Originally published September 16, 2011 at 07:12p.m., updated September 17, 2011 at 01:35a.m.

Braeden Anderson says he’s ineligible to play at KU

Self, freshman forward disappointed at Big 12 faculty reps' decision to not approve player for aid

Kansas newcomer Braeden Anderson, a forward from Okotoks, Alberta, Canada, is pictured on Monday, July 11, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. Anderson, who arrived on campus July 4, was expected to fill in the front line after the departures of forward Marcus and Markieff Morris.

Braeden Anderson shed tears during an emotional meeting with Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self late Friday afternoon.

“It’s a sad day for me. I’ve done everything I’m supposed to do to make my dreams happen here at Kansas. It’s all coming crashing down right now,” Anderson, a 6-foot-8 power forward from Okotoks, Alberta, Canada, told the Journal-World in a phone interview. He was speaking two hours after Self revealed that Anderson had been ruled ineligible to be on scholarship at KU this school year.

The NCAA on Wednesday deemed Anderson to be a partial qualifier, which would make him eligible for financial aid and possibly earn the right to practice second semester but not play in games. However, because of Big 12 Conference policy, all partial qualifiers must be approved by the league’s faculty athletic representatives. Anderson’s case was not approved for aid. Therefore, he will not attend KU.

“I will do everything I can to come back someday,” said Anderson, who said one option would be to attend junior college for three semesters and gain eligibility that way.

He said he can’t afford to pay his own way as a walk-on.

“You may see me working at McDonald’s,” Anderson said dejectedly. “It’s a confusing situation right now. I don’t have many options. It’s my dream to play here but it would cost $28,000. I’d love to walk on if I could,” added Anderson, who was packing up his belongings during the phone conversation.

Self said he was “very disappointed but I know Braeden is even more crushed. He has worked very hard to be in a position to come here. I certainly understand the uniqueness of his academic record coming from Canada. I understand the NCAA ruling and I understand the Big 12 policy that states that the faculty athletic representatives must approve, but I am extremely disappointed in the outcome. Braeden has been great since he arrived here. Our goal for the immediate future is to give him as many options as possible moving forward so that he can make the best decision that fits him so that he can get on with his academic career.”

Anderson said he truly regrets the fact the Big 12 faculty reps didn’t rule in his favor.

“Everybody knows I care about academics,” he said. “I want to go to Law School. I still will do that. It will just be delayed a few years. I mean a CLEP exam gave me nine credits coming into college. I got two A’s in summer school. I got a 1,450 on the SAT. I’m college-ready. The Big 12 ... words don’t explain how disappointed I am and surprised. Nobody thought they would do this.”

Anderson, who first attended high school in Canada, said the problem stems from re-doing his junior year at Christian Faith Center in North Carolina, a school he said was recommended by his Canadian summertime AAU coach. He said that marked his fourth year of high school by NCAA standards and the NCAA did not recognize his work at the school.

He next transferred to Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts. After leaving school last February, Anderson took online courses back home in Canada.

“I’ve been screwed, man,” Anderson said. “I was told everything would be fine (if he attended Christian Faith Center). I was 15 years old. I was a little kid. You trust the adults around you that they’ll put you in the right situations to succeed.”

Anderson’s summertime coach, Ro Russell, told the J-W on Friday night that Anderson never attended Christian Faith Center.

“None of the courses on his transcript were from there,” Russell said. “He took online courses before he got there that the NCAA didn’t accept. This is very unfortunate. It’s a big shock. He is a great kid and will bounce back.”

Informed later that Russell said he never went to Christian Faith Center, Anderson said: “I’ll decline comment except to say that our basketball jerseys said ‘Christian Faith Center’ on them. We practiced at Christian Faith Center every single day.”

Regardless of particulars ... reality is the Big 12 faculty reps nixed Anderson’s bid to be on scholarship at KU, leaving him with the option of attending juco or quickly enrolling at a school that accepts partial qualifiers, such as in Conference USA.

