Southern Mississippi defeats Kansas, 31-16

• 7 p.m., Sept. 17, 2010
  • M.M. Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, MS

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Southern hostility: Jayhawks struggle on road

Kansas running back James Sims walks off the field as Southern Miss defensive back Chico Hunter raises his arms in victory following the Jayhawks 31-16 loss to the Golden Eagles, Friday, Sept. 17, 2010 at M.M. Roberts Stadium in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

Reader poll

Which unit is most to blame for KU's 31-16 loss to Southern Miss?

• Offense 51% 254 votes
  • Defense 31% 154 votes
  • Special Teams 17% 86 votes

494 total votes.

KU fans weigh in on football team

Students on the KU campus weighed in on the current status of the KU football team. The Jayhawks lost to Southern Mississippi on national television Friday night.

— Most folks in the South are known for their Southern hospitality.

But there was nothing kind about the way with which Southern Miss welcomed the Kansas University football team to Carlisle-Faulkner Field on Friday night during the Golden Eagles’ 31-16 victory.

If anything, it was the Jayhawks who were too kind in allowing Southern Miss to build an early two-touchdown lead that was never seriously threatened.

“We got a lot of young guys that are playing,” senior cornerback Chris Harris said. “With experience, it’ll get better, and (they’ll) understand that you gotta come out with energy every game because the other team wants it.”

For much of the first half, the Jayhawks looked like a young team playing its first road game of the season under a first-year head coach.

Offensive plays were conservative and sometimes slow getting to the huddle, and defensive players looked sheepish and out of sync.

“Maybe that’s a reason,” KU coach Turner Gill said. “But, again, execution is the bottom line. And we gotta do a better job. You can say they’re young or inexperienced, but we gotta go out and play, and we gotta execute.”

KU fell behind, 7-0, on the Eagles’ first drive. While the Jayhawks’ offense struggled to move the ball consistently — largely because a porous offensive line provided little protection for quarterback Jordan Webb — the defense did its best to keep KU in the game.

An interception by KU safety Phillip Strozier on a woefully underthrown ball from USM wide receiver Ryan Balentine saved what looked to be a sure touchdown. The trick play was the second of the first quarter for the Eagles, who scored their opening TD on a halfback pass from V.J. Floyd.

KU also avoided disaster when a pass from Webb was tipped at the line of scrimmage on the drive following Strozier’s interception. Instead of being picked off and returned for a TD, the pass fell softly to Bradley McDougald, and the Jayhawks stayed close.

The biggest blunder of the night came when USM’s Deron Wilson returned Tim Green’s blocked punt seven yards for a touchdown that put the Eagles up 21-3 just before halftime.

“We gotta put points on the board. We gotta finish drives,” Gill said. “We gotta put consecutive drives together to make sure we keep our defense off the field, especially against this type of offense.”

Despite watching Southern Miss score four touchdowns through the first three quarters, the Jayhawks dominated time of possession, holding the ball for nearly eight minutes longer than the Eagles and running nine more plays. What’s more, Kansas, which trailed by at least two scores for most of the night, ran 44 rushing plays while attempting just 26 passes.

“We just wanted to mix it up,” Gill said. “We thought that was the best thing to do. I thought we had some opportunities.”

Though things seemed to be out of reach, the Eagles stamped the unofficial seal of victory when senior defensive back Chico Hunter sacked Webb from behind with 10 minutes to play as the Jayhawks, who trailed 28-10 at the time, went for a fourth-and-three conversion from the USM 30-yard line.

Webb was sacked four times. He was knocked to the ground and forced to flee the pocket several others.

One of the most curious things about the sack was not the play call or that the O-line failed to protect Webb, but the fact that the call came in slowly, and the Jayhawks, who lined up in a power rushing formation, seemed frenzied to get the snap off despite having a timeout remaining.

That was sort of the theme of the night. Other than an inspiring start to the second half, in which KU scored on a fourth-down run from Deshaun Sands and stopped Southern Miss three-and-out on its first two drives, the Jayhawks were flat, out of sync and overmatched.

“We played a good team,” safety Olaitan Oguntodu said. “But we were there. Sometimes you just gotta make plays. That’s just what it boils down to.”

Added Webb when asked about the mind-set of the team after the game: “We just lost a football game. You can’t really be too happy right now.”

