Originally published December 16, 2010 at 09:24a.m., updated December 16, 2010 at 05:36p.m.

KU basketball player Mario Little arrested after altercation involving girlfriend, suspended indefinitely

Kansas basketball players Brady Morningstar, Marcus Morris and Tyshawn Taylor discussed how Mario Little's arrest would affect the team Thursday, Dec. 15, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Self, KU players discuss Mario Little's arrest

photo

Douglas County Sheriff's Office

Mario Little's booking photo.

Kansas University senior basketball player Mario Little was arrested early Thursday on charges of battery, criminal damage and criminal trespassing.

By late morning, KU coach Bill Self said Little, a redshirt senior who transferred to KU from a junior college, would neither play nor practice with the team for the foreseeable future.

"He’s been suspended indefinitely and it’ll be significant," Self told the media Thursday afternoon. “I’m not going to make any judgments until we see the police report and find out exactly what’s going on. (The charges) are misdemeanors, but are still very major and serious in our eyes. We’ll wait and see how that plays out.”

But Self did say that, in his opinion, this type of incident is not typical of Little’s character.

“Mario is a nice young man. He’s a good young man,” Self said. “He obviously ... it got away from him last night, (which is) very disappointing to me because it’s something we stress quite hard and frequently here.

“He put himself in a bad position and exercised poor judgment, but that doesn’t take away from the fact he’s still on our team.”

Lawrence police say Little went to a residence in the 1200 block of Ohio Street to see a 22-year-old Lawrence woman, who police identified as his girlfriend. When he got there, she was inside the residence, with a 19-year-old Lawrence man, who is on KU’s baseball team. Little got into an altercation with that man.

Self said the female victim is a former manager for the basketball team who left the team a few weeks ago. He said he expected her to return to work for the athletics department at some time.

It is Journal-World policy not to identify victims of crimes.

Little, 22, was booked into jail about 5 a.m., posted $700 bond and was released, according to a jail staffer and records. He was given a notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court.

“I apologize for what happened last night,” Little said in a statement. “I feel awful, and I understand that I will have to deal with the consequences of my actions. I accept responsibility for those actions, and I apologize to my teammates for being irresponsible.”

Lawrence police Sgt. Matt Sarna gave this account of the events in a statement Thursday:

• Little went to the residence on Ohio and confronted both victims.

• The woman got out of the residence and ran to a friend’s apartment in the same block. Little pursued her.

• “After Little entered the residence, Little pushed a 22-year-old Lawrence female resident in an attempt to find” the girlfriend, Sarna said.

• Then in an upstairs bedroom, Little pushed his girlfriend into a sink. Sarna said Little also pushed a 24-year-old Lawrence man, who was trying to intervene, into a desk.

• Several people then broke up the fight and subdued Little until police arrived.

• The 19-year-old Lawrence man had a minor head injury, and Little’s girlfriend had injuries to her neck. Sarna said both refused medical treatment at the scene.

Sarna said Little was arrested on four counts of battery, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing.

A 22 year-old Lawrence man, Brandon C. Macias, a KU baseball player, was also cited for interfering with the duties of a law enforcement officer, during the course of the investigation.

Gary Bedore, assistant sports editor, contributed to this report.

Comments

focojayhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Looks like you're done, Mario. If any of this at all is true.

87BurnUp 8 years, 11 months ago

Innocent until proven guilty. Who knows what the situation was. Could be a crazy ex-girlfriend for all we know. Self will handle this as he always does.

87BurnUp 8 years, 11 months ago

UPDATE: Forget what I said. Sounds bad now..

Justin Millsap 8 years, 11 months ago

Who is the "19 year old, who is also on the KU basketball team?" Stealing girlfriends can't be great for the team dynamic. How many 19 year olds do we have on the team?

Spencer Goff 8 years, 11 months ago

The girlfriend "stealer" is on the baseball team.

And in all honesty, if the girl is moving on with another dude, help her pack.

Justin Millsap 8 years, 11 months ago

Ah, baseball indeed. My wandering mind inserted a couple of extra letters in that word. Agree that it should not even have been an issue, unless she's REALLY smokin', of course.

kuballhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Looks like Mario had a half-committed, multi-tasking girlfriend..

TJWhatleyLives 8 years, 11 months ago

Looks like Self is going to have to impose a 10pm rule too.

Sam Constance 8 years, 11 months ago

Personally, I think Little is more of a liability than anything else when he's shoehorned into a "big" position.

I think he's a good player who can be really effective at the 3 spot, and he has shown flashes of promise this year, but I don't think the need for effective bigs is really the issue with him.

We've got 4 guys who, used effectively, should be more than enough. The 2008 team only rotated 4 true bigs--Arthur, Kaun, Jackson, and limited minutes to Aldrich.

I could totally see something similar this year, with Morris 1 & 2, Robinson, and limited minutes to Withey.

rdermyer 8 years, 11 months ago

All I have are grey boxes.

Here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865/ if you aren't using mozilla or similar, then you have more problems than I can solve.

Joel Teply 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't think he's much of a big man, as evidenced by his behavior here

jakejayhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Sad, sad news for Mario and anyone who might be a victim. Back in July I commented on how I thought Mario would be the fill-in for Xavier's vacancy. While he hasn't been a star this season, he has given some great minutes and done a lot of good things for the team. Doesn't look like that will continue with this news.

SelbyInc 8 years, 11 months ago

wow.... i wish i had the opportunity that these kids have...... i sure as heck wouldn't take advantage of it..... grow up, and maybe mix in some common sense. . . . .

Matt Gonzo 8 years, 11 months ago

Good gawd.....we are still trying to shake the negative off the fight between fb and bb players and now this.....Thanks Mario!

Chris Shaw 8 years, 11 months ago

Unbelievable. Mario just made it easy on Self to give Morningstar (Much to the detriment of the "Brady Haters" out there) and Withey more time. Just when you think this team isn't going to have any negative publicity........this happens.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

You're probably right kushaw, but I'm hoping that with a little rearranging, Mario's lost time will help EJ and Travis while giving Selby the minutes that everyone expects he will be playing. Unfortunately, this takes away a little bit from Saturday's game against USC. Hopefully, the distraction will not hurt the game.

FarSideHawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Sad to hear. Always liked him as a player and rooted for him. Not something you expect from a senior.

On a lighter note, seems like finding enough minutes to keep everyone happy just got a little easier.

Self4Prez 8 years, 11 months ago

WTF Mario. Is this how you 'fight for playing time'?

murph 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, it does sound like he was "fighting"...

Nick Thompson 8 years, 11 months ago

Really poor way to spend a Wednesday night...

Tim Bingaman 8 years, 11 months ago

Let's hope it was a case of mistaken identity!

This is the type of thing that is going to erode our team chemistry. The players, coaches and "Bubba" don't need this distraction.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure that he will be suspended indefinitely from team activities till the legal process clears the picture a little bit.

It may not be the end of the road for Little yet. We'll have to wait and see.

There have been players with legal issues in the past and there will be in the future. It's an unfortunate black eye for the school, but we'll get past it.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

I agree that KU will get past this but unfortunately for Mario, I think he is done. I'm basing this solely on the article and maybe the situation isn't as bad as it sounds but if the facts are correct, Mario's career at Kansas is over. HCBS let CJ Jiles have a second chance in a simular type of situation and ended up getting burned. I don't see that happening again.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 11 months ago

The good thing is that Josh Selby's appearance on Saturday will overshadow this incident.

Ben Kane 8 years, 11 months ago

he's done. what a shame. Withey's going to have to step up now.

kesmithstl1 8 years, 11 months ago

Withey can't step up! He's doing the best he can, he just isn't as good as advertised.

jhawksrule35 8 years, 11 months ago

Not only can Withey not "step up", I doubt that he can step sideways or backward either. He is the least coordinated KU basketball player since Mark Pellock! Did our coaches ever watch film on him, or did they just see some stills that said "REALLY TALL", and sign him up?

Scott Smetana 8 years, 11 months ago

Couldn't agree more. Sounds like a domestic dispute. Often the police have to arrest someone.

We all know there's more than 1 side to every story like this.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, except that he seems to indicate he did it, whatever it is, by apologizing for his actions.

focojayhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

I hope there weren't any other basketball players present at whatever this "situation" was!

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 11 months ago

Obviously not, or they would have been included in this article.

focojayhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

I am thinking not also. However, this article barely gives any info. Hope for the best!

REHawk 8 years, 11 months ago

WOW! Whether found guilty or not, messing around at 3 a.m. during the active playing season? Anyone who is overly critical of the salaries of coaches has not walked that extra mile in their shoes. Just take a close look at the tribulations of Division I coaches who have faced similar fiascos since the end of last season. Mind boggling troubles almost everywhere. Releford and Withey, here is your opportunity to step up.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 11 months ago

When I was a freshman, my roommate got a call at 3:00 AM on a Saturday. I was like "damn, who is calling at 3:00 AM?" It was Cedric Hunter, and he had a pretty big game against Oklahoma, who I think was number 1 at the time, that day. Now, I'm not saying Cedric Hunter was doing anything wrong, he very well may have been just hanging out, but kids will be kids...