“If I could, I’d pay my own way, take classes and show everybody I’d get all A’s and a 4.0. That’s what I was going to do,” said Anderson, who has six siblings and doesn’t have the funds to pay for college on his own. “I wanted to use basketball as a way to someday support my family. I am so willing to fight it and do well. I’m so confident I’d do well in school. The Big 12 is not giving me the opportunity. It’s late right now (four weeks into school). It’s not my fault it’s so late. I got here three days ago when the NCAA said I was a partial qualifier. I couldn’t go to class yet, but I emailed teachers and was getting ready to do the work. I know I’d be able to catch up. I’d work so hard I’d be caught up in a few days.”

Anderson could turn pro if he wished and play in Europe.

“I mean if I was a top 100 guy, then yes I’d look at those options,” he said. “I am not (ranked in Rivals.com top 150). I don’t have the politics to be able to do that. I worked my way from nothing to get here. I worked my butt off where the coaches at Kansas said, ‘Let’s go check this kid out. He’s not ranked but making a lot of noise. It’s late and nowhere for me really to turn. I’m at one of those situations where you don’t have a lot of options. I haven’t even wanted to think about it. I wanted to be at Kansas. I still could be at Kansas. If I can find a way to be back here, I’ll be back here.”

Two other KU freshmen, Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor, are being allowed to attend class as the NCAA continues to examine their transcripts. Both recently were cleared to be on scholarship but not yet cleared to practice or play in games.

Comments

Eric Dawson 3 years ago

Not good news at all. Sorry for the young man, who showed this summer he could handle the classwork. Wonder what the issue with his CFA grades was, especially since he had high standardized test scores???

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

"However, because of Big 12 Conference policy, all partial qualifiers must be approved by the league’s faculty athletic representatives.''

What a bunch of crap..the big nothing won't exist next year..nice way to go out.

milehighhawk 3 years ago

Too bad - was looking forward to watching him develop.

Keep your head up, Braeden!

John Myers 3 years ago

Keep your chin up, Braeden. Hopefully you'll find your way back here some day. The NCAA is such a complete freaking joke anymore.

kranny 3 years ago

My question is what in the world is going on with the Christian Faith school in NC that has students who obviously are looking to play college ball at the D1 level take classes that aren't recognized by the NCAA?! Someone in the know enlighten me.

jayhawkinmullen 3 years ago

What can be done about this institution. It needs to be stopped, but how? Letters won't do anything protesting the front lawns I don't know. Maybe they should have a council of all school presidents to talk about getting out the NCAA and starting something else.

Pbbut 3 years ago

I won't comment on the eligibility question, however the NCAA gets an "F" for completing their assignment late. All they've done is damage a kid who by their own standards has academic issues and then hurt him by impeding what academic progress he might have made had he been in JC at the start of the semester.
Who will pay for that? Braeden. Certainly not the NCAA. Of course if ends up playing in the tournament some day, the NCAA will cash the check.

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

Well that just [expletive deleted] stinks.

A lot.

REHawk 3 years ago

Here is a question for someone in the know. Can home schoolers qualify for NCAA athletic scholarships? Understandably, it would be an unlikely scenario that a home schooled athlete would gain attention as an outstanding prospect for major college sports, not having played high school ball (though some states do allow home schoolers to participate in public school extracurricular activities). What is the extent of the NCAA eligibility requirement? I assume that passing the GED exam, even knocking the top out of its scoring, is not sufficient.

lee3022 3 years ago

Similar to nearly every matter before the NCAA, nobody knows. They seem to want the opposite of transparency. However, it seems to have nothing to do with KU as other schools have lost players this month as well.

The only constant from the NCAA is dictator-like behavior. That is sad against these young people. Since Braedon was allowed to enroll in Summer School he is not eligible to return to a prep school and qualify next year. He must attend a junior college because the NCAA allowed him into Summer School. Somehow that is an even more bitter pill.

