Originally published March 4, 2011 at 03:55p.m., updated March 5, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Danny Manning’s father, Ed, passes away at 68

Former Kansas University assistant coach Ed Manning, father of current assistant coach Danny Manning, died Friday morning in Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. Ed Manning, who battled a long-standing heart condition, was 68.

Services for Manning are pending.

“This is a huge loss for our family and the Jayhawk family,” Danny Manning said Friday. He rode the bus to Columbia, Mo., Friday afternoon with the rest of KU’s coaches and players for today’s game against Missouri. “Many people have already reached out to us in such a short period, and we are very grateful for all the thoughts, well wishes and prayers for my father and for us.”

Ed Manning played basketball collegiately at Jackson State in Jackson, Miss. He then played professionally in the NBA, ABA and overseas.

Following his professional basketball career, Manning was an assistant coach at North Carolina A&T. He would later become an assistant coach at KU under coach Larry Brown from 1984-88. During that time, KU won the 1984 Big Eight tournament, advanced to two NCAA Final Fours (1986 and 1988) and won the 1988 national championship. Additionally, KU won the 1986 Big Eight regular-season and postseason championships en route to its Final Four appearance with Manning on the sidelines.

Following his stint at KU, Manning followed Brown and was an NBA assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. He then worked as a scout in the NBA, in recent years for the Spurs.

“Today, KU not only lost someone who was very instrumental to the success of Kansas basketball in the mid 1980s, but also a very good man who was thought of so highly by everyone who came in contact with him,” said Kansas head coach Bill Self, who was on staff at KU in 1985-86.

Comments

Marc Frey 3 years, 9 months ago

My prayers are with Danny and his family.

WichitaHawk1434 3 years, 9 months ago

Our prayers are with the Manning family. Danny, I had the honor of meeting your father. He was a good man to me and my family.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 9 months ago

I thought nothing more could have happened and then this...I'm scared to think that something beyond this could occur.

Thoughts and Prayers with the entire team, especially Danny.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 9 months ago

Damn, I'm thinking the same.....my prayers go out to coach Manning and his family....

sundancewierdo 3 years, 9 months ago

Prayers are with you, so sorry for your loss...

Damian Glaze 3 years, 9 months ago

Thoughts and prayers to the Manning family and friends. Rest in peace Ed and the University of Kansas family will hold fond memories of your contribution to the basketball program and the University.

Mike Skiles 3 years, 9 months ago

Our condolences to you and your family, Danny. Take care of yourself during this rough time. Our prayers go with you.

kubbjunkie 3 years, 9 months ago

D. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years, 9 months ago

Danny, our thought and prayers are with you and your family. Know that the entire Jayhawk Nation is here to support you in this time of loss. We will be thinking and praying for you, your family and the entire program. ROCK CHALK

kugrandma 3 years, 9 months ago

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Manning family and KU's athletic department.

Joe Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

I remember Coach Manning on the sidelines and especially in '88. He was a huge part of KU bball success.

Stay focused guys and dedicate this win to Coach Manning, both father and son.

Thoughts and Prayers

Wendy magillicutty 3 years, 9 months ago

Having grown up in the Lawrence area, I had the pleasure of meeting Ed while working at the Naismith dorm. He was a great man. My thoughts are with Danny, Dawn, friends and family during this time. Safe travels as well.

100 3 years, 9 months ago

Danny, your father's spirit did so much good for my family in the mid 80's. His kind words & sense of humor impacted our children in a positive manner at a time when we needed strength. Your family will always be in our thoughts & prayers.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 9 months ago

God Bless Danny and his family. Thank you to Ed for his time at KU and making you a great man.