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 11 months ago

Even if it was one of those "wrong place, wrong time" situations, one has to wonder what in the world he was doing out in the middle of the night during finals week. I'm really sorry about this. He hung in through some difficult time and was finally getting decent playing time and doing well.

mtdewjunkie 8 years, 11 months ago

its not that uncommon to finish up your finals on wednesday...it happened to me more than once.

Nikki May 8 years, 11 months ago

It sounds like a fight. Honestly. You get in a fight at someones house, they ask you to leave, you keep fighting, and maybe break a few things. Cops called, the end. Not excusing it, but if any other college guy in the city did this, we'd probably hear little to nothing on it. I'm not excusing it. It shouldn't happen at all.

That said, do they have a curfew for basketball players? If so, I'm guessing he didn't get home on time.

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

Sounds about right. The same thing happened to me. Rule#1 if you're a college student who gets in a fight- DO NOT call the cops or all parties get charges. LOL

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

In today's world, there is a tendency to include as many charges as possible..Not saying he isn't guilty of all these things but this gives prosecutors more room to maneuver a plea deal.

Jared Grillot 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah... "Battery" "Criminal trespassing" "Criminal damage", sounds like you probably nailed it.

Nick Adams 8 years, 11 months ago

All that would be fine if it didn't include harming women, but it does.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 11 months ago

As some fellow posters are saying on theshiver............Come on down DeAndre Daniels.

truefan 8 years, 11 months ago

Daniels doesn't want to play this season. He wants to red shirt and practice until next season, so although I want him to commit to KU, he won't help us this season either way.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 11 months ago

Thank you truefan. I am pretty up to date on the situation.

okiedave 8 years, 11 months ago

Give Little a break. He is innocent until proven guilty. This may be nothing more than some kid getting mad that Little for making a pass at his girlfriend and a fight ensured, little broke a vase during the wrestling match and the other kid called the cops and said Little was not welcome at his place - thus criminal trespass, criminal battery and criminal damage. But...... 3:00 a.m. ??? what about basketball practice the next day? Should be suspended for several games for just being out too late. Nothing good happens after midnight, wait.........or is it the best stuff happens after midnight.

focojayhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

haha, love the last part. sometimes great things happen after midnight.

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't really think there is any break to be given based on the fact you pointed out: this happened at 3am. As a senior he should especially be with the program and have it be second nature to not be messing around at that time of day.

It's possible he may be innocent, etc... but he shouldn't have been there at that hour in the first place, and that alone justifies a suspension of some kind. If he's guilty, then I don't see how he'll remain a member of the team.

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

By this definition, Taylor should have been long gone after the FB incident... Sherron should have been long gone after the sexual accusations incident....

Don't be a hypocrite. Innocent until proven guilty, and we don't know any of the details.

Keep in mind these kids are targets for this type of stuff, that's what happens when you are a celebrity. Everyone is gunning for you, and the smallest of things is suddenly blown way out of proportion.

kureader 8 years, 11 months ago

You were right the second time ... though Mario will probably disagree in this case.

The legal descriptions for stuff like this are pretty dramatic.
I hope it gets resolved. I like Mario.

RockChalkJacob 8 years, 11 months ago

If he's guilty how stupid. The kid redshirts to prepare for this year and blows it. Im sure Im not the only one getting sick of stupid decisions making our great program look bad!

vspillman 8 years, 11 months ago

So Bubba, you still wanna come be our new AD? :)

truefan 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah because players don't get into fights at other universities....give me a break.

Self4Prez 8 years, 11 months ago

Agreed truefan, this is (sadly) fairly commonplace

Viggo3003 8 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully he was beating up the football team, they need to toughen up.

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 11 months ago

lol... Mangino already tried that in the past, but the KU culture has shown it prefers a much kinder, gentler approach... ;-)

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 11 months ago

Judging from your id name and your comment, you don't think straight!

knightmare34 8 years, 11 months ago

How can you possibly blame a guy who hasn't even been introduced as our new AD? Give him a chance.

Ron Prichard 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, this is all Perkins' fault!! If it's not Perkins, it's Bubba's fault!! He hasn't even announced he's coming to KU yet. Get a grip.

brooksmd 8 years, 11 months ago

No, you all have it wrong. It's Bush's fault.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure it's because he was up studying late and the pressure of finals was to much for him to handle and he snapped ;)

Jared Grillot 8 years, 11 months ago

Finals always made ME want to beat somebody.

honk_for_hawks 8 years, 11 months ago

I was at Anschutz pulling an all nighter for a biochem test last night and I felt like beating someone up.

deepind 8 years, 11 months ago

That might actually work as a good legal defense... if indeed he was studying late! :)

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

doubt it's true. Mario is stand up guy from everything i've heard, read, interviews, etc. I'm going to wait until I start bashing on him. This team needs to stick together so crazy crap like this doesn't happen.

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 11 months ago

I'll hope it's not true as well... but....

I doubt the Lawrence police would arrest someone without due cause.

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

I hate to say this but, they do allll the time. I think Lawrence police are A LOT better compared to other places but Mario Little is a big guy-not suprised if they believed the plantiff's story. I mean, if you think about it's really easy to get arrested and charged with those three crimes. Ex:You're at a house, there's a fight, they call the police, claim that you wouldn't leave, and claim you broke something. The cops frantically write up all the charges possible. Anyways, this is the worst story ever to wake up = (

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 11 months ago

You can call me a fool, but I'm going to give the police the benefit of the doubt here... if there is a problem in Lawrence with law officials not doing their duty properly, then that needs to be brought to light.

You say they do it 'allll' the time... are you familiar with the details of various arrests in the Lawrence area???

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 11 months ago

Anyone who's lived in Kansas (let alone Lawrence) knows that the police are very deliberate. They make sure to charge a person with everything and anything up front. Doesn't matter if it's bogus or not. If there's anything they mildly think they can report, they do it. That way, it's on the books as such when the issue goes to court. The extra BS makes the case for the original charge look stronger, so the defendant will plead down all the BS and leave with the one charge that actually was real.

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

unfortunately yes. I got my butt wooped before and I got charges brought on me! I've had to deal with police several times in Lawrence-and trust me, they are the best law enforcement i've ever dealt with.That was in the past though.. If it was denver PD-i probably wouldn't be here right now. That was in the past though..

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

ugh-i'm still half asleep, sorry for the bad grammar!

So yea, the whole "boys will be boys" does not fly anymore. If you get in a old school fight you get tons of charges on you. That's why a lot of so called "men" out there couldn't fight there way out of a paper bag. I'd say fists are better than guns....

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 11 months ago

If it's not true, why is he apologizing? He did something stupid, or he wouldn't be...just saying.

esubrett 8 years, 11 months ago

Do you think that as the cops came in to arrest Mario the Mario dying jingle from Super Mario Brothers rang out. What a shame.

PJ Karasek 8 years, 11 months ago

haha yes, but seriously tho what a shame is right

thedudelovesKU 8 years, 11 months ago

haha! ya i'm sure that's what it was ahper...

does anyone else thing mario little looks like the allsate insurance guy...a.k.a. pedro serano?

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 11 months ago

Mario might be selling insurance in the near future....

Selbyville 8 years, 11 months ago

just google imaged Raheem Morris. UNCANNY

Selbyville 8 years, 11 months ago

he looks more like Raheem Morris, coach of the buccaneers. the resemblance is uncanny!

serisouly though. how do you mess this up Rio? life's pretty good for kansas basketball players, i don't know how you put that all in jeopardy

this hurts our front court depth something fierce, more minutes and need for impact from my boy josh though..

KUFan90 8 years, 11 months ago

Crap...another horrible distraction just as things were really looking bright...team gelling, Selby able to play,...now this. Incredibly disappointing and frustrating.

Tad Shurtz 8 years, 11 months ago

You speak the truth. This is infuriating.

Jeremy Bloom 8 years, 11 months ago

Frustrating for sure, but things could be worse...much worse. If it had to happen, at least it wasn't the twins shooting BBs out their window, TTaylor breaking a finger in a fight, or Selby leaving to play international ball. While it isn't good news, let's be thankful that it isn't critical to our team's future success this season.

jhawk314 8 years, 11 months ago

this news sucks i really liked Littles game. he has the best mid-range jumper on the team. but on the bright-side this makes Self's decision easier to shorten up the rotation, and more playing time for Selby

Adam Evans 8 years, 11 months ago

What a Jerk. Maybe the is an example of when Self was talking about when he said that the team was losing focus. Honestly, yes, he did give us good minutes, but with him in at the 4 spot I don't think we were very good. He got pushed around like a guard at times. I honestly think that this will make us better. It will give Withey a chance to step up, and give Brady and Travis more PT. I think Travis, being more athletic and in my opinion, playing harder, is a better fit in our rotation anyway.

And KUlove: Not sure why you would doubt a police report. Police don't just randomly say "Hey, you look like someone who would punch someone else in the face, so we're going to arrest you". There had to be some sort of evidence against him to justify an arrest. Even if it wasn't his fault, the end result was.

Ben Kane 8 years, 11 months ago

I agree in that I thought the 4 was not his strength.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

I think this will give Travis more time...but Brady and Withey don't need anymore then what they already get.

Ken Sedgwick 8 years, 11 months ago

3 am, battery, criminal damage, criminal damage. Wrong place, wrong time? Yea! And wrong brain! Burned toast!

