Originally published November 18, 2010 at 10:39a.m., updated November 18, 2010 at 05:47p.m.

Federal charges filed against five former Kansas Athletics officials accused of stealing tickets from KU

KU's current head of ticket operations resigns just hours before her name is listed in indictment

From left, Ben Kirtland, Kassie Liebsch, Rodney Jones and Charlette Blubaugh have been charged with stealing tickets from KU. Also charged was Tom Blubaugh, who is not pictured.

Feature

KU Ticket Investigation

Four former Kansas Athletics employees and one current employee have been federally charged and two former employees have pleaded guilty in a scandal involving millions of dollars of stolen tickets from the university.

Videos

KU ticket scandal

video thumbnail

Videos dating back to June 2009 related to the ticket scandal at KU.

photo

Kansas Athletics, Inc.

Charlette Blubaugh

photo

Kansas Athletics, Inc.

Ben Kirtland

photo

Kansas Athletics, Inc.

Rodney Jones

photo

Kansas Athletics, Inc.

Kassie Liebsch

The director of ticket operations resigned Thursday morning from Kansas Athletics Inc. as a grand jury indicted her and four others for their roles in an alleged ticket scam prosecutors say cost the department up to $5 million during the past five years.

Kassie Liebsch is among those facing a charge of conspiracy after a grand jury in Topeka reviewed evidence from an ongoing federal probe addressing the diversion, theft and resale of tickets the university already has said involved more than 17,000 tickets for men’s basketball and more than 2,000 tickets for football.

The other four people charged — Charlette Blubaugh, former director of ticket operations, and her husband Tom Blubaugh, a former paid consultant; along with Rodney Jones, a former assistant athletics director in charge of the Williams Educational Fund, and his boss Ben Kirtland, former associate athletics director for development — already had been implicated in an earlier investigation led by Kansas University. The department severed its arrangement with Tom Blubaugh, and the others all resigned.

Liebsch, however, had not been identified in the KU report as being involved in the alleged scheme. In fact, she had been elevated to run ticket operations, and her efforts had been cited as helping identify others’ involvement.

But KU’s hired investigators didn’t have the ability to issue subpoenas or otherwise compel people to talk — or to prompt anyone to disclose information about what actually had been happening as federal authorities looked into allegations of people diverting tickets, channeling them to brokers and pocketing proceeds, said Jack Focht, the lead investigator for a Wichita law firm hired to conduct KU’s review.

“Her resignation speaks loudly about her involvement,” Focht said Thursday.

Focht said that during his investigation, he’d asked Liebsch and her counsel whether Liebsch had done “anything that would be indictable.”

The answer, Focht said, was no. No other principals or attorneys interviewed at that time had made such a similar claim.

“It disappoints me that she was still there if she knew, and her attorney knew, that she would be indicted,” Focht said, noting that an indictment is not a conviction. “I am surprised (about her indictment), based on what was said to us. We have to assume people tell us the truth, until we learn otherwise.”

Liebsch and her fellow co-defendants are scheduled to make their first appearances at 1:30 p.m. Dec. 8 in U.S. District Court in Wichita, where they will be required to enter pleas of not guilty. If convicted, each would face up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $1 million.

Seeking monetary return

Prosecutors also are seeking to recover $3 million to $5 million from the defendants, the amount for which the five are “jointly and severally liable,” according to the indictment.

“That is the amount of money we believe should be returned,” said Lanny Welch, chief of the criminal division for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Individual attorneys for each of the five defendants declined to comment on the indictment, other than to say they were studying it.

But John Rapp, an attorney for Charlette Blubaugh, did take issue with prosecutors’ description of the money involved.

“I think the amount of loss that this claims is high — erroneously high,” Rapp said. “It’s too high.”

The indictment outlines a “scheme” and “conspiracy” that started in 2005, when Charlette Blubaugh is alleged to have started taking tickets and distributing them to the others for sale to third parties — through individuals and ticket brokers — in violation of university policies.

The indictment alleges that the individuals entered false information into a computer system designed to prevent ticket theft, paid kickbacks to third parties not connected with the ticket office, had checks written to third parties and had checks written by ticket brokers to third parties.

The indictment also alleges that they concealed the receipt of their outside income on reports required by NCAA rules.

