geat kid and will be much like Case.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 5 months ago

I disagree.

It is true that they are both about the same talent level, but if Naadir loses PT to Adams it won't be because of his size. We're talking about PG's here. Size doesn't mean anything. If we were talking about post players, then yes, size would be a major factor. But you don't have to be tall to get steals, make assists, dribble well, hit shots, etc. So size won't be the determining factor.

They both have different strengths. Naadir is a pure PG. He passes first, he's quick, he can hit shots, and he's got great vision. Rio's game is more like Tyshawn's. He drives the lane and makes acrobatic passes. I think that both will play a role on the squad next year (as backups for Elijah), and then in 2013 they will both continue to play a role (as backups to Conner Frankamp). I doubt either will be long-term starting PG's at KU, but time will tell.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

I respectfully disagree on two points:

1) Size does matter at the point. Tharpe will not be able to play with guys taller when running plays. He will be able to pass effectively if a 6-2, or 6-3 guard is on him. I'm totalling convinced this is why Sherron drive the lane a lot to create, which can be good and as we saw can be bad. He may be quick to pick on the D-end of the court. 2) He has not proven that he is a consistent shooter. I think it's great he took some of the shots he took, but I was really disappointed in his results. I had great expectations on his shooting this year and he let "me" down. However, Sherron was a much more physcial player from the streets of Chicago and was a much more consistent shooter than Tharpe in their freshman yr. Tharpe will not have that luxury inside and will not create like Sherron. 3) Let me say, I am open to being proven wrong. In fact, I want Tharpe to prove me all wrong. He's got the skills and the ability, now he needs produce on the court.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 5 months ago

1. I don't think he'll have any problem passing effectively, no matter how tall the person is guarding him. So I will agree to disagree with you there. IMO, size simply does not matter in basketball, especially at the PG spot.

2. Last year Naadir didn't prove that he was a consistent shooter on the court, but I can tell from his high school highlight reels that he has great shooting form and can hit outside shots consistently. He was a freshman that didn't play a lot of minutes last year, and he knew that he wasn't one of the top scoring options on the court. That probably made him hesitant to shoot and when a shooter is hesitant, he is not going to hit shots. I believe, as his confidence grows, so will his FG%.

Tharpe is a different type of PG than any we've seen at KU. He isn't a scorer first - he's a passer. Don't think Sherron Collins so much as Aaron Miles. I know he's not Aaron Miles right now, but his style of play and strengths as a player are very similar.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

BTW Klaw- Tharpe came in with a rep for being the best guard at coming off of screens. In fact, they say he is "NBA" good at reading and coming off of screen.

He's got to produce and translate all this on the court.

I will say it now. Rio will take the starting pg spot if Tharpe does not start playing like he can. Rio is so much like Mario Chalmers. Rio and Rio are the same build and I expect Rio Adams to have a similar experience as Rio Chalmers.

Trust me, either player producing is a win win for KU.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

Klaw- here is the Tharpe I want on a consistent basis:

I hope this works because it's a thing of beauty to watch Tharpe go to work.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

truehawk, right on...also, wasn't Anrio a 2013 commit that has been reclassified to 2012, similar to flat top over at UK, thus his ranking is lagging. I thought I remember reading that somewhere??

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Adams originally started in the 2012 class, was ranked in the top 70 (I think, definitely in the top 100), and was recruited heavily by numerous BCS schools (Texas, most of the Pac 12, Louisville, Etc.). However, he was reclassified into the 2013 class when he started switching schools. Don't know how, but when he returned to Rainier HS for what was always supposed to be his senior year, he was reclassified back to the 2012 class. I guess, because he was on course to graduate. With all that, Rivals reinstated him in their final rankings for 2012. So now, if I remember correctly, Rivals has him ranked #98.

knottshawk 2 years, 5 months ago

This article says "KU now is at the NCAA limit of 13 scholarship players for next season. Junior-to-be Justin Wesley, who arrived as a walk-on, was placed on scholarship last season." while the FAQ article says KU is at 12... Is this article just counting Adams as already signed? Or is the other article mistaken?