1. I'd sure like to know who you are.... I have little doubt by the clues you have left in your post's that you are very close to the KU family as your vast knowledge of KU sports. I always read your post's to see what your perspective is on any given situation. They are always spot on.

bradyboy 3 years, 9 months ago

So sorry to hear. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Manning family. BTW Northern Iowa just got eliminated from the Missouri Valley tourny. God Bless

Kirk 3 years, 9 months ago

Raised some great kids and I'm glad he graced the ku program with his stoic presence

pbruner 3 years, 9 months ago

I am so sorry for your loss, Coach D Manning. My prayers, thoughts & heart goes out to you and your family!!

waywardJay 3 years, 9 months ago

I came over to mention our brother in arms Quintrell looks solid to make the NCAA tourney...... and Yeah, anotehr tragedy.

You will be missed, sir.

waywardJay 3 years, 9 months ago

Quintrell is a hell of a player. By his senior year he will be a force.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 9 months ago

The Jayhawk Nation has you in our hearts Danny...

REHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Condolences, our family to yours, D. We are ever so thankful that your father made the move to Lawrence. He remains an important factor in the realm of modern Jayhawk hoops success and mania.

jaydeamin 3 years, 9 months ago

My sincere Condolences to coach Manning and his family.

NOTcrusher 3 years, 9 months ago

My deepest condolences from a K-State fan. He was a class act.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

It always angers me, when I think back on it, how much grief Larry Brown and KU received for hiring Ed Manning, at the same time it recruited his son Danny Manning.

If one were truly honest, Ed Manning was probably one of the most knowledgeable big man coaches in the history of college basketball up to that time, until his son Danny followed in his footsteps.

Ed Manning played professional basketball back at a time, when the non stars made little money and often wound up after their pro careers struggling to make ends meet.

Ed Manning was scorned for being a trash man, when he was hired to be an assistant basketball coach.

Screw all those people that scorned and disrespected Ed Manning.

He knew the game up one side and down the other.

He taught Danny what he knew and Danny was a stellar player and a stellar person.

So: Ed Manning knew basketball.

I don't know spit about the Manning family, or whether Ed stayed home and reared Danny, but I suspect he did.

So: Ed Manning must have known something about how to be a father to a son, because Danny Manning is an amazing man and most amazing men have one, or both, parents that gave a darn.

And Ed Manning went on to become an NBA scout.

And if Larry Brown had not recruited Danny Manning out from under Dean and Roy at Baja KU, then Roy would most likely have kept Ed Manning on his staff, when Roy came to KU.

KU's big men played amazingly well for Brown and Ed Manning, and based on the repeated experience of bigs playing well for Self and Danny Manning, I have to think this was not a coincidence.

Mannings can coach big men.

I am proud that Ed Manning was KU's first big man coach, who was a big man himself.

I am proud of Ed Manning.

And I respect him.

He could have coached my son any time.

And there are only a few other guys I would say that about and two of them are at KU now. And the other is Larry Brown.

Rock Chalk!

oldalum 3 years, 9 months ago

Quote: "Roy did not make many dumb moves, when he came to KU, but not keeping Ed Manning around was one of them."

I don't think Roy had a choice here. It is my understanding that Larry Brown took Mr. Manning along with him to be one of his assistant coaches when he went to the NBA. RIP, Mr. Manning. You will be missed.

hawkinhutch 3 years, 9 months ago

My name is Chris Michaels. My mother is Joan Manning, Ed's wife and recent widow.

I read her your post and she asked that I post back to you giving you our appreciation for he fine things that you have to say about my Stepfather.

He truly was a wonderful man who knew and loved basketball very much. I didn't amount to much on the basketball court but he taught me everything I know about basketball.

His love and respect for Kansas Basketball was amazing. I had no choice but to choose to be a Jayhawk and all of my children are as well.

We are all deeply sad over our loss but find much solace in your wonderful post defending a subject that was one of disappointment to him. He was blessed to have Danny as a son. Danny is a great man. But....As you said above Ed knew basketball. He knew how to coach. And being blessed to have gone to many games with him, I saw all the time, the respect that players and other coaches gave him. It made me very proud to have him as my Stepfather.

