Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Report: KU QB Brock Berglund charged with assault in Colorado

Valor Christian quarterback Brock Berglund, right, scrambles away from Steamboat defenders in this 2009 photo from the Class 3A state championship football game in Aurora, Colo. Berglund signed to play football at Kansas University on Jan. 4, 2011.

According to a KCTV5 report Wednesday night, Kansas University freshman quarterback Brock Berglund, of Highlands Ranch, Colo., was away from the football team this spring and summer because he was facing assault charges back home.

The report said Berglund, a three-star QB from Valor Christian High who was ranked as the 13th best dual-threat quarterback in the country, has been charged with third-degree assault in Douglas County, Colo., and is scheduled to attend a pre-trial conference.

According to the report, Berglund allegedly threw a punch while defending his girlfriend, who was being harassed. The police report said alcohol was not believed to be a factor.

KU football coach Turner Gill, who returned from a trip overseas Wednesday afternoon, released the following statement regarding the incident: “We are aware of the situation involving Brock Berglund. We are going to let the legal process run its course. We will also handle it appropriately internally here at KU.”

Berglund originally committed to Colorado during his senior season at Valor Christian but later changed his mind and joined the Jayhawks after CU fired coach Dan Hawkins and replaced him with Jon Embree.

Berglund graduated high school early and enrolled at KU last December. He arrived on campus in January and began taking classes but quickly returned to Colorado because of what the university called “personal circumstances.”

At the time, Berglund said: “I am committed to being a part of the Kansas football program and am excited to join my teammates this summer.”

He reaffirmed his commitment a little more than a week ago when he sent a text message to the Journal-World that proclaimed, “100% a Jayhawk.”

Since that time, however, sources have said that Berglund has not been present at voluntary summer workouts and has continued to deal with legal issues back in Colorado.

Players are scheduled to report for preseason camp Aug. 3.

Interactive Timeline

Brock Berglund timeline

Here is a timeline of the events that have unfolded since dual-threat quarterback Brock Berglund, of Highlands Ranch, Colo., first committed to KU.

Comments

Keith Hummel 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahper - Please stop using his girlfriends picture for your avatar. Not cool!

Ethan Berger 2 years, 9 months ago

If this happened in Texas, the file would have been thrown away, and the kid accusing Brock would have been thrown in jail just for messing with a Texas High School qb.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

does KU have ANY standards of conduct ?

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

"Matt Tait > Keegan, just not larger"

Another nonsensical comment. What exactly did Tait do wrong here?

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

"Brock was not dating the girl at the time of the incident. The other party suffered a significant injury. The girl was not being harassed. She was with a long time family friend who she dated prior to Brock."

WTF??? If Brock was "not dating the girl at the time of the incident," then how can she be with someone whom she "dated prior to Brock???"

Hello, consistency!

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow! Not a basketball article. It's not clearly the coaches fault and we haven't lost yet. 142 comments. This is Bizarro World.

jayhawkintx73 2 years, 9 months ago

If he was protecting his girlfriend, and gets charged for a crime for that, there is something wrong with the law in Colorado. I'm just saying, even if it is against the law and it was my girlfriend, I'd go to jail for protecting her. There isn't anything morally wrong with what he did. The law, however, is immoral.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh this is great! I work with a Kstate fan. What a perfect fit. I can see it now the koolaid guy running through a wall when they score a TD.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 9 months ago

Ah the avitar experiment! Think I found KSucks new mascot! The koolaid man! OH YEAH!

Chris Bailey 2 years, 9 months ago

AGAIN! CALLING MATT TAIT! MATT TAIT TO THE BLOG!

okiedave 2 years, 9 months ago

Brock was certainly justified in defending his girlfriend from being "harassed". The issue is -- was a punch reasonable required in order to stop the harassment? If so, congradulate him on the dismissl, red shirt the kid and welcome him as a great asset to the team. If not, let him know that the one year probation will not change the course of his life, then red shirt him and welcome him as a great asset to the team.

Jayhawker111 2 years, 9 months ago

The assault doesn't answer why Berglund left Lawrence for Colorado as the "alleged" crime happened months after he had already left Lawrence for Colorado.

If the kid would have stayed enrolled at KU for spring/summer none of this would have happened.

Jhawk59 2 years, 9 months ago

Guy just jumped a notch in my book. Hope his teammates pat him on the back for this.

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 9 months ago

this is nothing compared to the thuggishness of most of the guys on the team. chris omigie anyone?

rob4lb 2 years, 9 months ago

Regardless of the situation, he has become a disruption on a team that can ill afford any disruptions. It may not be at all his fault, but this is not what a team as fragile as KU needs at this time.

dtownhawkfan 2 years, 9 months ago

more thugs=more wins

lets get him back on campus!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

I've never seen a kid go from least favorite to my favorite jay hawk (why does iPad do that<--) off all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New slogan for Brock:

If ya ssssssmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll what the Brock is cook'n

Lebowski 2 years, 9 months ago

Nobody knows wtf happened... but hey... I got an idea, let's all have an opinion on it!!

