Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Keegan

Kansas will stay in BCS

The last time conference realignment threatened to blow up the Big 12, a move to the Big East for four schools, including Kansas University, came closer than most realize, according to an insider with strong ties to one of the conferences.

The plan called for the Big East basketball tournament remaining at Madison Square Garden in New York and the football championship game alternating between Giants Stadium in New Jersey and Arrowhead Stadium.

Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri would have headed to the Big East, forming a 12-team football league.

The Big 12 stayed together, and the Big East added TCU, bringing to nine the number of football schools it will field in 2012. It would rather have 12. That’s why Kansas and Missouri need not worry about getting left out of the BCS musical-chairs game, with the Big East being a nice fall-back position. The New York Post reported that the Big East already has extended an offer to KU, K-State and MU. Iowa State will have to look for another home, probably not a BCS one.

Yet, before KU and Mizzou head east, the rivals might want to take one last shot at heading north, each school lobbying hard for the other, trying to sell the Big Ten on the value of locking up the college-intense Kansas City market. Missouri alone doesn’t bring enough of Kansas City to warrant an invitation without KU, which has a stronger KC presence. Illinois and Missouri would give the Big Ten nice penetration in St. Louis, but that’s more of a pro market.

The problem: Kansas and Missouri bring one new TV market and don’t have stadiums large enough to make the Big Ten members interested in sharing revenue equally.

The Big Ten is the least likely destination, ranking behind the Big East and Pac-12. ESPN Radio reported that Texas turned down the Pac-12. That might make that conference interested in adding Kansas and Missouri along with soon-to-be-new members Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Here’s how the divisions would look in a Pac-16, grouped by travel partners: West: UCLA and USC, Cal-Berkeley and Stanford, Oregon and Oregon State, Washington and Washington State. East: Arizona and Arizona State, Colorado and Utah, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, Kansas and Missouri.

The Big East football divisions, with three new members from the Big 12, likely would shape up this way: East: Connecticut, Rutgers, South Florida, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia. West: Cincinnati, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, Missouri and TCU.

With just one Texas school in the Big East, recruiting football players from Texas becomes tougher for KU.

Should Kansas land in the Pac-16, non-revenue sports likely would play games against teams from their own division and might not face the others until the postseason tournament in order to reduce travel time and costs.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

There stands to be about a 10million dollar difference between the conferences...forget to mention that...PAC or bust!

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

Your posts drive me crazy sometimes, but I an 100% with you on this. Just remember to say something nice about SZ if this comes true!!!

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 1 month ago

Personally, I'd take the Big East over "bust," that's just me though.

Matt Bowers 3 years, 1 month ago

So I'm going to sound crazy, but I don't care. Why isn't there talk about preserving the Big12 after OSU, OU, and UT bolt? I know that butts in front of tv's is driving this realignment and that networks and conferences are looking at markets and revenue shares.

Here's what I think. The cities are fighting both over college and pro sports, not to mention that if you live in the city you don't necessarily like the local team. Why doesn't the Big 12 hold onto KU, KSU, MU, Iowa, Baylor, TT and look to pick up a few more teams. The fact of the matter is that just about everyone into sports in the fly over states are watching or going to the game. Some possible schools to include: SMU, Utah State, Colorado State, TCU, Houston, and BYU.

Just a thought. I just don't want to see KU in the Pac and have to miss all the basketball games during the week because I live in NC. I don't know if the Big 10 is a possibility, but I think the Big East is the next to fall.

Rock Chalk

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

PAC plays there games every thurs and sat and alternates home and away weeks. The majority of the teams in a ku division would be in the cst and the other three teams would be in mst. Meaning 1 division game would start one hour later on a weeknight. And when we would play the west coast teams 2 games would start 2 hours later than normal. So is three games total! Could you tough that out? Maybe take the following Friday off? Call in sick?

thebruced 3 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. The most thoughtful thing I may have ever read from you, apherse...

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

The Big 12 without UT and OU is not an AQ conference plain and simple. Without those two schools, the Big 12 is no better than C-USA or Mountain West and probably worse off than those two conferences.

thebruced 3 years, 1 month ago

Not to mention the fact that schools such as BYU would laugh at us, if we approached them without UT or OU.

Also, why do I keep seeing comments about recruiting TCU? Did they not just agree to join the Big East? I know a school's word means nothing in the Big 12, but does that mean schools of higher learning all over the nation are not to be trusted to follow a higher code of conduct other than one set forth by the mighty dollar?

pepper_bar 3 years, 1 month ago

More random speculation by someone who doesn't know what's going on any better than the rest of us.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

But we're all doing it, why can't Keegan?

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Why does everyone think all of the big 10 schools sell out their stadiums?? They don't.. Indiana regularly has 45,000 in their 55,000 seat stadium

Steve Gantz 3 years, 1 month ago

45,000 on a good day, like when Ohio St. comes to town.

thebruced 3 years, 1 month ago

so true, it hurts. This is the loudest proclamation of doom for KU I have heard in a while. I have been wondering out loud why conferences don't at least consider the benefits of a strong basketball league when making these decisions. But, Maxhawk is right, if Indiana, while not KU in basketball (but a strong tradition and seemingly on the track back) is looked at as the weakest link in a conference, why would the Big 10 add another "Indiana?"

That being said, this is the first I've heard of the theory Keegan presents. What about KU, KSU and MU rallying for each other to go to the Big 10. Us fans may all hate the rival schools, but I, for one, want to end up first; in a BCS Conference and second; with KSU and MU. Why? The same reason it sucked to see NE leave. Because those teams are the local and true rivals. There's a history there (especially with MU). I don't want to see it go away.

If it appears the SEC and Pac 12 are heading towards 14+, maybe the Big 10 (12 schools) would consider the 3 schools that compromise the KC market, Kansas as a whole, and the rest of Missouri, they don't already have. Throw in a reminder to ND they are welcome or Pitt to get the other half of Pennsylvania and boom, they're a super-conference.

