Saturday, June 11, 2011

California prep visits Kansas

Recruit Lindsay: Trip to KU ‘unbelievable’

Merv Lindsay, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound basketball small forward from Canyon Springs High School in Moreno Valley, Calif., who orally committed to Texas Tech in April but has since reopened his recruitment, completed an official visit to Kansas University’s campus on Friday.

Lindsay, according to Rivals.com, will visit Marquette on Sunday and choose a college shortly after that trip. He’s not ranked in Rivals.com’s list of top 150 basketball players in the Class of 2011.

“My visit to Kansas was unbelievable,” Lindsay told Rivals.com. “It was everything I thought it would be and so much more. Lawrence is such a great place and the campus is nice. I also played a little pickup with the team and hung out with all of the guys. It wasn't just one or two guys showing me around, but it was everybody. Those guys at Kansas are great.”

Lindsay, who will be eligible to play in the 2011-12 season, averaged 15 points, 10.2 boards and 4.4 assists a game his senior season.

“His frame is outstanding with long arms and he has soft hands. The left-hander has a smooth stroke out to 22 feet, especially in a catch and shoot situation. In addition, he is an astute passer who can find the open man in the half court set. There are few players that have the size and shooting ability of Lindsay.

“Although his shot is smooth, it can be very streaky. In addition, he needs to show a greater urgency of getting open when defenders close out him. His ball skills are weak and he essentially doesn’t have any signs of a mid-range game.”

Elite camp: KU’s Elite camp, which is closed to the public and media, is taking place on KU’s campus this weekend. One of the top players at the camp is Landen Lucas, a 6-8, 240-pound senior-to-be from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev. Kaleb Tarczewski, a 7-foot, 220-pound senior-to-be from St. Mark’s High in Southborough, Mass., was on campus Friday on an unofficial recruiting visit.

Royce to Washington State: Former KU guard Royce Woolridge on Friday announced plans to attend Washington State. The 6-3 Phoenix native also visited Pepperdine.

“I’m extremely excited. It’s a great all-around school. They’ve been getting better (in basketball) every year,” Woolridge said. “It’s the Pac-12, so I’ll be able to come home and play every once in a while before family and friends.

“I have to sit out a year (then be eligible as a sophomore in 2012-13), so I’ll spend a lot of time working on my whole game, making it complete so I’ll be ready when I’m able to play.”

Of KU, he said: “I’ll definitely follow them to see how all my teammates are doing. The team will be great. Elijah (Johnson) is awesome. You have Thomas (Robinson) and Tyshawn (Taylor). There you’ve got three core leaders for the team. Conner (Teahan) can knock down threes. Travis (Releford) is crazy-athletic. They’ll have another great season.”

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

Calling my shot by saying "Welcome aboard Merv!"

Get on campus, get in the gym with hcbs, get in the weight room, get a couple of rings, get with some coeds because you're on the team, get a degree.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

Side note: anyone named Merv is automatically up for best jayhawk name ever. Until Shabazz signs.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 6 months ago

No disrespect for Merv but really best name ever? Better than Adonis Jordan. I think not. I am sure if I think about it I can come up with several ahead of Merv. Sasha Kaun, Cherokee Parks...

onlylookin2score 3 years, 6 months ago

Peirce Raef SashaKaun Valentine JoJo Where in the world have you ever heard name: WILT ? There's only 1 Adonis A white guy from Kansas named Tyrel "Rope" Jacque Mario...

are all way better than Merv. No offense intended to the guy. Just seems like a half baked name.. I mean what would make a parent say to themselves... yeah MERV sounds good..I like that. In fact uhh Its like the opposite of a good name.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

True how bout black guys named Richard, Milt, and Archie

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 6 months ago

Well , My choices for best name have always been based on unique names no matter what race the person is. I guess the term unique here would definitely be biased as to my perspective , so from a United States cultural perspective the names you called out are quite prevalent in our (US) culture. Therefore I contend that they are just average names.

lee3022 3 years, 6 months ago

When Merv becomes an All-American at KU and goes on to be a HOF NBAer, his name will join the ranks of great names in KU history.