Such activities are in the past, KU officials said Thursday, as they sought to assure ticket buyers that they could continue to rely on systems now in place to ensure proper sales and distribution of tickets.

‘Unwavering’ commitment

“With a federal investigation ongoing, we have known that indictments, unfortunately, were a possibility,” KU Interim Athletics Director Sean Lester said in a statement. “We strongly support the U.S. Attorney’s search for the truth in this matter.

“Over the past six months we have implemented measures to strengthen our ticket protocols and make the entire process more transparent. I think our donors appreciate the enhancements we have made in transparency, accountability and the fact that so many of their seating locations have improved. We are unwavering in our continued commitment to our student-athletes, donors and fans.”

KU has hired an internal auditor, Brenda Muirhead, whose $58,000-a-year salary is paid by Kansas Athletics. Muirhead is part of KU’s Department of Internal Audit, which reports to Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little.

“Since we first became aware of the diversion of tickets, Kansas Athletics and the University of Kansas have taken a number of actions to enhance internal controls and accountability,” said Jack Martin, a KU spokesman, in a statement. “A forensic auditor was hired, new controls and restrictions placed on access to the ticketing system, and new transparency regarding seating was provided, among other actions.”

Athletics Director Lew Perkins resigned in September. A search for his replacement is ongoing, with Gray-Little expecting to have a new athletics director chosen by the end of the spring semester.

Now serving as interim director of ticket operations is Nicole Corcoran, who has been Liebsch’s boss as the department’s associate athletics director for administration. She also is chief of staff to Lester, after having been hired into the role by Perkins.

Two other former Kansas Athletics employees, Brandon Simmons and Jason Jeffries, already have pleaded guilty to offenses associated with the alleged tickets scheme and are awaiting sentencing in federal court. They are not named in the indictment.

Jim Cross, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, declined to speculate on the future of the federal investigation, or where it might lead.

“I can’t say who will or won’t get indicted in the future,” Cross said.

Interactive Timeline

KU ticket scandal timeline

View timeline on a new page.

Comments

Ben Kane 8 years, 9 months ago

good. but kuad will never that 3-5 million

Danny Hernandez 8 years, 9 months ago

Good, now the perpetrators of this ticket theft can be brought to justice. Ticket theft can happen to any school but less to schools that don't have a basketball program equal to that of Kansas's.

naturalist 8 years, 9 months ago

:"The defendants seek a monetary judgment of $3 million to $5 million..." The defendants?

Orwell 8 years, 9 months ago

Yeah – as long as you're up, get me one of those judgments too. I deserve it at least as much as the defendants do.

hernandoJHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

How does Kassie Liebsh still have a job at the KU Athletic Department? She basically got promoted to Director of Ticket Operations after all the others got fired. Now we find out that she was involved in this ticket scandal. Unbelievable...

theajayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

And how the hell does an investigative company say " We have to assume people tell us the truth, until we learn otherwise.” You were probably paid hundreds of thousands to make your recommendations based on interviews? Wouldnt you actually look at the records or do a bit more? What were you expecting her to say...I am guilty too? Morons...

swunruh 8 years, 9 months ago

The article says Kassie was "accused." That does not mean she did anything wrong.

milehighhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

No, but she's under federal indictment...which, let's be honest - probably means she did do something wrong.

Ron Franklin 8 years, 9 months ago

that's because us bleeding hearts believe in the contstitution and human rights. assuming somebody is guilty before it's proven is the bulsh**

Ron Franklin 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't care what your felonies were, but don't assume you know about mine.

Geekinout 8 years, 9 months ago

May they get the book! Thou shall not steal from the University of Kansas!!

Ashwin Rao 8 years, 9 months ago

... not on the basketball court, and not off it! :)

TopCityHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Greed - excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions.

kuhoopsfan 8 years, 9 months ago

I posted previously that I suspected more individuals were involved than just those who were named in the initial report and who had subsequently left university employment. I was chastised by some on this board for my opinion.

Now we're told the current Director of Ticket Operations has been accused as well. The Director of Ticket Operations!! (To those who were critical of my previous opinion, your apologies are accepted.)

You can't make stuff like this up. Is this the end, or will there be even more indictments to follow? No telling....