There were a few positives. Though Webb struggled in the pocket most of the night, he did enough with his feet to keep plays alive and demonstrated toughness and a fighter’s spirit.

In addition, freshman tailback James Sims passed his second audition to become the Jayhawks’ featured back, gaining 74 yards on 20 carries, most of which went between the tackles.

Despite his solid night, Sims was more concerned with his team’s failure to show up from the start than his own numbers.

“I was surprised,” Sims said. “Coming off that (Georgia Tech) win, that’s not how you’re supposed to play.”

Comments

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

texas tech is tied with texas and it's almost halftime. good thing we didn't hire tuberville

steamboat 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah I don't know, this year will definitely be an up and down year. Probably more downs than ups. It's hard to win on the road period. I hope TG and his staff can get some recruits to buy into his style. Boy when the Big 12 becomes 10 teams and we have Texas OU Tech and A&M every year Gill is gonna feel like he's looking down a double-barrel shotgun!!! OUCH. I hope he can get through it. We'll see ROCK CHALK

kualuminohio 3 years, 7 months ago

Looking at the schedule, by the time we get to A&M we are going to be fairly coehisive and more competitive I think we could easily go 7 and 5 and get to a bowl game, we may even do better than that. Jayhawks lets get upbeat, stop being fools complaining and believe in our team.

kualuminohio 3 years, 7 months ago

The coaching staff is clearly getting there bearings with the teams talent, the fact is we are going to lose games. I relished in the win against GT, it was exciting. But to get all bent out of shape over a game we attempted to be competitive in is ridiculous. Jayhawks should be happy with where the team is at, it could be worse allot worse.

Was it me or was the game friday night poorly refed, there were so many times I thought holding would be called on SMU. The Jayhawks got the raw end for sure. The announcers were horrible, Go ESPN whoooo, pathetic.

Good luck against NMS, Baylor and Kansas State these are games we can win if we are competitive. Go Jayhawks...

troutsee 3 years, 7 months ago

Cat is right. Give him a chance for heaven's sake.

I know it is all part of the game but you take away the blocked punt, the long run, and the non-called fumble out of the end zone and its a down to the wire game. I thought we played well along the line of scrimmage.

Sims is the real deal. Webb is a gutty performer, although he did make a couple of potential pick-6 throws.

I was disappointed of our pass defense, particularly with our inability to cover the bubble screens better.

Special teams need a lot of work. McDougal looks too tentative on kick-off returns.

Even though the blocked punts have been due to missed assignments, Rojas is a long strider and takes too long to get his punts off. If I were coaching special teams, I would line him up 17 yards back instead of 15 yards.

Overall, I was proud of our play along the line of scimmage on both sides of the ball and impressed by Gill's fourth down calls.

CatsEatBirds 3 years, 7 months ago

Worst fans ever?

How can you judge a coach when there hasn't even been time for the kids to buy into the system yet?

Bawk bawk.

hailtoku 3 years, 7 months ago

So can we fire this clown yet? Or is everyone still in the, "but he's a good guy" phase?

Maybe I'll make a stronger push for his termination once we lose 7-8 more games.

khummel60 3 years, 7 months ago

The worst thing about last nights loss is that now all the naysayers will start talking their trash again about how Gill can't coach and we should have never fired Mangino. These folks conveniently forget how bad we were last season with their favorite coach. I was at that Southern Miss game last year, and we were very lucky to win that one. Southern Miss has a very good team, and if we hadn't committed so many rookie mistakes we would have been in last night's game. I see a very young team that is learning, that was rattled by a very loud stadium, and that didn't match the intensity of Southern Miss. All of that is understandable in my opinion, particularly when your operating on a short week after a huge emotional win. I think last nights game initiated some of these kids in what a big-time atmosphere is like, and how difficult it is to win away in Div-I. It's a process, and we need to be patient and let it play out. I see improvement in many areas, and reasons to be hopeful, and I believe we will surprise some folks by the end of the year.

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

g tech beat unc today. now do you want to admit that they overlooked/under prepared for us last week?

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 7 months ago

I am amused everyone is talking about how Gill isn't coaching right. A week ago everyone praised how well things went and the week before I read how he couldn't coach. So when we win he can coach and when we lose he can't? This is a team that is still learning about itself. Let's face it, Toben is staying at LB so we might as well forget talking about him playing RB again this season.