Dirk Medema 3 years ago

He's had 5 yrs of HS. Why would anyone want to be a 6th yr sr in HS?

89JHawkDoc 3 years ago

The NCAA has a set of bylaws governing eligibility. Every member of KU's athletic department has a copy in their offices. You can get one and read it. What's not transparent are details of any individual's academic record - but that's a matter of federal law which protects the confidentiality of your kids and mine when they attend any school that keeps records of their performance, health issues, etc.

JacquesMerde 3 years ago

The NCAA and all the conference members are interested in one thing. MONEY

John Boyle 3 years ago

NCAA just in it for money! If that were true they wouldn't bother with all these eligibility issues, they would just let anyone play. They have rules for reasons. The whole Christian Faith School thing smells fishy. Summer coach says he didn't attend, Anderson never says he attended classes, he just said he played on a team that said Christian Faith on the front of the jerseys. I hope he goes to a juco and gets the chance to come back to KU and that seems fair based on his questionable academic records.

89JHawkDoc 3 years ago

Home schoolers can qualify, if they have the appropriate documentation of the core course requirements and meet university admission requirements.

kushaw 3 years ago

To my understanding the Big 12 doesn't allow partial qualifiers which seems to be the issue in Braeden's case. It seems like he was partially cleared by the NCAA, but these stories seem to be conflicting

Regardless, anybody who scores a 1450 on the SAT is good in my book. It's a shame he got some bad advice on prep schools from his coach or whomever.

kushaw 3 years ago

I've just learned that a perfect score on the SAT is 2400 now? Is that correct? When did they change that? It was 1600 when I was in school.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years ago

It changed in 2006 or 2007.

khawk75 3 years ago

They added an additional 800 pt section.

kushaw 3 years ago

So you get 800 points for putting down your correct address as well now?

stravinsky 3 years ago

Yup. They added an 800 point writing section.

That said, schools almost entirely ignore the writing section. For instance, KU's ARTS forms list only the math + verbal, so in effect, it's still out of 1600.

ataylor7568 3 years ago

Nope. The writing section is grammatical in nature and is incorporated in verbal; the essay writing section is scored out of 6. He scored 1450 out of 2400 - if he had scored 1450 out of 1600 they may have found it easier to approve him.

Sparko 3 years ago

It just seems like they are punishing him; here is a case where I believe he should still get to keep the scholarship and attend class until he does qualify. These sports are about the kids. Wish the NCAA would allow some help for him. The NCAA has cheated Kansas and Kansas residents of millions of dollars of basketball revenue, and still gets to come in and hurt a kid. Just incredible. The NCAA has outlived whatever usefulness it had. I still remember them stiffing Kansas City and being bought and sold to Indiana. That is integrity.

Priest Fontaine 3 years ago

And it took that long for the NCAA to decide that? I am also confused if this means he can't qualify for scholarship and financial aid? Or just a scholarship?

oldalum 3 years ago

Poor kid. What a crushing disappointment. And, of course, they made him wait forever to get the bad news.

AverageCitizen 3 years ago

"...all partial qualifiers must be approved by the league's faculty athletic representatives."

What I want to know is who are the Big 12 faculty athletic representatives? Is this a committee, 5 people, a rep from each school or what? Anybody know?

I feel really bad for Braeden and hope he finds a way back to KU.

89JHawkDoc 3 years ago

Every school affiliated with the NCAA has a faculty athletic representative. I don't know the Big 12 rules regarding this vote, but I believe that this would be a vote of the 12 FARs related to partial qualifiers at any of the 12 institutions. Anderson's record of work was short of the threshold they use to make an exception in his case.

Loomer 3 years ago

Once these "Super Conferences" are formed, the NCAA will be told to go to hell. There is nothing right about that group.