Geekinout 8 years, 9 months ago

Considering the maximum penalties of up to 30 years in federal prison and fines of $1 million per person. David Freeman only received an 18 month prison sentence and was the first to go down. Seems pretty light for a crime that involved millions of dollars. I smell what out on the streets some might call a rat.

FreddyinLA 8 years, 9 months ago

The fine folks staring down the barrel of a 30-year prison sentence will squeal, so more KUAD scalpers will be thrown under the bus.

It’s amazing to me the US Attorney General’s office can throw 30-year prison terms at ticket scalpers but has turned a blind eye to the unbridled fraud committed by the banksters in originating, securitizing, and foreclosing in the mortgage industry.

aerohawk 8 years, 9 months ago

The banks have a lot more money to buy politicians.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 8 years, 9 months ago

If they're found guilty....nail 'em to the wall. Anything that hurts KU deserves maximum penalties.

BigSam 8 years, 9 months ago

FreddyinLA - if they start going to hard after the banks over mortgages, then they have to go after the congressional oversight (including Barney Frank) who turned a blind eye to the issue while those close to them enriched themselves via the process (and there is no doubt this happened with Frank's main man while Barney put up the road block).

As to the ticket issues, with this much time hanging over their heads, some charged will probably turn on somebody else to get a plea. Lew Perkins may be up next one in line.

TXHawk1 8 years, 9 months ago

For those truly interested in mortgage fraud, here is an article on how Washington is planning on legalizing it.

Andrew Fry 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm just super excited that my season tickets and parking pass will improve next season... thanks to Turner Gill / Mark Mangino and the KUAD perpetrators!!!!

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 9 months ago

the Blubaugh couple...this was their first named formal accusation. (and i fgured it would come.) the current director of ticket operations is just that...the current one.

kuhoopsfan, you named no names, and you didn't have enough guts to do so. as i responded originally, you would have to go to Marchiony or Perkins for the real fire...and this doesn't do that.

they are all staff folks, who, as i originally posted, saw a good deal coming...with a lot of money coming in....kickback deals with brokers and third parties....dummy accounts..and they pocketed the difference.

more deals will be struck, as these folks will not do anywhere near multiple years in jail. KU would be happy to get some restitution....with some precedent punishment involved....beyond that, it's overkill.

kuhoopsfan 8 years, 9 months ago

Not enough guts to name names? Really? You're serious, right, and not joking? The only way I would have been able to name names is if I had inside knowledge, which I did not. I did, however, recognize a situation that was bound to end up with more involvement than was originally laid out in the internal investigation.

Now we have another name added to the list of perpetrators. I imagine there will be more coming as well. And, no, I can't name names. (Are you going to accuse me again of not having "enough guts"?)

All that I have is a reading of the facts. This unfortunate situation continued undiscovered for many years (and would still be going on if not for an attempted plea deal in a completely unrelated case). Remember Brandon Simmons comment in the internal investigation: “Other individuals that I worked with were receiving the same or similar benefits,” Simmons said of the extra tickets, in a statement provided to investigators. “Then, as I was there longer, I found it to be pervasive and that Charlette and her supervisor Ben (Kirtland) were involved at significantly higher levels along with Rodney Jones.”

As I said in a previous post, "Pervasive" doesn't sound like just 5 or 6 individuals. I hope my feeling is wrong, but I suspect it's not.

In one of your replies to my previous posts you said "if other names emerge, that have not already been named, then i would be fairly stunned." So, are you stunned now?

Lastly, I don't believe this is overkill as you claim. The estimate of the value of the stolen tickets is now "$3 million to $5 million". Before that it was "up to $3 million". It started out as "at least $1.03 million" in the internal investigation. I don't know if these figures include post-season tickets or just regular season tickets. The value may go higher.

