Originally published March 4, 2011 at 03:55p.m., updated March 5, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Danny Manning’s father, Ed, passes away at 68

Former Kansas University assistant coach Ed Manning, father of current assistant coach Danny Manning, died Friday morning in Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. Ed Manning, who battled a long-standing heart condition, was 68.

Services for Manning are pending.

“This is a huge loss for our family and the Jayhawk family,” Danny Manning said Friday. He rode the bus to Columbia, Mo., Friday afternoon with the rest of KU’s coaches and players for today’s game against Missouri. “Many people have already reached out to us in such a short period, and we are very grateful for all the thoughts, well wishes and prayers for my father and for us.”

Ed Manning played basketball collegiately at Jackson State in Jackson, Miss. He then played professionally in the NBA, ABA and overseas.

Following his professional basketball career, Manning was an assistant coach at North Carolina A&T. He would later become an assistant coach at KU under coach Larry Brown from 1984-88. During that time, KU won the 1984 Big Eight tournament, advanced to two NCAA Final Fours (1986 and 1988) and won the 1988 national championship. Additionally, KU won the 1986 Big Eight regular-season and postseason championships en route to its Final Four appearance with Manning on the sidelines.

Following his stint at KU, Manning followed Brown and was an NBA assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. He then worked as a scout in the NBA, in recent years for the Spurs.

“Today, KU not only lost someone who was very instrumental to the success of Kansas basketball in the mid 1980s, but also a very good man who was thought of so highly by everyone who came in contact with him,” said Kansas head coach Bill Self, who was on staff at KU in 1985-86.

Comments

LeBo 3 years, 1 month ago

Sorry to hear of your loss; GOD Bless.

alamohawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I was fortunate to be a manager for the Kansas Basketball Team from 84-87 and worked under Larry Brown and Ed Mannning. He had a way of making you smile and bringing joy to my job everyday I came in contact with him. Razor gave me some of the best coaching on life I've ever had and that coaching I feel has made me the man I am today. My memories of Kansas and Kansas Basketball always seem to have a connection to him and something he said or did. I will miss him greatly and feel like I lost a member of my family. The hearts of the entire Martin Family goes out to the Manning Family.

jazzttt 3 years, 1 month ago

My thoughts are with the Manning family tonight, Mr Ed and Danny are both extremely class acts. I can't remember it being mentioned on today's abbreviated CBS coverage, but they did show Danny, coaching and doing his usual thing vs MU, even though he lost his dad the day before. What a warrior! Be strong, the 'Hawk nation feels for you. KU grad in Arkansas.

cheinz1 3 years, 1 month ago

I graduated from KU in 1983, Ted Owens final year as the Jayhawk coach. It was a horrible year for KU sports that resulted in a football firing, AD resignation and Ted's ouster. During my years at KU, we never advanced to the Final Four, Allen Field House was half full and we had sub .500 Big 8 Conference records the last two seasons. KU basketball was dead in the water with paint actually peeling from the ceiling of the cathedral of college basketball (Allen Field House). The passion was gone, apathy was at an all time high and that Spring, Ted Owens was dismissed in a press release. That class of 1983 was the last to lose on Senior Night. So enter Larry Brown, Ed Manning, Bob Hill who was retained from Ted's staff and others to try and rise the wreck that was KU basketball. We always knew Ted could recruit and unfortunately for him, Larry won immediately in '84 and signed Danny and the rest is history. Some will not recall that four of Ted's recruits started that Final Four game in '86 against Duke in Dallas (Danny was the fifth). I have always felt that Roy Williams received far more credit than he deserves for resurecting KU basketball. I would hazzard to guess where KU basketball would be today without Larry Brown, Ed Manning and the team they put together. The atmosphere that's at Allen Field House would not be there were it not for Coaches Brown and Manning. As we get older, the memory fades but since I was there at the worst of KU basketball in the last 40 years, I think its important to give credit where credit is due...the rebirth of KU basketball starts with Coach Brown and Coach Manning. 68 is far to young to go. Thoughts and prayers from Chuck in Lubbock, Class of J '83

Hail_To_Thee 3 years, 1 month ago

Rest In Peace Mr. Manning.

Coach Manning, The Jayhawk nation is with you in your mourning. May god be with you and your family in this time of loss.