We are depending on quite a bit of youth on the offense and it is showing. The defense is just not fast enough and you can't teach speed. We have started to play freshman like Keeston Terry on defense to make plays. The true test is improvement throughout the season and finishing strong. Do I want to see us make it to a bowl game? Heck yes and I do think it is still possible.

When the season began I picked us to go 2-2 during the nonconference schedule and it is still possible. The Big 12 has winnable games and we have one more game to fix issues so we can be prepared for the conference schedule.

Have patience and stay supportive. If we really thought things were going to be a lot easier just because we won against GT we were kidding ourselves. I saw things I liked last night and saw things I didn't. That is how it will be for the whole season for all of us. Don't create expectations that are too high or too low. This team will not collapse like last year because we will grow as the year continues and we will become stronger and more united to succeed. Let's make sure our fans do the same.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 7 months ago

I think it was really difficult with the short week and all the energy that last weeks game, especially emotionally, took out of us. I also believe So. Miss is a very good team, underestimated by many. Glad to see that we came out in the second half and got some momentum for awhile. Am worried about our special teams though, especially that punt team. Blocked punt for a td, that was a big boost for them. Then we kicked it out of bounds and give them the ball on the 40? Without those two big mistakes it would have been close.

caribhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

S. Miss may very well be a good team, but lets not prematurely give them credit because they beat a terrible KU team. The win against GT is beginning to look like the anomoly, the "real" Hawks played again last night. The coaching was horrid! Vanilla play calling, burned timeouts because the offense/defense calls never came in time, calling timeouts and then bungling the next play, another blocked punt, trying to turn KU into a "running" team out of the shotgun formation, ugh, I better stop there. What is the purpose of running a hurry up spread offense on 1st and 2nd downs, when you operate out of the same formations, make predictable calls, and mostly run the football. The hurry up spread offense is supposed to be an advantage because the defense does not have time to get players on the field to match up with the offensive sets. But when you run the ball on 1st and 2nd down much of the time like the Hawks the hurry up offense is predictable and the defense really doesn't need to change its line-up or sets - - so there really is not any benefit to the hurry up offense (in fact, KU burns a lot of timeouts because it cannot get play onto the field in time, so its a disadvantage). Gill wants to be as much of the opposite of Mangino's teams just to be the opposite, not because its the right decision. He wants KU to run the ball and be vanilla Nebraska with white pants and white shirts (vanilla!). Gill claims the shotgun is what KU does best, after shifting to this after the ND State game and beating GT, and I agree. But to get in the shotgun and then just run the ball on predictable 1st and 2nd down makes no sense. The shotgun is designed for "pass" first offenses. Gill, go back to X and O's Class 101. Its clear that Gill does not trust Webb to throw the ball down the field, just admit it and get it out there. I'm sick of seeing flares thrown out to the wide receivers with man coverage lined up 2 yards off the line of scrimmage, this makes no sense. KU's strength is its wide receivers and we don't use them effectively. I have not seen hardly any "slant" passes (maybe none). I understand Webb cannot throw the ball down the field accurately for 30 + yards yet, but why not just a 10 yard slant! Finally, after the game, players again said they had no energy for this game, the same was said after the NDS game...thats 2 out of 3 games the players said they came with no energy! Who's fault is that, you have a coach who doesn't exhibit much excitement or emotion so the Hawks just seem to be going through the motions. I feel bad for the players because I just don't think their strengths are being best utilized. KU will never be a powerhouse team, so good coaching is especially important and can give them a big lift and advantage (see Mangino and Warinner), but Gill and folks have not really exhibited any unique or strong coaching characterists that give KU an edge over other teams.

jhawk314 3 years, 7 months ago

i just hope ku game win 6 games and a bowl game...

eastcoasthawk 3 years, 7 months ago

This is what concerns me.

We did just that through 3 quarters. We owned time of possession. We lost this game by 15 points which amounts to 2 bad plays. The 49 yard TD run in which Kande took a horrible angle and didn't have the speed to make up for it and the blocked punt. So in my eyes we lost this game on two plays and Turner is concerned about the offensive possession which we were winning?