Selbyville 8 years, 11 months ago

wrong place, wrong time, wrong brain. i might use that one from now on

Tony Bandle 8 years, 11 months ago

Agreed...that could apply to a lot of former ticket office employees, some offensive and defensive coordinators, some LJW journalists, etc.

jayhawkjed 8 years, 11 months ago

This would never have happened if Gill was in charge!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 11 months ago

Anyone have a link to the udk story in this? You know the board with the kids are saying what really happened (allegedly)

Ben Kane 8 years, 11 months ago

it doesn't appear that they have the story up right now.

Greg Lux 8 years, 11 months ago

Thats got to be breaking team curfew also ( maybe a worse offense ). How can a MAN with a great opportunity for a future be so f...ing dumb. He just kissed his future goodbye at KU and although he is not a key player on this team. He is a good part that will hurt us down the road. A would also bet drugs of alcohol played a part in this ... This sucks

Ron Prichard 8 years, 11 months ago

Don't bring in something that isn't there. Wait to hear what happened before casting judgment on something like that.

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

Thought they had a curfew during finals week anyways-something doesn't add up. Those bashing Mario Little's character have short term memories or do not read or watch any added interviews they have available @ kuathletics, this site, and youtube. Throw the first stone shrugs.

3putt 8 years, 11 months ago

3 AM.Absolutely agree that this was a girl thing.Every man out there knows how crazy a female can make you,and the ONLY reason a guy would stay up that late.

midhawktx 8 years, 11 months ago

At least TT wasn't involved...that would have made an interesting story next to the headline story of the day.

HawkInAL 8 years, 11 months ago

Maybe this is his way of trying to take the pressure off of Josh.... Deflect some of that attention.

Korndogg 8 years, 11 months ago

CRAP!! Now we look like those P.O.S. over in Columbia. I hope a girl wasn't involed. Thanks Mario!!!!

Korndogg 8 years, 11 months ago

Sorry about that. Just pissed off that our program does this crap.

chriz 8 years, 11 months ago

Regardless of if he's guilty or innocent, these kids, most importantly, need to stop worrying about the technicalities of what's legally right and wrong, and instead focus on how to not put themselves into these situations. They need to understand that they are not beyond temptation. They are bright kids, but bright kids have emotions just like everyone else, and sometimes emotions get the better of them. Knowing how to avoid bad situations is EXTREMELY important. I hope these kids get can grasp this concept. Apparently, Mario had trouble doing that.

knightmare34 8 years, 11 months ago

I agree completely. This team has been through enough in the past to know that they need to avoid these situations entirely. I don't think Coach Self is going to be very forgiving, nor should he be.

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 11 months ago

Way to blow it Mario! We were heavy on guards anyway, now that Selby is eligible. Looks like Brady "Stickyfingers" Morningstar won't be losing that much PT after all. Does anyone else think his shot looks different. Funky rotation with a higher arc. I hope he continues to hit the open jumper and limit the turnovers like he did last year.

REHawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Let's hope to hell that none of the other team members were involved! None of the Giddens pied piper scene!

Bob Culwell 8 years, 11 months ago

Isn't it exam week? Why the hell was he even awake at 3:00 am?

Jared Grillot 8 years, 11 months ago

Have you ever prepped for finals before? Maybe it was just me (and my friends), but the "all-nighter" was pretty much standard during finals time.

Brianna Zaleski 8 years, 11 months ago

I highly doubt he was out at 3am because he was pulling an all-nighter studying for finals. If he wasn't studying for finals, there was no reason for him to be out, much less up, at 3 am.

Kent Wells 8 years, 11 months ago

It looks like he was trying to have an all-nighter. Just doing a little boning up for that big final.

Bob Culwell 8 years, 11 months ago

Yes. I've prepped and taken many, many final exams.

Not once did I prep by going over to my girlfriend's apartment at 3:00 in the morning and getting involved in what he's accused of doing.

Now, I'm curious as to how you imagine this whole episode was involved in preparing for exams.

jhawkpb23 8 years, 11 months ago

What a stupid decision to be making during finals week. Get your head out of your butt, hopefully there is more to this story. If not, we don't need you on the team anymore.

Byrd313 8 years, 11 months ago

Say a prayer that all our post players stay healthy...

garyr 8 years, 11 months ago

Great. First, loss to UNI in the tourney, and now this? What is this KU program coming to? KU UK starting to become mirror programs of each other. Watch out Bill Sellfish, the NCAA may be watching!!

Dean Huggins 8 years, 11 months ago

What on god's green earth are you talking about? There have been so many positives with this squad since last March; if you want to dwell on the past, dwell on 2008. Do you think 'Bill Sellfish' is somehow clever? First, it's misspelled. 2nd, please explain how this is selfish on HCBS's part. And never ever compare us to those cowards from Kentucky. Garyr, you grind my gears.

shawk13 8 years, 11 months ago

I share your sentiments huggybearhawk, but please refer to bangaranggerg's post directly above yours. Trolling is and has been spreading like wildfire to all types and areas of communication. If you aren't familiar with the concept, a quick search should yield you both Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary entries.

In this day and age if a comment elicits you to ask the poster "What on god's green earth are you talking about," it is generally safe to assume "troll" first, "ignorant person" second.

The internet is both a beautiful and horrific virtual place and, like many other cultures, it has its own quirks to be aware of. Hopefully in the future you will be spared the emotional uprisings that trolls seek to feed on.

AsadZ 8 years, 11 months ago

I still remeber how Mario was tye last player on the court/floor crying after loss to UNI. What a tragedy for this kid who red-shirted his senior year for more playing time. I hope that we get full details. I am confident that HCBS will make the right call about his future at KU after clear details are made available.

Chris Weaver 8 years, 11 months ago

Not too worried about the KU team. Somebody will step up and fill Mario's role on the team. They always do.

I am worried about Mario. I hate to see a young man with talent not see it realized. To whom much is given, much is required. I hope three things in this order:

1) Mario is innocent and will be proven so. 2) If not, Mario will be allowed to rehabilitate within the context of KU 3) If not, that Mario will learn from any mistakes and grow as a person because of them.

Jeremy Bloom 8 years, 11 months ago

KU Head Coach Bill Self released the following statement:

“Mario exercised very poor judgment in his handling of a situation. We’re disappointed in his behavior; it’s unfortunate that our university, our program and his teammates all have to deal with this negative issue.”

Little said in a statement, “I apologize for what happened last night. I feel awful, and I understand that I will have to deal with the consequences of my actions.”

Little will remain on the team while KU looks into the situation. The Jayhawks host USC on Saturday at 11 a.m.

-from KSN

beware0fph0g 8 years, 11 months ago

Yes, it is finals week. Whether or not HCBS imposed a curfew, I don't know. People have different finals schedules, and depending on the classes they take, can even be done on Monday or Tuesday. My guess is he's done with finals and decided to hit The Hawk for dollar night. I, and many others, have succumbed to that temptation on more than one occasion...

Jeremy Bloom 8 years, 11 months ago

"Little" more info from KU Athletics:

University of Kansas Head Men’s Basketball Coach Bill Self has suspended senior Mario Little from the team indefinitely after Little’s arrest early Thursday morning.

Little was arrested on misdemeanor charges of battery, criminal damage and criminal trespass.

“Mario remains a member of our team while we work through this process,” Self said, “but we have suspended him indefinitely from competition while we gather the facts of this incident. Mario exercised very poor judgment in his handling of a situation. We’re disappointed in his behavior; it’s unfortunate that our university, our program and his teammates all have to deal with this negative issue.”

“I apologize for what happened last night,” Little said. “I feel awful, and I understand that I will have to deal with the consequences of my actions. I accept responsibility for those actions, and I apologize to my teammates for being irresponsible.”

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

Still doesn't mean anything major happened...

I imagine it was a small scuffle with another guy, and things got blown way out of proportion... The cops figured they pretty much have to arrest the basketball player because if word gets out they let him go, it'd be a mess for them "favoring basketball players" etc...

I mean, it could very easily be a minor incident in the grand scheme of things... Lets hope that's the case, Mario is suspended for a hand-full of games, and then he gets to finish up his senior year having learned a life lesson.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 11 months ago

If this is true, very sad and very disappointing! What a great opportunity to be a member of maybe, the 2010-11 National Championship team. You just blew your opportunity out of the water---a lot of kids would love to be on a team like this----unbelievable!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 11 months ago

Maybe as a fifth year senior, his exams were all completed. Maybe he didn't start the fight but had to defend himself. Maybe he was called over to the location by a friend in trouble. Maybe there's more to this story than we know right now. Maybe he'll get a second chance ala Taylor, Morningstar and Collins. Maybe if he was 6'-9" instead of 6'-3" he would have a better chance to return. Maybe Coach Bill is thinking the NBA might not be so bad after all. Maybe every Misery and UKon troller will be popping up soon. Maybe this will be the lead story on ESPN this Saturday for the entire nation to see. Maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt at noon.

