Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Keegan

Josh Selby gives Tyrel Reed a boost

Nothing in a game played at such a fast pace with five parts moving in scripted symmetry and five others trying to disrupt those movements is ever as simple as it seems, but on the surface, it appears nobody will benefit from the addition of freshman Josh Selby more than senior Tyrel Reed.

Videos

Self, players discuss holiday break

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self and players Tyrel Reed, Josh Selby and Marcus Morris discuss their holiday break.

Selby has the potential to quickly become the Kansas University basketball team’s best penetrator, and Reed is the best pure long-range shooter.

Maybe it’s just a coincidence that Reed set career highs in points (18) and rebounds (seven) in his second game playing alongside Selby, against California, but it didn’t seem that way. They looked to be a pair of guards already showing strong chemistry.

“I just know what Tyrel likes to do,” Selby said. “He likes to shoot from the corner. I drive and I know if I kick it out to him, he’ll knock it down.”

Selby’s arrival has made Reed a better player.

“I think it’s going to help everybody, including myself,” Reed said. “He can get in there and he’s a great passer as well. A lot like Sherron (Collins), he can penetrate and pitch to all the different guards. I think Tyshawn (Taylor) can do that as well, so we have a lot of different weapons.”

Selby seemed to know where Reed was going to be when. That’s not by accident.

“We work on a ton of different things every day, when a guy penetrates, where we need to be,” Reed said. “When a guy drives baseline, we’ve got to get to the corner. It’s just all about angles and staying in their vision. (Assistant) coach (Joe) Dooley is really good at working with us on that. It just comes down to our guards having vision and finding you in open spots.”

Reed has developed into more than just a spot-up shooter. His relentless drives to the hoop in victories against Arizona and Cal — two of the four Pac-10 teams KU has beaten — were nowhere to be found in previous seasons.

“That was a big part of my game in high school,” Reed said. “I wasn’t just shooting every time I caught it on the three-point line. Coach Self wants me to shoot when I’m open and I want to be aggressive, make plays at the rim, drive and make plays for my teammates as well.”

He’s even rebounding, taking advantage of his exceptional leaping ability, which tends to be overlooked because it’s not matched with similar lateral quickness.

“I definitely need to hit my man and go get the ball,” Reed said of what it will take to continue his recent trend toward rebounding better. “I think that’s probably what I wasn’t doing. I was probably just boxing out my man, making sure he wouldn’t get the rebound, and I wouldn’t go and get the ball.”

Reed played 35 minutes against Cal, but with Selby on board, Reed’s minutes could decline, to which he says big deal.

“There are going to be less minutes and guys will get fresher legs,” Reed said. “I definitely think for shooters and scorers, that helps. You have to look at it like it’s a good thing and not like someone is taking away minutes.”

Typically positive attitude from a guy who’s had an increasingly positive impact on the program since the day he signed up.

Comments

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

I noticed this a lot lately. With so much emphasis on Selby, when he drives to the hoop, that leaves Tyrel so open. All Tyrel has to do is wait for the pass, make sure his feet are set and focus on the front of the rim. Money in the bank, baby! We'll see a lot of this, for sure.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Oxcaljayhawk, I totally agree with you on Brady, He is a flop from the start. Seems like he can't shot a free throw, like he did back some time ago when he gettting ready to shot and the ball comes out of his hands, ESPN just had a clip of that shot on tv the other day as one of the most stupidest shot of the year. He sure is anything like his dad (Roger) when he played here. Roger played here two years (1973-74 approx.) where he averaged about 9-12 points per game as I recall. A far cry from what his son is doing.

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

Geez, you mean it helps when someone penetrates then kicks it out to a 3pt shooter. Who'd thunk it. That's been one of my major gripes against playing Brady all along. What's the point of playing a non-scoring guard who can't put the ball on the floor and make something happen for his team mates.

As for Reed, he really has improved vastly, beginning with end of last year when he started to get more aggressive on offense.