If APCE wrote it, it must be going to occur!

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't think APCE meant it int the manner in which you appear to have interpreted it. I believe he meant "great name" in the sense of it being a unique name not a name that will end up in the record books because of his contribution of a player.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, maybe I jumped the gun. After thinking about this through the night I'll give you Adonis but raise you an Alfonso and defeat all of your names with. . .Scooter!

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 6 months ago

Scooter is a nickname. Nicknames are in a different category. The best nicknames.

lee3022 3 years, 6 months ago

Best name ever at KU basketball = Phog

kentuckyjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I LOVE PHOG, MY VOTE. MERV = Not a 1 and done good shot (will judge if he is on board), height (can't teach that), ball handling (can teach that), and the one big thing from the replacments HEART (can't teach and will wait and see)

Steve Gantz 3 years, 6 months ago

Best name for most of us who can't remember 1952 is Danny and Mario.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 6 months ago

None of the names mentioned so far are in 1952. In fact none of them appear to be pre 1984. So your intent to insult anyone older than you failed. What you did manage to achieve is to highlight your ignorance about recent history when it comes to Jayhawk basketball. With the existence of the internet there is no excuse for that.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 6 months ago

What in the name of Phog Allen are you talking about? You got from my comment that I insulted older people? Really?
I'm ignorant about recent KU basketball history? Huh?
I make a little flip comment about two of the most memorable names in KU history and you turn it into an unbelievable insult.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 6 months ago

So you think about it for two days and that's your witty retort. I give you another week before you come up with "I know you am but what am I"

Joel Thomas 3 years, 6 months ago

And here I am hoping maybe I'll become more patient and less bitter with age.

John Boyle 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm going go with Wilt. Although Adonis is hard to beat.

Viggo3003 3 years, 6 months ago

Yea the best thing about the "coeds" is they never age :)

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 6 months ago

"His ball skills are weak..." Uhh. Can we not just recruit guys where this is an already established skill? Sounds like a TT recruit not a KU recruit.

lee3022 3 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely! Everyone knows that the coaches cannot improve on a player's weaknesses - just look mo further than Markieff.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 6 months ago

please, Markieff was not the same prospect out of Apex. I have faith our coaches can improve him but he's not Markieff coming out of the gates. If we do get him lee3022 i certainly hope i am proven wrong.

LaJHawk666 3 years, 6 months ago

ESPN has him graded as a one-star, 77; the others have him N/A. On the plus side, he seems to be a late-bloomer, at least in size, and seems to be okay with the books.

He admits his defense needs a lot of work. Could be a good project....or just another practice guy. Possible depth next year if injuries/suspensions rear their ugly head. We have the scholly....of course, don't want to waste it. If HCBS deemed him Jayhawk worthy I would be happy to have him, but would not get too excited.

RCJH

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 6 months ago

...Feels desperate. This would be a case of burning a scholly just cuz. A body for practice. I bet there is a potential walk on who could take this kid.

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 6 months ago

Gee, seems like a bit of a project, but then it's hard to know how valid these knocks really are when they're written by 'ESPN.COM'.

I didn't know websites could write! Maybe I'll get one of those to take care of all my writing jobs!! Frankly, I prefer to see quotes attributed to real Human Beans, if you get my drift...

Meantime, ROCK CHALK!!!

jayhawker97 3 years, 6 months ago

he'll be a 3-pt specialist - he's got NBA range. he also reminds me of Tayshaun Prince. come on down, Marvellous Merv! join those great guys at Kansas!

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 6 months ago

except that Tyshaun Prince was one of the most highly recruited kids in the country

Kevin Studer 3 years, 6 months ago

And this is what we call hyperbole, class.

ldjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

If we only get very average players like Merv, I would rather free up the scholarships till next year to land more blockbuster 5-stars!

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 6 months ago

So you can already project the development curve on Merve (rhyme was not intentional)? So when do you join the coaching staff?