Maybe we should all not judge but just get through another frustrating event.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 11 months ago

3 a.m. is the key here. the old saying goes, "nothing good can happen after midnight."

anytime violence is involved, the kid must be dealt with harshly. the investigation will play out, and Self will handle it in the right way, but these incidents just keep happening....now you see why Gill has the "no women after 10" rule.

i hope, for Mario's sake, this isn't it for him. he better repent sincerely, fulfill all necessary punishment dealt out, either legally or by Coach Self, and work his tail off from now on. His career doesn't have to be over...but this is truly a one time shot.

pizzaboy225 8 years, 11 months ago

thank you. to be honest, I'm ok if he's kicked off the team by tomorrow. why was he anywhere but his bed or the library at 3am? it's like the ben roethlisberger incidents, when you're a high profile athlete, the main mistake is putting yourself in a situation regardless of what happens after that. in terms of basketball, i remained disappointed by his play this year but help some hope that he'd really start rebounding and playing more agressive offensively

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

So i'm assuming you want Taylor off the team as well right?

MkMorris should have been long gone after the pellet gun incident... Sherron should have been booted after his accusations in the elevator....

You people are pathetic.

pizzaboy225 8 years, 11 months ago

First of all, I'm arguing under the assumption that at least one of the charges actually happended. Two main differences, Mario is a 22 year old senior so the young and untamed excuse doesn't work anymore, and being out at 3am during the season and finals week. Taylor was a sophomore, and the morris twins weren't even freshmen yet. and the sherron thing was all accusations, if he would have been charged with anything sexual, then yes, i would have been fine with him getting kicked off. i know it's not the reality, but even self, as much as i respect him, has to start holding the players to a higher standard, even at the expense of our success

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

You think a year or two in college makes it OK for what Taylor did, but not in Littles case...

That's ridiculous. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 11 months ago

I miss the good 'ol days when KU athletes were arrested for more innovative and unique crimes...

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

obviously the police arrested MARIO because he was guilty of all three charges. If anything the police would have most likely done everything possible not to arrest him.

Yes you are right if this was any regular college student there would not be an article on the kusports page. but he is an athlete. just like all of the other athletes at ku, and they are all well aware that there actions will show up in the papers when they commit these acts. THIS IS BECAUSE COLLEGE ATHLETES ARE HELD AT A HIGHER STANDARD. How embarrassing to your program.

Its going to be pretty obvious that he is guilty when all the facts do come out, but who knows when that will be. 99% of the time you just do not arrest people for being innocent.

Just please stop giving the ole poor mario speech. He got caught doing something wrong and should be held accountable for his actions. If anyone else was caught doing something wrong last night at the scene they would have had their name right next to his, but it is only his name.

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

Actually in domestic disputes, it's usually standard procedure for the police to cite/arrest anyone involved...

Specifically this: "In many domestic violence situations, the mere allegation of domestic violence results in an automatic arrest."

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

all im trying to say is that he did do something wrong and im sure all charges are accurate. It just gets old everyone trying to take his side... lets think about this he got charged for battery, he most likely hit someone. so is it that persons fault mario hit him or her? no it is only marios fault.

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

That's fine and all, but what exactly are you suggesting? That he be kicked off the team?

Sherron, MkMorris, Taylor... All would have been kicked off the team.

All of them committed assault at some point...

I'm not trying to make excuses for Little, what I'm suggesting is that people weigh a proper punishment... A knee jerk reaction to kick him off the team is absolutely deplorable.

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

i'm not saying to be kicked of the team but a 3 game suspension (i know thats not what it right now) is not a proper punishment. maybe a 10 game suspension. an example needs to be made. these basketball players who are held at such a high standard in this community cannot have no consequences to their actions. Look at the BB and FB fights last year... what were the punishments? a little extra conditioning? they all should have been punished along with the incident that happened on campus the next day. Sorry that he has to be the example but a school that is hurting on image right now needs to set a tone. Do you think if this was another athlete on a different sport that they would be on their team still? i would have to say NO.

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

Actually yes, it happens all the time...

But I think we agree, i'm not saying Little should get off easy (the 3 game suspension thing)... Hell, i'd be ok with him being suspended for half the remaining season... But I would hate to see him dropped over what may be a small mistake in the grand scheme of things.

We still don't know what happened (and we may never know the intricate details). I just hate to see him essentially dropped from the family over a mistake, when we should be holding him accountable and allowing him to learn from his mistakes... Hell, that's one of the biggest things he could take away from his college experience... Mistakes happen, consequences follow... But there is also room for forgiveness and earning back respect and confidence.

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

well the details are out now.... so him punching a guy... then tossing around his girl and then tossing around his girls friend....... is that the type of person you want on your team. someone who gets physical with women?

Ron Franklin 8 years, 11 months ago

What about OJ? He was arrested, and he was innocent.

Vincent Patterson 8 years, 11 months ago

Nicely done. I just knew what would pop up when I clicked the link. That was classic!

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

WHY WHY WHY MARIO? PLEASE TELL ME WHHHHHHY!

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 11 months ago

Eh, just add it to the list...

• J.R. Giddens knife/stabbing woes
  • Sherron being accused of bad elevator behavior
  • Brady driving after drinking (the worst IMO)
  • Numerous BB players fighting with FB players
  • C.J. Giles dragging a girl around by the hair
  • Mr. Morris playing sharpshooter with a BB gun
  • Now Mario charged, and indicating he isn't innocent by his quote

Not a good list... and I hope it stops there.

It certainly seems the culture of collegiate athletics (and not just at KU) has changed over the years... I was an undergrad when Danny Manning was playing, and I remember how he, Maddox, Piper, Newton, Scooter and the rest seemed so far from any of these things - they truly seemed to care about how they represented the university.

I know isolated mistakes are made by good people, but when you have a list like shown above, it makes you wonder what is up... I don't think it's a KU thing, just an example of culture in general?

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 11 months ago

Other fun ones to add to your list:

Jeff Hawkins - leaving the scene of a car accident he caused Wayne, Aaron and Keith were all involved in a fight at a bar before the stabbing incident.
Brandon Rush - arrested for 2 warrants for not showing up for court.

And my all time favorite:

Eric Chenowith: attempted to drive his vehicle off a tow truck that was hauling it off because he parked it in a tow away zone.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 11 months ago

Don't forget Brandon Rush's unpaid parking tickets.

Bob Thompson 8 years, 11 months ago

Growing up isn't easy, and even at 21 students are still growing up. I hope Mario learns from this, and returns to the team. He needs his friends and teammates more now than ever, and they need him. You don't just kick someone out just for a momentary lack of judgement.

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

No, you pretty much do. It's called most crimes out there. I'd say a lot of crimes happen due to the "momentary lack of judgement" so you can't really just dismiss that as "oops, my bad, won't happen again." He needs to go. This isn't family like blood kin. He represents the university and his teammates and you can't be out there making exceptions for poor judgement like this. Should USC forgive Reggie Bush? I mean Mario's been accused of pushing women. Women! That's a bit beyond a "momentary lack of judgement," no?

And you're right, growing up isn't easy, but neither is life. I've met 30+ year olds that are still growing up. Mario is a 5th year senior. He should know by now. After all, the "real world" is only 6 months away for him. Consider this lesson #1.

Rodin 8 years, 11 months ago

Sounds to me like he caught his girlfriend cheating on him. Crime of passion. There should be consequences, but judge not lest ye be judged.

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

I tell you what... the day I'm charged with FOUR counts of battery, we'll talk. We choose our own path. If every person that committed a crime of passion was given complete leniency, there'd be a hell of a lot more people on the streets. If a person can't control their behavior in times of passion better than that, they're not going to function very well in life. We face difficult, unexpected, highly-emotional events in our life far more than once. You either learn how to deal with them or you don't but the system isn't going to change for you.

kufan80 8 years, 11 months ago

Many of us are "hurting" for you Mario. Jayhawk nation is a big family.

Use this unfortunate obstacle as a chance to grow as a person.

Bob Thompson 8 years, 11 months ago

kufan80, you are exactly right. You don't throw away a family member for poor judgement. You love them, and share with them that they are family, and family's stick together and learn from their mistakes.

Matt Gonzo 8 years, 11 months ago

Why Mario, why? You were my hero Mario.... you poop mouth, poop in your mouth.

Whoops that was meant for Ron Burgundy.

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 11 months ago

Nobody has mentioned this: this is finals week also. What a dumb move on his part.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 11 months ago

lots of people have mentioned that.

It's likely that as a 5th year senior he could have been finished with finals by Tuesday night.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps Coach Self should institute Coach Gill's curfew policy!!!!!

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 11 months ago

We couldn't just let Mizzou one-up us!!!!!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 11 months ago

@ kufan80----I am feeling the same way you are----hurting!

@ slayr-----So true. He will have to live with it.

gorilla10 8 years, 11 months ago

Doubt this would happen on a Turner Gill football team.......

Bee Bee 8 years, 11 months ago

That's true Gorilla, Gill's team would NEVER hit anyone in anger!!!!!!! Especially during a GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gorilla10 8 years, 11 months ago

thats a different kind of "hit" danno....this has nothing to do with athletics......not funny

gorilla10 8 years, 11 months ago

haha, yeah good one man!

Why do I feel like I am still in high school when I read your comments

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 11 months ago

@ jayhawkinatl----- Your last post---HA ----- HA ------ HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 11 months ago

Rumor is he didn't throw a punch. First he jump on his head, then kicked a turtle shell, and finished him off by throwing fire balls at the victim.

kesmithstl1 8 years, 11 months ago

all for a Peach! If he just could have waited a few years, he would have had the capability of flying away!

