Originally published May 17, 2011 at 11:47a.m., updated May 18, 2011 at 02:34a.m.

Recruits DeAndre Daniels, Jamari Traylor and Trevor Lacey to pick schools Wednesday

Kansas head coach Bill Self watches with the bench as the Jayhawks make a run against Illinois during the second half on Sunday, March 20, 2011 at the BOK Center in Tulsa.

Podcast episode

Spodcasters

The latest on DeAndre Daniels, Trevor Lacey and Jamari Traylor from JayhawkSlant's Shay Wildeboor

JayhawkSlant.com's Shay Wildeboor joins Jesse Newell to discuss a potentially huge recruiting day for KU on Wednesday. Where do the Jayhawks stand with DeAndre Daniels (No. 10 according to Rivals.com), Trevor Lacey (No. 24 according to Rivals.com) and Jamari Traylor (No. 141 Rivals.com)? Shay gives the latest on each ...

Download podcast

The 2011 college basketball spring signing period concludes Wednesday with Kansas University hoping to add a whopping three players to the roster.

The Jayhawks are awaiting word from: No. 10-ranked DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8, 180-pound small forward/power forward from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla.; No. 24 Trevor Lacey, a 6-3, 190-pound combo guard from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala., and No. 141 Jamari Traylor, a 6-7, 230-pound power forward, who is a teammate of Daniels at IMG.

Daniels and Traylor are slated to enter the office of IMG director of basketball Andy Borman sometime Wednesday, call the coaches of the finalists on their list with their decisions, then speak to the media. Lacey has a 2 p.m. news conference slated at his high school.

Here’s a look at the three players and how their recruitment stands entering Decision Day.

Daniels: Daniels, who Borman said has a final list of KU, Texas and Oregon — Duke is apparently no longer an option — attended the KU-UCLA game as part of his official campus visit to KU on Dec. 2.

Then a junior at Taft High in Woodland Hills, Calif., Daniels committed to Texas on July 3, 2009. He decommitted in August of 2010.

Daniels last January was believed to be KU-bound for the second semester of the 2010-11 school year with his IMG teammate, Christian Garrett.

Garrett did join the KU program as a walk-on. However Daniels returned to IMG to complete his senior year. He’s said very little during the recruiting process.

Others, however, have gushed about his game.

“DeAndre Daniels can fill it up from the outside and with his size, can also score down low,” Rivals.com analyst Shay Wildeboor said Tuesday. “He is a proven three-point shooter, who has aspirations of playing the 3 (small forward), but he’s a 3-4 (power forward) right now. He’d be a huge addition — an immediate impact player at KU.”

Lacey: Lacey, who has a final list of KU, Kentucky, Alabama and Auburn, made a campus visit to KU on May 7-9.

The long-range bomber, who averaged 31 points a game his senior season, was considered a heavy Alabama lean, until his stock soared second semester.

Lacey’s dad, William Pride, told the Huntsville Times on Tuesday that his son is “just confused. He got to see these universities with big-time basketball, and it just kind of blew him away. This is life-changing, and he’s just really confused.”

On Tuesday night, Pride said his son was in good spirits while working on his homework and said the news conference would be held as scheduled.

Lacey would provide instant offense to KU’s team.

“We have him listed as the No. 5 shooter in high school basketball,” Wildeboor said. “He can fill it up. He can stretch a defense and score in a lot of ways.”

Traylor: Traylor, who has a final list of KU, Oklahoma State, Indiana and Texas Tech, visited KU on April 22-24, a week after visiting OSU.

Traylor, who attended Chicago’s Julian High until his senior year, would add some depth to KU’s front line.

“He rebounds the ball extremely well,” Wildeboor said. “He is a hustle guy. He reminds me of Darnell Jackson in that he has a motor that never stops. He’ll fight for rebounds and loose balls and steal you extra possessions.”

The Jayhawks, who have four scholarships left to give, have already inked guards Ben McLemore and Naadir Tharpe and forward Braeden Anderson.

Comments

JayDocMD 2 years, 11 months ago

DD decision pushed to tomorrow

hawksince51 2 years, 11 months ago

I didn't really care much about this kid given our recent experience with hotshot freshmen guards. Rather have the minutes go to those that have been, or will be, around for a few years like the guards we have coming back and the 2 we have signed. Sure would like to get some help up front though and DD would do nicely there. I'm breaking out the horseshoe and rabbit's foot for his decision, and will break out the vodka to celebrate if we get him. Rock Chalk!

lionhawkward 2 years, 11 months ago

so they say we landed Trayor come on Daniels ....................on IMG web

KUsmoothies 2 years, 11 months ago

Any idea what time DD was planning on announcing?

hawk82 2 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self has suffered the odd problem of too much talent at certain positions the past few years. Even the Championship year. Let's see if the current talent pool can be molded once again into a League Champion, or better.