As an alumni and Williams Fund member I will not have any trust in the Athletic Department unless and until everyone involved is rooted out and charged.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 9 months ago

again, you're making my point. You have no knowledge, and are going with this "other individuals were involved" besides the ones listed in the initial KU review. So, where are those "individuals?" Liebisch? i don't believe that you are serious, if you think she is an "others involved." i mean, she is just a staffer, like anyone else. Yes, KU didn't name her originally, but they said coming up with the feds and subpoena power, more folks could be named. i have relatives who have talked to Blubaugh mutliptle times on the phone about their season tickets. these are not, much to your chagrin i guess because you're just another no name blogger who is getting tested because of your worthless posts, big name people who are movers and shakers in the athletic dept.
This a group of folks, because of a fast and loose AD only concerned with big money rolling in, who figured out a way to make a lot of extra money, and no one would get caught. well, when you deal with mud, you're bound to get dirty, and the right guy squealed on them (the Lawrence developer.) My original comment, to your rantings early on, were about the power broker in the AD's office....Perkins, Marchiony, and frankly, any other associate ADs. that's where the "stunned" came from...good grief, not from the likes of another ticket office employee.

and make no mistake, this IS a Perkins scandal....he may not be getting formally charged, but it's his doing...his lack of oversight, his lack of quality control...his people. that's where the real tragedy in all of this is....that he was allowed to stay on, making millions of dollars...and for what? millions in stolen ticket dollars and below avg. all around athletic teams? that's the real scandal.

kuhoopsfan 8 years, 9 months ago

Good thing I'm making your points for you since you appear to only be interested in criticizing mine.

I have no idea where you're going with any of this. One minute you appear, like me, to be upset at the fraud and waste ... However, the next minute you criticize me for saying basically the same thing. Like you, I'm glad the Perkins era is over, and am very happy he's gone. I agree this is Perkins' scandal, as are the damaged alumni relationships and all the other negatives that happened during his "reign". Maybe one of the roads in this investigation will lead to him or his direct staff. I don't know. I personally hope and believe more will be charged, but I won't spread rumors or throw names around simply to look like I've got inside info on the KU Athletic Department. I'll patiently wait for the wheels of justice to slowly turn. Maybe this disappoints you. Again, I'm unsure what point you're trying to make here.

FYI, I do have some inside knowledge on the workings of two D1 athletic departments and their handling of tickets. In those departments a scandal of this size and duration would have required the participation of more than the individuals named to date.

Finally, all I've done is to comment on a story. For some reason, you've felt on two occasions now that you need to take issue with not only the comments, but with me personally. That's fine if that's what makes you happy. However, if you think your comments are "testing" me you're sorely mistaken. In the future I'll know better than to reply to any of your posts...

kureader 8 years, 9 months ago

Apparently, brokering tickets happened throughout the department. It's surprising to me that so many people would get involved in something like this. It's not as though this was a one-time thing. They had to know they'd eventually be caught or that someone would squeal on them.

Now the question is ... who else will be named? And, what will happen to guys outside the athletic department ... like R. Morningstar who may have played some role.

... really unfortunate. Now the entire athletic department looks dirty, alumni are angry and tempted to hold back contributions, and our MU and KStraight neighbors and coworkers are having a field day. And, given the scope of the investigation, this thing could go on for some time ... just what we need right now.

mjioknees 8 years, 9 months ago

If you still think RM had something to do with this your crazy.

kureader 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't think anything. And, I hope you're right. That would be a good thing. It would also make a bunch of previous reports false. Let's hope they were.

Marc Frey 8 years, 9 months ago

It's all fun and games until the IRS gets involved. They (IRS) has no sense of humor and does not like competition. Some CFO up in Milwaukee was convicted of embezzling $34Million from Koss Headphone Co. and will only get 11 years in club fed. So I can not believe these people will get anything more than a slap on the wrist. Then again, Milwaukee has socialist/liberal judges, so who really knows?

Danny Hernandez 8 years, 9 months ago

You ought to try 11 years in camp fed or whatever you call it...It's 11 christmases in prison, 11 birthdays of his family at minimum he'll miss, being told what to do non-stop, sleeping in a room with other guys, eating probably crappy food and having high school educated guards bossing you around.... I doubt camp fed is a cake-walk or else I'd rob a bank or commit some high dollar value crime and get sent there. thanks but no thanks

scholz 8 years, 9 months ago

You could just tell all of the KSU and MU fans that "They wish they could scalp tickets for that much money on their programs.......but can't." KU is a hot comodity and let's face it, KSU and MU don't have it.