So, thank you for your kind words and taking up your sword to defend a man who did not feel the need to defend himself. Although he was hurt by the cynics. He always thought that all things would come out in the wash in the end.

Thank you again for your words of kindness, jaybate. I am a big fan of your posts anyway this has endeared me a little further.

Also thank you to everyone else for the kind words.

Alohahawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Your personal message as an immediate family member reminds us that it isn't just Danny, but the entire Manning family who are grieving. As a member of the Jayhawk Nation I add my personal condolences.

I graduated from KU long before Danny and the Miracles won the "88 championship, so I never had the opportunity to meet your stepfather, Ed, or Danny. However, everything I've ever seen or heard about Danny leads me to believe he is someone I admire and respect. Danny probably would have ended up like that anyway, but a person's personality and makeup usually starts with the parents. If Danny exemplifies anything of what his dad was, Ed must have been a great person and father, someone I would have felt priveleged to know.

Another star has joined those above, always there, a guiding light sparkling down from above. Perhaps the State of Kansas motto, "Ad Astra per Aspera" (To the Stars Through Difficulty) is somewhat fitting.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 9 months ago

Very sorry for your loss. Behind most of our great men are great fathers and your father must have been just that.

jaybate 3 years, 9 months ago

Dear hawkinhutch,

Thank you for responding on behalf of your mother and family. I am honored and will keep this response among my most cherished memories.

jhox 3 years, 9 months ago

Well said Jaybate. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ed Manning, but he always seemed like a quite, respectful man, intelligent man. We were extremely lucky to have had him in our program. I believe the greatest legacy a man can leave is his children, and who wouldn't be proud of having raised Danny. That alone says a lot about the man.

domino 3 years, 9 months ago

Well said, jaybate. Condolences to the entire Manning family, friends and all those who knew and loved Mr. Manning.

kerbyd 3 years, 9 months ago

Bate, I remember when you recently quoted Gale Sayer's words from the movie "Brian's Song" when he talked about his love for Brian Piccolo. Those words came flooding back in thinking about all this team has been through. Very touching and very cool. Thanks.

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 9 months ago

Excellently put, Jaybate.

I'm too young to remember Ed Manning's tenure at KU myself, but judging from what a great man Danny seems to be, Ed must have been stellar as well.

Add my thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the list as well. Hopefully the comments from this extended Jayhawk family can offer the Manning family some small comfort.

klbranstetter 3 years, 9 months ago

Great post! I had the good fortune to watch Danny play and his dad be on the bench during my days as KU.

My thoughts and prayers with the entire Manning family as well as the KU basketball family during this very difficult time.

Win one today for Ed Manning, Jayhawks!

FLJHK 3 years, 9 months ago

Beautifully done Jaybate. As usual, your knowledge and perspective is on-target. Ed Manning deserves very special recognition in Jayhawk lore. My sincere condolences to Danny, Mr. Michaels and the entire Manning family.

ilovebill 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm so very sorry, Coach Manning. I'll be thinking of you.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 9 months ago

Coach Manning (Ed) passed away @ one of our Texas Health Harris Methodist hospitals in Ft. Worth. What a tragedy. Danny-- Jayhawk Nation loves you and is praying for you & the family. Rock Chalk circle the wagons!

Linda Aikins 3 years, 9 months ago

It is so hard to lose a parent, basketball guru or not. So sorry to Danny and his family. Warm thoughts to all of you.

salden 3 years, 9 months ago

One of my best sports memories is watching Ed, who never cracked a smile or frown on the bench, smile and look at the clock as Danny's FT made it 83-79. I love watching that every single time.

RIP Coach... you weren't a Jayhawk long, but you're a Jayhawk forever.