I have a good feeling that Robinson, Taylor, Releford et al are going to surprise people. These guys are elite players, and they are surrounded by others with promise, e.g. Johnson, McLemore, Withey. It sure should be fun to watch them develop over the course of the season.

RockChalkGuy 2 years, 11 months ago

The kid was unsure what he wanted to do. Had to make a decision. Home was a safe decision. Oh well, go help Trevor Releford get Bama to the FF so we can be you on the biggest stage.

Sandeep Kalburgie 2 years, 11 months ago

Got a bad feeling about DD and Traylor too :(

wrwlumpy 2 years, 11 months ago

Boy they love their basketball in Alabama.

packywacky88 2 years, 11 months ago

Bamma.....hats really do suck, we didn't want that hack hat trick anyway

Sandeep Kalburgie 2 years, 11 months ago

Trevor Lacey to Alabama :( This sucks

Jeff Worthington 2 years, 11 months ago

Does DeAndre Daniels have a live video feed for his press conference?

treed14ku 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, Trevor Lacey to Bama is being reported as a done deal and it sounds like Deandre Daniels won't sign today. Shay Wildeboor clearly isn't very well connected in the recruiting circles. I will never pay any attention to what that "expert" has to say.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 11 months ago

This blog = the best news source I have on these recruits

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, Shay has totally blown his predictions on these 3. What a mess.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

My buddy Jaybate gets kidded about the length of his posts but I'll bet he could answer this post with a one word response!!!!

JHAWK34TRUTH 2 years, 11 months ago

The way I see it is the more the merrier. Since when is it a bad thing to have a lot of talent on a team? If anything it would make the team better by having them push each other for one goal and that's to win it all.

lrahardja 2 years, 11 months ago

If DD wants to be the next B Rush or even better, he should come to KU. He can improve his defense as KU players are known for. He will get plenty of minutes.

Lacey will get minutes just because that's how Self runs his offense, he will at least get Tyrel's minutes.

Come join us!!!

selfishhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I was just thinking and wondering whether some of our players might be hoping we don't get some or any of these guys. Particularly T. Releford and Elijah Johnson, maybe even Withey. If we get DD, chances are that Releford doesn't get a lot of minutes this year - even more so if we get DD and Lacey. If we get Lacey, EJ will have to fight for quality minutes. Just thinking out loud.

orbiter 2 years, 11 months ago

poor us, woe is us, we're such sad, sad, people. 7 conference titles in a row and a national title three years ago. oh God! curse this dreary slump we're in! we can't carry this terrible burden. we're so sad today, even before the announcements, because we know nothing will go our way. lord, oh please, just give us guns to put in our sad mouths. we can't take anymore indignities. how can we be expected to be dealt these terrible blows!! oh, poo poo pooey poo, our once proud program is just a sad shell in a urine rain.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 11 months ago

I just can't help but think of the 1998-1999 season. The Year after Pierce and LaFrentz left and the year before Collins, Heinrich and Gooden came in... God that year sucked!

RockChalk26 2 years, 11 months ago

Is it just me or did Selby ruin the recruiting excitement?

About this time last year I was on pins and needles waiting for Selby to announce his decision. We all know how that situation played out.

Chris Nieto 2 years, 11 months ago

According to the shiver it's looking like Trevor Lacey is going to remain in his home state, but thankfully there is still time for his decision to change to the Hawks

jdhawk1988 2 years, 11 months ago

I expect all three

Why because HCBS does to and as a fan I should expect nothing less then then expectations of the coach

kushaw 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't know it it's this dreary Wednesday that got me up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but I'm not feeling good about today's announcement. Maybe that's a good thing because I felt really good on Beal's and Turner's announcement's only to be highly disappointed. I sure hope my day turn's around.

I sure wish KU could land another Bud Stallworth from the State of Alabama in Lacey.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

Christian Garrett, Jabari Traylor, Deandre Daniels.....we could become IMG Acadamies West!!

Unfortunately, when I take off my Crimson and Blue Sun glasses and look at this recruiting with a neutral eye, it does not bode well for Kansas.

1] Trevor will either be lured by the bright lights of Lexington or give into the tremendous hometown emotional pull. 2] Deandre will complete his Karmic Circle and return to the school he started with. 3] Jabari, really never had Kansas in his mix...he was heard humming "I wanna be a cowboy".