stahlin 8 years, 9 months ago

Weird that I didn't see Perkin's name in there

SCHNBALL 8 years, 9 months ago

Aaahh, just posted about this yesterday!! As I stated yesterday, I think this at a minimum has affected the Morning stars and I also believe behind the scenes has also hurt recruiting. If you remember the timeline, the builder first spoke of this last January. With the feds involved, sadly, this is just now starting for not only those named, but those who, if any, have yet to be named. I will go out on a limb here and say I really think this will reach the coaching and quite possibly the player level, too many people already involved, but I sure hope this is not the case.

mjioknees 8 years, 9 months ago

pure opinion. Its sad you dont have any facts to back up your beliefs.

Ron Franklin 8 years, 9 months ago

You are shallow.

I'm not standing up for these thiefs.....but if you are judging people by the way the dress, then you have no soul.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

If somebody can't even find an respectable user name, that person obviously lacks professionalism and couth and shouldn't be criticizing what people wear whether said loser likes button down shirts or not.

Save your GQ links for someone who gives a hoot about your perspective on anything.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

Umm, No. The topic is corruption in the KU Athletics Department. Not button-down collars or button down shirts or anything fashionista related.

While you are correct that I mistakenly stated "shirts" rather than "collars", that isn't a reading comprehension issue. It was a simple error and you know it. Is that the best you've got? Somehow button-down collars are the root cause of this corruption or are emblematic of a character trait that engages in such conduct? If so, you are indeed a simpleton.

What is pathetic is your user name. I've asked you several times to explain why you picked it, yet you never respond. If you've ever been around or known anyone that was subjected to this treatment you wouldn't go anywhere near such a name for yourself-anonymous or otherwise.

So here's your chance hot shot. You've got the floor. Tell everybody out there why you picked the Kansas statutory reference for indecent liberties with a child as a user name. If there is a reasonable basis for picking this user name, let's hear it. Put up or "button" up.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

You are so full of it that it is almost beyond comprehension. I am well aware of what the statute represents and it's purposes as well as what you represent by using it as your loser name. Trying to defend your use of it by alleging I am the one with the problem-particularly after I just pointed out the basis for my objection only illustrates that you are the clueless one with the problem. There is no way anyone could characterize my posts as supporting child molestation. If you wanted to provide a simple justifiable reason for this name all you had to do was post a link to one of your earlier purported "explanantions" rather than offer this lame @$$ BS.

Ooh, I probably wear button-down collars. What an insult. I'm sure you're making friends everywhere with your attack on button-down collars. You probably wear snap underpanties, right? Spider Man or Sponge Bob?

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

Aw shucks, KSA. Don’t get your snap under panties all in a bunch over little old me. While I truly appreciate your primer on grammar, trust me, I do know the difference between a contraction and a possessive. I hope you didn’t lose any sleep researching the intricacies of the English language for me. I will offer you a mea culpa and a resounding shout of “My Bad” in recognition of its obvious reflection on my “inadequate upbringing” as you characterize it.

Your decision to criticize my egregious grammatical error rather than the substance of my post however is the hallmark of one who knows he has lost the debate. Rather than address, defend or explain the apparent indefensible and unexplainable use of a repugnant and offensive user name you evade the issue and instead attempt to make it all about me. Yes, my criticism of your user name can only be explained by my desire to engage in the activity myself. I’m just jealous you thought of it first. And your inspired explanation comes on the heels of my statement above that “If you've ever been around or known anyone that was subjected to this treatment you wouldn't go anywhere near such a name for yourself-anonymous or otherwise. Brilliant deduction Watson.

Here’s a question for you KSA. As you are apparently so enraptured with statutory references, why not use KSA 21-4319 (a), or perhaps KSA 21-36a09 as your loser name? Maybe those just aren’t repugnant enough for you. Oh well, now I’ve gone and wasted another 15 minutes I’ll never get back. I trust I haven’t troubled you with any more grammatical errors.

Bye for now.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps I'm sensitive to particularly heinous crimes and you're not sensitive enough? Ever think of that? It's not the statute itself that offends me, although you should already know that. It's what it represents and the inexplicable use of it as your user name that offends me.