Woody Cragg 3 years ago

Between the BCS, NCAA, & the largely populated college geographics, they are ruining conference & rivaly affiliations as we know them. And, I will add, they are ruining the reasonings as to why they have fans in the first place. Who really gives a crap about the Big East or the SEC unless you're actually in the emotions of their rivalries. I won't be driving to Louisville or to NY for a ST John's game ever. Colo Spgs was too far for me, but Columbia or Stillwater yeah. The corporate greed perpetuating college & even HS sports is slowly (faster in some) killing the goose that lays the eggs. I still love great competition, but am getting extremely fed up with all the political bs that comes with it today. Who gives a s*#t if all the TexAss cowboy schools go somewhere else? Is too bad for this Anderson kid, he may actually want a degree from a first class university. NCAA doesn't give a hoot about that if they don't get a big enough cut themselves. JMO

KCRvrRnnr 3 years ago

And the exodus away from college to professional sports continues.

lee3022 3 years ago

Not to worry. KU is a national brand in basketball (also the very top basketball ticket revenue in the country) and is in demand in all of the conferences because they have an improving and credible football team and a perennial top five basketball program.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Don't pack so fast. After Monday there will be no such thing as the big12.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Turner Gill press conference!

Every other word is

Ah

And then he says

Per se

Finally he references the staff he put togethers

Coaching experience

nuleafjhawk 3 years ago

jhwkfan - he's feeding you a line of .....ahpersecoachingexperience.

Here's what he really is:

Arterial hypertension (AH) per se is, together with diabetes mellitus, the most important cause of renal failure and of dialysis in the western world. AH is also a well known consequence of chronic renal disease, and at the same time one of the main factors which causes diabetic and/or non-diabetic chronic renal failure progression.

Don Everett 3 years ago

It gave itself its name from how it said the alphabet at a DUI checkpoint.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

You guys have no idea how hard it is for me to log on using my iPhone!

Clarence Haynes 3 years ago

You are a cold blooded insensitive sucker!

John Boyle 3 years ago

Wrong again. Don't you get tired of being wrong so often?

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

What exactly does the NCAA do? They can deny players the opportunity to play but they can't do anything about the insane conference shakeups. That's the organization that needs to be disbanded.

madamhawk 3 years ago

I'm at a loss for words. This is sickening! It is September f'ing 16th and they just now are telling Braeden this? Way to look out for their STUDENT athletes. NCAA is a complete f'ing joke!

Braeden-keep your head up bud. I pray that we will see you in a Jayhawk uni within the next year or two.

NCAA = the sweat off a baboon's balls!!! I hope that Federal case against them puts their a$$e$ through the wringer!

Father, please forgive me for my language. Amen

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

And the lesson applies not only to the players, but also to the coaches recruiting them.

lee3022 3 years ago

It is really a tough call. Stay in his Alberta high school and never gain any exposure to USA basketball coaches or move to one of the prep school that play at a high level to prove yourself.

woodscolt 3 years ago

It is time for the Ncaa to have to live up to the scrutiny they impose on young people trying to get an education. The Ncaa has no business making millions screwing with these young peoples lives up. They completely screwed josh selby and may have ruined his career. They certainly and ufairly put him in a deep hole. Time for fat rich white guys to stop controlling the people who make them rich. Hope we se them crumble.

The Ncaa is the definition of "impermissible benifits"

As for the Big 12, it is a house of cards

woodscolt 3 years ago

How about if Mr. Anderson could stay in town and practice until the big 12 crashed and burned. Then their ruling would be moot.

Hey, the people went to the streets in Egypt and Libya, its time to bring the Ncaa down and try them for all their criminal activity.