That brings me to another point, if Florida State is being considered by the SEC, despite the fact they're not a new market, because of their national following, why wouldn't a national following in basketball be considered? Admittedly, it brings me back to my first comments.

kuilander 3 years, 1 month ago

exactly, i could have written a more informative article just based on what i have collected from other message boards

kuilander 3 years, 1 month ago

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

Any word on what Gary woodland thinks about conference realignment?

lama 3 years, 1 month ago

Pac-10 is much preferable to Big East. Time for KU to quit waiting on Texas. Teams will have no problem recruiting in Texas if UT is independent or in an Eastern league. The same thing happened when the SWC tanked in the 1980s.

HawkTronic 3 years, 1 month ago

And Dan Beebe was lead NCAA investigator on the SMU case. This guy is the Ted McGinley of conferences.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 1 month ago

Dan Beebe wasn't only the lead investigator, he was the one who issued the death penalty!

thebruced 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, but the only reason SMU was recruiting in the first place was b/c they were cheating.

Hank Cross 3 years, 1 month ago

Although most of the points are already known and have been discussed here, Keegan is right about the B10 analysis. The numbers just don't stack up for KU going to the B10, just like they didn't stack up for MU last year. Combined they would have to be able to generate about $100 million in new money for it make it worthwhile for the B10 to take them.

There's also the issue that the B1G and the University of Chicago form the Committee for Institutional Cooperation, and the CIC member schools split up Billions of federal research grants. In these days of tight budgets, the CIC presidents are going to be jealously guarding that share of federal money.

Still hoping for the P16. Maybe Larry Scott's plane will land at KCI after all.

kckmedic 3 years, 1 month ago

Man, why are you guys always so quick to jump on Keegan's butt?

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

It's in vogue. Get with the program. Say something bad soon or you will be banished from this site forever. Even if you like his writing, say something negative about his hair color, weight, the car he drives - something.

jayhawkinmullen 3 years, 1 month ago

Keegan has horrible hair. Keegan is fat. Keegan drives a 1980's dodge.

kureader 3 years, 1 month ago

nuleafjhawk, I always get a good laugh from your posts.

However, this time, I can't bag on Keegan. Last week, I bagged on him for being the first to say that Oklahoma was considering the Pac 12. I thought he was just being negative and trying to worry us. Oops.

So today, I'm issuing an apology to Keegan for jumping his butt, when I didn't know what I was talking about. Dang. I hate the taste of crow. Sorry Keegan.

Today's article was a good one too. Yesterday, he wrote a great article about Fambrough. That's at least three really good articles in a row ... and counting. If this keeps up, I may have to switch sides.

John Randall 3 years, 1 month ago

Not sure how long the Fambrough swan song has been in the files, but my guess is that 90% of it has been ready for a couple of years.

This is not to rag on TK, just to point out that he is a lot better prepared to do his job than we are to complain about how he does it.

Most of the complaints posted here sound like White House pukes crying when Fox reports on fraudulent birth certificates, then points out no one from 1600 Pa Ave was on the raid of Abattobad, and Panetta had to slip it past Valerie Jarrett or it never would have happened.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

kureader & chamberlain,

I think you two know that I'm kidding. Sarcasm is one of my favorite forms of communicating ( wish my wife got that ). I don't think there's a darn thing wrong with Keegans writing most of the time and I too get worn out with people jumping on the "bash Keegan" bandwagon. Every writer on here has good articles and other articles that they should have hit the "Delete" button.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe KU should consider closing the South End and adding another level on the North End of the Stadium. Add another 10,000 to 20,000 in capacity and then charge more for tickets, especially if this team materializes into a BCS contender over the next couple of seasons.

Personally, I do not like the idea of going to the PAC 12. I do think that Kansas can get into the Big 10 Conference with Missouri and Kansas State. UT can stop the madness right now if they want, but it seems more and more likely that in a couple more years the Big 12 will no longer exist and the Texas Longhorns may be left all alone.

The Texas Longhorns are the Washington DC of this problem.

kujayhox 3 years, 1 month ago

kansas state cannot get into the big ten. throughout all of this, they have stayed pretty consistent on keeping their premise of being the only conference with all AAU members. nebraska snuck in there, but they could get back into the AAU. kansas state does not match up and doesnt really bring anything to the table.

Hammertoe 3 years, 1 month ago

other than pounding ku in football every year...

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Better rewind and check those stats again H-toe - KSU beating KU is a relatively new phenomenon. And we still have the edge in the all time record. You really don't want to look at the basketball stats.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't call it an edge, 64-39-5 is ownership!

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks rockchalk1990 - I was too lazy to look it up this morning.

kujayhox 3 years, 1 month ago

and who else have you beaten? ever? you have one more bowl appearance and one more bowl win than us. are you guys even a .500 all time record team? and you guys have proved that no one can anything with that team that isnt bill snyder, so when he retires, it is going to be bad. also, everyone has kstate going to the big east if we go, but if we dont, you guys are destined for the mwc or c-usa. so take your recent success against ku, you decade of dominance dvd (which is mostly ku highlights i believe. maybe a few against texas in manhattan) and sit in the corner with baylor and iowa state while the adults talk conference realignment.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

Nebraska was a member of the AAU but the men in charge of the AAU are from Texas and they kicked them out after leaving the Big 12.

Coincidence????

Maybe, but c'mon guys from Texas?

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

The AAU is based in DC and even if they were based in Texas, why would they care about kicking Syracuse out. The AAU revised their membership requirements hurt Nebraska and Syracuse to the point that they are no longer members and has put KU on the verge of losing their membership as well. Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument though.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

It may be in DC but the head of it is from Texas and that's what I said. So read and then reread so you know what one wrote. Living in Nebraska it was all over the newspapers here that the head of the AAU was from Texas. Who cares where it is based. The White House is in DC, but Obama is not, nor was either Bush.

But thanks.