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 11 months ago

Like Coach Gill says, "Chicks and late-night don't mix!!!!!"

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

so now that the details are out... is someone who gets physical with women someone you want on your team? there is no way someone can come up with an excuse for him to be throwing girls into sinks and another girl to the ground.... no way that should ever happen. is that some one you want on your "family". If this were a recruit... would you want this person on your team? No excuse for getting physical with women what so ever.

Ron Franklin 8 years, 11 months ago

The Scoop:

• Little went to one residence on Ohio Street to see a 22-year-old Lawrence woman, who police identified as his girlfriend. When he got there, she was inside the residence, and Little got into a physical altercation with a 19-year-old Lawrence man who was also there.

Sarna said Little was arrested and taken to jail on four counts of battery, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing. According to jail records, Little posted $700 bond and was released after he was given a notice to appear in municipal court.

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 11 months ago

"Women weaken legs..." -Mickey Goldmill (Boxing Trainer)

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 11 months ago

It all started with Adam and his apple woman.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 11 months ago

I know if this had happened at UK, NC, Misery, etc. most of the posters on this board would assume it were all true and think anything less than getting the boot was too soft. We can't make excuses for Little just because he is a Jayhawk! It certainly doesn't look good for Mario...

DevilHawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Good grief. This was entirely unnecessary for the team and school.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 11 months ago

more minutes for selby, yay!

little was going to be a non-factor on this team come league time anyway. good riddance

Bob Forer 8 years, 11 months ago

IMHO, the outcome should depend on whether the girlfriend had broken it off prior to Mario making his little visit. "No" means no, and "its over" means just that. If she had broken it off prior to Mario making his late night visit, then he's rightly toast, as his behaaior was premediated and suggests a "control freak" with no respect for others, especially women.

However, if this was just another routine late night visit, and Mario had no idea of "the other guy" then, while not excussble, his loss of temper, in the heat of passion, is certainly understandable and should be dealt with discipline less than permanent termination from the team.

Betrayal is perhaps the most serious non-physical harm one human being can cause another. We are all free to divorce our spouse or break off a relationship. But there's a right way and wrong way to do it. In plain language--leave, don't cheat.

chriz 8 years, 11 months ago

Good points there. I can't imagine how much that would suck as a college kid to walk in on your girlfriend with another guy. Poor judgement, nonetheless, but I can see where he's coming from.

yovoy 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't think he's "innocent" in any of it. From what I've read here I will say he's not "guilty" of anything but NOT striking anyone. Pushing someone (down) is different than punching them in the face. Sounds to me like he went out of his way NOT to strike anyone, that he wanted answers that he obviously wasn't getting, and that he wanted a bunch of nosy people to STF out of his way so he could handle his own business. That's no excuse in light of the position he holds at this U, but I can fully understand his situation (as I understand the incident from this article). I'm sure the holier-than-thou among us think this is completely inexcusable. I don't agree. Walk a mile in his shoes. Not everyone around the U is had an O.P. type upbringing. I doubt Mario did.

That block of Ohio brought out the worst in me at all hours of the day/night, and it wasn't caused by the bars down the street in the next block nor the Mosque that was across from me either. Good luck, 'rio.

Ben Kane 8 years, 11 months ago

like i said earlier, i think he's done. this is very unfortunate for him and i feel for him, but i don't see him playing another game for the jayhawks.

Max Ledom 8 years, 11 months ago

The only thing that pisses me off about this whole ordeal is that it is on the front page os ESPN. DAMMMMMIT!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 11 months ago

I guess BenMac's and Deandre's moms have seen it also.

Lacy Mohler 8 years, 11 months ago

My understanding his Little's girlfriend is a student manager for the team--according to Topeka Capital Journal. Sounds like some team discipline is due there as well. Isn't a player dating a student manager just asking for trouble?

Bob Forer 8 years, 11 months ago

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

So quick to throw out those insults to both parties... My guess is that you've done things in your past that (by your standards) would label you as bad or worse...

Of course in your jaded mind you probably think you are a beacon of perfection who has never done anything wrong....

Denny2009 8 years, 11 months ago

Don't know why people are amazed this happened during finals week, he could have been done by wednesday. During my time at KU I always felt exams week brought the wildest behavior out in students once they finished fall semester. After that last final it was always go straight to the nearest bar or party and continue on throughout holiday break.

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 11 months ago

Wow. KUAC has their hands full now if in fact she is a student manger.

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

I love how the website keeps pushing the story further and further down the list. Shhhh.... if nobody says anything, it's like it didn't happen. Nobody reads past the first article or two, right? Just leave the "KU shopping story" up there.

Look, I don't like the news anymore than anyone else but you are "journalists" and this is news (considering it's a KU Sports website). Might as well put it at the top where it belongs. Ignorance is not bliss, although if it is, Mario should use the "pushing women is bad???" line as his defense.

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

Do you honestly think this is going to overshadow Selby's playing? We haven't seen anything BUT Selby articles for the past week. Even sports commentators are saying that all the attention is unfair to him. Glass is half empty?

So you are one of those "ignorance is bliss" types? Yes, if you close your eyes and pretend nothing bad happens, it won't. Good luck with that. And remember, this is a news site... it's meant for "news"... not happy-go-lucky wishes. That's what us fans/commentators are for.

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

Promoting negative more than positive??? This is a news site. It's not about painting a pretty picture. It's about reporting news. I mean why not just leave the article about KU winning the 2008 title at the top? I'm clearly being extreme but you do realize that these articles are written by "journalists", right? These are articles, not editorials.

And kusports.com isn't a site about "liking" KU sports. It's a site about reporting on KU sports. Based on your theory, perhaps they shouldn't have even reported on the incident at all. Would that be more pleasing for you?

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion and clearly (or hopefully) my opinions haven't come across as personal attacks. I certainly try not to approach a good debate that way. So I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to attack you.

Having said that, I think being a journalist basically construes the idea of journalistic integrity and somewhat unbiased reporting. Clearly different reporters can put slightly different spins on things but at the end of the day, their job is to report facts and news, not personal agendas. My point wasn't that I wanted to see Mario as the top headline. It was that it shows questionable reporting and professional integrity (as a news source) to push a negative (yet very relevant) headline down the page when it wasn't even a day old.

And you yourself even said "It is about fulfilling news for the market they serve." Exactly my point. People come to this site to read about news related to the KU basketball team, good or bad. Imagine if the website never mentioned all the recruits that chose to go somewhere else. We'd constantly be wondering what happened to them. People read this site because they want to be informed about KU basketball, not because they want smoke blown up their a$$es.

And I don't think this story will be blown out of proportion. First of all, what Mario did was wrong so just reporting on it doesn't mean it's blown out of proportion. And if CBS comments on it, that is also completely fair. A guy who normally plays 10-15 minutes for us won't be. You can't just ignore that. These are basketball commentators and that is a relevant fact of Saturday's game.

And trust me, I assure you that they will likely spend 3-4x as airtime on Selby as they do Mario for the simple fact that Selby has been hyped for 8 months and because the expectations for him far exceed those of Mario. Stars (or potential stars) will always draw more media attention than non-stars. I promise you now that you will not hear about Mario for 2 1/2 hours on Saturday as KU is defeating SC and Selby is putting up 12 points (or whatever it is).

Tony Bandle 8 years, 11 months ago

Mario has earned a suspension, without a doubt, however playing for a year on one leg and red-shirting an entire whole season while not giving a hint of trouble for almost two years, in my opinion earns him an opportunity at redemption.

I think Coach Self will weigh all these factors, put a heavy punishment on him but, in the end, allow him a chance to make amends and play.

cobweb 8 years, 11 months ago

The sorority girls think it's cool to hook up with a basketball player and then realize that he's a jealous Neanderthal when she talks to somebody else. Am I getting warm girls?

Jace FitzGibbon 8 years, 11 months ago

hey this happened 5 blocks from my apartment lol

yeah no ones should be up at 3 am during finals. this place has been a ghost town

cearle23 8 years, 11 months ago

The football team last year and the baseball team this year... Come on fellas... just get along!!!

honk_for_hawks 8 years, 11 months ago

All these people who keep saying things like "we're better off without him" or "he sucks anyway" need to get their heads out of their rear ends. This is real life and it is bigger than sports. This shouldn't be looked at in terms of how it will affect his playing time, others' playing time, etc. Depending on how this shakes out, this could seriously affect his future in more ways than just how much longer his basketball career lasts. An assault charge could prevent him from getting certain jobs, the negative publicity could hurt his credibility in all aspects of his life, and if he did indeed hurt his girlfriend, it could make it incredibly difficult to change his reputation among women. I'm not saying he is guilty or not and I don't assume to know what SHOULD be done in any situation that this ends up turning into, but come on people, he isn't just a soul-less, emotionless, robot that is simply there for you to watch him play basketball. He is a real person and he doesn't deserve these comments in this difficult time.

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

Do you take this approach anytime bad news happens to anyone? I just want to be clear on that. Whether it's a political figure, an athlete, an entertainer, or a random Joe out there, this is your approach, yes? That when someone does something irresponsible that may negatively affect their life, it shouldn't be discussed negatively by others given the gravity of the situation? Because I'm willing to bet that if he weren't on the KU men's basketball team, you wouldn't care as much what people say.