Personally, I think punching someone isn't that big of a deal. He ain't carrying a gun, a knife or a chainsaw... then I really don't care. Did he make him put his mouth on the curb and smash his skull like a watermelon? No? Then who the F cares.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 9 months ago

jayhawker111 - how bad was this guy hurt ?

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

i think i'm gonna like this kid, might be my new favorite player

Jayhawker111 2 years, 9 months ago

Off the internet ...take it for what it is worth!!

Brock was not dating the girl at the time of the incident. The other party suffered a significant injury. The girl was not being harassed. She was with a long time family friend who she dated prior to Brock. The charge mentioned is not the original charge. Brock could have accepted a plea and received probation but declined. The berglunds have retained the attorney who handled Kobe bryants rape case. Question is who started it. DA thinks it was Brock . I Happen to be very good friends with the boy who was injured and his family. Very powerful people.

Trial will be in 12-18 months.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

How about Turner saying he'll let the courts deal with it. I'd would of thought he would of went with the "gods plan" take.

Kenneth Hillman 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow this thing is getting blown out of proportion. Brock, good for you for defending your girlfriend. Handle your legal business and get to campus asap. I can't believe popping somebody who is messing with your girl creates a legal situation (if that is what happened).

There really are some sallies on this board. Take back his scholarship? He fits in with the other law breakers? He deserves a second chance? Wha tha.....???? You guys saying this are so soft it drives me crazy. (if the info above is correct) This is why Brock is dealing with legal issues is because of the softies in our society and the litigious nation were in now...ridiculous.

Go play with the blue ribbon you got for getting last place and if somebody hurts your feelings sue em.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 9 months ago

Squawkhawk - do us all a favor...get off your high horse and go jump in a lake.

squawkhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

This kid is just another head case that we don't need at KU. He has already demonstrated a lot of immaturity and very poor decision making. He has isolated himself from his teammates and already has a God complex. If you think this is good for KU FB you're an idiot. This is exactly what KU doesn't need. I'd respect Gill for yanking his scholly now and giving it to someone who will appreciate it and who deserves it. This kid should never see the field in a Jayhawk uni. If he does, it just goes to show how desperate KU FB really is and what a poor coach Gill really is.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 9 months ago

From the Colorado Staute:

(1) A person commits the crime of assault in the third degree if: (a) The person knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person or with criminal negligence the person causes bodily injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon; or

(b) The person, with intent to infect, injure, harm, harass, annoy, threaten, or alarm another person whom the actor knows or reasonably should know to be a peace officer, a firefighter, or an emergency medical technician, causes such other person to come into contact with blood, seminal fluid, urine, feces, saliva, mucus, vomit, or any toxic, caustic, or hazardous material by any means, including but not limited to throwing, tossing, or expelling such fluid or material.

Based on the facts in the article, it would seem Brock falls under the first portion of the statute. The statute provides for a $50 fine with 6 months imprisonment, an additional $750 fine or both a fine and jail time. I think it's all a little overblown based on what we currently know, but we need to see more facts first. Hope this all clears up and he can move forward.

jartiv 2 years, 9 months ago

Yea we don't know the story behind the "assault." For all we know, the other guy could also be facing "assault" for the same altercation. He's young, seems privileged, and will probably get off on probation.

As far as taking back his scholarship??? How many full scholarship athletes have we let wear this uniform that also faced legal trouble? Are you kidding me? This sounds like Brock is fitting in as a Jayhawk.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 9 months ago

Gives new meaning to dual threat QB

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 9 months ago

this definitely changes things. and the LJW again does us a disservice by not printing the full story. when did this incident occur? when is the next proceeding? it sounds like it could be a quick fix, but who knows? every jurisdiction is different.

I just can't wait until the first practice and Mr. Berglund is there doing drills. and then we can talk about football.

IrishDaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

should fit right in at ku athletics..................

jhox 2 years, 9 months ago

Let's just hope he doesn't get some CU grad judge who is ticked off that he decommitted from Colorado.

JHWKDW 2 years, 9 months ago

Im with alot of people here you mess and harass a guys girlfriend you going to get your butt whooped plain and simple!Nothing Illegal about this for the prosecutor to file assault charges is ridiculous!Yeah we are nation of wussies if they press charges on this!Brock Id shake your hand you did a damn good job defending your girlfriend man!

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 9 months ago

Ya'll need to lay off the guy. If somebody harrasses my girlfriend they're gonna get a freaking fist in their mouth too.

It will be interesting if Gil punishes him. My guess is if Gil thinks he's a stand up guy with good character...Gil will let this go with just a one on one heart to heart...especially since he's hasn't really been with the team much.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't mean to be the wet blanket here, but...