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

Considering Nebraska had been on the chopping block since 2000 and that it takes a 2/3 membership vote to boot a school out of the AAU, a few people from Texas did not get Nebraska kicked out of the AAU, their administration did by not keeping up with the requirements. KU is also in the same boat of being close to losing their membership as well for the same reasons because of Chancellor Hemenway failing to keep up academic standards during his tenure.

Nowhere in this article is there anything about anyone from Texas mentioned and even mentions that all the Big 12 schools with AAU membership (this includes UT) voted to keep Nebraska's membership.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

So the guy is a native Texan, but he was at UT, just a quick fact check found that. Here, look!!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M...

And I'm done with what I said earlier, plus I never mentioned the Journal Star, I was actually talking about the OWH, being the states largest paper.

So if you want we will call it a draw, can't argue with one on the internet.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

And no I'm not calling it a draw because I think you won either. It's a you made your point and I made mine. Neither wrong, as we were looking at different aspects of the same thing. Wasn't trying to offend your state of residence, just was throwing a little knowledge nugget out there that I knew about.

Ryan Gerstner 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm stunned anyone outside of a K-State fan would suggest K-State could follow KU to get into the Big 10. KU is a longshot at best for the Big 10. K-State to the Big 10 is seriously the funniest thing I've ever heard. That's less likely than TCU going independent. That's why it'd be nice to see some more in depth articles really analyzing the schools on the metrics these conferences are looking at. Some of our fans need to get a clue what's going on.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 1 month ago

KU Memorial Stadium is comparable in size to Northwestern and Indiana, which are in the 50K range and Purdue is 62K.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes, but they actually have 50K and 62K people showing up. If empty seats were the criteria, build a 200,000 capacity super stadium and host every outdoor event on the face of this planet. :)

lama 3 years, 1 month ago

Have you ever seen an IU or Northwestern game? No one goes. Without looking, I bet IU drew no more than 40K per game last year. Plus, they just lost to Ball State.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh you mean, nothing, as in NOTHING? Get real man.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 1 month ago

Tom Delaney, Big 10 commish on Sunday was adament in saying no to expanding.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

The Big 10 might still work. KU bring KC and basketball to the table. Mizzou brings KC and football to the table. Both are flagship universities, the geography works......Where else is the Big 10 going to go? Maryland? Makes no sense. Pitt or WVA? Maybe.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

Why does Maryland make no sense but Pitt and WV do? Maryland is basically in DC and 45 minutes from Baltimore. Geographically, both Pitt and WV are approximately only 200 miles from College Park. What market would you rather bring to the Big 10, DC and Baltimore or Pittsburgh and Wheeling? Maryland to the Big 10 might make more sense than Kansas. Misery brings St. Louis, but the Big 10 already has some presence there. If I'm wanting tv sets, I'd take DC over KC any day.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 1 month ago

MD has a huge media market that covers DC, VA, W VA, Delaware, and parts of PA. MD plated PSU every year before PSU joined the Big 10.

John Randall 3 years, 1 month ago

Are you sure Md "plated" PennSt? I thought they got "dished" most of the time.

Steve Yeakel 3 years, 1 month ago

How does the BB part work for KU in the Big East? They already have a lot more BB teams that football teams in there.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 1 month ago

It's not called Giants Stadium anymore...

any of theses scenarios would be better than an impotent Big12, or those other mid-major conferences discussed at times. I would love the Big 10 option. I think it would be amazing to go head to head with Izzo and Matta every bball season...but scares me to think of going to the Big House, or Wisc. For football! Haha.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Heading to the Big House would be fantastic (and no less scary than going to Norman or Austin).

Alas, the Big 10 is a super-long shot. My second choice, however, behind a Big 12 sticking together and expanding with a couple of big time schools and a few others.

Funny, my top two choices seem least likely to happen......

newmedia 3 years, 1 month ago

If necessary, need to go east. Who wants to watch basketball games that start at 9:30 or 10:00 at night? Also, if the league dissolves let KSU take care of themselves. You have to look out for #1 in these situations.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

But if the games are played in Lawrence they will start at their normal local time, and with KU TV deals will be made to work around their market in the CST.

And to tell you the truth, I would stay up and watch KU play from 10pm to midnight, at least the wife and kids would be asleep and I wouldn't have to be constantly pestered by them.

Positive thinking!!!!!

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 1 month ago

it IS indeed all speculation....but let's take the points and examine them.

Pac 12? No way. competing against west coast schools consistently for all that talent.....we would wither and die athletically across the board. Nobody....and i mean nobody...in California, cares about Kansas or Missouri.

Big East? More likely. better basketball schools plus they need schools for football. the only problem with this is, with these super 16 conferences....there's still one more league to go. and it's not happening to the Big 10, SEC or the Pac 12.....so that only leaves two.

Big 10? less likely but much better geographically. but as noted above, KU and MU don't bring the eyeballs to watch games.....yes, the KC market saturation wise, is college football and mens bball crazy, but you can't do two or three for one. it's not worth it.

SEC? not menioned by TK, but viable IMO. natural rivalries built in with Arkansas....and in bball with UK....they need four school for 16, so why not aTm, KU, MU and KSU? and you'd still get to recruit Texas. it's the same concern dollar wise as the Big 10 though....but with same issue, why not the same possibility?

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 1 month ago

Indiana does? Northwestern? Minnesota? Illinois? <<< Not the cream of the crop in anything any more.

Let's think about this for a minute. Michigan has fallen off a long way too.

Kevin Kelly 3 years, 1 month ago

Rattling off divisions is rediculous. What the Big 10 realized is that you DON'T schedule based on geography. If they did a straight East/West split the west would look worse than the old Big 12 North so they did SOMETHING DIFFERET.

There is no way AZ and AZ St. are going to stop playing in SO Cal every year just to make it a nice even East/West alignment.

In a 16 team leauge why dosn't anyone discuss the idea of 4 team divisions?

kujayhox 3 years, 1 month ago

the pod idea is horrible in my opinion but i can see why a lot of people favor it.