Mark Wooden 3 years, 3 months ago

If a title comes to KU this season it will be because of Tyrel Reed.

justanotherfan 3 years, 3 months ago

A shooter like Reed can't help but benefit from Selby's slashing ability.

As for whether teams will start taking away Selby's jumper - I doubt it.

Selby came into college as a great slasher. Teams knew that, and have played him accordingly, closing out expecting the drive, and making a wall around the rim. He has countered that by shooting extremely well from three. If teams start closing out on him to shoot, he will start getting to the rim like we anticipated he would. And that's when somebody is going to get dunked on.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Reed sure has turned out to be a pretty good player, the first 3 years went not that great. He is making up for it this year. Little has given the team a big shot in the arm and I hope that we can see him back later, even though I wonder about it. These two seniors have stepped up to the plate and made a big contribution to the team. Brady a 5th year senior on the other hand is a drag to the team. When he is in the game the team seems to go dormant, about the only thing he does it pass the ball around the outside, never looks inside much, fouls the other players for a 3 point play and then makes a stupid technical foul like the other night at Cal. This is not a good representive of a 5th year player.

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

truehawk: I know you asked this yesterday, but I really haven't read or heard anything about BMac! His stuff has been really quiet over the break. I'm waiting just like you.

I just read on theshiver that Daniels visit finishes up today at UT. According to Mascott, it sounds like it's down to UT and KU. There are a couple of posters who think Daniels will recommit to Texas, but those are just rumors. They may be right in the end, but just rumors so don't take it more than it is at the moment.

jmonley 3 years, 3 months ago

Yet another way to get Brady or Tyrel into a column. Ever wonder why the 9th & 10th best players on the team get so much ink around here? I sure do.

For the record, I like Reed's game, but Tom your best "pure shooter" from long range is .345 from beyond the arc. I am sure you will tell us how dangerous Brady is from downtown in a future piece, even though he is scared to look at the basket when he has the ball. And when he does look at it the fans are scared. I am pretty sure Josh Selby is the best shooter on this team, pure or otherwise.

shawk13 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree that Tyrel will be benefiting when Selby cuts to the basket and pulls defenders then kicks it out for the three, but that wasn't how Tyrel got his points against Cal. He earned them by playing hard-nosed basketball. When Selby started driving towards the end of that game, he kicked it out to Reed for an easy three during one set and I saw flashes of things to come.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 3 months ago

daniels and mclemore should be announcing any day now you would think......updates should be coming soon..

NorthStarHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

All that early talk about Selby's potential of "disrupting" team chemistry when he became eligible is proving to be media hogwash-hype. Again the media "creating" news. This is a great example of how this young man is not only blessed athletically, but has the exceptional mental maturity to work within a team structure and it's only going to get better. TT, while athletically gifted, needs to focus and really work on his "in-game" IQ. If there has been any disruptions to team chemistry since Selby's introduction into game-time playing, a lot of it has come from TT. Stop trying to force "your" game and let the game come to you; take cues from the dynamic being created here between Tyrel and Josh. Great story Keegan!

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 3 months ago

How many coach Dooley's are there on the team?

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

Selby is getting away with some fairly easy threes now, after his first few games. There hasn't been a lot of tape for teams to study so far. As we get into B12 play, He will have been studied more and it will become more challenging for him to get the open looks that he's enjoyed so far. Look for more double teaming and lockdown defense on him. Yes, he's quick. He is like Sherron in comparison relative to the slashing to the basket. But, let's see how many times he converts to points or made free throws after being fouled down low vs. to's. That will probably distance the Sherron comparison. We watched Sherron go up and down in his effectivness at "head down/drive to the hole" plays. But, that was over more than one season. We will only have one season to eveluate Selby.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 3 months ago

Selby likes that he makes his teammates better. Love the leadership here and his unselfish attitude.

Credit to Reed though...he has worked his butt off trying to become better...and it's paid off. Wished he would of red shirted his freshman year so we could have him around longer.

Ku basketball needs more tyrel reeds in the future.