Kevin Huffman 3 years ago

W/o Br. Anderson this is the rotation now then:

Ty.Taylor / Tharpe McLemore (hope he's elig.) / E.Johnson Releford / Lindsay / Teahen Tho. Robinson / K.Young / Jam. Traylor (hope he's elig.) Withey / Wesley

...I would suspect Johnson, Tharpe & Young to be the 1st, 2nd & 3rd ones off the Bench respectively. We've got depth at the "3" & "4" and that's about it. I guess at least Braeden WAS yet another "3" player. I think we all know what to expect from T.Rob & E.J. I think the season rides on Taylor, Mc & Releford and what they bring along with the depth of the bigs.....gotta' not suffer SUCH a huge drop-off.

Alohahawk 3 years ago

I'd much rather see KU lose a player because they aren't up to the task, not because of some ruling which denies them the opportunity to prove themselves on the court. Seems like Braeden has already proven himself in the classroom. And he hasn't done anything under the table, according to NCAA regulations, which would disqualify him from becoming a Jayhawk. I'd bet there are numerous (hundreds, or more) college atheletes who will never put in half the effort Mr. Anderson has up to this point. Hang in there, Braeden. Hope you get the opportunity to prove those in power wrong.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Sounds like a good kid with a strong work ethic getting boned by the NCAA meanwhile there are a plethora of "student athletes" out there gaming the system and playing. Way to go NCAA you have failed in your main mission of educating "student athletes". Its time for the NCAA to reorganize and start from scratch.

Steve Jacob 3 years ago

I might have to agree with the NCAA. Something seemed fishy. I don't think the kid had anything to do with it. Not the first time an AAU coach or "handler" messed thing up.

Hammertoe 3 years ago

KU has very low admission standards with 94% of all students that apply are admitted. When one doesn't meet those standards, does that tell you anything?

JacquesMerde 3 years ago

I believe the state legislature requires open admission because that is what it amounts to if you have to take all graduates of state high schools. It hurts the university's ranking nationally, which is too bad since KU is a first rate undergraduate, professional, and graduate institution. I attended K-State and Texas, as well as KU, and believe it is as good if not better than they although Texas has better qualified students with its high entrance minimum score and oodles of money. KU once used the Western Civilization program and the required English exam to weed out many students.

By the way does anyone think these super conferences ought to be taxed?

Beate Williams 3 years ago

You say this about Texas when Texas ranks in the lower one-third in the country in primary and secondary education.

JacquesMerde 3 years ago

Beachhawk. That's why they have high admission standards. UT in several national polls is the highest ranked Big 12 school. Chech US News and World Report or Forbes' ratings. KU's low rank has to do with money and entrance exams. K-State is lower. Missouri, I hate to say, is slightly higher.

Michael Maris 3 years ago

Low admission standards might have somthing to do with the fact that Kansas is not a very populated state. U of Texas-Austin was the Big XII Institution that stated that they would only enter the Big XII if the Conference would NOT allow partial Qualifiers.

Other 11 schools agreed to that standard. And, this is why Braeden Anderson is NOT allowed to enroll at Kansas as a Partial Qualifier.

That is why Nebraska was so upset (back when the Big XII was formed).

Once the Super Conferences are formed, the NCAA will not be the governing body of the newly formed Super Conferences. There will be an appointed Commissioner to govern the entire Super Conferences. The Commissioners Office will be the new Clearing House Approval body that clears the academic requirements of the so called student athletes.

Just need to know if Kansas is going to be a part of the Super Conferences.

Personally, I'm very tired of this Conference Realignment issues. It has become such a drama show, OU and Texas Chancellors have gotten such a big head out of all of this. No wonder that Ken Starr got involved. He wanted to show the U of Texas - Austin Chancellor that he still had his connections with Washington D.C. and he wanted to throw his weight into the picture. Baylor Alum and Fans better be glad that Ken Starr was in their Chancellor's Office. Otherwise, the Big XII would already be done. OU is having their meeting to discuss possible ways out (without legal action being taken). It all has come down to Politics. Damn drama Queens of the Big XII.