FreddyinLA 3 years, 1 month ago

Great point about the zona schools. Thay have a huge presence in So Cal.

hailtoku 3 years, 1 month ago

Both MU and KU football stadiums are as large as Minnesota and Illinois and larger than Northwesterns. I don't think that's the problem. If Ohio State doesn't have a problem sharing revenue with Northwestern I don't think it will have a problem sharing revenue with Kansas and Missouri.

Here's my take:

If we've been offered an invitation to the Big East...TAKE IT! I can tell you, hopes for a Big Ten invite is going to be a bit of a reach. KU would be very lucky to land in a BCS league... and to get an invite to possibly the weakest football league and most powerful basketball league would be amazing for KU.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

"If Ohio State doesn't have a problem sharing revenue with Northwestern I don't think it will have a problem sharing revenue with Kansas and Missouri."

So what you are saying is that since OSU gives up some of their revenue to Northwestern that they would be willing to cut up their pie EVEN MORE for two more teams that don't bring in as much as them?? I don't follow that logic.

rob4lb 3 years, 1 month ago

Not much new here other than some information about the Big 10 and where KU and MU fit. That option doesn't look very encouraging. Living in Texas, I will miss out on the coverage I get with KU being in the local conference, but I continue to believe that if given the opportunity to go to the Pac 12 with four other former Big 8 schools, we do that. Today that is the best case scenario.

ku_foaf 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, we had a good 15 year run in Texas. I got to see at least 1 basketball game a year, and a football game every 3-4 years.

David Friend 3 years, 1 month ago

the new talk, scuttlebutt etc, and it is a real possibility is the Big East and ACC would merge with the remaining folk from the Big 12. The first Super conference Florida State is going to the SEC.. .. Eventually you will have four BCS conferences.. The NCAA has lost complete control as the college Presidents are all looking out for themselves and Disney is running big time college football.

Hank Cross 3 years, 1 month ago

Wilner seems to be pretty connected and was alll over the story last year. It was interesting that it seems as though UT and OU were falling out. It was disappointing, however, not hear about the possibility of KU to the P16.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 1 month ago

Basketball, no, it's not a good replacement. Kentucky, Florida some years and....? I live in Louisiana, and we'd get destroyed by the SEC in football. Would have during the Orange Bowl year too. Selfishly the opportunity to go to Baton Rouge and see the Jayhawks would be very fun, but i see very little good in the SEC.

utahjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I guess I don't understand the economics with the B10 given that NU was attractive to them. Definitely we win that battle in terms of media market size with KC over Omaha. Is it strictly attendance driven or national branding rights that bring in the money?

If the B10 doesn't work, the next best overall solution is the Pac-12. The Big East is fresh meat for the other conferences and will be the next Big XII to dismantle. The SEC is not a good fit at all in terms of culture, geography (travel times just as bad as the Left Coast), and more importantly, academics. It's by far the weakest conference academically and that needs to factor into this deal. I hope UT gets the ACC deal and we go to the Pac-12 with OU, OSU and MU.

Travis Shinkle 3 years, 1 month ago

Interestingly, recently the Big 10 said that if Nebraska would have lost their academic credentials BEFORE signing up with the conference, the Big 10 would have pulled off the table their offer....

ohjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

The travel times to the SEC as bad as the Left Coast is not even close. If you take the average distance from Lawrence to the current Pac-12 teams, it is 1218.67 miles. The next furthest average distance would be to the current Big East teams, at 856.12 miles. The SEC is next at only 617.92 miles, and, naturally, the Big 10 is the shortest avg distance at 489.08 miles. There are 9 Pac-12 schools and 8 Big East schools that are at least 1000 miles from Lawrence. There are no SEC (Florida 977) or Big 10 (Penn St 930) schools 1000 miles or more from Lawrence. A move to the Pac-whatever it ends up being would, by far, be the worst travel distances for KU to navigate.

David Friend 3 years, 1 month ago

Utah. Nebraska is a brand in football and kansas is not. Thus worth a lot more for the big 10.. Being a brand in College BB is not that valuable, especially now that on a national level most people only watch the NCAA bb tournament.

tychi_jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree with Keegan on Kansas staying in the BCS. I'd like to think we could go with MU to the B1G but that seems pretty unlikely from all the reporting. PAC16 would be the next best in terms of geography: KU,MU,OU,OSU,CU, AZ, AZS. That's pretty good. Through in a few big trips every year but for the most part you have the old BIG8.

Despite the previous postings, the PAC12 DOES want KU and MU. Both are AAU, bring two new TV markets, and have national exposure. Does anyone think the University of Utah is more prestigious than KU?

KU has options. We'll be OK. Poor KSU, ISU, and Baylor.... probably not.

hawksince51 3 years, 1 month ago

While I remain skeptical due to our weak football program, it is nice to think we have all the options that Keegan suggests in this article because it sure looks to me like the Big 12 is history. IMHO the Big East remains KU's most realistic option but the B1G would be better. I seriously doubt we have a shot at the Pac?? with all the stronger football schools in the Big 12 South probably heading there. While I realize there are financial considerations, I would just as soon not to be in the same conference as Texas.

El Jay 3 years, 1 month ago

I would love to see KU and Mizzou go to the Big 10 - that would be my ideal situation. But if not that, we have to find a way to get into the Pac-12 and I say we need to act fast. I dont want to end up in the Big East at all. That is the most ridiculous conference.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree about the Big Least, their conference basketball tournament is about to have as half as many that are in thee NCAA tournament. The conference Tourny will take 3 weeks to play if they keep adding more schools.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

I live in Omaha. What makes that funnier is that Shatel (the writer) is a Missouri grad.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

Me too. Have met Tom a few times, he is a good guy and I don't think he cheers for the Tigers anymore, his wife might kick him out of the house if he did.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

So besides at home where do you watch the KU games and not get laughed at or booed at especially during basketball season?