Moving beyond my concern, I agree with Turner in that there are a lot of things to be improved and to me the most important one right now is special teams. Our special teams are not special in any way. If they were special we would have beat NDSU (missed FG's) and could have won last night if we had stayed one score from USM. That would have allowed for different play calls instead of some of the desparate ones we saw in the 4th qtr. I know.... coulda, woulda, shoulda. Just my .02

CatsEatBirds 3 years, 7 months ago

Biere played well with some nice catches. Hard to believe it's the same player from game one.

I don't see why so many baby jays are bashing on Webb. He didn't lose that game. The one-hopper he threw he was under pressure and running. He made many great moves with his feet and some very good throws. And he showed he's tough by taking it in the chops many times and getting right back up and making a play. Protect that kid and he'll make the throws, but can't do it by himself.

Fault seems to lie with coaching or too many players not yet bought into the system: side effect of coach turnover.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 7 months ago

Wow, last week everyone was happy, but we lose and everyone is freaking out again. Let's face it, we are an average team with a new system that will take time to get it right.

We have some nice talent, but most of the guys we have involved are not juniors and seniors which means mistakes are going to be made. Last night proved on defense we are not fast enough yet and that maybe part of recruiting or youth that isn't on the right page yet. Both of those things take time. There is going to be a learning curve the whole season.

On offense we have to find out who we are. Webb is a nice QB who is starting his second game and this one was on the road. He is going to have some growing pains. We have a good TE in Biere but we need to get all of our WR's involved which from what I have seen will take time for Webb to see the field since he is still new. The running game is inconsistent, but I am seeing some nice things from it. I would love to see Bourbon play because he is a big physical back.

Overall, I am looking at both the positives and negatives from each week. This year will be a growing process and I believed all along we are a 6-6 team which would get us bowl eligible. As long as we can learn each week and get better throughout the season this can be a good season. We knew this season would be a roller coaster so make the most of the ride and relax. It's a good day to be a Jayhawk!

CatsEatBirds 3 years, 7 months ago

South Carolina may turn out to be a pretty good team, and Southern Miss, too. So. Miss certainly has excellent athletes, a good scheme, and some coaching. Sadly other Big XII teams would have lost to the Golden Eagles last night. It's the NDSU loss that really indicates where ku is starting from.

How could Springer be SO good vs. GT, and not show at all last night? Was that on him or on the defensive scheme? He absolutely owned GT.

Maybe after the Big XII disbands, Conference USA will add some leftover Big XII teams.

truefan 3 years, 7 months ago

I just don't understand this team. Last week we looked so well coached and this week we looked like we did against NDSU. I knew we were going to have ups and downs with young players at our skill positions, but I don't want to see inconsistency from our coaching staff. We went back to calling time outs to save delay of game penalties because we ditched the fast paced style that won the game for us last week. It just doesn't make sense. Right now I'm seeing more growing pains from the coaches than the players. If we can get a win against New Mexico State we will still be on track for my pre-season prediction of 2-2 non con and 3-5 Big XII but I just don't know why we look so lost at times.

This is what I want to see next week. 1.) No delay of game penalties or time outs to avoid said penalties..again 2.) No blocked punts or missed extra points 3.) Some sort of downfield passing so teams don't stack the box 4.) I want to see the attacking defense that I heard about in the preseason, for intance no 15 yard cushion by the corners, let's see some press 5.) A victory.

bearhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Four of web's passes were in the hands of Southern Miss.defense. Three clearly should have been ints.then he had a knock down pass at the line of scrimmage and a fumble which was on him from his center luckily recovered by KU. This is a conference USA team that was whooped by South Carolina. USM is not a good team. Still believe Pick got shaffed by Coach Gill big time for his coaching inabilities in game one. Give Pick another chance.

ShockHawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

63Jayhawk - A staff can recruit, recruit, and recruit some more, but they still need to be able to coach these players. In KU's two ugly losses I have seen little evidence of coaching coming from HCTG. Being prepared week in and week out is the coaching staff's biggest responsibility, and they have failed two out of the first three weeks. Elite players can make a big difference, but they need coaching too. Just sayin...

63Jayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Gill and his staff WILL build this team into the successful one The University of Kansas wants and deserves. Remember, this team Imploded the last seven games of last year. It will take time. There is a reason why Gill and his staff have recruited so many offensive lineman for next year. I, for one, am willing to give Gill a chance to build the kind of team he envisions.

grandpa 3 years, 7 months ago

The blocked punts need correcting. We have some very poor punt blockers in there. I could be wrong but I think our punter is taking too long to hit the ball with his foot. Gill needs to put the clock on the time the ball touches his hand until he hits it with his foot. I think he is slower by one second compared to other kickers. If that is true, this could be part of the problem. In any event, something needs to be corrected.

ShockHawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

Did anyone else notice that when the cameras were on Gill last night he was expressionless, there was not a single player or coach around him, and he never said a single word. What responsibilities does HCTG actually have? By all accounts he was doing no coaching last night. Again, the Hawks looked under prepared and disorganized. Webb looked like a scared freshman quarterback running for his life play after play. James Simms was only getting carries between the tackles and he fought for every yard he got. All of this falls on the coaching staff. I want to believe in HCTG, but I'm starting to believe he is in over his head. His calm and cool manner on the sideline looks like disinterest. I must come from the old school of coaching, but when your team is performing poorly I want my head coach chewing some butts! Get involved and do some coaching!

BTW... Pick is the better option at QB, better runner and passer. Gill pulled the trigger on Pick WAY too early. He never gave the kid a chance to succeed. The NDSU game was a disaster. The OL played poorly and the coaching was terrible. With all of these things working against him, I'd say he played pretty well. He should be QB1. This is just another instance of Gill and his staff missing the mark.

DaNeille Davis 3 years, 7 months ago

Put their frickin names on their jerseys so we know who's who! what are you trying to prove? the jerseys look ridiculous with the jayhawk on back. not only an embarrassing loss on espn, an embarrassing look on the jerseys without names.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 7 months ago

Gosh, we loss again. I want you guys to play better next time. Enough from no clue Gill. What does it take from the state of Kansas to relize that Gill is not a coach? Did you see him on the side lines looking like he wasn't even in the game. Looking like a loss pup. Well, I guess he was. Where was Opurum one of the best running backs from last year? Did he leave with all the 4* players that left the team when Gill was hired? Well, one thing we can expect to have a good team in Kansas and that will be Kansas State to save our state. Gill has to goooooo. He should not have been hired in the first place. He was over looked by Auburn now, what does that tell ya? The players were out there with no fire, no emotion by the way, was what Gill showed. Fire Gill and hire a coach.

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

as always, anyone going to man up and admit they were wrong, , ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBj5dy...

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

guess how annoying it is watching a ku game with you kid when he is saying "what's his name dad" i just said "his name is jayhawk"

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

based on the comments today ku football is in a ton of trouble. looks like people are starting not to care

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

maybe wearing all white in the deep south is not the best idea

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

for making such a bid deal of "the rock" it was only about 70% full

mulaza 3 years, 7 months ago

anyone notice that southern miss played the game like we did under a former coach. exciting, fast paced, wide open. if your not going to have the best athletes in the country coming to your school you have to have a offensive scheme that keeps the other team guessing. running the ball 44 times is not that scheme.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 7 months ago

Get me off this roller coaster!

Gregg 3 years, 7 months ago

They are young and it showed big time. That said however in the blocked punt play I would have been screaming; "They are all coming - WAKE UP!"

Better yet, when they line up the whole rabid team, let the kicker toss it over everyone's head to that big tight end of ours - ahh hindsight. There is no way that rusher should have gotten through so easily. I would really like to see the film of that play. Lastly, where was Toben Opurum?

But I'll take solace today watching Alabama (whom I don't care much for) cremate Puke (whom I hate with passion).

kuhawks28 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't comment much, but I'll throw in my two cents:

The WR Screen will only work so many times. I don't like how this and the shotgun draw play are becomming our bread and butter plays. Those are plays that when they work, they work, and when they don't, you seem to lose 5-7 yards.

Whoever the kids were on special teams who were there to block for the punter should be sat down. I don't know where they learned to block, but it was awful.

I know it will take some time. But, I still believe there's a decent amount of talent on that squad. I agree with Coach when he says it's execution, but part of that comes back to preparation. I thought we looked flat, tired and unprepared. We have to be ready to play on gameday regardless of the weather or location.