Clydecito 3 years, 9 months ago

Vaya con .Dios Coach Manning. Thanks for all you did for KU. Danny and family, take comfort in knowing how much your Dad meant to so many. RC

MrPilot 3 years, 9 months ago

I consider myself very fortunate to have met Coach Manning once and shook his hand. It was in 2008 during the KU Barnstorming Tour when the seniors came to town and held an exhibition. Coach Manning was there along with some of his family I believe, sitting court-side on the other side of the arena. There was a steady stream of awestruck fans like myself filing by to say hi. He was very kind and gracious. Meeting him was one of the highlights of my life.

To the other Coach Manning and his family, you have my deepest condolences and prayers.

hawkinhutch 3 years, 9 months ago

I remember that to. Ed, my mom, my kids, and myself were there in the sports arena that evening. He always enjoyed talking to fans, he made all the time in the world for them. Used to be annoying as a kid and I can remember my kids not being thrilled about having to share Grandpa that day, but it is amazing to think of all the people who always recognized him.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 9 months ago

So sad to hear that Ed Manning passed away. My condolences, Danny. He will be missed. Like a lot of other early posters said, "What else could go wrong with this team (tragedy-wise)?

Danny, I will pray for you and your family. Jayhawk Nation is with you. God Bless.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

...few things weigh heavier in the balance than my hate for Missouri, but my love for Danny Manning is one of them. I remember all the cutaways to Ed Manning on the bench when Danny played at Kansas, and I got a sense that he was just a very likable guy. Jayhawks everywhere should rally to lift Danny up through his bereavement. He is the best among us.

Dan Harris 3 years, 9 months ago

So sorry for your loss Danny, may God wrap his arms around you and comfort you as only he can do at this time.

BL 3 years, 9 months ago

Years ago, when I lived in VA/DC area, I followed the Jayhawks pre- and post season as much as possible as I still do now. Didn't know Ed from Adam. One of those times, had a fortunate opportunity to sit and talk to Ed for quite a while, without knowing "who he was."

Before and after finding out, he was just the best there is. Came away absolutely convinced there was no surreptious reason why he took the offer of Larry's to come to coach at Kansas (as in, it was the only to get Danny to play at KU).

In fact, the whole time I talked to him, I kept thinking: No wonder Danny is such a wonderful, honest and hard working HUMAN BEING. Look who's his most important role model.

So sorry to hear this news, and will be keeping the Manning family near and dear in my thoughts.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

It's unbelievable how much adversity this team has had to go through. It just brings home how important FOE continues to be.

Thanks, hawkinhutch (aka Chris), for sharing your personal situation with us. It makes me feel closer to the program when people share their stories. I'm sorry for you and your family's loss.

Celeste Plitz 3 years, 9 months ago

So sorry to hear about this! RIP, Coach Ed. You will be sincerely missed.

Kylee Manahan 3 years, 9 months ago

Thoughts and prayers for the Manning family! I think we have some new angels looking over our team this year.

jcourt 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry for your loss Danny, I wish I could have thanked your Dad for having such a wonderful Son. You gave Kansas back it National presence the years you played there. And then you decided to make Lawrence home, even raised your children there is just a beautiful, beautiful story. I hope you and coach Self can stay together another 15 yrs.

JayDocMD 3 years, 9 months ago

Just like his son, Coach Ed always seemed like such a gentle spirit. My thoughts and prayers are with the Manning family.

kuae99 3 years, 9 months ago

F.O.E.

God, I hope we can redeem some of the tragedy befallen the Jayhawk family this year.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 9 months ago

One of my most vivid memory of Ed Manning was the look on his face when the clock ran out on April 4th, 1988. He looked so proud! Prayers to the Manning family.

chaggs 3 years, 9 months ago

Add my prayers to the ever-growing list!

The difference between sympathy and empathy is that sympathy is feeling for while empathy is feeling with. There is going to be an indelible bond between T-Rob & Manning. Use each other as the support you need!

Oh, and if thats not enough, the Jayhawk nation has more to offer!

F.O.E.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 9 months ago

FOE...Jayhawk nation hearts with u Manning family.