God Bless you Coach.

raoulduke 3 years, 1 month ago

I remember Coach Ed Manning fondly while attending Larry Brown's summer basketball camps many years ago. He couldn't have been any more of a positive influence, as he always went out of his way to personally and positively interact with awe struck kids. My thoughts go out to his family. May he rest in peace.

BunchieBaby 3 years, 1 month ago

Unbelievable all the things that have happen to the Jayhawk Family this year. Danny so sorry to hear about your Dad. May God be with you and your family at this time. I know all the Jayhawks are thinking of you. Your presence today at the KU-MU game says a lot about you and what your Dad would expect. Rock Chalk!!!

truefan 3 years, 1 month ago

Sorry for your loss, Coach Manning.

jawinslow 3 years, 1 month ago

I met Ed several years ago on a flight to Kansas City. He made me feel like we were good friends. He was a good man! Our thoughts and prayers go to the Manning family.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 1 month ago

My deepest sympathies, thoughts and prayers for the Manning family. Ed was a real asset to the KU family and we will always remember him fondly.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 1 month ago

No matter how ill, old, or longsuffering your loved ones, you never want to let them go. But if the Good Lord takes you to it, He'll surely walk you through it. God bless the Manning & Jayhawk families with peace of mind, comfort of soul, and kindness of the heart.

goshenjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Danny, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! May God give you what you need for the coming days.

s6u6r6f 3 years, 1 month ago

Deepest condolences to the entire Manning and Jayhawk family.

Gene Jackson 3 years, 1 month ago

A very good man. Sorry for the loss.

AsadZ 3 years, 1 month ago

My condolences to Danny and the entire Manning family. May God give you strength and courage to go through this difficult time. This is yet another sad day for the Jayhawk nation.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 1 month ago

Coach Danny, May your fond memories of your father carry you through.

gchawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Ed Manning's legacy will always be one of great love and respect by the Jayhawk Nation, may he rest in peace. My sympathy to his family.

aha 3 years, 1 month ago

very sad news. thoughts and prayers to the Manning family.

kevz87 3 years, 1 month ago

Coach Danny our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family. jayhawk nation is here for you and your family in anything you need.

lee3022 3 years, 1 month ago

I do remember when Ed was hired by Larry Brown to come to Kansas. Of course Danny was in HS then and it was a big hope that he would attend KU, as he did. Ed was always a positive force for the team.

Danny, I also offer my condolences as my heart goes out to you and your family at this time of deep loss. May your burdens be lifted by the family of KU as our prayers and cares embrace you.

saanak83 3 years, 1 month ago

Danny, just wanted to say that i will Miss Razor. He was a great friend and a very good basketball coach. I will always be greatful for his kindness to myself and my brothers. My condolences to your mother and sister as well.

Pearl

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 1 month ago

Stop it with the "FOE" crap already. Don't demean the gravity of this by resorting to lower-class, urban vernacular.

My condolences.

Kevin Crook 3 years, 1 month ago

One of my MOST favorite sports moments is when Danny was on the line at the end of the '88 National Championship game and Coach Manning hollered out to Danny, "Danny, settle down". Danny had missed a short jumper or maybe two as OU was trying to come back in the final minute, and it had all come down to the free throws Danny was about to shoot. Danny shook his head and calmly made the free throws to secure the win. It was a really cool moment between the two of them. The Mannings are absolute Jayhawk royalty. Danny is my all time favorite athlete in any sport. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 1 month ago

FOE...Jayhawk nation hearts with u Manning family.

chaggs 3 years, 1 month ago

Add my prayers to the ever-growing list!

The difference between sympathy and empathy is that sympathy is feeling for while empathy is feeling with. There is going to be an indelible bond between T-Rob & Manning. Use each other as the support you need!

Oh, and if thats not enough, the Jayhawk nation has more to offer!

F.O.E.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

One of my most vivid memory of Ed Manning was the look on his face when the clock ran out on April 4th, 1988. He looked so proud! Prayers to the Manning family.

kuae99 3 years, 1 month ago

F.O.E.

God, I hope we can redeem some of the tragedy befallen the Jayhawk family this year.