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

knotts - let's brk it down:

TRob +1 Tharpe Teahan +1 Wesley Withey TT +1 EJ Lindsay +1 Mac Rel Traylor Young

12 - 4 = 8 Adding: Peters Ellis White Lucas 8+4 = 12

+1 extra (Rio or Parker?)

At this point it is likely Rio's since he already committed, or he failed to qualify. I thought for sure that Rio was already counted. Either Parker has committed to Self or Rio's scores came in to the Registrar's office making him eligible. Self made room for one of these players. How did Parker's announcement and Rio's test results hit at the exact same time? What are the goofy odds? I just don't understand if Parker knows where he is going, why he doesn't announce. He's gone from Thursday to Friday and now to next Monday. What is Self up to at this point? Damn it.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Rio or Parker?

Both. Wesley going back to walk-on makes 2 open scholarships.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

Wesley going back to walk-on status? You have doc?

FarSideHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

No doc, just guess. Better than having someone else transfer.

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

Keith Langford has already told Bill Self that he is okay with paying Wesley's tuition again if it becomes necessary. With White's LOI coming in, KU sits at 12 scholarships being used for next season right now. We should know Tony Parker's decision before we know Anrio Adams status in regards to passing his ACT, so let's say that Tony Parker commits to KU and that makes 13 scholarships used. Then let's say a few weeks later, Adams gets a high enough ACT score for admittance to KU which is the deal Self has made with Adams to come to KU. At that point, Wesley goes back to walk-on status which puts KU back at 12 and that scholarship goes to Anrio Adams to max out KU at 13 once again.

knottshawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for breaking it down for me... I was too lazy to do it myself :)

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

You missed Jordan Junemann. he was given the 13th scholarships last season.

Joe Baker 2 years, 5 months ago

I was wondering that HawkFan. I thought he was on a scholarship. Can anyone else verify Junemann's paper? I really believe he was too.

That would give us definitely 1 and Wesley would make 2.

We would have Rio and Parker covered. Otherwise, I really think Self would tell Parker that he was full. But the media seems totally misinformed. I guess they don't need to know, ha ha. Keep them guessing. uk seems to be taking the spotlight with the NC and their NBA draft statuses (is this is word? pl. for status).

Thanks for the input all. It does help to bring the recruiting possibilities into perspective.

Freedman Moor 2 years, 5 months ago

I lived in VA for 12 years. My first year (my freshman year in college), Allen Iverson (Hampton, VA native) showed up at the courts outside the men's dorms to take on the ballers at Hampton University. That same year, Ronald Curry (#1 PG & #1 QB in the nation) was at Hampton High, Michael Vick was completely overshadowed, Aaron Brooks (former Saints/Raiders QB), and guys like Plaxico Burress (Steelers, Giants, Jets), Percy Harvin (Vikings), and Vernon Macklin (Pistons) were waiting in the wings. This is also the same place that gave us Alonzo Morning, Bruce Smith, Lawrence Taylor...

The list goes on.

My point is, I've been screaming for more VA athletes at KU for a while. Texas, Florida, and Georgia may produce more athletes, but the quality of athlete in VA is second to none. I'm excited to have some VA talent at KU. I hope White's experience gets KU more exposure in the commonwealth.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

The reason White was not courted by most of the blue blood programs was the 33" one step jump. Self must believe Hudy can add 4" to his hop, otherwise White is not a Self-grade perimeter player. To put this in perspective, Tyrel jumped 40". Travis has to be near that, maybe more. BRush had to bounce 38 minimum. At 6-6 in high school, a 33" vertical seems alot, but in D1 it means 6-4 Tyrel and Travis with 40s threaten every look you get.

This will be interesting to see unfold.

martyks 2 years, 4 months ago

Rick Mount was the greatest pure jump shooter in the history of college basketball, but he could not get his shot off in the pros. Sometimes, going up a level changes everything. From what I have seen, however, Andrew is the real deal. I can't wait to see him in uniform!