I have tried a few places and it seems like everyone wants to call them a flop come tourny time, but I just throw that NU football has flopped more than its fair share too. DJ's Dugout on 114th used to be good and so did Tanners on 156th and Maple before it was sold.

Always looking to watch a game with fellow Jayhawks!!!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

Options:

1] Everybody settles down and the Big 12 remains viable [and monkeys simultaneously fly out of the butts of each university president]

2] Big Ten expands to include Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois [Naaahhh....is too logical and makes too much sense.]

3] SEC..Kansas too weak in football, too strong in basketball. [Besides no one in the SEC wants Free Staters in the Confederacy]

4] Pac 10 Western Division of Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Missouri would have 4 teams in the Central and 4 teams in the Mountain time zones { and we'd get our annual punching bag, Colorado, back!!!!]

5] Big East is ready and waiting for us.[ yeah...but do we really want them!!??]

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

There is no situation imaginable where monkeys flying out of university presidents' butts doesn't make things better!!

texashawk10 3 years, 1 month ago

1) I'd love to see this happen

2) Big 10 only expands when Notre Dame decides to join and then they go east for the other 3 schools. My guess would be Pitt, Maryland, and Virginia.

3) Agree

4) Only 2 schools are in Mountain time zone year round. During football season, Phoenix and Tucson are on the same time as the west coast.

5) If it's the Big East vs. a non-AQ Big 12, I'll take the Big East.

KGphoto 3 years, 1 month ago

Just because KU hasn't been offered Big 10 membership doesn't mean it won't happen. The Big 10 hasn't offered anybody yet. They will have to jump to 16 eventually though, and who is really an overall better fit than KU and MU? I could see them taking Pitt. That makes sense. But the remaining AAU members that could go would be Rutgers, Virginia, Iowa St. or Maryland. That's a pretty short list.

Cincinnati and West Virginia don't have the academics. That's all there is.

I would love to take an offer in any BCS conference rather than be left out, but I think prematurely taking one from the Big East might trip us in getting dealt into the Big 10 when they finally make their move. And then when the Big East gets dissolved, here we are again.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

That's why if the PAC offers, we take! We're not in position to wait for the big1G to possible take us.

kureader 3 years, 1 month ago

I can't see KU joining MU and the Pac 12 if the Big East is an option. Would Zenger and the Chancellor separate themselves from K-Straight (especially Zenger)? .

tychi_jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I think they would. SZ has said many times he's looking out for what's best for KU and even Brownback has said that KU/KSU is not a package deal.

I really hope we get into the PAC12 or BIG10. The Big East is the next Big12.

mustlehustle 3 years, 1 month ago

UT to the PAC 12...doesn't appear likely as the $300M agreement with ESPN would have to go away and the Texas Board of Regents aren't likely to forfeit $300M when over the first 10 years of the contract, $5M of that money goes directly to the academic side of UT.

Texas would like to keep the Big 12 intact, but also looking at the Notre Dame model of parking their non-football sports in a conference that would allow them to keep their network and not "regionalize" it like Larry Scott in the Pac 12 would require. However, the LHN is to showcase the non football sports of Texas, so finding a conference that would support that, may require a complete shuffle of the proverbial deck.

It's interesting to see the disdain from people at the thought of Kansas State thinking they're of equal footing and consideration of Kansas. In order to garner any consideration and fit the PAC 12 model of grouping 2 schools per state, it will require some solidarity within the State. The Big 10 or Big East for your games....as you can see...this is no longer about "money" or "exclusive tv networks" its about musical chairs and who's egos are going to be stroked, and insulted along the way.

willie_fu_fu 3 years, 1 month ago

One of the selling points of expansion is how well we support our team in winning and losing. We have a BCS win in our recent past, something Missouri does not, and we sent a lot of fan support to that game, something conferences look at. We may be down right now but we know we can get win here and can bring a lot to the table football wise once we get back up. We have the ability to compete with Washington, Washington st., Oregon st., Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and maybe Cal and UCLA on a yearly basis. I also don't think Texas recruiting will fall off too much if we stay with OU and OSU. Pac-12 should be the top choice followed by the Big-10 then Big least.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

I really hope that KU goes West and joins the PAC ##, that way we can renew are rivalry with Colorado.(insert sarcasm font)

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

I get the sarcasm, but in all honesty I miss that trip to Boulder. Boulder is AWESOME!!!

chalky 3 years, 1 month ago

KU in the Big East is like the wives joke "Men are idiots, and my husband is their king"...

scraptown 3 years, 1 month ago

If ou and o-state join the PAC12, ut and tt will go too and make it 16. UT wants it and has already figured put how to keep the network. The big 10 might take mu because that gets them the kc and stl markets, plus makes geographical sense. KU & K-state go to big east with mu or isu, makes two - 6 team football divisions and 4 basketball divisions. They have their tv contract coming up and it will get a big contract with this setup. Good, bad, or indifferent, ku doesn't go to pac12 or big10.

Not to mention the KS board of regents will probably dictate that both Kansas schools end up in same conference. Theyy did it before when it looked like the big12 was going to break up, and I'm sure they'd do it again.

chalky 3 years, 1 month ago

Would rather be part of the mix in a power conference, than a premier team in a weak one.

Travis Shinkle 3 years, 1 month ago

Here's my personal take: the Big 12 is cooked and done. One thing not listed with my opinions below must include MANDATORY scheduling of the Kitty Kats at least once a year in football and twice a year in basketball...just like the good ol' days.

Best options: 1) Got to the Big 10 with Missouri. Closer competition and best fit both in sports and academics...but 5% chance of happening...

2) Pac-whatever

3) Big East

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 1 month ago

20 team Big East basketball schedule: Four 5-team divisions divided geographically: (KU, MU, K-St, TCU & S. Fla.), an east coast bball only division, a midwest bball only division and an east coast football/bball division.

Play in division home & away and rotate with one other division every year.