JayDocMD 3 years, 1 month ago

Just like his son, Coach Ed always seemed like such a gentle spirit. My thoughts and prayers are with the Manning family.

jcourt 3 years, 1 month ago

Sorry for your loss Danny, I wish I could have thanked your Dad for having such a wonderful Son. You gave Kansas back it National presence the years you played there. And then you decided to make Lawrence home, even raised your children there is just a beautiful, beautiful story. I hope you and coach Self can stay together another 15 yrs.

Kylee Manahan 3 years, 1 month ago

Thoughts and prayers for the Manning family! I think we have some new angels looking over our team this year.

Celeste 3 years, 1 month ago

So sorry to hear about this! RIP, Coach Ed. You will be sincerely missed.

RockCaCO3 3 years, 1 month ago

Condolences to the Manning family.

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

It's unbelievable how much adversity this team has had to go through. It just brings home how important FOE continues to be.

Thanks, hawkinhutch (aka Chris), for sharing your personal situation with us. It makes me feel closer to the program when people share their stories. I'm sorry for you and your family's loss.

BL 3 years, 1 month ago

Years ago, when I lived in VA/DC area, I followed the Jayhawks pre- and post season as much as possible as I still do now. Didn't know Ed from Adam. One of those times, had a fortunate opportunity to sit and talk to Ed for quite a while, without knowing "who he was."

Before and after finding out, he was just the best there is. Came away absolutely convinced there was no surreptious reason why he took the offer of Larry's to come to coach at Kansas (as in, it was the only to get Danny to play at KU).

In fact, the whole time I talked to him, I kept thinking: No wonder Danny is such a wonderful, honest and hard working HUMAN BEING. Look who's his most important role model.

So sorry to hear this news, and will be keeping the Manning family near and dear in my thoughts.

Dan Harris 3 years, 1 month ago

So sorry for your loss Danny, may God wrap his arms around you and comfort you as only he can do at this time.

Joe Ross 3 years, 1 month ago

...few things weigh heavier in the balance than my hate for Missouri, but my love for Danny Manning is one of them. I remember all the cutaways to Ed Manning on the bench when Danny played at Kansas, and I got a sense that he was just a very likable guy. Jayhawks everywhere should rally to lift Danny up through his bereavement. He is the best among us.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

So sad to hear that Ed Manning passed away. My condolences, Danny. He will be missed. Like a lot of other early posters said, "What else could go wrong with this team (tragedy-wise)?

Danny, I will pray for you and your family. Jayhawk Nation is with you. God Bless.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

My condolences to Danny Manning & family.

MrPilot 3 years, 1 month ago

I consider myself very fortunate to have met Coach Manning once and shook his hand. It was in 2008 during the KU Barnstorming Tour when the seniors came to town and held an exhibition. Coach Manning was there along with some of his family I believe, sitting court-side on the other side of the arena. There was a steady stream of awestruck fans like myself filing by to say hi. He was very kind and gracious. Meeting him was one of the highlights of my life.

To the other Coach Manning and his family, you have my deepest condolences and prayers.

Clydecito 3 years, 1 month ago

Vaya con .Dios Coach Manning. Thanks for all you did for KU. Danny and family, take comfort in knowing how much your Dad meant to so many. RC

salden 3 years, 1 month ago

One of my best sports memories is watching Ed, who never cracked a smile or frown on the bench, smile and look at the clock as Danny's FT made it 83-79. I love watching that every single time.

RIP Coach... you weren't a Jayhawk long, but you're a Jayhawk forever.

Gootsie 3 years, 1 month ago

It is so hard to lose a parent, basketball guru or not. So sorry to Danny and his family. Warm thoughts to all of you.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 1 month ago

Coach Manning (Ed) passed away @ one of our Texas Health Harris Methodist hospitals in Ft. Worth. What a tragedy. Danny-- Jayhawk Nation loves you and is praying for you & the family. Rock Chalk circle the wagons!

ilovebill 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm so very sorry, Coach Manning. I'll be thinking of you.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

It always angers me, when I think back on it, how much grief Larry Brown and KU received for hiring Ed Manning, at the same time it recruited his son Danny Manning.

If one were truly honest, Ed Manning was probably one of the most knowledgeable big man coaches in the history of college basketball up to that time, until his son Danny followed in his footsteps.