BC5 3 years, 6 months ago

why leave open scholarships? fill them this year. every year kids transfer out so they can play more. if self needs to open up a scholarship for a five star next year, he can and does. quentin left, royce left... these kids know the game. if you want to play here, you have to be the best.

kentuckyjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Like North Carolinas 5 STAR BLOCKBUSTERS THE LAST 2 YEARS. I want a kid with heart, hungery and a chance to prove himself at some place big, somtimes you take a chance and it pays off. HCBS and company can teach ball handling, Quote " The left-hander has a smooth stroke out to 22 feet" so he can shoot knows what to do, just help with the streaky shooting. Can never TEACH SIZE ( GODS GIFT). IF he can use it and I think so if he is avg 10.2 boards. DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH AND 4 YEARS.

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years, 6 months ago

Pass on this kid. This is Kansas, where only the best of the best should play. There's gotta be a juco player still available that is better.

lee3022 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow! What could coach be thinking by bringing in a retread from some other school. Next thing you know we will be taking Memphis' reconsidering recruits - like Marcus and Markieff.

Those of us who write on this board have far more knowledge and experience than is obvious. I just wish coach would check with us before making any boneheaded moves.

Billy Derringer 3 years, 6 months ago

End of the bench type kid, im just still scraching my head over why we seem to be missing out on the top level kids. On the other hand, kudos to HCBS for "doing it the right way" an not giving these kids or parents any extra perks just to ball up here.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

"Is Traylor Not Coming?"

I said a few days ago that Anderson and Traylor not being in town for the summer concerned me.

If I recall correctly, Christian Garrett and Jamari Traylor were reputedly signed in part to attract Deandre.

But Deandre took the UConn pill.

Garret, who scored zero in the recent scrimmage, came to town quite some time ago, well before the Deandre recruiting process went off the tracks.

But Traylor, who signed about the time Deandre went into his delay game, has apparently not surfaced in Lawrence.

Now this visit?

A Pat Knight/TTech de-commit?

Reputed characterization as follows:

--unranked.

--no floor game.

--weak defensively.

--streaky, spot up shooter.

--6'7" and 200 in story, but listed 6'5" and 180 on ESPN.

p>--Scout.com doesn't even have basic data on him.

This young man seems to have none of Self's minimum qualifications, even for a late recruit in a pinch.

I wonder if Traylor has waffled and may be thinking UConn?

Heck, so many programs are still actively recruiting, I wonder if someone is after Anderson, too.

Merv Lindsay seems a very strange add, even in the age of one-and-dump, non-guarantied rides.

The plot thickens?

xfitter 3 years, 6 months ago

Conspiracy!!! Jaybate is on conspiracy theories now, at least this one you seem to half believe its a conspiracy theory instead of you preachin for 3 hours on your "im a holier than thou art, jayhawk fan" based on your whacked out perceptions of college coaching and ball play. Thank god i didnt have to scroll down for 20 minutes to get past your insane rant and rave like normal.

theend 3 years, 6 months ago

Obviously you scroll more than you read Jaybate. Because if you read......you would see that his analysis is excellent. Does he have a lot to say? Yes......but it's accurate and I think he's great. I have said this before about him and other posters.....if you don't like it.....don't read it. This isn't China.....people can post what they want.

duanep5ku 3 years, 6 months ago

This coming from the End the same person that said he was leaving this site for good, to only return a few weeks later kissing ass of posters on here by trying to claim being a fan of KU,which is BS from this fool, Why, are you back it seems that your self imposed exile was short lived that is unless you suffer from short term memory loss when you promised to go away.

Robert Murphy 3 years, 6 months ago

xfitter sounds like a pipe fitter. Why don't you get on a plumbing sight since you add nothing of value to this one.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I hope your theory is wrong. That would be catastrophic to lose those either of those two guys in my opinion. Even being freshmen, they are going to be called on to contribute this coming season.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 6 months ago

If he were to de-commit, wouldn't he have to sit out one year?

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

From my understanding, the financial aid package attaches the school to the kid, not the other way around. With the financial aid agreement, the school cannot withdraw the scholarship offer, but the kid could still leave. The LOI, on the other hand, attaches the kid to the school. He would have to sit out if he didn't come.