Division winners get a bye in the first 2 rounds of the tournament.

Lets do it now!

Jim Pendleton 3 years, 1 month ago

Not only no, but @#$% no!

The Big Least is the worst option of all out there. We must do the Pac-12 if offered. Has the best options, some existing rivalries already in place which includes some of the teams we have been playing in bb over the years, and the game time starts are not really an issue.

tychi_jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Uh no!? jayhawkjim80 is right. Big Least is the worst BCS option for us. If we go to PAC16 with OU,OSU,and MU, that'll make 5 of the orignal BIG8. WAAAYYYY better. Sure, some games will go really late, but we'll have at least 5 within driving distance.

troutsee 3 years, 1 month ago

Agree. PAC 12 best option. Go for it Zenger. The B12 is like trying to hold jello together.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

The more I think about this I would rather KU games start later than earlier. If they would go Big Least or B1G then the games would start at 6 and that's right when you get home and are sitting down for dinner. Football games starting at 10am local time??? Not for me, have to travel the night before for a home game, not a lot of time to tailgate and then what do you do from 1pm on?

The clock cuts both ways.

jgkojak 3 years, 1 month ago

It is likely the Big East will be raided by the ACC when the super-conferences form.

They will likely take UConn, Syracuse (whom they have wanted for a while) and possibly W Virginia and Pitt.

The Big 10 has its eye on Rutgers and Pitt.

So there is a good chance UConn, Syracuse, W Va, Pitt and Rutgers are out of Big East football.

Assuming the ACC stays in tact, that means the SEC is probably scrambling for its 14th member - the could take S Florida from the Big East... or they could take MU.

Bottom line - all of a sudden, without those 5 schools, the Big East is: basketball only Louisville Cincinatti S Florida Kansas? Iowa State? Kansas State? TCU Baylor? Providence Georgetown Villanova DePaul Marquette Notre Dame*

That's an 8 team football conf. and a 14 team basketball conf.

The basketball is just fine, about even with the current B12, and the travel's not bad.

The football gives KS a shot at winning a title.

As you can see, its not a viable conference. At that point, the former members of the B12 are calling the shots, and they may as well form their own conf., ask Louisville, Cinci, and TCU to join them and BYU and Air Force (forget S Florida).

That gets you a 10 team Big 12 of: Kansas Kansas State Iowa State Baylor TCU Louisville Cincinatti BYU Air Force or Missouri, if the SEC doesn't get them.

If I'm going for an interim solution - this is the one I'm after - we maintain our BCS status by keeping the B12 together, and keep the tourney in Kansas City where it belongs instead of Madison Square Garden.

This is not a great solution - because its only a matter of time before the SEC and B10 expand to 16- its pretty clear that KU and MU are the logical choices, especially if Notre Dame continues to say No to conf affiliations.

What we should hope is that the SEC takes MU to be the 14th team, the B10 takes Pitt and Rutgers to get to 14.

This means that in a few years, Kansas becomes team #16 (after Notre Dame) for the B10.

bjejayhawk69 3 years, 1 month ago

If the Big 12 implodes and cannot be salvaged then going east is KU's best option. Big 10 first - simply a better football conference than the Big East. But the Big East may be the best for KU as far as competition. Our football team could compete with better opportunity for going a BCS or any bowl game. Look at history - we have never consistently gone to any bowl games and playing in the Big East allows our football team to be more competitive and what is comes down to is - win more games. Basketball is already good but image the bump it gets with playing Big East teams. We will be talked about even more and recruiting the eastern part of the US just got a lot easier. Our games will be watched a lot more than playing at 10:30 PM on the west coast. Travel will suck either way but it will be easier to travel east than crossing the Rockies with every trip for all sports.

Lastly - to make KU more attractive during this time of upheaval as fans the one thing we can do is get your *ss out to the football games and make us look like we care about football. Unfortunately football is driving all this and KU needs to look like football is important and not just showing up at basketball games. We had over 40000 for the game Saturday which actually surprised me but it needs to full for every game this year. No one wants to see highligts with silver empty bleachers in the back ground. Hell KSU had 50000 there to watch them almost choke to E Kentucky.

billhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I tend to agree with you (but I don't know much). I think basketball would maintain its status quo in the top 25 and the football team might actually be competitive and have a chance to make progress in the Big East. I've heard a lot of people imply that there's more $ to be made in the PAC, but I'm not sure how much more after the Big East renegotiates their contracts. Also, not sure the PAC would really want us; there's a general elitism that anything in the Midwest is crap. Either way the travel will stink, but its not about the student athletes (ever).

Justin Lindsley 3 years, 1 month ago

Its just sad... I thought we would be OK for at least 5 years. By then maybe some of this would have cooled down. There is no reguard for the student athelete or the fan. This is all money related. The "Business of College Athletics". Who's interest is really behind all of this crap? At this point the Big 12 is a no go. Even if they come together, how long till the next school puffs its chest out and looks for greener grass.

"The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence,..... but it still has to be mowed"

I hope KU lands on her feet in a good conference. I hope that it will work well with our fan base. ROCK CHALK no matter what!!!!!!!!!!

ku_foaf 3 years, 1 month ago

No real talk of KU to the ACC, but that would be great. We'd fit in there, football isn't all that great there anyway! If we gotta travel, I'd rather go to GA or NC than Conn or NJ.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 1 month ago

Do not give up on the Big10. After OSU and OU go West I think the Big10 will feel safe to talk. Keegan makes some points. Our Stadium needs to be greatly enlarged. It is a matter of time anyway. The superstructure that will be needed for adding 10,000 seats is going to be needed for adding 5,000. So, get the best bang for the buck and add the most seats you can. Then, hire a good promoter to get those seats filled up. I used to take kids from our church and they always had a blast and we always stayed to the finish. I could get those seats filled. It seems to me that 70,000 in Metro KC and being a flagship university we can fill those seats. Personally I think our marketing has a lot to be desired.

