Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Keegan

Josh Selby gives Tyrel Reed a boost

Nothing in a game played at such a fast pace with five parts moving in scripted symmetry and five others trying to disrupt those movements is ever as simple as it seems, but on the surface, it appears nobody will benefit from the addition of freshman Josh Selby more than senior Tyrel Reed.

Videos

Self, players discuss holiday break

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self and players Tyrel Reed, Josh Selby and Marcus Morris discuss their holiday break.

Selby has the potential to quickly become the Kansas University basketball team’s best penetrator, and Reed is the best pure long-range shooter.

Maybe it’s just a coincidence that Reed set career highs in points (18) and rebounds (seven) in his second game playing alongside Selby, against California, but it didn’t seem that way. They looked to be a pair of guards already showing strong chemistry.

“I just know what Tyrel likes to do,” Selby said. “He likes to shoot from the corner. I drive and I know if I kick it out to him, he’ll knock it down.”

Selby’s arrival has made Reed a better player.

“I think it’s going to help everybody, including myself,” Reed said. “He can get in there and he’s a great passer as well. A lot like Sherron (Collins), he can penetrate and pitch to all the different guards. I think Tyshawn (Taylor) can do that as well, so we have a lot of different weapons.”

Selby seemed to know where Reed was going to be when. That’s not by accident.

“We work on a ton of different things every day, when a guy penetrates, where we need to be,” Reed said. “When a guy drives baseline, we’ve got to get to the corner. It’s just all about angles and staying in their vision. (Assistant) coach (Joe) Dooley is really good at working with us on that. It just comes down to our guards having vision and finding you in open spots.”

Reed has developed into more than just a spot-up shooter. His relentless drives to the hoop in victories against Arizona and Cal — two of the four Pac-10 teams KU has beaten — were nowhere to be found in previous seasons.

“That was a big part of my game in high school,” Reed said. “I wasn’t just shooting every time I caught it on the three-point line. Coach Self wants me to shoot when I’m open and I want to be aggressive, make plays at the rim, drive and make plays for my teammates as well.”

He’s even rebounding, taking advantage of his exceptional leaping ability, which tends to be overlooked because it’s not matched with similar lateral quickness.

“I definitely need to hit my man and go get the ball,” Reed said of what it will take to continue his recent trend toward rebounding better. “I think that’s probably what I wasn’t doing. I was probably just boxing out my man, making sure he wouldn’t get the rebound, and I wouldn’t go and get the ball.”

Reed played 35 minutes against Cal, but with Selby on board, Reed’s minutes could decline, to which he says big deal.

“There are going to be less minutes and guys will get fresher legs,” Reed said. “I definitely think for shooters and scorers, that helps. You have to look at it like it’s a good thing and not like someone is taking away minutes.”

Typically positive attitude from a guy who’s had an increasingly positive impact on the program since the day he signed up.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 7 months ago

Selby likes that he makes his teammates better. Love the leadership here and his unselfish attitude.

Credit to Reed though...he has worked his butt off trying to become better...and it's paid off. Wished he would of red shirted his freshman year so we could have him around longer.

Ku basketball needs more tyrel reeds in the future.

hawk316 3 years, 7 months ago

Amen, 2000. Tyrel is a great example why fans need to be patient with younger players and allow them time to develop and mature. Some fans seem to expect freshmen and sophomores to play like seniors, but usually underclassmen need several seasons to display their full potential. How sweet it is to see such talent come to fruition before our very eyes.

Tyrel, thanks for all your dedication and hard work, as well as the great leadership and example you provide. You represent the University well, and we are blessed to have you as part of the program.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

Selby is getting away with some fairly easy threes now, after his first few games. There hasn't been a lot of tape for teams to study so far. As we get into B12 play, He will have been studied more and it will become more challenging for him to get the open looks that he's enjoyed so far. Look for more double teaming and lockdown defense on him. Yes, he's quick. He is like Sherron in comparison relative to the slashing to the basket. But, let's see how many times he converts to points or made free throws after being fouled down low vs. to's. That will probably distance the Sherron comparison. We watched Sherron go up and down in his effectivness at "head down/drive to the hole" plays. But, that was over more than one season. We will only have one season to eveluate Selby.

kufaninmo 3 years, 7 months ago

i would agree with 99% of what you just said, but i would say some of his three's were NOT easy, as in fading away with a hand in his face against Cal. Dude is SLICK!

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 7 months ago

How many coach Dooley's are there on the team?

NorthStarHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

All that early talk about Selby's potential of "disrupting" team chemistry when he became eligible is proving to be media hogwash-hype. Again the media "creating" news. This is a great example of how this young man is not only blessed athletically, but has the exceptional mental maturity to work within a team structure and it's only going to get better. TT, while athletically gifted, needs to focus and really work on his "in-game" IQ. If there has been any disruptions to team chemistry since Selby's introduction into game-time playing, a lot of it has come from TT. Stop trying to force "your" game and let the game come to you; take cues from the dynamic being created here between Tyrel and Josh. Great story Keegan!

kcglowboy 3 years, 7 months ago

I respectfully disagree with you, NSH, regarding your claim that this was a case of the media "creating news" when they printed concerns about Selby disrupting team chemistry. The media didn't make that up -- they were merely reporting what both the head coach and Selby himself said before he started playing. It's great that (so far) those concerns have proved unfounded, but let's not blame the media for reporting what Self and Selby actually said.

NorthStarHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

GB...Thanks for respectfully stating your position. I still stand by my comment....I prefaced it by stating "...that early talk...". There were a number of print and TV discussions prior to the NCAA's penalty announcement -and particularly after the 9-game suspension was announced- focusing on Josh's ability to enter the team's rotation so late into the pre-conference schedule. Given how well the 'Hawks were playing without him, the 'hype" again and again was how can such an exceptional athlete come off the bench without disrupting the team's game-playing chemistry. Parrish, Doyel, Goodman, Winn, and even O'Neil (to a degree) questioned a smooth transition. And I say "hype" because 1.)it was geared toward lighting up the comments pages and prove their invaluable worth and 2.) if they really wanted to present sound journalism, they would have a much different story (albeit less sensationalistic) knowing if there is any college coach out there that is exceptional with handling and integrating talent and personalities, it's HCBS. The one report that actually talked to HCBS was Andy Katz's story in late November. In that piece, Self and Selby both stated no concern with coming in in mid December. Once he was able to return to practice, Selby was assigned one-on-one time with a coach to specifically work on his ability to enter the rotation smoothly. Selby was aware he had to be conscious of the fact the team was working well together and he wasn't going to disrupt it. During the final week, week and a half before the end of the suspension the media continued to jump all over this issue and pressed Self for comments. He admitted you never know what may happen, but the coaching staff was working to assure a smooth transition when Josh would be put into the game. So a lot of the discussion (speculation?) did come from the media. HCBS, the coaching staff, and the team were confident there would not be a road bump to the team's performance and efficiency with Josh playing. I believe we're witnessing an exceptional talent and individual. He's wired a winner and will do (or not do) what it takes to stay a winner. Mom S. has reared a well-grounded, confident young man.

Thanks GB for your discussion and I apologize for the "treatise-sized" response. RCJGKU!

Matt Brown 3 years, 7 months ago

Um, he came in late. We were doing great. Why exactly was this "hype"? And no, this isn't a great story. English is clearly Keegan's 2nd language. Seriously, hire a copy editor.

That first sentence alone is bad enough. Ugh.

hopsnhawks 3 years, 7 months ago

wow that is bad, when a sentence equals a paragraph you clearly have too many commas

Chris Bruning 3 years, 7 months ago

daniels and mclemore should be announcing any day now you would think......updates should be coming soon..

shawk13 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree that Tyrel will be benefiting when Selby cuts to the basket and pulls defenders then kicks it out for the three, but that wasn't how Tyrel got his points against Cal. He earned them by playing hard-nosed basketball. When Selby started driving towards the end of that game, he kicked it out to Reed for an easy three during one set and I saw flashes of things to come.

jmonley 3 years, 7 months ago

Yet another way to get Brady or Tyrel into a column. Ever wonder why the 9th & 10th best players on the team get so much ink around here? I sure do.

For the record, I like Reed's game, but Tom your best "pure shooter" from long range is .345 from beyond the arc. I am sure you will tell us how dangerous Brady is from downtown in a future piece, even though he is scared to look at the basket when he has the ball. And when he does look at it the fans are scared. I am pretty sure Josh Selby is the best shooter on this team, pure or otherwise.

TimmytheJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I love the articles about Brady and Tyrel. I'm just looking for more information about Connor, Jordan and Jeff. Those guys are the glue that holds this team together. What motivates them? How are the other players making their games better?

weegee 3 years, 7 months ago

One possible reason why they get ink?--They are both from Kansas. Isn't it nice to see some positivity about any KU player?

Dale Kroening 3 years, 7 months ago

The 9th or 10th best player on the team is only 2nd in minutes played, I didnt realize you are better at evaluating talent and whats best for the team than HCBS. Good thing your not the coach.......................

kushaw 3 years, 7 months ago

truehawk: I know you asked this yesterday, but I really haven't read or heard anything about BMac! His stuff has been really quiet over the break. I'm waiting just like you.

I just read on theshiver that Daniels visit finishes up today at UT. According to Mascott, it sounds like it's down to UT and KU. There are a couple of posters who think Daniels will recommit to Texas, but those are just rumors. They may be right in the end, but just rumors so don't take it more than it is at the moment.

justanotherfan 3 years, 7 months ago

A shooter like Reed can't help but benefit from Selby's slashing ability.

As for whether teams will start taking away Selby's jumper - I doubt it.

Selby came into college as a great slasher. Teams knew that, and have played him accordingly, closing out expecting the drive, and making a wall around the rim. He has countered that by shooting extremely well from three. If teams start closing out on him to shoot, he will start getting to the rim like we anticipated he would. And that's when somebody is going to get dunked on.

Mark Wooden 3 years, 7 months ago

If a title comes to KU this season it will be because of Tyrel Reed.

CaramelMacchMan 3 years, 7 months ago

Couldn't agree with you more. I really think Reed is the Key for another title.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 7 months ago

As well as TRob and the twins staying out of foul trouble for 6 straight game in march/april.... or Jeff Witney learning how to play (ie not having your dunk blocked by the rim)

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 7 months ago

I like Reed as much as anyone else, but its only if he makes a last second 3.

Hank Cross 3 years, 7 months ago

Geez, you mean it helps when someone penetrates then kicks it out to a 3pt shooter. Who'd thunk it. That's been one of my major gripes against playing Brady all along. What's the point of playing a non-scoring guard who can't put the ball on the floor and make something happen for his team mates.

As for Reed, he really has improved vastly, beginning with end of last year when he started to get more aggressive on offense.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 7 months ago

I noticed this a lot lately. With so much emphasis on Selby, when he drives to the hoop, that leaves Tyrel so open. All Tyrel has to do is wait for the pass, make sure his feet are set and focus on the front of the rim. Money in the bank, baby! We'll see a lot of this, for sure.