That's all from me. Time to put it behind us and get ready for NMSU!

tis4tim 3 years, 7 months ago

Run: 44 Pass: 26

Keep mixing.

One of the most aggravating things to watch is when a team, down my two or more touchdowns, keeps the ball on the ground doing the same stuff because the coach doesn't want to "deviate from the game plan" or because he wants to "establish the run". At some point, the kid gloves need to come off and you've got to turn Webb loose. Seems like being down two TDs late third/early fourth quarter would be the time to do that.

The second most aggravating thing to watch is when that same team runs between the tackles and gains good yardage until it's a 3rd and 1, and then runs a toss sweep outside against an opponent that is much faster. To give credit, we did score on a 4th down mis-direction play up the middle immediately after that.

Those two things are frustrating - if the team comes to play. Much of the game we looked like we didn't come to play; we looked lifeless, listless and unprepared.

So. Miss is a good team, and credit has to go to them. They kept us off-balance all night and made some big plays, the blocked punt for a TD being the killer. But, I didn't see much of the fire that we had for that GT game last week in any of our players, aside from a little bit of life early in the second half when we got more physical with them. That's the point we started to grab the momentum. I'd like to see more of that earlier in the game next week.

One last thing: Was that goalline fumble by the So. Miss receiver not reviewable because the player was ruled out of bounds? I'm still trying to figure out why that play was not reviewed. It seemed as if it should have been ruled a touchback.

CatsEatBirds 3 years, 7 months ago

To Steveyea: Thank you little baby Jesus and Daniel and Joseph and Mary and John and Paul and Coach Gill for your undying faith in the Lord, and playing in His name to deliver us this impressive result. Without your extreme devotion to Him and praise of the Good Book we would look like we should lose to an FCS school. Amen.

randy_schaller20 3 years, 7 months ago

Terran Woolley 3 years, 7 months ago

Have fun with 23k of your best friends at Farmagedon today! Did you ""paint the town purple" last night?

Douche.

CatsEatBirds 3 years, 7 months ago

I am so glad that was on national television. What an awesome game!

I thought that type of punt protection formation was impenetrable....wrong. Wow. I guess if you just stand there and watch the defender come flying in you can still allow a punt block. What an athelete that kid was.

Defensive line was a joke most of the game, too. KU looked like they outwighed the competition by 40 lbs per man but were 40% weaker than the opponent.

Rock chalk Golden Eagles! Bawk bawk.

GreyHawker 3 years, 7 months ago

Youth on this team seems to be the coaching staff..........at this point....not that it can't change......our coaching staff are in over their heads......

Terran Woolley 3 years, 7 months ago

One word. Youth. They will get better. Unfortunately, you have to rebuild when a whole new staff and main players emerge. They showed some flashes last night, but were quickly followed by mistakes due to their youth.

No reason to be embarassed by this. USM is a good team, at home. We will learn, and build on this.

RCJHKU!

NH_JHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure if it was a function of the O line not providing much protection or the fact that Webb is so young (probably both) but his throwing accuracy was pretty bad most of the night. I remember 1 play (game was already out of reach) where he actually short hopped the intended receiver (Wilson I think) in the flat. Not gonna win many games when our QB cant even make accurate throws to wide open receivers.

jhwkfan162515 3 years, 7 months ago

The offensive line was soft. It was also infuriating how we were so disorganized that we had to call timeout every two minutes. Does this bring back any flashbacks to ten years ago when Kansas got drilled by Southern Methodist in Dallas?

steamboat 3 years, 7 months ago

Thar So. Miss team was a better team than GT. It would compete well in the Big 12. That defense? WOW. But on the other hand except for a couple possesions KU's defense once again looked unprepared. On offense, Webb was at best ok, we just have a ways to go on offense. Gill will get us there. I'm still excited now. Once again that So. Miss team was tough. ROCK CHALK

Janet Scott 3 years, 7 months ago

Dismal and embarrassing performance. A bucket full of the same old excuses. 1-11, maybe 2-10 for this year.

Oh, did Lew fly down in a private plane, take a stretch limo (with jacuzzi) to/from the airport to the game, and stay at the Four Seasons Hotel in the $500 per night hotel penthouse?

Did Samantha Ryan, KU grad and porn star, receive a free ticket to the game - from the KU Athletic Department? Did she ad"dress" the team after the game?