Hope I am totally wrong..fear I am totally right.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 2 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully, after today, we won't have to hear about how Bill Self takes years off of recruiting.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 11 months ago

...I wanna hear it...ROOOOCKKKK, CHHHHALLLK, JAAAAAYHAWWWWWWWKKKKK. KKKKKKK UUUUUUUUU.....BOOOM! Rockchaljayhawkku, rockchalkjahawkku, rockchalkjayhawk KU!!!!!!!!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 11 months ago

I am wearing my lucky KU polo shirt to work today. As the Black-Eyed Peas are singing, "I have a feeling. . . . . . "

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 11 months ago

Daniels said very recently it is a lie about his academic problems and he is fine. Duke created that lie because he told them to shove it and they didn't like the answer he gave them so they went out and tried shame him.

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 11 months ago

Even though Roy's gone and we don't go the final 4 hardly ever coming to KU is still a great thing

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 11 months ago

UT has a lot a playing time open that might be the deciding factor

jhawkr 2 years, 11 months ago

I am hoping for the best, but we've been burned by the best of them before !

My worry is that Daniels signs with KU, but never qualifies. His academic issues could be the reason Duke pulled the rug out from under him ..............

Lance Hobson 2 years, 11 months ago

I would say we're in a recruiting slump, but mainly because of a strange dynamic that has developed over the past few seasons. The marquee team players are choosing Duke and UNC and a few others, but the one and done non-scholar types that we've been shooting for are going to Kentucky or wherever Calipari is. I think it will change as our staff adapts, but we do have to make some adjustments.

Gil Ek 2 years, 11 months ago

Think we pick up two tomorrow. One a surprise from off the radar. AND Dickie VEE has a stroke, but lives to pick us #4 next year in the Big 12(10)

Joe Templeton 2 years, 11 months ago

My top 3 predictions .......

1 - Daniels to Texas - With the returning talent plus the current signees is just too much to pass up.

2 - Lacey to Kentucky - All Coach call has to do is mention Rose and Wall.

3 - We still win the Big 12!!!!!!

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't these guys tweet? What's their handles...I'm sure indirectly they spilled the beans - haha...wishful thinking.

Well its Christmas Eve and I predict Santa is going to deliver us:

WHO KNOWS! I don't feel Daniels is coming...and Lacey I expect he will stay home. Traylor is 50-50 Ku-Osu.

Does Self sleep tonight?

Will any of these guys say "I decided I am taking my talents to Lawrence"?

Do we win the Big 12 regardless of tomorrows outcome?

Who else is waiting to hear on three or more recruits tomorrow? This is weird!

Are Traylor and Daniels tight like the Morii? If so I know where they are going

Is Dooley the behind the scenes power broker still or is he distracted looking for a coaching gig?

What didn't Duke like? I know I couldn't get into Duke but I am a putz with D3 level track skills and was an average B student.

What the hell is an Academy anyway? Is it high school mixed with militarty school and vo-tech?

Did I beat out Jaybate for the longest post yet?

GilbertAZ 2 years, 11 months ago

I just listened to an interview with Shay Wildeboor from jayhawkslant.com where he said his sources are telling him that the KU coaching staff is expecting to sign three players on Wednesday. Daniels best friend is a walk on at KU, Traylor is Daniels high school teammate, and Lacey's dad loves KU. Wait and see.

cobweb 2 years, 11 months ago

Good that Duke has this thing with math and science.

adamjhwkfan 2 years, 11 months ago

As long as none of them do the HAT thing at all. We don't usually have good luck on those kind of announcements. Hope to see you guys as Jayhawks!

waywardJay 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm Thinking Daniels back to Texas.... Lacey and Traylor here...... Seems to make the most sense but It's only a gut feeling. Could go any number of ways.....

Including Daniels hiding a Duke hat and pulling from behind his back.

Brett Forreal 2 years, 11 months ago

Traylor is a lure to get Daniels to us. We already have the other guy from IMG, can't think of his name at this second.....hope it works!!!!!!

Selbyville 2 years, 11 months ago

I love all these insiders here, it seems everyone knows their stuff

Seth Peattie 2 years, 11 months ago

my BRO Larry in Chicago thinks we'll get two of these ballers!!! you heard it here first!!! good job, Larry!!! du du du!!!

Drew Doerfler 2 years, 11 months ago

I guess that I don't understand why we are recruiting Traylor? Are we really that desperate? So this year we would have power forwards ranked nada-anderson, 146 - traylor, and then zach next yr who has had a freefall drop to 126. Do we really need 3 PF's ranked that low? We are Kansas. And now the word is going around that Daniels is leaning towards Texas. He is the one recruit that we really needed. Lacey would be nice, but Daniels was the one must get recruit and we can't even out-recruit Texas which is not going to be very good next yr, has absolutely no coaching, and no Danny Manning to help him out. And all of this with a lot of playing time available and numerous scholarships......If we miss out on Daniels, I will unfortunately be joining the pessimistic posters wondering about our recent recruiting woes.....but oh well, next year will be fun to watch a new group of guys and what they can do regardless of wins and losses...rock chalk!