You are correct that a school can allow a kid out of his LOI, but that is totally up to the school. The kid is attached.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 6 months ago

Your 6 criteria all fit me except the 6'7" part, and I even have half of that at 200 lbs.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

Jamari Traylor signed a NLI so I'm pretty sure he is coming unless he wants to sit a year and lose a season of eligibility.

Basic Penalty. I understand that if I do not attend the institution named in this document for one full academic year and I enroll in another institution participating in the NLI program, I may not compete in intercollegiate athletics until I have completed one full academic year in residence at the latter institution. Further, I understand I shall be charged with the loss of one season of intercollegiate athletics competition in all sports. This is in addition to any seasons of competition expended at any institution.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Jay,

Self was quoted yesterday saying he could still sign another guy, "although it is getting awfully late." I think he is just looking for more depth... albeit one that would require significant work, apparently.

No idea why Traylor is not on campus yet, but -- as many have stated -- he did sign the National Letter of Intent.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

jhawk7782 and LAJayhawk,

Thx for the clarification on the LOI; that does make it seem likely he will come.

kentuckyjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Talk Talk Talk man you are windy, why dont you take ove the program. I guess you are a judge of great basketball talent or you just need the attention.

--unranked - SO and you belive the gospil of the almighty ESPN, RIVALS oh and dont forget SCOUTS.

---no floor game - Can teach that.

--weak defensively - Seen lots of kids improve greatly in this area at kansas

--streaky, spot shooter. - Did not mention up to 22ft. So he has proved he can hit them just needs work

-- 6 ' 7" and 200 in story, but listed 6 ' 5" and 180 on (THE GREAT AND MIGHTY ESPN) -- Why didn't you also say QUOTE " “Lindsay has grown a few inches in the last year and it appears he may not be done as he is a young looking prospect,” ESPN.com wrote. Lindsay said that he has grown from 6-5 to 6-7." JAYBATE STIRING THE POT.

p>--scouts.com doesn't even have basic data on him - WOW !THE GREAT AND MIGHTY SCOUTS.COM came up with blanks on this kid how could that happen.

Last Traylor will be at KANSAS. Why did you mention UCONN because the last big recruit picked them over KANSAS.

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 6 months ago

Aren't there plenty of 1 star guys already walking around campus who'd like to walk-on and join the practice squad? Why give away scholarships?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

My thought exactly. Sounds like "Junemann" with a growth spurt.

Justin Daniel 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree, pass on Merv. This would be like taking the last scoop of cold mashed potatoes at a buffet when a new try of fresh, warm potatoes are on their way out.

By the way, I heard KU was going to offer junior to be James Woodard, guard, from Self's alma mater Edmond Memorial. I've seen this kid and he reminds me of Russ Rob. Just made the ESPN top 50 for the 2013 class. He would be a great fit for KU. Awesome kid on and off the court, he also has a brother who is a senior to be who is being recruited by Baylor, OU, OSU among others.

Justin Daniel 3 years, 6 months ago

Sorry I had their names mixed up James is the senior to be and Jordan is the junior to be.

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 3 years, 6 months ago

This is the first time I've heard a potential recruit rated on a mashed potato buffet-life scale! (-: Brilliant! HaHa!

hawksince51 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not able to call this a "home run" but if Self wants to use up one of his available scholarships on Merv, fine with me. I doubt he would play his freshman year but he is still growing and should be capable of improvement. After our experience with OADs the past 2 years, seeing a 1 star project really blossom after a couple of years would be a refreshing change--sort of a throwback to the likes of Al Correll a SF in the early 60's who became known as the K-Sate killer.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

I can't agree. Even though it appears that we have an abundance of scholarships..each one is too valuable to just plug a hole. But I've never seen the guy (still haven't) or heard anything about him until today, so I'll defer to HCBS. My worry is that 2012 seems to be a deep class and our only verbal is a low 3 star. I've posted before that I think the rating services are a useful tool not an exact science. Chalmers 5 star Rush 5 star Collins 5 star Arther 5 star Robinson 5 star Sasha high 4 star Rodrick Stewart 5 star Darnell Jackson high 4 star Cole high 4 star Seems the ratings were well done...Of course having a majority of players who stayed 3-4 years didn't hurt.

lee3022 3 years, 6 months ago

Finally a voice of reason. The scouting services do not walk on water. They don't even swim well on may players. If a player, for whatever reason. does not play AAU and does not lead his team to the state championship game the services seem to ignore him.