You're right that Mario is not a robot, but let's not pretend like we the fans don't view any athlete like one. We "care" for them because of the uniform they wear and nothing more. That's the reality. We cheer when Mizzou players f up because of the jersey they wear. We praise KU athletes regardless of their actions because of the jersey they wear. If Mario was at KU but wasn't on the team, most people wouldn't given a damn. Might sound cynical but it's true, and I think most athletes recognize this fact. They get used (in exchange for a scholarship) for 3-4 years to generate wins/money for the university and then they're sent off. And if they don't perform during those 3-4 years, they're cut loose. We haven't evolved that much from the days of gladiators, my friend.

I will, however, agree with you on one thing. If anyone was a fan of his "from a basketball perspective" 24 hours ago and is now bashing him by saying "he sucks", while that does just go to prove my point, it also just shows pure contradiction. The man should be off the team for his off-the-court actions, not because of anything he did as a player.

honk_for_hawks 8 years, 11 months ago

I didn't mean to come across as implying that he was above criticism as an athlete or anything like that. What I meant was simply that the way some people are responding to this makes it seem as though this affects his basketball career and nothing else. They say things like "he sucked anyway" or "he was hurting us defensively in the post". While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think the focus on basketball kind of makes light of the seriousness of the situation. I mean the kid's playing time is the least of his worries considering what charges he is facing. Thats all I meant by what I said. I guess I didn't really think out how to word it because it is finals week and my brain is fried.

Jared Grillot 8 years, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, based on what the police report is saying, sounds an awful lot like you are right.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 11 months ago

Maybe she hurt her neck when he shoved her against the sink.

Rodin 8 years, 11 months ago

..on a rampage? Give me a break. Pushing people when you just found out your girlfriend is cheating on you is showing some restraint. Maybe not enough, but he could have shown a lot less. It is a shame and because of his actions he will/should have consequences. And no, it wasn't a run-of-the-mill lovers quarrel. She cheated on him!

yovoy 8 years, 11 months ago

Thank you, Rodin. That's what I was sort of saying above. We don't know that he pushed her into the sink. Maybe she was trying to hug him to appease him and he pushed her off. I've seen it happen. There was a hole in the wall and everything.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 11 months ago

To quote the old song........."Love, love, love, makes me do foolish things"

KUFan90 8 years, 11 months ago

I prefer the immortal words of Bel Biv Devoe : "That girl is poison (never trust a big butt and a smile)"

chriz 8 years, 11 months ago

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but hopefully this will somehow end up meaning more playing time for Elijah. I realize they don't play the same position, but Self mixes and matches so often with his guards that I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe Elijah can knock down the 20-footer like Mario used to. ("Used to." Sad.)

bclements23 8 years, 11 months ago

NotWiller 8 years, 11 months ago

I've been rooting SO hard for Mario, every time he takes the court. I wrote to this board 1.5 years ago, urging him to redshirt b/c it was the best thing for him to do for himself, after sacrificing his body for the program in his first year.

His game hadn't taken off as much as I'd hoped and believed it could, and every touch he gets I think "this is when he starts to break out." I screamed "NOW MARIO!!" about 200 times in Madison Square Garden last week.

I 100% believe in "innocent until proven guilty," but now that Mario has apologized/admitted, I really can't see room for doubt. Wrong place, wrong time, WRONG D^&*ED DECISION.

Beating up a girl..... We don't want this crap in Lawrence. Grow up.

He's going to regret this for the rest of his life.

If this kid admits to it and takes the floor for us again, we're exactly the same as Drew, Dunn and all that Baylor crap. How many of us have commented about the thuggery of Memphis, Kentucky, and others?

Integrity comes first. I will be totally disappointed if he wears the uniform again.

Reasonable people can disagree, but that's where I stand.

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 11 months ago

Couldn't agree more. I'd write additional points but I honestly think you captured it quite well.

"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 11 months ago

"Beating up a girl..... We don't want this crap in Lawrence. Grow up." I didn't see anywhere in the article where he even hit anyone, much less beat up a girl. He apparently shoved everyone in the room, which is nothing to brag about, but it doesn't constitute "beating up a girl."

hailtoku 8 years, 11 months ago

I was a huge Mario Little fan before this. He was one of the best pure basketball players on the team.

If any of this is true, I don't want to see him in a Jayhawk uniform ever again. We've got bigger fish to fry than dealing with the thuggery of an idiot.

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

so it comes out that it was a baseball player was with the so called girlfriend.... little hit him in the back of the head while the girl and kid were in the bed together... nice so now we will have the baseball team and basketball team going at it.

Theutus 8 years, 11 months ago

Ouch... Catching your girlfriend in bed with another man...

If that's the case, can't really say as I blame Mario at all personally. Given this scenario, i'd say he exercised quite a bit of restraint....

School will most likely do the PC thing and wash their hands of the kid. Too bad, he seems like a genuinely good guy, who just happened to be tossed into a situation where most guys would probably over-react no differently than him...

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

100% agree. I hope that girl is proud of herself.

chriz 8 years, 11 months ago

How about this angle--is this a lesson on why you need to choose your friends--and girlfriends--carefully? This could be any of us. I would be TICKED OFF if I walked in on my girlfriend and saw her with another guy. I don't know what I would do. Pushing him down, chasing my girl into someone else's apartment, pushing people down who may have tried to get in my way, who knows what she said or did, I don't think I would push her but it's hard for me to say without being there...

My point is that this could have been any of us. The only thing we can do to prevent this is to be extremely careful that if we expect our girlfriends to be loyal, we need to know their character before we invest in them emotionally. And, we need to understand that we can make a woman disloyal if we treat her poorly. It all boils down to basic wisdom, respect, and selfless love. I know this is hardly the topic for a sports forum, but I do think that this is the heart of the matter, and if we don't get it, nothing that we say here matters.

tophawk87 8 years, 11 months ago

2:45am? He was probably studying for a final exam, no? Oh, forget it....

Somebody was creepin on somebody.....that 19 year old better watch his back...

Steve Williams 8 years, 11 months ago

MARIO!!!!

cant you just say you play for KU and your name is Mario, and immediately have dozens of white girls diving for your junk..this girlfriend better have been a bad one

REHawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, I have read and reread the LJW article, Sgt. Sarna's account of events, Bill Self's brief statement and the many posts attached to the article. From what I can best determine, the brightest and most enlightening statement emanated from a poster Mangino_Maniac in his quote of a boxing trainer: "Women weaken legs!"

Perhaps that is the root of Withey's summer and earlyseason stumblings....

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 11 months ago

What I love about these stories is there is never "truth" to any of it.

Little has to apologize. Why? Cause he's in the media's eye and the University demands it. But that doesn't make him guilty of beating a woman or being a thug or anything you posters have said. All you know are the basic facts provided by the police. But based on that info, you've justified your opinion of him as a woman beater and a thug. Love it. Just love it. Real Smart Jayhawk nation. Real smart.

Based on most the altercations I've seen in my life, they are never one-sided. For every effect, there is a cause. If a kid got punched (reports 19 year had head injury), I'm sure he got punched for a reason. Is the punch justified? Probably not. But he also did something to get punched. Period. No one walks up and punches someone without cause... unless of course they are nuts.

Some 22 year old got knocked down. The facts state she got in Little's way. Same goes for the 24 year old. How many times have you seen an altercation where someone with a big mouth gets in the way and something bad happens? Not saying that's what happened, but that doesn't make someone a woman beater. It doesn't justify causing injury to another, but it doesn't make someone out to be a woman beater/thug. It means someone didn't use their head and stay out of the way of someone who by all accounts, they probably should have stayed out of the way of.

As for the girlfriend, it clearly states that she received no medical treatment. So whatever happened, he didn't seriously harm her. It says Little pushed her into a sink... but we don't know whose story that is. Doesn't say who said "he pushed her into a sink." All said, it's clear there's an untold side to this story that we're not getting at this point. So save your judgement until we have actual facts.

This sounds a heck of a lot more commonplace than Stabbings, Penis flashings, and Tow-Away Zone shenanigans.

Alohahawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Your points are well taken. Every eyewitness has their own version of what they saw or remember (or thought they saw or remember). Personal prejudices usually enter into the picture as well.The 1950 movie, Rashomon, is a perfect example of how people's recollections may differ. In the movie, a wife is raped. Four witnesses tell differing versions of what they remember, having been present at the time. The variations are considerable.

All this isn't a defense for what may or may not have occurred. I'd guess that Mario's brain wasn't in control, it was another part controlled by male hormones. He didn't break any one's jaw (as appears to be the case of another Big 12 Bballer), but the fact he was out of bed at 3 AM leaves little doubt as to his crime against his teammates and to the Jayhawk nation. All other charges must be proven beyond a doubt, if they are to be upheld in a court of law.

While I'm disappointed in Mario's actions, as a Jayhawk I reserve judgement and wish him well until proven otherwise.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm guessing the proper term now is "former girlfriend."

bjay7hawk 8 years, 11 months ago

ugh... doesn't look good... and im talking about the "booking photo."