Kevin Crook 3 years, 9 months ago

One of my MOST favorite sports moments is when Danny was on the line at the end of the '88 National Championship game and Coach Manning hollered out to Danny, "Danny, settle down". Danny had missed a short jumper or maybe two as OU was trying to come back in the final minute, and it had all come down to the free throws Danny was about to shoot. Danny shook his head and calmly made the free throws to secure the win. It was a really cool moment between the two of them. The Mannings are absolute Jayhawk royalty. Danny is my all time favorite athlete in any sport. My heart goes out to him and his family.

100 3 years, 9 months ago

A heads up to Danny & family.... Below is an Internet troll. We're not sure which school he roots for but its obviously not us. Sorry he is allowed to post today. Jayhawk nation's hearts are with you.

100 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey Earl.... I still think you were the greatest point guard in the history of the NBA.

Derrick Rose has nothing on you.

Had some great times with you & Jo Jo & Ed way back when.

And those Baltimore Bullets.... Man that was a squad with you & Ed.... And you brought home the rookie of the year trophy!!!!!

I completely agree with what you said.... Ed was a great coach. He will be missed dearly.

I'm so glad you were able to contact Danny & his family on this board, he will read these at some point.

His family is such a special group.

Take care Pearl

P.S. I want to thank you again for lighting up the Lakers in '68 with 56 points... I never really liked those guys until they traded for Wilt, I was always a Celtics guy.... I'm sure you know who I am by now, but I'll write you a letter off these boards & we can get back in touch...

100 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry posted under wrong message.

David Leathers 3 years, 9 months ago

My condolences to Danny and family as well. My thoughts and prayers will be with you!

As far as F.O.E.(Family Over Everything), which, mind you, is a strong force in holding this catastrophy stricken team together, is hard to be construed as an "urban vernacular". "Dawg", maybe. "Homie", OK getting closer. But, seriously, Family Over Everything?

If you're a Jayhawk fan, and I'm asuming not, but if so, how could could you accept this simple team motto as anything else. I mean, how heartless do you have to be to not understand that this team has been through more in one year than most collegiate teams go through in a decade? Grow up and stop trolling.

PS- This Family Over Everything motto, I believe, was started by the Morris twins, which to my knowledge will both be playing in the NBA very soon. This hardly classifies them as "lower-class".

saanak83 3 years, 9 months ago

Danny, just wanted to say that i will Miss Razor. He was a great friend and a very good basketball coach. I will always be greatful for his kindness to myself and my brothers. My condolences to your mother and sister as well.

Pearl

100 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry Pearl I posted something above a post or two. Apparently the Internet threw it under the wrong message. Take care.

100 3 years, 9 months ago

Derrick Rose has nothing on you.

Had some great times with you & Jo Jo & Ed way back when.

His family is such a special group.

Take care Pearl

lee3022 3 years, 9 months ago

I do remember when Ed was hired by Larry Brown to come to Kansas. Of course Danny was in HS then and it was a big hope that he would attend KU, as he did. Ed was always a positive force for the team.

Danny, I also offer my condolences as my heart goes out to you and your family at this time of deep loss. May your burdens be lifted by the family of KU as our prayers and cares embrace you.

kevz87 3 years, 9 months ago

Coach Danny our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family. jayhawk nation is here for you and your family in anything you need.

aha 3 years, 9 months ago

very sad news. thoughts and prayers to the Manning family.

gchawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Ed Manning's legacy will always be one of great love and respect by the Jayhawk Nation, may he rest in peace. My sympathy to his family.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 9 months ago

Coach Danny, May your fond memories of your father carry you through.