As it sounds, I really don't have a problem with what he did... you harass a dude's girl, you get the fist. End of Story. However, why does he need to be in Colorado? To sit there twiddling his thumbs until he appears in court? I don't think 3rd degree assault means you can't leave the state.... I guess I just don't understand why he has to miss practices by what has been reported thus far.

That being said, I don't know the whole story, so I certainly reserve judgment.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 9 months ago

Remember back in the day when throwing a punch was just....throwing a punch? Heck, I've seen worse on the playground when I was a kid.

I wasn't there so I really can't say how bad the incident was, but "third degree assault" makes it sound a lot worse than it likely was.

We are a nation of litigious wimps. Whatever happened to getting into a scrum here and there? Can't a guy throw a punch once or twice in his life without having to go to court?

It's not like being Aqib Talib and having a gun involved, sheesh....

Scott Smetana 2 years, 9 months ago

I live next to Douglas County... they are notorious out here for being extremely harsh. Never get caught speeding in between Colorado Springs and Denver... they like to find several violations and charge you over $500. I hope Brock doesn't have too much trouble for something likely so silly.

When I played FB at KU under Mason, many of us didn't even stay around to work out AFTER our freshmen years. Very few worked out with the team before Fall camp. (maybe that's why we were only average:) This kid deserves a huge second chance.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

Even if the kid is convicted, I say give him a pass on this one. So long as it remains an isolated incident, I have no problem with him representing my alma mater on the gridiron.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Tebow

Vick

Manning

Wait

For

It

Tyson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lance Cheney 2 years, 9 months ago

ahpea- where in the article does it say that this happened in June?

jksport 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt Tait > Keegan, just not larger

beardwater7 2 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if the other guy was on the high school basketball team??

kennethterry92 2 years, 9 months ago

Hope Brock can take care of legal stuff and report to campus on time

troutsee 2 years, 9 months ago

Big deal.

Gill is handling this correctly.

This means nothing until all the facts come out.

It is utterly stupid to make a mountain out of this.

rockchalkjjjhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Seems like a normal part of the game now. All sorts of folks who like to cause a stir. Find one and head to an opponent's Big12 college town, find out where the main athletes hang out and start coming on to the star up and coming star player's girlfriend. Such an easy way to keep status quo.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 9 months ago

An 18 year old kid throws a punch defending his girlfriend. That is something that has never happened before. (Sarcasm font) Sounds to me like this kid's got some pride, some chivalry and some fire in the belly, something we need at KU. I don't get why people are acting like this is something it's not. Has anyone here never thrown a punch before in their lives? I mean, I'm not advocating it, but come on, we're human beings. Stuff like this happens. It's not like he was out getting wasted and beating his girlfriend. If throwing a punch in defense of his girlfriend is the worst thing this kid has done, he's probably in the top 5% of responsible teenagers in the country! I'm reading some of these comments and I'm thinking "seriously people?" There are players who've gone through the ranks of college football and are now playing in the NFL, who should be more seasoned and responsible, doing things a billion times worse than this. There are players at other colleges who have done things a billion times worse than this, and yet nobody cares. But this kid throws a punch, not lands a punch mind you, but throws a punch, and people act like the sky is falling. Next thing you're going to say is that they should take tackling out of football because it's too violent.

fromthatstandpoint 2 years, 9 months ago

Would you rather have a player that throws a punch to defend his GF or drags her down the stairs by her hair?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

The incident happened in late June. So this does nothing to explain where he was all spring and early summer.

rob4lb 2 years, 9 months ago

We obviously do not have all of the details, but a pattern of immaturity seems to be emerging. If he is really serious about being a Jayhawk, he would be better off redshirting this year.

irish2255 2 years, 9 months ago

God Bless him for defending his girlfriend. Who wants a coward leading a football team? I can only imagine the type of people putting him down for this. They are the people wondering why they've spent their life getting walked on.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

I think the important question is whether or not he used his throwing arm...

FreshAirFanatic 2 years, 9 months ago

Why is this a bad thing? Raise your hand if you want a quarterback who lets someone else assault his girlfriend. Or anyone for that matter.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 9 months ago

This kid's got some baggage that KU doesn't really need right now. Why did Turner Gill even recruit him in the first place?

Janet Scott 2 years, 9 months ago

Has been charged, not convicted. What's the big deal?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, he did say he had a little Mike Vick in him. I just wish it was more towards the football side, not the slammer side.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Alcohol wasn't involved but maybe Brock was drinking some of my cough syrup that "l" always talks about!!!

chalky 2 years, 9 months ago

They are still very young Men. There is alot of time to get things back on track. We hope things come together for you Brock. Good luck with everything.

roosey 2 years, 9 months ago

I believe Keegan owes this kid a HUGE apology right about now. Unless he thinks defending his girlfriend is a bad reason to miss out on voluntary workouts.