Jayhawklegacy 2 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know if the website will broadcast live? Like when Xavier announced.

kgregory01 2 years, 11 months ago

IDK, I think Lacey is less likely than DD for one reason: the hometown factor with AL. He can be the hometown kid who chose AL over KU and KY. If there’s immense support and pressure for him to stay, that will help. It’s the same hope we have that Perry Ellis will go to KU versus god awful UNC or Kraptucky.

Alabama (not Auburn) is good too. And he’ll fit right in at the SG spot. Plus, AL was just ravaged by tornadoes. Empathy may play a factor with him to stay.

bradynsdad 2 years, 11 months ago

To miss out on all three would be a punch in the face to the program, however completing the trifecta and getting all three would make self a genius. In reality I don't think that will happen. I see alot of percentages but no real choices. So I say daniels to Texas, trailer to okie state, and Lacey becomes a hawk. Just a guess no inside knowledge.

jayhawkinmullen 2 years, 11 months ago

Maybe I am reading into this but why put Deandre and Traylor on the cover and have just a little blurb about Lacey. Does someone know something we don't know? I thought lacey would come to KU for sure.

Andrew Dunlap 2 years, 11 months ago

hopefully we can get 2 of them. The top 2. But if we get one, that's fine. you never know what's going on these kid's heads

Chris Bruning 2 years, 11 months ago

-Daniels: 50% chance KU -Lacey: 50% chance KU -Traylor: Oklahoma St.

1jhawk2 2 years, 11 months ago

Let these kids have their moment and enjoy the 30 seconds out of 1 day to be in a spot light. If you were good enough to do it this way you would.

JayDocMD 2 years, 11 months ago

updated percentages:

• Daniels: <25% chance he picks KU - the vibe online this week is TX has pulled ahead
  • Lacey: 50/50 between us and Bama.
  • Traylor: no idea.

based on 100% speculation.

Jacobpaul81 2 years, 11 months ago

When did this crap become like Lebron James announcing he's going to Miami. Just grow a pair and say "I'm going to _."

dynamitehawk 2 years, 11 months ago

DeAndre the Giant and Double Wide Traylor... come on down.

bennybob 2 years, 11 months ago

Anyone know why daniels dropped duke? i was under the assumption they were the leaders coming down the stretch

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 11 months ago

i think it's going to be a major haul and great gets for Coach Self. ever since Lacey visited and Daniels didn't commit to Duke after he visited, it just seems like it will fall into place.

i guess we shall soon see. C'mon new guys....let's all be Jayhawks!

focojayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Am I wrong or was I reading a while back that it seemed like DD was leaning toward Duke?? If they aren't in the picture now, this is looking really good.

Sandeep Kalburgie 2 years, 11 months ago

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 11 months ago

Good point about Nike/Oregon jdhawk1988. They stole one of ours a few years ago and I wasn't sad to see him struggle a bit but Hairston was a decent kid and player..I think he made it to the NBA. Hard not to get wowed w/corporate jets and dreams of shoe deals. So..fingers are crossed, lucky rabbit foot in pocket and I'll throw in a couple of Hail Marys that Self gets his home run and brings in a quality class of recruits. Might rethink the rabbits foot.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

Just a small thing but did you all notice the only school both players have in common?

brooksmd 2 years, 11 months ago

Zagsblog today says DeAndre is down to KU and Texas. No mention of University of Nike..I mean Oregon.

JayDocMD 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh Duck! Oregon? Where did that come from?

I do appreciate giving coaches the courtesy of a phone call (ask Harrison Barnes how not to do it.)

Even though this has been a drawn out process, I do not fault DD for how it has gone down. If I were a 5 star recruit, I would wait until the last minute too. You never know - look at all the coaching and player changes that have happened since the last signing period. If you are a good enough player, it is smart to let all the moving parts settle before you sign on the dotted line.

A lot of complaints about "drama" on other threads, but in my view, none of the drama has been from him or his family members. Then again, maybe X. Henry's recruitment is still too fresh in my mind - nothing compares to the drama of that.

William Blake 2 years, 11 months ago

...x.......x.. ...|...O..|... ...|...|...|... ...--^--... ......|.|...... ......--...... ...../....... ..../........ ...x......x...

All fingers and toes crossed!

jdhawk1988 2 years, 11 months ago

Seeing Nike, I mean Oregon, Join the discussion all of the sudden makes me nervous

IrishDaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

I suspect that there will be at least one father / son $igning......

William Blake 2 years, 11 months ago

Daniels down to KU, Texas and Oregano.

Traylor down to KU, OSU, TT and Indiana.

So if they want to play together in college... let's see...

JayViking 2 years, 11 months ago

Wait, when did Daniels opt for Oregon over Duke?

Scott Oswalt 2 years, 11 months ago

ohhhhhhhhhh boy..... i'm getting nervous!!!