One more time-anyone that has ever been subjected to or around someone subjected to the aberrant behavior this statute addresses would be offended by the use of it as your or anyone's user name. Unless you have some plausible, reasonable basis for this name you've yet to express, it is patently offensive.

Simple enough for you? Somehow I doubt it, but I do have rather enduring faith in human nature and the desire to do the right thing.

Now you might want to consider loosening your collar. It will reinstate the flow of blood to your head thereby enhancing your capacity to think and feel.

You're welcome.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

You are so obviously impaired it doesn't really make sense to try to relate to you in any meaningful way, does it?

The more you try to dig yourself out the deeper you get. Nice thesis you wrote. Too bad it has no basis in reality. Even if everything you said were true, I'd still rather be me than the pathetic whatever you apparently are. You must be very unhappy. It's certainly obvious to anyone reading this string.

BTW, still waiting for your explanation for the loser name. I went through all your posts on kusports.com and there aren't any of the explanations you alluded to above. There were however, a significant number of deleted posts for violating TOS and numerous references to others as "ignorant", "morons", etc. In fact anyone you disagree with becomes the target of your derision-from KU admin to LJW writers and other posters. But I get it. Everyone else is out of step in your narcissistic parade. You know more about anything and everything than any other person. A regular Cliff Clavin of the internet.

Should I waste any more time perusing the ljworld website of your archived comments looking for the nonexistent explanation? Nah, just more waste. Must have been one of your deleted posts, right?

Finally, I hope some day you are able to successfully confront your issues with farms and rural folk. Hopefully they will forgive you for the affronts their animals must have suffered at your hands.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of reading comprehension issues, I note the very links you provide don't even support your premise.

From those links:

" Although American businessmen from the heartland and their boys in Congress believe that the button-down is a dress shirt, it is a casual style. This isn’t to say you can’t wear a tie with one (as old-school East Coast prepsters like William F. Buckley do quite well), but if you do so, skip the suit and opt for a sport coat. Ultimately, it’s not appropriate for weddings, funerals, and arraignments."

" Because of its origin in sports, the button down is the least dressy shirt collar."

"Be sure that the only time they are unbuttoned is when you are putting on your necktie. This collar, particularly on an oxford shirt, can be worn equally well without a tie. That's the great thing about this men's shirt collar - it can go up or down in dressiness."

So let's see now, these are employees of KUAD, a sports and arguably somewhat informal/casual environment, Jones isn't wearing any jacket so a button-down collar is clearly acceptable and you can't tell whether Kirtland is wearing a sport coat or a suit. Hopefully they won't weat such fashion faux pas at their arraignments. It's bound to offend the judge.

Yes, it's all perfectly clear. I'm the one with the reading comprehension issue and you're the one that should be calling out people for their dress apparel. Got it.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

Whatever you say. You're a regular Stevie Cocojaru when it comes to fashion and an expert on perpetuating logical fallacies. While refuting your simplistic drivel is somewhat entertaining, I'm not wasting any more time on it right now.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

Draw whatever conclusions you deem appropriate KSA. That's what you typically do anyway. I never mentioned anything other than he's a fashion "expert" just like you.

As for my internet usage, be advised I post my comments telepathically.

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

You know your paranoia is starting to get the best of you, KSA. If I had cited Mr. Black as an example instead of Cocojaru, would you then accuse me of racism?

bad_dog 8 years, 9 months ago

s/b "Blackwell". I was laughing so hard I forgot the "well'.

Oh "well"...

ku_foaf 8 years, 9 months ago

Go to Jail. Go Directly to Jail. Never trust anyone with huge sums of money without stringent cross checking. This whole thing sounds like the thinking was "Oh, that would never happen here. Everyone is so nice." Ha! It make the administration look very foolish and naive.

ku_foaf 8 years, 9 months ago

Some of these people came from OU, where they had similar jobs. I wonder if they pulled the same thing there.

