Monday, September 13, 2010

KU’s Justin Springer named Big 12 defensive player of the week

Kansas linebacker Justin Springer (45) takes Georgia Tech quarterback Joshua Nesbitt off his feet with a hard hit during the second quarter, Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

Kansas senior linebacker Justin Springer was selected as the Big 12's defensive player of the week, the conference announced Monday.

Reader poll

Following KU's victory over No. 15 Georgia Tech, how many games do you think the Jayhawks will win this year?

• 1 1% 19 votes
  • 2 1% 15 votes
  • 3 5% 64 votes
  • 4 17% 225 votes
  • 5 25% 325 votes
  • 6 27% 348 votes
  • 7 15% 194 votes
  • 8 or more 5% 74 votes

1264 total votes.

Springer, a 6-foot-3, 237-pound native of Los Fresnos, Texas, posted a career-high 15 tackles — including three for a loss and one sack — in KU's 28-25 upset over No. 15 Georgia Tech on Saturday.

Through two games, Springer is averaging 11 tackles per contest, which ranks second in the Big 12 and 20th in the nation.

Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones was named Big 12 offensive player of the week, while Texas Tech's Eric Stephens was selected as special teams player of the week.

Comments

Jake Powell 8 years, 1 month ago

Nice job Mr. Springer. Very deserving. You were a man among boys last Saturday. Let's keep it rolling this week & the weeks to follow.

100 8 years, 1 month ago

Nice call... There's no other way to say it:

"A man among boys."

He was absolutely devastating to any plans the Yellowjackets had to advance the ball.

Rivethead 8 years, 1 month ago

Awesome. Congrats Justin....you made us all very proud.

jhawki 8 years, 1 month ago

I said it yesterday, there is no way this guy should not get this award, NICE JOB JUSTIN.

jaydee909 8 years, 1 month ago

Outstanding play by Justin and the entire team. Great job by the coaching staff. Kudos to the fans in the stands on Saturday for their vocal support.

Tribehawk 8 years, 1 month ago

I remember reading the Rivals article when Springer was first recruited. He was a very late addition to the recruiting class that year, if I remember correctly. He was billed as an extremely hard hitter--a guy that loved laying people out. I was really excited when he signed, but I was always kind of disheartened that I never saw him on the field. Part of it was our depth at LB for years, and part of it was injuries, I guess. Anyway, good things come to those who wait. Springer played like a Boss on Saturday. I have a feeling that by the end of the year, Springer will end up being one of my all time favorite grid-iron jayhawks. Right now, Springer is more important to our team than Webb, Patterson, Sims, whoever.

gardenjay 8 years, 1 month ago

What an honor. Good job Justin - a clear leader by example. Needed in life too - KU students are lucky to have you among them on campus.

Our punter should get special teams honors every week - what an unsung hero.

kureader 8 years, 1 month ago

Well deserved recognition for sure. Justin made it look like we had 12 players on the field. He was everywhere.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 1 month ago

Great job, Springer. Loved that time that he sliced between the line beating them on the snap and getting to the QB. Great aggressive play. This is exactly what we were missing from last year's D. If these young men can have that kind of fire in every game we will win more than six games. I am especially looking forward to the kind of fire we have for the MU game.

Kenneth Hillman 8 years, 1 month ago

Great work and congrats Justin. It was fun watching you play on Saturday...keep it up my man!

ConnecticutJayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Justin deserves everything that comes his way this year. He has worked his butt off making himself into a legit NFL type player. I still remember sitting 5 rows off the field when he tore his ACL against K-State. Mangino never even came over to see if he was ok or anything. Really irked me.

Glad to see he is getting what he deserves. So much fun to watch #45!