Ed Manning played professional basketball back at a time, when the non stars made little money and often wound up after their pro careers struggling to make ends meet.

Ed Manning was scorned for being a trash man, when he was hired to be an assistant basketball coach.

Screw all those people that scorned and disrespected Ed Manning.

He knew the game up one side and down the other.

He taught Danny what he knew and Danny was a stellar player and a stellar person.

So: Ed Manning knew basketball.

I don't know spit about the Manning family, or whether Ed stayed home and reared Danny, but I suspect he did.

So: Ed Manning must have known something about how to be a father to a son, because Danny Manning is an amazing man and most amazing men have one, or both, parents that gave a darn.

And Ed Manning went on to become an NBA scout.

And if Larry Brown had not recruited Danny Manning out from under Dean and Roy at Baja KU, then Roy would most likely have kept Ed Manning on his staff, when Roy came to KU.

Roy did not make many dumb moves, when he came to KU, but not keeping Ed Manning around was one of them.

KU's big men played amazingly well for Brown and Ed Manning, and based on the repeated experience of bigs playing well for Self and Danny Manning, I have to think this was not a coincidence.

Mannings can coach big men.

I am proud that Ed Manning was KU's first big man coach, who was a big man himself.

I am proud of Ed Manning.

And I respect him.

He could have coached my son any time.

And there are only a few other guys I would say that about and two of them are at KU now. And the other is Larry Brown.

Rock Chalk!

NOTcrusher 3 years, 1 month ago

My deepest condolences from a K-State fan. He was a class act.

jaydeamin 3 years, 1 month ago

My sincere Condolences to coach Manning and his family.

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Condolences, our family to yours, D. We are ever so thankful that your father made the move to Lawrence. He remains an important factor in the realm of modern Jayhawk hoops success and mania.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

The Jayhawk Nation has you in our hearts Danny...

waywardJay 3 years, 1 month ago

I came over to mention our brother in arms Quintrell looks solid to make the NCAA tourney...... and Yeah, anotehr tragedy.

You will be missed, sir.

jhwkfan162515 3 years, 1 month ago

Just heard the news on Facebook from Calvin Thompson. Very, very sad.

pbruner 3 years, 1 month ago

I am so sorry for your loss, Coach D Manning. My prayers, thoughts & heart goes out to you and your family!!

Kirk 3 years, 1 month ago

Raised some great kids and I'm glad he graced the ku program with his stoic presence

bradyboy 3 years, 1 month ago

So sorry to hear. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Manning family. BTW Northern Iowa just got eliminated from the Missouri Valley tourny. God Bless

100 3 years, 1 month ago

Danny, your father's spirit did so much good for my family in the mid 80's. His kind words & sense of humor impacted our children in a positive manner at a time when we needed strength. Your family will always be in our thoughts & prayers.

Wendy magillicutty 3 years, 1 month ago

Having grown up in the Lawrence area, I had the pleasure of meeting Ed while working at the Naismith dorm. He was a great man. My thoughts are with Danny, Dawn, friends and family during this time. Safe travels as well.

Joe Baker 3 years, 1 month ago

I remember Coach Manning on the sidelines and especially in '88. He was a huge part of KU bball success.

Stay focused guys and dedicate this win to Coach Manning, both father and son.

Thoughts and Prayers

kugrandma 3 years, 1 month ago

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Manning family and KU's athletic department.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years, 1 month ago

Danny, our thought and prayers are with you and your family. Know that the entire Jayhawk Nation is here to support you in this time of loss. We will be thinking and praying for you, your family and the entire program. ROCK CHALK

kubbjunkie 3 years, 1 month ago

D. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

juke4jay 3 years, 1 month ago

Our condolences to you and your family, Danny. Take care of yourself during this rough time. Our prayers go with you.

Damian Glaze 3 years, 1 month ago

Thoughts and prayers to the Manning family and friends. Rest in peace Ed and the University of Kansas family will hold fond memories of your contribution to the basketball program and the University.

sundancewierdo 3 years, 1 month ago

Prayers are with you, so sorry for your loss...

Momanfan2015 3 years, 1 month ago

What more could happen to this team?

JRandall 3 years, 1 month ago

Thinking of U Danny & Family.

Marc Frey 3 years, 1 month ago

My prayers are with Danny and his family.