As far as the students are concerned, start selling beer at the stadium but make it 1% alcohol. They won't care. Have raffles for major prizes at halftime and toward the end of the game. Make it fun for all. Make it interesting.

jgkojak 3 years, 1 month ago

Our stadium is the same size as Minnesota's and Northwestern's. So this stadium stuff in nonsense.

hawkalumN2011 3 years, 1 month ago

Remove the freakin ridiculous track around the field and add at least 3,000 seats!!!

lama 3 years, 1 month ago

The problem with the Big East is it will continue to get poached. There are all sorts of issues between football and non-football schools. I'd rather join the Pac-12 and put this to bed.

rob4lb 3 years, 1 month ago

No new rumors yet today. That's always disappoining. Not much here in Houston on the sport talk airwaves or the paper. I have found the daily "lunchtime links" on the ESPN Big 12 blog (link below) to be a good source of information. As a bonus, the blogger came up with this week's Big 12 Power Ratings (KU is NOT 10th!!).

It looks likes a waiting game to see what OU decides. We are not going to make a preemptive move. I would imagine that this is like a chess match and everything knows what they will do 3-4 moves ahead.

I did get a bad thought and some other have alluded to the same regarding KU possibly taking lesser opportunity (the Big East over Pac 12) so that they can stay with K-State. That should never be factored in the thinking. KU should be more tied to MU than K-State. My preferences in order: 1. Big 10 with MU 2. Pac 12 with OK schools and preferable MU though I bet UT comes back into the picture. 3. Revamped Big 12 - I can't see anyone of value joining. 4. Big East

As Tom Petty sang during the year I graduated from KU, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part"

blog http://espn.go.com/blog/big12

kureader 3 years, 1 month ago

I just don't believe that Zenger would never do something that would help KU, but hurt K-State. He may have a few KU roots, but his K-Straight roots are much deeper. And, I doubt the Chancellor is driving the decision, so Pac 12 is probably out if it means breaking ties with K-Straight.

I'd probably be OK with the Big East, but lama, above, makes a good point about conflicts in the Big East between football and non-football schools.

rob4lb 3 years, 1 month ago

I would hope he would act in the best interest of the school who is paying him $400K/yr. I do believe the presidents and chancellors are now driving this. There are a couple of other players in conference realignment who are K-State grads who do not seem to worry about K-State's landing spot. They are Deloss Dodds, the UT AD and Kevin Weiberg the assistant commissioner of the Pac 12.

Torisen 3 years, 1 month ago

If I were organizing a 16-team conference, I'd set it up with 4 divisions. In Basketball, you'd play your division-mates twice and every other team once, for a total of 18 games. In football, you'd play your division mates every year, all of one other division on a rotating basis, and however many other games are required to get to the number of games you want. The best record out of the 2 divisions that play each other goes against the best record from the other 2 divisions that also play each other for the championship game.

For a Pac 16 with KU + MU, I'd set up the divisions as:

Washington - Wash State - Oregon - Oregon state Stanford - Cal - Utah - Colorado UCLA - USC - Arizona - Arizona State Oklahoma - OK State - KU - MU

Or put all the California schools together, and Utah - Colorado - Arizona - ASU. But it's a faster drive from UCLA to Arizona State than from UCLA to Stanford.

okiedave 3 years, 1 month ago

KU and remaining Big XII schools collect about 120 million in the exit fees and bring in Boise State, BYU, Wyoming, Colorado State, Utah State, Utah and Air Force and we do some skiing during football and basketball seasons.

rob4lb 3 years, 1 month ago

Why- you've just created a second rate conference that has no potential for a large TV contract. I also think that if enough teams leave, the conference disbands and no exit fees are owed.

142466 3 years, 1 month ago

Keegan is essentially correct. Only thing I would differ with is his opinion about the BE. It's not a good fallback position for us. It's a distant 3d place option.

PAC is clearly best for us if we bring 3 (possibly 5) other B12 members with us. OVERALL, our academic standing, sports ranking, progressive culture, and geography fit best there. Sports wise, this resembles the mergers of the ABA into the NBA & the WHA into the NHL.

B10 is still reacting to the inevitable. Probably a year or two away from extending invitations. KU, please don't wait on them. We might not be invited & would then have little choice but to go to the BE.

PAC is the leader, ahead of the curve, regarding the inevitable movement towards Super Conferences That tells you something in and of itself.

KU, join the PAC.

truman 3 years, 1 month ago

Do academics play into this at all ? If so, KU will not get into the Big 10. I have a relative who applied to a Big 10 school and was not accepted . This person's ACT score and GPA was higher than what you have to have to get into KU...just saying.

lama 3 years, 1 month ago

That could change now that the State finally seems serious about increasing admissions standards. If it does, KU's "ranking" in several of the surveys will increase overnight due to admission standards measures.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

After reading this I'd say OU is leaving and they really don't care about Texas. Just as Texas doesn't really care about anyone but themselves.

hailtoku 3 years, 1 month ago

Most realistic options:

1. Big 12 adding more schools.
  2. Big East
  3. Mountain West
  4. Pigs Flying
  5. Big 10

matlockhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

If the Big 12 teams, the 'A'CC, and the Big East combined, you could call them the Big Ass East!!! lol

mikehawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I like the Big East for basketball and recruiting, involving high school player options, and games being at a time recruits can watch us play. These kids are in bed and won't see the west coast games. In football, we are competitive week in and week out in the Big East. However, the Four Super Conferences theory has more credence every day, and that may mean "poaching" from the Big East from the ACC, and that puts us back where we are today. The safest, long term arrangments would be with the Big 10 first, and the PAC 12 (16) next. I think Kansas and Mizzou are attractive together. I love keeping KU and KSU together, but sadly, we can't really take care of them right now. This is ugly and sad, driven by money with rivalries and history of little consideration. I think the Four Super Conferences theory makes KU attractive to several conferences. We have national brand because of basketball. Right now, my dream is the Big 12 to somehow survive and thrive in all of this. That's just it...just a dream.

