Saturday, June 11, 2011

California prep visits Kansas

Recruit Lindsay: Trip to KU ‘unbelievable’

Merv Lindsay, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound basketball small forward from Canyon Springs High School in Moreno Valley, Calif., who orally committed to Texas Tech in April but has since reopened his recruitment, completed an official visit to Kansas University’s campus on Friday.

Lindsay, according to Rivals.com, will visit Marquette on Sunday and choose a college shortly after that trip. He’s not ranked in Rivals.com’s list of top 150 basketball players in the Class of 2011.

“My visit to Kansas was unbelievable,” Lindsay told Rivals.com. “It was everything I thought it would be and so much more. Lawrence is such a great place and the campus is nice. I also played a little pickup with the team and hung out with all of the guys. It wasn't just one or two guys showing me around, but it was everybody. Those guys at Kansas are great.”

Lindsay, who will be eligible to play in the 2011-12 season, averaged 15 points, 10.2 boards and 4.4 assists a game his senior season.

“Lindsay has grown a few inches in the last year and it appears he may not be done as he is a young looking prospect,” ESPN.com wrote. Lindsay said that he has grown from 6-5 to 6-7.

“His frame is outstanding with long arms and he has soft hands. The left-hander has a smooth stroke out to 22 feet, especially in a catch and shoot situation. In addition, he is an astute passer who can find the open man in the half court set. There are few players that have the size and shooting ability of Lindsay.

“Although his shot is smooth, it can be very streaky. In addition, he needs to show a greater urgency of getting open when defenders close out him. His ball skills are weak and he essentially doesn’t have any signs of a mid-range game.”

Elite camp: KU’s Elite camp, which is closed to the public and media, is taking place on KU’s campus this weekend. One of the top players at the camp is Landen Lucas, a 6-8, 240-pound senior-to-be from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev. Kaleb Tarczewski, a 7-foot, 220-pound senior-to-be from St. Mark’s High in Southborough, Mass., was on campus Friday on an unofficial recruiting visit.

Royce to Washington State: Former KU guard Royce Woolridge on Friday announced plans to attend Washington State. The 6-3 Phoenix native also visited Pepperdine.

“I’m extremely excited. It’s a great all-around school. They’ve been getting better (in basketball) every year,” Woolridge said. “It’s the Pac-12, so I’ll be able to come home and play every once in a while before family and friends.

“I have to sit out a year (then be eligible as a sophomore in 2012-13), so I’ll spend a lot of time working on my whole game, making it complete so I’ll be ready when I’m able to play.”

Of KU, he said: “I’ll definitely follow them to see how all my teammates are doing. The team will be great. Elijah (Johnson) is awesome. You have Thomas (Robinson) and Tyshawn (Taylor). There you’ve got three core leaders for the team. Conner (Teahan) can knock down threes. Travis (Releford) is crazy-athletic. They’ll have another great season.”

Comments

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

ralster,

I've been speculating for two years now that we have entered an era of check book recruiting in D1. The cheaters are bound to cut into Self's batting average a little, but you are right. He is still getting a lot of good players and he knows how to coach'em up and knows how to hire assistants that can do the same.

Rock Chalk!

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Coach em up! There are no guarantees, even with top10-rated players...The athletic tools+right attitude some "lowly" recruit may have is known by Self & staff, but by almost no one posting here. And if they dont work out for whatever reason (like Appleton or Quintrell or Downs), then they are told to transfer. You can weed-out before/during/after the 'traditional' recruiting period. You can cleanse your program of players like Giddens and CJGile also...

All of a sudden, after all the yrs at ORU/Tulsa/Illinois/KU, Self now supposedly cant recruit? How funny. Lets hear some more theories.

kentuckyjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Some of you people follow ESPN and SCOUTS and RIVALS to much example NORTH CAROLINA last 2 years how many 5 star recuits and where did that get them. My vote is give the kid a chance could be a diamond in the rough if not "KANSAS STILL MARCHES ON". ROCK CHALK PROUD TO BE A JAYHAWK IN KENTUCKY!!!!!!

jayhawkinnebr 2 years, 10 months ago

Notice, Traylor is going to Kansas ST. per ESPN. Traylor said KST looks better than KU did last year.

lee3022 2 years, 10 months ago

We can settle down friends, about players reporting to KU. Around the country there are some school districts which have not concluded this school year. We do not know if Traylor is here, only that he did not play in the camp scrimmage. This is evidence of nothing.

The recruitment of players involves coaching relationship, style of play, availability of playing time, attraction to other players, attraction to campus, recent national ranking and acceptance of fan base. Only the last one is partly within our sphere of influence. If we continue to diss the4 players coach brings to recruit it has a tiny chance of influencing that recruitment. In that light I would rather withhold baseless negativism about a recruit and trust coach to know what he is doing.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 10 months ago

smells like ACADEMIC ISSUES to me............................

IrishDaddy 2 years, 10 months ago

smells like ACADEMIC ISSUES to me............................

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

The summer months offer ever so much in the way of preparation for a long season of Div. I hoops. These days, schoolkids are advised from the getgo to make the most of offseason offerings by athletic programs and training facilities. Any recruit fortunate enough to sign a letter of intent with a heralded basketball program like Kansas has to be wise enough to realize that every day he is a no-show will just push him back that much further in his position on the pine. For the super stupendous 5 star recruit, deals might be negotiated; but for Jamari and Braeden, it is essential that they meld with the program as quickly as humanly possible. Considering our current shortage of experienced talent at the 4+5 positions, those kids might be counted upon for significant minutes of gametime action at any moment. Their summer development is essential.