Also many players grow later (apparently true here) and are uncoordinated during a big growth spurt. Once that stabilizes the player gains his rhythm. He is also considered differently as a 6-7 player than as a 6-2 player.

I do believe coach knows what he is doing. Until others here have a trophy collection to rival the AFH/ Booth display from coach Self, perhaps they can become more trusting of his as well.

theend 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't like the "streaky" shooting part......painfull memories.

theend 3 years, 6 months ago

Like Jaybate.....I too have heard rumors that Traylor will NOT be coming to KU and is actively looking at other school options. I guess we will know soon enough.

duanep5ku 3 years, 6 months ago

I guess the End suffers from short term memory loss because, He once was a critic on here about all things KU. The End be came a hated troll on here by many KU faithful. He then promised to leave the site for good, to only return again but this time he's kissing butt or spewing another kind of BS on here for now but don't fear Kansas fans because the former KU hater is only buying his time on here until he once again shows his true colors.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 6 months ago

Yea, you said that already. This site needs a filter for repetitive comments. It would help make people appear more original than they really are.

Kenny Terry 3 years, 6 months ago

Where are you hearing the rumors about Jamari Traylor at

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

theend,

Sorry if I mislead you. I have not heard rumors Traylor is bailing out. I just noticed that he did not participate in the recent scrimmage and inferred he must not be in town. It made me wonder, if there were a problem. But I have heard no rumors on Traylor.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 6 months ago

Jueneman, looked better at his position, on paper and he was a walk on!

bennybob 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm just curious,

When am I allowed to say I told you so, about recruiting being a flop this year? I was banging that drum in November

lv_jhwk 3 years, 6 months ago

Many, including myself, would agree that this year's recruiting outcome has been relatively weak (in comparson to typical KU hauls). However, this "I told you so" mentality does nothing to impress me, mainly because I doubt you would be on here offering up a mea culpa had things turned out otherwise. I can even understand the desire to prove your point to the numerous naysayers I'm sure you had, but remember that all you did was offer a simple conjecture based upon one of two outcomes. Again, nothing to crow about.

theend 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree....at least not the best recruits "on paper".....but then again look how Selby turned out. He was ok......but not even close to being what the "experts" predicted. X Henry was better but still also not close. So who know.....maybe these guys will have good chemistry.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

I would give HCBS two years at least..they haven't played their first game yet. 2012 will show if Self still has his recruiting magic.

hawksince51 3 years, 6 months ago

While you may be proven to have been correct about this year, I'm not sure what would lead you to start "banging that drum in November," Many of our recent highly rated recruits committed during the summer--Rush, Henry, Arthur, and, I think, the Morris Twins. Even Selby did not commit until the McD all-star game--as I recall but am trying to forget.

addlime 3 years, 6 months ago

I hate this. We sign guys out of necessity, and then of course, they don't get any minutes and we have to force them to transfer to get scholly's back. Look at Tyrone Appleton! Don't like this part of college bball at all...

theend 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree to an extent. But it's not a perfect world. Self jot who was needed at the time and did his best with it......and remember it's a 2-way street. nobody forced these kids to come to KU.....they also did what they thought was best for them at the time.

Ok Duanep5ku.....now please remind everybody that I'm a KU basher and a troll. Thx!

David Hodges 3 years, 6 months ago

Sorry End... cats out of the bag buddy. Rock Chalk!

bradynsdad 3 years, 6 months ago

I have to disagree with jaybate. I am on multiple recruiting, college, and sports sites daily and haven't got a whiff of traylor not coming. Rumors are rumors. Here I'll start one and see if it catches on.