STL_Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Why do people keep saying that our stadium doesn't need to be expanded simply because it is just as big as the stadiums for Northwestern, Indiana, and Minnesota? With that logic, I'll add that Vandy's 39K seat stadium is good enough for the SEC.
There is just one problem with that logic. No conference is trying to steal any of those 4 programs away from their current conference. I'll guarantee that Georgia wishes every away game against Vandy could be played on a neutral site since Georgia would bring more than 39K fans. Memorial Stadium at 50K seats even fails in comparison to stadiums at Mizzou (71K) and that football school Kentucky (68K). I don't want KU to be the next Indiana in football. I would rather they be the next Arkansas. We wisely spend a lot of money attracting the best recruits to AFH. I would just like us to have a football stadium that improved our ability to attract premium recruits.

MUTIGER 3 years, 1 month ago

KU and KSU stay together and will be the newest members of the Missouri Valley Conference. Mizzou to the big 10 or SEC if the big 10 doesn't expand. : )

MUTIGER 3 years, 1 month ago

Blame Texas and their greed for ruining our historic rivalries. MU vs KU is one of the best rivalries ever. Sad days ahead for an original Big 8 fan.

floydtemple 3 years, 1 month ago

Future: 4 Super Conferences, 16 teams each (PAC, BIG, SEC, & ACC)

All these super conferences want bigger footprints for more TVs.

Current: 67 Football Teams from BCS conferences (Big East and Big 12 imploding as PAC, BIG, SEC & ACC expand) plus Notre Dame, BYU, Boise St., Tulane, Hawaii, Southern Miss, Air Force to name some prominent independents and/or non BCS conference schools.

67 plus 7 equals 74

4*16=64

It is likely that at least 3 big 12 teams will be left out of a 4 super conference scenario with 7 other teams possibly filling voids in PAC, Big 10, SEC, and ACC. Football in the Big East would be lower quality than any of the other 4 big conferences.

ACC could lose teams to BIG and SEC. ACC backfills from remnants of Big East and Big 12.

Here are my scenarios for 4 super conferences (total guesses based on TV markets):

PAC: California, Stanford, Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Arizona, Arizona St., USC Utah, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Boise St., Texas Tech

BIG: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St., Nebraska, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio St., Penn St., Purdue, Wisconsin, Indiana, Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri

SEC: Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Miss St., Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Miami

ACC: Clemson, Florida St., N.C. State, Boston College, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, Kansas, Kansas St., Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati

Independent: Texas, Notre Dame

Out in the Cold: Iowa State, Baylor, BYU

If Texas and/or Notre Dame want to join a super conference then 1 or 2 teams get bumped out...Kansas St ACC, Missouri BIG.

Who knows???...this is a total mess.

floydtemple 3 years, 1 month ago

oops, forgot UCLA in PAC, that would give them 16 teams.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

So this is what the KU football board is like...lots of talk about fantasy scenarios.

Let me cut to prime rib here.

All that matters is that KU gets in an eastern time zone conference with serious basketball (note: options are Big East, ACC, Big Ten, SEC) and Bill Self and KU start getting blown by Dick Vitale and ESPN.

Until the football team is good enough to lead KU into such a conference based on its football prowess, KU basketball comes first and caring about what is good for KU football comes second.

KU football squandered its chance to matter, when, after big money was plowed into it, it couldn't build on its great Mangino teams, and instead crashed and burned.

Gill is at least two years from making KU matter and when he does he will almost certainly jump to Nebraska, so wishing and hoping for a KU football renaissance is like hoping Fat Albert turns into Beyonce. With plastic surgery, anything is possible, but not worth planning on.

KU and Bill Self need constant oral gratification from Dick Vitale and ESPN, and their co-supplicants at CBS sports, of the same variety that Calhoun, Boeheim, Roy, and Coach Consonants get. Only those in an Eastern Time Zone conference are given that sort of stimulation.

Recruiting players to Kansas is crucial.

KU has one of the best recruiters in history in Bill Self.

And even he can't recruit effectively in the present circumstance.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

He needs to be able to sell all the conventional virtues of KU, plus:

1) conference stability; and

2) the certainty of himself, KU and his players receiving oral gratification from Dick Vitale and ESPN/CBS.

Joining the Big East guaranties 1 and 2 above now.

ACC would be good, but they appear to have no need.

Pac 10+N is a non starter. It guaranties even worse coverage. It drags KU even farther from the east coast tip offs. The Pac Ten+N proves even large population bases and sizable ad revenues can't compete evenly against an eastern time zone foot print team getting the proper oral gratification from the sports media octopus living under a rock on the east coach.

Big Ten has no need and so is no option, but I'd take it if it were an option.

SEC?

Somewhere, sometime, you have to draw the line at how low you will stoop. Joining a bunch of ex-slave states is it. Our experience with a bunch of ex-slave state schools in Texas has been less than satisfying. Were it not for the sadistic joy I get from Self out-coaching Granny Barnes every season, I would say the entire Texas experience has been sufficient only to make me wish to take more baths.

Conference USA? Frankly, I'd rather join the Atlantic Ten.

Football and the minor sports are going to have to figure out how to operate on whatever conference and conference revenues KU basketball can attract.

Reality check: KU football, and recall that a ton of money has been plowed into KU football over the years, couldn't get KU invited to a Loser's Banquet right now. Enjoy head injury season if you must, but don't waste anyone's time talking about the role of KU football in determining which conference KU should join, or how KU is reaping the whirlwind for not having invested enough to make KU football great. KU football is what it is: the fall sport at a great basketball school. Deal with it.

Rock Chalk!

troutsee 3 years, 1 month ago

Downgrading KU FB will not help us get into a good conference. Tell you what, like it or not, as good as KU BB is, it is practically irrelevant in this decision. So you better deal with that bit of realism. Our BB tradition may help us a scooch, but not much. Deal with it.