KU_Dropout 8 years, 11 months ago

That's why male athletes shouldn't hang out with women after 10 pm. Score one for Turner Gill.

ariella0712 8 years, 11 months ago

HAWKTOPIA 8 years, 11 months ago

It is natural that we, as fans look through this as a basketball incident. But nothing is more dynamic than interpersonal relationships. God knows if we were judged by what we did with our girlfriend after 3am we'd all be in jail. There are a number of questions to be answered before we draw conclusions from his apology. Why did his girlfriend leave her apartment after he arrived? who were the other men? Who put the 2 shots of stupid in his milkshake? Was that baseball player rounding third, on his way home? Confucias say, man and girlfriend in bedromm with sink ready to go down the drain, or, all washed up.

JayhawkBigXII 8 years, 11 months ago

Confucias also say "Man who fight with woman all day - get no piece a night".

JayhawkBigXII 8 years, 11 months ago

I was a huge Little fan before this. Now I'm a little Little fan.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 11 months ago

Anyone remember what Mr Rythm in DC Cab said? "Don't let your d**k ruin your life". Same old story. Too bad for any young guy just about out of school. Also for the other young people. Education is supposed to make us better decision makers.

eastTXjayhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like the baseball team's getting a few hits in during the fall, that's promising news....

KUFan90 8 years, 11 months ago

One of the few times I have literally "laughed out loud" at a comment.

1jhawk2 8 years, 11 months ago

This sucks and really hurts the team more than most think. Little is a guy who could give a 5 minute breather here and there down low and muscle up a small forward defensively. He also was capable of getting a rebound or 2 which equals extra possessions. It looks like Releford may be able to get a few extra minutes if he can guard a small forward. Regardless of Selby playing, this is still a black eye to our program and most likely will overshadow his moment. FUMU and KSUcks can sit back and say what they want since they haven't had a player arrested yet.

Ty Mar 8 years, 11 months ago

LOL boy did that cop go nuts on the charges, you would have thought Mario was Conan the barbarian. Ok, i know i'm being bias here-but he's so big that if he even turns around fast people will fly all over the place if they are close. If he did push his gf-then he deserves that charge and to be suspended. Dammit Mario!

Craig Colgin 8 years, 11 months ago

Im gonna do my best to refrain from commenting on this until all the facts are a little more clear. But, I will ask the question: Why are we constantly having problems like this with our athletes? I don't get it. I don't want to accuse Coach Self of causing, or allowing this stuff, but I just can't remember this kind of thing happening before, let alone being commonplace. Every year it's something. Is it an internal problem, or is it just the change in generations? Could be either, I would like some feedback. What do you think guys? and gals? sorry

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 11 months ago

You'd be surprised, but it happens at a lot of places. KU is high profile and thus athletes have to be a lot more controlled which is difficult. I hope that he comes out of this as well as he could.

KULA 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, who was that who posted (before this broke) about what a clean program Bill Self runs? Really? How many of these guys have been "interviewed" by police for one thing or another? Who is he, Bill Self or Tark the Shark?

okiedave 8 years, 11 months ago

Mario committed a foolish act based on emotion that appears to stem from his girlfriend having a early morning fling with some 19 yr. old kid. It appears nobody was actually hurt and the alleged victims may have over exaggerated the altercation.

Little's biggest mistake was thinking that his girlfriend was really his girlfriend.

His second biggest mistake was not realizing he was better off without her and to just let it be.

I say, this is a basketball family, the incident sounds too hyped to kick him off the team. You don't throw 4 years of devotion for a temporary lack of judgment. Bill, give the kid an 8 game suspension and draw a circle on the basketball post and have him stand there with his nose in the middle and chant, "no gal is worth throwing your career away, because there are a lot of other hotties out there to replace her" at least 50 times.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

CJ Jiles was given a 2nd chance in a similar situation and HCBS got burned by it. Don't think he will risk that again 8nless he really believes this was an aberration and will not happen again.

Sean Doherty 8 years, 11 months ago

First time poster here. I had to add my two cents on this one. From what I take from the story is he walked in on the gal he was interested in while she was with another man. First of all this is how crimes of passion occur. It shows how "controlled" Little acted in this situation. It sounds like he wanted to talk this thing through yet she went to a house where she was friends with everyone (seriously, who wants to have a talk about cheating, in the act, at 3 in the morning? Obviously not her).

With that being said I believe, and yes call me crazy, that Little was quite reserved in how he handled the situation. With all sorts of anger and anxiety flowing through a persons body during this type of situation, its easily to see that person as a time bomb. In Little's case he did not go off. He just wanted answers. He's 6-6" 220-230 or more. If that man Little wanted to he could have ripped off that 19 years old arms and beat him to death with his own arms (sorry for the graphic nature but I believe you get the point). If he really wanted to hurt people, he could have. And short of a KU lineman or linebacker intervening, he could have tore the whole block down with everyone in it.

Think about what I've said for a moment. No one here seems to see this point of view. A push in little's mind and a push in your average scrawny nerd typing on the computer are completely different. If Little really "pushed" people hard, they would have gone through the Sheetrock and into the next room a la Terminator style. Think about it really hard now and then judge the man child.

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

PittHawk. Here is the thing. Do you know anything about that 19 year olds background? Perhaps he is a gold gloves boxer or part time ufc fighter or used to fight back in the hood... My point is dont be going around saying MARIO could have beaten the kid to death when you most likely no nothing about the other kid.

The thing is he broke into her room and punched the 19 year old in the back of the head while he was with the girl....use your imagination of what those two were doing in bed...... he then went on to preceding to chase her down into another residents home where he was not welcomed and pushed two girls around... obviously the two guys in the house thought that his pushes were excessive enough to get him to the ground and hold him there until police arrived. Imagine if those guys were not there to stop him from the push that could have put someone seriously in the hospital. He size is no excuse. He knows how strong or not strong he is. He knows his limitations. pushing around 110-120 pound girls ...what a tough guy....

Did anyone hear Self say that Mario and the girl are not girlfriend boyfriend? he said thats the wrong word.....so basically this happened over a booty call that Mario perhaps had more feelings for the girl than she had for him. Typical if you are dating someone at this age its a well know fact of people dating, friends know, facebook has relationship status's (which the girls has said single for a while), no one seems to have know they were dating... and thats because this seems to be a booty call that obviously went bad. So the thing is lets stop trying to spin this off someway in his favor when the reality of his actions are not good at all.

MARIO screwed up. does that mean he is not a good kid.. no ... self says he is a good kid ... i have to think he knows a little bit about that kid... but this is a wrinkle in his character. I hope to see him on the court but a substantial punishment should be handed down to him

Sean Doherty 8 years, 11 months ago

Opinions are just that, opinions. Until this matter has been fully resolved it is nothing but opinions and speculations, which is exactly what everyone here is doing. I'm not here to shoot down your opinion just like you did mine. I'm stating that no one knows anything yet and my opinion, as is yours, is just a small snippet in an untold story. If we were gambling on the outcome, I would not choose my opinion of the story. But the point is it's an opinion and should be heard and excepted like an educated human being views facts of a small bit of a riddle. Think about that one too.

Sean Doherty 8 years, 11 months ago

BTW, what is this about. Why was a fellow baseball player interfering with the investigation? Looking out for his boy maybe?

"According to the police report, Brandon Macias, a shortstop for the Kansas baseball team, interfered with officers while they were investigating."

From your post: http://www.kansan.com/news/2010/dec/16/forward-mario-little-arrested-thursday-morning/?sports

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

You will see him IN court long before you see him ON the court.

Steve Brown 8 years, 11 months ago

Not if he had his hands around her next.

David Howell 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, you slip up and others get to fill in the slack. With Josh finally joining the team then that was less time for Mario. I am sure that Travis, Tyrel and Brady will more then gladly step up and take the rest of his minutes.

As a senior, I have a feeling that Coach was expecting better behavior from Mario. By the time he does climb out of the doghouse it may be too late and or Coach won't recognize the player that did climb out (especially getting into the meat of the season). A good coach is always looking to make a good example of someone for the benefit of the team when opportunity presents itself, and this may be it.

4jhawks4ku 8 years, 11 months ago

WTF???? Sure helps out the coaches recruiting efforts.

Joe Ross 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't know if youre implying that players' legal issues hurts recruiting or not, but I dont think it matters. Two words: John Calipari.

WichitaHawk1434 8 years, 11 months ago

If true, Mario will go down as the biggest recurting FLOP in KU history. Hurt first year, red shirt second and 10 games 3rd.

WichitaHawk1434 8 years, 11 months ago

jayhawkinnc 8 years, 11 months ago

so who is the former KU basketball manager? is it Lacy Reed? if so, that would make things pretty awkward with Tyrel and team chemistry.

honk_for_hawks 8 years, 11 months ago

I would assume Lacy Reed lives in San Diego since last time I heard, she was engaged to Darrell Stuckey

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

Bubba has decided to stay at Tulsa. I wonder if this played in his decision?

KUFan90 8 years, 11 months ago

OK this was the 2nd time I literally laughed out loud at a post. Great comedy!

100 8 years, 11 months ago

I must say real irresponsible move last night by Mario. Don't know all the details but I know this:

Can any of us honestly say we haven't at some point in our lives had at least one fight over a girl?