I heard that deandre daniels and Angelo chol both backed out of their commitments and will be attending ku. I also heard we are signing next years Ellis and shabazz this weekend.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

My apologies if I mislead you into thinking I had heard a rumor about Traylor. I have not. But not seeing him in Lawrence this summer for that scrimmage made me wonder, if he were having second thoughts; that's all.

Tad Shurtz 3 years, 6 months ago

TRAYLOR SIGNED A NATIONAL LETTER OF INTENT. He's bound to KU, unless he doesn't qualify. Please stop making my head hurt.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

How can some one with a brain as small as yours even feel a head ache? :-)

Hey, now there's a thought. What if he's having trouble qualifying? :-)

kentuckyjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

How can someone with no Common Sense jaybate be such a jack*** like you oh because you have no Common Sense. Man I am not perfect in spelling and my punctuation is out the window, but I have a voice and I hit the wrong keys but still I have something to say like everybody else and I dont like being belittled by people like you. We all serve a purpose in life.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

kentuckyjayhawk,

How do you type from inside a douche bag?

bradynsdad 3 years, 6 months ago

No worries jaybate. I know you have no malice towards our hawks at all. I was just having a little fun. The responses to your post do show that you have quite a following on here, so congrats.

REHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps it is time for LJW to look into the Traylor/Anderson projected arrival dates. Ominous portent? Simple explanation? If I were striving for minutes, even seconds of play this season, I would bust my butt to get on campus to mix with teammates on and off the court; and to introduce myself to Andrea Hudy and her offseason offerings. These guys obviously both need lots of work if they hope to make even a limited impact.

REHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

The summer months offer ever so much in the way of preparation for a long season of Div. I hoops. These days, schoolkids are advised from the getgo to make the most of offseason offerings by athletic programs and training facilities. Any recruit fortunate enough to sign a letter of intent with a heralded basketball program like Kansas has to be wise enough to realize that every day he is a no-show will just push him back that much further in his position on the pine. For the super stupendous 5 star recruit, deals might be negotiated; but for Jamari and Braeden, it is essential that they meld with the program as quickly as humanly possible. Considering our current shortage of experienced talent at the 4+5 positions, those kids might be counted upon for significant minutes of gametime action at any moment. Their summer development is essential.

lee3022 3 years, 6 months ago

We can settle down friends, about players reporting to KU. Around the country there are some school districts which have not concluded this school year. We do not know if Traylor is here, only that he did not play in the camp scrimmage. This is evidence of nothing.

The recruitment of players involves coaching relationship, style of play, availability of playing time, attraction to other players, attraction to campus, recent national ranking and acceptance of fan base. Only the last one is partly within our sphere of influence. If we continue to diss the4 players coach brings to recruit it has a tiny chance of influencing that recruitment. In that light I would rather withhold baseless negativism about a recruit and trust coach to know what he is doing.

kentuckyjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Some of you people follow ESPN and SCOUTS and RIVALS to much example NORTH CAROLINA last 2 years how many 5 star recuits and where did that get them. My vote is give the kid a chance could be a diamond in the rough if not "KANSAS STILL MARCHES ON". ROCK CHALK PROUD TO BE A JAYHAWK IN KENTUCKY!!!!!!

kentuckyjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Had to add HEART he is hungery and wants to prove himself. I belive we will be fine with or without him but give the kid a chance.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

I've always stated that the recruiting services are a useful tool and it takes a good coach to use it properly and even then, mistakes are made..i.e.Micah Downs.

"example north carolina last 2 years how many 5 star recuits and where did that get them"

It helped them win a National Championship in 2009. Isn't that 2 years ago? Yes..it was technically 3 seasons ago but still a bad example. Would not bet against them this year either. We had six 5 Star players on our 2008 NC team and like UNC's 2009 team, we had a mixture of players who had been together 3-4 years as well as some talented one and two year players.

I think it's OADs that are the problem..it's a big step from HS to big time collage ball. Maybe Kentucky would be a better example.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

ralster,

I've been speculating for two years now that we have entered an era of check book recruiting in D1. The cheaters are bound to cut into Self's batting average a little, but you are right. He is still getting a lot of good players and he knows how to coach'em up and knows how to hire assistants that can do the same.

Rock Chalk!