AsadZ 3 years, 9 months ago

My condolences to Danny and the entire Manning family. May God give you strength and courage to go through this difficult time. This is yet another sad day for the Jayhawk nation.

s6u6r6f 3 years, 9 months ago

Deepest condolences to the entire Manning and Jayhawk family.

goshenjhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Danny, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! May God give you what you need for the coming days.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 9 months ago

No matter how ill, old, or longsuffering your loved ones, you never want to let them go. But if the Good Lord takes you to it, He'll surely walk you through it. God bless the Manning & Jayhawk families with peace of mind, comfort of soul, and kindness of the heart.

gchawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Very well put, and I definitely concur.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 9 months ago

My deepest sympathies, thoughts and prayers for the Manning family. Ed was a real asset to the KU family and we will always remember him fondly.

jawinslow 3 years, 9 months ago

I met Ed several years ago on a flight to Kansas City. He made me feel like we were good friends. He was a good man! Our thoughts and prayers go to the Manning family.

BunchieBaby 3 years, 9 months ago

Unbelievable all the things that have happen to the Jayhawk Family this year. Danny so sorry to hear about your Dad. May God be with you and your family at this time. I know all the Jayhawks are thinking of you. Your presence today at the KU-MU game says a lot about you and what your Dad would expect. Rock Chalk!!!

raoulduke 3 years, 9 months ago

I remember Coach Ed Manning fondly while attending Larry Brown's summer basketball camps many years ago. He couldn't have been any more of a positive influence, as he always went out of his way to personally and positively interact with awe struck kids. My thoughts go out to his family. May he rest in peace.

Hail_To_Thee 3 years, 9 months ago

Rest In Peace Mr. Manning.

Coach Manning, The Jayhawk nation is with you in your mourning. May god be with you and your family in this time of loss.

God Bless you Coach.

cheinz1 3 years, 9 months ago

I graduated from KU in 1983, Ted Owens final year as the Jayhawk coach. It was a horrible year for KU sports that resulted in a football firing, AD resignation and Ted's ouster. During my years at KU, we never advanced to the Final Four, Allen Field House was half full and we had sub .500 Big 8 Conference records the last two seasons. KU basketball was dead in the water with paint actually peeling from the ceiling of the cathedral of college basketball (Allen Field House). The passion was gone, apathy was at an all time high and that Spring, Ted Owens was dismissed in a press release. That class of 1983 was the last to lose on Senior Night. So enter Larry Brown, Ed Manning, Bob Hill who was retained from Ted's staff and others to try and rise the wreck that was KU basketball. We always knew Ted could recruit and unfortunately for him, Larry won immediately in '84 and signed Danny and the rest is history. Some will not recall that four of Ted's recruits started that Final Four game in '86 against Duke in Dallas (Danny was the fifth). I have always felt that Roy Williams received far more credit than he deserves for resurecting KU basketball. I would hazzard to guess where KU basketball would be today without Larry Brown, Ed Manning and the team they put together. The atmosphere that's at Allen Field House would not be there were it not for Coaches Brown and Manning. As we get older, the memory fades but since I was there at the worst of KU basketball in the last 40 years, I think its important to give credit where credit is due...the rebirth of KU basketball starts with Coach Brown and Coach Manning. 68 is far to young to go. Thoughts and prayers from Chuck in Lubbock, Class of J '83

tyson travis 3 years, 9 months ago

My thoughts are with the Manning family tonight, Mr Ed and Danny are both extremely class acts. I can't remember it being mentioned on today's abbreviated CBS coverage, but they did show Danny, coaching and doing his usual thing vs MU, even though he lost his dad the day before. What a warrior! Be strong, the 'Hawk nation feels for you. KU grad in Arkansas.

alamohawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I was fortunate to be a manager for the Kansas Basketball Team from 84-87 and worked under Larry Brown and Ed Mannning. He had a way of making you smile and bringing joy to my job everyday I came in contact with him. Razor gave me some of the best coaching on life I've ever had and that coaching I feel has made me the man I am today. My memories of Kansas and Kansas Basketball always seem to have a connection to him and something he said or did. I will miss him greatly and feel like I lost a member of my family. The hearts of the entire Martin Family goes out to the Manning Family.

LeBo 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry to hear of your loss; GOD Bless.