Thank God that's the story. Sounds like more than likely he clocked the 19 year old.

Real bad move. Embarrassing for all. Probably a young man has a broken jaw. But at least it wasn't a Missouri type arrest.

Sticking up for your woman....

As long as that's all it was, he'll be back on the team.

100 8 years, 11 months ago

OK just read the entire police report. Looks like there was pushing of others to get to the 19 year old, including a couple girls.

Not good. Not good. I suppose the only positive left is that the only apparent attempt to injure was the 19 year old male who was hiding in the apartment.

Bad news all around.

CasperCorps 8 years, 11 months ago

Always fights over girls... Didn't CJ Giles get the boot for dragging his girl by the hair?.... Why the mug shot?... Really....... the mug shot? Did Sheron have his mug shot after the elevator incident?... Having the mugshot really sways public opinion in the wrong way...

100 8 years, 11 months ago

Because he punched a 19 year old guy in the jaw.

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

mario did not punch deleon in the jaw..... he punched him in the back of the head.

Joe Ross 8 years, 11 months ago

Ralster...how do you know that? Just asking...

FairgroveJayhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

It's a crappy turn of events for Little. There's minimal physical damage to people involved, but the potential to level a heavy blow.

Hank Cross 8 years, 11 months ago

Bye Bye Mario - There's no way he's ever going to get minutes again even if he gets reinstated (which I doubt). It's going to be hard enough to get Selby in the flow without having to carve up minutes to find room for a senior who will only have a few games left in his career if he comes back.

I don't care what the story is, he had no right to touch her or anyone else unless he was being attacked - which he wasn't.

Andrew Washington 8 years, 11 months ago

i wish things like this would stop happening. I thought all of this nonsense was over with a long time ago

David Howell 8 years, 11 months ago

Trust me down here in Oklahoma it will be a big deal. Someone KU related is even thought to fart in public and it is almost a felony down here the way they like to portray KU in the paper.

Anything to make OU and OSU look any better and they are all over it !

Who cares about Bubba Cunningham being our AD. What exactly does a small private university AD know about running a big time institution ?? Especially one that needs real guidance out of a ticket scandal amongst other things ..............

jayhawkintx73 8 years, 11 months ago

Oversight has been lost, and whoever the new AD is going to be is going to have to put his/her foot down.

You win games(Coach Turner Gill, read that one)

You abide by the rules(Mario Little?) And follow the law(Mario Little?)

The basketball program here is something that all the players should feel privileged to be a part of, and if you put yourself out there, you do become a role model. Kansas basketball isn't just followed in Kansas.

The football team, well, they have some work to do, but they better stay out of trouble to along with all other athletes getting a full scholarship to play for a fun school, on a beautiful campus, with 20,000 to 30,000 other students, most of whom are paying their own way at least partially.

The good thing is that Mario Little isn't a starter, but the bad thing is that he's talented enough he could have been.

It is a good thing that Bill Self suspended him indefinitely, but if he's found innocent in court he should be cleared by the staff, but only after that. We don't need that distraction on the team, quite frankly. I'm kind of betting the other players agree with that and Little probably does too, but I haven't asked them directly.

Its also good that this is his last year of eligibility, so it isn't like we lost someone with great upside that's going to be here the next two or three years.

The team needs to put this behind them, focus on USC Saturday, and win big with a guy that could be a four year First team All-American if he stays that long.

Joe Ross 8 years, 11 months ago

JR Giddens. Brandon Rush. Marcus Morris. KU BBall vs. KU FBall. Brady Morningstar. Mario Little.

Never thought Id see the day when KU basketball would be littered with legal incidents.

Steve Brown 8 years, 11 months ago

Ouch. Public figures ought to turn other cheek, much more not initiate physicality.

Helen of Troy may cost .... Hope she is worth what he spent.....

To the left, to the left. He'll be here in a minute. To the left,to the left.

shawk13 8 years, 11 months ago

After reading through the comments already posted, most of the views of this situation are pretty much covered. Pretty much every aspect of the "reporting" on a situation like this should be taken with a grain of salt. It would be very easy for Mario to be a bit of a victim of bias in this situation, and I say that in regards to all involved parties, except Mario, seemingly having friendly connections to the female.

A lot of my hesitance to accept this incident at the face-value it is being reported with is based on Mario's track record thus far, and I think Coach Self is taking note of that as well. I don't know Mario personally but IMO he conveys a selfless, somewhat humble and thankful appreciation for the team with his redshirting and quiet contribution in practice. However, it is quite apparent he wears his emotions on his sleeve (NCAA exit last year) and in this case they have bitten him quite severely.

Like it has been suggested already, the vagueness of the "facts" we know about the incident certainly make it possible to interpret the events as being the somewhat reserved aftermath of an emotion-driven (6-6, 218) man. The "put yourself in their shoes" cliché is most definitely overused, but, applying the limelight Mario undoubtedly has with his position, I know very few people who would keep enough of a cool head in a situation where a seemingly committed significant other is unexpectedly caught being intimate with another man (we don't know if Mario's situation 100% matches, but it certainly could) to completely avoid media (and subsequently/concurrently, athletic department) attention.

In fact, for the people speaking of integrity, how do you handle such a situation? Is there any justification for intentionally injuring another person? I would like to say no but there are certainly cases where society allows it, so where do you draw the line? I would even propose there is a sense of integrity involved with dealing with a situation like this. Being cheated on is a vicious blow to probably the most vulnerable aspect of being human, emotion. In hindsight it obviously would have been better for Mario to think through the situation and repercussions, and then act accordingly, but it seems reasonable to assume Mario's basketball career was far from the prominent thought in his mind after he walked in on his girlfriend in bed with another man.

shawk13 8 years, 11 months ago

Mario has seemingly kept his nose clean up until now, and I think any calls to kick him from the team at this point have emotional basis of their own. A person's reputation precedes them, and although it may tarnish the reputation of KU's program somewhat, this seems like it could be a situation where an otherwise quality person encountered an unfortunate situation, a lapse in judgment due to obvious play in emotions, and critical media portrayal of the whole thing.

I think there is a scenario behind these known facts that could make Mario’s actions forgivable, and I sincerely hope that Mario gets the most favorable of possible outcomes to this situation as, while he is by no means a star player, he is a team player with one of the purest shooting strokes I have seen and who has made obvious sacrifices to the team effort by redshirting and playing a position he is not really suited for. On the other hand, if he is truly the innocent-woman-harming monster that could also be gathered from what we know so far, I encourage his prompt removal from the team.

lbranchcrew 8 years, 11 months ago

Beautifully stated. Of course the situation can be interpreted in a million ways based on the limited facts given. Its extremely easy to report facts in a way that they portray a certain action or outcome without those actions or outcomes actually being true. (see Fox News) One could assume, if Little did catch his significant other cheating, then the outcome that has been reported shows Little was attempting to keep his cool as best he could. Many of you are obviously forgetting the power of young emotions, or emotions in general. It is interesting though, that it is those same emotions that compel one to form opinions before gathering facts. That is why one is guilty until proven innocent; that is why Fox News has viewers, and that is why many of you have written off Mario Little. Let the facts be gathered, let the case be tried, and then form your opinions... I'm sure that if you or one of your own is put into a situation where a bad decision is made, that you would ask for the same courtesy.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 11 months ago

Your comments on Fox News obviously originate from your pinko-liberal political perspective. Until Fox News, we had to rely upon your preferred reporting. Fox news has viewers because many aren't interested in the well documented liberal spin on every piece of news. Now, at least, there is a challenge to the liberal establishment.

Denny2009 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm tired of these athletes and other individuals associated with KU athletics embarassing our school. We give these student athletes every opportunity to excel in the classroom and on the field/court. We give them scholarships, most of these athletes barely pay a dime of their own $ for their education. And this is how 2 baseball players, a basketball player, and a bball "manager" act? Does the University have to hold these individuals hands more than they already do?.. I didn't agree with Turner Gill's offseason rules because I believe in treating college students like adults and allowing them to make their own decisions off the field.. but now I can see why these athletes essentially need a "baby sitter." These 4 individuals should be ashamed the way they just represented their University. Don't get me wrong this type of behavior is extremely common at every big Univ, but I'd expect a little more from those people who are practically given everything (for FREE) by KU!

lbranchcrew 8 years, 11 months ago

Kudos for saying "these four" and not just Little.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 11 months ago

Why? Seems that Little put this event in motion and what did anyone else do that was wrong? Running away? Trying to break it up? Being pushed through a desk? Letting a friend hide in in their apartment?

rockychalky66 8 years, 11 months ago

Can you please explain to me what the 2 baseball players did wrong? Deleon (one who was hooking up with manager) did nothing wrong. It is a known fact that Mario and Her were not "boyfreind/girlfriend" Coach Self even said that. Obviously Mario liked the girl a lot more than she liked him. Mario most likely got to attached to a former booty call and then got jealous when she moved on to a baseball player. Bottom line is you cant punch a kid in the back of the head and then chase the girl to the neighbors house and throw her around by the neck and then throw her friend to the ground. Then have to be held down by two individuals until the police arrived. come on. he's guilty plain and simple.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 11 months ago

Juco players - nothing good comes from them. There's a reason they started there. Need to keep this tramp out of the AD, too.