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps it is time for LJW to look into the Traylor/Anderson projected arrival dates. Ominous portent? Simple explanation? If I were striving for minutes, even seconds of play this season, I would bust my butt to get on campus to mix with teammates on and off the court; and to introduce myself to Andrea Hudy and her offseason offerings. These guys obviously both need lots of work if they hope to make even a limited impact.

bradynsdad 2 years, 10 months ago

I have to disagree with jaybate. I am on multiple recruiting, college, and sports sites daily and haven't got a whiff of traylor not coming. Rumors are rumors. Here I'll start one and see if it catches on.

I heard that deandre daniels and Angelo chol both backed out of their commitments and will be attending ku. I also heard we are signing next years Ellis and shabazz this weekend.

addlime 2 years, 10 months ago

I hate this. We sign guys out of necessity, and then of course, they don't get any minutes and we have to force them to transfer to get scholly's back. Look at Tyrone Appleton! Don't like this part of college bball at all...

bennybob 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm just curious,

When am I allowed to say I told you so, about recruiting being a flop this year? I was banging that drum in November

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 10 months ago

Jueneman, looked better at his position, on paper and he was a walk on!

theend 2 years, 10 months ago

Like Jaybate.....I too have heard rumors that Traylor will NOT be coming to KU and is actively looking at other school options. I guess we will know soon enough.

theend 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't like the "streaky" shooting part......painfull memories.

hawksince51 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm not able to call this a "home run" but if Self wants to use up one of his available scholarships on Merv, fine with me. I doubt he would play his freshman year but he is still growing and should be capable of improvement. After our experience with OADs the past 2 years, seeing a 1 star project really blossom after a couple of years would be a refreshing change--sort of a throwback to the likes of Al Correll a SF in the early 60's who became known as the K-Sate killer.

Justin Daniel 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree, pass on Merv. This would be like taking the last scoop of cold mashed potatoes at a buffet when a new try of fresh, warm potatoes are on their way out.

By the way, I heard KU was going to offer junior to be James Woodard, guard, from Self's alma mater Edmond Memorial. I've seen this kid and he reminds me of Russ Rob. Just made the ESPN top 50 for the 2013 class. He would be a great fit for KU. Awesome kid on and off the court, he also has a brother who is a senior to be who is being recruited by Baylor, OU, OSU among others.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 10 months ago

Aren't there plenty of 1 star guys already walking around campus who'd like to walk-on and join the practice squad? Why give away scholarships?

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

"Is Traylor Not Coming?"

I said a few days ago that Anderson and Traylor not being in town for the summer concerned me.

If I recall correctly, Christian Garrett and Jamari Traylor were reputedly signed in part to attract Deandre.

But Deandre took the UConn pill.

Garret, who scored zero in the recent scrimmage, came to town quite some time ago, well before the Deandre recruiting process went off the tracks.

But Traylor, who signed about the time Deandre went into his delay game, has apparently not surfaced in Lawrence.

Now this visit?

A Pat Knight/TTech de-commit?

Reputed characterization as follows:

--unranked.

--no floor game.

--weak defensively.

--streaky, spot up shooter.

--6'7" and 200 in story, but listed 6'5" and 180 on ESPN.

p>--Scout.com doesn't even have basic data on him.

This young man seems to have none of Self's minimum qualifications, even for a late recruit in a pinch.

I wonder if Traylor has waffled and may be thinking UConn?

Heck, so many programs are still actively recruiting, I wonder if someone is after Anderson, too.

Merv Lindsay seems a very strange add, even in the age of one-and-dump, non-guarantied rides.

The plot thickens?

Billy Derringer 2 years, 10 months ago

End of the bench type kid, im just still scraching my head over why we seem to be missing out on the top level kids. On the other hand, kudos to HCBS for "doing it the right way" an not giving these kids or parents any extra perks just to ball up here.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 10 months ago

Pass on this kid. This is Kansas, where only the best of the best should play. There's gotta be a juco player still available that is better.

ldjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

If we only get very average players like Merv, I would rather free up the scholarships till next year to land more blockbuster 5-stars!

jayhawker97 2 years, 10 months ago

he'll be a 3-pt specialist - he's got NBA range. he also reminds me of Tayshaun Prince. come on down, Marvellous Merv! join those great guys at Kansas!

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 10 months ago

Gee, seems like a bit of a project, but then it's hard to know how valid these knocks really are when they're written by 'ESPN.COM'.

I didn't know websites could write! Maybe I'll get one of those to take care of all my writing jobs!! Frankly, I prefer to see quotes attributed to real Human Beans, if you get my drift...

Meantime, ROCK CHALK!!!

LaJHawk666 2 years, 10 months ago

ESPN has him graded as a one-star, 77; the others have him N/A. On the plus side, he seems to be a late-bloomer, at least in size, and seems to be okay with the books.

He admits his defense needs a lot of work. Could be a good project....or just another practice guy. Possible depth next year if injuries/suspensions rear their ugly head. We have the scholly....of course, don't want to waste it. If HCBS deemed him Jayhawk worthy I would be happy to have him, but would not get too excited.

RCJH

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Calling my shot by saying "Welcome aboard Merv!"

Get on campus, get in the gym with hcbs, get in the weight room, get a couple of rings, get with some coeds because you're on the team, get a degree.