Chris Corley 8 years, 9 months ago

For those of you keeping score at home: That's FEDERAL charges filed against people accused of stealing college basketball tickets, and a CIVIL trial for a terrorist who ruthlessly murdered hundreds of people in an embassy bombing. Just in case you are interested.

reunionhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

jsmith725...I was thinking the same thing! :)...and it is civilian trial, not civil...BIG difference

Geekinout 8 years, 9 months ago

"I think our donors appreciate the enhancements we have made in transparency, accountability and the fact that so many of their seating locations have improved." Jeez thanks, that makes me feel better after you've stiffed us with nose bleed seating for the past so many years.. oh and while not doing your job and making sure things were being ran ethically. Funny how KU is so ethically P.C. and sensitive to every little thing, yet they fudge something like this up. How does accounting not catch this years ago? Morons!! Maybe this will give Prof Shaftell something to liven up his boring lectures in Acct 101. BOOO I say!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

if we had that 5 mill in the general fund then it would only be 3 more to buyout gill. . .give these people the death penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jahawkdave 8 years, 9 months ago

Why would KU still allow Charlotte to be the model for the hawks new 2011 football helmet???

NorthStarHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Pretty sad that Lew and crew were more obsessed at taking down a T-shirt vendor for losing out on a few thousand dollars someone was "making off" on the Kansas name brand, while their own staff was taking millions out of the till right under his nose. Speaking of a lack of institutional control. Pathetic.

jayhawkintx73 8 years, 9 months ago

I hope they prosecute to the full extent that the law will allow. Maximum sentences.

dynamitehawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I have an idea... Perhaps tickets should be sold by legitimate means. Perhaps.... we could auction a them off to the highest bid. There needs to be a system that allows for high level donors to receive priority - set aside court level seats to the biggest boosters. Otherwise, set a flat rate and outsource the ticket distribution to the highest bid.

The problem here is that we had a combination of unlimited greed and unlimited demand. Transparency is needed in the ticketing process going forward.

Fix it.

P.S. I am having a hard time imagining these folks 'colluding', based on the pictures provided. I honestly could not imagine four completely different looking people.

These folks are the scapegoats.

caribhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Another big black eye for KU! From the prior Focht report, its my understanding that Liebsch was "aware" of the ticket scam but did not participate. I was shocked when she was retained and even promoted, why wouldn't KU just clean house completely to avoid any potential problems. This shows that KU's internal review and Focht's report did have major flaws and probably just scratched the surface. Focht, an attorney, expected Liebsch and her attorney to "admit" that Liebsch was guilty - - did Focht just fall off the turnip truck, how naive can you be for an attorney! I suspect Focht is part of the good ol' boys network at KU, a Williams fund contributor, and long-time KU supporter in good standing who was hired mostly on that basis and paid an exorbitant sum for his basic report. What a joke, KU hired an internal auditor for $58,000! For $58,000, you are either getting an excellent first-year accounting graduate, a middle-run accountant/CPA with 2-3 years experience, or a below average accountant/CPA with 4 or more years experience. Bottom line, at $58,000, KU either got an internal auditor that is very green and inexperienced or someone that is clearly not top of the line in the accounting/CPA field. Even KU's glorified spokesperson Nicole Corcoron (former spokesperson for Gov. Sebelius) makes over $100,000 a year (her job title is described as "overseeing" Lew Perkins schedule), and she does not have the credentials that an internal auditor/CPA should have. KU went very cheap when they hired an internal auditor, you get what you pay for, so this is not really a serious effort by KU to establish proper internal controls and auditing. This is further embarrassment for a so-called institution of higher learning!

rockchalknation 8 years, 9 months ago

Scummers! Throw the book at them....truly pathetic behavior

slowplay 8 years, 9 months ago

With so many hands in the pie, it was certainty that they would get caught. These are truly stupid and ignorant people. Even if Lew is totally innocent in this mess, the fact he hired such low life should be a punishable offense. BTW, I think Charlette, maybe a Charles.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 9 months ago

i consider this old news, but I'm glad some people are getting charged. I'm sure our neighbors will try and use this as ammo, but honestly as long as it isn't a violation made by any of the teams or the coaches, I won't really care.

We've been working on cleaning house for almost a year now.... Get rid of em and lets move on.

This is college sports; there is just as much money under the table as there is on it... At least we have a program valuable enough that people want to exploit it...

Fruity22 8 years, 9 months ago

Say what you want about the Athletics Dept but there is one thing you can't accuse them of. They don't hire anybody based on their good looks. I think this Charlette guy is the dirtiest of them all. He just looks a little too squirrely for my liking.