How much money does Baylor have allocated towards improvements on their own campus, from the guaranteed TV money from the Fox and ESPN/ABC TV deals? That is why Ken Starr did what he did.

I know alot of you don't like Kevin Keitzman (due to the fact that he graduated from K-State). But, he is right, Big XII was formed by Texas, Texas A&M, OU and Nebraska, so that they could rule the roost and take the majority of the TV Money from the other step-sister schools. Except that Nebraska was tired of being second tier compared to Texas, Texas A&M and OU. So, they started pouting from the beginning.

Texas A&M was the 2nd school, now OU is the 3rd school. What a damn shame that their greed has destroyed the 2nd Best Collegiate Football Conference in the United States.

REHawk 3 years ago

I predict that our coaching staff will help Braeden land in a school where he will be eligible to play this season, probably a jc. If he continues to develop as a scholar and athlete, we might see him in a Jayhawk uniform yet. Too damn bad, the footdragging of the qualifying agency. That said, these prep school basketball factories should be rated by the NCAA, so that kids and parents will know if they are headed down a deadend street. I've personal experience with an AAU coach who misled a group of high school athletes and cost them the opportunity to compete in a state contest.

chriskoenigs 3 years ago

Looks like the aau and nike a re having and ncaa are having a poltical fight over who in charge ofrecrting

Mike Barnhart 3 years ago

To bad for the kid. He tried to make it work any way he could.

Seat number 13 on the KU bench is now open for business!

Robert Brock 3 years ago

Question - why is The University of Kansas recruiting somewhat average players with weak transcripts? And in April (May, June, July, August, September).

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

Answer-KU currently lacks the cache to attract high end recruits.

jaybate 3 years ago

Four words:

Xavier Henry

Josh Selby

Numbers 2 and 1 ranked recruits last two years.

Deepest team in America last season.

Next.

DRsmith 3 years ago

Not a huge loss. He probably wouldn't have seen the floor much. Good luck whereever he ends up but I think KU was a little high for his skill set.

Ashwin Rao 3 years ago

Stop kicking him when he is down. He is a young kid who just got a career changing shock. He needs options, rather than comments such as these.

JacquesMerde 3 years ago

What KU needs is to check with Calipari and see what can be done. If ole Cal can't finagle a way out of this no one can. And you guys are forever bitching about him.

JacquesMerde 3 years ago

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

"Handled"? You mean "mishandled," like Selby.

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

Why in the world can't the NCAA figure out if players will be eligible or not or at least are on track BEFORE coaches spend massive amounts of time recruiting these guys?

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

Or better yet, why can't coaches take an interest in the academic record of the players they are recruiting?

TenaciousD 3 years ago

Is there any reason why he couldn't just get financial aid like the rest of us have-nots? If he stays all four years and gets drafted, paying that back would be nothing. Could he then achieve scholarship status his Soph or Junior year?

Why is this such a show stopper for him?

Matt Kenton 3 years ago

Exactly what I was thinking. I knew plenty of students from out of state paying their way with student loans. If he is so confident he'll get a 4.0 and go to law school, he shouldn't have any trouble paying off the loans later and getting all sorts of academic scholarships. And why can't a booster find some roundabout way to get a little cash over to his family to help pay tuition? I don't get it.

Conf USA is an option? Here's a chance for Self to show a little love to his old friends at Tulsa!

Matt Kenton 3 years ago

Matt Kenton 3 years ago

First double post, sorry!

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

Drafted? Posters on this board were complaining the guy was not even good enough to be offered a scholarship by KU.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years ago

the system isn't fair, and the NCAA is slow to do their work, and the Big 12 isn't fair and on and on...but really, how much work did we do in making sure he was eligible?

Multiple high schools, grades they didn't consider.....there were no red flags here? can't KU hire someone or have someone look at all of this...do the investigation and then ultimately tell the kid, "uh, you're not qualified to come to KU...let's get you onboard with someone else who will."

the kid is stuck now. he's got nowhere to go really. he'd have to restart somewhere else at semester. unless some JUCO just absolutely throws him a bone (and what does that say?)

Good luck to you Mr. Anderson...it's not your fault. You were let down by the system....but also KU.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years ago

"You may see me working at McDonald’s,” Anderson said dejectedly."

Hmmmm. Maybe you'll be a McDonald's All-American yet.

Ron Franklin 3 years ago

BRAEDEN--

Get a job in KC. Go to JUCO for a year and a half. Come back. It's easy. Many people with less have been able to support themselves through Junior College. You WILL find the support groups you need. I'm sure Self can put you in contact with the JUCO circuit coaches here. If he won't, message me, and I will.

DONT GIVE UP. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. LIFE IS ALWAYS GONNA KNOCK YOU DOWN IT'S EASIER THAN YOU THINK TO GET BACK UP.

best of luck

WisconsinJayhawk 3 years ago

KUMatt2001, The NCAA said he can't be on scholarship or play, but the !@#$%^& Big XII said he can't be on financial aid.

That's the real unknown in this-- who made THAT decision, and why? If it's "about the kids", then why deny him the opportunity to get an education while NOT playing basketball for at least the first year?

Anyone have info on the Big XII Faculty Rep system, who that it, and how it works? Maybe an address so that a delivery of a flaming bag of sh!t can be made?

I feel bad for the Jayhawks, because we really need this kid this year, but I feel far worse for Anderson. He's been hosed, as the Canadians say.

JacquesMerde 3 years ago

They are usually the faculty member who kisses the AD's behind with the greatest ardor. Of course, if you do a good job on the president or chancellor it helps. Real lover boys or girls.

REHawk 3 years ago

Braeden, don't lose faith. Some jc coach will be rubbing his hands with glee at the fact you are now available. Keep pumping, son. You will make it back to Div. I as an improved prospect in 3 semesters. If you possess the grit and determination, you will get an education and someday clock dollars on your hoops size and skill. You might have to tighten the belt for this one semester or school year; but I am certain that at this time next Sept. you will be farting thru silk. Bill Self and staff envisioned a huge upside to your game or you would not have spent the summer in Lawrence. Now you might get the chance to play regularly and improve your talents for a return to Div. I. At Kansas this season you would have practiced daily with terrific players, but most likely would have seen little gametime minutes. Take what you have already learned from Andrea Hudy and the Jayhawk program; build on it daily, and keep dreaming.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

OU's board of regents had instructed school President David L. Boren to prepare a document to formally apply for admission to the Pac-12... Syracuse and Pitt have applied to the ACC...CBS Sports reported that the schools have formally applied for membership. Wish Lou Perkins was still at the help...rough water straight ahead.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Lou Perkins was a sleaze ball and the ticket scandal happened under his watch which goes to he competence or lack thereof. He also railroaded Mangino out the door because he was not Lou's hire. Good Riddance Lou.

kbeetch 3 years ago

Come to Hutch JUCO Home of the National Championship Tourney.

jaybate 3 years ago

Brandon is a long damned way from home.

Why can't some Ku alum can give him a job for a year, while he gets the course work done.

Better yet, why can't KU hire him, as a coach the way Cal hired an ineligible player at UK last season for awhile?

kerbyd 3 years ago

Or maybe he can work as a Juco coach like another KU player did.

jayhawkintx73 3 years ago

Whatever happens in realignment, every athletic program will be affected in a negative way, particularly for the fans and the student sections. The stars are aligning for Kansas to become completely irrelevant in every thing.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Oh really. Back away from the hemlock.

bennybob 3 years ago

This season just got more dependent on the development of Jeff Withey.

That's disturbing

riverotter1971 3 years ago

what is keeping us from just giving him an academic scholarship considering his grades are pretty good?

HawkNVegas 3 years ago

Another duh, da, dum dumm?